PDA

View Full Version : new buyer?investment

hugo boss
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I wonder what the board do to try and get more investment?? and also if there has ever been a buyer intrested in our club?

cocopops1875
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Pretty sure our club/Board do everything they can to get investment from new groups, as for buyers :confused: Is anyone looking to buy a Scottish football club these days ? Regardless of how well run we are (and we are :agree:) the fact is we are still a business losing money:agree:

LeighLoyal
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I don't think there is a fan out there with the money to burn. We're lucky to have a steady owner like Farmer compared to a cowboy like Vlad or Chuckles Green.

MB62
02-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Somebody posted something yesterday about Andy Murray wanting to get involved but that was a Loadypish, as a grumpy auld git once said (actually he said hundreds of times).

Dr Jimmy
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Somebody posted something yesterday about Andy Murray wanting to get involved but that was a Loadypish, as a grumpy auld git once said (actually he said hundreds of times).

That one has probably more to do with yesterdays date...:-)

Captain Trips
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
The board do not need investment they need to go or the ones who have been there for a while ie Rod. We talk about giving a manager time but how much time do people above get to make the right decisions? If PF doesnt work out it isn't due to investment as we have a budget able to be higher.

Be great to get an investor with money but Hibs need to firstly be getting the football basics right and havent been for years and thats the biggest disgrace at Hibs over last 4/5 years. Folk like CC are a symptom.

cocopops1875
02-04-2013, 11:57 AM
The board do not need investment they need to go or the ones who have been there for a while ie Rod. We talk about giving a manager time but how much time do people above get to make the right decisions? If PF doesnt work out it isn't due to investment as we have a budget able to be higher.

Be great to get an investor with money but Hibs need to firstly be getting the football basics right and havent been for years and thats the biggest disgrace at Hibs over last 4/5 years. Folk like CC are a symptom.

The owner wants Rod in Charge and believes he is doing a great job:wink:

Mikey
02-04-2013, 12:14 PM
There's an investment opportunity here........

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/ForeverGreen/0,,10290,00.html

silverhibee
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM

The owner would love to have more Rod Petrie's working for him. :wink: :greengrin

Heedersnvolleys
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I have said this a few times but I think we would find it hard to attract in major outside investment when IMO when we struggle to attract even small to medium investment to the club. I say this as I think a good indicator of this is when you look across to the big comfy black seats in the west, on the majority of occasions they can be very sparsely populated. Even a simple thing like players kit/boot sponsors there a lot of spaces free there. Surely that is some ones job at Hibs to get that income in? That should be any sporting clubs bread and butter if we can’t even get that taken up there is something wrong there I feel. As an investor that would put me off investing if they can’t get our most basic income streams right. I know in the grand scheme of things we are talking peanuts but it all adds up.

Or maybe they rely purely on us plebs ;-)

Keith_M
02-04-2013, 12:28 PM
There's an investment opportunity here........

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/ForeverGreen/0,,10290,00.html

Interesting, so your suggestion is that everyone should keep investing money in Season Tickets without any evidence that the current owners know how to stop the rot of last five years.

Steviie
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't think there is a fan out there with the money to burn. We're lucky to have a steady owner like Farmer compared to a cowboy like Vlad or Chuckles Green.

What has Charles green done wrong ?

MB62
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
That one has probably more to do with yesterdays date...:-)

Aye, but when the poster quoted the name of 'John HTH' I wondered why he would do such a thing.

02-04-2013, 01:13 PM
If somebody was looking to invest in a scottish team, i doubt there is though, I don't think it would take a crazy amount of investment in Hibs to achieve, say, 4th in the league. On the back of that, in theory, more people should be attending the games, maybe better sponsorship deals, some games in Europe, other teams might actually pay something for some of our players, which would mean more money to invest in the team, maybe higher league position and the upward spiral could continue.

Speculate to accumulate. As I said though, don't think anyone would want to speculate the now and I'm not suggesting that hibs do it with their own money in case it goes breasts up.

I'm off to get some Hibs lottery tickets...

ancient hibee
02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
The club is for sale as it has been for at least the last 4 years.

Captain Trips
02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Interesting, so your suggestion is that everyone should keep investing money in Season Tickets without any evidence that the current owners know how to stop the rot of last five years.

