PDA

View Full Version : One thing that really impresses me about Fenlon

California-Hibs
03-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Is that he isn't stubborn and prideful like previous managers when it comes to realising that his own signings haven't worked out. It just got me thinking after reading the Doyle to Chesterfield thread, that we have a number of players that Pat himself signed but because they haven't performed after being given the chance, they've been frozen out and will be moving on.

Previous managers have not done this like Fenlon has, they've shown more pride in that they don't want to look silly and admitting they've made a signing that isn't the best., and continued to persist and persist with them in the hope that they'll improve.

It looks like Doyle, Kuqi and Kujabi will all be off at the end of the season. Coupled with Pat moving on Galbraith and I'm sure others to follow, it truly does show that Pat is eagerly trying to move us in the right direction. Yes it could be said that he might not have the best eye for a player, but he still has delivered us a few good ones in the likes of Cairney, Clancy, Thomson etc.

I think we're going to see alot of players off our wage bill come the end of the season, and this coupled with a Cup final (hopefully) will give us some cash to play with in the summer for new players.

That's my two cents anyways...

:agree:

wheniwas5
03-04-2013, 06:40 PM
don't think you can count Thompson in the sense he knocked on our door and is playing for nothing.

hibsbollah
03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
I think Fenlon has an good eye for a player :dunno: certainly with the £restrictions hes been working under hes brought in better than his predecessors. The problem is he now needs a new type of player; the creative midfielder. Bring in a Zemmama who isnt injury prone and he'll get a 9/10 for his dealings instead of 7/10.

lumbo_hfc
03-04-2013, 06:54 PM
I think we're going to see alot of players off our wage bill come the end of the season, and this coupled with a Cup final (hopefully) will give us some cash to play with in the summer for new players.

Where have i seen that before? Oh yeah it was about this time last season (not saying it was you personally by the way :wink:)

Not a bad point though, Doyle, Kuqi, Kujabi away, hopefully Deegan next!!

TheFamous1875
03-04-2013, 08:10 PM
The problem is he now needs a new type of player; the creative midfielder. Bring in a Zemmama who isnt injury prone and he'll get a 9/10 for his dealings instead of 7/10.

There's an argument that we already have him in Paul Cairney, but he is yet to be utilised in the middle of the park. He's deffo not a winger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1875STEVE
03-04-2013, 08:24 PM
There's 12, iirc, players that could be leaving in the summer, so it does PF plenty to work with.

Loans ending:

Done
Griffiths
Claros
McGivern

Players out of contract:

Wotherspoon
Deegan
Doyle
Murdoch
Thomson
Kuqi
Kujabi
Scott

Out of that lot, if we could keep Griffiths, McGivern & Thomson, then bring in others id be delighted.

Id keep Claros but he's way out of our price range.

rcarter1
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Agree that Fenlon is showing no favouritism, and just needs a couple good signings (and hopefully Griffiths to stay) in the right areas to make a difference. Liam Craig is a start, and we could be looking at a tidy wee team next season.:pfgwa

After Celtic and the cup apart, hope to see some more youngsters with game time.

BEEJ
03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
There's 12, iirc, players that could be leaving in the summer, so it does PF plenty to work with.

Loans ending:

Done
Griffiths
Claros
McGivern

Players out of contract:

Wotherspoon
Deegan
Doyle
Murdoch
Thomson
Kuqi
Kujabi
Scott

Out of that lot, if we could keep Griffiths, McGivern & Thomson, then bring in others id be delighted.

Maybury's contract also runs out in the close season. As does Calum Antell's (though it's likely that either he or Murdoch would get a new contract for season 2013/14.)

MrSmith
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Eye for a player??

BEN WILLIAMS! At last we have a goalie!!

SMAXXA
03-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Is that he isn't stubborn and prideful like previous managers when it comes to realising that his own signings haven't worked out. It just got me thinking after reading the Doyle to Chesterfield thread, that we have a number of players that Pat himself signed but because they haven't performed after being given the chance, they've been frozen out and will be moving on.

Previous managers have not done this like Fenlon has, they've shown more pride in that they don't want to look silly and admitting they've made a signing that isn't the best., and continued to persist and persist with them in the hope that they'll improve.

It looks like Doyle, Kuqi and Kujabi will all be off at the end of the season. Coupled with Pat moving on Galbraith and I'm sure others to follow, it truly does show that Pat is eagerly trying to move us in the right direction. Yes it could be said that he might not have the best eye for a player, but he still has delivered us a few good ones in the likes of Cairney, Clancy, Thomson etc.

