PDA

View Full Version : Sportscene

Mac
07-04-2013, 09:33 PM
That was embarrassing, what an utter shambles and as bad if not worse than last season, Fenlon stop talking the same old 'disappointing' line as YOU are clearly unable to motivate/tactically change things, I ain't looking forward to next week!!!

iwasthere1972
07-04-2013, 09:34 PM
That was embarrassing, what an utter shambles and as bad if not worse than last season, Fenlon stop talking the same old 'disappointing' line as YOU are clearly unable to motivate/tactically change things, I ain't looking forward to next week!!!

I never watch Sportscene when we get beat. I've hardly watched it the past 3 years or so.

Stringer
07-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I know. He always says that we didn't turn up or do enough to win the game. Motivation is part of a manager's job.

He is like Wenger. No awareness of tactics or motivation. He can find some good players thou, Williams.

smurf
07-04-2013, 09:40 PM
I know. He always says that we didn't turn up or do enough to win the game. Motivation is part of a manager's job.

He is like Wenger. No awareness of tactics or motivation. He can find some good players thou, Williams.

He is like Wenger?!? Really? If only...

They highlights were brutal.

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2013, 09:42 PM

He's as far away from Wenger as its possible to be. Arsenal always try and play football, when was the last time you could say that about us? :confused:

Stringer
07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
He is like Wenger?!? Really? If only...

They highlights were brutal.

Wenger isn't that tactically aware. Makes a sub on 60 mins without fail. I was more meaning his interview style thou. Always blames the mentality of the players.

gillythehibby
07-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Wenger isn't that tactically aware. Makes a sub on 60 mins without fail. I was more meaning his interview style thou. Always blames the mentality of the players.

You serious? Wenger's a superb manager. As for blaming it all on the PF, stop it please. The players have to take some responsibility. As soon as they cross the line, it's up to them. PF not blameless as it's his team, but not ALL his fault.

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm watching MOTD 2, and the commentator has just come out with one of the funniest quotes ever. Steven Gerrard goes down after a challenge, could have been a penalty.

He then said Gerrard is not the kind of player who goes down easily. :faf:

Stringer
08-04-2013, 12:09 AM
You serious? Wenger's a superb manager. As for blaming it all on the PF, stop it please. The players have to take some responsibility. As soon as they cross the line, it's up to them. PF not blameless as it's his team, but not ALL his fault.

FFS! I am not saying wenger is bad! Watch his interviews, always talking about the players mental strength.

Not blaming paddy. But he sets the team up to play defensive then bemoans the fact they don't look like winners on the pitch

jgl07
08-04-2013, 12:32 AM
He's as far away from Wenger as its possible to be. Arsenal always try and play football, when was the last time you could say that about us? :confused:

They also try to avoid winning anything. Hibs (and Fenlon I suspect) have won more than Wenger iin the last 11-12 years.

lapsedhibee
08-04-2013, 06:38 AM
They also try to avoid winning anything. Hibs (and Fenlon I suspect) have won more than Wenger iin the last 11-12 years.

Hibs have won a league cup.

Arsenal have won 3 FA cups and 2 EPL titles (including one where they went unbeaten for the whole season).

One is more than five only in yamathematics.

Ltyf :greengrin

Would be true to say that Hibs have won more than Arsenal in the last 7 years, but that would be to go down the Stevie "Fail" Fail route. :wink:

reversep
08-04-2013, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE=jgl07;3558208]They also try to avoid winning anything. Hibs (and Fenlon I suspect) have won more than Wenger iin the last 11-12
years.[/QUOTE

2 Premier league titles and 2 FA Cups in the last 12 years for the Gunners.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2013, 08:02 AM

:faf:

lord bunberry
08-04-2013, 08:10 AM

So we're now slating the manager based on sportscene highlights :rolleyes:. I thought they didnae like us at the bbc

The Sea-gull
08-04-2013, 08:14 AM
So we're now slating the manager based on sportscene highlights :rolleyes:. I thought they didnae like us at the bbc

They don't but there is no hiding form the fact that the manager is not performing and neither are his players. And they are his players now.

lord bunberry
08-04-2013, 08:20 AM
They don't but there is no hiding form the fact that the manager is not performing and neither are his players. And they are his players now.

Yes they are his players and they are under performing but you can't make a proper judgment on match from 5 minutes of highlights

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Yes they are his players and they are under performing but you can't make a proper judgment on match from 5 minutes of highlights

I'm no expert, but i'm guessing he based his opinion on the last 20 games, not just 5 minutes on sportscene?

The Sea-gull
08-04-2013, 09:06 AM

See post from Blackpool Hibs above.

