PDA

View Full Version : Bye Doyle! - off to Chesterfield..

3pm
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22013849

Mikey
03-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Cheers for your efforts Eoin.

Hopefully you'll still get our support for the rest of the season!

Andy74
03-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I like Doyle but a decent sign that we are looking at better. The wages for him and Kuqi combined could be put towards someone decent.

Stevie Reid
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Didn't kick on as I'd expected but played a big part in our early season success - I'm glad we signed him and he leaves with my best wishes.

Pat obviously believes we can do better and than can only be a good thing.

Mikey
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I like Doyle but a decent sign that we are looking at better. The wages for him and Kuqi combined could be put towards someone decent.

:agree: He was part of the recovery process.

hibee_girl
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Quite disappointed he's leaving and wish him him well when he goes.

cabbageandribs1875
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
best of luck to the laddie, hope he enjoyed his stint at ER :agree:

LioNeilMessi
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
A shame as he showed some flashes of real quality; however he was never consistently good in the SPL.

SteveHFC
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
We need at least 3 strikers in the summer

Taylor?
Daly?
Trakys?

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2013, 12:27 PM

I wish I had a penny for the amount of times I have thought that, only to be disappointed.

GreenCastle
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Not gutted he is going but would have kept him as a squad player.

I give him credit for putting a shift in every time he was involved - he was raw when he came and did improve and scored some good goals and important goals. But recently has been in and out the team and as a result form has suffered.

I think we can get better and a more prolific striker.

I would imagine Hibs weren't going to offer a new deal or the Chesterfield deal was too good to turn down so that's why he left.

Decent guy and wish him all the best :agree:

hibs4thecup1988
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I liked Eoin,

His goal at Pittordrie will remain one of my favourite goals seen "live". The goal against United at Easter Road too, in the right place right time.

Need 3 strikers at least next season then, but seeing as Pat "knows" Eoin I am hopeful we will get a big name now.

MrRobot
03-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Wish him all the best.

Golden Bear
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
All the best for the future Eoin.

Being a striker with Hibs right now is the hardest job in football.

Craig_in_Prague
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
All the best Eoin.

Green Fish
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
He tried hard, good luck to him, didnt quite hit the mark. Onwards and upwards. Hopefully Deegan will follow.

Bostonhibby
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22013849

All the best to him, part of the journey but this is a step down rather than up in my view. Might get a few quid.

Spike Mandela
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Every Hibs player crosses the white line to try his best for Hibs and Eoin was no different. At the start of the season he was looking to form a decent understanding with Griffiths but Fenlon has preferred recently to play Griffiths up front on his own.

I have a feeling views would be kinder to Eoin as he leaves if he had stuck away a few of his glorious chances that he never took especially the one on one at Tynecastle but there is a player in there and I hope he realises his potential at Chesterfield.

Good Luck...........Next!

matty_f
03-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Good luck to him. I thought he was a good player for us, and his departure opens up an opportunity for someone new.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maglsc4hrS1r58pv2.gif

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Good to see Pat realised what I said from day one Eoin Doyle was simply not good enough to play at SPL level. Thanks for your efforts and good luck playing at a lower level Eoin.

MB62
03-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Good Luck to the lad.
Never quite looked a natural goalscorer, which was what we needed him to be, and was the reason Griffiths was forced to play on his own for most of the season. Would have like to see him get a wee run wide out on the right but not disappointed that it's time for him to move on.

Stringer
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Good to see Pat realised what I said from day one Eoin Doyle was simply not good enough to play at SPL level. Thanks for your efforts and good luck playing at a lower level Eoin.

We would struggle in league 2 mate! I think even an spl 11 would be relegated from the championship

Squealing pig
03-04-2013, 01:36 PM
All the best son

SteveHFC
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maglsc4hrS1r58pv2.gif

:faf:

Ringothedog
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
We would struggle in league 2 mate! I think even an spl 11 would be relegated from the championship
And you base that on ? :confused:

Dashing Bob S
03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Thought he was very decent with the promise of more to come. If we get somebody better, all to the good. But my confidence Hibs improving incrementally has been shattered over the last three or years, and I'm resigned to a useless donkey on an inflated salary replacing him.

PeeJay
03-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Think Doyle has potential, but no-one at ER seems able to nurture it/unleash it - as has been the case in so many other instances. The fact we - as a club - are unable to develop the potential we have at the club is a sign to me that we need better staff off the pitch as well as on it ...

Big Sexy Dave
03-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Minus Celtic players?

Bostonhibby
03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Thought he was very decent with the promise of more to come. If we get somebody better, all to the good. But my confidence Hibs improving incrementally has been shattered over the last three or years, and I'm resigned to a useless donkey on an inflated salary replacing him.

Is this your way of saying Kuqi has been acclimatising and is now ready to be unleashed on the unwary? To be honest I haven't even checked to see if he is still with us.

Cabbage East
03-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Absolute drivel :faf:

Doyle, as much as was a trier, wasn't good enough. But good luck to the boy.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Interesting opinion, have you watched many games in league 2 to form this opinion or is it just speculative?

rainman
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Makes me feel upbeat that Fenlon agrees we can do better.

