PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball 2013

Sylar
02-04-2013, 08:07 AM
So the opening day has come and gone (I didn't bother starting this during Spring Training and the WBC as I've otherwise been busy) the past 2 days and the Summer sport is underway (if only the weather would now join it - looked positively freezing, particularly in Minnesota last night!). Houston won their first game as an American League side following their summer move to the AL West and some surprising opening day scores were certainly abound.

Texas 2-8 Houston
L.A. Angels 3-1 Cincinnati
Boston 8-2 N.Y. Yankees
Miami 0-2 Washington
Detroit 4-2 Minnesota
San Diego 2-11 N.Y. Mets
Kansas City 0-1 Chicago W.S.
Chicago Cubs 3-1 Pittsburgh
Seattle 2-0 Oakland
Colorado 4-5 Milwaukee
San Francisco 0-4 L.A. Dodgers
Philadelphia 5-7 Atlanta
St Louis 2-6 Arizona

A few teams still to open their accounts (Baltimore @ Tampa Bay and Cleveland @ Toronto tonight) but we're up and running!

NOLA
03-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Red sox hammered the yankees which is always nice to see :) just need the Indians to do the biz today

Sylar
03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Wow - didn't watch it live but seen highlights this morning and Texas pitcher Yu Darvish came 1 out away from pitching a perfect game!

Your Indians managed to win which was genuinely a surprise for me, as I fancy the Jays to be thereabout in the AL East this year.

Baltimore 7-4 Tampa Bay
Cleveland 4-1 Toronto
Colorado 8-4 Milwaukee
Texas 7-0 Houston (normal service resumed for the Astros)
St Louis 6-1 Arizona
Seattle 7-1 Oakland
San Francisco 3-0 L.A. Dodgers

Red Sox @ Yankees again tonight (just after 11pm start) and the first full schedule tonight.

Haymaker
03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Red Sox!

James.
03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
It's not easy to build a great baseball team in just one off season (Marlin fans will tell you that) A lot of pressure on the Blue Jays to win it all. I like the look of the Orioles for the AL East. One thing is for sure is that it's going to a long season for the Yankees and the Red Sox.

Can't see past the Nationals in our own division and I think they could go all the way. Some real talented youngster such as Harper and Strasburg to complement established players like Zimmerman.

Haymaker
04-04-2013, 04:01 AM
7-4 victory over the Yankees *does the happy dance*

James.
04-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Arizona and St Louis are still going (16th inning) Longest ever game at Chase Field. Matt Harvey was sensational for the Mets last night as we destroyed San Diego for the second time.

Sylar
04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Conclusion from last night is that we're still not settled on who should close for us.

We were looking good until the bottom of the 9th until the Twins scored 2 to win 3-2.

Sylar
04-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Kansas City 2-5 Chicago W.S.
Chicago Cubs 0-3 Pittsburgh
Texas 4-0 Houston
Miami 0-3 Washington
Detroit 2-3 Minnesota
Philadelphia 2-9 Atlanta
Boston 7-4 N.Y. Yankees
San Diego 4-8 N.Y. Mets
Cleveland 3-2 Toronto F/11
Colorado 7-3 Milwaukee
Baltimore 7-8 Tampa Bay
St Louis 9-10 Arizona F/16
Seattle 2-6 Oakland
San Francisco 5-3 L.A. Dodgers
L.A. Angels 4-5 Cincinnati

Sylar
05-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Quite unimpressed with the Tigers thus far. We're hotly tipped this year again and favourites to win the AL Central but I'm not convinced.

Mediocre Spring Training and although we've an impressive batting line-up, our pitching roster worries me...and it's showing in regular season why!

Yankees got one back against the Red Sox last night, Nationals sweep the Marlins, Toronto finally find a way to beat Cleveland and the Mets fall to the Padres!

L.A. Angels 4-5 Cincinnati
Chicago Cubs 3-2 Pittsburgh
Detroit 2-8 Minnesota
N.Y. Mets 1-2 San Diego
Kansas City 3-1 Chicago W.S.
Baltimore 6-3 Tampa Bay
Seattle 2-8 Oakland
Miami 1-6 Washington
Boston 2-4 N.Y. Yankees
Cleveland 8-10 Toronto
Philadelphia 2-0 Atlanta

Sylar
05-04-2013, 10:17 PM
The Yankees slump to 1-3 as we go to .500 after a convincing 8-4 win for the Tigs!

Sylar
06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Cincinnati have certainly started well and hammered Washington last night, racking up 6 HRs in the process!

N.Y. Yankees 3-8 Detroit
L.A. Angels 2-3 Texas
Minnesota 5-9 Baltimore
Kansas City 13-4 Philadelphia
San Diego 2-5 Colorado
St Louis 0-1 San Francisco
Boston 6-4 Toronto
Cleveland 0-4 Tampa Bay
Miami 7-5 N.Y. Mets
Washington 0-15 Cincinnati
Chicago Cubs 1-4 Atlanta
Arizona 3-1 Milwaukee
Oakland 8-3 Houston
Seattle 8-7 Chicago W.S. F/10
Pittsburgh 0-3 L.A. Dodgers

Sylar
07-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Another comfortable win for us against the Yankees last night - After our opening against the Twins I was genuinely worried about the Yankees coming to town!

Boston 0-5 Toronto
Miami 3-7 N.Y. Mets
Seattle 3-4 Chicago W.S.
Washington 7-6 Cincinnati F/11
L.A. Angels 8-4 Texas
N.Y. Yankees 4-8 Detroit
St Louis 6-3 San Francisco
Kansas City 3-4 Philadelphia
Minnesota 6-5 Baltimore
Arizona 9-2 Milwaukee
Chicago Cubs 5-6 Atlanta
Cleveland 0-6 Tampa Bay
Oakland 6-3 Houston
San Diego 3-6 Colorado
Pittsburgh 0-1 L.A. Dodgers

Sylar
08-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Sabathia dominated us last night as the Yanks hit 7 without reply. Some outstanding pitching from the big guy, sadly :agree:

Boston 13-0 Toronto
N.Y. Yankees 7-0 Detroit
Miami 3-4 N.Y. Mets
Washington 3-6 Cincinnati
Chicago Cubs 1-5 Atlanta
Kansas City 9-8 Philadelphia
Minnesota 4-3 Baltimore
Cleveland 13-0 Tampa Bay
Arizona 8-7 Milwaukee F/11
Oakland 9-3 Houston
Seattle 3-4 Chicago W.S. F/10
Pittsburgh 2-6 L.A. Dodgers
San Diego 1-9 Colorado
St Louis 14-3 San Francisco
L.A. Angels 3-7 Texas

Fenway opener for the Red Sox this evening (7pm BST) against Baltimore which is the free game of the day on MLB.com.

James.
08-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Harvey v Halladay is going to be a great match up tonight I think :aok:

Cubs getting shelled early on in one of the day games today

Sylar
09-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Day off for us yesterday but still some decent games were on the schedule.

Baltimore 1-3 Boston
Milwaukee 7-4 Chicago Cubs
N.Y. Yankees 11-6 Cleveland
Minnesota 1-3 Kansas City
Cincinnati 13-4 St Louis
N.Y. Mets 7-4 Philadelphia
Atlanta 2-0 Miami
Tampa Bay 4-5 Texas
Pittsburgh 5-3 Arizona
Houston 0-3 Seattle
Colorado 2-4 San Francisco

Atlanta currently have the best record of 6-1, followed closely by Boston, Arizona, Colorado, Cincinnati, Texas, N.Y. Mets and Oakland who are all on 5-2.

Miami, San Diego and Houston are certainly shaping up to be fodder with only 1 win each thus far.

Sylar
10-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Another solid win for us last night. Our bats have started the season well for the most part and our entire roster looks scary right now! Nice that we've discovered a real class act in Anibel Sanchez to add to our rotation too!

