PDA

View Full Version : Top 6

hibbysam
07-04-2013, 02:50 AM
I see everyone stating we didnt "Make the Top 6"

Now my question is this...

Why is the "Top 6" that important? Like some sort of milestone for finishing in the middle of the table... Now You either win the league, qualify for europe, or get relegated, the rest for me, whether in 4th spot or 11th spot is none different, you gain very little financially and there is no prize to go along with "top 6" qualification...

Would we really have rather finished 6th and out the cups at earliest opportunity, thus making the season a success?

People saying we have failed no matter how we do in the cup as we finished in the bottom 6?

At least 4 generations of my family never witnessed Hibs win the cup, now for me that is Hibs' number one priority... Europe comes along with that... We will never win the league when Celtic have as much money as they do... So next best is a cup win surely?

Or would someone really rather come in the top 6 and not win anything? Serious question.

Eyrie
07-04-2013, 09:42 AM
I think the difference in prize money is £80k per place, so finishing sixth vs (say) ninth is a substantial financial incentive. There is also the fact that by making the top six there is the opportunity to qualify for Europe through the league and so the final five games have something at stake. Other than finishing ahead of the Yams, whatis left for us in the league this year?

The first target for anyone other than Septic therefore has to be the top six. After that it’s a European place, or at least as high a finish as possible.

The problem with saying that a cup win is more important than a top six finish is that cup wins come along once a decade or less, so they’re not something that can be expected. Given the comparative budgets in the SPL there is no reason for Hibs not to expect to be a top six club every year, and since a league placing is a truer reflection of our performances than cup games the failure to make the top six highlights that we still have a lot of work to do.

HFC 0-7
07-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Kind of a silly question really is it not. Top 6 this season and you still have a chance of getting a European spot, granted we can get into Europe via cup but that's definitely not guaranteed.

Then the big one, money. League placing earns or loses money, we now have a cap on that as 7th is the highest we can finish. Couple that with most probably reduced attendances because we hav nothing really to play for in the league. Also, generally the bottom 6 will have smaller teams away support revenue will be cut.

Dont get your point about rather being out the cups and being in top 6, not heard anyone say that, and why not have both?

Ozyhibby
07-04-2013, 10:49 AM
The bloke from Dundee utd said on Radio Scotland that making the top 6 was worth an extra £500k.
Unless you think we don't need the cash then I think that Fenlon's failure to make the top 6 is a big deal.

beensaidbefore
07-04-2013, 04:37 PM
The bloke from Dundee utd said on Radio Scotland that making the top 6 was worth an extra £500k.
Unless you think we don't need the cash then I think that Fenlon's failure to make the top 6 is a big deal.

his alone? i think its a collective effort that has seen us fall short. lack of goals in the team outwith LG has had a serious impact on our overall standing i think. looking for at least 5 goals a season from each of our midfielders to give us half a chance. Not sure what role PF can have in their lack of conviction in from of goal. potentially tactics is to blame, but that cant be the only reason imo.

JMac
07-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Obviously i'd rather win the cup than come in the top 6, but no doubt the bottom 6 is a failure, the fact that we couldn't make the top half of league this bad is disgraceful and god forbid if we finish below them, i'd be disgusted. Poor season in the league

BoltonHibee
07-04-2013, 04:53 PM

It just gets worse and worse!

dutchhibby
07-04-2013, 05:00 PM
the matches in the bottom 6 will be better IMO
less ££ for league pos but at least there is a derby to look forward to

hope ''they'' dont try to injure our players to derail our cup run :flag:

Humo
07-04-2013, 05:06 PM

Why is the "Top 6" that important? Like some sort of milestone for finishing in the middle of the table... Now You either win the league, qualify for europe, or get relegated, the rest for me, whether in 4th spot or 11th spot is none different, you gain very little financially and there is no prize to go along with "top 6" qualification...

Would we really have rather finished 6th and out the cups at earliest opportunity, thus making the season a success?

People saying we have failed no matter how we do in the cup as we finished in the bottom 6?

At least 4 generations of my family never witnessed Hibs win the cup, now for me that is Hibs' number one priority... Europe comes along with that... We will never win the league when Celtic have as much money as they do... So next best is a cup win surely?

Or would someone really rather come in the top 6 and not win anything? Serious question.

It is important because:
Increased money from position
It was in Fenlon's contract to get us there
A club of our stature with our budget and facilities should reach there as a minimum
A league without rangers and a weakened hearts should allow for a higher finishing position
Fans grow impatient with this style of sh*te hoofball the club has been playing and want to club to progress into bigger and better things (a title challenging squad that always qualifies for Europe)

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2013, 05:09 PM
It is important because:
A club of our stature with our budget and facilities should reach there as a minimum
A league without rangers and a weakened hearts should allow for a higher finishing position
Fans grow impatient with this style of sh*te hoofball the club has been playing and want to club to progress into bigger and better things (a title challenging squad that always qualifies for Europe)

Are you sure about that?