Couldn't it be argued he is stubborn the way he has dealt with kujabi? Hasn't really had a chance to redeem himself? Similar with Scott that he couldn't deal with him as a person?

lord bunberry
03-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Couldn't it be argued he is stubborn the way he has dealt with kujabi? Hasn't really had a chance to redeem himself? Similar with Scott that he couldn't deal with him as a person?

Good judgment in both cases imo

sahib
03-04-2013, 10:25 PM
When you are operating on a small budget you are almost bound to make a number of weaker signings. Many were probably not his first choice. If he can't spot a lack of talent before he signs them, then being able to clear them out quickly is at least something in his favour.

SMAXXA
03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Good judgment in both cases imo

Don't imagine too many would disagree

hibee19
03-04-2013, 11:21 PM
When you are operating on a small budget you are almost bound to make a number of weaker signings. Many were probably not his first choice. If he can't spot a lack of talent before he signs them, then being able to clear them out quickly is at least something in his favour.

Kujabi, Kuqi, Doyle, Done, Deegan, Doherty, O'Donovan, Maybury. For me that's too many weak signings in three Windows and the jury is still out on a couple of others.

Leishy1995
04-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Kujabi, Kuqi, Doyle, Done, Deegan, Doherty, O'Donovan, Maybury. For me that's too many weak signings in three Windows and the jury is still out on a couple of others.

Wouldn't class Maybury and Doyle as bad signings considering Maybury had one mistake vs Hearts and has since been booed despite rarely song anything wrong and Doyle having 8 goals this season.

I wouldn't say Doherty was bad either, but as a person he was ****.

Without Deegan we wouldn't be in a cup semi final.

Kuqi kujabi done and o'donavon were poor but I bet none were the first choice.

3pm
04-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I think Fenlon has an good eye for a player :dunno: certainly with the £restrictions hes been working under hes brought in better than his predecessors. The problem is he now needs a new type of player; the creative midfielder. Bring in a Zemmama who isnt injury prone and he'll get a 9/10 for his dealings instead of 7/10.

I personally don't think it's just about creativity. We don't have any real strength or pace either.

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I agree, harsh to say any of Doyle, Deegan, maybury or doherty have been bad signings. They have all done a job for us and are/ will be moved on as hopefully a gradual improvement of squad!!

NorthNorfolkHFC
04-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Loans ending:

Done
Griffiths
Claros
McGivern

Players out of contract:

Wotherspoon
Deegan
Doyle
Murdoch
Thomson
Kuqi
Kujabi
Scott

Spot on.

Stevie Reid
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I have seen enough to give me hope that he can improve us further next season and have us in the top 5 and pushing for 2nd.

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
I have seen enough to give me hope that he can improve us further next season and have us in the top 5 and pushing for 2nd.

Seeing as I can't even imagine who will be in our starting eleven next season, I think that's a pretty bold prediction.

Stevie Reid
04-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Seeing as I can't even imagine who will be in our starting eleven next season, I think that's a pretty bold prediction.

Saying that he has given me hope of something isn't a prediction.

Baldy Foghorn
04-04-2013, 10:28 AM

Pa Kujabi was naive in the Final, PF gave him another chance in Cup Tie versus QOTS......Kujabi was woeful and was substituted at half-time, that was obviously enough for PF, and think he has made the correct decision IMO

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Saying that he has given me hope of something isn't a prediction.

You know what I meant!

Vault Boy
04-04-2013, 11:03 AM
There's a lot I like about Fenlon as a manager, and his selection policy is one of them. When Taiwo came in for Deegan and did well, Deegan didn't get a game for quite a while. There doesn't seem to be any favoritism and he tends to play the players who have played well beforehand, or played in a winning team. Another positive change from some previous managers, who seemed to play the same players over again whether it was working or not.

Stevie Reid
04-04-2013, 11:05 AM
You know what I meant!

I was being a wee facetious, certainly :greengrin

But it is hope and not a prediction. Many supporters expected us to do what I hope will happen next season in this one, which I think was unreasonable (though not impossible) given the state we were in last summer - however, given that we have a more solid base this year and have better resources than most other SPL clubs (possibly a large number of STs again if we play Celtic in the SC Final), and my belief that Pat has a good eye for a player, I am hopeful that we can improve significantly again next year.

Next season our first eleven will have Williams, Clancy, Hanlon, McPake, Robertson and Craig in it, which is a pretty solid spine - I would also expect Harris to be in there, and we will have Taiwo, Cairney, Stevenson in the squad. There is still a huge job to be done but that was always going to be the case and all of our issues couldn't possibly be resolved in this short a time scale, and I believe that we have much more to build on than we did last summer.

Last year we only staved off relegation in our 37th game - this year we look like we will miss out on a top 6 place in the last game before the split. Although the last few months have been disappointing in the league (and we've gone backwards from a few months ago in the SPL), we have made progress, though that progress has been a lot more modest than I thought/hoped it would be when we were flying high towards the end of last year.