Golden Bear
03-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Has he signed a pre-contract agreement or is he off with immediate effect?

Given our lack of striker options it seems strange if Fenlon has allowed him to be released immediately.

:confused:

Beefster
03-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm obviously in the minority but I didn't rate him. Lots of effort but not much else. I think League 2 will suit him better and I'm sure he'll be a success down there.

HibbyAndy
03-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Good luck Eoin

Stevie Reid
03-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Has he signed a pre-contract agreement or is he off with immediate effect?

Giving our lack of striker options it seems strange if Fenlon has allowed him to be released immediately.

:confused:

I don't think it could be with immediate effect anyway, but I took it to be a pre-contract.

I think it's for the best that it's come out - I thought Doyle did ok on Saturday, but there were signs of him becoming a bit of a target for some supporters; hopefully now when he plays, those who were threatening to get on his back will leave off and take solace from the fact that he won't be here next season. One thing you will always get with Doyle is effort, hopefully that will see him through the rest of the season.

Will keep an eye on him down South - I thought/hoped he had more to offer, but I'm excited to see who will come in as a replacement.

Sean1875
03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Probably about the right level for him and imagine he'll do well with Chesterfield, wish him luck and hopefully he'll leave with fond memories of the famous green and white :agree:

Keith_M
03-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Surely this is a step up for him? I'm not sure he's good enough for a higher level than Hibs.

Sean1875
03-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Hopefully we'll see Handling and maybe even Caldwell feature more regularly for the rest of the season now :agree:

Stringer
03-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Interesting opinion, have you watched many games in league 2 to form this opinion or is it just speculative?

I do watch some lower league games. Bradford's success in the Capital One Cup shows that it isn't a diddy league.

Not slagging the SPL but some people on here genuinely think we could compete in the championship. I don't even think Celtic would come that close to the top of the league.

I was at the ICT game. M'boro let Kevin T go, he looked a world beater compared to the likes of Deegan.

Stevie Reid
03-04-2013, 03:37 PM
I do watch some lower league games. Bradford's success in the Capital One Cup shows that it isn't a diddy league.

Not slagging the SPL but some people on here genuinely think we could compete in the championship. I don't even think Celtic would come that close to the top of the league.

I was at the ICT game. M'boro let Kevin T go, he looked a world beater compared to the likes of Deegan.

If Doyle is being let go I cannot see any way that Deegan will be retained. He has been disappointing.

Winston Ingram
03-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Big loss. Gutted about this

TomoHFC
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Good luck to the lad

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Good luck Doyler!

Malthibby
03-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Aawrabest, always put in a shift, even when it was clearly no wworking.
GG

ancient hibee
03-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Doyle will get a barrowload down there.He takes up excellent positions in the box but because Griffiths seldom passes to him he tends to snatch at the odd chance he gets.He showed against Motherwell that he can put the ball away and he can also set up chances like the sitter he gave Griffiths on Saturday.Considering the different positions he's played he's been ok.

Geo_1875
03-04-2013, 04:08 PM
And hopefully whoever is signed to replace him will be allowed to play with Leigh instead of for him.

H1B33 1875
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
This sounds familiar, a striker that dosnt quite make it leaves Hibs and goes down south. Every Saturday I tune into Soccer Saturday and see ex Hibees scoring all over the place! Donaldson, Sodje, Dobbie to name a few, wonder if Doyle will be added to this list!

col02
03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Quite like Doyle as a player for Hibs to be honest and think he will be a miss next season. That said an opportunity for the likes of Handling and/or Caldwell. Best of luck to Doyle as he always gives his all!

LeighLoyal
03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Deek in! :thumbsup:

killie-hibby
03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Think Doyle has potential, but no-one at ER seems able to nurture it/unleash it - as has been the case in so many other instances. The fact we - as a club - are unable to develop the potential we have at the club is a sign to me that we need better staff off the pitch as well as on it ...

:agree: Dug out activity during matches seems to indicate our goalkeeper coach does the assistant managers job.

Geo_1875
03-04-2013, 05:00 PM
And hopefully whoever is signed to replace him will be allowed to play with Leigh instead of for him.

PISTOL1875
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Script is now written for him to say goodbye by scoring the winner in the cup final. :aok::aok::aok::aok::aok::aok:

SteveHFC
03-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Deek in! :thumbsup:

I agree :thumbsup:

Up The Bracket
03-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Don't be silly!

Roy O'Donovan, Matt Doherty, Tom Soares, Junior Agogo, Matt Thornhill, Akpo Sodje and Sean O'Hanlon were all signed from League 1/Championship teams and were completely ***** in the SPL.

The SPL is on par with low championship/high league 1. With Celtic being the exception at low EPL level.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Good luck to the guy.

Gave his all but we should be looking for better.

Stringer
03-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Don't be silly!

Roy O'Donovan, Matt Doherty, Tom Soares, Junior Agogo, Matt Thornhill, Akpo Sodje and Sean O'Hanlon were all signed from League 1/Championship teams and were completely ***** in the SPL.

The SPL is on par with low championship/high league 1. With Celtic being the exception at low EPL level.