DH1875
08-04-2013, 11:29 AM
They highlights were brutal. Game was even worse :(. I know it was Celtic but was a shocking display for a must win game. Just hope it was some sort of masterplan in the off chance we play them in the final. Also, I thought that they didn't show the managers interviews on sportscene.

Dinkydoo
08-04-2013, 11:42 AM

Against Kilmarnock.

lord bunberry
08-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm no expert, but i'm guessing he based his opinion on the last 20 games, not just 5 minutes on sportscene?

I was responding to the op who had just watched sportscene and started a thread called sportscene, so I was assuming on this occasion he was basing his criticism on the 5 minutes he had just watched on sportscene

Speedway
08-04-2013, 12:02 PM
"I don't think we showed up," lamented Fenlon. "I think we accepted we were going to be in the bottom six and we didn't give it a go.

"That's not good enough. That's what's been wrong at this football club, there's been acceptance of losing football matches. That can't continue.

"The season has been a bit of a failure. We wanted to be in the top six. We started off really well but we haven't shown enough hunger and desire in the last five or six weeks to maintain that.

"I feel you're judged on winning league games and we haven't won enough over the last six or seven weeks.

"We've got to have more commitment, more desire to stop goals going in, stop crosses coming into the box, stop people being able to turn too easily in the box and we didn't have that."

Hibs bid to reach their second straight Scottish Cup final, having lost last season's 5-1 against Edinburgh rivals Hearts.

"We've got a semi-final to look forward to, which is great," added Fenlon.

"It's a massive game, Falkirk are a decent side. I've watched them three or four times.

"We owe our supporters after last year's disaster in the cup final. We owe them another day to get back there and say 'can we put that right?'"

So why was that allowed to happen on your watch, Pat?

Golden Bear
08-04-2013, 12:23 PM
"I don't think we showed up," lamented Fenlon. "I think we accepted we were going to be in the bottom six and we didn't give it a go.

"That's not good enough. That's what's been wrong at this football club, there's been acceptance of losing football matches. That can't continue.

"The season has been a bit of a failure. We wanted to be in the top six. We started off really well but we haven't shown enough hunger and desire in the last five or six weeks to maintain that.

"I feel you're judged on winning league games and we haven't won enough over the last six or seven weeks.

"We've got to have more commitment, more desire to stop goals going in, stop crosses coming into the box, stop people being able to turn too easily in the box and we didn't have that."

Hibs bid to reach their second straight Scottish Cup final, having lost last season's 5-1 against Edinburgh rivals Hearts.

"We've got a semi-final to look forward to, which is great," added Fenlon.

"It's a massive game, Falkirk are a decent side. I've watched them three or four times.

"We owe our supporters after last year's disaster in the cup final. We owe them another day to get back there and say 'can we put that right?'"

So why was that allowed to happen on your watch, Pat?

:agree:

And sadly no mention of his team's inability to put the opposition under any pressure at all. That aspect of the game doesn't seem to doesn't seem to figure very highly in his thoughts.

J-C
08-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Just watched the highlights( lowlights in reality ) on web, atrocious defending( no pace or positioning, what do they do in training ), zero midfield, even the commentator said Hibs didn't look like a team who needed to win to get top 6. It really looks like Fenlon set the team up to sneak a win like they did at ER and it backfired dramatically, ultra negativity is not what we ant at Hibs, we have gone from a half decent looking team to a team that looks like they're in a relegation fight. For some reason we tend to get managers who start off reasonably well, then are able to turn our team into the worst in the league by the end of the season, truly remarkable :confused:

Greenblood70
08-04-2013, 12:38 PM
The disconnect that seems to be appearing between what Fenlon's said he's asked them to do and how the players actually perform worries me. I don't know if the players are wilfully ignoring him, incapable of carrying out the instructions or do what is asked and are then blamed anyway. None of those options are particularly encouraging imo.

Billy Whizz
08-04-2013, 01:54 PM
The 5/6 minutes highlights were kind to Hibs

Mac
08-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I was responding to the op who had just watched sportscene and started a thread called sportscene, so I was assuming on this occasion he was basing his criticism on the 5 minutes he had just watched on sportscene

That was obviously the most recent game and having just watched the highlights it wouldnt have made sense to discuss another game, clearly my points are an overview and not based solely on the highlights.

I dont get the opportunity to go to many away games outwith PBS but I do attend every home game, my opinion is very much based on an overview of performance of late and not just the Celtic game, we are dreadful at present and my points still stand, he doesnt appear to be able to motivate or is tactically aware to get things back on track, not confident for Saturday.

ancient hibee
08-04-2013, 05:24 PM

I'll take the bait.Is the tactically unaware Wenger that you mention any relation to the Arsenal manager who has built 3 different teams in 15 years while getting them into the Champions League every season?

ancient hibee
08-04-2013, 05:31 PM

I'll take the bait.Is the tactically unaware Wenger that you mention any relation to the Arsenal manager who has built 3 different teams in 15 years while getting them into the Champions League every season?

