PDA

View Full Version : When was Easter Road at its best?

Miguel
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
We have a shiny new stadium, but am I alone in feeling a part of me died when the old East was demolished? Easter Road was at its most atmospheric when we had the new Famous Five and away ends, but BEFORE we lost the East and old stand. Discuss.

frazeHFC
01-04-2013, 11:35 PM
The East stand has been rocking at some games this season like Celtic etc, some cracking atmospheres at ER.

hibee19
01-04-2013, 11:55 PM
It's the fans that make the atmosphere. Easter road is best when we have an honest winning side.

jgl07
02-04-2013, 12:38 AM
To be honest, the old Easter Road was a rubbish stadium and the old Est Stand was by far the worst part of it. The old Main Stand was a firetrap in the making. The two ends were a bad joke. The toilets were appalling. The who place was falling apart until the City Council and teh Taylor Report forced Tom Farmer to do something about it.

Those inside the East Terrace may have thought that the atmosphere was good but it rarely was apparent for those on the pitch and elsewhere.

The current stadium is far better and the noise from the East comes across really well.

Get at least 12,000-14,000 in every match and you will see some real atmosphere!

Jones28
02-04-2013, 01:12 AM
The best is yet to come :agree:

Brebners Bookie
02-04-2013, 02:58 AM
We have a shiny new stadium, but am I alone in feeling a part of me died when the old East was demolished? Easter Road was at its most atmospheric when we had the new Famous Five and away ends, but BEFORE we lost the East and old stand. Discuss.

Thats because in that period we had Sauzee, Latapy etc on the park to cheer about.
Once we get a good side together it will be even better than then.

Swedish hibee
02-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I was home for the Hearts game at ER in December and thought that the place was brilliant.
The old ground was completely falling apart, like how Tynie is now and it had to go as it had no place in modern day football.

It's upto the fans how the atmosphere is in the ground, so if your not happy which I'm guessing you are by making this thread- then do something about it.
Afterall a wise man once said "Be the change you want to see in the world".

Hail the Hibees :not worth

jdships
02-04-2013, 08:56 AM

IMO there has not been a REAL atmosphere at ER stadium since the 1960/70's :flag:

#FromTheCapital
02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
I used to have a season ticket in the old east terracing and my favourite memories are from this time and the atmosphere was great, however this also coincides with when we had a good team. I'm sure if we ever get a team like we did during the mowbray era again then the atmosphere will return, because lets face it we have been utter pish since the stand went up (and for a while before that too!)

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 08:58 AM

Yes.

Heisenberg
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
When we've been playing well in big games this season it's been a fantastic atmosphere, even against the likes of St Mirren and Dundee Utd it was decent. Seems to have gone downhill with the teams form though, which isn't a surprise.

Speedway
02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
ER is at it's best when it's population believe in the team.

Bill Milne
02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
It's a fine stadium now but I remember some brilliant atmospheres whe the Cave was rocking, especially the ECWC game against Spoting Lisbon when the Cave was closed early because there were so many people in and no-one else was in the ground!!

cwilliamson85
02-04-2013, 09:43 AM
The best game I have been to at ER was the AEK Athens game. I was sitting in the upper tier of the FF and the whole stadium was rocking that night.

Just imagine what a full ER now would sound like on a night like that.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2013, 10:07 AM
The night we beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1, that night in my opinion was the best atmosphere and Easter Road was in my opinion at its best. I have been in bigger crowds, but that was just the best for me.

Keith_M
02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Now

Cabbage East
02-04-2013, 10:57 AM

No. It hasn't been the same for me either.

scoopyboy
02-04-2013, 11:00 AM

IMO the old East was much better before it was halved and roofed.

Great atmosphere at the Sporting Lisbon, Besa and Hajduk Split games in the ECWC run in 72/73.

Can also recall great atmosphere against Leeds (penalties game as wasn't at the 4 steps game), Rangers in a Wednesday night Scottish Cup replay (which was the biggest crowd I have been in at ER) and numerous other Hearts, Rangers and Celtic games.

