PDA

View Full Version : East Mains and Ground completed.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
We were told this was the final piece of the jigsaw, we'd now concentrate on the team. The training ground would hone the players better, the benefits would be seen on the pitch and the new stands would fill up nicely.

All we needed was a little patience we were told, what a crock of sheite that was. I have no arguments about us building both the stand or the training ground, but if this is us concentrating on the product we are putting on the park, we will have to be a lot more patient, while the likes of Ross County Motherwell and Inverness who i don't think have done either fly past us up the league.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Welcome to my world Gary! LOL

bingo70
01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't think we've sold anyone of note since the stand was completed, when we do the funds will be given to the team.

SaulGoodman
01-04-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't think we've sold anyone of note since the stand was completed, when we do the funds will be given to the team.

Unfortunately we don't have anyone of note to sell.

We're stuck in a vicious circle.

SmashinGlass
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
We were told this was the final piece of the jigsaw, we'd now concentrate on the team. The training ground would hone the players better, the benefits would be seen on the pitch and the new stands would fill up nicely.

All we needed was a little patience we were told, what a crock of sheite that was. I have no arguments about us building both the stand or the training ground, but if this is us concentrating on the product we are putting on the park, we will have to be a lot more patient, while the likes of Ross County Motherwell and Inverness who i don't think have done either fly past us up the league.

I think this has been happening, just we've been dribbling money down the urinal by paying overinflated salaries to ordinary players.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM

I was always under the impression we did not do that?

silverhibee
01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Does any one know how much it costs for the running of East Mains per year, and where does that money come from to keep it up and running.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
There has been comparably good money spent on the team, at least 2 managers have commented we have outbid them on players.

The big problem is a lot of the money has been *****ed on the wrong players by the wrong managers.

Jack
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM

I think the transfer market has died for the type of players we produced - even if we had produced another.

The great continually dipping recession hasn't helped either.

Add the two together and I suppose we're even lucky to be where we are now.

We keep seeing and saying how well fixed we are outside the OF but with fewer overheads the others are still keeping afloat instead of sinking deeper in the pooh.

If there ever is a recovery then our time could come :-D

BEEJ
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Or be used to pay down the remaining club debt.

:cb

Mikey
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Does any one know how much it costs for the running of East Mains per year, and where does that money come from to keep it up and running.

It was £500k a year a few years ago but I suspect that's been reduced along with a lot of the other costs. Even then, can't see it being much below £350k a year.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
It was £500k a year a few years ago but I suspect that's been reduced along with a lot of the other costs. Even then, can't see it being much below £350k a year.

Any idea how that compares to what we were shelling out previously to rent other parks to train on?

I'd imagine favourably.

Kenny1875
01-04-2013, 12:38 PM
blackpoolhibs has flipped. I think he's having a nervous breakdown.

Beefster
01-04-2013, 12:38 PM

To be fair, it was pretty obvious at the time that the folk spouting this were talking pish. It's up there with the 'he just needs 3/5 years to build a team' argument.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 12:41 PM
blackpoolhibs has flipped. I think he's having a nervous breakdown.

I have flipped, all because of our flops.

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
IMO if anyone thought this would be a quick fix IMO they are wide of the mark.

Something like this wont happen overnight and I expect to see a notable difference in 5, 7, even 10 years for this club. As a business there will be a strategy short term and long term and I believe this falls into the latter. I believe this is a case of gradually increasing the money avalible for players wages and transfers over a period of years, and to see a tangable difference will take time.

