PDA

View Full Version : Should Petrie step down?

1875HFC
06-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Owing to the number of dissatisfied fellow Hibbies on this forum tonight, something is majorly wrong at the club and needs to change.

How many more years are we going to have a revolving turnstile of Managers coming in and out of the club with little or nothing to show for their time in Leith? It is evident that no matter what individual is appointed role of Manager they will be unable to bring 'sexy football' back to Easter Road.

IMO Something needs to change at the top and the only way this can be done is for Petrie to move aside. I 100% respect his business acumen and his ability to run a football club like a business (financial wise and living within our means) however it just does not give us fans much to get excited about nor fill us with much confidence that things are going to get better.

What is everyones thoughts?

Beefster
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Petrie but Fenlon has been allowed to sign a new team, including the likes of Clancy, McPake, Claros, Deegan, Taiwo, Robertson and Kuqi. None of whom would have been looking for sweeties.

You can't blame Petrie for Fenlon's tactics, signings, management or coaching. Unless he's interfering in team matters.

Row H
06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Petrie but Fenlon has been allowed to sign a new team, including the likes of Clancy, McPake, Claros, Deegan, Taiwo, Robertson and Kuqi. None of whom would have been looking for sweeties.

You can't blame Petrie for Fenlon's tactics, signings, management or coaching. Unless he's interfering in team matters.

Nice try Rod!

:thumbsup:

cabbageandribs1875
06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Mr petrie should stick to his irn bru adverts from now on :(

Beefster
06-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Nice try Rod!

:thumbsup:

Lord Petrie to you.

scuttle
06-04-2013, 07:20 PM

100% agree

Treadstone
06-04-2013, 07:22 PM
No but cannot be part of any recruiting decision bar the budget aspect.

Billy Whizz
06-04-2013, 07:23 PM
No but cannot be part of any recruiting decision bar the budget aspect.

He claims he wasn't part of Fenlon's recruitment, it wa down to Lindsay etc

Golden Bear
06-04-2013, 07:24 PM

This is all true but at the same time it would be naive to think that Petrie was not involved in Fenlon's appointment so he's got to carry the can for yet another poor selection.

Treadstone
06-04-2013, 07:29 PM
He claims he wasn't part of Fenlon's recruitment, it wa down to Lindsay etc

Then we need someone inside the game (ex player) with Hibs best interest at heart to recommend possible coaches/manager. Stanton would probably be ideal but probably been out of the game too long.

Beefster
06-04-2013, 07:30 PM
This is all true but at the same time it would be naive to think that Petrie was not involved in Fenlon's appointment so he's got to carry the can for yet another poor selection.

Absolutely. There's no doubt that Fenlon was a particularly risky appointment too.

As folk have said before, the club should have a philosophy and select managers who can fit into that. Petrie's got a lot to answer for the way certain aspects of the club are run but, beyond appointing Fenlon (or having a hand in it), I don't really think he can be blamed for Fenlon's shortcomings that have become apparent since he took over.

Pretty Boy
06-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Agree to an extent.

Petrie has backed the last few managers. The problem is he has got all the appointments wrong so is backing the wrong men.

Speedway
06-04-2013, 07:55 PM
What's the point of Petrie stepping down?

down-the-slope
06-04-2013, 08:41 PM
unable to bring 'sexy football' back to Easter Road.

What is everyones thoughts?

In almost 30 years of watching Hibs I have seen that mythical 'sexy football' only fleetingly.....and even then it did not bring success.

Top Pans Hibby
06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Petrie and Farmer are now "dead hands" and holding us back. New investment needed.

hibee19
06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Petrie and Farmer are now "dead hands" and holding us back. New investment needed.

Its not about needing new investment. No-one in the SPL bar Celtic has money but clearly something is going wrong at some level that is causing this decline.

Beefster
06-04-2013, 09:09 PM
What's the point of Petrie stepping down?

