View Full Version : Partick Thistle or Geenock Morton

30-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Two good old football clubs battling it out at the top of the 1st division, both would be a welcome addition to SPL, not sure who I would prefer?? Who's everyone's faves?
Personally would love to see both as this would mean Hearts have gone pop a la Rangers:aok:

ManBearPig
30-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Partick would better addition they really aee trying to play football this season

30-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Two good old football clubs battling it out at the top of the 1st division, both would be a welcome addition to SPL, not sure who I would prefer?? Who's everyone's faves?
Personally would love to see both as this would mean Hearts have gone pop a la Rangers:aok:Partick for me, best team in Glesgae.

30-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I agree with your last statement in your post as I would like both teams in the league and a certain team to go pop. I think it's going to be Partick Thistle that are going to be promoted.

GREEN WARLORD
30-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Partick, my grandfather supported them.

30-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Cappielow is a dump of a stadium in a dump of a town.

Maryhill isn't much better mind, but it's the lesser of two evils.

StevesFamau5
30-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Partick.... as I really don't want to run into my ecs family in greenock ever again. Evet. Never ever ever. EVER!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

HibeeN
30-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Partick. I like their strip. :thumbsup:

30-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Morton, never been in the top flight in my lifetime. Used to like goin to partick so would see them as a good addition as well

30-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Should be 2 up 2 down if you ask me. Both teams are streets clear and deserve to go up this season.

gegs70
30-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Either side really...possibly morton....was it goram or rough that scored against them at ER?

30-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Has to be Partick Thistle for me - used to like the strip they have AND they gave us Arthur all those years ago....

aussie_hibee
30-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Either side really...possibly morton....was it goram or rough that scored against them at ER?

Goram and I was there. People asking us the score on the way home and wouldn't believe us when we told. Used to love chants of gie the ba tae Andy after it...!

30-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Morton because my mate follows them home and away and has taken me to thier games a few times. Nowt against Partick tho, wish both could be promoted.

30-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Partick for me.

30-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Either for me.

2 decent clubs with fans who have resisted the lure of the bigots.

Green Man
30-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Thistle for me, used to go sometimes when I lived 5 minutes from Firhill and I know a couple of Jags fans so will be delighted for them if they go up.

30-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Both horrid towns. Want neither promoted.

30-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Thistle, I've always hated how Edinburgh people call them 'Partick'.

It was Hearts fans when I was a kid, which I think is partly why I hated Hearts so much and started following Hibs for a more local team.

30-03-2013, 11:28 AM

It was Hearts fans when I was a kid, which I think is partly why I hated Hearts so much and started following Hibs for a more local team.

Strange thing to get upset about. There are a few Thistles around so makes sense for people outwith their immediate area to refer to Partick.

30-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Both horrid towns. Want neither promoted.

Prepare for disappointment:tee hee:

30-03-2013, 11:45 AM
First ever game was against Partick, so them for old times sake ;)

30-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Either for me.

2 decent clubs with fans who have resisted the lure of the bigots.

agreed but if i had to choose morton

30-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Not been to either ground so not picky. Know a couple of lads who follow Partick from afar though so maybe edge towards them.

30-03-2013, 12:08 PM

For 22 years the nearest senior football team to Hibs was Meadowbank Thistle. You want that folk who lived in Edinburgh should have called them "Meadowbank" and called Partick Thistle "Thistle"? :crazy:

30-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Went to Firhill the season we were in the first for a league cup game against Hamilton Accies some time in August as I was up for the school holidays.

Also remember we gained promotion at Firhill. Sadly I was working over Easter so didn't go (my Dad & Bro did).

30-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Thistle as I don't think I've ever been to a game there we've lost.

30-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Slightly prefer Morton but would have preferred both to have come up with Hearts joining Dundee in Div 1.

30-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm not normally a man who backs the west coast over the east coast (simply on smell and intelligence grounds, nothing against them otherwise), but I'd like to see two relatively decent-sized, financially stable clubs in the SPL, at the expense of a couple of inflated minnows who have been on spending sprees with other people's money, and who will subsequently spend the next decade fighting extinction in footballing backwaters.