Behave! The best fixture in the SPL right now is technically the derby. Never seen a worst football game! Celtic would really struggle in the prem.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
:faf:

I've learned from the master Steve ;)

BoltonHibee
03-04-2013, 06:59 PM
***** signing, ***** player, good riddance

Dashing Bob S
03-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Is this your way of saying Kuqi has been acclimatising and is now ready to be unleashed on the unwary? To be honest I haven't even checked to see if he is still with us.

Meant Doyle - didn't think Kuqi was still with us.

Broken Gnome
03-04-2013, 07:09 PM
A guy from the League of Ireland, who was dirt cheap, won Hibs points and cup ties and scored a decent few goals, was probably proven not quite good enough and will play elsewhere.

And some are giving him pelters.

BoltonHibee
03-04-2013, 07:11 PM
A guy from the League of Ireland, who was dirt cheap, won Hibs points and cup ties and scored a decent few goals, was probably proven not quite good enough and will play elsewhere.

And some are giving him pelters.

Yip, and the clown that signed him

Eyrie
03-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Always worked hard for us and had the occasional good moment so I wish him well. I'm looking forward to seeing who we replace him with for next season.

Bostonhibby
03-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Meant Doyle - didn't think Kuqi was still with us.

Sorry Bob, my cack handed attempt at saying Doyle was just there until the BIG man got match fit - I'd have kept Doyle for a bit.........

mentalhibee
03-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Good luck Doyler, hope he can help Hibs win the cup and leave a hero!

andy1875
03-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Have to admit to being a tad surprised that Doyle is leaving. A hard working player who has more than chipped in with a few goals this season and last. Clearly suffering from a lack of confidence at the moment, Saturday was clear evidence of this.

His performance against Celtic in the 1-0 game at Xmas was a typical Doyle performance for me. Hard working and very much a team player.

Hope Paddy has better up his sleeve for next season but wish Eoin the best of luck.

NorthNorfolkHFC
03-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Simply, Doyle always gave his best in games.

He badly lacked pace off the mark which probably looked like he wasn't trying. His lack of that explosive burst of pace probably affected his ability to get height in any aerial battle.

He did have a good football brain though and knew what was going on.

Capt Mainwaring
03-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Overall a good signing for us.

He's not gone yet and contributions from him will still be required until the end of the season, so lets lay off the abuse and support him whenever he's in a Hibs Jersey.

AlbertK86
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Good luck Doyler

Did a reasonable job but system we play didn't help him

Lets hope ther is a quality replacement lined up like Daly of Higdon

jane_says
03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Think he's found his level tbh, he was honking on Saturday and I think lacks composure. However always gave his all for the team and was one of the few that seemed genuinely gutted after the cup final, so he leaves with my regards

Good luck Eoin

weecounty hibby
03-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Good luck to him. Always thought he could have been a decent player, and knowing our luck, probably still will. Would have scored more for us if LG had passed a bit more often!

Jonnyboy
03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Nice to see the vast majority acknowledging that Eoin gave of his best and wishing him luck. Shame a few didn't have the good grace to join in those views.

Good luck Eoin and thanks for all your efforts in the Hibees colours

J-C
03-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Always a trier just didn't have that wee bit of class needed, good luck to the lad.

LeighLoyal
03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Always a trier just didn't have that wee bit of class needed, good luck to the lad.

Never good enough but might score a few in lge two.

jeffers
03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know if we had offered him a new deal or were going to ? The assumption is that he wasn't in Paddy's plans for next season and if so I wonder who else has been told they won't be getting offered a new deal.

R'Albin
03-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I always got the impression that he'd be a good player at a lower level as he's a really intelligent player; doesn't have the pace or strength for the SPL sadly.

Seems like a really nice guy, and I hope he's a success at Chesterfield :agree:

3pm
03-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Nice to see the vast majority acknowledging that Eoin gave of his best and wishing him luck. Shame a few didn't have the good grace to join in those views.

Good luck Eoin and thanks for all your efforts in the Hibees colours

:aok:

I couldnae criticise the guy after his cup final efforts when his mates round him had given up. People also suggesting he never quite kicked on which is a fair point....although the majority now concede there is a lack of creativity in our midfield which must have hampered his progress.

I'd have kept him but hey hey ho.

Wotherspiniesta
03-04-2013, 09:27 PM

***** post.

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM

If only more folk would talk up our game ...... Until an SPL 11 enters league 2 I will continue to believe that this is utter drivel.

Anyway .... Cheers Eoin ... Like a lot of folk I thought the signs were good in the beginning, but never quite reached the level I thought was possible from an honest player.

Good luck.

sahib
03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Good luck Eoin.
I have seen plenty strikers, worse than him, in green and white. He looked a whole hearted player and generally likeable player.

Sir David Gray
03-04-2013, 10:25 PM
He's by no means the worst player I've ever seen at Easter Road.

He had some good moments for us and he looked like a very clever player during his first few months with us. Sadly, just like the majority of the squad, he seemed to go downhill quite rapidly in recent times and he hasn't really shown much in the past few months.

Wish him all the best at Chesterfield, if the story is correct.

hibee19
03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Not good enough, glad hes going but let's wait and see who replaces him.