Toronto 3-7 Detroit
L.A. Dodgers 3-9 San Diego
Chicago White Sox 7-8 Washington
N.Y. Yankees 14-1 Cleveland
N.Y Mets 3-8 Philadelphia
Atlanta 3-2 Miami
Milwaukee 3-6 Chicago Cubs
Tampa Bay 1-6 Texas
Minnesota 4-7 Kansas City
Cincinnati 1-5 St Louis
Pittsburgh 6-5 Arizona
Oakland 9-5 L.A. Angels
Houston 16-9 Seattle
Colorado 6-9 San Francisco

Haymaker
11-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Bostons sell out steak has ended. 800 odd games.

Sylar
11-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Bostons sell out steak has ended. 800 odd games.

An impressive run though, despite the quality of the baseball in the past few seasons at Fenway.

Toronto 8-6 Detroit
Cincinnati 0-10 St Louis
Tampa Bay 2-0 Texas
Pittsburgh 2-10 Arizona
Colorado 0-10 San Francisco
Chicago White Sox 2-5 Washington
N.Y. Mets 3-7 Philadelphia
Atlanta 8-0 Miami
Baltimore 8-5 Boston
Minnesota 0-3 Kansas City
Oakland 11-5 L.A. Angels
Houston 8-3 Seattle
L.A. Dodgers 4-3 San Diego

N.Y Yankees @ Cleveland and Milwaukee @ Chicago Cubs were both postponed due to the weather last night.

I've no doubt that with all of the power in their lineup, the Angels will come good but it's a surprise they're off to such a bad start (2-6). I pity anyone who's a fan of Miami right now (1-8). Atlanta on the other hand have started like an express train (8-1).

Sylar
12-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Again, the Yankees @ Cleveland game postponed due to adverse weather. Having watched the Tigers games the last few days, it really doesn't look like baseball season has arrived yet!

Toronto 1-11 Detroit
San Francisco 7-6 Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox 4-7 Washington
Baltimore 3-2 Boston
Oakland 8-1 L.A. Angels
L.A. Dodgers 3-2 San Diego
Texas 4-3 Seattle

hibsbollah
12-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Again, the Yankees @ Cleveland game postponed due to adverse weather. Having watched the Tigers games the last few days, it really doesn't look like baseball season has arrived yet!

Toronto 1-11 Detroit
San Francisco 7-6 Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox 4-7 Washington
Baltimore 3-2 Boston
Oakland 8-1 L.A. Angels
L.A. Dodgers 3-2 San Diego
Texas 4-3 Seattle

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/mlb/story/2013/04/11/sp-cubs-owner-tom-ricketts.html

Cubs 5-0 up against the Giants and blow it 7-6. A Cubs fan who sent a severed goats head to the Cubs owner in a cardboard box, in reference to the 'stinky goat' curse, is being searched for by police. Another dull losing season at Wrigley Field :aok:

Sylar
13-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Heartbreaker last night, losing after 12 innings to Oakland. Tampa Bay @ Boston was postponed due to the weather again and will be played later this afternoon (6pm here).

San Francisco 3-4 Chicago Cubs
Atlanta 6-4 Washington F/10
Baltimore 2-5 N.Y. Yankees
Chicago White Sox 0-1 Cleveland
Cincinnati 5-6 Pittsburgh
Philadelphia 3-1 Miami F/10
N.Y Mets 16-5 Minnesota
Toronto 8-4 Kansas City
Milwaukee 0-2 St Louis
L.A. Dodgers 0-3 Arizona
Detroit 3-4 Oakland F/12
Houston 5-0 L.A. Angels
Colorado 7-5 San Diego
Texas 1-3 Seattle

Sylar
14-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Quite pleased we managed to finally end the A's run streak - didn't realise quite how good a run they'd been on of late!

Atlanta 3-1 Washington
Tampa Bay 1-2 Boston F/10
San Francisco 3-2 Chicago Cubs
Baltimore 5-3 N.Y. Yankees
Chicago White Sox 4-9 Cleveland
Detroit 7-3 Oakland
N.Y. Mets 4-2 Minnesota
Milwaukee 0-8 St Louis
Cincinnati 1-3 Pittsburgh
Philadelphia 1-2 Miami
Toronto 3-2 Kansas City
L.A. Dodgers 7-5 Arizona
Colorado 9-5 San Diego
Houston 4-5 L.A. Angels
Texas 3-1 Seattle

James.
14-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Harvey took a no hitter into the 7th yesterday. He's given up only 5 hits in his first three starts going at least to the 7th in each. Most exciting young pitcher I've seen at the Mets - looks to be a very special player!

Sylar
14-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Harvey took a no hitter into the 7th yesterday. He's given up only 5 hits in his first three starts going at least to the 7th in each. Most exciting young pitcher I've seen at the Mets - looks to be a very special player!

I've heard a lot of hype surrounding him but I've not actually seen him pitch yet. Will try and catch him on his next outing though as his stats are pretty damned impressive thus far.

James.
14-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I've heard a lot of hype surrounding him but I've not actually seen him pitch yet. Will try and catch him on his next outing though as his stats are pretty damned impressive thus far.

NY hype can get a bit much - the comparisons are ranging from Dwight Gooden and David Cone right up to the greatest Met of them all, Tom Seaver.

Sylar
27-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Work has taken over a little so I've not been keeping up to pace but caught our games against an on-fire Braves side and we were devastating.

Anibal Sanchez set a new Tigers record with 17 strikeouts as we racked up 10 hits unanswered. Just slightly over .500 just now (11-10) but I've no doubt we'll pick up speed. Far too good a batting lineup not to!

Boston are surprising everyone I think so far this season, looking red hot at the top of the AL East and have the best record in the league (16-7) along with Texas :agree:

Sylar
30-04-2013, 07:46 AM
The L.A. Angels and Oakland A's started at 10:05pm ET last night (3.05am) and they're still going right now!

Currently top of the 17th!!!

Sylar
30-04-2013, 08:00 AM
And now into the 18th...officially the longest game in Oakland A's history according to the announcer!

The Mets and Marlins went to 15 innings last night too.

We managed to see off the Twins with a 4-3 win which sends us to the top of the Central.

Sylar
30-04-2013, 08:20 AM
19th inning now - this is getting silly!

Neither team look like they have the energy to muster a hit to end the game...

Sylar
30-04-2013, 08:41 AM
2 run walk-off home run in the bottom of the 19th finally wins it for Oakland.

Thank **** as it means I can now get on with some work! :greengrin

Sylar
05-05-2013, 08:58 AM
We were a joy to watch last night, pounding Houston 17-2 on the road! :not worth

Haymaker
08-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Is there a good highlights package for the MLB? My friend got attached to the Yankees (spit) while living state side but not enough to watch all the time. Asked me if I knew a package to let him see the games quick, I havent a clue!

Sylar
08-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Is there a good highlights package for the MLB? My friend got attached to the Yankees (spit) while living state side but not enough to watch all the time. Asked me if I knew a package to let him see the games quick, I havent a clue!

The highlights of all games are shown on mlb.com/mediacenter - I have the MLB.tv package but I'm never asked to sign in to watch the highlights. They also show the condensed game which is between 15-25 minutes per game and again, I don't need to sign in to view this.

NOLA
12-06-2013, 09:43 PM
nice wee tear up between the dodgers and diamonbacks , surprised this still happens though TBH youd think mlb would stamp this out its like going to a fight and seeing a hockey game break out :casper:

Dashing Bob S
01-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Pirate heaven. Stunned beyond belief.

Treadstone
01-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Their bullpen is immense. Cardinals are the most complete team in the majors IMO. Any distance the Pirates can put between themselves and the Cards and Reds should help them reach the playoffs.

Sylar
01-07-2013, 10:03 AM

I was thinking of you the other day as I was glancing through the standings actually! Quite stunned with how good they've looked this season.

Also very impressed by the Red Sox - tipped to be canon fodder again this season and looking really good going into the All Star break!

I remain somewhat subdued by the Tigers just now - power in abundance but lacking consistency - decent starting pitching staff (including the imperious Max Scherzer who is 12-0) but poor relief and still lacking a recognised closer.

