PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

brog
31-03-2013, 11:33 AM
What is latest re his injury? With 9 goals conceded in 5 games he's missed has he ( like many other Hibs players ) become a better player since his injury? :wink: Personally, I've always had a lot of time for him, my main criticism being he hasn't always made full use of his physical attributes. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

Billy Whizz
31-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Started training last week but wasn't allowed any contact. Starts training with the 1st team tomorrow again and should hopefully be available for Parkhead on Saturday

Aldo
31-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Started training last week but wasn't allowed any contact. Starts training with the 1st team tomorrow again and should hopefully be available for Parkhead on Saturday

Wouldn't risk him against Smellic but keep him for the semi V Falkirk.

Think it shows his absence has been greatly missed.

Onceinawhile
31-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't risk him against Smellic but keep him for the semi V Falkirk.

Think it shows his absence has been greatly missed.

Needs game time though surely?

Aldo
31-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Needs game time though surely?

Agreed but surely next weekend will be too soon. How knows?? I do know we've missed him at the back and was our best defender until his injury.

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Agreed but surely next weekend will be too soon. How knows?? I do know we've missed him at the back and was our best defender until his injury.

Wont play next weekend, too soon for him.

scoopyboy
31-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Under 20s run out against Hearts on Tuesday?

Some game time at Parkhead on Saturday?

Billy Whizz
31-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Is the game at Linlithgow on Tuesday night?

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Dont see how some game time could be plausable, not as if you are going to bring him on for the last 20mins or start him and take him off? We will go with a CH pairing that will play the 90 as we should be doing.

scoopyboy
31-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Is the game at Linlithgow on Tuesday night?

Prestonfield

Aldo
31-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I still think he'll make his return against Falkirk??

scoopyboy
31-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Dont see how some game time could be plausable, not as if you are going to bring him on for the last 20mins or start him and take him off? We will go with a CH pairing that will play the 90 as we should be doing.

Some game time against Hearts in the 20s on Tuesday, if he manages that he could be on the bench on Saturday.

If McGivern or McPake get injured or are on a booking then he could come on as a sub.

Do you think that could be plausible?

Apart from that does it really matter about giving players time at Parkhead, its not as if it really matters.

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Some game time against Hearts in the 20s on Tuesday, if he manages that he could be on the bench on Saturday.

If McGivern or McPake get injured or are on a booking then he could come on as a sub.

Apart from that does it really matter about giving players time at Parkhead, its not as if it really matters.

Yes I do, other than that I wouldnt be factoring in some time for him just for times sake.

How does it not really matter? If we are winning would you be saying the same thing?

FWIW if we are getting a hiding then giving him a run out to get his fitness up ahead of the SF probably wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

scoopyboy
31-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Yes I do, other than that I wouldnt be factoring in some time for him just for times sake.

How does it not really matter? If we are winning would you be saying the same thing?

FWIW if we are getting a hiding then giving him a run out to get his fitness up ahead of the SF probably wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

My thoughts were along the lines of the following;

PF wants a back four of Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern.

I don't think he would want to throw Hanlon into the semi without a run out.

We won't make the top 6 despite it being mathematically possible, if it was likely / possible I wouldn't have made the suggestion of Parkhead game time.

The Falkirk game is more important than the Celtic match.

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 02:04 PM
My thoughts were along the lines of the following;

PF wants a back four of Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern.

I don't think he would want to throw Hanlon into the semi without a run out.

We won't make the top 6 despite it being mathematically possible, if it was likely / possible I wouldn't have made the suggestion of Parkhead game time.

The Falkirk game is more important than the Celtic match.

Yeah I totally agree with you mate and thats very much how I see it aswell. In reality we will be bottom 6 and all we have to focus on is the cup now. However, since it is still possible I hold some hope, hence giving him a run out just for fitness wouldnt be my choice. I suspect both games may be to quck for him anyway but you never know. Hes had a week in the sun and some rest and is now back in training so may well see him sooner than I think.

Aldo
31-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah I totally agree with you mate and thats very much how I see it aswell. In reality we will be bottom 6 and all we have to focus on is the cup now. However, since it is still possible I hold some hope, hence giving him a run out just for fitness wouldnt be my choice. I suspect both games may be to quck for him anyway but you never know. Hes had a week in the sun and some rest and is now back in training so may well see him sooner than I think.

Have to remember he's just a young lad... Maybe not fitness being the problem but match fitness. Maybe last 20 at Darkheid to give him a run out.

scoopyboy
31-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Yeah, week in the sun, finished his medication, week on the bike and then running and kicking last week.

Full contact as of tomorrow so he is getting there.

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Have to remember he's just a young lad... Maybe not fitness being the problem but match fitness. Maybe last 20 at Darkheid to give him a run out.

Yeah, week in the sun, finished his medication, week on the bike and then running and kicking last week.

Full contact as of tomorrow so he is getting there.

True true, if he is over the injury and its just a case of match fitness i think a run out for the 20's this week would do him the world of good. Fitness shouldnt be a problem I suppose as hes quite a fit young lad, match fitness as you say is the key. I just feel Darkheid may be to much for him as he will probably have a right busy afternoon and would rather get him a couple of u20 games in then start the SF.

Whatever happens he will be a welcome addition back in the team, hes come on a lot this season and would like to see the back 4 Scoopy stated above as think most would agree thats our strongest, when fit.

