PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sunderland - O'Neill Out, Di Canio In

Thecat23
30-03-2013, 09:35 PM
As it says on the tin, Sunderland sack O'Neill.

patch1875
30-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Harsh

Thecat23
30-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Harsh

That's what I was thinking!

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2013, 09:37 PM
How far is Sunderland from Hartlepool?

Nuitdelune
30-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Ridiculous

darwenhibby
30-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Possible replacement for Fenlon?

brianmc
30-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Harsh

Harsh how? They are plummeting towards relegation, odds of 40/1 for the drop a few weeks ago were down to 3/1 on Friday.... Bookies usually know the score

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Successor will be appointed in the coming days! Wonder who's been lined up behind O'Neill's back? :wink:

Sir David Gray
30-03-2013, 09:50 PM
What exactly are they hoping that a new manager will be able to achieve in the last few weeks of the season that O'Neill wouldn't have managed? :confused:

O'Neill will get another job very soon.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Successor will be appointed in the coming days! Wonder who's been lined up behind O'Neill's back? :wink:

Could it be Yogi? :wink:

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Could it be Yogi? :wink:

Or Gary C from Jamboland?

cleanyman
30-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Chequebook manager.

Would struggle at any club in Bolivia.

Speedy
30-03-2013, 10:03 PM
What exactly are they hoping that a new manager will be able to achieve in the last few weeks of the season that O'Neill wouldn't have managed? :confused:

O'Neill will get another job very soon.

A couple of wins?

Steve20
30-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Harsh

What?!!!! That Sunderland squad should be nowhere near the relegation zone. It was only a matter of time before the overrated O'Neill was sacked from a job.

leither17
30-03-2013, 10:10 PM
What?!!!! That Sunderland squad should be nowhere near the relegation zone. It was only a matter of time before the overrated O'Neill was sacked from a job.

Newcastle fan?

Steve20
30-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Newcastle fan?

Don't support an English team. Just think he's done a very poor job.

leither17
30-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Don't support an English team. Just think he's done a very poor job.

You don't change your manager at this time of the season but losing fletch and catermole plus what you are saying you can see why he has got the bullet

Speedy
30-03-2013, 10:21 PM
You don't change your manager at this time of the season but losing fletch and catermole plus what you are saying you can see why he has got the bullet

Why not?

He's not won in the last 7 games so what is there to suggest he will with 7 games to go? Also 1 game before the derby so it sounds reasonable to me.

steakbake
30-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Think he knew it was coming.

Iggy Pope
30-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Just seen their run-in of games on MOTD and it is tough. Not looking good for them.

iwasthere1972
30-03-2013, 10:58 PM
That Fletch guy is a jink. First he gets Burnley relegated then Wolves. Looks like Sunderland will be a hat trick.

Hiber-nation
30-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Yesterday's man. Long ball doesn't work now.

silverhibee
30-03-2013, 11:10 PM

Calderwood.

Going there for sweeties. :greengrin

J-C
30-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Just on SSN a new manager to be announced by monday

iwasthere1972
30-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Can't think who they would be appointing within a couple of days. Alan Curbishley has been touting himself a fair bit recently and only wants to manage in the EPL. He's available but even if it was him he would know that there's a good chance that they would be in the Championship next season. Trying to think who is available and has EPL experience but it's getting late.

Answers on a postcard to.

LeighLoyal
31-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Pretty harsh. I think they'll go down with Reading and QPR.

Speedy
31-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Can't think who they would be appointing within a couple of days. Alan Curbishley has been touting himself a fair bit recently and only wants to manage in the EPL. He's available but even if it was him he would know that there's a good chance that they would be in the Championship next season. Trying to think who is available and has EPL experience but it's getting late.

McLaren is favourite.

iwasthere1972
31-03-2013, 12:09 AM
McLaren is favourite.

Ah well they're doomed in that case.

hibbycha
31-03-2013, 06:52 AM
from wot ma laddie told me this morning its going 2 be di matteo :fibber:

bigwheel
31-03-2013, 07:15 AM
O'Neill was viewed by Celtic fans as something akin to a management messiah, his record since then has been poor, particularly with the money he has had at his disposal.... Can't see him getting a bigger job than he has had now...a reputation of the wane..

weecounty hibby
31-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Chequebook manager.

Totally agree. Never rated him, even at Celtic. Been found out big time at Villa and now Sunderland

J-C
31-03-2013, 08:46 AM
O'Neill was viewed by Celtic fans as something akin to a management messiah, his record since then has been poor, particularly with the money he has had at his disposal.... Can't see him getting a bigger job than he has had now...a reputation of the wane..