Its not a case of now the stands up and EM is in place we should see an immediate upturn in fortunes IMO.

lord bunberry
01-04-2013, 12:48 PM

I'm not really sure who your having a go at with that post. Do you think we should be spending more than we're bringing in or do you think that we're spending what we've got badly. We have wasted far to much money recently in paying off managers and player's and that has meant that the current manager's budget must have been lower than the previous manager. We've still got the cup this year (and some people would rather we got relegated and win the cup) and next year we won't have the massive squad rebuild to do

connerg
01-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Heard it was 500k a year.

silverhibee
01-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Cheers M, and where does this money come from. :aok:

Craig_in_Prague
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM

half of that is just for new balls as they keep hoofing them out of bounds.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm not really sure who your having a go at with that post. Do you think we should be spending more than we're bringing in or do you think that we're spending what we've got badly. We have wasted far to much money recently in paying off managers and player's and that has meant that the current manager's budget must have been lower than the previous manager. We've still got the cup this year (and some people would rather we got relegated and win the cup) and next year we won't have the massive squad rebuild to do

I'm not really having a go at anyone, well maybe Petrie or whoever it is now who appoints the managers. We have spent good money on managers who have consistently brought in duds, thats a waste of money. I know we have the cup this season, and that could be the saving grace money wise for next season.

Should we reach the final, there will probably be the same deal they had last season, with anyone purchasing a new season ticket will be guaranteed a ticket for the final.

As i disagree with you on your last point, the team does need rebuilt again next season, we have McGivern, Claros, and Griffiths on loan with Thomson only playing for free til the end of the season. Some would say thats our 4 best players, we also have Deegan out of contract and a few others.

We will need every penny imo from a cup final appearance to build a team for next season.

hibs0666
01-04-2013, 12:58 PM

The stadium and training ground was being done in better economic times and when there was more money in the Scottish game.

The bottom line is that Scottish football is no longer viable and a National league is the future.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 01:01 PM
The stadium and training ground was being done in better economic times and when there was more money in the Scottish game.

The bottom line is that Scottish football is no longer viable and a National league is the future.

Thats not happening anytime soon, so for the moment we have to ask why clubs who don't have many fans, have not laid down superb foundations are streaking away from us on the park?

Mikey
01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Cheers M, and where does this money come from. :aok:

It's just one of the running costs presumably. Like the gas, electric, phone, etc.

BEEJ
01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
As i disagree with you on your last point, the team does need rebuilt again next season, we have McGivern, Claros, and Griffiths on loan with Thomson only playing for free til the end of the season. Some would say thats our 4 best players, we also have Deegan out of contract and a few others.

We will need every penny imo from a cup final appearance to build a team for next season.
:agree:

In many ways that's the most disturbing aspect of where we currently find ourselves.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Thats not happening anytime soon, so for the moment we have to ask why clubs who don't have many fans, have not laid down superb foundations are streaking away from us on the park?

Basically, this is the crux of the matter.

silverhibee
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM

:aok:

Beefster
01-04-2013, 01:09 PM

They have better managers. Ones who are tactically flexible and can adapt to a game as it happens.

Probably.

RIP
01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
At any one time Hibs have 8 age groups with between 14 and 20 laddies in training per group. That's 150 aspiring young footballers all playing football in a style coached by the Academy coaches. A style that delivered a cup and league double 19 squad.

When they get to 18, they hit the hoofball wall of Hibs managers piling men behind the ball in a failed bid to avoid the sack. The chances of any of them getting a decent run in the first team are negligible.

The idea behind the Training Centre was to allow managers like John Collins a chance to develop his stars of the future. This approach needs resurrected by the Board to turn Mowbray's vision of a home grown, performance focused football operation at Hibernian Football Club into a reality. If managers don't make it happen - they don't belong at our club.

lord bunberry
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm not really having a go at anyone, well maybe Petrie or whoever it is now who appoints the managers. We have spent good money on managers who have consistently brought in duds, thats a waste of money. I know we have the cup this season, and that could be the saving grace money wise for next season.

Should we reach the final, there will probably be the same deal they had last season, with anyone purchasing a new season ticket will be guaranteed a ticket for the final.