One of my favourites was against Hamburg in what IIRC was my first European game.

So what you refer to as the old East isn't the same as what I refer to as the old East.

IMO the East you refer to wasn't as good after it was seated, it was mental before that.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Great atmosphere at the Sporting Lisbon, Besa and Hajduk Split games in the ECWC run in 72/73.

Can also recall great atmosphere against Leeds (penalties game as wasn't at the 4 steps game), Rangers in a Wednesday night Scottish Cup replay (which was the biggest crowd I have been in at ER) and numerous other Hearts, Rangers and Celtic games.

One of my favourites was against Hamburg in what IIRC was my first European game.

So what you refer to as the old East isn't the same as what I refer to as the old East.

IMO the East you refer to wasn't as good after it was seated, it was mental before that.

:agree: I also remember those games you refer to, there was a real atmosphere in those days especially when we had the cave/shed behind the goal. Those who say they have always sung in the shed meaning the east stand should have been behind the goal in the 60s and 70s, that was miles better than anything I ever witnessed in the cut down east stand.

Keith_M
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Obviously this is never going to happen but I'd love to have the current stadium with one modification, that the East Stand was a standing terrace instead of seated. I'd maybe make the front of the South Stand terracing as well, so some of the away fans can also stand.

It would need to be less steep, to be safer for standing, but that would be my ideal stadium.

If I win the Euromillions, I'll buy Hibs and make that my first change :wink:

My second change would be to make the terracing £10 for adults and £5 for kids, for one season only, to prove once and for all whether low prices increase the size of the crowd.

PeeJay
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM

:top marksspot on ... I like the new stand I must admit, but it doesn't yet match the majestic East terracing we had back when the Leeds, Liverpool, Naples, Hamburg and all those other teams played here - to get that type of atmosphere back we need a good team on the park and management staff who know what they are doing - think we're going to have to wait a bit though...

clerriehibs
02-04-2013, 12:48 PM

maybe mental occasionally. From what i remember, it was at it's best/worst when the ugly sisters were allocated the top half. Most of the time, it was a wasteland.

If we ever get back to truly big euro nights - the new east will be hands down winner.

SlickShoes
02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I still think it's too big, if the capacity was a few thousand less it would help. The stadium is at it's best now though, we just need a halfway decent team on the pitch to actually get excited about.

southsider
02-04-2013, 01:43 PM
IMO there has not been a REAL atmosphere at ER stadium since the 1960/70's :flag:

I was in the old cave at 6pm for the Sporting Lisbon Cup winners cup tie. Thar part of the ground had full up signs at 6.30. The place rocked, really rocked that night. The noise was unbelievable and i am sure the crowd helped us to a magnificent win. My favourate European night.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I was in the old cave at 6pm for the Sporting Lisbon Cup winners cup tie. Thar part of the ground had full up signs at 6.30. The place rocked, really rocked that night. The noise was unbelievable and i am sure the crowd helped us to a magnificent win. My favourate European night.

:agree:

Ray_
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
The night we beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1, that night in my opinion was the best atmosphere and Easter Road was in my opinion at its best. I have been in bigger crowds, but that was just the best for me.

That's not you living in the past is it Gary :greengrin 1-1 at half time & shooting down hill towards the cave in the second half.

I thought the Hamburg game was magic as well, a very warranted great sense of injustice surrounding the place at the end. Joe Davies missing a pen that we were actually given, which he rarely done, he should have had at least three more to take & Eric Stevenson subjected to GBH, every time he had the ball. I've never seen such a one sided 2-1 win, anywhere, since then.

scoopyboy
02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
maybe mental occasionally. From what i remember, it was at it's best/worst when the ugly sisters were allocated the top half. Most of the time, it was a wasteland.

If we ever get back to truly big euro nights - the new east will be hands down winner.

Apologies ch, I was meaning after Waugh roofed it and before the benches were put in.

A couple of times in there I moved yards without my feet touching the ground when Hibs scored against Hearts.

