PDA

View Full Version : One Man Teams?

rcarter1
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
One-man teams - a good thing or bad? :dunno:

Hibs and Aberdeen lead the way, but relatively successful teams like ICT and Motherwell are not too far behind.

Team..........Player........% Goals......TOP2 %
Hibs...............L. Griffiths.....50%...... 70% (w E Doyle)
Aberdeen........N. McGinn......47%...... 60.5%
Motherwell......M.Higdon........39%.......57.5%
ICT................B. McKay.......34.5%.....53.5%
St.Mirren........S.Thompson....32.5%.....43.2%
Dundee Utd.....J.Russell..........28%......47%

All other teams top scorers have less than 25% of their teams total (and between 33-40% goals scored by their top two). Celtic and St Johnstone are the masters of spreading the goals - 66% of their goals scored by players other than their top 2. Hearts are pretty good at spreading the goals too - not that there are many of those... :devil:

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 10:58 PM
One-man teams - a good thing or bad? :dunno:

Hibs and Aberdeen lead the way, but relatively successful teams like ICT and Motherwell are not too far behind.

Team..........Player........% Goals......TOP2 %
Hibs...............L. Griffiths.....50%...... 70% (w E Doyle)
Aberdeen........N. McGinn......47%...... 60.5%
Motherwell......M.Higdon........39%.......57.5%
ICT................B. McKay.......34.5%.....53.5%
St.Mirren........S.Thompson....32.5%.....43.2%
Dundee Utd.....J.Russell..........28%......47%

All other teams top scorers have less than 25% of their teams total (and between 33-40% goals scored by their top two). Celtic and St Johnstone are the masters of spreading the goals - 66% of their goals scored by players other than their top 2. Hearts are pretty good at spreading the goals too - not that there are many of those... :devil:

What a revelation, strikers score the majority of their teams goals! In other news unbelievably Ben Williams is the only player at Hibs to keep a clean sheet.

:greengrin Just joking, I get your point and would love to see the midfield weigh in with more goals.

danhibees1875
02-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Being a one man team is made more concerning when you factor in that LG is a loan player too...

rcarter1
02-04-2013, 11:14 PM
What a revelation, strikers score the majority of their teams goals! In other news unbelievably Ben Williams is the only player at Hibs to keep a clean sheet.

:greengrin Just joking, I get your point and would love to see the midfield weigh in with more goals.

Agree the information content in this is somewhat sparse.. :greengrin

I was intrigued though to see Motherwell and ICT fairly reliant on a main man - with St Johnstone and Ross County really good at spreading it about. Is it any reflection in these teams style of play?

Pete
03-04-2013, 01:30 AM
I like your analyses but this creates the impression that we are a one man team...which we certainly aren't. We had great strikers last year and almost got relegated.

We have been blessed this season but who's to say we won't get someone else on loan or sign someone else next season that will bang lots of goals in?

Next season we will have a team with attacking midfielders. If we keep a solid midfield base and defence then we should be getting the proper support to the strikers...whoever they may be.

Never mind sparky. How would Caldwell and Handling have developed if you had shoved them in front of a midfield comprising of Brown/Boozy/Thommo/Sheils/Stewart etc...as Garry and Deek were?

They got fantastic service and once we have built a midfield, as I believe Pat is going to do, we will have the base for young strikers to cut loose as the midfield will also weigh in with goals.

truehibernian
03-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Lazy lazy trolling in my opinion - in my lifetime I've only ever seen a team literally led by one player - Argentina in 86, Maradona.

Leigh needed assists and he got them. So did J Russell, as did Higdon, as did McKay/Shinnie/McGinn

Does the OP do the same research into Van Persie, Ronaldo, Michu at Swansea, or even Taylor or Clark at Falkirk and Queens ?

Every team needs players to assist scorers - away and watch football properly before posting Lilian Gish, no doubt influenced by **** media hype

bingo70
03-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Lazy lazy trolling in my opinion - in my lifetime I've only ever seen a team literally led by one player - Argentina in 86, Maradona.

Leigh needed assists and he got them. So did J Russell, as did Higdon, as did McKay/Shinnie/McGinn

Does the OP do the same research into Van Persie, Ronaldo, Michu at Swansea, or even Taylor or Clark at Falkirk and Queens ?

Every team needs players to assist scorers - away and watch football properly before posting Lilian Gish, no doubt influenced by **** media hype

Don't think I'd put it quite so bluntly but I agree, similar situation to Liverpool a few years ago, everyone kept saying they were a 2 man team with Torres and Gerrard but when they sold Alonso and they're form dipped all the media were saying it was cos they never replaced him, of course they never came out and admitted they were talking pish though.

Lucius Apuleius
03-04-2013, 05:02 AM

Would not have been so blunt either. OP has a point to a certain degree but a team makes the goals, the striker pops them into the net. Something I have said for years, we say quite frequently that keepers cost us a game (less frequently now right enough :-)) however in my opinion strikers probably cost us more with their misses.

rcarter1
03-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Even he needed the other 10 around him.

For sure, but it is clear that these teams focus to an extent on a 'main man'. It isnt a criticism.

No - couldnt be arsed, only really bothered with Hibs and SPL.

I will watch more football in future if possible. For the record my post was influenced to an extent by comments in the media - so I thought Id check out the stats. Superb teams of the current SPL like Hearts and Dundee, and Kilmarnock have a more even spread of goals, and dont have a 'main man'.

Go figure.

Andy74
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I think by playing Leigh you get his individual brilliance and goals but I think it comes with a pay off cost.

Leigh isn't the type to hold it up, to play people in, or the type to be a presence in the box that wide players or supporting midfield players can hit.

I do believe that our lack of goals from elsewhere comes a bit from this as well as people maybe not getting forward to help enough, or having quality to do so well.

If you take Leigh out then I don't think all would be be as bad as all that. Say we had a Higdon type instead, he gets goals from headers and creates a few himself but he also holds it and allows players time to get up and support and can bring them into play.

Something I think we need to think about and maybe Leigh would be better with one of the supporting roles from a wider position.

Anyway, take away Leigh and I don't think you just take away the goals, we would be ablwe to play someone else who may bring a different team approach overall.