It won't happen anyway but what's he doing at Hibs that makes him so indespensible? We lose money, crowds are pretty static, we've finished in the bottom six for the last three seasons, we've had a few managerial failures and more. What's he getting right?

Jonnyboy
06-04-2013, 09:11 PM
It won't happen anyway but what's he doing at Hibs that makes him so indespensible? We lose money, crowds are pretty static, we've finished in the bottom six for the last three seasons, we've had a few managerial failures and more. What's he getting right?

I suspect some may argue that had he not been at the helm we might be where many other clubs are now - up s4it creek without a paddle. Sadly, that is seen as success in its own right

Alfred E Newman
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Why should Petrie step down ? I am pretty sure the teams that have finished above us in the top six, with the exception of Celtic, have been assembled with less funds than has been made available to Fenlon, Calderwood etc.

Beefster
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I suspect some may argue that had he not been at the helm we might be where many other clubs are now - up s4it creek without a paddle. Sadly, that is seen as success in its own right

I keep telling Mrs Beefster that I'm the perfect husband because the house hasn't been repossessed but she doesn't agree!

Jonnyboy
06-04-2013, 09:16 PM
I keep telling Mrs Beefster that I'm the perfect husband because the house hasn't been repossessed but she doesn't agree!

:greengrin

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Why should Petrie step down ? I am pretty sure the teams that have finished above us in the top six, with the exception of Celtic, have been assembled with less funds than has been made available to Fenlon, Calderwood etc.

But Petrie appoints the managers who squander these funds. Therefore he's ultimately responsible.

GreenCastle
06-04-2013, 09:18 PM
I've never understood why people with no qualifications to manage / coach a football team hire a coach / manager of a football team.

Can someone explain that? :dunno:

IberianHibernian
06-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Why should Petrie step down ? I am pretty sure the teams that have finished above us in the top six, with the exception of Celtic, have been assembled with less funds than has been made available to Fenlon, Calderwood etc.People keep saying this but is it really true ? St J for example are said to spend a lot ( relatively ) on first team players and very little on youth players . Top players at ICT or Dundee United may be getting more than our top players ( top not meaning much at any of the clubs ) . Question is not just which managers have been chosen ( I don`t believe all the managers were bad choices as some seem to suggest ) but how much backing they`ve received ( financial , public support , scouting network , ... ) .

Captain Trips
06-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Petrie should have been away years ago and how he survived CC situation is a mystery to me.

monktonharp
06-04-2013, 09:46 PM
if we don't get to the final, he should sack the manager, then resign at the end of the season. if we get to the final, and we don't win it, he should resign at the end of the season.if any/both of those happen, he can always say that he left us in a fairly stable condition,nice ground,nice training facilities etc but his cv will also read.......won not a lot, in comparison to the fans expectations, and regularly brought in backroom stuff not quite up to the job. if we win the cup. legendary status, plaque,stand in his name,figurine at the main office,and even statue at the carpark entrance. up to you mr P.:wink:

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Petrie should have been away years ago and how he survived CC situation is a mystery to me.

Because there is no accountability at the club. Who does Petrie report to? Farmer, god bless him, doesn't really care. Therefore Petrie is working without any pressure or targets in terms of football performance.

jonty
06-04-2013, 09:56 PM
I've never understood why people with no qualifications to manage / coach a football team hire a coach / manager of a football team.

Its from the same school of thought that dictates that:
Fans with no business background know how to run a club
Fans with no football management background know how a team should be setup/picked
Fans with no coaching experience know how training should be done
Fans with no scouting experience know who should be signed up
Fans with no finance or knowledge of club finances know exactly how much we should be spending (and how much other clubs are spending).

Lets face it, not one poster on here knows exactly what goes on at the club. All we have is guess work and speculation.

even when we're told black is black, people will claim its really grey, not quite black, simply because they refuse to believe it.

Anyway, all the bitching and moaning on here isn't going to change the result today (away to the league leaders) or next weeks game (yet to be played, but already a Falkirk win and a horror story of a match).

Andy74
06-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Or criticise those who do?