His management record is poor since Robertson decided not to join him again as his assistant, could be something in that.

ian cruise
31-03-2013, 08:49 AM
His management record is poor since Robertson decided not to join him again as his assistant, could be something in that.

That's the very point I was about to make. It's well known on will left all his training to Watford and Robertson, usually with O'Neill showing up for last 5/10mins. The fact this team don't look like the sort if team you normally get when O'Neill is manager has a lot to do with Robertson not being there I'd say.

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2013, 09:03 AM

So you watched MOTD last night too :wink:

hibsbollah
31-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Did he play a 352 with wingbacks at Celtc?

Mac
31-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Gutted, it would have been heavenly to see the mackems relegated and O'Neill as the manager, overated little runt!!

At almost every club he managed he had spent more than any other Manager, previously when he was about to get found out he walks away, this time the bullet caught him in time!!

Zazu62
31-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Wasn't Steven fletcher relegated with wolves and burnley? Looking like he could make it 3 in a row now tough fixtures for Sunderland in the upcoming games

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Mclaren, Di Matteo, Brian Mcdermott, Curbishley, Mcleish what's Avram Grant upto these days?

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Wasn't Steven fletcher relegated with wolves and burnley? Looking like he could make it 3 in a row now tough fixtures for Sunderland in the upcoming games

Yeah he's a jinx lol.

I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that without Fletches goals Sunderland would be rock bottom of the EPL?

Treadstone
31-03-2013, 09:43 AM

He was at Wolves for two years before they were relegated. If you do well in the EPL you always get your move.

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Di Canio Favourite

VickMackie
31-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah he's a jinx lol.

I'm sure I read somewhere the other day that without Fletches goals Sunderland would be rock bottom of the EPL?

I'm sure I think anyone that says this type of thing shouldn't talk about football.

Without messi's goals Barca wouldn't be winning la liga. Rvp goals Man U wouldn't be winning the EPL etc

Treadstone
31-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Di Canio Favourite

No wonder bookies are rich. Pick the flavour of the month, install him as your favourite and take all the money you can on him. Di Canio is a basket case and a largely stable club will not appoint him.

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm sure I think anyone that says this type of thing shouldn't talk about football.

Without messi's goals Barca wouldn't be winning la liga. Rvp goals Man U wouldn't be winning the EPL etc

:agree: If the goalkeeper hadn't have made that save.............................................. .

Boyle89
31-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Did he have money at Leicester? Celtic-money. Villa-money and when it dried up he was offski. Sunderland-money and he's f'd it. Not as good as people make out.

iwasthere1972
31-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Paulo Di Canio on his way to Sunderland.

SmashinGlass
31-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Just heard that on Sky. Interesting one.

J-C
31-03-2013, 02:39 PM
So you watched MOTD last night too :wink:

Nope, was doing something better, hate MOTD and the knobs on it, no think it was talksport I heard this mentioned, O'Neil is a passion manager, Ferguson at Man U takes little part in the training but he's always has superb no.2's around him, they get the best out of their players by man management, you still have to train them tho.

Treadstone
31-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Egg on ma face!

Ellis Short no as smart as he is made oot in the papers.

NOLA
31-03-2013, 04:54 PM
O"neill out Fenlon in

allezsauzee
31-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Aston Villa finished 16th the season before he took over, they finished 10th in his first season and then 6th the three seasons after that. Since he left them they've finished 9th then 16th. The reason he left Aston Villa was that he was forced to sell his best players and didn't get money to replace them. I'm not sure how that qualifies him as a failure or a cheque book manager with them

iwasthere1972
31-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Di Canio is a fruit and nutcase. He'll be kicking ass when he gets in there and anything else that doesn't move.

It's a strange appointment and I can't imagine that the appointment of Di Canio will be getting the fans juices flowing.

Ah well time will tell.

Haymaker
31-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Aston Villa finished 16th the season before he took over, they finished 10th in his first season and then 6th the three seasons after that. Since he left them they've finished 9th then 16th. The reason he left Aston Villa was that he was forced to sell his best players and didn't get money to replace them. I'm not sure how that qualifies him as a failure or a cheque book manager with them

The Chairman decided that, with a wage bill of, allegedly, £90m Martin O'Neil should have had Villa performing better. He wanted to spend more on a replacement yet the club wasn't heading towards 5th or CL.

yeezus.
31-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I actually like Martin O'Neill and I'm surprised at Sunderland's league position this season. I remember how well they played when he took over last year but that could have been the so called "new manager syndrome".