Thoroughly enjoying this season so far!

Sylar
05-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Pirates STILL lead the NL Central by 1.5 games! :greengrin

Some real surprises so far this season though still a while to go yet. Boston still strong (sorry) at the top of the AL East, Detroit have a 3 game lead over Cleveland in the AL Central, The Oakland A's (!) lead the AL West by 2.5 games, Atlanta are on fire at the minute with a 12.5 game lead in the NL East and the L.A. Dodgers are comfortable in the NL West with a 5.5 game lead.

Strange to see the Yankees down in 4th with a 9.5 game trail though perhaps the return of A-Rod will give them some added presence at the plate.

Treadstone
05-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Pirates STILL lead the NL Central by 1.5 games! :greengrin

Some real surprises so far this season though still a while to go yet. Boston still strong (sorry) at the top of the AL East, Detroit have a 3 game lead over Cleveland in the AL Central, The Oakland A's (!) lead the AL West by 2.5 games, Atlanta are on fire at the minute with a 12.5 game lead in the NL East and the L.A. Dodgers are comfortable in the NL West with a 5.5 game lead.

Strange to see the Yankees down in 4th with a 9.5 game trail though perhaps the return of A-Rod will give them some added presence at the plate.

No mention of the Rays! Best rotation in baseball. Will Myers is a stud. Can see them going all the way. Confident in their ability to win the East and possibly have the best manager in the game. Yanks are done in my opinion, A-Roid might return but will receive his suspension soon after. Their rotation outside of Kuroda is inconsistent. National league looks strong this year.

Sylar
05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
No mention of the Rays! Best rotation in baseball. Will Myers is a stud. Can see them going all the way. Confident in their ability to win the East and possibly have the best manager in the game. Yanks are done in my opinion, A-Roid might return but will receive his suspension soon after. Their rotation outside of Kuroda is inconsistent. National league looks strong this year.

Yeah, the Rays are looking good right now and I've enjoyed the to-ing and fro-ing between them and the Red Sox the past few weeks. Think it'll remain close til the season's end!

I agree with you - can't see the Yankees doing much more the rest of this season - you were also right about Rodriguez:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23578738

211 games! Quiet disappointed to see one of our better players in Johnny Peralta also getting caught up in it and being handed a 50 game ban, along with Nelson Cruz (Texas) and Everth Cabrera (San Diego).

Treadstone
05-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Yeah, the Rays are looking good right now and I've enjoyed the to-ing and fro-ing between them and the Red Sox the past few weeks. Think it'll remain close til the season's end!

I agree with you - can't see the Yankees doing much more the rest of this season - you were also right about Rodriguez:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23578738

211 games! Quiet disappointed to see one of our better players in Johnny Peralta also getting caught up in it and being handed a 50 game ban, along with Nelson Cruz (Texas) and Everth Cabrera (San Diego).

Can't really claim superiority on the A-Rod ban, apparently the evidence on him was far stronger than they had on Ryan Braun and he accepted a ban a couple of weeks ago for the rest of the 2013 season.
Big win in terms of money for Yanks : don't have to pay A-Rod $30m+ and doesn't go against them as they try to bring down their payroll to get under luxury tax penalty.
Most of the banned are latinos, i think this is an issue MLB will find hard to control from that standpoint. Players take a chance to give themselves an edge to get to the bigs and make money, worth the risk for latinos as one contract gives them more money than they will ever see in their whole lives and will take that before any stigma.

Sylar
07-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Well, Dashing Bob is in Pirate heaven just now as they still sit atop the National League Central, half a game ahead of the Cardinals after securing their first winning year since 1993 :greengrin

Most of the divisions (with the exception of the NL Central and the AL West, where the Oakland A's lead Texas by half a game) are all but sealed with the Boston Red Sox surprising lots of people by storming towards what looks like a comfortable AL East pennant:

AL East

Red Sox --
Rays -7.5
Orioles -9.5
Yankees -10
Blue Jays -20

AL Central

Tigers --
Indians -6.5
Royals -9
Twins -20
White Sox -25.5

AL West

Athletics --
Rangers -0.5
Angels -14.5
Mariners -17
Astros -34

NL East

Braves --
Nationals -14
Phillies -21.5
Mets -21.5
Marlins -31.5

NL Central

Pirates --
Cardinals -0.5
Reds -2
Brewers -20
Cubs -20

NL West

Dodgers --
Diamondbacks -12
Rockies -18
Padres -20
Giants -20.5

Sylar
24-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Pirates in the postseason! I feel faint :greengrin

AL East

x - Boston --
Tampa Bay -7.5
NY Yankees -12.5
Baltimore -13.5
Toronto -23.5

AL Central

Detroit -- (need 1 more win)
Cleveland -4.5
Kansas City -7.5
Minnesota -24.5
Chicago WS -28.5

AL West

x - Oakland --
Texas -8.5
LA Angels -17.5
Seattle -26
Houston -43

NL East

x - Atlanta --
Washington -8.5
NY Mets -21
Philadelphia -21
Miami -34.5

NL Central

z - St Louis --
z - Cincinnati -2
z - Pittsburgh -2
Milwaukee -21.5
Chicago Cubs -27

NL West

x - LA Dodgers --
Arizona -11
San Diego -17
San Francisco -18
Colorado -19.5

x - won division, z - sealed playoff berth

Treadstone
25-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Pirates in the postseason! I feel faint :greengrin

At it stands they are now 2 behind the Cards and 1 in front of the Reds. Must stay at least there to get a home playoff game. Fri-Sun is Pirates at Reds a great finish to the season. Hope they get at least the one game wildcard playoff at home, their fans deserve it.

Haymaker
26-09-2013, 11:04 AM
No Yankees in the playoffs! Get in!

James.
26-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Does baseball have playoffs?? You know it's a tough time when the Islanders are your best hope of seeing some sort of post season play :greengrin

Been a bit of an up and down season for the Mets - our young rotation look like they will be amazing in the future but already we're seeing injuries creep in. Harvey could possibly miss all of next year with Tommy John surgery which would be an absolute travesty as he's the best pitcher we've had since Doc Gooden! Hopefully we can get some bats in the offseason as we've a bit to spend and maybe contend for a wildcard spot.

Treadstone
03-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Massive game about to start. Pirates v Cardinals. St Louis heavily favoured for this series but if the buckos can take this one behind AJ Burnett they will fancy their chances. Burnett a bit flakey on the road but not much choice for the Pirates as Liriano was needed for the wildcard playoff.

Haymaker
09-10-2013, 03:35 PM
RED SOX! Looking forward to the next game.

marinello59
09-10-2013, 04:38 PM

I may have ruined their chances by sticking £20 on them to win the World Series. Sorry. :greengrin

Haymaker
09-10-2013, 04:39 PM
I may have ruined their chances by sticking £20 on them to win the World Series. Sorry. :greengrin

Thanks mate.

Sylar
11-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Are you? Tigers make the ALCS again :thumbsup:

Tigers/Red Sox vs Dodgers/Cardinals in the WS!

Haymaker
11-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Are you? Tigers make the ALCS again :thumbsup:

Tigers/Red Sox vs Dodgers/Cardinals in the WS!

Yep, it is the time of year I get excited about baseball. We'll take the Tigers down, on our way to a WS.

Sylar
11-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Yep, it is the time of year I get excited about baseball. We'll take the Tigers down, on our way to a WS.

It'll be a good series between 2 of the best teams in the AL this year. The Tigers have explosive power in their bats and a decent rotation whereas the Red Sox have a good consistency.

I think it should go all the way at least :agree:

Treadstone
11-10-2013, 02:00 PM
It'll be a good series between 2 of the best teams in the AL this year. The Tigers have explosive power in their bats and a decent rotation whereas the Red Sox have a good consistency.