Not Doyles fault, he tried but simply doesn't have the talent.

sadtom
04-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Good luck Eoin.
Would like to have seen if there was improvement in the next 12 months.

Decent pace and movement. Good attitude. Looks like he wants to learn and improve. Not as bad a finisher as some are making out but certainly not prolific. Would be much better suited to playing in a pair around an unselfish target man...Daly?
He could sink like a stone but i hope he becomes a success.

As for the debate about how Hibs would fare in English fitba?
For any meanigful comparison to be made you would have to take into account that we would have a comparable budget, higher profile, a more lucrative sponsorship, entertaining league set up seeing an end to the current familiarity, affording a higher standard of player, better team to watch, attracting a sharp increase in support, complemented by larger away crowds.
While we already have the infrastructure in place, we also have the appeal of living of a world known, attractive, cosmopolitan city.

Considering all this, clubs like Hibs, sheep, even a properly ran hertz would be just like 30 - 40 teams down south.
In our darkest days we'd be league 1 mid table obscurity (Coventry), in our pomp we'd be the surprise mid table EPL side (Swansea), and for most of the time, every Wigan, Barnsley and Hull City inbetween
This is exactly how it would be.:agree:

500miles
04-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Unless it means we get to keep Griffiths,then this is a total nightmare of a move for us. 8 goals this season is not to be sniffed at, especially in a season which he hasn't always been a starting players, and not always up front either.

Of course, some folk's gracelessness on this thread may be part of the reason. Doyle's family were less than impressed with the treatment he recieved from his own support when they came to see him play, perhaps he thinks he can get as much money, a guaranteed start without the hassle. In which case, he'd probably be a fool not to go.

Beefster
04-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Unless it means we get to keep Griffiths,then this is a total nightmare of a move for us. 8 goals this season is not to be sniffed at, especially in a season which he hasn't always been a starting players, and not always up front either.

Of course, some folk's gracelessness on this thread may be part of the reason. Doyle's family were less than impressed with the treatment he recieved from his own support when they came to see him play, perhaps he thinks he can get as much money, a guaranteed start without the hassle. In which case, he'd probably be a fool not to go.

It doesn't matter what happens at Hibs, someone always tries to blame the support.

I think it's far more likely that he wasn't offered a new contract and wasn't going to be offered a new contract.

500miles
04-04-2013, 06:30 AM
It doesn't matter what happens at Hibs, someone always tries to blame the support.

I think it's far more likely that he wasn't offered a new contract and wasn't going to be offered a new contract.

So your star striker, with 20 plus goals is pretty sure to leave, and your second striker, with Doyles very respectable strikerate, is just allowed to go without a contract offer? He's hardly going to be on megabucks. A player who was getting back into the team again, and who you signed?

I think youre kidding yourself on.

Beefster
04-04-2013, 06:31 AM
So your star striker, with 20 plus goals is pretty sure to leave, and your second striker, with Doyles very respectable strikerate, is just allowed to go without a contract offer? He's hardly going to be on megabucks. A player who was getting back into the team again, and who you signed?

So he was offered a contract?

BoltonHibee
04-04-2013, 06:42 AM

He simply wasn't good enough, if Hibs offered him a contract we really are in a poor state.

I don't think for one minute we did, as surely even Fenlon realised what a pigs ear of a signing Doyle was.

Cabbage East
04-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Behave! The best fixture in the SPL right now is technically the derby. Never seen a worst football game! Celtic would really struggle in the prem.

You are talking nonsense.

NOLA
04-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Have a word with yourself.

500miles
04-04-2013, 08:48 AM
He simply wasn't good enough, if Hibs offered him a contract we really are in a poor state.

I don't think for one minute we did, as surely even Fenlon realised what a pigs ear of a signing Doyle was.

12 goals in 52 appearances STV said. For a guy who has came off the bench in about half those appearances, its a respectable strike rate. Especially when you consider the likes of Ojamma have played a similar supporting role and not scored half the goals Doyle has.

I have no idea how Doyle has so many detractors, and Cairney has so many admirers when they have had similar seasons, and Doyle has more goals.

Andy74
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Yes but we are coming up for the summer and we will have some targets in mind, maybe already done some deals.

Even if we haven't, if you've seen enough to suggest that he wasn't quite up to the job you thought he would do then it's right to cut the losses when it comes to contract renewal time instad of repeating the mistake just because you then have to find another player.

He also signed Kuqi and Kujabi and I'd wager none of them will be getting another contract. Makes no real odds if Doyle is closer to playing in the team, if we need better then the summer is the chance to do it.

Leithenhibby
04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
I liked him and had high hopes. Not to be though, always thought his first touch was good but the rest has been covered so many times.

Good luck Mr .......... :wink:

500miles
04-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes but we are coming up for the summer and we will have some targets in mind, maybe already done some deals.

Even if we haven't, if you've seen enough to suggest that he wasn't quite up to the job you thought he would do then it's right to cut the losses when it comes to contract renewal time instad of repeating the mistake just because you then have to find another player.

He also signed Kuqi and Kujabi and I'd wager none of them will be getting another contract. Makes no real odds if Doyle is closer to playing in the team, if we need better then the summer is the chance to do it.