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Chequebook manager.

Why not list all of the chequebook managers in the premiership.

lapsedhibee
31-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Why not list all of the chequebook managers in the premiership.

Wouldn't you think sponsors Barclay's'd be phasing them all out and replacing them with BACS managers?

3pm
31-03-2013, 08:34 PM
The mad one has been appointed.

3pm
31-03-2013, 08:40 PM
David Milliband has resigned from the board citing PDC's politcal views as the reason!!

Jonnyboy
31-03-2013, 08:55 PM
McLaren is favourite.

Let himself down on interview apparently as his Mackem accent was so poor :wink:

marinello59
31-03-2013, 08:56 PM
David Milliband has resigned from the board citing PDC's politcal views as the reason!!
Well done him. Di Canio is an odious git.

Stringer
31-03-2013, 09:02 PM
No wonder bookies are rich. Pick the flavour of the month, install him as your favourite and take all the money you can on him. Di Canio is a basket case and a largely stable club will not appoint him.

:violin:

Biggie
31-03-2013, 09:04 PM
That's a ****ing strange one that.....di Canio ?!?....

Haymaker
31-03-2013, 09:09 PM
As a West Ham sympathiser, I have fond memories of Di Canio. However as a person, the guys a ****.

McIntosh
31-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Di Canio is a fascist of the lowest order - his appointment is utterly disgraceful

hibsbollah
31-03-2013, 09:17 PM
David Miliband resigns from the Mackems board as a consequence of Il Duce's appointment.

jdships
31-03-2013, 09:23 PM

Watch this space every day for the next year - he will have been sacked too :greengrin

Eyrie
31-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm not convinced about di Canio as a manager, but I am convinced about him as a person so Miliband has done the right thing.

NORTHERNHIBBY
31-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Wonder what this appointment has done to Sunderland's odds to go down? Can't think that they will have got longer somehow.

lucky
31-03-2013, 10:56 PM
No place in football for fascists like Di Canio. Hope Sunderland get relegated. Shocking decision to allow him near running a club.

monktonharp
31-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Paulio Di Canio to be the new manager, at Sunderland? can hardly believe this, given the fact that he has a history of saluting, like Mussileni style ,with his facist views!. Sunderland are a club, which is steeped in the working class values of the north east of england are they not? cant see this sitting well with the older fans of that famous club, but hey, who am I ?. values and principles seem to just go out the window these days and if he can steer them into the premier league for another season, then maybe that is all that their fans need.as said,............who am I? where's macca

Bishop Hibee
01-04-2013, 12:20 AM
I did a bit of work with the brother of Hilary Armstrong who was a Labour MP for North West Durham. Big Sunderland fans who will be cheesed off big time with this appointment. I see David Milliband has resigned from the board too.

If he doesn't keep the Black Cats up he'll be favourite for the first to get the sack in the Championship next season. I wouldn't want him anywhere near ER due to his fascist views.

hibee_nation
01-04-2013, 12:49 AM
If PF wins the Scottish Cup he can goose step down Easter Road whilst singing Horst Wessel Lied :greengrin

Hibercelona
01-04-2013, 02:39 AM
As well as being a facist, he has the face of a complete c**k.

Quite like Sunderland, but their board go down in my estimation with this appointment.

NOLA
01-04-2013, 03:23 AM
If PF wins the Scottish Cup he can goose step down Easter Road whilst singing Horst Wessel Lied :greengrin
So will I ;)

Eyrie
01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Just read in today's Scotsman that Miliband was on £125k a year for fifteen days work as a Sunderland director, which is a nice gravy train if you can get on it.

Yet most of our board are doing it for nothing more than their love of the club.

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Just read in today's Scotsman that Miliband was on £125k a year for fifteen days work as a Sunderland director, which is a nice gravy train if you can get on it.

Yet most of our board are doing it for nothing more than their love of the club.

Call me cynical, but this was a good excuse for DM to get out.

He was about to head to New York to join Thunderbirds, remember.

Skanko79
01-04-2013, 09:49 AM
I like Di Canio, Done a cracking job at Swindon.

Good luck to him, i think he will keep them up.

Eyrie
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Call me cynical, but this was a good excuse for DM to get out.

He was about to head to New York to join Thunderbirds, remember.
True, but he'd said that he would stay on as a Sunderland director when he announced he was changing his name to Tracey. Don't think any of us would blame him staying for that sort of money.

I gave him credit for the resignation just as readily as I’m ridiculing that pay packet.