I think the Red Sox currently are far more explosive. The Tigers toiled for extra base hits vs the As primarily because of Cabreras' injury allowing them to get him out and pitch to Fielder. With Cabrera still likely less than 100% (Home Run last night was a pitch inside, Boston wont pitch him there) I think this needs to be a pitching series for Detroit to win. They have a distinct advantage here but not in the bullpen.

First two games in Boston and the match-ups look good for Detroit, disappointed if they don't at least split and must be a great chance of taking two.

Sylar
13-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Our 3rd pitcher, Sanchez, took a no-hitter into the 9th inning last night as we eventually got out of there with a 1-0 win :thumbsup:

With Scherzer pitching in game 2, I'm confident we'll leave Boston with a 2-0 series lead.

Treadstone
14-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Massive game for Dodgers tonight but up against Adam Wainwright, a real gamer and a true ace. If the blue crew can get the win they can run Nolasco out for game 4 and take their chances with Grienke and Kershaw in 5 & 6. LA needs Ramirez and Ethier back though especially the former.

Haymaker
20-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Redsox! Redsox!

Sylar
21-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Redsox! Redsox!

Hoping they manage to do it - fed up watching the dirty birds of St Louis win the World Series, usually against the bloody Tigers :greengrin

Most of the family support Boston and I'm a huge fan of their minor league affiliate so go Sox I guess (bleugh).

Treadstone
23-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Cardinals in six.

Haymaker
24-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Cardinals in six.

No chance! Red Sox!

Sylar
24-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Pretty straight-forward win in game 1 - Cardinals were all over the place!

8-1 Boston (1-0).

Treadstone
24-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Pretty straight-forward win in game 1 - Cardinals were all over the place!

8-1 Boston (1-0).

Kozma in the line up for his glove was awful, botched a critical 4-6-3 double play. Very un-Cardinal like. Beltran left with a bruised rib and that must affect him for tonight. What goes around comes around after Joe Kelly drilled Hanley Ramirez in NLCS.

Sylar
24-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Kozma in the line up for his glove was awful, botched a critical 4-6-3 double play. Very un-Cardinal like. Beltran left with a bruised rib and that must affect him for tonight. What goes around comes around after Joe Kelly drilled Hanley Ramirez in NLCS.

Defined the game and they never really recovered from it :agree:.

Be interesting to see tonight's match-up and St Louis must like their chances of rebounding with Wacha on the mound - he's been superb this season.

Treadstone
24-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Defined the game and they never really recovered from it :agree:.

Be interesting to see tonight's match-up and St Louis must like their chances of rebounding with Wacha on the mound - he's been superb this season.

Must win for St Louis, can't see them winning 4 of 5 if they don't get the win tonight.

NOLA
27-10-2013, 08:30 PM
whats with the red sox beards? like watching duck dynasty :greengrin

Haymaker
27-10-2013, 11:28 PM
whats with the red sox beards? like watching duck dynasty :greengrin

#getbeard for charity I think. No shaving until the end iirc.

Haymaker
29-10-2013, 11:48 AM
3-2 Boston... Game 6 at home...

marinello59
31-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Looking good for the Red Sox so far, 0-4 lead.

Haymaker
31-10-2013, 10:21 AM
RED SOX! World Champions! They put a smile on my face after bloody Hibs.

marinello59
31-10-2013, 10:40 AM

I had them at 11-2 to win the series so they put a huge grin on my face.

Haymaker
31-10-2013, 01:15 PM
I had them at 11-2 to win the series so they put a huge grin on my face.

Nice!

Dirkster23
31-10-2013, 07:20 PM

Me Too :thumbsup:Nice to see one of my teams not letting me down!

Sylar
21-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Prince Fielder leaves Detroit to go to Texas in a trade for Ian Kinsler...

Seems an odd trade on the face of it but it frees up a lot of salary room to try and keep Scherzer, who's approaching Free Agency and keep both Cabrera and Verlander (who's salary is ridiculous).

Seems a bit odd to toss away one of our power hitters mind you but he certainly cooled off a little at the end of the season and the post-season. Wonder if we might now make a move for one of the many impressive free agents available right now.

Sylar
22-11-2013, 07:17 PM
My best man from my wedding is from Ohio and his other half's cousin is a pitcher in the Major Leagues and he has just joined the Boston Red Sox :greengrin

I'm already angling for a signed photo of the World Series winning team before it starts to break up!

Treadstone
24-11-2013, 02:40 PM
My best man from my wedding is from Ohio and his other half's cousin is a pitcher in the Major Leagues and he has just joined the Boston Red Sox :greengrin

I'm already angling for a signed photo of the World Series winning team before it starts to break up!

Probably broken up already after the arbitration rejections/hold outs. Stephen Drew looks almost certain to be elsewhere as he is the premier(!) shortstop on the market. Don't think his sac fly in the World Series will have the front office sweating to make a deal.

DarrenSQH
31-03-2014, 10:24 PM
MLB is back for the new season.

Love watching but don't really have a team as there's not one in New Orleans.

Soft spot for the Cubs due to knowing how they feel although they already lost today

Haymaker
31-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Opening day defeat for the World Champions! Still, good game!

Sylar
01-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Tigers get off to a winning start in Motown, with a 4-3 win over Kansas City :thumbsup:

Also watched the Baltimore vs Boston game last night and it was a good game - Lester unfortunate to give up such a poor pitch to Cruz after 7 solid innings but Cruz being in my fantasy team, I was quite happy :greengrin

It's great to have baseball back!

Sylar
02-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Jeter's retirement tour starts off with a loss down in Houston, the Dodgers march on to 3-1 and Seattle/Miami both improve to 2-0.

None of the games were early last night, so highlights this morning it was - Tigers vs Royals at 6pm tonight though, followed by Cleveland vs Oakland.

heretoday
03-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Tigers get off to a winning start in Motown, with a 4-3 win over Kansas City :thumbsup:

Also watched the Baltimore vs Boston game last night and it was a good game - Lester unfortunate to give up such a poor pitch to Cruz after 7 solid innings but Cruz being in my fantasy team, I was quite happy :greengrin

It's great to have baseball back!

I used to love it on Channels 4 and 5 but have totally lost touch with it since. Amazed Jeter is retiring. I must be getting old!

Sylar
04-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I used to love it on Channels 4 and 5 but have totally lost touch with it since. Amazed Jeter is retiring. I must be getting old!

I'm not even sure where shows it on mainstream TV these days in the UK? ESPN or BT Sport maybe.

I've always watched on MLB.tv and after getting an Apple TV as a wedding gift, it means I can now watch MLB.tv on my actual TV, which is good!

I got back into properly before spring training as I now play for one of the teams in the British Baseball league, which has brought a whole new love for the game :greengrin

Caught 2 games last night - St Louis beat Cincinnati 7-6 in what was a great game and Boston beat Baltimore 4-3, which was also a great game (right to the wire).

heretoday
04-04-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm not even sure where shows it on mainstream TV these days in the UK? ESPN or BT Sport maybe.

I've always watched on MLB.tv and after getting an Apple TV as a wedding gift, it means I can now watch MLB.tv on my actual TV, which is good!

I got back into properly before spring training as I now play for one of the teams in the British Baseball league, which has brought a whole new love for the game :greengrin

Caught 2 games last night - St Louis beat Cincinnati 7-6 in what was a great game and Boston beat Baltimore 4-3, which was also a great game (right to the wire).

I'm watching Brewers/Red Sox on the PC! Good picture too. Never been able to access baseball before on it.

Don't tell MLB or the CIA will be coming round!

heretoday
24-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I saw the Cubbies blow a 5-2 lead in the last inning to Arizona at Wrigley Field last night. They were all wearing daft uniforms to commemorate something or other.

The Cubs seem to be Hibs in a baseball sense. Certainly the fans looked as pissed off as ER fans usually are these days!

hibsbollah
25-04-2014, 06:02 AM
I saw the Cubbies blow a 5-2 lead in the last inning to Arizona at Wrigley Field last night. They were all wearing daft uniforms to commemorate something or other.