Next season we will have the nucleus of a decent team. We have got a good goalkeeper, Stevenson will take the place of mcgivern to leave us with a solid defence, in midfield we will have cairney robertson harris and craig. So assuming everyone who is on loan or out of contract leaves then we will need strikers and a couple of midfielders. I'm not saying everything is rosy but its a better base to start with than we've had for a couple of years. The big question is whether the manager's up to the task, personally I think he will be

jdships
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Any idea how that compares to what we were shelling out previously to rent other parks to train on?

I'd imagine favourably.

:agree:

jdships
01-04-2013, 02:02 PM
They have better managers. Ones who are tactically flexible and can adapt to a game as it happens.

Probably.

That's how I see it too !!
Money , and GOOD money , has been made available regularly to our managers and when you look at the poor quality players bought you need look no further for answers to ' Why are where we are today ? '

Yes you can blame and criticise the players but if successive managers fail to use that money WISELY who do you blame ? :greengrin

Answers on a postcard to YOU KNOW WHO :wink:

HFC 0-7
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
IMO if anyone thought this would be a quick fix IMO they are wide of the mark.

Something like this wont happen overnight and I expect to see a notable difference in 5, 7, even 10 years for this club. As a business there will be a strategy short term and long term and I believe this falls into the latter. I believe this is a case of gradually increasing the money avalible for players wages and transfers over a period of years, and to see a tangable difference will take time.

Its not a case of now the stands up and EM is in place we should see an immediate upturn in fortunes IMO.

East mains has been up and running for about 5 years, that's certainly not been a quick fix. To deploy a strategy that would take 10 years to come to fruition in a business as volatile as football, at a time when we were not cementing our place as 3rd or 4th strongest in a weak SPL is madness. There is no way the board would have gone for that, they had a plan to build the infrastructure and thy succeeded. That's what our board are excellent at, paying the lowest price for bricks and mortar, they are not good at buying something that may or may not do what it says on the tin.

East mains should be bearing fruit by now, it isn't. The stand will not bring in extra revenue if east mains doesn't bear fruit as we are never going to fill it with the standard of play we dish out. We have good youth teams that play very differently to the first team, very few step up to the first team. Whether that's because they are not good enough, or the type of football they have been developed on doesn't suit the first team managers style - who knows!

ggth
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM

spot on!

The way we have been playing since the beginning of December, has been dire. We got the rub of the green early on, but that has changed now, I can't see Hibs improving under PF with the 15 or so players he has brought in, either he can't get the best out of them or they are not good enough - either way the buck stops with him.
for me the current style of play is as painful as, having root canal treatment. This will surely have an impact on next seasons ticket sales,

ooh nearly forgot, I'd bin most of the players he brought in. I want to see players that pass forwards not sideways!!

rant over

Happy Holiday Monday................

Ray_
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Next season we will have the nucleus of a decent team. We have got a good goalkeeper, Stevenson will take the place of mcgivern to leave us with a solid defence, in midfield we will have cairney robertson harris and craig. So assuming everyone who is on loan or out of contract leaves then we will need strikers and a couple of midfielders. I'm not saying everything is rosy but its a better base to start with than we've had for a couple of years. The big question is whether the manager's up to the task, personally I think he will be

:greengrin

It is April 1 right enough.

5david5
01-04-2013, 02:48 PM
East mains has been up and running for about 5 years, that's certainly not been a quick fix. To deploy a strategy that would take 10 years to come to fruition in a business as volatile as football, at a time when we were not cementing our place as 3rd or 4th strongest in a weak SPL is madness. There is no way the board would have gone for that, they had a plan to build the infrastructure and thy succeeded. That's what our board are excellent at, paying the lowest price for bricks and mortar, they are not good at buying something that may or may not do what it says on the tin.

East mains should be bearing fruit by now, it isn't. The stand will not bring in extra revenue if east mains doesn't bear fruit as we are never going to fill it with the standard of play we dish out. We have good youth teams that play very differently to the first team, very few step up to the first team. Whether that's because they are not good enough, or the type of football they have been developed on doesn't suit the first team managers style - who knows!

