PDA

View Full Version : Dan McMichael Gravestone

GORDONSMITH7
03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Four weeks tomorrow St. Patrick's Branch member Hugh Cockburn will be making his way from his home in Sunderland to London to start an arduous sponsored cycle from Tower Bridge, London to Holyrood Park, Edinburgh (444 miles). The itinerary is as follows .......

Day 1. Friday 3 May, London to Stamford, Lincs = 100 miles

Day 2. Saturday 4 May, Stamford to York = 122 miles

Day 3. Sunday 5 May, York to Morpeth, Northumberland = 113 miles

Day 4. Monday 6 May, Morpeth to Edinburgh = 109 miles

Approaching Holyrood Park, the ride goes via, Portobello Road onto London Road, Meadowbank, then Duke's Walk and finally Queen's Drive. Finishing time is around 3 to 4 pm.

Hugh will be wearing green and white cycling gear.

All monies raised by Hugh is for the Branch's project to obtain a gravestone for Hibernian F.C.'s longest serving and Scottish Cup winning manager Dan McMichael who rests in an unmarked grave behind the goals in the Eastern Cemetery.

If you would like to sponsor Hugh, payment can be made by Paypal, credit/debit card or bank transfer.

All details about payment and Dan can be found here..............

http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/donate/

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
04-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Our Branch was first made aware of this over a year ago when one of our members and well kent Hibby, Bone informed us that some distant relative of Dan's had mentioned this to him. We found this a bit far fetched, however he had done some research and assured us that it was the case. Bone's son Calum died at the age of five of cancer and is buried behind the goals too. Several months ago Bone and myself attended the Eastern Cemetery and after stopping to pay our respects to the wee fella proceeded to another part of the graveyard where Bone pointed out Dan's resting place. We then went to the headquarters up at Piershill Cemetery where old documents were searched for us and the location confirmed.

At a well attended Branch meeting following this it was agreed that this was unacceptable and that we would purchase a suitable memorial to him. We will also have to pay for installation, engraving and a one off payment for unpaid upkeep of his grave for the past 94 years. In an age of revolving door managers, it is wonderful that Dan in his capacity as Manager, Secretary and Treasurer of Hibernian F.C. stayed the course through the highs of winning the Cup and League to struggling to keep Hibs going during the First World War.

It would have been wee Calum's 18th birthday this week and Bone is having a Race Night and auction, of which St. Pat's are one of the sponsors, to raise money for Edinburgh based CCLASP ( (Children with Cancer and Leukaemia, Advice and Support for Parents) at the Hibs Club this Saturday night. Football teams from throughout the UK including several English Premiership clubs have been extraordinarily generous donating from signed items to stadium tours.

BIG G

Weir7
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Our Branch was first made aware of this over a year ago when one of our members and well kent Hibby, Bone informed us that some distant relative of Dan's had mentioned this to him. We found this a bit far fetched, however he had done some research and assured us that it was the case. Bone's son Calum died at the age of five of cancer and is buried behind the goals too. Several months ago Bone and myself attended the Eastern Cemetery and after stopping to pay our respects to the wee fella proceeded to another part of the graveyard where Bone pointed out Dan's resting place. We then went to the headquarters up at Piershill Cemetery where old documents were searched for us and the location confirmed.

At a well attended Branch meeting following this it was agreed that this was unacceptable and that we would purchase a suitable memorial to him. We will also have to pay for installation, engraving and a one off payment for unpaid upkeep of his grave for the past 94 years. In an age of revolving door managers, it is wonderful that Dan in his capacity as Manager, Secretary and Treasurer of Hibernian F.C. stayed the course through the highs of winning the Cup and League to struggling to keep Hibs going during the First World War.

It would have been wee Calum's 18th birthday this week and Bone is having a Race Night and auction, of which St. Pat's are one of the sponsors, to raise money for Edinburgh based CCLASP ( (Children with Cancer and Leukaemia, Advice and Support for Parents) at the Hibs Club this Saturday night. Football teams from throughout the UK including several English Premiership clubs have been extraordinarily generous donating from signed items to stadium tours.