The Cubs seem to be Hibs in a baseball sense. Certainly the fans looked as pissed off as ER fans usually are these days!

:agree: Cubs' curse make the Hibs scottish cup drought seem a minor blip.

Sylar
25-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Yankees pitcher Pineda has been banned for 10 games after being found with pine tar on his neck at Fenway the other night against the Red Sox.

I find this a very odd rule as I can't understand why the league are against pitchers having a better grip on the ball. It doesn't alter the integrity of the pitch and it doesn't impact the flight (I tried it with on of my BBF teammates the other week and all it does is give you a better feel on the ball).

I mean, the rosin bags are designed to improve your grip so I don't see the evils of pine tar.

NYHibby
26-04-2014, 10:11 AM
:agree: Cubs' curse make the Hibs scottish cup drought seem a minor blip.

? The Cubs have won the World Series twice since we last won the cup.

Sylar
12-05-2014, 07:18 AM

They haven't even been close since though! They last won the NL Pennant in the 40s! At least we've reached a few Scottish Cup finals since our last win :greengrin They don't look like rectifying that this season either as they're honking!

As everyone predicted, the AL East is the league to watch this year - everything is pretty close, with even 5th placed Tampa Bay only 5.5 games out. Good day for Boston yesterday as the Yankees and Orioles both lost. The NL East has also been a good one to watch as everyone is still in touching distance.

I've gained a whole new love of the sport this year by playing it - it's certainly not as easy as it looks and is great fun! There are teams all over the place (including 3 in Edinburgh now I think) so if you're a fan of the sport and have never played it, get in touch and give it a go! The British Baseball Federation leagues are really on the rise and has become an excellent setup.

hibsbollah
13-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Its the spectacular nature of the Cubbies *****yness that takes the breath away as much as the length of time involved. Damn that goat :grr:

Haymaker
13-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Its the spectacular nature of the Cubbies *****yness that takes the breath away as much as the length of time involved. Damn that goat :grr:

Arent you winning it next season? :greengrin

Sylar
13-05-2014, 06:31 PM

They've been slated after their road trip to Atlanta toward the tail end of last week for their total lack of offense and how poor they looked at the plate. How did they respond last night? By putting up 17 runs on the road to St Louis :greengrin

hibsbollah
13-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Arent you winning it next season? :greengrin

:greengrin
Haha so you know about that! Yep, 2015 is the chinese year of the goat, so if its anything like 2003 we'll be in another last inning heartbreaker for the pennant.

Here's the Bartman incident where the young fan broke up a certain catch with us winning 3-0 with an out in the eighth, we went on to implode. I wonder if that kid grew up with a complex.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lad4_T0C68o

NYHibby
03-10-2014, 08:58 PM
How bout dem O's!

NYHibby
07-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Will Radio 5 Live Extra be broadcasting any of the LCSs or the World Series?

heretoday
16-10-2014, 10:48 AM
The best stream for the baseball is Wiznet. Crystal clear.

heretoday
29-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Game 7 and the World Series decider tonight. The post-season just goes to show the best teams don't always win the big prize.

James.
29-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Usually root for the NL team but with Kansas City being almost as bad as my Mets the past 20 years it would be great to see them win.

DarrenSQH
30-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Another world series for the Giants.

Sylar
30-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Despite being our divisional rivals, I would have quite liked to have seen the Royals lifting it but alas, the Giants were just too good.

3 wins in 5 years = dynasty!

heretoday
01-11-2014, 03:52 PM
It's good that the Yankees don't have such a stranglehold any more.

Baseball spreads the prizes around. That's healthy.

Haymaker
09-03-2015, 11:57 PM
So baseball is nearly upon us yet again.

Cubs are obviously going to win it this year (:greengrin) but any other predictions?

Sylar
10-03-2015, 05:29 PM
If Hibs find a way to win the Scottish Cup this year, I'll consider sticking a £10 on the Cubs to win the World Series :greengrin

I've been hooked on Spring Training for the past week already - great to have baseball back (as it also means we've started our own Spring Training here in the UK Leagues).

I'm not sure who I fancy this year - the Dodgers have spent a lot and traded reasonably well, as have the Red Sox, though their rotation lacks a true ace - having said that, a corps of reliable pitchers is worth considerably more than one recognised stud and lesser pitchers in the lower depths...Buccholz, Kelly, Porcello and Miley are all good, reliable pitchers and I'm looking forward to seeing what Porcello will do in a hitter-friendly ballpark (as he's been aided by the size of Commerica, which isn't a hit-friendly park). Acquiring Ramirez and Sandoval should certainly add a good degree of depth to their batting.

Haymaker
10-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Definitely throwing a £10 on the cubs.

heretoday
11-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Maybe Indians this year?

Sylar
22-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Spring training has been excellent so far but today has a special feel to it...because it's OUR first day of Spring Training in the British Baseball Federation and after a winter of working out, the smell of pine, leather and fresh cut grass beckons!

Looking forward to our first game since September this afternoon and a wee road trip into London isn't a bad way to get your season underway :greengrin

heretoday
22-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Maybe Indians this year?

Maybe not on second thoughts ......

Sylar
23-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Tigers and Royals looking good early - it was snowing in Detroit last night!!

AL East looking very competitive so far too and not much between the teams early on - Red Sox leading the way but the Rays are only 2 games back at the bottom of the division.

It must suck to be a Marlins or Brewers fan so far this season...

James.
23-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Well the Mets have won 11, yes 11!!, games in a row to improve to an impressive 13-3!

We have just swept division foes Miami, Philadelphia and Atlanta one after the other! Bring on the Yankees this weekend, who have to face Matt Harvey and Jacob DeGrom :greengrin

This has all been managed without David Wright - our lynchpin! The pitching has been amazin'

Between this and the Islanders in the Stanley Cup playoffs it's fair to say I am chuffed!

Sylar
24-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Well the Mets have won 11, yes 11!!, games in a row to improve to an impressive 13-3!

We have just swept division foes Miami, Philadelphia and Atlanta one after the other! Bring on the Yankees this weekend, who have to face Matt Harvey and Jacob DeGrom :greengrin

This has all been managed without David Wright - our lynchpin! The pitching has been amazin'

Between this and the Islanders in the Stanley Cup playoffs it's fair to say I am chuffed!

I thought of you when I watched the highlights of the Braves game earlier this morning - was surprised to see you sitting at 13-3 and didn't realise you had been going so well.

About time you had some of your sporting teams bringing you joy :greengrin

HibernianJK
27-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Surely the Mets can't keep it up though.....

As a Reds fan a very frustrating started to the season after starting 4-0 we've dropped some bad games due to a horrible bullpen and a really poor manager. Hopefull with Wainwright going down it will bring the Cardinals back to the rest of the pack but its going to be a close division.

hibsbollah
17-05-2015, 12:04 PM
Big Jon Lester getting better all the time, Cubs win sixth straight, first time we've been 6 games above.500 for six years.

Its this year :agree:

James.
26-05-2015, 02:51 PM
56 years ago today Harvey Haddix of the Pirates pitched an incredible twelve perfect innings against the Braves. It is considered by many to be greatest pitching performance in MLB history, considering how good Milwaukee were at the time.

Incidentally The Bucs went on to lose the game 1-0 in the 13th inning due to a fielding error :rolleyes:

Haymaker
16-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Tut tut the Cardinals...

hibsbollah
27-08-2015, 06:25 PM
What about those Cubs... the end of the curse in the Year of the Goat is on

James.
27-08-2015, 07:09 PM
What about those Cubs... the end of the curse in the Year of the Goat is on

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's the Mets' year! We have been on fire of late!

Pete
12-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Bartolo Colon is the man!

However, the blue jays are the team to beat and the bookies seem to agree.