J-C
08-04-2013, 06:20 PM

And winning sod all for the past 8 or so years into the bargain, yep keep building losing teams.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2013, 06:47 PM
And winning sod all for the past 8 or so years into the bargain, yep keep building losing teams.

If we had a manager who got us into Europe every season, we'd call him a god. If our current manager had a 10th of the ability Wenger had, i'd be a much happier Hibby.

J-C
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
If we had a manager who got us into Europe every season, we'd call him a god. If our current manager had a 10th of the ability Wenger had, i'd be a much happier Hibby.

Huge difference between Hibs and Arsenal tho G.

All we're looking for is a manager who can get players in that play a half decent brand of football and challenging for Europe on a regular basis. Wenger said it himself he sees 4th spot as a type of cup, to me that's a defeatist attitude, his team should be winning a cup every other season.

lapsedhibee
08-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Wenger said it himself he sees 4th spot as a type of cup, to me that's a defeatist attitude, his team should be winning a cup every other season.

They've been paying down a £390m new stadium cost over the last few years, hence selling off best players and replacing with inferior. 2014 is supposed to be when that policy changes. If Wenger sticks around after that (ie if he isn't completely sick by then of peeps telling him how to do the job of fitba manager), I'd expect to see trophies return quite soon (and not just the 4th-place 'trophy').

When the yams build their £50m new stadium, I expect to see their special relationship with the Scottish Cup wobble a bit too.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Huge difference between Hibs and Arsenal tho G.

All we're looking for is a manager who can get players in that play a half decent brand of football and challenging for Europe on a regular basis. Wenger said it himself he sees 4th spot as a type of cup, to me that's a defeatist attitude, his team should be winning a cup every other season.

There is a huge difference between the 2 clubs, yet Wenger has managed to build 3 or 4 different teams who all play skilful exciting football, the type we went crazy for under Mowbray. And remember he won nothing either, but crowds went up to around 14k a week.

Compare that to the dross we are witnessing now, and crowds down folk moaning about their eyes bleeding, sorry i don't see any comparison between the 2 managers at all.

lord bunberry
08-04-2013, 07:50 PM
That was obviously the most recent game and having just watched the highlights it wouldnt have made sense to discuss another game, clearly my points are an overview and not based solely on the highlights.

I dont get the opportunity to go to many away games outwith PBS but I do attend every home game, my opinion is very much based on an overview of performance of late and not just the Celtic game, we are dreadful at present and my points still stand, he doesnt appear to be able to motivate or is tactically aware to get things back on track, not confident for Saturday.

I'm not overly confident for saturday either but losing just doesn't bare thinking about.

J-C
08-04-2013, 08:38 PM
There is a huge difference between the 2 clubs, yet Wenger has managed to build 3 or 4 different teams who all play skilful exciting football, the type we went crazy for under Mowbray. And remember he won nothing either, but crowds went up to around 14k a week.

Compare that to the dross we are witnessing now, and crowds down folk moaning about their eyes bleeding, sorry i don't see any comparison between the 2 managers at all.

Don't get me wrong G, I'd take a Wenger manager in a heartbeat as this would guarantee us regular top 4-6 finishes ( he can see potential ), unfortunately the teams he's built have all got this " as long as we get top 4, we're happy " attitude, compare him to Sir Alex, where 2nd is seen as a bad season. Seemingly Wenger has around £80-90m to spend, is he spending, no, why?? He has this belief that he can build his own team from scratch and on the relatively cheap, top players like Persie/Nasri/etc don't leave due to money, they want to win trophies and at arsenal they won't until Wenger spends big for world class players.

Wenger builds good footballing teams and for me I'd take that in a heart beat, as it would be a start. I watch Motherwell, Ross Co, Inverness etc all playing good attractive football on lesser budgets and all in top 6, something is severely wrong at Hibs and we need this rot to stop very soon.

I'm not comparing the managers, just the difference in the clubs themselves, Wenger at the start was a winner, he proved that and he still has an eye for a player, regular in Europe etc. We've not had a decent manager since Mowbray as you said, we look at the cheap option, are happy with a wee cup run here and there and a wee top 6 spot every 3 or 4 seasons, this isn't good enough and I blame Rod and Sir Tom for allowing this.

clerriehibs
08-04-2013, 09:49 PM

ach well. Just don't go.