Unless Pat has 3 quality forwards up his sleeve, then it makes a world of difference.

calumhibee1
04-04-2013, 10:30 AM

An SPL 11 would walk the championship. Even an SPL 11 minus Celtic players would be mid table down there.

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2013, 10:37 AM
An SPL 11 would walk the championship. Even an SPL 11 minus Celtic players would be mid table down there.

:faf: No chance whatsoever.

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
:hahaha:An SPL 11 would walk the championship. Even an SPL 11 minus Celtic players would be mid table down there.

JimBHibees
04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Liked Eoin thought he started the season well and was brilliant in the home win v United. Think he struggles with his back to goal especially when the ball is in the air so not sure if a move to League 2 will help however hope he does well as seems an honest hard working sort of guy.

Andy74
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Unless Pat has 3 quality forwards up his sleeve, then it makes a world of difference.

We don't have 3 quality forwards now so if he does then all the better.

I don't really get why you are so upset about losing a player in the summer where we have ample opportunity to replace him.

Winston Ingram
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Get a grip.I'm assuming by that comment that you don't get to many games?

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Sad to see Eoin go

Vault Boy
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
All the best to Eoin, an intelligent footballer and seemingly a nice guy, he'll do alright for himself I'm sure. The large majority have been respectful on here, but a couple of people need to have a look at themselves, Eoin has not been too bad at all.

500miles
04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
We don't have 3 quality forwards now so if he does then all the better.

I don't really get why you are so upset about losing a player in the summer where we have ample opportunity to replace him.

I'm not actually that upset about losing Doyle. I think he showed up until half way through the season, he is a talented guy, who works hard, and will get goals at this level. His scoring rate for this season is about a goal every 220 minutes, or two and a half games. It seems a bit of a waste to develop him for a year, and when he gets another pre season to kick on that bit further, we let him go. In a team that is set up to feed Leigh Griffiths, his 8 goal return is decent, and the attacks on his abilities for a player are unwarrented and, frankly, preposterous.

If Pat thinks "Right, I've got Liam Craig coming in, Harris on the wing, Caldwell and Handling (A similar player to Doyle from what I've seen) will get more game time next season", then I can start to see why Doyle might not get a contract. If he's got someone like, for example Lyle Taylor, coming in, then we've still got options. I'd still like another striker to be there, particularly Griffiths, but Leigh will only sign a contract if he's determined to play for Hibs.

Doyle isn't irreplaceable. However, it's a hole in a squad which, already, looks to have McGivern, Claros Griffths and Wotherspoon to replace. First team regulars. I reckon one, two or maybe all of them may want to continue at a club, after a season which has seen them all improve, but who knows what other offers will be on the table? It's not like Kuqi and Pa, who - good trainers and very willing, I'm sure - haven't contributed anything on the pitch, Doyle's goals, assists and self-less work ethic will need replaced.

Speedway
04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Doyle was offered a contract by Hibs over a month ago and told us where to shove it, poloitely loike.

Aldo
04-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Doyle was offered a contract by Hibs over a month ago and told us where to shove it, poloitely loike.

His decision for me did a good enough job. Wonder who nutsy has in mind to replace him

1two
04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/425/8617366/fenlon-departing-doyle-has-part-to-play?

DH1875
04-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Is Doyle not only on something like £500 per week? He's off because he's doubling his wages at least, NOT because we don't want him.

And an SPL 11 would be a top championship side :agree:.

Up The Bracket
04-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Chelsea and Man City never got through their Champions League group, Celtic did, they'd be at a similar level to Norwich/West Brom.

essexhibee
04-04-2013, 10:35 PM
The whole premiership argument is a silly one IMO. End of the day Celtic or Hibs etc would have premiership sponsorship money. A club like Celtic with that sort of money, and one of the biggest fan bases in the UK (if not the biggest) would easily survive in the Prem. IMO you can't say that Celtic couldn't survive the EPL because they would be getting much more money than in the SPL. They are a much bigger club than the likes of Stoke, Wigan etc..

California-Hibs
04-04-2013, 10:47 PM
:faf: No chance whatsoever.

Disagree. I think an SPL 11 would do very well indeed in the championship and wouldn't be far off winning that league for sure. There's alot of very decent players in the SPL, especially this season!

stewpot
05-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Disagree. I think an SPL 11 would do very well indeed in the championship and wouldn't be far off winning that league for sure. There's alot of very decent players in the SPL, especially this season!

no danger would any team apart from Celtic be in the top half of the championship

California-Hibs
05-04-2013, 03:59 AM
no danger would any team apart from Celtic be in the top half of the championship

Re-read what we're saying. Not talking about a specific SPL team, we're talking about picking 11 players from current SPL teams and that would then form a team that would be very capable of winning the Championship.

Barman Stanton
05-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Never understand why people who state Scottish teams would struggle in England never take into account the money situation. Before there was the huge gap in revenue Hibs could buy players from the top flight in England. Keith Houchen right after he scored in the FA Cup final for example.

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Re-read what we're saying. Not talking about a specific SPL team, we're talking about picking 11 players from current SPL teams and that would then form a team that would be very capable of winning the Championship.