:agree:

Hibs supporters have invested more in ST sales than some of the teams above them not only this term but last 3 and beyond, yes we could have more ST holders but there has been enough to be doing better than what we have therefore the issues are with people using this ST money poorly.

DarlingtonHibee
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Rod Petrie has done a good job over the period of STF reign - he trusts Rod (STF made it clear he had no intrest in a "hands on" role) to do what is right to ensure the clubs long term future - living within our budgets.

How many people of this forum work as a Chairman, running a multi million (turnover) business, as well as looking after our intrests at the top table for no salary....

Captain Trips
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Rod Petrie has done a good job over the period of STF reign - he trusts Rod (STF made it clear he had no intrest in a "hands on" role) to do what is right to ensure the clubs long term future - living within our budgets.

How many people of this forum work as a Chairman, running a multi million (turnover) business, as well as looking after our intrests at the top table for no salary....

I do not care if Rod gets 200k or 1p he is involved with club and this proved without any doubt for me that he simply isnt fit for purpose. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/8620628/Colin-Calderwood-admits-his-future-is-in-Hibernian-chairman-Rod-Petries-hands.html

An offer of anything over 2p was enough and it should have been his last piece of business, Rod did well early on but has been found wanting for years.

MB62
02-04-2013, 06:10 PM

He has been in charge of an under performing, loss making business for a few years now.
Thank goodness we don't have 10 R.P's or we might be running to the Mad Man for a loan, and he's broke :greengrin

jdships
02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
The club is for sale as it has been for at least the last 4 years.

Absolutely correct and STF has never hidden that fact
He also is determined not to sell to some ' johnny come lately ' ( his words ) to safeguard the future of the club
Remember the Duff and Gray fiasco !!!!!!!!!!!

:flag:

Pretty Boy
02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Why would anyone want to invest in Scottish football without an ulterior motive?

DarlingtonHibee
02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I do not care if Rod gets 200k or 1p he is involved with club and this proved without any doubt for me that he simply isnt fit for purpose. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/8620628/Colin-Calderwood-admits-his-future-is-in-Hibernian-chairman-Rod-Petries-hands.html

An offer of anything over 2p was enough and it should have been his last piece of business, Rod did well early on but has been found wanting for years.

Fine - so who do want to run our club, assuming you have an idea of a new owner as well, as STF backs Rod's management skills ?

Captain Trips
02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I have no idea as I am not privy to who is available this howevere doesn't mean he is doing a good job simply because I do not have a replacement.

Jonnyboy
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Absolutely correct and STF has never hidden that fact
He also is determined not to sell to some ' johnny come lately ' ( his words ) to safeguard the future of the club
Remember the Duff and Gray fiasco !!!!!!!!!!!

:flag:

Sod it, he had his chance. I'm out :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Why would anyone want to invest in Scottish football without an ulterior motive?

The word "invest" gets my goat a bit. Investment implies return, and, as you say, there's little chance of a decent return in Scottish fitba.

Only McCann and, to a certain extent, STF, have had that in recent years. Vlad's return would have been in UKIO being successful in the UK.... that's gone. And we have seen the messes that the Marrs, Murray and Masterton got into.

The only time it works if the investment is on a "social" level.... like STF... where the "return" is in maintaining the club's existence. Or, where it's play-money, like Jack Walker at Blackburn.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Sod it, he had his chance. I'm out :greengrin

Ach, that's a shame.

The dream-team of Embra authors of Rankin, Rowling and Campbell would have taken all-comers.

Even just JK and Jakey......:greengrin

Mikey
02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
The word "invest" gets my goat a bit.

It's just spending, pure and simple. And in a lot of cases it's the ones who won't part with 22 quid to go to a home game who make the most noise about the lack of "investment". They're particularly noticeable the day after the window closes.

Jonnyboy
02-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Ach, that's a shame.

The dream-team of Embra authors of Rankin, Rowling and Campbell would have taken all-comers.