BIG G

Excellent work by all involved.

Are the Hibernian Historical Trust helping with the funding of thr gravestone? They done an excellent job of Canon Hannan's gravestone at the Grange.

GORDONSMITH7
04-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Excellent work by all involved.

Are the Hibernian Historical Trust helping with the funding of thr gravestone? They done an excellent job of Canon Hannan's gravestone at the Grange.

Like the Founding Fathers Plaque which our Branch Patron, Patrick Gordon Stanton, unveiled last week in St. Patrick's Church, all monies for the gravestone, Hibs season tickets for the Cannongate Youth Project, CCLASP, Section43 etc have come from fundraising by members of St. Patrick's Branch of the Hibernian Supporters Association and the pennies and pounds donated by the generosity of individual Hibs Supporters. We have not asked for money from the Supporters Association, other Supporters Branches, the HHT (who did do a brilliant job) or Hibernian FC for that matter.

BIG G

Secretary

Hibernia Na Eir
04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I'll be putting my donation through soon. Fabulous way to remember a famous and probably forgotten son of Hibernian.
St Pats' work has been utterly refreshing and nothing but praise can be given to this branch.
A very dynamic group of Hibs fans giving Hibernian's historical milestones the attention and effort they so richly deserve.

Good luck Hugh!

GORDONSMITH7
05-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I'll be putting my donation through soon. Fabulous way to remember a famous and probably forgotten son of Hibernian.
St Pats' work has been utterly refreshing and nothing but praise can be given to this branch.
A very dynamic group of Hibs fans giving Hibernian's historical milestones the attention and effort they so richly deserve.

Good luck Hugh!

Thanks for the kind words amigo. I guess we must be doing something right. The ethos of St. Patrick's Branch seems to have struck a chord with many and is the fastest growing Branch in the Supporters Association with 90 brand new members joining in the first couple of months of this year alone. That in itself takes nothing whatsoever away from the hard working officials of other Branches or the Trustees/Council members of the Association who in St. Pat's Branch's eyes have done a tremendous job increasing annual profit while at the same time investing many, many thousands of pounds this year alone on Club refurbishment making it the envy of every group of visiting away fans who are welcomed on matchdays.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
05-04-2013, 10:44 AM
A big thanks to Chris K for the £60 donated towards Dan's headstone.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
07-04-2013, 02:24 AM
The St. Pats' Branch have had several excellent contributions from folk on the Bounce and hibs.net. , towards Hugh's mentalist cycle from Tower Bridge to Hollyrood park all of which all will be acknowledged. For those that think it is not worthy of recognizing this Hibernian FC hero in our Branch's opinion unequivocally is...... Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4HGlmtOcg

We have become the fastest growing Branch in the Hibernian Supporters Association with 90 new members in the last 3 months because some Hibernian fans think that our ethos is spot on.

BIG G

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2013, 02:37 AM
The St. Pats' Branch have had several excellent contributions from folk on the Bounce and hibs.net. , towards Hugh's mentalist cycle from Tower Bridge to Hollyrood park all of which all will be acknowledged. For those that think it is not worthy of recognizing this Hibernian FC hero in our Branch's opinion unequivocally is...... Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE4HGlmtOcg

We have become the fastest growing Branch in the Hibernian Supporters Association with 90 new members in the last 3 months because some Hibernian fans think that our ethos is spot on.

BIG G

Hopefully you'll realise this post was a wee bit unnecessary when you wake up in the morning.

GORDONSMITH7
07-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Hopefully you'll realise this post was a wee bit unnecessary when you wake up in the morning.

Spot on mate. £1750 raised for CCLASP (Children with Cancer and Leukaemia, Advice and Support for Parents) last night.Too much bevvy. Oh ma heid!

BIG G

hibee_nation
07-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Liked the video so much so sent you a tenner. Good work St. Pats'. :not worth

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
I just don't think the part of your post from "For those fans..." onwards was necessary. Nobody's going to complain about anything earlier in your post, but, IMHO the part I've mentioned comes across as a bit childish, I never lost any sleep over it though, so, not to worry.