Treadstone
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Miliband no stranger to the gravy train. Even his gardener knew he was taking the p***.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5293729/David-Miliband-challenged-by-gardener-MPs-expenses.html

ballengeich
01-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Sunderland now to be known as the Blackshirt Cats.

NOLA
01-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Sunderland now to be known as the Blackshirt Cats.

Beat me to it :)

Leishy1995
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
The fascist left Swindon in financial turmoil after spending all their money. The goalkeeper fiasco was horrible and embarrassing.

I hope it fails.

Lucius Apuleius
01-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Don't really see what a man's politics have to do with his job. Might not believe in the same things as him but he has a right to believe them.

marinello59
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Don't really see what a man's politics have to do with his job. Might not believe in the same things as him but he has a right to believe them.

Would you be happy to have a Hibs manager singing the praises of the BNP during elections?

lucky
01-04-2013, 02:46 PM

100% wrong on this one. What your employer make of you if you held fascist views and publicly declared them.

Lucius Apuleius
01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Would you be happy to have a Hibs manager singing the praises of the BNP during elections?

I wouldn't be happy as I don't particularly like fascism, however I would respect his right to have the political views he does.

100% wrong on this one. What your employer make of you if you held fascist views and publicly declared them.

I work for an Italian company, it is over run with fascists in my opinion :greengrin

Future17
01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Paulio Di Canio to be the new manager, at Sunderland? can hardly believe this, given the fact that he has a history of saluting, like Mussileni style ,with his facist views!. Sunderland are a club, which is steeped in the working class values of the north east of england are they not? cant see this sitting well with the older fans of that famous club, but hey, who am I ?. values and principles seem to just go out the window these days and if he can steer them into the premier league for another season, then maybe that is all that their fans need.as said,............who am I? where's macca

I think this is an example of one of the problems you risk when you welcome investment from sources who have little grasp of the traditions of the Club.

I guess a lot of it come down to whether or not you think there is more to football than winning games.

hibsbollah
01-04-2013, 03:50 PM

Its an interesting question (and one thats probably best for The Holy Ground :greengrin) but is PDCs politics his own business? He has said he's NOT a racist, he is a fascist who believes in state control over the economy rather than unrestrained free market capitalism, he believes in a culturally distinct Italy, state funding of public works, strong line on crime and punishment and likes 'snappy' clothes and art deco thirties architecture. The roman salute has connotations that we cant deal with in this country, but the policies he supports are probably very popular. Fascism was a successful movement in the 20th century (Greece, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Argentina, South Korea, Japan et al). As long as he's not oppressing any particular group maybe lefties like me are wrong to get all huffy that he's a successful figure in the public eye?

CropleyWasGod
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Its an interesting question (and one thats probably best for The Holy Ground :greengrin) but is PDCs politics his own business? He has said he's NOT a racist, he is a fascist who believes in state control over the economy rather than unrestrained free market capitalism, he believes in a culturally distinct Italy, state funding of public works, strong line on crime and punishment and likes 'snappy' clothes and art deco thirties architecture. The roman salute has connotations that we cant deal with in this country, but the policies he supports are probably very popular. Fascism was a successful movement in the 20th century (Greece, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Argentina, South Korea, Japan et al). As long as he's not oppressing any particular group maybe lefties like me are wrong to get all huffy that he's a successful figure in the public eye?

One also wonders if there would the same reaction were he a card-carrying communist.

hibsbollah
01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
One also wonders if there would the same reaction were he a card-carrying communist.

:agree: One of the reasons i always had a soft spot for Socrates was his left wing views. Hes probably no more or less extreme than DiCanio.

monktonharp
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Don't really see what a man's politics have to do with his job. Might not believe in the same things as him but he has a right to believe them.I think calling facism a form of politics, is taking it to the n'th degree.facism denies free speech. many inhabitants of african and south american countries could explain it better than me, but would you be quite happy to see british army sarecens parading our streets looking for people of a left wing view? . Chilean citizens may be the best to ask..

Spike Mandela
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm going to the Chelsea v Sunderland game on Sunday and was disappointed that Fletcher and Cole wers injured but this appointment should add a bit of spice.:greengrin

(((Fergus)))
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Di Canio is a fascist of the lowest order - his appointment is utterly disgraceful

Is he? What are his views?

hibsbollah
01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm going to the Chelsea v Sunderland game on Sunday and was disappointed that Fletcher and Cole wers injured but this appointment should add a bit of spice.:greengrin

The last Sunderland game i was at was v birmingham city when Murphy had just signed for city, the mackems were singing The Red Flag :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I like Di Canio, Done a cracking job at Swindon.

