PDA

View Full Version : The Split

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Whats peoples views on this, a good or a bad thing?

This isnt a knee jerk reaction to us finishing in the bottom 6 which is all but certain, but for me I think its murder. Some teams seasons are practically over in March, look at Hearts as an example, out the cup, beat in the league cup, no chance of relegation (unless points deducted) and if Hibs made the top 6, nothing really to look forward to. We have a semi and now another derby to look forward to and maybe a final, but our season could easily look as meaningless if this wasnt the case.

I think it does more harm than good IMO, thoughts?

Hibercelona
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
What do you suggest they do then?

If there wasn't a split, there would have to be either 33 or 44 league games a season, until the number of clubs in the league are changed.

marinello59
01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
My problem with it is that it's seen as some sort of achievement these days merely to finish in the top half of the table. It's bad enough that we have had twenty years of most clubs accepting 3rd place as the ultimate aim without having this justification for a lack of genuine ambition.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
My problem with it is that it's seen as some sort of achievement these days merely to finish in the top half of the table. It's bad enough that we have had twenty years of most clubs accepting 3rd place as the ultimate aim without having this justification for a lack of genuine ambition.

Thats a very good point.

Stevie Reid
01-04-2013, 02:54 PM
As long as the title and relegation aren't resolved too quickly it actually makes for an exciting end to the season, flawed though it is - we had 3 trips to Inverness last season, had we performed as we normally we would have been even closer to relegation than we were.

NOLA
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Only plus to being in the bottom6 for me is trying out players with a view to next season ( if your safe from relegation )

CB_NO3
01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Its a farce. Only two options are a league of 10 and we play each other 4 times. We have tried that and its boring or a league of 18 and play home and away. We all know the TV companies wont have that, so all we can do is keep our mouths shut and do as we are told and continue to be the laughing stock of European football.

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 03:07 PM

If there wasn't a split, there would have to be either 33 or 44 league games a season, until the number of clubs in the league are changed.

How daft of me, with my clout and stature with the SPL / SFA I should have proposed an alternative. Its no ma job to suggest an alternative am just saying I dont like the current set up.

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
As long as the title and relegation aren't resolved too quickly it actually makes for an exciting end to the season, flawed though it is - we had 3 trips to Inverness last season, had we performed as we normally we would have been even closer to relegation than we were.

How often has this actually made an exciting end to the season statto? I have no idea but bet your the man to clarify this. Cant imagine its been too often?

Hibercelona
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
How daft of me, with my clout and stature with the SPL / SFA I should have proposed an alternative. Its no ma job to suggest an alternative am just saying I dont like the current set up.

As a football fan, you should propose an alternative if you can think of one. You don't have to be high up on the business ladder to come up with an idea.

People spend too much time complaining about how things are, when time could be better spent trying to come up with a solution instead.

Stevie Reid
01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
How often has this actually made an exciting end to the season statto? I have no idea but bet your the man to clarify this. Cant imagine its been too often?

Of course babes: -

The league title has been decided on the last day 4 times. Relegation was only settled when we beat Dunfermline 4-0 in our 37th game last season (mind that?) - relegation has been settled on the final day of the season on 4 occasions also. In 2004-05 there was 3 points separating the four teams 9th-12th and in 2009 ICT were relegated on goal difference with St. Mirren on the same points, and Falkirk (who beat ICT on the final day) one point above.

Other year's it has been pish, mind xx

HFC 0-7
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Its classed as an achievement as for, usually, about 4 teams in the bottom 6 it's season over as there is nothing to play for in the league any more. You could be within a few points of a European spot with 5 games to go and not be able to get that spot. It's an achievement as to finish high up you need to be in the top 6 with 5 games to go, too bad if your team has just come on to a good run of form.

the split as absolute urine.

hibeenicol
01-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Don't see a problem with playing 44 games a season, supporters get more games for their season ticket money and the club should bring in more money from walk-up supporters with an extra 3 home games.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Don't see a problem with playing 44 games a season, supporters get more games for their season ticket money and the club should bring in more money from walk-up supporters with an extra 3 home games.