Even just JK and Jakey......:greengrin

:greengrin

Captain Trips
02-04-2013, 09:25 PM
I have no idea as I am not privy to who is available this howevere doesn't mean he is doing a good job simply because I do not have a replacement.

hibee19
02-04-2013, 11:05 PM

He may know how to run a business and keep costs down but he has no idea how to run a football club.

cocopops1875
02-04-2013, 11:17 PM

so good you said it twice :wink: You dont have to know who is available you just have to say who you would look to bring in :wink:

And also it doesnt mean he is doing a bad job by not making an spl club break even ;-)

Captain Trips
02-04-2013, 11:28 PM
How would I know who to bring in at that level of a business without seeing who is available etc? Its nothing to do with breaking even its to do with the problems in underachievement on pitch for a few years. Hibs failings are not at investment level which yes is a positive for board but thats wiped out with wasting it year on year.

Me knowing of a replacement or not has no relevance on whether I think he is doing good job. I am quite happy to give it a bash for £100k pa lol

rcarter1
02-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Id love to see an initiative whereby Hibs fans coordinated a long term fund raising activity aimed at buying a significant percentage in the club over the years. Would be a very direct way for supporters to have a say in how the club is run.

And if we ended up in debt - we'd owe it to ourselves and all would be barry...:Awright!:

cabbageandribs1875
02-04-2013, 11:41 PM
He may know how to run a business and keep costs down but he has no idea how to run a football club.

on the contrary(imo) he just isn't very good at picking football team managers :(

Captain Trips
02-04-2013, 11:43 PM
on the contrary(imo) he just isn't very good at picking football team managers :(

So just one of the key aspects of the job then :)

hibee19
03-04-2013, 12:02 AM

Crowds have been falling for years and we have been down sizing, we live within our means but never have a hope of achieving anything greater, we've been crap for too long.

I'm not for reckless spending but we've all seen that when we have a product worth selling, the hope of some success supporters come out in huge numbers.

Kaiser1962
03-04-2013, 06:20 AM
The word "invest" gets my goat a bit. Investment implies return, and, as you say, there's little chance of a decent return in Scottish fitba.

Only McCann and, to a certain extent, STF, have had that in recent years. Vlad's return would have been in UKIO being successful in the UK.... that's gone. And we have seen the messes that the Marrs, Murray and Masterton got into.

The only time it works if the investment is on a "social" level.... like STF... where the "return" is in maintaining the club's existence. Or, where it's play-money, like Jack Walker at Blackburn.

The only nit I would pick with this would be that STF would need to sell for an amount of about £8m-£10m just to break even. There is little doubt the FC is worth nothing like that amount (as an FC) if there was anybody out there even capable of paying it in the first place.

Remarks regarding "investment" are spot on and the other oft used phrase that gets me is "speculate to accumulate". We have currently, and have had in the past, some of the country's top businessmen running football clubs and struggling to do so profitably, despite throwing shed loads of money (usually someone else's) at their pet club.

cocopops1875
03-04-2013, 06:27 AM
How would I know who to bring in at that level of a business without seeing who is available etc? Its nothing to do with breaking even its to do with the problems in underachievement on pitch for a few years. Hibs failings are not at investment level which yes is a positive for board but thats wiped out with wasting it year on year.

Me knowing of a replacement or not has no relevance on whether I think he is doing good job. I am quite happy to give it a bash for £100k pa lol

See you've already lost us another £100k per year :wink: no easy is it :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
03-04-2013, 06:28 AM
I wonder what the board do to try and get more investment?? and also if there has ever been a buyer intrested in our club?

:hmmm:

MB62
03-04-2013, 07:18 AM
The only nit I would pick with this would be that STF would need to sell for an amount of about £8m-£10m just to break even. There is little doubt the FC is worth nothing like that amount (as an FC) if there was anybody out there even capable of paying it in the first place.

Where on earth do you get that figure from?
STF could walk for nothing and still have made a profit from Hibs.

Lucius Apuleius
03-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Where on earth do you get that figure from?
STF could walk for nothing and still have made a profit from Hibs.

Okay, I'll bite. How does this happen?

MB62
03-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Okay, I'll bite. How does this happen?

due to the money made on the land sale of the old East terracing.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2013, 08:00 AM
So just one of the key aspects of the job then :)

Probably the main aspect of the job? :boo hoo:

Lucius Apuleius
03-04-2013, 08:09 AM
due to the money made on the land sale of the old East terracing.