The Celtic team thats performing right now would be up there challenging for the championship. I'm not convinced they would win it, remember they play 44 games and they have struggled this season against much weaker opposition.

There's not a hope in hell a mixture of players from the rest would win the championship, there's hardly many players who are championship level, and certainly not championship winning level imo.

3pm
05-04-2013, 08:24 AM
I dinnae even know who is decent in the SPL anymore.

JimBHibees
05-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Has John Daly's future been decided?

Baker9
05-04-2013, 09:24 AM

Here's a challenge - name that Championship winning SPL select. I can't.

Andy74
05-04-2013, 09:29 AM

I don't think so. I'd prefer Higdon though, who is out of contract as well is he not? You'd think we should be in a position to beat any offer from Motherwell, though as usual it would depend if English teams were interested.

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Here's a challenge - name that Championship winning SPL select. I can't.

I couldn't even name an SPL winning side taking Celtic out.

Treadstone
05-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I have no idea how Doyle has so many detractors, and Cairney has so many admirers when they have had similar seasons, and Doyle has more goals.

With that statement everyone else rests their case.

ronaldo7
05-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I couldn't even name an SPL winning side taking Celtic out.

Griffiths would be in it:aok:

jdships
05-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Is Doyle not only on something like £500 per week? He's off because he's doubling his wages at least, NOT because we don't want him.

And an SPL 11 would be a top championship side :agree:.

You been speaking to Sandaza ?
Lad was surely earning more than that !!

Some of the 19/21 's are on better than £ 500 a week

Heedersnvolleys
05-04-2013, 10:01 AM

Defo on more than I see them pass to go to training some mornings and that would just cover Doyles car he drives. I presume he is paying for it:wink:

jdships
05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Defo on more than I see them pass to go to training some mornings and that would just cover Doyles car he drives. I presume he is paying for it:wink:

Not sure how it is with the present squad but a year or two back sponsors provided five cars for the ' stars' of the team
Would agree that ED's car would be his own !

Baker9
05-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Much as I love him, he's a championship reject is he not?

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2013, 10:25 AM

He's pish, just about makes the Hibs first 11 each week. :wink:

ronaldo7
05-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Rejected by whom?

Some Manager who's got the bullet:aok:

The Sea-gull
05-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't really think there are many SPL players who could cut it in the Championship theses days. Had a quick look at the SPL squads online and this would be about it. PS - this is based on those who could do it now, not those who have done it in the past (e.g. Gavin Raes etc) or young players who can do it in the future. I have not included Celtic as most of their squad probably could play there.

Aberdeen - Nial McGinn, maybe Considine
Dundee - Naebody
Dundee Utd - Johnny Russell, Gary Mackay-Steven, maybe Jon Daly
Hearts - maybe Zaliukas and Webster (lower level Championship though) Stevenson (given he was there recently though could say he flopped)
Hibs - Williams, Griffiths, Thomson, maybe McGivern, maybe Claros, maybe McPake and Hanlon (see Zaliukas and Webster)
ICT - maybe McKay, maybe Shinnie plus a couple of other "maybes"
Killie - Nobody really, maybe Dayton
Motherwell - Randolf, Law, Humphrey, Higdon, Higginbottom, McFadden, maybe Hately
Ross Co - Vigurs maybe
St Johnstone - Davidson
St Mirren - maybe McGowan and McLean

Only my opinion, I may have missed a few and done a few a dis-service but that's about 27 players from about 250 - about 10% of our league - and even then there is question marks over a few of them. You could maybe get a decent starting line up out of those players and a squad which could compete but a Championship winning team - not in my opinion.

GK - Williams/Randolf

RB - Hately
CB - Two from Zaliukas/Webster/Considine/McPake/Hanlon (none of them install me with confidence when faced with Championship strikers but can't think of any others)
LB - McGivern

Midfield - McFadden, Davidson, Thomson, McKay-Stevens (this is assuming McFadden and Thomson return to fitness. McGinn and Shinnie as back up)

Up Front - Russell/Griffiths/McKay with Higdon or Daly (they love a big man up top in the Championship though think they may get "found out" down there)

scoopyboy
05-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Would you not have to have featured in the championship to be a reject in it?

Not Proven surely.

Speedway
05-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Think he's off to Newco.

The Sea-gull
05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Think he's off to Newco.

Will be interesting to see which players they get now that they are a big second division team.

Won't be surprised if Jon Daly, Nicky Law, Chris Humphrey, Kevin Thomson, Kris Boyd and pretty much any other SPL player who is linked with them goes there for the £.

Would be nice to see a player turn them down on the grounds that they think they are too good to be playing SFL2 football and that it would be better for their career to go to England or stay in the SPL.

Players also have to remember that in order to go to Newco, because of the transfer embargo, they will need to sit out the first month of the season and miss out on a month's wages. Though I'm sure Newco will find ways of getting round the months wages part. Set up an EBT perhaps?

.Sean.
05-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Some of the 19/21 's are on better than £ 500 a weekA Hibs Under 19 is on nowhere near that figure..