Surely it's the case finally that the last few years of paying managers off and putting together packages to tempt their dreadful signings to leave is almost at an end?

Our wage bill has been high over the last few years, but perhaps now it will be high with spending on actual productive and hopefully longer term signings?

I'd hope that some sign of this competitive advantage must be near. All these years of sacrifice may be eventually about to produce something meaningful

is Pat the boy though - BIG QUESTION!?

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 02:57 PM

I dont think it is madness, every business / club will have a plan, Hibs was to build EM and develop ER in the manor they have, a decision that was taken a number of years ago. We are now at the latter stages of that planning and we are now in a better position to put all the focus on the playing side of things, which has undoubtedly suffered as a concequence of the above. To suggest we should be cementing a 3rd or 4th strongest in the SPL aswell as doing this is unrealistic IMO. Dont get me wrong I think we certainly should / could have done better this season which is down to PF and the budget he has to work with, but we havnt unlike other clubs been able purly to focus everything onto the playing side of things the last few years.

Look at ITC, Well, RC, St Johnston as examples, they have got no where near the infrastructure we have and wont have for probably another decade and to do this aswell as maintaining a sustained top 3 or 4 league placing would be very difficult. I do however suspect these teams dont have the desire to develop to the extent Hibs have done and from that side of things we are years and years ahead of them.

Ultimatly I believe personally that we will now see the benefits of EM and ER (which go hand in hand, EM does its job then ER gets busier), not just in the sence of bringing on youth, but by attracting better quality players as we will be in a position to increase our playing budget.

All just my view on things which could be totaly wrong I accept.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 03:08 PM
The way Scottish football is going those teams won't ever have to get involved in spending such huge amounts of money on the infrastructure of their clubs.

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 03:11 PM
The way Scottish football is going those teams won't ever have to get involved in spending such huge amounts of money on the infrastructure of their clubs.

Thats a really valid point.

Mind they wont be able to leave the SPL with us and the old firm to go down to England to show off our facilities :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Mind they wont be able to leave the SPL with us and the old firm to go down to England to show off our facilities :greengrin

That or some sort of lower tier European League is the only reason I could come up with for Hibs spending so much money on off the pitch projects that they decided to at the time. I don't think I'll be holding my breath though!

HFC 0-7
01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I dont think it is madness, every business / club will have a plan, Hibs was to build EM and develop ER in the manor they have, a decision that was taken a number of years ago. We are now at the latter stages of that planning and we are now in a better position to put all the focus on the playing side of things, which has undoubtedly suffered as a concequence of the above. To suggest we should be cementing a 3rd or 4th strongest in the SPL aswell as doing this is unrealistic IMO. Dont get me wrong I think we certainly should / could have done better this season which is down to PF and the budget he has to work with, but we havnt unlike other clubs been able purly to focus everything onto the playing side of things the last few years.

Look at ITC, Well, RC, St Johnston as examples, they have got no where near the infrastructure we have and wont have for probably another decade and to do this aswell as maintaining a sustained top 3 or 4 league placing would be very difficult. I do however suspect these teams dont have the desire to develop to the extent Hibs have done and from that side of things we are years and years ahead of them.

Ultimatly I believe personally that we will now see the benefits of EM and ER (which go hand in hand, EM does its job then ER gets busier), not just in the sence of bringing on youth, but by attracting better quality players as we will be in a position to increase our playing budget.

No way was it a 5 - 10 year plan. Your last part about bringing on youth and attracting better quality plaŷers, why would that take 5 years from when the stadium was completed? East mains has been going for 5 years now and we haven't seen any benefits, if it was to attract better players why hasn't it happened already? Why have we not seen better players coming out of it? Youth players could have been in their since they were 13, surely we should have more promising youngsters coming through than we did when we were training on public parks.

I see where you are coming from, if east mains produces the stand will be full because the product will be better, but we have had 5 years out of east mains and we haven't seen any results, why would another 5 make a difference?

