PDA

View Full Version : Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho

HibernianJK
01-04-2013, 12:54 PM
As it says on the tin. If you were to be managed by one. Who would it be...

Greendub
01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Guardiola

AberdreamHibee
01-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Sir Alex by a country Mile.

I like Mourinho a lot but how any manager can be compared to Sir Alex is beyond me.

Come back in 20 years time, then maybe an answer to rival him. .

Sir Alex is a fantastic man manager and an astute one in terms of signings and youth policy. Best manager ever.

Vault Boy
01-04-2013, 03:01 PM

I don't really know, I'm not a football team. :dunno:

truehibernian
01-04-2013, 04:12 PM

I like Mourinho a lot but how any manager can be compared to Sir Alex is beyond me.

Sir Alex is a fantastic man manager and an astute one in terms of signings and youth policy. Best manager ever.

You could just as easily rephrase the question, what would you prefer, a punch in the puss or a cuddle :greengrin

I agree with you, Sir Alex for me, but for different reasons. The youth policy and man manager reasons you give, for me, are down to SAF employing and recruiting very astute backroom teams - many of whom contribute towards the youth policy and man management, which make up for SAF's lack of it - can you imagine Pat getting away with having doorman at clubs phone him if the players are out on the lash - or indeed sending club staff round to parties on finding out players are out late (which SAF did do regularly). The irony is that he allowed a small but exclusive drinking culture to exist and without much penalty because those that did were top players, winners and would run through brick walls for him because he made them feel as if they were the best players in the world (Robson, Whiteside, McGrath). I don't know if he still does, but I know that SAF used to visit each young player that Man Utd were going to sign, meet the family and discuss the near future with them. That personal touch goes a long way to endearing people to him and the club.

Plus he got me a signed ball from all the Aberdeen CWC players straight after they got back from Gothenburg :greengrin (or Eric Black did, but it was delivered with a wee note from SAF). Cannae believe I lost that football about a month later too :rolleyes: where was Ebay when I needed it most !

SAF has managed teams at lower levels to success but more importantly for me, he has managed both teams with nae money and teams where players are millionaire celebrities - two totally different managing environments to contend with, but he exacts the same high standards across the board. What he expects standards wise from a youth player is exactly what he expects from say Van Persie. He breeds winners and winning mentality and he is a sharp sharp man when it comes to tactics, mental warfare and spotting weakness in the opposition.

He has been at the pinnacle of his profession for over 30 years - Mourinho is good but there is no measure in my opinion because Mourinho came into the football world at a very different time - where money took over football in every sense.

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2013, 04:26 PM
see they tins

Scouse Hibee
01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Has to be old bacon face

davey 2 good
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
A govan prixx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
01-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Guardiola for me too.

jdships
01-04-2013, 07:59 PM

neither - thank you :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
It's like asking who would you rather date, Jennifer Aniston, or Kylie......Like the opening question, it's never going to happen....

Sir David Gray
01-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Sir Alex by a mile.

One of the best managers ever, in the history of world football.

northern-hibee
01-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Mourinio for me every day of the week. Ferguson nothing but a bully and intimidater, who gets lucky and loads of money

darwenhibby
01-04-2013, 10:01 PM
You could just as easily rephrase the question, what would you prefer, a punch in the puss or a cuddle :greengrin

I agree with you, Sir Alex for me, but for different reasons. The youth policy and man manager reasons you give, for me, are down to SAF employing and recruiting very astute backroom teams - many of whom contribute towards the youth policy and man management, which make up for SAF's lack of it - can you imagine Pat getting away with having doorman at clubs phone him if the players are out on the lash - or indeed sending club staff round to parties on finding out players are out late (which SAF did do regularly). The irony is that he allowed a small but exclusive drinking culture to exist and without much penalty because those that did were top players, winners and would run through brick walls for him because he made them feel as if they were the best players in the world (Robson, Whiteside, McGrath). I don't know if he still does, but I know that SAF used to visit each young player that Man Utd were going to sign, meet the family and discuss the near future with them. That personal touch goes a long way to endearing people to him and the club.

Plus he got me a signed ball from all the Aberdeen CWC players straight after they got back from Gothenburg :greengrin (or Eric Black did, but it was delivered with a wee note from SAF). Cannae believe I lost that football about a month later too :rolleyes: where was Ebay when I needed it most !

SAF has managed teams at lower levels to success but more importantly for me, he has managed both teams with nae money and teams where players are millionaire celebrities - two totally different managing environments to contend with, but he exacts the same high standards across the board. What he expects standards wise from a youth player is exactly what he expects from say Van Persie. He breeds winners and winning mentality and he is a sharp sharp man when it comes to tactics, mental warfare and spotting weakness in the opposition.