GORDONSMITH7
07-04-2013, 01:53 PM
I just don't think the part of your post from "For those fans..." onwards was necessary. Nobody's going to complain about anything earlier in your post, but, IMHO the part I've mentioned comes across as a bit childish, I never lost any sleep over it though, so, not to worry.

Again you are spot on amigo.

BIG G

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Again you are spot on amigo.

BIG G

We've all been there! :party:

GORDONSMITH7
08-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks to Iain in Dunoon.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
08-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks Alison in Belfast.

Capo de capos.

GORDONSMITH7
08-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks Andrew S in Dalkeith.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
09-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Thanks to R. of Drop Zone Records in Glasgow.

BIG G.

GORDONSMITH7
09-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks Thomas Y in Wallyford.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
11-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks John McG. in Edinburgh

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
16-04-2013, 06:51 PM
A massive thanks you to Hibernian FC for supporting St.Patrick's Branch in this labour of love for a true Hibernian hero as acknowledged on Hibernian FC's website and a thanks also to the Management and Pat Fenlon, the next Irishman to win the Scottish Cup, who are supporting us.

Mon the Cabbage

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130416/sponsor-hughs-cycle-ride_2262950_3139472

BIG G

Branch Secretary

GORDONSMITH7
16-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks to Jo in Bishopbriggs.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
16-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks to Mamie J in the Inch.

BIG G

Pete
17-04-2013, 03:05 AM
Four weeks tomorrow St. Patrick's Branch member Hugh Cockburn will be making his way from his home in Sunderland to London to start an arduous sponsored cycle from Tower Bridge, London to Holyrood Park, Edinburgh (444 miles). The itinerary is as follows .......

Day 1. Friday 3 May, London to Stamford, Lincs = 100 miles

Day 2. Saturday 4 May, Stamford to York = 122 miles

Day 3. Sunday 5 May, York to Morpeth, Northumberland = 113 miles

Day 4. Monday 6 May, Morpeth to Edinburgh = 109 miles

Approaching Holyrood Park, the ride goes via, Portobello Road onto London Road, Meadowbank, then Duke's Walk and finally Queen's Drive. Finishing time is around 3 to 4 pm.

Hugh will be wearing green and white cycling gear.

All monies raised by Hugh is for the Branch's project to obtain a gravestone for Hibernian F.C.'s longest serving and Scottish Cup winning manager Dan McMichael who rests in an unmarked grave behind the goals in the Eastern Cemetery.

If you would like to sponsor Hugh, payment can be made by Paypal, credit/debit card or bank transfer.

All details about payment and Dan can be found here..............

http://www.hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/donate/

BIG G

I don't know if I'm being thick here but when I click on the link to pay, all I get is my paypal login screen. After that there is no option to pay.

Is there an email address you have to put in to enable payment?

Lucius Apuleius
17-04-2013, 04:51 AM
I don't know if I'm being thick here but when I click on the link to pay, all I get is my paypal login screen. After that there is no option to pay.

Me too. However thought it best to say nothing rather than let people know I am thick. :greengrin

Pete
17-04-2013, 05:09 AM
Me too. However thought it best to say nothing rather than let people know I am thick. :greengrin

That's fine, I can be thick for both of us.

Provided you pay for both of us!

:-D

EdinMike
17-04-2013, 05:32 AM

Do you have a Paypal account ? I'm assuming it's all through Paypal donations. I just throw my mollah at them in person :wink:

Lucius Apuleius
17-04-2013, 06:25 AM
That's fine, I can be thick for both of us.

Provided you pay for both of us!

:-D

:greengrin I even went to Page 5 to drag it up to try and pay.

Do you have a Paypal account ? I'm assuming it's all through Paypal donations. I just throw my mollah at them in person :wink:

That is what we are asking Mr Edin. Clicking the link to pay by Paypal opens our Paypal accounts but there is no email that either mr Douglas nor I can see. As previously alluded to it may be quite simply that we are both thick.

GORDONSMITH7
17-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Sorted amigo.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
17-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks to Jamie Millar for donation and technical fix on website.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
18-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks to Mick W in Kidderminster

BIG G

WindyMiller
18-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Worth a donation for the video alone.