BEEJ
05-04-2013, 11:49 AM

If Doyle is only on £500 per week, then it's because we recruited him from the LoI where players' salaries, and therefore their salary expectations, will be much more 'reasonable'. I'm sure the new contract we offered would have been at a higher weekly wage. :greengrin

Bringing in players like that, who can fulfil a role in the first team at limited cost, is all part of the Manager's task of assembling a squad within the annual player budget he is given. It might even enable the Manager to spend a bit more on other players that he's competing for on the market. :wink:

So in terms of 'value for money', perhaps Doyler has been a bit better for the club than some believe.

And for those reasons, I expect we could see one or two more signings from the LoI in the close season.

Skanko79
05-04-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't really think there are many SPL players who could cut it in the Championship theses days. Had a quick look at the SPL squads online and this would be about it. PS - this is based on those who could do it now, not those who have done it in the past (e.g. Gavin Raes etc) or young players who can do it in the future. I have not included Celtic as most of their squad probably could play there.

Dundee - Naebody
Hearts - maybe Zaliukas and Webster (lower level Championship though) Stevenson (given he was there recently though could say he flopped)
Hibs - Williams, Griffiths, Thomson, maybe McGivern, maybe Claros, maybe McPake and Hanlon (see Zaliukas and Webster)
Motherwell - Randolf, Law, Humphrey, Higdon, Higginbottom, McFadden, maybe Hately
Ross Co - Vigurs maybe
St Johnstone - Davidson

Only my opinion, I may have missed a few and done a few a dis-service but that's about 27 players from about 250 - about 10% of our league - and even then there is question marks over a few of them. You could maybe get a decent starting line up out of those players and a squad which could compete but a Championship winning team - not in my opinion.

GK - Williams/Randolf

RB - Hately
CB - Two from Zaliukas/Webster/Considine/McPake/Hanlon (none of them install me with confidence when faced with Championship strikers but can't think of any others)
LB - McGivern

Midfield - McFadden, Davidson, Thomson, McKay-Stevens (this is assuming McFadden and Thomson return to fitness. McGinn and Shinnie as back up)

Up Front - Russell/Griffiths/McKay with Higdon or Daly (they love a big man up top in the Championship though think they may get "found out" down there)

Paul Hanlon would get ripped a new @rsehole in the championship by the likes of chris eagles, zavon hines, thomas ince and vicente. and thats only if he played left back.

Skanko79
05-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Think he's off to Newco.

If correct the first ever irish catholic to sign for rangers i think.

Baker9
05-04-2013, 01:21 PM
He's pish, just about makes the Hibs first 11 each week. :wink:

Just about is the Hibs first 11. Love him to bits but his championship team doesn't seem to want him back in a hurry, after having had a good look at him.

tamig
05-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Paul Hanlon would get ripped a new @rsehole in the championship by the likes of chris eagles, zavon hines, thomas ince and vicente. and thats only if he played left back.

Aye, but he's not a left back.

tamig
05-04-2013, 01:58 PM

Dundee - Naebody
Ross Co - Vigurs maybe
St Johnstone - Davidson

GK - Williams/Randolf

RB - Hately
LB - McGivern

No disrespect, but I think that bit's a bit of an understatement.

paul_hfc3
05-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Top guy, hope hes a success down there.

Skanko79
05-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Aye, but he's not a left back.

sometimes he is.

ok then, the likes of charlie austin, simon cox, wilfred zaha etc etc

he struggles at the best of times up here against the likes of stephen thompson. it doesnt bear thinking about really.

JimBHibees
05-04-2013, 02:35 PM
sometimes he is.

he struggles at the best of times up here against the likes of stephen thompson. it doesnt bear thinking about really.

Is that the same Stephen Thompson that more than regularly held his own for years in the Championship.

killie-hibby
05-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Doyle rejected the new contract offered by Hibs. I havent a clue what Hibs or chesterfield offered him, but I think he is making the right decision to go to a league where you dont feel suffocated by playing other teams three,four or even five times in one season.

The Sea-gull
05-04-2013, 03:26 PM
No disrespect, but I think that bit's a bit of an understatement.

No offence taken but I genuinely can't think of that many non-Celtic SPL players who could go to the Championship and make an impact right now.

scoopyboy
05-04-2013, 03:44 PM
sometimes he is.

Can't think of him struggling against him this season having beaten them 2-1, 2-1 and 1-0.

You sure its not just a case of you don't like him?

Stringer
05-04-2013, 04:04 PM
My spl 11 with sellick

Forster

Hately Zal (boo hiss) Ambrose Mulgrew

Wanyama Shinne

Goncalves Russell Griffiths (capt)

Hooper

GlenrothesHibee
05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
How would Chesterfield fare in the SPL? Reckon they would be below Dundee tbh

silverhibee
05-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Not sure how it is with the present squad but a year or two back sponsors provided five cars for the ' stars' of the team
Would agree that ED's car would be his own !

3 figure sum but more at the top end i have heard, he will also get his appearance and bonus money. :aok:

DH1875
05-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Dundee - Naebody
Ross Co - Vigurs maybe
St Johnstone - Davidson

GK - Williams/Randolf

RB - Hately
LB - McGivern

Throw in the Celtic squad and you'd easily have a team who would challenge for the championship.
Put Hibs in the Championship/EPL and give them £40 million a season playing in a full stadium every week and I'm sure we'd more than match the likes of Wigan.