He has been at the pinnacle of his profession for over 30 years - Mourinho is good but there is no measure in my opinion because Mourinho came into the football world at a very different time - where money took over football in every sense.
Know from a good source he wanted rid of McGrath @ whiteside cos of drinking culture! Had to get rid of sharpe because if same situation.

The player in question Utd bought a house for his mum in Manchester to keep him in tow at 17! He says himself Fergie gave him 2 chances and he blew it!
Regrets regrets and he is only 37!

Ferguson by a mile!
And to think after the 86 World Cup he wanted to completely over haul Scottish football and the blazers did not want to give up their privileges!

JMac
01-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Mourinho for me, already won the champions league as many times as fergie and will get more league titles than him eventually

1875Hibees
01-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Mourinho by far. Sir Alex is a great manager, one of the best ever but not as good as Mourinho.

truehibernian
01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Know from a good source he wanted rid of McGrath @ whiteside cos of drinking culture! Had to get rid of sharpe because if same situation.

The player in question Utd bought a house for his mum in Manchester to keep him in tow at 17! He says himself Fergie gave him 2 chances and he blew it!
Regrets regrets and he is only 37!

Ferguson by a mile!
And to think after the 86 World Cup he wanted to completely over haul Scottish football and the blazers did not want to give up their privileges!

In no way doubting your source mate but I asked Ferguson about a few things when I was lucky enough to meet him in a social sense - it was Paul McGrath's injuries more than anything that convinced him to part with him and caused a fall-out. I think Paul himself admits in his book that his lifestyle was 'errant' for want of a better word.

What SAF always always does, is employ a close confidente, one who is a very good bridge between manager and squad - he's sharp as a tack in his recruitment.

You look at the players he took to 'rebuild' United, and especially the Scots - none were mavericks, but they were all skilful, honest, very humble background players (McClair, Strachan, Leighton) - he also took Bruce and Pallister to the club, north east lads, very humble and trustworthy.

He did the same at Aberdeen. SAF probably (and I'm biased) looked at Eddie Turnbull's philosophy on a player - Eddie thought much the same. Eddie also thought you had to always play players in their natural position and not meddle - a common fault in today's manager in my humble opinion.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Mourinio for me every day of the week. Ferguson nothing but a bully and intimidater, who gets lucky and loads of money

A guy who won St Mirren a Scottish Cup, Aberdeen a European trophyvas well as league titles and Scottish Cups and has built about 4 or 5 great Manchester United teams, rebuilt them from one of their lowest ebbs in the 80s, won 3 European trophies and won countless league titles and other trophies is nothing more than a bully and intimidator?

Reckon he's got a bit more about him than that.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2013, 12:03 AM

Someone who's won as much as he has over the past 30 years can hardly be described as lucky.

You might not like him but surely you can appreciate what he has done in his management career is truly remarkable.

He is a one off and a footballing legend.

Stringer
02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
A guy who won St Mirren a Scottish Cup, Aberdeen a European trophyvas well as league titles and Scottish Cups and has built about 4 or 5 great Manchester United teams, rebuilt them from one of their lowest ebbs in the 80s, won 3 European trophies and won countless league titles and other trophies is nothing more than a bully and intimidator?

His success in scotland can't be compared to Jose at Porto. Scotland used to be the top league in Europe, we were beating sides like Bayern FFS! Mourinho winning the champs league with Porto and the treble with inter is astonishing

truehibernian
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
His success in scotland can't be compared to Jose at Porto. Scotland used to be the top league in Europe, we were beating sides like Bayern FFS! Mourinho winning the champs league with Porto and the treble with inter is astonishing

Mournino has/had access to world football transfer markets - Sir Alex never. Not many Brazilians, Chileans, Argentinians in the Saints, Dons or early Man Utd side !

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 08:30 AM
The achievements of the two in the game are not even comparable, only time will tell if Mourinho ever comes close to Ferguson.

lyonhibs
02-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Some of these pro-Mourinho/Anti-Fergie arguments are comic in the extreme.

Bacon Chops for me, though Mourinho is clearly well cooler.

lord bunberry
02-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Ferguson's a good manager but he didn't win the Scottish cup with st mirren

allezsauzee
02-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Mourinho has a better win % as far League titles and European trophies go, but Fergie has been going a long time and still has the desire to win everything. I'd be happy enough with either

yeezus.
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM

:agree: spot on. BTW, Sir Alex played his first ever game for Queen's Park at Stair Park, Stranraer

dave62
02-04-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm a City fan, but you can't argue with Ferguson's record. So I'd have to pick him.

3pm
02-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I'd go for the Stirling Albion gaffer who beat The Rangers (2012) while he was at his own wedding.

So good he didnae even have to go to the game.