Forza Fred
06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
It could be argued that this belongs on the current 'should Petrie Step Down" thread but was worried that its point may be lost if posted there.

Mr Petrie is not the most popular person at ER, but are the arrows being lined up and pointed at the wrong target, when it comes to fixing the slide at Easter Road?

RP reports to the owner - Sir Tom, just as most on this list would report to their boss at their place of employment.

As fans, we can moan and groan about what many portray as Rod's lack of ambition etc, but at year end when his annual appraisal is done, if Sir Tom is telling him he has done a wonderful job, steady as she goes for next year etc - is it any wonder that he does not then indulge in a spot of self evaluation?
I mean, really, if our boss tells us we're doing a wonderful job and keep going the way we are going, aren't we likely to keep going down the same comfortable path?

After all, if we are set pretty low targets, we're not going ot have much trouble meeting them.

Sir Tom was positively glowing in his praise of RP at the last AGM.

Ive been around several organisations where people/things get too comfortable', due mainly to a lack of committed leadership over a period of years, and a culture of what I term Ínstitutionalised Mediocrity' sets in and pervades the whole organisation.

Basically an attitude then exists of only doing 'the minimum we need to' and those who originally oppose it end up thinking..'why should I bother, nobody else cares".

I think we are at this point and need urgently to 'reform''

Any change MUST be driven from the top - and this is where STF needs to step up to the plate, as any reform must be driven from the very top.

Sir Tom needs to clearly communicate his vision for Hbernian Football Club and determinedly drive the bus towards that goal.

Its called 'The 'Tome at The Top' but simply, I'd like if Sir Tom publicly acknowledges that current standards are unacceptable, and that EVERYONE at the club is on notice to improve.

His continued silence, deferring mostly to RP - does him no favours, and again allows questions to arise as to his commitment.

You saved us once Sir Tom, time to get your sleeves rolled up again, as I dont think you would want your legacy to be tarnished by being remembered not only as the man who saved Hibs, but also as the man who, having done so, then allowed a culture of institionalised mediocrity to flourish after you had done so.

The 'slide'' in standards has been noticeable to everybody for a while now - to ignore it and not take any corrective action would be I suggest, seen as inappropriate.

Forza Fred
06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
It could be argued that this belongs on the current 'should Petrie Step Down" thread but was worried that its point may be lost if posted there.

Oh well, ended up there anyway it seems!:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 10:14 PM
But Petrie appoints the managers who squander these funds. Therefore he's ultimately responsible.

He didn't appoint Fenlon though, as has been mentioned.

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 10:21 PM
He didn't appoint Fenlon though, as has been mentioned.

As Chairman of the club he is ultimately responsible for something as important as appointing the manager.

If he shirked the responsibility, or delegated it to others who were equally incompetent, he's culpable. That's how business works.

Liberal Hibby
06-04-2013, 10:24 PM
As Chairman of the club he is ultimately responsible for something as important as appointing the manager.

If he shirked the responsibility, or delegated it to others who were equally incompetent, he's culpable. That's how business works.

Is it?

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks. I'll remember that. :cb

So, if he delegates to someone who delegates to someone else who delegates to someone who misses a sitter in a Cup Final, is he culpable?

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Is it?

Yes.

jonty
06-04-2013, 10:28 PM

At the time he was chairman of the board, there is no position as chairman of the club (that I'm aware of). Scott Lindsay(sp?) was CEO at the time and responsible for the recruitment and appointment of the manager.

Liberal Hibby
Yes.

Really?

ThirdManRun
Thanks. I'll remember that. :cb

Nice counter argument.

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Nice counter argument.

Given that I have been advising businesses for 33 years, 25 of them running my own business, I am always keen to hear of alternative views of how businesses are run.

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
At the time he was chairman of the board, there is no position as chairman of the club (that I'm aware of). Scott Lindsay(sp?) was CEO at the time and responsible for the recruitment and appointment of the manager.