Ah, OK, so how much did he get for that?

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-04-2013, 08:10 AM

:top marks

MB62
03-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Ah, OK, so how much did he get for that?

Ach, it's all been debated, discussed and disclosed many times before on here and I cannae be bothered going into it all again.
He gave the club £6m from the sale, a nice gesture I suppose, but suffice to say he would have had a similar amount, or at least the company he owned did.

Lucius Apuleius
03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Ach, it's all been debated, discussed and disclosed many times before on here and I cannae be bothered going into it all again.
He gave the club £6m from the sale, a nice gesture I suppose, but suffice to say he would have had a similar amount, or at least the company he owned did.

Really? Surmising or definite? I seem to recall now you mention it that this notion was also debunked on here?

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I think the current board done well on getting the stadium completed and EM set up. That is were it ends though. Where it really matters i.e Managers Petrie and the board have failed us badly past few years and it's showing with attendances dropping like a stone. Folk are fed up sticking hard earned money into the club and getting nothing to shout about for it in return. The football that's being played just now and past few seasons has been nothing short of terrible. I still think Petrie should have walked after the East was completed and left with the feeling he done a good job setting the foundations for someone else to step into those shoes.

No I don't know anyone before any smart arse comments get asked. It's not my job to know. It's my job to support the team which I always do but even i'm getting fed up pumping the cash in and watching piss poor teams. These players are picked by the managers the managers are picked by the board. For me a new board would defo be welcomed by me and new idea's could be exactly the way forward. Petrie and Farmer wouldn't sell to some random idiot that's one good thing but i'd hope if someone was there or if they made it public the club was for sale someone would come forward. If not then fair do's they tried.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2013, 09:05 AM
As far as Scottish football clubs are concerned, I'm not sure investment is the right word.

Dissipation would be more appropriate.

bingo70
03-04-2013, 09:12 AM
I think the current board done well on getting the stadium completed and EM set up. That is were it ends though. Where it really matters i.e Managers Petrie and the board have failed us badly past few years and it's showing with attendances dropping like a stone. Folk are fed up sticking hard earned money into the club and getting nothing to shout about for it in return. The football that's being played just now and past few seasons has been nothing short of terrible. I still think Petrie should have walked after the East was completed and left with the feeling he done a good job setting the foundations for someone else to step into those shoes.

No I don't know anyone before any smart arse comments get asked. It's not my job to know. It's my job to support the team which I always do but even i'm getting fed up pumping the cash in and watching piss poor teams. These players are picked by the managers the managers are picked by the board. For me a new board would defo be welcomed by me and new idea's could be exactly the way forward. Petrie and Farmer wouldn't sell to some random idiot that's one good thing but id hope if someone was there or if they made it public the club was for sale someone would come forward. If not then fair do's they tried.

I think the club have said over the last few years we're effectively up for sale as we're open to all offers but just nobody is interested.

Tbf why would they be?

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Really? Surmising or definite? I seem to recall now you mention it that this notion was also debunked on here?

Many times. :agree:

I think it was Cav who had the CAV on that.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 10:17 AM
I think the club have said over the last few years we're effectively up for sale as we're open to all offers but just nobody is interested.

Tbf why would they be?

See that's the thing Bingo I don't think many folk do know it's for sale. You yourself just said "You think". Prob as we are both Hibs fans we would take more interest. But if Farmer came out in the news publicly and said I am looking for a buyer for Hibs I think there would be interest. Everyone knows there isn't any money in Scottish football just now. But we have the foundations there to be a very big club if taken in the right direction. We have a big fan base over all. Only a few just bother to turn up now.

Just look at Jenkins the Swansea chairman. This was a man who took over in 2002 I think it was and had a vision. Now at that time Swansea didn't have a training complex like ours or a completed stadium like ours. This was just someone who took a chance. With Rangers out the equation I think whoever is buying has a better advantage now than ever to run Celtic to the wire as they are poor just now. At least get 2nd. Folk still won't be up for change no matter what as Rod in some peoples eyes can and has done no wrong. That's fair enough, but IMHO to move Hibs forward we have to move the board on.

bingo70
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
See that's the thing Bingo I don't think many folk do know it's for sale. You yourself just said "You think". Prob as we are both Hibs fans we would take more interest. But if Farmer came out in the news publicly and said I am looking for a buyer for Hibs I think there would be interest. Everyone knows there isn't any money in Scottish football just now. But we have the foundations there to be a very big club if taken in the right direction. We have a big fan base over all. Only a few just bother to turn up now.