:aok:

Quoted the wrong post.
Oh Well.

:blushie:

GORDONSMITH7
18-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Thank you Mark J fae Porty.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
18-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks to Gordon T in Bonnybridge, Kenny H in Hamilton and Bruce S in Edinburgh.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
19-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks to Conor C, Barbara Mcf and Brian Mg all fae Edinburgh.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
19-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks to Steven D in Bonnyrigg and R Jones in Durham.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
20-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks to Stuart H fae Gilly.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
21-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks to Scotty in Cardiff and Kenneth S in Penicuik.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
21-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks to Michael C in Edinburgh and Janice M fae Fife (Dunfermline)

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
21-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks Paddy B in Glasgow. Long time no see Patrick. How is everyone amigo?

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
22-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks to Darren N in Dullatur, North Lanarkshire.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
22-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks to James D in Diss, Norfolk.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
23-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Thanks to S.Dutton in North Shields and Daz in Hutchy/Warrington.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
23-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks to Mikey R in Prospect Bank.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
23-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks Craig J fae Crieff.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
23-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Donation from afar. Big thanks Brian C in Qatar.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
24-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks to Bill H in the Honest Toun.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
24-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks Colin L in Dundee.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
25-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks to Michael McN somewhere between Dungannon and Edinburgh and Mchael G in Shetland (top Guizer Jarl!!)

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
26-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks to Dave in Craigentinny and Kevin E in Wexford for fabulous Hibernian FC memorabilia which will find good homes whilst raising dough for this project.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
27-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks to Neil P in Downpatrick, N.I.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
28-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks to Sean H, from Rockingham, Western Australia

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
29-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks to Mikey F in EH6.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
29-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks to Jack G in Glasgow.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
30-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks to Ronald McC fae the Honest Toun.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
01-05-2013, 12:28 AM
A very special thank you to Pam (McMichael) G in Brora, Highland

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
01-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks to Mikey D in Edinburgh.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
02-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks to Colin J A fae Rosewell and Brian T in the Honest Toun.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
02-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks to Steven C in Edinburgh.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
03-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Day 1. Friday 3 May: London to Stamford, Lincs = 100 miles

Hugh phoned to say that he completed the first part of his journey at about 4 this afternoon. Pretty knackered by the sound of it to be honest . Relaxing in a hostelry, on the orange and water, with one of the Lincolnshire St. Patrick's Branch Massive Kevin Bold and friends.
It gave Hugh a bit of a boost to hear that two of Dan McMichael's great granddaughters have contacted the Branch and have sponsored him.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks to Brian H from Oxted, Surrey.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks to Kathleen McMichael in Edinburgh.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
04-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Day 1. Friday 3 May: London to Stamford, Lincs = 100 mile

Hugh phoned to say that he completed the first part of his journey at about 4 this afternoon. Pretty knackered by the sound of it to be honest . Relaxing in a hostelry, on the orange and water, with one of the Lincolnshire St. Patrick's Branch Massive Kevin Bold and friends.
It gave Hugh a bit of a boost to hear that two of Dan McMichael's great granddaughters have contacted the Branch and have sponsored him.

Day 2. Saturday 4 May: Stamford to York = 122 miles

Well that is Hugh at the half way mark. ' Bits of me are sore that I didnae ken existed.' as he put it to me tonight. Although 22 miles more today than yesterday I think the extra miles seemed like hundreds. All the charity cyclists are keen amateurs. Compare that with the whippet like group of serious lads and lasses who left London this morning and arrived in York not much later than Hugh's group and who are leaving early doors tomorrow and arriving in Edinburgh the same day!!
Hugh will arrive at Easter Road around 5.00 on Monday night. Several Branch members will be there to greet him. If you wish to do so and want an accurate arrival time, give me a bell Monday afternoon on 07885896172

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
04-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks to Terry R and Robbie W both fae Edinburgh.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
05-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks to Lee R in Sighthill and also the Turnhouse Golf Club - Wednesday domino boys!