I think the board are determined to give Fenlon a good amount of time to build us up again, though many things will have to improve significantly (appealing football on a much more regular basis being hugely important) if the fans are to go along with that. I have hope and I have faith - only time will tell if they will be rewarded. I hesitated before renewing on the initial PP deadline day last season - I didn't wait about this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing Hibs next season.

SMAXXA
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Pa Kujabi was naive in the Final, PF gave him another chance in Cup Tie versus QOTS......Kujabi was woeful and was substituted at half-time, that was obviously enough for PF, and think he has made the correct decision IMO

Yeah I agree. Do have some sympathy for him (not sure why) but after the final and playing him against QOS when we gave the likes of Kuqi, Stevens, Booth etc a run out didn't do him much favours. Wonder if he was given a chance in the first team with a strong side around him he would be better? Not a clue and to be fair don't imagine I will ever find out.Not going to lose sleep over it to be fair :agree:

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I like Pat and he's used his old links over the water to our advantage.

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2013, 06:05 PM
I was being a wee facetious, certainly :greengrin

But it is hope and not a prediction. Many supporters expected us to do what I hope will happen next season in this one, which I think was unreasonable (though not impossible) given the state we were in last summer - however, given that we have a more solid base this year and have better resources than most other SPL clubs (possibly a large number of STs again if we play Celtic in the SC Final), and my belief that Pat has a good eye for a player, I am hopeful that we can improve significantly again next year.

Next season our first eleven will have Williams, Clancy, Hanlon, McPake, Robertson and Craig in it, which is a pretty solid spine - I would also expect Harris to be in there, and we will have Taiwo, Cairney, Stevenson in the squad. There is still a huge job to be done but that was always going to be the case and all of our issues couldn't possibly be resolved in this short a time scale, and I believe that we have much more to build on than we did last summer.

Last year we only staved off relegation in our 37th game - this year we look like we will miss out on a top 6 place in the last game before the split. Although the last few months have been disappointing in the league (and we've gone backwards from a few months ago in the SPL), we have made progress, though that progress has been a lot more modest than I thought/hoped it would be when we were flying high towards the end of last year.

I think the board are determined to give Fenlon a good amount of time to build us up again, though many things will have to improve significantly (appealing football on a much more regular basis being hugely important) if the fans are to go along with that. I have hope and I have faith - only time will tell if they will be rewarded. I hesitated before renewing on the initial PP deadline day last season - I didn't wait about this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing Hibs next season.

Aye alright then :thumbsup:

Aldo
04-04-2013, 06:36 PM

Maybury has been a good signing IMHO as has Doyle.

After a good start Deegan has fallen away but did score a screamer ( winner) against Aberdeen.

California-Hibs
04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Eye for a player??

BEN WILLIAMS! At last we have a goalie!!

Can't believe I left him from the list. FANTASTIC signing from Pat!! :agree:

IWasThere2016
04-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Can't believe I left him from the list.

LTYF :agree:

:wink:

Stevie Reid
05-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Aye alright then :thumbsup:

:aok:

Captain Trips
05-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Are you not worried that one thing that impresses you strongly enough to start a thread about the man to take us forward is admitting he has made some bad signings? Should we not be 2 or 3 things that impress me about Pat by this time are his tactics and results or his style of play? No some are impressed he realises Kujabi isnt that good.

If a manager signs 10 players I do not expect all 10 to work I would think 7 from 10 is a fair marker or 6 at a push, PF hasnt done that well for me.

I am impressed by him as a person and his passion and unfortunatly thats about it.

jacomo
05-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Wouldn't class Maybury and Doyle as bad signings considering Maybury had one mistake vs Hearts and has since been booed despite rarely song anything wrong and Doyle having 8 goals this season.

I wouldn't say Doherty was bad either, but as a person he was ****.

Without Deegan we wouldn't be in a cup semi final.

Kuqi kujabi done and o'donavon were poor but I bet none were the first choice.

Deegan was doing fine until he had his jaw bust.

hibee19
05-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Are you not worried that one thing that impresses you strongly enough to start a thread about the man to take us forward is admitting he has made some bad signings? Should we not be 2 or 3 things that impress me about Pat by this time are his tactics and results or his style of play? No some are impressed he realises Kujabi isnt that good.

If a manager signs 10 players I do not expect all 10 to work I would think 7 from 10 is a fair marker or 6 at a push, PF hasnt done that well for me.

I am impressed by him as a person and his passion and unfortunatly thats about it.

Also, he doesn't realize Doyle isn't good enough, Doyle rejected a new deal. Absolutely unbelievable. If he is the standard we are we'll never get any better under Fenlon.