Semantics. He was responsible for appointing Scott, and was therefore accountable for his failure. He has overseen multiple manager recruitment whether directly or indirectly.

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Given that I have been advising businesses for 33 years, 25 of them running my own business, I am always keen to hear of alternative views of how businesses are run.

In that case, what would you advise STF? And how would you describe the role of a chairman?

GreenCastle
06-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Or criticise those who do?

But what happens if you have the same qualifications or better qualifications than Fenlon ? Qualifications doesn't mean your good at your job - either does experience (many ex pro's fail in the game in management / coaching).

Ideally you want someone with knowledge / understanding of coaching / football management to be hiring a manager - not someone who can talk a good game or do the best presentation - like Craig Levein getting the Scotland job!

There are also plenty of people who post on here who work in business / management / coaching so to say people's opinions are invalid is ridiculous.

ThirdManRun
Really?

I'm afraid so.

jonty
Semantics. He was responsible for appointing Scott, and was therefore accountable for his failure. He has overseen multiple manager recruitment whether directly or indirectly.

The CEO would be a board appointment, not an individuals decision. You may as well blame STF for appointing RP.

Northernhibee
06-04-2013, 10:41 PM
The more that time goes on the more I believe that there is a deep rooted problem at our club. We've had countless managers, countless players yet nothing works in the end.

We have to accept that there's a real pattern emerging and that perhaps the issues we have aren't down to the manager in charge but from someone above that person. If that's Petrie or not I don't know but we certainly have large issues.

monktonharp
06-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Given that I have been advising businesses for 33 years, 25 of them running my own business, I am always keen to hear of alternative views of how businesses are run.fancy a job at a football club, stable and well run, but underperforming in the main?:cb

H18Y GW
06-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Monty Python sketch in the making right there !!!

Pesky Romans lol

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 10:44 PM
In that case, what would you advise STF? And how would you describe the role of a chairman?

How would I advise STF in what regard?

As far as the role of the chair is concerned, that has to be defined by the Board, with particular regard to their needs, the needs of the company, and those of the shareholders. Some Boards need to be led by the Chair, others see the Chair as only leading meetings, where each individual takes the lead on specific matters.

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 10:45 PM
The CEO would be a board appointment, not an individuals decision. You may as well blame STF for appointing RP.

The Chairman is the most senior appointment on the board, therefore the most responsible for failure or success. Many a Chairman has fallen on his sword due to poor decision making by a CEO.

I do blame STF, not for appointing Petrie, but for sticking with him for so long.

silverhibee
06-04-2013, 10:51 PM

He will blame Hyland and Lindsay for appointing Fenlon.

monktonharp
06-04-2013, 10:51 PM
The more that time goes on the more I believe that there is a deep rooted problem at our club. We've had countless managers, countless players yet nothing works in the end.

. Einstein once said: if you continue to do the same thing over and over expecting a different answer,it's inevitable that you will be disappointed............or words to that effect, said by monktonharp.

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 10:54 PM
How would I advise STF in what regard?

As far as the role of the chair is concerned, that has to be defined by the Board, with particular regard to their needs, the needs of the company, and those of the shareholders. Some Boards need to be led by the Chair, others see the Chair as only leading meetings, where each individual takes the lead on specific matters.

Em... dealing with the chronic underperformance of his business? And how he sees Petrie's role/performance, with reference to your textbook explanation?

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Em... dealing with the chronic underperformance of his business? And how he sees Petrie's role/performance, with reference to your textbook explanation?

Define underperformance :greengrin

One would have to know what STF's own criteria of performance are. Is it about increasing the value of his shareholding, or maintaining the existence of a community amenity, or satisfying the customers, or some other measure?

It will, I am sure, be a combination of some of the above. Without knowing the man, I can't know. However, his own statements at various AGM's suggest that, in his opinion, the company is performing satisfactorily. In particular, he is a defender of RP, hence I can only deduce that, by his criteria, RP is doing a good job.