Humo
07-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Are you sure about that?

yes

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2013, 05:16 PM
yes

Ok.

Not doubting you. I hadn't seen anything in the public domain to that effect.

hibbysam
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't be there.. There is no chance there is an extra 80k per league placing...

But outside winning the league we should be looking at qualifying for Europe and winning a cup.. Now we are on the verge of gaining European qualification and have a real chance of winning a cup.. But some would rather have a fifth place finish in the league...

Also remember the money made from getting to a cup final and into Europe is probably larger than the 240k that would be the difference between 6th and 9th going on the 80k measurement...

Sir David Gray
07-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I think that whilst Sevco are out of the equation, we should be aiming for 2nd place so the fact that we're going to finish no higher than 7th this year is a failure. Simply getting into the top six should not be seen as an achievement for a club like Hibs but finishing in the bottom six is unacceptable.

Regardless of where we finish in the league now, if we win the cup next month then this year will be a success for the club and deemed one of the greatest in the club's recent history, considering how long it's been since we last won the Scottish Cup.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2013, 06:47 PM

An Arab neighbour of mine is extremely miffed at the fixtures though.

Missed out on games with Hibs and Hearts, a derby of their own with Aberdeen and a Dundee derby (the top Premier fixture outside of the Edinburgh one :agree:).

Motherwell, a regular cuffing from Celtic and two trips to the Highlands in return.

He disagrees with the 'bloke'.

Sir David Gray
07-04-2013, 06:56 PM
An Arab neighbour of mine is extremely miffed at the fixtures though.

Missed out on games with Hibs and Hearts, a derby of their own with Aberdeen and a Dundee derby (the top Premier fixture outside of the Edinburgh one :agree:).

Motherwell, a regular cuffing from Celtic and two trips to the Highlands in return.

He disagrees with the 'bloke'.

They'll have their "other" derby against St Johnstone though!

jdships
07-04-2013, 06:58 PM

In 'Top Six' difference in prize money is £80k per place - surely that is important enough fro ANY club to finish above seventh :rolleyes:

Iggy Pope
07-04-2013, 07:03 PM
They'll have their "other" derby against St Johnstone though!

Not as attractive as their 'New Firm' derby though, a game that's always well attended IIRC.

He didn't seem to care much for another game against St Johnstone and who could blame him?

I'll take his word for it.

eastterrace
07-04-2013, 07:09 PM

if we won more games we be in top six, so winning games gets more fans interested, also i lost out on £200 by not getting there , so in my opinion it does matter.

Jonnyboy
07-04-2013, 08:17 PM
yes

Are you Pat's agent?

Humo
08-04-2013, 11:03 AM
It is important because:

Also if there is another derby it may be at Tyncastle which would give the yams some much needed cash

Diclonius
08-04-2013, 11:09 AM
It is important because - regardless of my support for our manager - finishing below Inverness CT, Motherwell, St Johnstone, Ross County AND Dundee United is a ****ing embarrassment. And that's if we forget last season.

hibs4thecup1988
08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
yes

So will he be sacked then?

It would not have been in his contract, I can GUARANTEE you that. It will have been an objective however of the board that he gets us there.

With his improvement this year and another trip to Hampden coming up I feel the board will be happy with 7th(or above 11th!) and a cup final(if we get there!)

As for top 6 being important. Technically it is, we would probably have been on TV 3 times, HOWEVER, we will be guaranteed a TV game(the derby). Also if we finish above 11th...then we get an extra 80k anyway. So yes, even though 3rd or 4th would have been fantastic, even if we finish 8th then it is an extra £240k.

The cup is more important at the moment, apart from the derby imho.

HibeeN
08-04-2013, 11:53 AM
As for top 6 being important. Technically it is, we would probably have been on TV 3 times, HOWEVER, we will be guaranteed a TV game(the derby). Also if we finish above 11th...then we get an extra 80k anyway. So yes, even though 3rd or 4th would have been fantastic, even if we finish 8th then it is an extra £240k.

Might be wrong, but I don't think we get any extra money for extra TV appearances (apart from cup games.) The more times we are featured on TV doesn't mean the more money we get, I think it's just a set sum for all clubs. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though :aok:

hibs4thecup1988
08-04-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm almost 100% sure we get a certain amount per game? I could be wrong tho...

JimBHibees
09-04-2013, 09:19 AM
We will be missing out on a home game v Celtc which would be a nice amount however will be playing Killie/St Mirren and Dons instead.

frazeHFC
09-04-2013, 10:36 AM
The top 6 is important because when you look at our fanbase, finances, facilities etc compared to other clubs (especially the highland clubs) we should be doing a lot better than we are. Top 6 should be happening every year, sadly it's not happening at all right now..