Imo, I don't think we are a big enough club in a big enough league with enough resources to make a training centre produce more talent than we were getting before. I can see east mains getting scaled right back.

Beefster
01-04-2013, 03:54 PM

If Stevenson is part of the nucleus or is a first 11 player next season, we haven't improved enough.

Speedway
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM

1. No lack of hunger.

2. Underdog mentality that we, the sheep, the yams and the arabs don't have.

3. Consistency in team selection.

4. Lack of T.U.R.D - Total Urgency Realisation Deficiency

5. No spoon fed culture at those clubs

6. Better team mentality

7. Fewer c***y fans screaming for the manager's or player's head every time a pass goes astray

8. Greater financial risk attitude

9. Fewer players resting on their laurels (is McPake droppable?)

10. Greater professional integrity

Keith_M
01-04-2013, 04:34 PM

Can you clarify, is this an April Fool?

:dunno:

GreenPJ
01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
At any one time Hibs have 8 age groups with between 14 and 20 laddies in training per group. That's 150 aspiring young footballers all playing football in a style coached by the Academy coaches. A style that delivered a cup and league double 19 squad.

When they get to 18, they hit the hoofball wall of Hibs managers piling men behind the ball in a failed bid to avoid the sack. The chances of any of them getting a decent run in the first team are negligible.

The idea behind the Training Centre was to allow managers like John Collins a chance to develop his stars of the future. This approach needs resurrected by the Board to turn Mowbray's vision of a home grown, performance focused football operation at Hibernian Football Club into a reality. If managers don't make it happen - they don't belong at our club.

10/10

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-04-2013, 04:52 PM

:top marks

tamig
01-04-2013, 05:02 PM

I think you're being a bit disrespectful to some of the clubs you mention. These clubs don't need an infrastructure on the same scale as us. St J and RC have excellent youth set ups and stadia that are more than fit for their purpose. We are ahead of some teams in the off the pitch stakes - but not all.

ahibby
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM

I like how you put a positive on losing Mcgivern and Stevenson strengthenen our defence. I don't agree with it but I like it.

lord bunberry
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
If Stevenson is part of the nucleus or is a first 11 player next season, we haven't improved enough.

I think that's quite harsh on Stevenson he has had some really good games at left back this season, he has had a couple of games were he's been poor but so has mcgivern. I think everyone would rather we kept mcgivern but my post was on the premise that all the loan players and the out of contract players were leaving

lord bunberry
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I like how you put a positive on losing Mcgivern and Stevenson strengthenen our defence. I don't agree with it but I like it.

I didn't say he would strengthen our team but were never going to have 11 internationalists in our team

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I think you're being a bit disrespectful to some of the clubs you mention. These clubs don't need an infrastructure on the same scale as us. St J and RC have excellent youth set ups and stadia that are more than fit for their purpose. We are ahead of some teams in the off the pitch stakes - but not all.

How and where am I being disrespectful? I think my comments are accurate and at no point is it being disrespectful. I agree it fits their purpose for their needs.

Beefster
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I think that's quite harsh on Stevenson he has had some really good games at left back this season, he has had a couple of games were he's been poor but so has mcgivern. I think everyone would rather we kept mcgivern but my post was on the premise that all the loan players and the out of contract players were leaving

Stevenson's a decent squad member but we shouldn't be in the situation next season where he's first pick for any position. If we are, we've regressed from this season.

mrdependable
01-04-2013, 08:14 PM

The idea behind the Training Centre was to allow managers like John Collins a chance to develop his stars of the future. This approach needs resurrected by the Board to turn Mowbray's vision of a home grown, performance focused football operation at Hibernian Football Club into a reality. If managers don't make it happen - they don't belong at our club.Excellent post. There is a short term mentality with a quick turnover of managers bringing in their own players and own styles in a desperate battle to remain afloat and keep their job. The youngsters rarely get a chance and when they do have to fit into a different style from what suits them

tamig
01-04-2013, 09:00 PM
How and where am I being disrespectful? I think my comments are accurate and at no point is it being disrespectful. I agree it fits their purpose for their needs.

