PDA

View Full Version : What does Pat need to do?

FifeHibernian
31-03-2013, 01:51 PM
We're obviously not going to get rid of Pat anytime soon - Petrie was reluctant to even get rid of Calderwood and Pat has done a far better job than him IMO. However, the team has obviously gone downhill since our loss at Dens earlier in the year and something (or a number of things) need to change. What do you think Pat could do better/ needs to do this season and next to bring the club forward? Realisticly what needs to change?

Personally I think Pat needs to encourage the team to play some passing football because we have players capable of this. Hoofball is boring, negative and unhelpful.

neilmartinrocks
31-03-2013, 01:55 PM
We're obviously not going to get rid of Pat anytime soon - Petrie was reluctant to even get rid of Calderwood and Pat has done a far better job than him IMO. However, the team has obviously gone downhill since our loss at Dens earlier in the year and something (or a number of things) need to change. What do you think Pat could do better/ needs to do this season and next to bring the club forward? Realisticly what needs to change?

Personally I think Pat needs to encourage the team to play some passing football because we have players capable of this. Hoofball is boring, negative and unhelpful.

Winning a few home games would be nice to be getting on with.

DH1875
31-03-2013, 01:58 PM

This. If we're gonna lose then lets at least make it watchable :agree:.

Chibs
31-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Win the Scottish Cup

Ozyhibby
31-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Win the Scottish Cup

It's the only thing that should keep him in a job for me.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Drop the Levein tactics of playing the exact same formation regardless of who we are playing.

We have had good results against Celtic, for example, because sitting in tight against them, getting men behind the ball and trying to grab a goal on the break is the right system to play against a team that wants to attack us.

Is that the right systen to play against, again for example, Dundee at home who will also try to sit in and spoil. How do you unlock thay system playing thr way we play? Answer based on the available evidence seems to be no yet Fenlon appears blind to this.

He seems intent on the same thing that did for Hughes and Mixu. He must see things are wrong but rather than change his system, he is trying to change things by altering the personel in the exact same system. Thats not going to work frankly.

Heisenberg
31-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I personally don't think he sets out for the team to hump it up the park at every opportunity. The amount of times the ball was rolled out to a defender who then had zero options in front of him apart from a short pass to a midfielder who would then pass it back/sideways for the whole process to start again.

He has to figure out how to get them playing the way they did at the start of the season. We had two wingers who played on the line providing very good width. We got the ball out to them quickly and it allowed us to get forward with purpose. Now we're slow, laboured and go nowhere with the ball. Teams figured that tactic out and it seems PF has struggled to come up with another way of playing. I, for one, have nae idea what to do to get us back to that but then again, that's not my job.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-03-2013, 02:12 PM
I think there is now an unhealthy acceptance of mediocrity at Hibs from the top down and to be honest changing the manager every 18 months in the hope of striking it lucky isnae the sole remedy to the malaise we've become accustomed to for too long.

FifeHibernian
31-03-2013, 02:15 PM
I personally don't think he sets out for the team to hump it up the park at every opportunity. The amount of times the ball was rolled out to a defender who then had zero options in front of him apart from a short pass to a midfielder who would then pass it back/sideways for the whole process to start again.

He has to figure out how to get them playing the way they did at the start of the season. We had two wingers who played on the line providing very good width. We got the ball out to them quickly and it allowed us to get forward with purpose. Now we're slow, laboured and go nowhere with the ball. Teams figured that tactic out and it seems PF has struggled to come up with another way of playing. I, for one, have nae idea what to do to get us back to that but then again, that's not my job.

Agree with that. As much as I like Lewis Stevenson I think it all started going this way when he came back into the side. He's not got any confidence and makes the other players negative too. Same goes for Alan Maybury. I reckon we need a confident reliable defence to that'll give confidence to the rest of the team. Makes players like Spoony more positive.

FifeHibernian
31-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I think there is now an unhealthy acceptance of mediocrity at Hibs from the top down and to be honest changing the manager every 18 months in the hope of striking it lucky isnae the sole remedy to the malaise we've become accustomed to for too long.

I want Hibs to be finishing top 4 every season. Getting rid of Paddy Fenlon at this moment in time isn't the way to do that. I reckon we need some consistency for a while.

FifeHibernian
31-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Drop the Levein tactics of playing the exact same formation regardless of who we are playing.