Doyle is defo on about £500 basic, per week. Any of you who think our under 19's are on that are crazy.

Skanko79
05-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Can't think of him struggling against him this season having beaten them 2-1, 2-1 and 1-0.

You sure its not just a case of you don't like him?

aye, that as well. i think he's murder to be honest. doesnt know his @rse from his elbow unless mcpake is telling him what to do.

Skanko79
05-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Is that the same Stephen Thompson that more than regularly held his own for years in the Championship.

13 goals in 3 years at burnely and 16 in 2 for cardiff is hardly setting the heather alight is it.

California-Hibs
05-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Without Celtic players, this team IMO would be more than capable of holding their own in the Championship...

Williams (hibs)

Renynolds (Aberdeen) Zaliukas (Hearts) Gunning (Dundee United) McGivern (Hibs)

McFadden (Motherwell) Thompson (Hibs) Law (Motherwell) Mckay-Steven (Dundee United)

Griffiths (Hibs) McGinn (Aberdeen)

This is a team that is still leaving out alot of talent in the likes of -

Humphrey (Motherwell)
Claros (Hibs)
Higdon (Motherwell)
Mckay (Inverness)
Goncalves (St Mirren)
Webster (Hearts)
Holt (Hearts)

The SPL DOES have alot of talented players in it, especially for the budget that teams operate with. People are like kid's though blinded by the big stars of the English Premier League that they feel the need to belittle the SPL at every opportunity because they make silly comparisons with a league that has alot more money in it!

JimBHibees
05-04-2013, 06:13 PM
13 goals in 3 years at burnely and 16 in 2 for cardiff is hardly setting the heather alight is it.

He was a regular starter in that league for decent teams.

Skanko79
05-04-2013, 06:31 PM
He was a regular starter in that league for decent teams.

Not really mate, he was at cardiff who werent as good as they are now and he struggled. he then spent about a year and a half on the transfer list after falling of a banana boat if i remember correctly.

he was DECENT at burnley i'll give you that.

JohnStephens91
05-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Without Celtic players, this team IMO would be more than capable of holding their own in the Championship...

Williams (hibs)

McFadden (Motherwell) Thompson (Hibs) Law (Motherwell) Mckay-Steven (Dundee United)

Humphrey (Motherwell)
Claros (Hibs)
Higdon (Motherwell)
Mckay (Inverness)
Goncalves (St Mirren)
Webster (Hearts)
Holt (Hearts)

The SPL DOES have alot of talented players in it, especially for the budget that teams operate with. People are like kid's though blinded by the big stars of the English Premier League that they feel the need to belittle the SPL at every opportunity because they make silly comparisons with a league that has alot more money in it!

Good team, I'd swap McGinn with Higdon though and Holt with McGowan at St Mirren. There is also Johnny Russell, Evangelos Ikonomou, Rowan Vine, Ross Draper, Johnny Hayes, Cammy Bell, Cilian Sheridan, James Dayton, Paul Heffernan, Murray Davidson, Nicky Riley, Michael Gardyne, Sean Dillon, (dare I say it) John Rankin, Tom Hateley, Kallum Higginbotham and many more that are all very good players and capable of performing in the Championship.

Treadstone
05-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Not really mate, he was at cardiff who werent as good as they are now and he struggled. he then spent about a year and a half on the transfer list after falling of a banana boat if i remember correctly.

Have you read the Wiki page its brilliant. A couple of examples :

Thompson was on holiday in the US when he fell off a banana boat, being towed behind another boat, which caused him to sustain a groin injury that required surgery.

In February 2013, after being named in the new years honours list as Sir Thommo of Hawk, he agreed a new one year contract with St. Mirren. He went on to score the second goal in a 3-2 victory against the Edinburgh team Heart of Midlothian which led to the Paisley Team winning the League Cup Final, cementing his place as a god amongst men.

Up The Bracket
05-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Williams (hibs)

Humphrey (Motherwell)
Claros (Hibs)
Higdon (Motherwell)
Mckay (Inverness)
Goncalves (St Mirren)
Webster (Hearts)
Holt (Hearts)

Holt is nothing special, if you were at the U20 game on Monday, you'd know that, Danny Handling and Brad McKay looked like the pick up the bunch to me as far as making it in their respective teams goes.

BoltonHibee
06-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Get a grip.I'm assuming by that comment that you don't get to many games?

I get to watch enough Hibs games, to know I am happy that he is leaving. You are better not assuming anything.

California-Hibs
06-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Good team, I'd swap McGinn with Higdon though and Holt with McGowan at St Mirren. There is also Johnny Russell, Evangelos Ikonomou, Rowan Vine, Ross Draper, Johnny Hayes, Cammy Bell, Cilian Sheridan, James Dayton, Paul Heffernan, Murray Davidson, Nicky Riley, Michael Gardyne, Sean Dillon, (dare I say it) John Rankin, Tom Hateley, Kallum Higginbotham and many more that are all very good players and capable of performing in the Championship.

Yep!

killie-hibby
06-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Does anyone remember if Ricardo Vaz Te got a six page thread.