Just look at Jenkins the Swansea chairman. This was a man who took over in 2002 I think it was and had a vision. Now at that time Swansea didn't have a training complex like ours or a completed stadium like ours. This was just someone who took a chance. With Rangers out the equation I think whoever is buying has a better advantage now than ever to run Celtic to the wire as they are poor just now. At least get 2nd. Folk still won't be up for change no matter what as Rod in some peoples eyes can and has done no wrong. That's fair enough, but IMHO to move Hibs forward we have to move the board on.

Swansea had something to strive to though, we don't have the foundations to become a really big club, we have the foundations that should see us becoming the third biggest in Scotland, its a matter of time till the rangers are in the SPL so the most that could be achieved would be third place and the odd good cup run, that wouldn't be of interest to someone looking to make a decent investment in football

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2013, 10:22 AM

He doesn't need to take out an ad in the Metro.

Those who have the ability, and facility, to buy Hibs know that STF would sell to the right person. However, they are also the same people who are smart enough to know that there is no money to be made.

The Swansea analogy is misleading. They are in a different environment, with stupid TV money. For every Swansea, there is Leeds, Portsmouth and Coventry. QPR are next.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Swansea had something to strive to though, we don't have the foundations to become a really big club, we have the foundations that should see us becoming the third biggest in Scotland, its a matter of time till the rangers are in the SPL so the most that could be achieved would be third place and the odd good cup run, that wouldn't be of interest to someone looking to make a decent investment in football

We can't we strive to be No.1 in Scotland? Why should we settle for anything less. In the early 80's Celtic and Rangers weren't great. They built on it. We can build from what we have now with the right people. I see what your saying but I also think, well just because 3rd will only ever be the best we can ever hope for why keep supporting them? You see what I'm saying? I get we prob won't ever be No.1 but to not strive for it for means means we are failing.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 10:30 AM
He doesn't need to take out an ad in the Metro.

Those who have the ability, and facility, to buy Hibs know that STF would sell to the right person. However, they are also the same people who are smart enough to know that there is no money to be made.

The Swansea analogy is misleading. They are in a different environment, with stupid TV money. For every Swansea, there is Leeds, Portsmouth and Coventry. QPR are next.

I'm not asking for an ad in the metro. Swansea didn't have the TV money to start with though did they? If we made the Champions League each year the money we would get is unreal. Ok it's been made harder with the 2nd spot being taken away granted. Yes Swansea is a pretty unique case. But one that still happened. Just because there is a Leeds, Portsmouth etc.. doesn't mean we would end up that way as my point was he was a clever chairman who picked his managers wisely and went through the leagues. Funny how that board has managed to be successful in picking managers isn't it??

bingo70
03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
We can't we strive to be No.1 in Scotland? Why should we settle for anything less. In the early 80's Celtic and Rangers weren't great. They built on it. We can build from what we have now with the right people. I see what your saying but I also think, well just because 3rd will only ever be the best we can ever hope for why keep supporting them? You see what I'm saying? I get we prob won't ever be No.1 but to not strive for it for means means we are failing.

because it would take millions to strive for it and it'd probably fail and we'd then be in the ****, even if it didn't fail we still wouldn't make enough to pay back those debts so we'd still end up in the ****.

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm not asking for an ad in the metro. Swansea didn't have the TV money to start with though did they? If we made the Champions League each year the money we would get is unreal. Ok it's been made harder with the 2nd spot being taken away granted. Yes Swansea is a pretty unique case. But one that still happened. Just because there is a Leeds, Portsmouth etc.. doesn't mean we would end up that way as my point was he was a clever chairman who picked his managers wisely and went through the leagues. Funny how that board has managed to be successful in picking managers isn't it??

You're missing my point.