We have had good results against Celtic, for example, because sitting in tight against them, getting men behind the ball and trying to grab a goal on the break is the right system to play against a team that wants to attack us.

Is that the right systen to play against, again for example, Dundee at home who will also try to sit in and spoil. How do you unlock thay system playing thr way we play? Answer based on the available evidence seems to be no yet Fenlon appears blind to this.

He seems intent on the same thing that did for Hughes and Mixu. He must see things are wrong but rather than change his system, he is trying to change things by altering the personel in the exact same system. Thats not going to work frankly.

Yeah, too negative in games like this.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-03-2013, 02:22 PM
I want Hibs to be finishing top 4 every season. Getting rid of Paddy Fenlon at this moment in time isn't the way to do that. I reckon we need some consistency for a while.

We're consistent now, its not going to get us near a top 4 finish though! ;-)

MrSmith
31-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Ala Alex Miller anyone?

Steve-O
31-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Resign?

Emerald
31-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Ala Alex Miller anyone?

I would take Alex Miller any day of the week in place of PF. Could you see PF as a Liverpool assistant manager?

connerg
31-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Ala Alex Miller anyone?:agree:

Been saying that about Fenlon for a while now. Mogadon Miller would put you to sleep too.

EastCalderHibby
31-03-2013, 11:21 PM

If players would move of the ball instead of just watching it ,it surely would help the man on the ball make a forward pass instead of hoofball, or pass backwards and almost all the time create problems by putting pressure on our selfs

matty_f
31-03-2013, 11:27 PM
The work needs to be done on the training ground, and he needs to get some training drills/methods that get the players used to a pass and move style that is done with a bit of purpose and pace. We pass to statues at the moment, and the statues generally have their backs to goal when they get the ball. We are too slow, too pedestrian, and too predictable with our passing.

Fenlon needs to get the players better equipped to play an expansive game. It shouldn't come down to just the type of player he has - we had a few internationals in the side on Saturday and still looked like we didn't know what to do with the ball when we had it. We need to improve on and off the ball.

We play a pragmatic style that is neither good to watch, nor does it consistently get results (other than, apparently, disappointing ones). If we're going to lose games I'd rather we were doing it having a real go at the opposition, rather than going out with a whimper as we did on Saturday. No point in being pragmatic and sh**e.

EastCalderHibby
31-03-2013, 11:38 PM
The work needs to be done on the training ground, and he needs to get some training drills/methods that get the players used to a pass and move style that is done with a bit of purpose and pace. We pass to statues at the moment, and the statues generally have their backs to goal when they get the ball. We are too slow, too pedestrian, and too predictable with our passing.

Fenlon needs to get the players better equipped to play an expansive game. It shouldn't come down to just the type of player he has - we had a few internationals in the side on Saturday and still looked like we didn't know what to do with the ball when we had it. We need to improve on and off the ball.

We play a pragmatic style that is neither good to watch, nor does it consistently get results (other than, apparently, disappointing ones). If we're going to lose games I'd rather we were doing it having a real go at the opposition, rather than going out with a whimper as we did on Saturday. No point in being pragmatic and sh**e.

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Short term he must make the final by beating Falkirk, i don't want to think about losing that game. :timebomb:

spike220
01-04-2013, 04:18 AM
Short term he must make the final by beating Falkirk, i don't want to think about losing that game. :timebomb:

Beat Celtic, Win the SC, win the SPL, Win the Champions League, win the club world cup, then we will name the East stand after him.

Simple really.

Weir7
01-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Correct.

Also, to work on things at training he needs to stop giving players 2 days off a week. Spens less time going home to see the family.

This is a carbon copy of what CC did and once again Petrie is letting it happen again.

Jim44
01-04-2013, 06:47 AM

A convincing win against Falkirk and, win or lose, a good performance against Celtic or a win against Dundee United is the only scenario which could make this season bearable.

Beefster
01-04-2013, 07:50 AM
If he can stop my eyes bleeding every weekend, that would be a start.

At The Edge
01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
He needs to stop with this 7 man defence, its boring to watch, total negativity and putting me off wanting to go to games. Its your tactics they are following Pat and hoofball seems to be the plan.

lord bunberry
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Correct.

Also, to work on things at training he needs to stop giving players 2 days off a week. Spens less time going home to see the family.

This is a carbon copy of what CC did and once again Petrie is letting it happen again.

