PDA

View Full Version : Alphabetical Hibs Team

theonlywayisup
06-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Select your best Hibs team, but must be in alphabetical order. Try to keep to a balanced team i.e. not a team of strikers. I have started, but have some gaps.

A and N must be goalkeepers.

TEAM 1
Andersson
Brownlie
Cropley
Duncan
Edwards
Fletcher
Gordon
Hunter
Irvine
Johnstone
Kane

Subs
Leighton
McGinlay

TEAM 2
N
Orr
Paterson
Quinn
Reilly
Sauzee
Turnbull
U
Vincent
Weir
X

Subs
Younger
Zemmama

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Andersson in goals?

Joe Davis or Bobby Duncan at full back.

Willie Irvine up front.

Paul Kane up front.

Stan Vincent up front in Team 2.

theonlywayisup
06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Andersson in goals?

Joe Davis or Bobby Duncan at full back.

Willie Irvine up front.

Paul Kane up front.

Stan Vincent up front in Team 2.

Cheers. Who was Sam Vincent?

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Cheers. Who was Sam Vincent?

Stan Vincent's brother :greengrin

Stan played in the early 60's. One of the first players I can remember seeing.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player2.php?playerid=730

Jonnyboy
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Stan Vincent's brother :greengrin

Stan played in the early 60's. One of the first players I can remember seeing.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player2.php?playerid=730

Stan was a decent player too. He was unlucky in that Colin Stein was at centre forward when Stan also played there for the reserves. Probably thought he was in with a shout when Stein went to the now defunct Glasgow Rangers but Joe McBride Snr came in, scored eight goals in his first three games and before he knew it, Stan was sold to Falkirk.:thumbsup:

Edit: 31 starts for Hibs and 15 goals - impressive stats!

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 09:19 PM
In team 2,

Nish got injured in the warm up, and Tam Younger started in goals.

Can we also cheat and get Ulisses de La Cruz?

Or the late, great Duncan Urquhart...... 220 games, and less goals than Lewie :agree:

Jonnyboy
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
In team 2,

N got injured in the warm up, and Tam Younger started in goals.

:greengrin

N could have been the multi-talented, I can play anywhere, Newman :agree:

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 09:24 PM
:greengrin

N could have been the multi-talented, I can play anywhere, Newman :agree:

Or the even more talented Patrick Noubissie.

Hibs Class
06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Gordon Smith has to be the first S, Pat Stanton has the be the second.

Ray_
Select your best Hibs team, but must be in alphabetical order. Try to keep to a balanced team i.e. not a team of strikers. I have started, but have some gaps.

A and N must be goalkeepers.

TEAM 1
Andersson
Brownlie
Cropley
Duncan
Edwards
Fletcher
Gordon
Hunter
Irvine
Johnstone
Kane

Subs
Leighton
McGinlay

TEAM 2
Newman [loads of them played for the club in the sixties/early seventies, one surely was a keeper] :greengrin
Orr
Paterson
Quinn
Reilly
Sauzee
Turnbull
Urquhart George
Vincent
Weir
X

Subs
Younger
Zemmama

Beat me to the Newman Jonny :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
Tickle in the old memory banks brought back the fact that Yugoslavian goalkeeper Milo Nizetic (once of Hajduk Split) played two games for us in 79/80 before breaking a bone in his hand which removed any chance of him winning a contract. Played against Killie at Rugby Park and Leicester City at ER IIRC

Ray_
06-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Andersson

Brownlie
Caldwell
Dennis S
Edge

Fyfe
Glass
Hamilton W

Irvine
Jackson D
Kugi

Not the best team of all time, I'll give you :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Andersson

Brownlie
Caldwell
Dennis S
Edge

Fyfe
Glass
Hamilton W

Irvine
Jackson D
Kugi

Not the best team of all time, I'll give you :greengrin

It's fair. Willie Hamilton would take on Team 2 on his own. :agree:

Ray_
06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Tickle in the old memory banks brought back the fact that Yugoslavian goalkeeper Milo Nizetic (once of Hajduk Split) played two games for us in 79/80 before breaking a bone in his hand which removed any chance of him winning a contract. Played against Killie at Rugby Park and Leicester City at ER IIRC

I didn't remember him playing against Killie [think we lost 3-1]. Leicester City, Bobby Smith's return in a blue shirt, hat-trick by the real Super Ally, all made by a certain Mr George Best on a cold and foggy December evening in 1979, 3-2.

Jonnyboy
06-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I didn't remember him playing against Killie [think we lost 3-1]. Leicester City, Bobby Smith's return in a blue shirt, hat-trick by the real Super Ally, all made by a certain Mr George Best on a cold and foggy December evening in 1979, 3-2.

Killie game was a friendly Ray. We lost 4-0

Ray_
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
It's fair. Willie Hamilton would take on Team 2 on his own. :agree: Very true & Onion before the East Fife game was the best RB I've ever witnessed, Darren Jackson was also far from being shabby. I was thinking more of Caldwell [against Aberdeen], Edge & Fyfe.

Ray_
06-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Killie game was a friendly Ray. We lost 4-0

Yip, I remember now, the keeper played as a trialist :agree: wasn't it played about a week after the league game at RP? I was up the road at the time and was going to head through but something came up [thankfully]. I was due to drive back Monday morning but stayed for the Leicester game and then drove overnight back to London.

Jonnyboy
06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Yip, I remember now, the keeper played as a trialist :agree: wasn't it played about a week after the league game at RP? I was up the road at the time and was going to head through but something came up [thankfully]. I was due to drive back Monday morning but stayed for the Leicester game and drove back overnight back to London.

Yip :agree: Our scheduled league game against Dundee Utd was postponed because the Arabs were playing in the League Cup Final. Hibs tried to entice Valencia over but they wanted too much money so Rugby Park was the alternative :greengrin

Hiber-nation
06-04-2013, 10:05 PM
End of the alphabet team :greengrin

Younger

Van Zanten
Venus
Zarabi
Zambernardi

Weir
Zemmama
Vaz Te

Zitelli
Wright P
Wright K

Canny beat an attacking midfield, eh Pat :wink:

theonlywayisup
06-04-2013, 10:36 PM
End of the alphabet team :greengrin

Younger

Van Zanten
Venus
Zarabi
Zambernardi

Weir
Zemmama
Vaz Te

Zitelli
Wright P
Wright K

Canny beat an attacking midfield, eh Pat :wink:

Managed by Bobby Williamson.

Hiber-nation
06-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Managed by Bobby Williamson.

Suppose so!

BarneyBreslin
06-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Love reading threads where the older guys chip in with wee snippets of history I would otherwise not have known. No spring chicken myself (first game 1979 as a 5 year old) but love the old tales, wish I was there to see them in the flesh.

Moon unit
07-04-2013, 06:37 AM
In team 2,

Nish got injured in the warm up, and Tam Younger started in goals.

Or the late, great Duncan Urquhart...... 220 games, and less goals than Lewie :agree:

Z must stand for Zitelli who scored some fantastic goals in his all too short stint in Green and white!!!

ancient hibee
07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Very brave Stan Vincent-seldom lost a 50/50 ball -not tall either-smaller edition of O'Rourke.It's hardly necessary to add that when he came back to Easter Road with Falkirk he scored.