Once we beat them 2-1 (May and Kane?) and another time 1-0 with a really early Eddie May goal(NY game).

heretoday
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
When I first watched Hibs the East Terrace used to go up to the sky and if you were standing at the top you'd be looking down on the main stand.

I dare say the new ground is better for safety etc but it's soulless to me - all concrete and plastic.

Best days were in the old North Stand enclosure when it was packed. You were within earshot of the Directors' Box and they got pelters at times!

There was some rare wit flying about and a lot of us were drunk to be honest.

Hibercelona
02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Get the corners filled in, that'll be the best time at ER. :wink:

heretoday
02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Get the corners filled in, that'll be the best time at ER. :wink:

Excellent idea. :agree:

iwasthere1972
02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Can I just say that Lothian Buses too have lost the atmosphere they used to have in the 60s/70's when I was a teenager. I remember back then you could smoke, drink and eat a fish supper on the buses while singing good old sectarian songs. You even had a chance of not paying the fare if the conductor didn't see you hiding at the back of the bus. Plus you could jump off the bus while it was still moving.

Ah the good old days eh

3pm
02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Can I just say that Lothian Buses too have lost the atmosphere they used to have in the 60s/70's when I was a teenager. I remember back then you could smoke, drink and eat a fish supper on the buses while singing good old sectarian songs. You even had a chance of not paying the fare if the conductor didn't see you hiding at the back of the bus. Plus you could jump off the bus while it was still moving.

Ah the good old days eh

I think you still get a decent 'atmosphere' on the number 3 to Mayfield.

Miguel
02-04-2013, 06:16 PM
The stadium had to be completed and you can't live in the past, but while it is impressive when there is a big crowd, it's a barn most Saturdays. Should have been built in round with smaller capacity. What they could try doing is managing its size.

LaMotta
02-04-2013, 06:26 PM
The stadium had to be completed and you can't live in the past, but while it is impressive when there is a big crowd, it's a barn most Saturdays. Should have been built in round with smaller capacity. What they could try doing is managing its size.

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Ah the good old days eh

I use the Lothian Buses Airlink 100 for all of my journeys to and from the city centre, a classy bus with none of the riff raff or shenanigans you mention. I have no wish to return to the good old days and would hate to share my bus with the dregs that inhabit other Lothian bus services. I class my bus as the West stand as opposed to the others being the East! :wink: :greengrin

heretoday
02-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I use the Lothian Buses Airlink 100 for all of my journeys to and from the city centre, a classy bus with none of the riff raff or shenanigans you mention. I have no wish to return to the good old days and would hate to share my bus with the dregs that inhabit other Lothian bus services. I class my bus as the West stand as opposed to the others being the East! :wink: :greengrin

Yes but what about the running commentary from Bill Torrance? "Please don't move about the bus while it is in motion....."

iwasthere1972
02-04-2013, 07:57 PM

You could use the number 35 service and treat the passengers to one of your prawn sandwiches from your Harrods picnic basket. Word of warning. ...most of them haven't seen bread.

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 08:05 PM
You could use the number 35 service and treat the passengers to one of your prawn sandwiches from your Harrods picnic basket. Word of warning. ...most of them haven't seen bread.

No I couldn't it doesn't stop at the Maybury :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Yes but what about the running commentary from Bill Torrance? "Please don't move about the bus while it is in motion....."

Haven't heard him in ages and I use it every day, just stop announcements these days.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I would compare the 33 bus to the asbestos stand at Tynie so its ironic that it actually goes along Gorgie too!

lord bunberry
02-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I hate buses

EastCalderHibby
02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Obviously this is never going to happen but I'd love to have the current stadium with one modification, that the East Stand was a standing terrace instead of seated. I'd maybe make the front of the South Stand terracing as well, so some of the away fans can also stand.

It would need to be less steep, to be safer for standing, but that would be my ideal stadium.

If I win the Euromillions, I'll buy Hibs and make that my first change :wink:

My second change would be to make the terracing £10 for adults and £5 for kids, for one season only, to prove once and for all whether low prices increase the size of the crowd.