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
06-05-2013, 03:41 AM

Well that is Hugh at the half way mark. ' Bits of me are sore that I didnae ken existed.' as he put it to me tonight. Although 22 miles more today than yesterday I think the extra miles seemed like hundreds. All the charity cyclists are keen amateurs. Compare that with the whippet like group of serious lads and lasses who left London this morning and arrived in York not much later than Hugh's group and who are leaving early doors tomorrow and arriving in Edinburgh the same day!!
Hugh will arrive at Easter Road around 5.00 on Monday night. Several Branch members will be there to greet him. If you wish to do so and want an accurate arrival time, give me a bell Monday afternoon on 0788589617

Day 3. Sunday 5 May: York to Morpeth, Northumberland = 113 miles

Spoke to Hugh and his Mrs who joined him at Morpeth too give encouragement. Totally sunburned back of his napper . Mrs C said that he was shivering like a jelly a la sunburn. Not good. Cannae wait to see and congratulate this Hibs Hero at Easter Road about 5 on Monday. Kick on Shug mate.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
06-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks to Moyra S in Edinburgh, Brian R in Livingston and Lorraine T from Deeping St James.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
06-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Hugh will arrive at Easter Road around 5.00 on Monday night. Several Branch members will be there to greet him. If you wish to do so and want an accurate arrival time, give me a bell Monday afternoon on 0788589617

Day 3. Sunday 5 May: York to Morpeth, Northumberland = 113 miles

Spoke to Hugh and his Mrs who joined him at Morpeth too give encouragement. Totally sunburned back of his napper . Mrs C said that he was shivering like a jelly a la sunburn. Not good. Cannae wait to see and congratulate this Hibs Hero at Easter Road about 5 on Monday. Kick on Shug mate.

Day 4. Monday 6 May: Morpeth to Edinburgh = 109 miles

Well done Hugh! He arrived at the stadium at the back of 6 to a warm reception from Branch members, Andrew Sleight Media Manager at Hibernian FC, Pat Fenlon who kindly gave his time on his day off and folk from the media. Hugh was clearly moved by the reception for him. Photos were then taken inside the Holy Ground which will appear on the St. Patrick's Branch website shortly. Most of us then headed to the Hibs Club where refreshments were quaffed whilst listening to Hugh's recollections of the past four days epic journey. A massive thank you goes out to all the Hibs fans and others whose generously sponsored Hugh to the tune of over £1,000 to help towards a suitable memorial to the great Dan McMichael who rests a short distance from journey's end .

Thank you.

BIG G

PS Just seen great photos sent to me from James McGachie. Thanks Jamesie

GORDONSMITH7
06-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks to Russell W in Bonnyrigg, James McG in EH7 and David M in Granton.

BIG G

3pm
07-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Outstanding effort from Hugh.

GORDONSMITH7
07-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Outstanding effort from Hugh.

Spot on R. You have witnessed me puffing and panting carrying the St. Pat's flag in the backpack climbing the South face of the Eiger (well East face of the Terracing). Truly amazing as Pat Fenlon said...................

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20130507/hugh-completes-cycle-ride_2262950_3170186

BIG G

Bostonhibby
07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Yep ,incredible effort, was knackered just watching him - well done Hugh - ensures his entry into the Hall of Fame as far as I am concerned.

GORDONSMITH7
07-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks to Noel J (Dan's great grandson) from Dereham, Norfolk, Robert M from Norwich, Norfolk and top Belter Brian M.

BIG G

EdinMike
07-05-2013, 06:13 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197684_383033251810642_1826338608_n.jpg

Some great photo's on Facebook, good going Hugh !

GORDONSMITH7
08-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks to Kenny F in Glasgow and Kevin McMichael in Margate.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
08-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks to Tommy D in Jamaica Plain. Boston, USA.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
09-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks to Raymond R in Sunny Leith.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
10-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks to Davy N in Telford (the EH4 one).