There are no buyers because there is no money to be made. As has been said often enough, the only way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a big one.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 10:35 AM
because it would take millions to strive for it and it'd probably fail and we'd then be in the ****, even if it didn't fail we still wouldn't make enough to pay back those debts so we'd still end up in the ****.

Bingo you're missing the point here. I'm not asking to go and blow millions. This is the SPL. A good infrastructure here and a slow building process that won't see us fall into millions of debt. In fact I'm prob wasting my time trying to put this across as you can't see past our current board. All i'm saying is no matter which sport you are in there is no harm in striving to be No.1 if done in the proper manner.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 10:37 AM
You're missing my point.

There are no buyers because there is no money to be made. As has been said often enough, the only way to make a small fortune in football is to start with a big one.

I've said there isn't money to be made. It would need to be someone with money already and happy to put it into a club. Now that could be hard to find yes. But is there any harm in trying? If not this current board that so many Hibs fans fear of losing will still be there.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2013, 10:41 AM

:agree: As much as we don't like it, 3rd is normally as good as we can get. Look at Hearts, look what they have spent to get a little bit od success, and what its cost them?

They are the closest club we can gauge against, similar crowds and similar expenditure in a normal year. :wink: A good manager should be able to get us Hearts and the Dons in a fight for Europe every season, without putting their club in the kind of trouble Hearts are in now.

bingo70
03-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Bingo you're missing the point here. I'm not asking to go and blow millions. This is the SPL. A good infrastructure here and a slow building process that won't see us fall into millions of debt. In fact I'm prob wasting my time trying to put this across as you can't see past our current board. All i'm saying is no matter which sport you are in there is no harm in striving to be No.1 if done in the proper manner.

I'd be all for change at the top, I think we probably could do with a freshness and new ideas I'm just a realist, sorry to say but what you're looking for is completely unrealistic although of course that's what everyone strives for.

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
I've said there isn't money to be made. It would need to be someone with money already and happy to put it into a club. Now that could be hard to find yes. But is there any harm in trying? If not this current board that so many Hibs fans fear of losing will still be there.

Which brings us round in circles. STF is willing to sell to the right buyer. There is no-one as yet.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/I%27d+sell+Hibs+if+offer+was+right%3B+BUT+FARMER+W ON%27T+LEAVE+CLUB+IN...-a060265089

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 10:55 AM
I'd be all for change at the top, I think we probably could do with a freshness and new ideas I'm just a realist, sorry to say but what you're looking for is completely unrealistic although of course that's what everyone strives for.

So to strive for it is unrealistic? Making sure you go in the right direction under the right guidance is unrealistic? To have a goal to be No.1 isn't unrealistic, not in my eyes. Suppose that's the good thing about opinions.

The Modfather
03-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Perhaps it's not a new buyer we need. Or even for Farmer to be more "hands on" or "ambitious". Perhaps it's just the blind spot he seems to have when it comes to Petrie that needs worked on.

IMO Petrie has been found wanting for a very long time now and ducks accountability like a politician.

There was an excellent thread a while back about the Swansea analogy mentioned in a few posts on this thread. Does Petrie have a consistant vision and an ethos for the club that, for example, drives recruiting managers? I very much doubt it.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Perhaps it's not a new buyer we need. Or even for Farmer to be more "hands on" or "ambitious". Perhaps it's just the blind spot he seems to have when it comes to Petrie that needs worked on.

IMO Petrie has been found wanting for a very long time now and ducks accountability like a politician.

There was an excellent thread a while back about the Swansea analogy mentioned in a few posts on this thread. Does Petrie have a consistant vision and an ethos for the club that, for example, drives recruiting managers? I very much doubt it.

This is a good point actually. Sadly I think Farmer has said he doesn't want a hands on approach though as he's no real interest in football. But I like what you're saying mate.

MB62
03-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Many times. :agree:

I think it was Cav who had the CAV on that.

don't think so CWG, That was a different debate over what STF paid to take control of the club.

Anyway, back to the original point, it would not take £6m - £8m to but the club, or at least it shouldn't anyway, unless a certain individual is looking to walk away with a healthy profit :wink:

matty_f
03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
So to strive for it is unrealistic? Making sure you go in the right direction under the right guidance is unrealistic? To have a goal to be No.1 isn't unrealistic, not in my eyes. Suppose that's the good thing about opinions.