But we don't sit in the east we all stand up well sect 43 anyway:flag::cb

OsloHibs
02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Do you still get the 32 bus that takes about 10 hrs around the whole of Edinburgh? Ahhhhh, memories of my teenage life on a cold winters night :angelic:

AberdreamHibee
02-04-2013, 08:27 PM
About 6-7 years ago when we played Rangers at ER it was a nighttime game and we beat them. It was the same time as when Paul Hartley was in the commentary box at ER and the announcer informed us all of it then proceeded to play Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes :not worth

Atmosphere was electric that night.

When Dnipro came to us for the first leg that was class too.

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
About 6-7 years ago when we played Rangers at ER it was a nighttime game and we beat them. It was the same time as when Paul Hartley was in the commentary box at ER and the announcer informed us all of it then proceeded to play Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes :not worth

Yes BUT which bus were you on :greengrin

FranckSuzy
02-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Do you still get the 32 bus that takes about 10 hrs around the whole of Edinburgh? Ahhhhh, memories of my teenage life on a cold winters night :angelic:

No sadly, you don't! The number 18 replaced part of the the journey and now goes between the new Royal Infirmary and The Gyle shopping centre. God knows which bus serves the other side of the town. The 32/52 route was a thing of beauty* :agree::greengrin

*except when you relied on it to get to work/college :rolleyes:

down-the-slope
02-04-2013, 09:10 PM

We regularly get this - since the East was demolished....

The Real Old East went years ago - the shed that replaced it was a tip and well past its sell by date.

Jonnyboy
02-04-2013, 09:10 PM

All of those games were fantastic J but my all time favourite evening kick off match was Hibs v Napoli. In the shed behind the goals as Hibs swept down the slope and swept the Italians aside. Unforgetable :thumbsup:

matty_f
02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I think the stadium is terrific now, and there have already been some special atmospheres in it. :agree:

clerriehibs
02-04-2013, 09:34 PM
All we ever need is something to cheer - our end at rugby park was really excellent the other week. If we filled 4 stands for a big euro tie and looked like we were in with a chance ... people would reminisce about it for years.

.Sean.
03-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Can't remember the rangers game you mean?

hibs0666
03-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Fair enjoyed the we are unbeatable 2-0 humping of the yams - Boozy and O'Connor after fanny the janny had been sent off.

Place went nuts when the second went in. :thumbsup:

Braids Hibby
03-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Has to be the 6-2 game seeing them heading back to their slums well before the end

clerriehibs
03-04-2013, 11:05 AM

#41 is a fine bus, how dare you suggeat otherwise!

clerriehibs
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Nearly 19 years on, I still get the "wow" feeling walking up st clair st and seeing the FF .... The leith san siro has never looked beter than it does now.

And should have been smaller? No way!

Bishop Hibee
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM

No sadly, you don't! The number 18 replaced part of the the journey and now goes between the new Royal Infirmary and The Gyle shopping centre. God knows which bus serves the other side of the town. The 32/52 route was a thing of beauty* :agree::greengrin

*except when you relied on it to get to work/college :rolleyes:

Ah the Schemie Express :greengrin The 21 takes in the northern part of that route now. Single decker between Leith and Porty that appears once in a blue moon.

AS for ER, it's at it's best anytime it is filled near to or fully to capacity with Hibs fans :flag:

matty_f
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Nearly 19 years on, I still get the "wow" feeling walking up st clair st and seeing the FF .... The leith san siro has never looked beter than it does now.

And should have been smaller? No way!

:agree: It's a magnificent stadium. I love it as it is now.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2013, 02:27 PM
#41 is a fine bus, how dare you suggeat otherwise!

Yer from Clerrie pal.................we have very different standards :greengrin:wink:

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
It's a fabulous stadium, if you need reminding just how good ER actually is take a long hard look at tynie during the next derby :greengrin

weecounty hibby
03-04-2013, 07:41 PM
As someone who has had STs for old old east terrace, old east terrace, old east stand, FF stand and west stand i think ER is at its best right now. Fantastic stadium that is the envy of every club in Scotland bar the OF. The only thing that could improve it just now IMO would be a safe standing area.

clerriehibs
04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Yer from Clerrie pal.................we have very different standards :greengrin:wink:

This kettle is sparkling next to your pot!!