ThirdManRun
06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Define underperformance :greengrin

One would have to know what STF's own criteria of performance are. Is it about increasing the value of his shareholding, or maintaining the existence of a community amenity, or satisfying the customers, or some other measure?

It will, I am sure, be a combination of some of the above. Without knowing the man, I can't know. However, his own statements at various AGM's suggest that, in his opinion, the company is performing satisfactorily.

That's the crux isn't it. As long as STF is happy, regardless of footballing performance (it seems), Petrie is untouchable. I think that's a dangerous situation to be in.

I wouldn't want STF to go, but wish he would take more of an interest.

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
fancy a job at a football club, stable and well run, but underperforming in the main?:cb

Do the initials F R and O mean anything?

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
06-04-2013, 11:11 PM
That's the crux isn't it. As long as STF is happy, regardless of footballing performance (it seems), Petrie is untouchable. I think that's a dangerous situation to be in.

"more of" is apposite.

He's never been a football man, of course, but perhaps he has been affected by the amount of interest that his counterpart at Tynie took.:greengrin

jonty
06-04-2013, 11:25 PM
The Chairman is the most senior appointment on the board, therefore the most responsible for failure or success. Many a Chairman has fallen on his sword due to poor decision making by a CEO.

I do blame STF, not for appointing Petrie, but for sticking with him for so long.

A bit like appointing a manager, then sticking with him for too long?

Liberal Hibby
06-04-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm afraid so.

You're obviously more knowledgeable about both business and football than I am...

Liberal Hibby
06-04-2013, 11:55 PM

Which is why Fenlon needs at least another year.

Forza Fred
07-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Correctamundo!

Any change of direction needs to be set by STF!

At the end of the day, HE is the one that has the numbers.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2013, 12:12 AM

Mr Petrie is not the most popular person at ER, but are the arrows being lined up and pointed at the wrong target, when it comes to fixing the slide at Easter Road?

RP reports to the owner - Sir Tom, just as most on this list would report to their boss at their place of employment.

As fans, we can moan and groan about what many portray as Rod's lack of ambition etc, but at year end when his annual appraisal is done, if Sir Tom is telling him he has done a wonderful job, steady as she goes for next year etc - is it any wonder that he does not then indulge in a spot of self evaluation?
I mean, really, if our boss tells us we're doing a wonderful job and keep going the way we are going, aren't we likely to keep going down the same comfortable path?

After all, if we are set pretty low targets, we're not going ot have much trouble meeting them.

Ive been around several organisations where people/things get too comfortable', due mainly to a lack of committed leadership over a period of years, and a culture of what I term Ínstitutionalised Mediocrity' sets in and pervades the whole organisation.

Basically an attitude then exists of only doing 'the minimum we need to' and those who originally oppose it end up thinking..'why should I bother, nobody else cares".

Any change MUST be driven from the top - and this is where STF needs to step up to the plate, as any reform must be driven from the very top.

Sir Tom needs to clearly communicate his vision for Hbernian Football Club and determinedly drive the bus towards that goal.

Its called 'The 'Tome at The Top' but simply, I'd like if Sir Tom publicly acknowledges that current standards are unacceptable, and that EVERYONE at the club is on notice to improve.

His continued silence, deferring mostly to RP - does him no favours, and again allows questions to arise as to his commitment.

You saved us once Sir Tom, time to get your sleeves rolled up again, as I dont think you would want your legacy to be tarnished by being remembered not only as the man who saved Hibs, but also as the man who, having done so, then allowed a culture of institionalised mediocrity to flourish after you had done so.

The 'slide'' in standards has been noticeable to everybody for a while now - to ignore it and not take any corrective action would be I suggest, seen as inappropriate.

:top marks

IWasThere2016
07-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Aye - a long long time ago but the owner reckons we need another 99 Rodders :faf: Comedy Genius!

IWasThere2016
07-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Correctamundo!

Any change of direction needs to be set by STF!

At the end of the day, HE is the one that has the numbers.