Good luck to him, i think he will keep them up.

:agree: I like him too. Still haven't forgotten his great sporting gesture of catching the ball when Everton keeper Paul Gerrard lay injured. Great to see a character managing in the EPL.

Hainan Hibs
01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I think calling facism a form of politics, is taking it to the n'th degree.facism denies free speech. many inhabitants of african and south american countries could explain it better than me, but would you be quite happy to see british army sarecens parading our streets looking for people of a left wing view? . Chilean citizens may be the best to ask..

At least the trains would run on time:jmcp:

Sir David Gray
01-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Yep. :agree:

I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Unfortunately, in this country, there's not enough people who go along with this statement and there's a lot of people who try to suppress opinions that they don't like and disagree with.

As long as Di Canio is not threatening any particular groups of people with violence or anything like that then he's entitled to hold his own personal views.

I'm just not convinced that he's going to be a success as a manager for Sunderland and I would be more concerned about that, if I was a Sunderland fan, than I would be with his political views. As much as some of his antics at Swindon were entertaining, I don't think he would be allowed to get away with the same sort of stuff at a Premiership club.

Lucius Apuleius
02-04-2013, 05:15 AM
I think calling facism a form of politics, is taking it to the n'th degree.facism denies free speech. many inhabitants of african and south american countries could explain it better than me, but would you be quite happy to see british army sarecens parading our streets looking for people of a left wing view? . Chilean citizens may be the best to ask..

fas·cism
[fash-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
1.( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.
2.( sometimes initial capital letter ) the philosophy, principles, or methods of fascism.
3.( initial capital letter ) a political movement that employs the principles and methods of fascism, especially the one established by Mussolini in Italy 1922–43.

Also not sure why you are asking me if I would be happy to see the army hunting down left wingers?

Beefster
02-04-2013, 06:20 AM

I think you're confusing support for freedom of thought with support for fascism.

PeeJay
02-04-2013, 06:34 AM
Sunderland chief executive, Margaret Byrne, said: "It's been very disappointing to read some of the reaction to Paolo's appointment. To accuse him now ... of being a racist or having fascist sympathies, is insulting not only to him but to the integrity of this football club."

The Italian told the Italian news agency ANSA in 2005 "I am a fascist, not a racist". He's also a great admirer of Benito M. ...

So he knows he's a fascist, we know he's a fascist, BUT Sunderland apparently doesn't know - or the club doesn't want to know, perhaps?

One has to also wonder if it is OK to be a fascist in charge of a lower league club, but not at a higher league one (in light of the fact this is only now surfacing as a "problem"?

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't want him in charge of my club, why Sunderland should is beyond me...

blackpoolhibs
02-04-2013, 06:50 AM
This all seems a little hypocritical of the media, they knew all this when he was a player, they knew all this when he was manager at Swindon.

Now he's taken over at Sunderland, its suddenly a huge problem?

Aldo
02-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Thought he was an excellent player ( big big attitude) remember him throwing the rattle out the pram and not getting a free kick whilst playing for west ham. Walking over and sitting down at half way line, scoring that excellent scissor kick style volley, Everton keeper gesture, pushing the ref. did he not man handle the boy Clarke at Swindon.

He's a character Alrite one I wouldn't fancy down ER way.

There is no getting away from his previous actions hence the reason the boy Milliband resigned.

Wonder what the Sunderland fans will make if him??

monktonharp
03-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I think you're confusing support for freedom of thought with support for fascism.you're certainly confusing me. facism, is not a form of anything. it is a way /means of repressing people who don't "think" the way that facists do. it oppresses people who are otherwise, of a socialist view.

monktonharp
03-04-2013, 10:18 PM
This all seems a little hypocritical of the media, they knew all this when he was a player, they knew all this when he was manager at Swindon.

Now he's taken over at Sunderland, its suddenly a huge problem?bollocks.I have previously stated,that I was gobsmacked when it was announced re-his appointment, to a club like Sunderland. not because they are EPL lower etchelons, more to do with the club's affinity with the working class of the north.this was reiterated a day later, by the ex-leader of the Durham miners, demanding his removal or the return of the Wearside Colliery union banner which has stood proudly inside the grounds of SAFC since the closure of the said colliery where the stadium of light now sits.

Iggy Pope
03-04-2013, 10:49 PM

Now he's taken over at Sunderland, its suddenly a huge problem?