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2013, 06:10 PM
This kettle is sparkling next to your pot!!

I've been in Clerrie, I doubt you've been to my resident area of Liverpool :wink:

Col2
04-04-2013, 07:26 PM
I hate buses as well. They get in the way of my Aston Martin.

heretoday
05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Haven't heard him in ages and I use it every day, just stop announcements these days.

Actually, before Bill there was a woman on the commentary who sounded like she was under ten feet of water. I'd like to drive that bus and put on different accents.

How about a Scouse one for starters? Eh weh joost coomin inte Hehmehrkeht where there ah numehrous poobs anthat!

iwasthere1972
05-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Best when I was 10 years old. Lift over and pies for next to nought.

Happy days.

Alfred E Newman
06-04-2013, 08:47 AM
This was Easter Road at its best

Ray_
06-04-2013, 09:15 AM
This was Easter Road at its best

Not that day it wasn't Malc, [photo two]:greengrin Peter Cormack was about to get sent off for retaliating against Peter Oliver and the fans [and PC] were still stunned over the exit of Peter Marinello, announced either that morning or the day before. NYD derby, 1970, finished 0-0.

The cave was magnificent though, as it always was in the big games.

southsider
06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
The cave end was behind the goals shooting down the slope. moving round we had a huge main terrace with the add on bit at the top. As a small boy i went right down the front of the add-on and to this day i was the best view i have ever experienced. Next we had the Dunbar end(away fans), called that because of juice factory beside it. Lastly the main stand with South, Centre and North sections. The South and North stand's had enclosures below. The North enclosure was where some of the more 'partizan' Hibs followers stood. I loved the old ground but was not family friendly like todays stands. But we got in free for years as there was always someone who gave you a "lift over" the turnstyle.

therealgavmac
06-04-2013, 12:19 PM

:agree: THIS

Lucius Apuleius
06-04-2013, 12:43 PM
To me it is an impossible question to answer. I stood in the cave for many a year before moving to the North Enclosure. However loved nothing better than the big games (Rantic and Hertz) walking through the east terracing kicking anything that was stationary. :greengrin Went back to the cave when it was seated and I got the ST for me and my boy. Moved to the now seated east when he got older and now my ST, which I really hope to use more than 3 times net season, is up the back of the East, so as was said before, the old east to some is a different old east to others. Preference would be for the new east compared to anything we had before. Having said that, and no matter how much I love the new East, the memories of standing in the other parts will forever be etched in my heid. Cannae take them away.:agree:

Keith_M
06-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Not meaning to take away from anyone's memories of the old East Terracing (which I'm sure was actually referred to as the 'Main' Terracing anyway :wink:) but my memories of it were that it was far too big for almost every game I ever attended and needed a roof and decent facilities. There was one pie stand in the corner and those 'Toilets' weren't worthy of the name.

Although I thought they chopped it down a bit too much (should have just taken the added top bit off, not hacked nearly two thirds of it away) once it was finally roofed I thought it was fantastic. The atmosphere in the late 80'/early 90's was, IMHO, the best.

heretoday
06-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Not meaning to take away from anyone's memories of the old East Terracing (which I'm sure was actually referred to as the 'Main' Terracing anyway :wink:) but my memories of it were that it was far too big for almost every game I ever attended and needed a roof and decent facilities. There was one pie stand in the corner and those 'Toilets' weren't worthy of the name.

Although I thought they chopped it down a bit too much (should have just taken the added top bit off, not hacked nearly two thirds of it away) once it was finally roofed I thought it was fantastic. The atmosphere in the late 80'/early 90's was, IMHO, the best.

Toilets? What do you want toilets for? We used to head up to the top of the terrace and let it flow. Fantastic view of the hills and the coast.