I don't disagree with this, it's not as if our clubs are reaching the knockout stages of European tournaments on a regular basis?
We could easily be playing Saturday/Wednesday at this time of year

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2013, 04:41 PM

... but with the added appearance money for 5 extra games.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
... but with the added appearance money for 5 extra games.

Surely will be outweighed by 3 additional home games? The championship, league 1 and league 2 all play 46 games plus play offs

3pm
01-04-2013, 04:57 PM

This is the one.

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 05:15 PM
As a football fan, you should propose an alternative if you can think of one. You don't have to be high up on the business ladder to come up with an idea.

People spend too much time complaining about how things are, when time could be better spent trying to come up with a solution instead.

I think the economy is well ****ed but I don't have the answer to fixing that, I know I don't like it though.

Baldy Foghorn
01-04-2013, 10:03 PM
I dislike the split, think it's stupid.......If footballers can't handle 44 league games a Season they should be in a different profession......

Sir David Gray
01-04-2013, 10:17 PM

Yep, it encourages an acceptance of mediocrity.

Finishing sixth in a league as poor as the SPL should not be deemed a success and clinching a top six place means clubs don't aim for higher.

I absolutely detest the split and it's about time it was scrapped.

BroxburnHibee
02-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Its an absolute farce and as the '59' felly said earlier this idea its some sort of achievement to finish top 6 is ridiculous.

I'd love to see an 18 team league but cant see it anytime soon so for me a 12 team league (44 games) is the best option.

Its no as if they haven't done it before.

Unfortunately it looks like the new league proposals are going to bring in even more ridiculous ideas.

Laughing stock right enough.

Aldo
02-04-2013, 07:14 AM
I dislike the split, think it's stupid.......If footballers can't handle 44 league games a Season they should be in a different profession......

This. I also think its strange that the team in sixth could potentially have more points than the team in second come the end of the season.

The split us Pish.

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2013, 07:21 AM

Was it not the fans who were against the 44 game season? Folk were turned off with playing teams 4 times, in fact with cup games and replays some were playing each other 5 6 and 7 times a season.

I was fed up with it, saying that i'm fed up with watching pish too. Most fans would not be bothered what formation the league was if their team were a winning team.

lord bunberry
02-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Its an absolute farce and as the '59' felly said earlier this idea its some sort of achievement to finish top 6 is ridiculous.

I'd love to see an 18 team league but cant see it anytime soon so for me a 12 team league (44 games) is the best option.

Its no as if they haven't done it before.

Unfortunately it looks like the new league proposals are going to bring in even more ridiculous ideas.

Laughing stock right enough.

8th will be considered a success next season

Aldo
02-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Was it not the fans who were against the 44 game season? Folk were turned off with playing teams 4 times, in fact with cup games and replays some were playing each other 5 6 and 7 times a season.

I was fed up with it, saying that i'm fed up with watching pish too. Most fans would not be bothered what formation the league was if their team were a winning team.

It wasn't the clubs I know this as they wanted the traveling OF support filling the away ends ( and their coffers)

lord bunberry
02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
It wasn't the clubs I know this as they wanted the traveling OF support filling the away ends ( and their coffers)

I'm sure it was the old firm complaining that they were playing to many games and it was affecting their chances in europe

Aldo
02-04-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm sure it was the old firm complaining that they were playing to many games and it was affecting their chances in europe

Probably strange considering they were usually papped out by Xmas.

Aldo
02-04-2013, 09:10 AM

lord bunberry
02-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Or August

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Try explaining the split to folk who have no knowledge of the SPL, ultimately their response is always the same "well that's pretty ****** daft" and I totally agree with them.

Gatecrasher
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
the split is pish and a complete pain in the arse when it comes to scheduling for the last few games of the season. If Donkey Doncaster gets his way there will be more splits :rolleyes:.

Saorsa
02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Never liked it, never will, bloody farce. We manged fine without it for a long, long time.

complete and utter guff

Geo_1875
02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
The split is without doubt the worst way to organise a league. You play some teams 3 times at home and once away, and vice versa. Except CFC and TRFC who never, ever had the misfortune of the "computer" deciding to screw them over. You get 7th place and possibly 8th, finishing with more points than 6th. And as for making it more exciting. Wouldn't it be just as exciting if there was no split and the league was decided by who was the best team over the whole season?