He is the one who pays for the numbers as Holding Co. will keep having to cover the losses (managed by Rod the untouchable). One can only conclude that STF is content with under-achieving on the park (as that's what we excel at).

BoltonHibee
07-04-2013, 05:56 AM

I can't believe you have written this! :)

Excellent post, excellent points.

Lucius Apuleius
07-04-2013, 06:24 AM
New guy in charge instead of Rod would probably expect remuneration. Money to the board equals less to the manager.

Beefster
07-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Monty Python sketch in the making right there !!!

Pesky Romans lol

And Rodders didn't even give us aqueducts, sanitation or roads.

He will blame Hyland and Lindsay for appointing Fenlon.

To be fair, there's a lot to blame those two for, particularly Lindsay.

Braids Hibby
07-04-2013, 06:44 AM
Can't believe individuals want to empty RP.

Beefster
07-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Can't believe individuals want to empty RP.

Tell us what he's doing right and change some minds then.

Braids Hibby
07-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Tell us what he's doing right and change some minds then.

Financially in a much better position than the rest of the SPL. We are a well run club unlike others.

Beefster
07-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Financially in a much better position than the rest of the SPL. We are a well run club unlike others.

I assume you mean that we have less debt that the rest of the SPL clubs. That's just wrong.

Braids Hibby
07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
I assume you mean that we have less debt that the rest of the SPL clubs. That's just wrong.

No it's fact :)

Forza Fred
07-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I can't believe you have written this! :)

Excellent post, excellent points.

A big boy did it for me Moray:greengrin

See you in early May...coming over with the brother in law...regardless of next week's result. .

Weir7
07-04-2013, 11:52 AM

Not correct. We have lost millions over last 5 years. Only way we make cash is by selling players. There are no more to sell.

Well run club - if paying 3 managers at the same time. Pating endless players off. And the last batch that left last january - they were still getting paid and weren't even with club.

Petrie does not run a tight ship.

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I dont know who had the final say on appointing Fenlon, but whoever it was clearly did not do a great job. If this kind of stuffy backs to wall football is the type of style Fenlon had in Ireland, then he was never the man to manage Hibernian.

Although that could be a load of pish, as Pat had all his teams playing silky attractive stuff and this is a new thing we are seeing at easter road? :confused:

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Not correct. We have lost millions over last 5 years. Only way we make cash is by selling players. There are no more to sell.

Well run club - if paying 3 managers at the same time. Pating endless players off. And the last batch that left last january - they were still getting paid and weren't even with club.

Petrie does not run a tight ship.

We made profits in each of the 6 years ended 2010.

2011 was a loss of £0.9m

2012 was much the same.

Onion
07-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I've called for RP to be relegated to Financial Director (and nothing more) for some time now, however there's no point in flogging that dead horse. The fact that he didn't see his position as untenable after a string of poor appointments and the Calderwood debacle (appointment, re-appointment and finally sacking) is all the proof needed that he'll have to be physically removed by the owner. Unfortunately our club's owner must be about the least interested owner of any football club in Scotland. As long it is not under financial threat and/or shedding £££, he's basically happy to leave RP in complete charge. As far as STF is concerned, RP is the sacred cow at ER so all this talk about RP not being involved in key decisions (and there no bigger decision than choice of Manager) is just rubbish IMV.

Is it any wonder, a general malaise and lack of high performance culture pervades at ER ?

In saying all that, IMHO now's not the time to start calling for change. As an eternal optimist, I still have this dream of Fenlon and Petrie standing outside the West Stand with the Scottish Cup in their hands. We STILL have a genuine and realistic chance of this happening and as long as that's the case, we all need to support the players, club, Manager.

SteveHFC
08-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes :agree:

spike220
08-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Short of putting the ball in the back of net, I am not sure it is that Rod is meant to be doing that he isnt doing already.

Baldy Foghorn
08-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Good post Forza....

As long as STF owns the Club, then RP will be in situ.....

The silence is deafening from STF, and we appear to be a rudderless ship, circling around choppy waters.....