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
10-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks to Michael A in Stockeree, EH4.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks to Brian W fae the Murrays. You get around!:greengrin

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
11-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks to P F C fae Oxgangs.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
12-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks to Bobby S in Bonnyrigg.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
13-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks to Willie Morley in Dalgety Bay. Apologies to Bobby S who in fact resides in Nitten.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
13-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks to Michael C from Glasgow.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
14-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Well, what can I say more than to thank the inspirational Section 43 and those on the hibs.net who through donating to Section 43's efforts for the Cup Final display made this generous donation possible, ensuring a fitting memorial to arguably Hibernian F.C.'s greatest ever Manager. Believe me all of you will be welcomed by St.Patrick's Branch of the Hibernian Supporters Association, along with all the other donators and Hibs fans in general, to attend the unveiling at Dan's final resting place in the Eastern Cemetery.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
15-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks to Willie B in Newhaven.

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
20-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks to Gary C in Porty and Ian A in the Pans.

BIG G

By TOM ENGLISH
Published on 19/05/2013 00:00

Pat Fenlon knows what it will mean if he replicates fellow Irishman Dan McMichael’s 1902 Cup victory

IT IS said that Dan McMichael prepared his boys for the 1902 Scottish Cup final, not by bringing them to see Buffalo Bill’s stage show in Leith, but by sending them on long walks to Portobello, feeding them thick-cut sandwiches and cocoa and getting them to play dominoes in the evenings before the denouement with Celtic and the kind of glory that none of them could ever know would last so long. “Sandwiches and cocoa,” smiles Pat Fenlon. “We could probably do that right enough. I don’t know if I could get the likes of [Leigh] Griffiths to play dominoes, mind you.”

McMichael was a tall, serious-looking Irishman with a bushy moustache, the last Hibs boss to win the Scottish Cup. For many years he was the lifeblood of the club: the manager, the treasurer, the bottle-washer-in-chief. He lived and died on Easter Road, a victim of the Spanish flu epidemic. He took Hibs to Falkirk one Saturday afternoon in 1919 and was dead five days later. To illustrate their sadness at the loss of their greatest servant, Hibs sent a wreath – with a broken harp.

Sitting in a room overlooking Easter Road, Fenlon has the Irish part covered, he’s OK for the serious-looking side of things, he says he could always grow something on his face for the Cup final, “but I’m ****** for height”. He’s pointing over yonder, to where the cemetery is, to where McMichael lays in an unmarked – but not for long – grave. “Boys from the St Patrick’s branch of the supporters’ club have been doing great work, you know. One lad cycled from London to here to raise funds for a gravestone for McMichael. I met him when he arrived back. That’s something else, isn’t it? You know what, we might not have won loads of things at Hibs but this club has a serious history.” And to emphasise it, he says it again. “A serious history.”

On the wall of his office he has a letter from a man in County Wexford telling of an ancestor who was big at Hibs. These are the things that he knows now that he didn’t know then, and by “then” he means in the build-up to last season’s Cup final against Hearts. “I probably didn’t realise what the Scottish Cup meant to people in relation to the history of the club,” he says. “I wasn’t a Hibs fan as a boy but the longer you’re here the more engrossed you get and the more people you meet. When I came in first I don’t think I fully made the connection of what winning the Cup would mean to this place. I see it now, though. Jaysus, I see it.”

We’re in the room that Fenlon retreated to after Hampden last May, just the two of us and there’s probably more noise here now on this Thursday afternoon than there was then, when the place was packed and the air was funereal. He calls it the worst day in his football life, a horrible experience, a numb feeling taking hold of him and not letting go for quite some time. “To not perform and just lie down…”

Things have changed. Oh sure, there’s been far too many losses and draws for his liking this season, but there’s been improvement. “We’re miles ahead of where we were 12 months ago, character-wise. The dressing room was awful when I got here. Bad pros, bad attitudes, poor, really poor. The ones we brought in are good fellas. They get on with their work. They’re not looking for excuses. The victory over Hearts last week gives us a lot of encouragement because over the last three or four years we just rolled over in games against them. There was a lot made about Hearts this season introducing young players and all that, but we had a younger squad last weekend than they did. We’ve got some fantastic young players here.”

