PDA

View Full Version : Is the Board under presure

happiehibbie
08-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Well there comes a time when people run out of ideas, I think this point has come for our Board of Directors.

I belive they are to blame for too many mistakes with the last 5 years

Speedway
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Well there comes a time when people run out of ideas, I think this point has come for our Board of Directors.

We really don't have a board anymore.

Rod's there, Jamie crunches some numbers and Gary is the secretary.

Amanda is the legal advisor, Bruce is non-exec.

Brian is the re-structure man.

It's back to being the Rod show. Who else manages the football business?

MB62
08-04-2013, 02:18 PM

We are owned by a man who has no interest in football.
Run by a C.E. who has no idea about football
Managed by a man whom the jury is well and truly out on whether he is up to the job.

Hints of a wee problem there I would suggest and why we heading for a 2nd bottom finish in the league again this season.

RIP
08-04-2013, 03:26 PM

A board can only come under pressure (to resign) from it's owners or shareholders

So unless Sir Tom Farmer is unhappy - then their positions would be reasonably secure

silverhibee
08-04-2013, 03:40 PM
No is the simple answer.

Bostonhibby
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM
No is the simple answer.

:agree: The structure of the business is such that unless Farmer Sneezes Petrie won't catch a cold and the other board members roles are pretty much as described above, incidental. In STF and Rod we have to trust........until they say otherwise. Keep the faith.

Craig_in_Prague
08-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Sometimes in life, human nature ensures we perform better under some pressure - maybe that's the whole problem at Hibs or a football club... where there isn't really much pressure on RP & the board to deliver. Given our so called 'resources' compared to other SPL clubs, they have failed miserably. Yet, we continue to go forward as a soft, pathetic club that others love to play.
Still, the balance sheet looks nae too bad, so we can always enjoy that over a pint after games I suppose.

(dont get me wrong, being in a decent financial position and completing our infrastructure is a fantastic thing - but we still under deliver on the park, which in the end, is why the club exists)

BEEJ
08-04-2013, 03:56 PM
A board can only come under pressure (to resign) from it's owners or shareholders

So unless Sir Tom Farmer is unhappy - then their positions would be reasonably secure
But a Board can also feel the pressure of failing publicly to meet it's own objectives on a consistent basis.

So in that respect, yes, I reckon they'll be feeling the pressure on Saturday.

Mikey
08-04-2013, 03:59 PM
But a Board can also feel the pressure of failing publicly to meet it's own objectives on a consistent basis.

So in that respect, yes, I reckon they'll be feeling the pressure on Saturday.

They might be squirming a bit if we lose, but in reality it doesn't matter what the score is as they'll all still be there in 6 month's time.

Speedway pretty much called it right further up the page.

BEEJ
08-04-2013, 04:02 PM
They might be squirming a bit if we lose, but in reality it doesn't matter what the score is as they'll all still be there in 6 month's time.

Speedway pretty much called it right further up the page.
It's not like any of their livelihoods depend on them retaining their Board positions, though.

They're not clinging on to highly paid posts with their fingernails. It's a different type of pressure (reputational).

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2013, 04:04 PM
We are led by folk who don't appear to know how to stop the rot, they sack a manager every 18 months or so but the team continue to make the same mistakes time after time.

You have to wonder when its time those at the top fall on their swords, but if the guy that owns us thinks they are doing a good job, what chance do we realistically have? :rolleyes:

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-04-2013, 04:11 PM
In STF and Rod we have to trust........until they say otherwise. Keep the faith.