James.
12-09-2015, 01:05 PM
The 5 National League playoff teams looks pretty much set. Only the Central teams to sort themselves out really. Host of teams still in with a shout in the American League.

hibsbollah
20-09-2015, 10:09 AM
The 5 National League playoff teams looks pretty much set. Only the Central teams to sort themselves out really. Host of teams still in with a shout in the American League.

ive loved the baseball this season, worth the bt sport subscription on its own:thumbsup:

The top three teams in the league are all in the National Central, St Louis dirty birds with a four game lead over the Pirates and five over the surging Cubs, who have just won five straight over the teams above them, three wins over the Pirates and the last two against St Louis. Game three is tonight. The Cubs are the hottest team in the league without a doubt, with three rookies probably our best offensive players, Kris Bryant has just set a rookie home run record and looks like being a great already. Two top pitchers in Arrieta and John Lester. With two weeks of the regular season left the main worry is that the Loveable Losers have peaked too early.

lots of big city teams with massive fan bases (Yankees, Mets, Dodgers) seemingly heading to the playoffs which adds to the whole buzz.

October is going to be fun.

James.
26-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Cubs and Bucs both playoff bound. The Mets can clinch the NL East today. Had a rocky week losing our series against the Braves however the Orioles have helped us big time beating down the Nationals.

hibsbollah
30-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Big doubleheader between Cardinals and Pirates just started for the last undecided division in the national league. second game on bt sport later. Wasn't someone on here a Pittsburgh fan?:confused:

Sylar
30-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Both of my teams have been utterly, utterly awful this season!

Here's to 2016 :greengrin

At least my own team made it to the 2015 British Baseball Federation Final this year and we have our prizegiving ceremony on Saturday!

hibsbollah
30-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Both of my teams have been utterly, utterly awful this season!

Here's to 2016 :greengrin

At least my own team made it to the 2015 British Baseball Federation Final this year and we have our prizegiving ceremony on Saturday!

Follow the cubbies for the playoffs then!

Sylar
01-10-2015, 08:17 AM
Follow the cubbies for the playoffs then!

I'm just going to enjoy the spectacle as a neutral!

It would be nice if their duck finally broke though - would maybe give me hope that a Scottish Cup win might be possible in my lifetime :greengrin

heretoday
01-10-2015, 06:40 PM
I gather Cubs are going for the wild card and trying to get home advantage in that game. They are leading Reds 5-0 at the moment.

i am an Indians fan since their 1980s big years but have not connected with baseball for a while.

heretoday
01-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Reds seem to be fighting back.

hibsbollah
03-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Reds seem to be fighting back.

Could really do with you guys doing us a favour and winning the final two games!

edit...Just one more please Reds!

Amazing 5 run 9th from the Angels last night,still in the mix.

hibsbollah
06-10-2015, 04:08 PM
the dude with the beard vs Tanaka should be good in the AL wild card tonight, I fancy the Yankees but I won't be staying up for it, I'm saving myself for The Cubs at Pittsburgh tomorrow. Anyone else watching?

Treadstone
06-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Can't wait for Dodgers Mets division series. National league pitching looks far superior to anything the AL can muster so hopefully NLDS and NLCS are favourable times for UK watchers.

Sylar
06-10-2015, 07:32 PM
the dude with the beard vs Tanaka should be good in the AL wild card tonight, I fancy the Yankees but I won't be staying up for it, I'm saving myself for The Cubs at Pittsburgh tomorrow. Anyone else watching?

Avoiding it tonight, watching it 'as live' tomorrow morning :)

James.
06-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Have to feel sorry for the Pirates - great season rewarded with a game against Jake Arrietta - that guy is untouchable.

Not sure what to think of our season finish, played it safe with our pitchers but Cespedes' form the past few weeks has been troubling. Happy to be in playoffs though. As a Jet, Met and Islander fan this doesn't happen too often :aok:

hibsbollah
07-10-2015, 09:58 PM
Have to feel sorry for the Pirates - great season rewarded with a game against Jake Arrietta - that guy is untouchable.

Not sure what to think of our season finish, played it safe with our pitchers but Cespedes' form the past few weeks has been troubling. Happy to be in playoffs though. As a Jet, Met and Islander fan this doesn't happen too often :aok:

:agree: I don't think anyone expected Arrieta to be where he is now, especially when we paid all that money for John Lester in the summer. The second half of the season especially he's been fantastic, as you say untouchable. I'm not getting carried away though, he has to prove he's a postseason player first.

poor old Yankees, 5 straight postseason losses :greengrin

Treadstone
08-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Arrieta first post season pitcher with double digit strikeouts and no walks in a shutout. That stat is unbelievable.
Cubs will only be able to run him out once against Cards. Wonder if Joe Maddon will put the eggs in Lester winning game one and Arrieta and Lester on full rest to clinch in four and five ?

hibsbollah
08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Arrieta first post season pitcher with double digit strikeouts and no walks in a shutout. That stat is unbelievable.
Cubs will only be able to run him out once against Cards. Wonder if Joe Maddon will put the eggs in Lester winning game one and Arrieta and Lester on full rest to clinch in four and five ?

id guess he'll want his top man back in the rotation as soon as possible, so he'll shuffle it so Arrieta comes back for game 3 at Wrigley Field. It'll go Arrieta, Lester for game 1, Hendricks game 2, Arrieta game 3, and Lester back again for game 4 or game 5 if needed. It really was tremendous last night. I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical stuff, but his slider looks exactly the same as his fastball so I have no idea how a batter can hope to track the balls flight at 90 mph. He plays for the Cubs though so I'm sure he'll find some way of ****ing up in the playoffs:agree:

Toronto and Texas next up.

heretoday
08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Cubbies!!!

hibsbollah
08-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Texas 4-1 up on Toronto in the 5th inning. Blue Jays pitcher Price looking like he's not handling the pressure.

James.
08-10-2015, 10:26 PM
This is what I love about baseball - anyone can win it when we get to the playoffs. A few injury concerns already for the Blue Jays, Bautista has left the game.

hibsbollah
08-10-2015, 10:34 PM
5-3 Texas game 1. Not much excitement really, Beltres injury looked a sore one.

James.
09-10-2015, 06:59 AM
Astros take game one against the Royals

hibsbollah
09-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Wall to wall baseball tonight. Texas and Toronto game 2 tied at 4 each into the 8th inning. Astros and Royals start shortly, then its the Cubs Dirty Birds game 1 at 11:45 and Mets Dodgers at stupid oclock our time.

Wishing I had controlled over the remote :grr:

Pete
10-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Heartache for the Blue Jays as they lose in the fourteenth and a big eighth inning finishes off the Cubs. Shame as I'm kind of warming to them as newcomer to the sport...they remind me of a football team I like.

No TV so it's text updates for the Dodgers Mets game.

hibsbollah
10-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Lester pitched well but the result was never really in doubtful once they started getting after the relief pitcher.

James.
10-10-2015, 08:47 AM
DeGrom struck out 13 in his first ever playoff performance. Equaled Tom Seaver's club record. Next up Syndergaard V Grienke!

heretoday
10-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Cubs are teeing off on the Cards. 5-1 in the second.

hibsbollah
11-10-2015, 06:31 AM
So it's all tied at 1-1 in both NLDS.On Monday Game 3 moves to Wrigley and Jake Arrieta returns. Texas leading Toronto 2-0 and Houston and Kansas City at 1-1 in the ALDS, which continue tonight.

James.
11-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Chase Utley = absolute cretin. Pulled this type of stuff all the time on us when he was at Philly. Tejada now out for the postseason with a leg break. Expecting a bit of retribution at CitiField on Monday if he isn't suspended.

Sylar
11-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Chase Utley = absolute cretin. Pulled this type of stuff all the time on us when he was at Philly. Tejada now out for the postseason with a leg break. Expecting a bit of retribution at CitiField on Monday if he isn't suspended.

Couldn't agree more. He started his slide AT the bag (not before, which is fine) and he was well clear of the bag (to the side) with no effort to touch it, making it obvious he was going out of his way to hit Tejada.

Like you, I'd expect some retribution on Monday probably with his first AB and it'll be a fastball = benches cleared.