People at Sunderland have made it a problem, whereas the people at Swindon evidently never gave a toss. And neither did those fans of West Ham United (evidently having never heard of Cable Street on their own fahking manor!) or those denizens of our beloved East End of Glasgow.

Sunderland of all places, is not a happy bedmate for a fascist. The club has always been a club that knows it's roots (like a lot of English clubs) and its support continues to do so. I suggest anyone in doubt of this pays a visit to the SoL and has a look at the entrance mural.

The Daily Mail despots earlier in the thread may very well belive he is entitled to his views, but so, in turn, are those on Wearside who want him to get to ****. And there are many. If the Wearside miners get their banner back, I know how that would feel to me were it a Hibernian thing.

Great Britain should have backed the likes of Cormack and Mosely in the 30s - then Lucius and Falkirkloyalist and the like would have had opposition free-forums to vent all this 'free-thinking' by now! We could have carefully allocated coloured stars in place of smiley bollox faces.

surreyhibbie
03-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Sunderland of all places, is not a happy bedmate for a fascist. The club has always been a club that knows it's roots (like a lot of English clubs) and its support continues to do so. I suggest anyone in doubt of this pays a visit to the SoL and has a look at the entrance mural.

:agree:

Interesting article in theMirror today about the Sunderland men who went to Spain with the International Brigade to fight Franco and his Fascists. Not surprising the locals are incensed by this appointment.

Personally, I agree with them 100%

Seem to remember he said he had "his own thoughts" about the Holocaust as well at one time.

LeighLoyal
03-04-2013, 11:08 PM
The OTT English media are just baiting him to sell papers. I like pdc. Fantastic player and a fiery passionate manager, watch sunderland survive!

lucky
03-04-2013, 11:22 PM
When he was linked with the Hibs job prior to PF being appointed I stated I did not want a fascist at Hibs. Those who are defending his despicable political views would you want a fascist as manager of Hibernian FC.

Bighoose
03-04-2013, 11:29 PM
fas·cism
[fash-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
1.( sometimes initial capital letter ) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism....

Sounds like the definition of a successful football manager?

Im like most on here. Don't agree with his views but was it a problem when he was Swindon Manager?

Lucius Apuleius
04-04-2013, 05:11 AM
People at Sunderland have made it a problem, whereas the people at Swindon evidently never gave a toss. And neither did those fans of West Ham United (evidently having never heard of Cable Street on their own fahking manor!) or those denizens of our beloved East End of Glasgow.

The Daily Mail despots earlier in the thread may very well belive he is entitled to his views, but so, in turn, are those on Wearside who want him to get to ****. And there are many. If the Wearside miners get their banner back, I know how that would feel to me were it a Hibernian thing.

Great Britain should have backed the likes of Cormack and Mosely in the 30s - then Lucius and Falkirkloyalist and the like would have had opposition free-forums to vent all this 'free-thinking' by now! We could have carefully allocated coloured stars in place of smiley bollox faces.

So you reckon my statement that a man should have a right to believe what he wants and by extension free speech, even though, and please check out the next wee bit, do not believe in his policies even if I knew what they were, is somehow wrong? I take it you would prefer the opposite then? "Daily Mail despots", :LOL: If only you feckn knew. :wink:

Iggy Pope
04-04-2013, 06:12 AM
So you reckon my statement that a man should have a right to believe what he wants and by extension free speech, even though, and please check out the next wee bit, do not believe in his policies even if I knew what they were, is somehow wrong? I take it you would prefer the opposite then? "Daily Mail despots", :LOL: If only you feckn knew. :wink:

Well, yes.
You don't believe iin his policies even though you don't know what they are?

What are you blethering about man?

Lucius Apuleius
04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Well, yes.
You don't believe iin his policies even though you don't know what they are?

What are you blethering about man?

I am advocating the right of free speech, man.

Beefster
04-04-2013, 06:29 AM
you're certainly confusing me. facism, is not a form of anything. it is a way /means of repressing people who don't "think" the way that facists do. it oppresses people who are otherwise, of a socialist view.

You certainly seem confused. I didn't offer an opinion on fascism.

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
bollocks.I have previously stated,that I was gobsmacked when it was announced re-his appointment, to a club like Sunderland. not because they are EPL lower etchelons, more to do with the club's affinity with the working class of the north.this was reiterated a day later, by the ex-leader of the Durham miners, demanding his removal or the return of the Wearside Colliery union banner which has stood proudly inside the grounds of SAFC since the closure of the said colliery where the stadium of light now sits.

Do you work in the media?