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2013, 02:16 PM

:agree: I'd start him in both games, then see how he goes. We need a back 4 of Clancy McPake Hanlon and McGivern for the semi. I'd rest McGivern against Celtic along with 3 or 4 others, as you say the Celtic game hardly matters in the grand scheme of things.

AlbertK86
31-03-2013, 02:39 PM
:agree: I'd start him in both games, then see how he goes. We need a back 4 of Clancy McPake Hanlon and McGivern for the semi. I'd rest McGivern against Celtic along with 3 or 4 others, as you say the Celtic game hardly matters in the grand scheme of things.

Agree we need to change Lewis from LB

ICT targeted him yesterday and put high balls up to the boy Draper who is 6ft 4 and brushed him aside as if he wasn't there

Was hoping after we lost first goal that Pat would swap back 4 around putting Lewis to RB put McGivern out onto Draper and Clancy into CH

Anyway hopefully get Hanlon in to allow MCGivern back out to LB

Aldo
31-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I think it has shown in the last few weeks how the back 4, including McPake has missed PH. Our best defender this season IMHO.

I'd better watch what I'm saying cos I'm getting it tight the day on other threads. ;-)

Steve-O
31-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Sorry but what age is Hanlon? He was starting to play when I left Scotland...in 2007! Surely he no longer gets the 'young lad' tag??

BEEJ
31-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Sorry but what age is Hanlon? He was starting to play when I left Scotland...in 2007! Surely he no longer gets the 'young lad' tag??
He was 23 in January, I believe.

Steve-O
31-03-2013, 03:04 PM
So, not exactly retirement age, but no longer can any 'just a young lad' excuse be made for him.

hibee19
31-03-2013, 03:20 PM
I think it has shown in the last few weeks how the back 4, including McPake has missed PH. Our best defender this season IMHO.

I'd better watch what I'm saying cos I'm getting it tight the day on other threads. ;-)

I wasn't keen on him coming into this season but he's become the most solid CH we've had in a long time. Personally I feel like he should be in line for a Scotland call-up and may attract a decent transfer fee if he has another good year.

Up The Bracket
31-03-2013, 03:59 PM
The last few weeks show how vital Hanlon is to the time, it also shows McGivern is a LB not a CB. He gets a lot of stick but he is a very good player.

Aldo
31-03-2013, 03:59 PM
So, not exactly retirement age, but no longer can any 'just a young lad' excuse be made for him.

Steve o I am referring to his natural fitness as he is a young man... Nothing more.

Steve-O
31-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Fair do's

Alfred E Newman
31-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I think our best central defensive pairing is Hanlon and McGivern. Playing 4 natural central defenders across the back only seems to make us less effective going forward. I thought Clancey was poor yesterday and he also hardly crossed the half way line. At least the much malined Maybery gets up and down the park as does Stevenson. Add the 4 defenders to the 3 defensive midfield players that we field each week and it is no surprise we are grim to watch.

hibbysam
31-03-2013, 06:19 PM
I think our best central defensive pairing is Hanlon and McGivern. Playing 4 natural central defenders across the back only seems to make us less effective going forward. I thought Clancey was poor yesterday and he also hardly crossed the half way line. At least the much malined Maybery gets up and down the park as does Stevenson. Add the 4 defenders to the 3 defensive midfield players that we field each week and it is no surprise we are grim to watch.

You couldn't be more from the truth when talking about us being less effective going forward when we play Clancy, Mcpake, Hanlon, McGivern.

They have only played together 6 times, 4 clean sheets, 2 goals conceded, including a 3-0 and a 4-0 win... I think it allows our midfield to worry about going forward rather than be scared of what is behind them... When either one of them has been missing we have only kept 5 clean sheets in 26 games...

Which is why I have said for a long time, those four with Williams when fit are probably the best back 5 in the league, but weve been extremely unlucky with injuries throughout to 3 of them at least!

blackpoolhibs
31-03-2013, 06:27 PM
You couldn't be more from the truth when talking about us being less effective going forward when we play Clancy, Mcpake, Hanlon, McGivern.

They have only played together 6 times, 4 clean sheets, 2 goals conceded, including a 3-0 and a 4-0 win... I think it allows our midfield to worry about going forward rather than be scared of what is behind them... When either one of them has been missing we have only kept 5 clean sheets in 26 games...

Which is why I have said for a long time, those four with Williams when fit are probably the best back 5 in the league, but weve been extremely unlucky with injuries throughout to 3 of them at least!

We have been unlucky, we have had either 1 or sometimes 2 out for long periods of this season. Its in my opinion the main reason we have not made the top 6 this season, not bad referee decisions but long injuries to our defenders.:agree:

Fergus52
31-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Surely you mean outwith Celtic?

hibbysam
31-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Surely you mean outwith Celtic?

No, I don't...

There best back 5 includes Izaguirre whom I don't rate one bit, Forster who after watching numerous times this season I still don't understand the hype over, granted Matthews is a very good full back, I don't rate Mulgrew as a Centre back and Wilson is there other centre half... I don't believe that is any better than the 5 I mentioned... The game we played them at Easter Road, we cut them open time and time again in the first half. All about opinions mind but I firmly believe with a settled back five of Williams, Clancy, McPake, Hanlon, McGivern, We would be challenging for, if not second with Motherwell. We have been unlucky that most teams will play 30 games with there best 5 and 8 without, while we play 8 with our best and 30 without...