:hilarious

PatHead
08-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Over the last year or so the board have got a number of things right. Unfortunately the place where it really matters, on the pitch, is the area we consistently underperform. This season- with no Rangers, a weak Hearts, an Aberdeen as bad as we have been and a poor Dundee Utd team who felt it necessary to get rid of their manager- is a real opportunity missed. I was speaking to a Dundee Utd Director on Saturday who was on cloud 9 about finishing top 6. It is worth £500,000 to them. If they get to the Cup final they will have had a very successful season financially without selling anyone. When you look at their team very few of the players came through Dundee Utd youth system and they were often signed from lower league clubs or taken from other clubs at 16 through an excellent scouting system. Personally I think we should cut back dramatically or even scrap our youth system. The money saved could go on the first team to get us staying in the top half of the league. When the club are performing regularly in the top half of the league and getting the income from that we should start re-investing in youth. The first team should also play the same style to the under 20s to help them on their way to the first team

GreenOnions
08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
The board have done an excellent job in all areas apart from in their input into the football side of things via the appointment of managers :-/

Since Rod was appointed in 1997 the only two unqualified successes have been McLeish and Mowbray.

The Sauzee and Williamson appointments have been done to death on here.

IMHO - they dealt poorly with the Collins situation. Although ultimately I think Collins was doing poorly in the job by the time he left and had a lot to learn I can't help feeling that it would have been worthwhile doing more to keep him for longer.

Although most supporters disagreed with me at the time I didn't agree that Mixu should be sacked. That was a poor decision IMHO. He has gone on to show us in subsequent jobs that we ought to have stuck with him.

Hughes was not a successful appointment and neither was Calderwood.

Each manager since Mowbray has had a poorer inheritance than his predecessor and Pat Fenlon has had a massive job to do. For me - given the scale of the task - I feel it's far too early to judge him. There are certainly both plusses and minuses at the moment. The summer transfer window is critically important for Pat and for Hibs.

The board need to show that they've made the right appointment in Pat Fenlon. They've made too many mistakes.

WhileTheChief..
08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
We are owned by a man who has no interest in football.
Run by a C.E. who has no idea about football
Managed by a man whom the jury is well and truly out on whether he is up to the job.

Hints of a wee problem there I would suggest and why we heading for a 2nd bottom finish in the league again this season.

Petrie's been at Hibs for 20 years give or take. Is it really possible to do the same job for so long and have no idea about it??

Im not his biggest fan but I don't get why folk level this type of criticism against him.

Hibeesforever
08-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Both the stadium and training ground are in place and the Balance Sheet is reasonably secure. Rod's legacy is in place, so now is the time for him to step aside. Hibernian F.C need a charismatic Chairman who is going to set an ethos at the club that demands football success. In these tough economic times we need a dynamic board and a dynamic team. Marketing is improving but a flamboyant Tom Hart type is what the club needs.

JMac
08-04-2013, 10:10 PM
No, end of, post closed

smurf
08-04-2013, 10:30 PM
I am not so sure how much more they can do? I think the off field performance by the club is much more impressive than on it. The board have been let down as much as us the fans. The board as much as us the fans need to be rewarded on Saturday. The board having backed the manager should demand it as much as us.

matty_f
08-04-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't see how anyone at the club shouldn't be under pressure right now. After last season, the number one priority should have been to ensure that we did not have a similar season to last season.
In fact, it should have been a tipping point, we should have seen a club hell bent on success, a club determined to fight tooth and nail in every game and competition to win.
Drawing a derby should have been unthinkable this season, winning should have been all that mattered.
Instead we have all watched numbly as the team slipped from first to ninth in abysmal form with some abysmal football being played.
Rockets should have been put up erses a long time ago to make it clear this turn of events was unacceptable.

Too right the board should feel pressure, and they should be applying pressure down the way too.

Jonnyboy
08-04-2013, 10:48 PM
I don't see how anyone at the club shouldn't be under pressure right now. After last season, the number one priority should have been to ensure that we did not have a similar season to last season.
In fact, it should have been a tipping point, we should have seen a club hell bent on success, a club determined to fight tooth and nail in every game and competition to win.
Drawing a derby should have been unthinkable this season, winning should have been all that mattered.
Instead we have all watched numbly as the team slipped from first to ninth in abysmal form with some abysmal football being played.
Rockets should have been put up erses a long time ago to make it clear this turn of events was unacceptable.

Too right the board should feel pressure, and they should be applying pressure down the way too.