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2013, 08:09 AM
When he was linked with the Hibs job prior to PF being appointed I stated I did not want a fascist at Hibs. Those who are defending his despicable political views would you want a fascist as manager of Hibernian FC.

I couldn't care less, I would judge him on his results on the pitch not his views off it.

greenginger
04-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Chilean citizens seem to be OK just now, perhaps residents of Cuba or Venezuela might have more current views on oppression.

I never understand why so many people consider dictatorship of a right wing junta so vile yet a left wing government with the same restrictions is seen by some as a people's paradise.

Just to clarify, I do not support Fascism or Socialism ( of the National variety )

Skanko79
04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
:agree: I like him too. Still haven't forgotten his great sporting gesture of catching the ball when Everton keeper Paul Gerrard lay injured. Great to see a character managing in the EPL.

True, you cant tarnish the guy for one mistake, we all make them.

Nobody gave a toss when he got the swindon job so why all the fuss now?

LeighLoyal
04-04-2013, 09:15 AM
I remember an incident at ER when he was getting pelters from the shed when a Hibs guy was injured on the sidelines and he put the ball out and then pleaded to the Hibs fans in a typical Italian manner that suggested I did what you asked, what do you want from me!? Was quite funny. He's a unique character.

Beefster
04-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Chilean citizens seem to be OK just now, perhaps residents of Cuba or Venezuela might have more current views on oppression.

I never understand why so many people consider dictatorship of a right wing junta so vile yet a left wing government with the same restrictions is seen by some as a people's paradise.

Just to clarify, I do not support Fascism or Socialism ( of the National variety )

As another example of this, there was a guy on the radio yesterday who was ripping into Di Canio and comparing him with Hitler. When the presenter mentioned that Stalin and Mao had murdered hundreds of millions, the guy refused to condemn that and just said "well, fascism is worse than communism".

If you're going to rip into crap political systems, rip into them all.

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
As another example of this, there was a guy on the radio yesterday who was ripping into Di Canio and comparing him with Hitler. When the presenter mentioned that Stalin and Mao had murdered hundreds of millions, the guy refused to condemn that and just said "well, fascism is worse than communism".

If you're going to rip into crap political systems, rip into them all.

Indeed. Should we add supporters of Blair/Thatcher/Churchill to the debate?

And why stop at personally-held political views? Why not denounce our football managers for doing other things which are legal, but personal and, perhaps, morally questionable? For example, drinking heavily, cheating on partners, buying sex, playing for Rangers.

matty_f
04-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Indeed. Should we add supporters of Blair/Thatcher/Churchill to the debate?

And why stop at personally-held political views? Why not denounce our football managers for doing other things which are legal, but personal and, perhaps, morally questionable? For example, drinking heavily, cheating on partners, buying sex, playing for Rangers.

You've basically described a 'day in the life' of Gazza with your last paragraph!

Treadstone
04-04-2013, 10:19 AM
True, you cant tarnish the guy for one mistake, we all make them.

Nobody gave a toss when he got the swindon job so why all the fuss now?

Dan Roan the BBC guy trying to defend this on Twitter and failing miserably. Always be wary of journalist who takes two cameras to press conference, one for him asking a question and one for the reaction. Narcissitic twat.

Skanko79
04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Dan Roan the BBC guy trying to defend this on Twitter and failing miserably. Always be wary of journalist who takes two cameras to press conference, one for him asking a question and one for the reaction. Narcissitic twat.

Dan Roan is a prize f@nny. FACT.

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 03:11 PM
No place for fascists in football. Sunderland hang you're heads in shame.

jdships
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Problem here surely is that he ' came out' and admitted his leanings towards fascism
If he had kept quiet and saiod nothing would this argument have arisen /

Next time you go to your office /work place ask yourself
DO I KNOW WHAT THE LEANINGS ARE OF THE PEOPLE WHO WORK HERE ?

They could be straight , gay , Tory, Labour , SNP ,BNP Lib/Dem , perverts , RC , Protestant , Baptist Etc , Etc
Whatever they choose to be is entirely their business as long as they don't use it for the wrong reasons .

I have always stuck by good advise given to me many years ago - ' never discuss religion , politics or sexuality with people you don't know ' :thumbsup:

greenginger
04-04-2013, 03:45 PM

People should loose their jobs because you don't like their politics ?

That sounds a bit like, eh ...... Fascist to me.

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Does that include spelling and grammar Fascists? :cb

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Does that include spelling and grammar Fascists? :cb

Very good :)

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 03:54 PM
People should loose their jobs because you don't like their politics ?