I actually agree with you, and I disagree to an extent that it would need millions to be spent to be successful.

A good plan, with the right people, can get you a long way.

For Hibs, over the next few years there should only really be 2, maybe 3 clubs with more resources than us in Scotland. Is it really that impossible to think that we can't out-perform those clubs, even once?

When you look at the results Celtc have had this season, they range from the exceptional (beating Barca) to the honking (more than a few times!). It's not that great a leap of the imagination to think a team could have threatened them more than they did this season. Staying with Celtc, getting beyond the group stages of the Champions League on the relative resources they have compared to some of the teams that didn't go that far, is remarkable. The right people, and a good plan got them there.

At Hibs, we need to have a coherent plan set out to take the club forward. It needs to be driven from the very top of the club and have every single person that is connected with the club on-board and going in the same direction. From the kit man to the captain, every job, every action, every task must be carried out with the sole aim of meeting that plan.

If you can get that, and you have the right people (and you'll soon find out if you have the right people, if you don't - you need to replace them) then you can be successful. 1st place in the league is unobtainable right now, maybe even next season or the season after, but we should never, ever consider it out of our reach forever.

LWT are in the process of putting together a plan along those lines which the Board have agreed to consider in the near future. IMHO, it is something that is absolutely critical to take the club forward and stop us drifting from season to season with our fingers crossed that everything will be alright.

Thecat23
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I actually agree with you, and I disagree to an extent that it would need millions to be spent to be successful.

A good plan, with the right people, can get you a long way.

For Hibs, over the next few years there should only really be 2, maybe 3 clubs with more resources than us in Scotland. Is it really that impossible to think that we can't out-perform those clubs, even once?

When you look at the results Celtc have had this season, they range from the exceptional (beating Barca) to the honking (more than a few times!). It's not that great a leap of the imagination to think a team could have threatened them more than they did this season. Staying with Celtc, getting beyond the group stages of the Champions League on the relative resources they have compared to some of the teams that didn't go that far, is remarkable. The right people, and a good plan got them there.

At Hibs, we need to have a coherent plan set out to take the club forward. It needs to be driven from the very top of the club and have every single person that is connected with the club on-board and going in the same direction. From the kit man to the captain, every job, every action, every task must be carried out with the sole aim of meeting that plan.

If you can get that, and you have the right people (and you'll soon find out if you have the right people, if you don't - you need to replace them) then you can be successful. 1st place in the league is unobtainable right now, maybe even next season or the season after, but we should never, ever consider it out of our reach forever.

LWT are in the process of putting together a plan along those lines which the Board have agreed to consider in the near future. IMHO, it is something that is absolutely critical to take the club forward and stop us drifting from season to season with our fingers crossed that everything will be alright.

:top marks

ancient hibee
03-04-2013, 05:21 PM
I think I'm right in saying that Celtic can put out a team of internationalists(although not top grade ones).They over achieved and got past the group stages and made lots of money so that they were able to pay off the bank but not other outstanding debts-this is after loads of TV money and paying gates(if not actual Attendances)of 60000.The point I'm trying to make is that this has taken a huge spend and next season?Once again they will have to play out of their skins to get into the group stages.If they don't make it watch for the transfers out.Without a multi millionaire prepared to put a fortune into the club we have no hope of equalling Celtic's performance-the support is just not big enough.As for Swansea they have reached their limit-a good cup and mid table-good on them but that's it.

The Falcon
03-04-2013, 07:16 PM

And in all probability never to be seen again and get folk like MB62 repeating nonsense that has been taken apart time and again, yet still passing it off as fact.

I cant see whats not to like.

The Falcon
03-04-2013, 07:25 PM
don't think so CWG, That was a different debate over what STF paid to take control of the club.

Anyway, back to the original point, it would not take £6m - £8m to but the club, or at least it shouldn't anyway, unless a certain individual is looking to walk away with a healthy profit :wink:

Read the first post here
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?135671-So-what-happened-to-the-money-from-the-car-park

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Read the first post here
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?135671-So-what-happened-to-the-money-from-the-car-park

Cheers :wink: