PDA

View Full Version : Grand National

Speedy
30-03-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm going again this year. Any tips for the national or anything else on the Friday or Saturday of the meeting?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Quite fancy Imperial Commander ew, its not often you get Gold Cup winners running in a handicap. He ran a good race at Cheltenham last time on Heavy ground.

Speedy
30-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Quite fancy Imperial Commander ew, its not often you get Gold Cup winners running in a handicap. He ran a good race at Ascot last time.

Just had a look at the runners, stats etc. and fancied the following 3 in this order:

Teaforthree
Balthazar King
Colbert Station

What do you reckon?

And what do you think is better for Balthazar King? 33/1 paying 5 places but losing your money for a non-runner, 28/1 paying 5 places but refund for non-runner, 25/1 paying 6 places and refunds for non-runners?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I'd go for the 33s, you'd need to be really unlucky for him to be injured in the next few days.

Speedy
30-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I'd go for the 33s, you'd need to be really unlucky for him to be injured in the next few days.

Cheers. Think I'll definitely rule out 28s, just a case of whether I'd prefer the 6th place now.

Do you think those 3 have much chance? Think I've talked my way out of Colbert Station, only fancied that because I read somewhere McCoy could be on it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I've not had much of a look at the race yet apart from watching a preview on the Racing Post website. Will have a closer look over the next few days.

Marabou Stork
30-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I've been backing colbert station throughout the year, and I'm on for a fair old payday if it wins. I'm gradually fancying it less and less though. Im probably going to fire a few quid ew on lion na bearnai and roi du mee as well.

I can really see cappa bleu winning though.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Quite fancy Imperial Commander ew, its not often you get Gold Cup winners running in a handicap. He ran a good race at Ascot last time.

Think he's top weigh though.

Top horse but big ask for him to lump nearly 12 stone around that course with only one run in 700+ days at nearly 13 years old.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Personally I quite fancy Treacle at 33s.

Found all the trouble it was possible to find last year, has patches of good form and is back down to a workable weight, if fully fit he has a chance.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Think he's top weigh though.

Top horse but big ask for him to lump nearly 12 stone around that course with only one run in 700+ days at nearly 13 years old.

A bit concerned about whether he will stay, but, by far the classiest horse in the race.
Keeping the fingers crossed for drying ground for the rest of the week.

Marabou Stork
31-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Anybody having a bet on the Irish national tomorrow?

Looks a real hard race to pick a winner from. I've ended up going for magnanimity, but theres a hell of a lot in the race that's pretty unexposed at 3 miles plus.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Anybody having a bet on the Irish national tomorrow?

Looks a real hard race to pick a winner from. I've ended up going for magnanimity, but theres a hell of a lot in the race that's pretty unexposed at 3 miles plus.

Sweeney Tunes at 10s for me.

Should get the 3+ miles and hacked up in a Grade 2 recently.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Marasonnien with Ruby on 10st 3lbs must have a decent chance, don't think I'll get involved, I'm still in the huff 'cos Watford let my coupon down on Friday! :fuming:

Pretty Boy
01-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Sweeney Tunes at 10s for me.

Should get the 3+ miles and hacked up in a Grade 2 recently.

4th, weight just too much in the end.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm still in the huff 'cos Watford let my coupon down on Friday! :fuming:

Another 5th minute of injury time equaliser let my coupon down again today!

Watford 0-1 & 1-2 down before taking the lead on Friday before conceding an injury time equaliser.
Burton Albion 1-0 & 2-1 down before taking the lead today before conceding an injury time equaliser.

Ouch!! :boo hoo:

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-04-2013, 04:09 PM
4th, weight just too much in the end.

Missed the start of the race, don't think I heard the one I fancied get a mention!

sambajustice
02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Had a wee dash on a couple of horses, including Liberty Counsel!

50/1 - sorry about that! :-D

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Always have a flutter on the national but know **** all about horses so watching this thread with interest :greengrin In Liverpool this weekend too but sadly not at the race.

Pretty Boy
02-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Always have a flutter on the national but know **** all about horses so watching this thread with interest :greengrin In Liverpool this weekend too but sadly not at the race.

One of the chefs at my work is a big Liverpool fan nd is going down for the game this weekend against West Ham.

He couldn't figure why his usual hotels wanted a small fortune more than usual. We all had a good laugh at him when we encouraged him to phone and complain and the person on the phone told him to google Aintree.

Scouse Hibee
02-04-2013, 09:47 PM
One of the chefs at my work is a big Liverpool fan nd is going down for the game this weekend against West Ham.

He couldn't figure why his usual hotels wanted a small fortune more than usual. We all had a good laugh at him when we encouraged him to phone and complain and the person on the phone told him to google Aintree.

:tee hee: Fortunately the price of my full board and all the booze you can drink lodgings never fluctuates from FOC :greengrin

Speedy
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM

The prices changed between originally posting and putting it on. Got 25s paying 5 places. 6 places was down to 20/1.

It's down to 16s for 5 or 6 places now.

Edit:

Also took Colbert Station and Teaforthree.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
I only got 16s for Imperial Commander, it was about 40s on Betfair a couple of weeks ago which is a bit annoying.

IanM
04-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Just started picking through the form.. at the moment i've narrowed it down by age/weight stats to just the 22 :wink:

If they don't water too much and there is a chance of some Good going (good to soft, good in places at the moment) I think Becauseicouldntsee could run a race.

Fell the last twice in the national however too keen the first time (fell 2nd) and fell last year after being hampered (fell 8th). It needs the good ground though and has some smart form on it (2nd to Poker De Sivola & Sunnyhill Boy at Cheltenham Festival the last few years) so I'm happy to ignore it's form this year as it's had to run on heavy.

Ran a creditable 5th in the Kim Muir this years festival, leading but again the ground although good to soft was tacky and tired up the hill.

He'll be rerouted to the Scottish national if the ground doesn't come up for it by Saturday and the 100/1 quoted is based on bare recent form and the fact he's not likely to get his ground but if they keep him in and gets a clear round (great jumping at cheltenham latest) he could run a place.

heretoday
06-04-2013, 01:21 AM
I got The Commander at 25s. I think he's a wonderful horse who cut them up at Cheltenham two years ago and if his legs can stand it he'll be in the shake up.

Also Rare Bob. A tough customer.

Hibs90
06-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Treacle E/W at 33/1.

BroxburnHibee
06-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Ive gone for rare bob and colbert station

Matty_Jack04
06-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Went for Balthazar king and on his own also got rare bob in the sweep at work

AngusHibby
06-04-2013, 10:29 AM
About to head to bookies, complete amateur though so... can someone recommend me
:- a real contender
- an outsider with a chance
- and someone your dodgey mate tipped you off about

marinello59
06-04-2013, 10:43 AM
About to head to bookies, complete amateur though so... can someone recommend me
:- a real contender
- an outsider with a chance
- and someone your dodgey mate tipped you off about

A real contender.........Teaforthree.
An outsider with a chance...... Stick a quid each way on Major Malarkey. It's a lottery.
Someone my dodgy mate tipped me off about....... Sandra behind the bar at my local, two babychams and a kebab on the way home should see you alright.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Someone my dodgy mate tipped me off about....... Sandra behind the bar at my local, two babychams and a kebab on the way home should see you alright.

Sounds like a good thing! :-)

hibsbollah
06-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Is there a grey? I always go for the grey

NOLA
06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Is there a grey? I always go for the grey

Chicago grey

NOLA
06-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I've gone for Balthazar king + teaforthree while the kid has picked Tarquinius "cos he sounds tough" lol

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Oh well, that could've gone better for most of us! :greengrin

jodjam
07-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Winning jockey now in stable condition in hospital after a bad fall today.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Winning jockey now in stable condition in hospital after a bad fall today.

Unfortunate choice of terms, but, hope he makes a full and fast recovery. Its a funny old game as Greavsie once said!