That sounds a bit like, eh ...... Fascist to me.

He attended the funeral of a convicted fascist bomber. Well done the Wearside miners.

greenginger
04-04-2013, 04:09 PM
He attended the funeral of a convicted fascist bomber. Well done the Wearside miners.

So, attending a funeral is a good enough reason to stop a man from earning a living ? :confused:

A real fascist showing his true colours now.

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 04:14 PM
So, attending a funeral is a good enough reason to stop a man from earning a living ? :confused:

A real fascist showing his true colours now.

Glad the heat is being turned up on him. We need to kick racist / fascists out the game...

Gerard
04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Leave politics to politicians because as football supporters we should be concerned with football. A man has a right to support any political party that is legal.

Hibercelona
04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Leave politics to politicians because as football supporters we should be concerned with football. A man has a right to support any political party that is legal.

What makes a political party legal or illegal though?

And who has the right do decide this? :dunno:

eezyrider
04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
What makes a political party legal or illegal though?

And who has the right do decide this? :dunno:

The Electoral Commission I believe.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/107680/intro-registration-rp.pdf

greenginger
04-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Glad the heat is being turned up on him. We need to kick racist / fascists out the game...

In your Brave New World who will be next ? .........Jews ? Americans ? anyone who does not agree with your particular philosophy ?

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2013, 07:17 PM

Did someone mention Anthony Stokes or Andy Goram?

My memory of those two incidents is hazy, so someone put me right please.

Beefster
04-04-2013, 07:29 PM

I was going to mention those two and I'm sure James McClean as involved in something similar but I can't be arsed getting called a fascist.

CropleyWasGod
04-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I was going to mention those two and I'm sure James McClean as involved in something similar but I can't be arsed getting called a fascist.

Nihilist.:greengrin

Suburban Hibby
04-04-2013, 07:37 PM

Having James McLean at my club would disgust me more than DiCanio- I know more than one Sunderland fan who have given up their ST and will not return until McLean is away from the club.

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 08:21 PM
In your Brave New World who will be next ? .........Jews ? Americans ? anyone who does not agree with your particular philosophy ?

Sorry you have lost me .,.

Braids Hibby
04-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Both out of order also ....

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Having James McLean at my club would disgust me more than DiCanio- I know more than one Sunderland fan who have given up their ST and will not return until McLean is away from the club.

I know more than 40 thousand who do go while he's at the club. The club will still be around when all these undesirables are long gone, but will your friend?

Football fans are the biggest hypocrites going, this thread highlights that. :greengrin

monktonharp
04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Do you work in the media?nope. and, I know my roots. means a lot to some, don't ya know

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2013, 09:28 PM
nope. and, I know my roots. means a lot to some, don't ya know

Good for you, but if you had read my post properly i was questioning the media not anyone who posts on here? :confused:

Iggy Pope
05-04-2013, 04:20 PM

Assuming you are referring to their reported 'links' with terrorist organisations, were you aware of any connection while they were at ER?
If so, why didn't you say?
Bit late now is it not?

CropleyWasGod
05-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Assuming you are referring to their reported 'links' with terrorist organisations, were you aware of any connection while they were at ER?
If so, why didn't you say?
Bit late now is it not?

If you follow the posts, you'll see that i was responding to one denouncing PdC for attending the funeral of a terrorist .

My post was pointing out the danger in throwing stones in a greenhouse .

Iggy Pope
05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
If you follow the posts, you'll see that i was responding to one denouncing PdC for attending the funeral of a terrorist .

My post was pointing out the danger in throwing stones in a greenhouse .

I understand that, but none of our stonethrowers had Goram or Stokes living in the greenhouse did they?
If it had been common knowledge that we had someone of that ilk in our lovely glass house and we continued to throw stones, then bad show.
But who knew? That's what I'm asking.
I certainly never had either of them down as suspect when they were here. That came much later and they were roundly condemned I think?

Beefster
06-04-2013, 08:12 AM
I understand that, but none of our stonethrowers had Goram or Stokes living in the greenhouse did they?
If it had been common knowledge that we had someone of that ilk in our lovely glass house and we continued to throw stones, then bad show.
But who knew? That's what I'm asking.
I certainly never had either of them down as suspect when they were here. That came much later and they were roundly condemned I think?

Roundly condemned, perhaps. We didn't have folk announcing that they should never be allowed to work in football again though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm confused as to why his political beliefs have just become such a problem for people since last weekend, its not as if its a recent revelation. Seems to me as if the bandwagon was going past and people are jumping on.