PDA

View Full Version : Best way to hampden from queen st ?

hibeg
08-04-2013, 09:56 AM
We usually travel by bus but this time talking the train.
What is the best way to get from the station to Hampden ? Is it a long walk?
Planning on getting a train around 9am and having a couple of pints somewhere in the centre.
Also IIRC all the trains stop at Falkirk on the way through, not sure but if this is the case there must be potential for trouble !

davym7062
08-04-2013, 09:59 AM
walk to glasgow central and get the train to mount florida

JimBHibees
08-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Planning on getting a train around 9am and having a couple of pints somewhere in the centre.
Also IIRC all the trains stop at Falkirk on the way through, not sure but if this is the case there must be potential for trouble !

The trains to Mount Florida (best stop for Hampden) run from Central. It is 5 - 10 min walk from Queen Street. The trains to Florida are regular and only take 10 mins. Couple of minute walk from Hampden when you get off.

Cant see there being any trouble but drink and empty heads dont always work. You also have the option of the train via Uphall/Livi North/Airdrie etc to Helensburgh to also get to Queen Street. Think slightly longer but pretty good service.

Keith_M
08-04-2013, 10:27 AM
In addition to the train, there's also a number of buses you can get from town that take you to the east side of the stadium.

For instance, you can get the 75 from Ingram Street (just south of George Square). It runs roughly every 15 minutes and stops outside the Asda on Aitkenhead Road. That's only a 2-3 minute walk to the turnstyles.

Won't be nearly as busy as the underground.

EDIT Here's a link to where the Bus Stop (http://55.86008,-4.251118) is on the Map

hibeg
08-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys, I take it walking is not really an option as takes too long?

Keith_M
08-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Depends if you enjoy a walk, it's about 50 minutes :wink:

Delboy4
08-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Get a :taxi they are "Cheap as Chips"

Always get one from outside Central Station, there's a Q but doesnt take long to move!

silverhibee
08-04-2013, 10:38 AM

:taxi

DH1875
08-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Get a :taxi they are "Cheap as Chips" Always get one from outside Central Station, there's a Q but doesnt take long to move! If he's at Central Station why would he get a taxi when the train runs from there, the train is quicker and cheaper? Is it not kinda the same price for a ticket from Edinburgh to MF as it is to Glasgow?

DH1875
08-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Don't know if I've missed the point or not but the train always stops in Falkirk.

CraigK
08-04-2013, 12:17 PM
It should only be about half an hours walk if you know where you're going and don't dawdle.

Delboy4
08-04-2013, 12:30 PM
If he's at Central Station why would he get a taxi when the train runs from there, the train is quicker and cheaper? Is it not kinda the same price for a ticket from Edinburgh to MF as it is to Glasgow?

We always get off the train at Queen St, head round the bars for a few jars and then get a joe from the taxi rank or flag one down - there's a couple of bars in Weegie that if you buy a bacon/sausage roll they can serve you alcohol. Theyre just situated around from the taxi rank.
If there's 4 of you it only costs a couple of quid each and you don't get herded about like coos

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Don't know if I've missed the point or not but the train always stops in Falkirk.

Not if its going to North Berwick it doesn't! :greengrin

superfurryhibby
08-04-2013, 02:31 PM
We always get off the train at Queen St, head round the bars for a few jars and then get a joe from the taxi rank or flag one down - there's a couple of bars in Weegie that if you buy a bacon/sausage roll they can serve you alcohol. Theyre just situated around from the taxi rank.
If there's 4 of you it only costs a couple of quid each and you don't get herded about like coos

Exactly my thinking. I have shunned the train-Mount Florida scenario since the league cup final of 1985. An epic case of herding. It takes a max of 45 mins to walk from Queen Street

.Sean.
08-04-2013, 06:41 PM
The walk from Hampden to Queen Street is a nightmare. Done it after Scotland Serbia, around an hour I think.

Crab apple
08-04-2013, 07:13 PM
The walk from Hampden to Queen Street is a nightmare. Done it after Scotland Serbia, around an hour I think.

Agreed. We did the walk to Darkheid on Saturday and that was the usual experience. My son getting offered knock off designer gear in the barras, lots of tricolour strewn pubs on the Gallowgate blaring out 'let the people sing' and many pissed up weedgies. In the ground they were mostly quiet as mice.

cabbageandribs1875
08-04-2013, 07:42 PM

the Edin-bathgate-Queen st choo-choo doesn't :)

madabouthibs
08-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Choo choo no go to Kings Park, which is our end of the ground?