I thought pats family had come over here to live

h185forever
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
[as per the title ......start packing

It not getting any better even if we win the cup and that's not likely, Pat's had enough time and the team still has no real organisation about it

bigwheel
01-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Win some games between now and end of season ..

Captain Trips
01-04-2013, 11:21 AM
If after this length of time Pat needs to do anything other than make signings then he isnt up to job, tactics,fitness, styles etc should be sorted long ago he signed or kept players therefore believed in them to do the job which will have been finish higher than 6th.

All that should be happening is getting players to come in now, yet I see things that I think should be nailed down not happening there are lots of things not working out that should be.

AK86
01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Pat needs to put his hands up and admit he hasn't got it
Should have been emptied in May

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
The more i think about it, the more i have to laugh about how it seems it now takes at least 2-3 years before you can see a team pass and move quicker than we do it now.

I will tell you why we don't do it, our players are too slow up top in the head. Most are reluctant to go forward as thats out of their comfort zone. Claros and Cairney are the only 2 players who can do it but both lack pace to do it themselves.

When they try and go forward the players we have are hardly bursting a gut to get into good positions, and are easily marked, meaning there are rarely any incisive passes on.

We have far too many players without pace throughout the side, and one decent forward. Thats hardly great team building, and the current manager has had 3 windows to address this but we are still seeing the same faults now to when he first arrived.

If you bring in plodders, your team will plod along.

J-C
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
The more i think about it, the more i have to laugh about how it seems it now takes at least 2-3 years before you can see a team pass and move quicker than we do it now.

I will tell you why we don't do it, our players are too slow up top in the head. Most are reluctant to go forward as thats out of their comfort zone. Claros and Cairney are the only 2 players who can do it but both lack pace to do it themselves.

When they try and go forward the players we have are hardly bursting a gut to get into good positions, and are easily marked, meaning there are rarely any incisive passes on.

We have far too many players without pace throughout the side, and one decent forward. Thats hardly great team building, and the current manager has had 3 windows to address this but we are still seeing the same faults now to when he first arrived.

:top marks

Capt Mainwaring
01-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Spot on from the OP

The lack of pace and drive from the midfield is the key to why we are extremely poor a home when other teams easily out work and out pace us, whilst in away games we can be a bit more effective sometimes by using similar set up and hitting on the break.

Fenlon only has a Plan A both in formation and tactics and is easily out-thought by other SPL managers. We are far too predictable and operate mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. Tippy tappy square and backward passes are fine if the passer then makes a move into space and the ball is worked forward, but just like Yogi's team we have to many players who pass but don't move. So the ball eventually has to be played long ( and usually way above the heads of the forwards) and the move breaks down.

I recall David Pleat referring to "standing still" football. We're a prime example of that

Craig_in_Prague
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
RP: 'Pat Fenlon is a winner'

lol

sahib
01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Pat needs to put his hands up and admit he hasn't got it
Should have been emptied in May

There is no point in making apologies the fans or anyone. He just needs to rethink his squad in the summer and a wee bit of luck would help too.

Weir7
01-04-2013, 12:36 PM

In mogga's first game in the water logged pitch V Vetra, you saw after less than 2 weeks training the style of footie from Blooby's was night and day. Passing it on the carpet.

hibeesjoe
01-04-2013, 12:47 PM

If that's the case when the time comes for a new manager we need somebody that won't take any BS from Petrie/board level all the way down to the players. It's hard to accept that with all the managers and players we have had over the past few season this mediocrity attitude still exists.

I reckon Pat needs till Xmas before the alarm bells start ringing. Humped out the cup by Falkirk and a post split slump and he might not get the time though.

Stringer
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Your right its time for rod to sign a quick player! Gareth Bale maybe!

You don't need that much pace to win in the spl! The major problem is a player who can play in behind the striker. Pat has bought Craig who is a natural number 10. Next season I want to see a 4 2 3 1.

Hopefully the front 4 will be.

Cairney. Craig. Harris

Griffiths/ Caldwell

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 01:01 PM
It's hard to accept that with all the managers and players we have had over the past few season this mediocrity attitude still exists.

It certainly is hard to accept, it would appear to still be the case though. The St Johnstone game at ER seemed to be quite meekly accepted by all and sundry when in fact it was nothing short of a disgrace, which we were promised would never happen again after THAT game. Probably chuck the 2nd half at Fir Park a couple of weeks ago in there too.