Treadstone
11-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Couldn't agree more. He started his slide AT the bag (not before, which is fine) and he was well clear of the bag (to the side) with no effort to touch it, making it obvious he was going out of his way to hit Tejada.

Like you, I'd expect some retribution on Monday probably with his first AB and it'll be a fastball = benches cleared.

Depends on game situation. Doubt the Mets would hit him if there were base runners. Utley hasn't been in starting line-up in first two games so doubt Mattingly would introduce him in a scenario where it's a no brainer for Mets to drill him. Gonzalez on other hand might get a bit nervous in 1st inning if two out and nobody on.

The neighbourhood law has to go. Gives a license for this type of play. Seriously outdated.

hibsbollah
11-10-2015, 04:57 PM

I've just watched it, a definite sore one.

Sylar
12-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Depends on game situation. Doubt the Mets would hit him if there were base runners. Utley hasn't been in starting line-up in first two games so doubt Mattingly would introduce him in a scenario where it's a no brainer for Mets to drill him. Gonzalez on other hand might get a bit nervous in 1st inning if two out and nobody on.

The neighbourhood law has to go. Gives a license for this type of play. Seriously outdated.

Undoubtedly but if the opportunity arises, I've little doubt they'll go after him. If he arrives at the plate with no runners on he'll know what's coming. It's certainly picked the game I'm going to watch this evening anyway as it should be a tasty encounter :agree:

James.
12-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Utley suspended games 3 & 4 barring an appeal. I think the MLB are doing him a favour here as he'd be in for a hell of a time at Citi this week. Still doesn't take away from the fact that we possibly could have won that game if it had been a double play and we've lost our best defensive short stop.

Winning now becomes the best revenge - Harvey & Matz should get the job done.

hibsbollah
13-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Must have been a great night in Wrigley. 6 home runs, a chance to clinch it at home next, and everyone seemed to be holding a beer judging by the pictures!

Sylar
13-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Must have been a great night in Wrigley. 6 home runs, a chance to clinch it at home next, and everyone seemed to be holding a beer judging by the pictures!

I elected to watch the Mets vs Dodgers game this morning as I anticipated it being a tasty encounter. Currently working my way through the condensed game footage of the other games on MLB.tv and Cubbies are up next. Currently top 3 in the Jays vs Rangers game and Toronto are on fire!

James.
13-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Pretty dominant game from my Metsies. Managed to stay up for the whole thing. It might just be in my Hibs/Mets/Jets DNA but I still wasn't feeling confident right up until Familia's last out. For all the talk of what we would do in retribution for Game 2, I think that was the perfect revenge :aok:

hibsbollah
13-10-2015, 12:21 PM
I elected to watch the Mets vs Dodgers game this morning as I anticipated it being a tasty encounter. Currently working my way through the condensed game footage of the other games on MLB.tv and Cubbies are up next. Currently top 3 in the Jays vs Rangers game and Toronto are on fire!

I hope my post wasn't a spoiler for you then! It's been a fantastic end to the season and I'm watching more baseball than I ever have before...Unfortunately I've got too much work to do to watch everything, so many great matchups already.

hibsbollah
13-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Just about to do it...

Win! Cubs move on.

Haymaker
13-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Just about to do it...

Win! Cubs move on.

Back to the future is coming true!!!!

DarrenSQH
14-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Would love to see the Cubs win this year.

Treadstone
14-10-2015, 10:34 PM
If the Blue Jays lose this on that E2. Wow.

James.
16-10-2015, 05:08 AM
Bring on the Cubs!

Sylar
16-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Great game last night - was pleased to see Utley contribute nothing after his introduction and well done to the Mets for not succumbing to what must have been a burning desire to bean him!

Jays/Royals vs Cubs/Mets

I fancy a Royals vs Cubs WS personally. Been some outstanding baseball played this off-season.

Treadstone
16-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Great game last night - was pleased to see Utley contribute nothing after his introduction and well done to the Mets for not succumbing to what must have been a burning desire to bean him

Don't think there was ever much chance of hitting a guy entering the game in the 9th of an elimination game with a one run lead.

Treadstone
16-10-2015, 10:16 AM
That Mets rotation though!

Sylar
16-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Don't think there was ever much chance of hitting a guy entering the game in the 9th of an elimination game with a one run lead.

Yeah, I would have been very surprised - I couldn't help but wonder if that's why the Dodgers threw him in there, in the hope that they might go after him.

hibsbollah
16-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Great game last night - was pleased to see Utley contribute nothing after his introduction and well done to the Mets for not succumbing to what must have been a burning desire to bean him!

Jays/Royals vs Cubs/Mets

I fancy a Royals vs Cubs WS personally. Been some outstanding baseball played this off-season.

:agree: Its been unbelievably good. Im still waiting for the Cubs to find a way to **** it all up. If they do actually do it in the Chinese Year of the Goat, after all the superstitious brouhaha over the last 70 years, it will just be ridiculous. I havnt watched the Mets all that much but they look very good.

Treadstone
16-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I would have been very surprised - I couldn't help but wonder if that's why the Dodgers threw him in there, in the hope that they might go after him.

Undoubtedly!

hibsbollah
19-10-2015, 05:12 AM
Mets go to 2-0, Arrieta loses.

Treadstone
19-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Thought the Mets would take a bit of stopping if they could get by the Dodgers.

Sylar
19-10-2015, 01:01 PM
They've looked good for their 2 wins today - pretty imperious pitching last night and some outstanding fielding to help him out (that catch from Granderson at the wall!).

I'd fancy the Cubs to take at least one of the games at Wrigley so despite having a good early lead, I reckon Chicago will take it the distance.

Treadstone
19-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I'd fancy the Cubs to take at least one of the games at Wrigley so despite having a good early lead, I reckon Chicago will take it the distance.

I'd be surprised if it comes back to New York. deGrom and Matz in the next two and Harvey for game five. Lester and Arrieta likely on short rest for games four and five, really feel they needed to take one in NY.

Pete
20-10-2015, 04:53 AM
Watched the Royals v Blue jays match and even though they were seven runs behind at the top of the ninth, I had a feeling that the Royals could still do it and there were some nervous moments.

My uneducated guess is that the Royals will prevail. Saying that, I was sure Texas would prevail after game two against the Blue jays so **** knows.

hibsbollah
21-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Looks like a great season for the Cubs is coming to an end. 0-3 Mets now.

Sylar
21-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Looks like a great season for the Cubs is coming to an end. 0-3 Mets now.

Back to the Future lied, though recall Boston were 0-3 down against the Yankees in 2004...

Even if they don't succeed this year, it's a superb young roster they have and they're going to be more than capable of contending again next season I'd reckon.

James.
21-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Strange few innings with the strikeout, Duda's bunt and the ball in the ivy however I'll take any win at this stage. Very, very surreal feeling to be on the cusp of the World Series. Still can't quite believe it and still expect us to somehow blow this!

Its the Mets after all!

Haymaker
21-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Come on the Cubbies!

Treadstone
22-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Mets score four in the first. Cubs have five in the whole series. Two crushing home runs back to back. Fundamentally the Mets are on a different planet to the Cubs.

Sylar
22-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Mets sweep their way into the WS - I'd fancy them more than capable of coping with either Toronto or Kansas City too, particularly given their rotation. They've looked imperious during this post-season.

James.
22-10-2015, 07:04 AM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

hibsbollah
22-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Well done Mets. Hope they go on to win it all now.

James.
22-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Well done Mets. Hope they go on to win it all now.

That's what I like about baseball, there's still a bit of pride in your league winning! Especially when it's the proper, real league and not that pale imitation with designated hitters.

Haymaker
23-10-2015, 12:37 AM
That's what I like about baseball, there's still a bit of pride in your league winning! Especially when it's the proper, real league and not that pale imitation with designated hitters.

Got to support the Mets now.

Sylar
23-10-2015, 07:59 AM

I've little love for either Kansas City or Toronto so even I'd like to see the Mets winning it this year. Particularly since Curtis Granderson is in their roster and I've liked him since his time in D-town.