Fenlon’s story began in Finglas on Dublin’s northside. He grew up a Celtic fan which was a bit of a rarity in 1970s Ireland. Every one of his mates was a Liverpool supporter and so when he was old enough to travel to Glasgow he had to find a new gang. There was no handy route from Dublin in those days. No boat to be had and no money for a flight. It was up on the bus to Larne and across to Stranraer, rendezvous at 4am and home again straight after. “We were like zombies coming back.

“I never followed an English team as a kid. Even though everybody here thinks everybody in Ireland is a Celtic fan, in fact there weren’t many people at home that had Celtic as their main team in those days. It was Liverpool. All the lads I grew up with were Liverpool fans. I had no interest in that.”

He has embraced Scotland, but misses Ireland. Misses the family anyway. Misses the people. Doesn’t miss the politicians or those who have brought the country to it knees. He’s talking now about the government and the scandals of the Celtic Tiger years. “The biggest problem was the neglect to places like Finglas where I grew up. Totally neglected. The wealth in those years never circulated to everybody, it was kept to a certain percentage of the country and we’re paying for that now. The ordinary working-class people in areas like mine are really, really struggling. I grew up in Finglas South which was a fantastic place to live but over the last ten years has had a horrible amount of everything and has sort of lost its community feeling.

“There’s no infrastructure there for kids and this is repeated all over the country. Nobody thought that by building houses they needed to build something for all these kids to do because if they don’t they’ll go and do something they’re not supposed to do. I love Ireland, love the people, love going back, it will never be anything different to me. We’ve got problems, though, and the people have taken a lot of flak. In any other country in Europe there’d be mayhem. We took it on the chin but you can only take so much. Maybe we let them [the government, the banks, the builders] away with too much.”

He can do nothing about his homeland’s financial woes but then again he has enough on his plate dealing with his lot at Easter Road. All the hard work of winning things as manager of Shelbourne and Bohemians and Derry has paid off, he says, by getting the job at Hibs. This is what he wanted. A bigger testing ground. Well, he’s got it and he’s brought to them a second Scottish Cup final and the key man who took him there – and who kept Hibs afloat in the SPL – was one he may lose in the summer, the irreplaceable Griffiths

“You know the story. I’d love to keep him, but you’re caught. On one hand, I want him to stay but on the other hand I’d like to see him play at a higher level because he can if he puts his mind to it. He’s maturing as a player and as a person. People think he’s this and he’s that but Leigh doesn’t cause me any problems. He wants to train and wants to play, it’s when he leaves the training ground… If I could keep him there for eight hours a day I’d keep him, but that’s a bit unlikely. It’s when he leaves. There’s no malice in Leigh. At times there’s a bit of stupidity, but no malice.

“One of the reasons he’s done well here is because everyone wants him and loves him. That’s massive. He enjoys coming here and he knows the fans adore him, knows that people in the club want to look after him and help him and I think that’s what he needs, he needs an arm around him. He’s got a few kicks up the arse as well, which he also needs, but mostly he needs a bit of lovin’. There’s no manager at Wolves yet, so we’ll see what happens. I’ve got two thoughts in my head about him: he’s got all the ability to go back down to England and be a big success but, equally, he might need another year to develop as a person as well as a footballer.”

Griffiths gives Hibs a puncher’s chance against Celtic. He scored the winner against them in the SPL this season, after all. “All I want them to do is to embrace this final because we didn’t do it 12 months ago. We rolled over. I want them to enjoy it. I want them to play. Celtic are going for a double and they’ll be up for it, but if we relish the occasion then I think we’ll be OK. That’s all you can ask for,” says Fenlon.

Soon there will be a gravestone in the cemetery across the way. Dan McMichael, the last Hibs manager to win the Scottish Cup – or the last but one?

“Maybe we’ll give the dominoes a try after all.”

GORDONSMITH7
22-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks to John A and Michael H both fae Edinburgh.

BIG G

jodjam
26-05-2013, 11:02 AM
My mate runs undertaker businesses in town. Lets celebrate tonight and I will pm his details tomorrow as he's keen to help in any way he can