This

Cheers Matty - saved me a load of typing :aok:

Humo
08-04-2013, 11:06 PM

:top marks

I think we should keep Rod but have a bigger board with more specialized roles as Rod is good at balancing books - but that's it.
We need more active board-members that can specialize in the more football orientated matters and performance on the park and training.

And personally I don't think we should scrap the youth set up but we should have a larger and more efficient scouting network to bring decent prospects into the set up whilst brining in older more suitable first team players.

But untill that happens I reckon it will be finishing 10th or 11th for the next couple of seasons

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Farmer and Petrie have no pressure on them, they are the untouchables in Scottish football. A bit of fear can motivate and push real leaders to strive for better. I feel they are not motivated or driven enough for Hibs.

oregonhibby
09-04-2013, 08:18 AM
The silence after the cup final spoke volumes. This was a deliberate act by the Board. I think this was misjudged and reflected the continual "we will only say something when we want to" mindset. It failed to use the burning platform of the humiliation at the cup final as a catalyst for action. That however would have created an expectation that the Board would not have been able to deliver - this humiliation and season will never happen again.

The Board chose the quiet route and then gave a call to arms which many people answered and have made a contribution. The AGM was timed perfectly and the remarkable transformation was trumpeted as a great success. True the point tally was nearly as much as the previous season but all this trumpeting was premature.

The truth is that there is no one out there with deep enough pockets who wants to pour their hard earned cash into something that doesn't give any return other than to the ego. Sir Tom saved the Club for the community. Rod run the Club so as not to lose money - well at least not too much - and the team has habitually failed to perform.

There has been progress, albeit to date marginal, and if we get to the final again the Board will be able to say progress has been made. Why because they took the quiet route. Excuse the pun, but they did not want to create a rod for their own back.

Will they feel under pressure? I hope so, because it is a great responsibility and honour (yes honour) to be a steward of something that means so much to so many and who spend a lot of their hard earned cash supporting it. To us the return is joy, pride, exhilaration, dejection and humiliation with far too much of the latter in recent years.

The Club has a habitual habit of not thanking people for what they have done for the Club. We have seen many calls to arms but few heartfelt votes of thanks. Time for some more effective communication from this Board.

Ambition does not need to cost money. In many ways it is a state of mind. It is not about a fortress mentality, it is about a way of thinking and working. So far the current model has failed and maybe it is time for a change of approach.

Pressure, I hope so. Pressure to perform and pressure to succeed. But most of all the pressure of responsibility.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Over the last year or so the board have got a number of things right. Unfortunately the place where it really matters, on the pitch, is the area we consistently underperform. This season- with no Rangers, a weak Hearts, an Aberdeen as bad as we have been and a poor Dundee Utd team who felt it necessary to get rid of their manager- is a real opportunity missed. I was speaking to a Dundee Utd Director on Saturday who was on cloud 9 about finishing top 6. It is worth £500,000 to them. If they get to the Cup final they will have had a very successful season financially without selling anyone. When you look at their team very few of the players came through Dundee Utd youth system and they were often signed from lower league clubs or taken from other clubs at 16 through an excellent scouting system. Personally I think we should cut back dramatically or even scrap our youth system. The money saved could go on the first team to get us staying in the top half of the league. When the club are performing regularly in the top half of the league and getting the income from that we should start re-investing in youth. The first team should also play the same style to the under 20s to help them on their way to the first team

The Arabs have some excellent prospects coming through also - Armstrong, Gauld, Soutar .. and IMHO we'd be mad to scrap our youth system. I'd rather we promoted the lads sooner and stopped peeing money away on dross signings.

JimBHibees
09-04-2013, 09:39 AM
The best Boards are the ones you dont hear from IMO. They must be seen to be good at their jobs however we are a football club and as such success or otherwise is seen on the pitch and we have been under achieving for a good number of years there. It does look like we have a number of decent young players coming through Stanton/Harris/Handling etc however the transition doesnt seem smooth though have been impressed by Boozy's direct play with the ball.

The style of football currently on show is not pleasing on the eye that is for sure however can be justified when winning, when not winning as now the criticism is justified.