You said from that respect we're years ahead of them. No we're not. They have a working model in place that meets their needs. They don't have any catching up to do.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Stevenson's a decent squad member but we shouldn't be in the situation next season where he's first pick for any position. If we are, we've regressed from this season.

I like Stevenson, but its true he's a squad filler, someone who fills in when injuries and suspensions happen. He's played well this season, and has rarely let us down.

But we need better as 1st team players, players who offer much more than him and Maybury and others who i also class as a squad fillers.

SMAXXA
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
You said from that respect we're years ahead of them. No we're not. They have a working model in place that meets their needs. They don't have any catching up to do.

To bring their facilities upto 2013 and modern day football I would suggest they have a long long way to go, regardless if this fits their current needs? Football like anything doesn't stand still and we are ahead of them facility wise that is clear.

Clearly that's having no baring on the football side of things and fair play to them for that.

DH1875
01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Where we are now has nothing to do with East Mains. All the recent managers have had funds for players whether it was wages, loans or a transfer fee. The likes of Darren Randolph, Nicky Law, Chris Humphrey, Niall McGinn, Gary Harkins, Paul McGowan, Gary Teale, Goncalves, Richie Foran, Billy McKay, Mackay-Steven and Paul Heffernan have all been available in the last couple of years. Granted, we may not have been in for any of them but why not? and if we were, why didn't we get them?

Jonnyboy
01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I like Stevenson, but its true he's a squad filler, someone who fills in when injuries and suspensions happen. He's played well this season, and has rarely let us down.

But we need better as 1st team players, players who offer much more than him and Maybury and others who i also class as a squad fillers.

We need better in every position Gary but once again Stevenson is the easy target

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
We need better in every position Gary but once again Stevenson is the easy target

Yip :agree:

IWasThere2016
01-04-2013, 10:15 PM
EM doesnae put the baw in the net, because the new East cannae play the killer pass :wink:

CyberSauzee
01-04-2013, 10:47 PM

How could it go down by so much when costs in every walk of life have risen so much the last few years?

Gerard
01-04-2013, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=Kenny HFC;3552578]blackpoolhibs has flipped. I think he's having a nervous breakdo
the poor man needs a doctor. Is there one on line to help him?:greengrin

cad
02-04-2013, 03:57 AM

:top marksEven the hoofball approach is causing us a few problems our hoofing ain't what it should be,but we are improving apparently :whistle:

lord bunberry
02-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Does anyone have a list for the amount of money spl teams spend on wages for playing staff. We keep hearing that our budget is much higher than teams like st johnstone and motherwell, I would be interested to find out how much higher

silverhibee
02-04-2013, 12:28 PM
It's just one of the running costs presumably. Like the gas, electric, phone, etc.

So the money to pay for the above and East Mains must come from sponsorship deals and maybe walk ups to games on the day and things like that, not from ST sales.

BEEJ
02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
So the money to pay for the above and East Mains must come from sponsorship deals and maybe walk ups to games on the day and things like that, not from ST sales.
Walk up ticket sales have previously gone towards the Manager's team budget (they make an assumption at the beginning of the season and review during the January transfer window.)

Club merchandise sales / profits would go towards the above costs.

Big Frank
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
1. No lack of hunger.

2. Underdog mentality that we, the sheep, the yams and the arabs don't have.

3. Consistency in team selection.

4. Lack of T.U.R.D - Total Urgency Realisation Deficiency

5. No spoon fed culture at those clubs

6. Better team mentality

7. Fewer c***y fans screaming for the manager's or player's head every time a pass goes astray

8. Greater financial risk attitude

9. Fewer players resting on their laurels (is McPake droppable?)

10. Greater professional integrity

Superb post speedway. (as have all of Blackpools')

Top thread. no gnashing of teeth...
:top marks