Mac
08-04-2013, 10:38 PM
ach well. Just don't go.

oh dear, well tickets bought and as usual I will be there!!

for over 35 years i've been going along and I would guess there are more hesitation than over confidence and shouting about stuffing anyone over the years, personally been there, seen it and done it, if your jumping through hoops about the team at present and think we only need to turn up then your in cloud cuckoo land!!

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2013, 04:08 AM

He is like Wenger. No awareness of tactics or motivation. He can find some good players thou, Williams.Wow, just wow...

JimBHibees
09-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Don't get me wrong G, I'd take a Wenger manager in a heartbeat as this would guarantee us regular top 4-6 finishes ( he can see potential ), unfortunately the teams he's built have all got this " as long as we get top 4, we're happy " attitude, compare him to Sir Alex, where 2nd is seen as a bad season. Seemingly Wenger has around £80-90m to spend, is he spending, no, why?? He has this belief that he can build his own team from scratch and on the relatively cheap, top players like Persie/Nasri/etc don't leave due to money, they want to win trophies and at arsenal they won't until Wenger spends big for world class players.

Wenger builds good footballing teams and for me I'd take that in a heart beat, as it would be a start. I watch Motherwell, Ross Co, Inverness etc all playing good attractive football on lesser budgets and all in top 6, something is severely wrong at Hibs and we need this rot to stop very soon.

I'm not comparing the managers, just the difference in the clubs themselves, Wenger at the start was a winner, he proved that and he still has an eye for a player, regular in Europe etc. We've not had a decent manager since Mowbray as you said, we look at the cheap option, are happy with a wee cup run here and there and a wee top 6 spot every 3 or 4 seasons, this isn't good enough and I blame Rod and Sir Tom for allowing this.

Really I find them an awful team to watch.

J-C
09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Really I find them an awful team to watch.

Did you watch the last game against St Johnstone, may have been 0-0 but it was a cracking wee game, give me the way Inverness play any day at the moment to the utter dross we churn out week on week, oh and where are they in the league ??

Stevie Reid
09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Only saw Celtic's 3rd goal on the STV News last night - for want of a better expression, why are more folk on here not up in arms about this? It is yet another shocking decision in a horrible succession of them. By all accounts we sounded terrible, but 2-0 to 3-0 with half an hour left kills the game completely.

Many people on here earlier in the season insisted that we were only where we were due to luck - I argued that although we had some things go for us, we were a team playing well and deserved to be where we were. Similarly, I cannot argue against how bad we have been for a long time now, and the league table doesn't lie - but we have fallen victim to some absolutely appalling refereeing decisions recently, that have had a huge impact on our season.

JimBHibees
09-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Did you watch the last game against St Johnstone, may have been 0-0 but it was a cracking wee game, give me the way Inverness play any day at the moment to the utter dross we churn out week on week, oh and where are they in the league ??

No didnt watch that game, watched them v Hibs and in other games and although they won didnt think they were good to watch. They have a number of good players (Shinnie/Doran/McKay) and are doing well however to me they pack their midfield with big guys Draper, Tudor-Jones, Foran which doesnt make them particularly pleasing on the eye.

Being more attractive to watch than Hibs isnt currently a compliment. :greengrin

JimBHibees
09-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Only saw Celtic's 3rd goal on the STV News last night - for want of a better expression, why are more folk on here not up in arms about this? It is yet another shocking decision in a horrible succession of them. By all accounts we sounded terrible, but 2-0 to 3-0 with half an hour left kills the game completely.

Many people on here earlier in the season insisted that we were only where we were due to luck - I argued that although we had some things go for us, we were a team playing well and deserved to be where we were. Similarly, I cannot argue against how bad we have been for a long time now, and the league table doesn't lie - but we have fallen victim to some absolutely appalling refereeing decisions recently, that have had a huge impact on our season.

Couldnt agree more while it probably meant nothing in that game at 2 nil there is always the chance of getting a break and getting back in the game. It was actually almost as bad a miss as the Sparky goal one to be honest it was that blatant. We are constantly told usually by ref apologists wishing to abdicate responsibility these decisions balance out which to me is a glib comment that means nothing and is never checked up on. If they do balance themselves out we must be due a stack of absolutely shocking decisions coming our way, Saturday would be a start.

Moon unit
10-04-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm watching MOTD 2, and the commentator has just come out with one of the funniest quotes ever. Steven Gerrard goes down after a challenge, could have been a penalty.

He then said Gerrard is not the kind of player who goes down easily. :faf:
Take it you're not a fan then!!!...still a great player though!

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Take it you're not a fan then!!!...still a great player though!

Yip, hell of a player. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I