It would also be a great team response to losing Tejada!

Treadstone
23-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Seen this at the end of Baseball Tonight just now, quite entertaining.

heretoday
23-10-2015, 07:44 PM

Controversial! Certainly, there's nothing to match some old stager like Bartolo Colon having to step up to the plate.

hibsbollah
23-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Controversial! Certainly, there's nothing to match some old stager like Bartolo Colon having to step up to the plate.

If a pitcher is too lazy to pick up a bat, he shouldn't be playing at all :grr: :greengrin

Pete
24-10-2015, 02:51 AM
Royals almost over the line. Bautista ties the game as I type.

FFS.

Pete
24-10-2015, 04:36 AM
Blue Jays had someone at third with nobody out yet fail to score. :confused:

Fantastic, tense game and glad I stayed up for it.

Mets v Royals it is. Let's go Royals. :greengrin

hibsbollah
28-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Just watched game one. For such an epic encounter over 14 innings it felt a bit flat, as soon as it went to extra innings there only looked like one winner and it wasn't going to be the Mets. Colon is a very cool dude, 42 years old and looks less of an athlete than any professional sportsman I've ever seen. Shame he couldn't close it out.

Treadstone
28-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Just watched first half inning Cueto got the high and the low strike called. Could be a long night for the hitters.

hibsbollah
29-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Just watched first half inning Cueto got the high and the low strike called. Could be a long night for the hitters.

I thought some of the strike zone calls were very dubious, both in favour of and against the hitters.

Treadstone
29-10-2015, 07:09 AM
I thought some of the strike zone calls were very dubious, both in favour of and against the hitters.

No strike zone on the broadcast either. Poor fair from MLB and TBS (I think).

Treadstone
30-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Oh man! Thor sends a message on the first pitch up and in. Ks Escobar on a 99mph heater. This could get tasty, Ventura a hothead.

DH1875
01-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Normally find live baseball as boring as muck. Tonight's game has flew in so far though. Can't believe we are already at the bottom of the 5th. Looking good for the Mets :aok:.

Pete
01-11-2015, 01:58 AM
Going pear shaped for the mets.

DH1875
01-11-2015, 02:11 AM
Going pear shaped for the mets.

Yeah, don't know what's happened. They were on easy street when I last posted. KC catcher just took a sore one.

Pete
01-11-2015, 02:25 AM
Yeah, don't know what's happened. They were on easy street when I last posted. KC catcher just took a sore one.

Nightmare eighth...but a big out there. Now two out!

Crowd silenced but a you can sense there's more to come.

Pete
01-11-2015, 02:51 AM
And it's 3-1. Harsh.

Two big turning points involving Colon and Murphy.

James.
02-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Well done to the Royals. If it wasn't for the silly errors we would be world champs but that's the beauty of baseball I guess. Delighted we even made the playoffs never mind the World Series. If we can get some hitting in for next year then I think we'll be legitimate contenders next year. :agree:

Treadstone
02-12-2015, 07:33 AM
Red Sox blink first in the off season pitching stakes. Overpay for David Price. $217 over seven years.

Sylar
02-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Red Sox blink first in the off season pitching stakes. Overpay for David Price. $217 over seven years.

I think he's a good acquisition to what was a poor rotation last season but the price tag is certainly mind-boggling...more than Kershaw?! He's good, he's consistent and he has some excellent pitches but it's a massive price tag. I get that he just had his best season in terms of numbers but on the wrong side of 30, it's a lot of money! Their rotation is probably something akin to:

Price; Buccholz; Porcello; Miley; Kelly/Rodriguez (with one of them becoming a damned good relief option).

Having said that, Dombrowski always had a reputation for spending silly money when he was in charge in Detroit so it doesn't shock me too much that they've paid over and above. The Tigers landing Zimmerman was a good acquisition, particularly given the level of pitching they've dismantled over the past few years in losing Scherzer, Price and Porcello.

Treadstone
02-12-2015, 02:36 PM
I think he's a good acquisition to what was a poor rotation last season but the price tag is certainly mind-boggling...more than Kershaw?! He's good, he's consistent and he has some excellent pitches but it's a massive price tag. I get that he just had his best season in terms of numbers but on the wrong side of 30, it's a lot of money! Their rotation is probably something akin to:

Price; Buccholz; Porcello; Miley; Kelly/Rodriguez (with one of them becoming a damned good relief option).

Having said that, Dombrowski always had a reputation for spending silly money when he was in charge in Detroit so it doesn't shock me too much that they've paid over and above. The Tigers landing Zimmerman was a good acquisition, particularly given the level of pitching they've dismantled over the past few years in losing Scherzer, Price and Porcello.

At $30m a year I would have padded out the rotation a la Royals. They achieved with a strong bullpen and professional hitting supplementing a reasonable but not great rotation. Not much wiggle room left now for DD.
Love to be Grienkes agent right now.

Sylar
08-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Greinke ends up in Arizona - not really shocked after they lost out on Cueto.

I'm off to tour SafeCo field today - looking forward to ticking another stadium off my list :aok:

Sylar
17-12-2015, 08:06 PM
SafeCo field was pretty amazing, as was AT&T, which I toured this morning.

Incidentally, I toured it the same time Johnny Cueto was being introduced to the press and ended up meeting him and speaking to him for a few minutes, as he was waiting outside the press room (part of the tour).

VERY cool morning and I'd love to see a game in San Fran from one of their boxes. Wow.

Treadstone
17-12-2015, 09:30 PM
SafeCo field was pretty amazing, as was AT&T, which I toured this morning.

Incidentally, I toured it the same time Johnny Cueto was being introduced to the press and ended up meeting him and speaking to him for a few minutes, as he was waiting outside the press room (part of the tour).

VERY cool morning and I'd love to see a game in San Fran from one of their boxes. Wow.

How was his English ?

Sylar
18-12-2015, 12:52 AM
How was his English ?

Surprisingly non-existent! He managed a "thank you" when I congratulated him for his WS win but otherwise, he spoke to all of his minders etc in Spanish and Spanish only.

Didn't see his unveiling conference (well, I seen it on the screens but there was no audio), so I presume he did that in Spanish too?

Treadstone
18-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Surprisingly non-existent! He managed a "thank you" when I congratulated him for his WS win but otherwise, he spoke to all of his minders etc in Spanish and Spanish only.

Didn't see his unveiling conference (well, I seen it on the screens but there was no audio), so I presume he did that in Spanish too?

Used the Giants Spanish language broadcaster to interpret. Poor from a player in the US leagues for ten years.

James.
07-01-2016, 05:53 PM
My favourite player of all time, Mike Piazza, elected to the Hall of Fame last night along with Ken Griffey Jr. :aok: Looks certain to be enshrined with a Mets cap too!

Treadstone
08-01-2016, 12:17 PM
My favourite player of all time, Mike Piazza, elected to the Hall of Fame last night along with Ken Griffey Jr. :aok: Looks certain to be enshrined with a Mets cap too!

Junior in with the highest percentage ever. That swing then the stutter step to round the bases. Pretty.

James.
08-01-2016, 04:56 PM
The three guys who didn't vote for him should hang their heads in shame :agree:

heretoday
12-01-2016, 08:32 PM

Piazza had one of the great moustaches. Those were the days.

Sylar
22-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Pitchers and catchers have reported and the first games will have taken place in less than a week :thumbsup:

We also started our pre-season training yesterday so it definitely feels like baseball is back (the aches confirm that!).

Treadstone
23-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Pitchers and catchers have reported and the first games will have taken place in less than a week :thumbsup:

We also started our pre-season training yesterday so it definitely feels like baseball is back (the aches confirm that!).

Lester and Lackey ordering the fried chicken and beer as we speak.

Sylar
23-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Lester and Lackey ordering the fried chicken and beer as we speak.

Looks like Pablo Sandoval has been hitting the beer and fried chicken through the entire off-season!