30-03-2013, 01:40 PM
9/10 it would be raining whenever we were playing through in greenock :( there was a good wee pub/club right on the corner outside the ground though :) and one of my first ever experiences of the weegie "salt & VINEGAR" :grr: in a chippy just further along, anyway, has to be the Mayrhill Magyars for me :agree: less travelling mileage, although i seem to remember some trouble for a supporters bus through there in the past after a game(iirc)

p.s. also liked those yellow & red stripped tops they wore

30-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Morton would add another derby to the spl

30-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Morton for me, but I think it'll be Partick.

30-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Partick winning, Morton losing, looking more & more like it will be the Jags

30-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Lucky for teams like Dundee and Hearts or we'd be looking at the possibility of waving at them as we're on the way down...

30-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Lucky for teams like Dundee and Hearts or we'd be looking at the possibility of waving at them as we're on the way down...

Is it lucky that we've been better than half the league all season

30-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Partick for me, they were the last team in my £50 treble to come in with their 2-1 win today. :greengrin

30-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Went to Firhill the season we were in the first for a league cup game against Hamilton Accies some time in August as I was up for the school holidays.

Also remember we gained promotion at Firhill. Sadly I was working over Easter so didn't go (my Dad & Bro did).

Here's what you woulda seen :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB5MtKqrOdU

30-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Thistle is a hell of a lot easier to get to so I'll go for them :greengrin.

30-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Harry Wraggs for me :agree:

30-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Morton would be good.

30-03-2013, 09:57 PM

Not been to either ground so not picky. Know a couple of lads who follow Partick from afar though so maybe edge towards them.

Partick for me, they were the last team in my £50 treble to come in with their 2-1 win today. :greengrin

Do these bloody Lancastrians annoy you as well??

30-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Do these bloody Lancastrians annoy you as well??

30-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Is it lucky that we've been better than half the league all season

Yeah, lucky we have Leigh Griffiths on loan....

We've played well in a handful of games

30-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Don't really care.

Haven't been to either stadium but Firhill appears to be by far the superior stadium.

Cappielow looks like a dump.

So far that reason alone I'm going for Partick Thistle.

31-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Morton would add another derby to the spl

So would partick!

31-03-2013, 07:24 AM
So would partick!

See, I know I can be a bit slow and deluded at times, but who the heck is the other team in Greenock he is on about?

31-03-2013, 07:26 AM
St mirren- renfrew derby, hate each other.

31-03-2013, 07:41 AM
St mirren- renfrew derby, hate each other.

Hmm, not really what I would call a derby though. Same county fair enough, but what 15-20 miles away? I always consider a derby to be two teams from the same town. I know there has been a fair bit of jerrymandering over the years, but was G;asgow not part of Renfrewshire at one stage or am I dreaming more delusions? I would not even call der hun versus St Mirren a derby and they are a hell of a lot closer than Greenock and Paisley. Horses for courses I guess.

31-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Hmm, not really what I would call a derby though. Same county fair enough, but what 15-20 miles away? I always consider a derby to be two teams from the same town. I know there has been a fair bit of jerrymandering over the years, but was G;asgow not part of Renfrewshire at one stage or am I dreaming more delusions? I would not even call der hun versus St Mirren a derby and they are a hell of a lot closer than Greenock and Paisley. Horses for courses I guess.

Ha! if St Mirren and Morton view themselves as derby rivals, then it's a "derby"...I'm not sure your own definition makes a difference :)

As for the OP...Thistle for me, I quite like a trip to Firhill...

31-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Know what your saying but I suppose its the same as st j v dundee or united as the tayside derby or county v caley as the highland derby.

31-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Ha! if St Mirren and Morton view themselves as derby rivals, then it's a "derby"...I'm not sure your own definition makes a difference :)

As for the OP...Thistle for me, I quite like a trip to Firhill...

Correct, it makes not one whit of a differrence to them. Does to me though, although not something I think I will lose sleep over. :greengrin

31-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Know what your saying but I suppose its the same as st j v dundee or united as the tayside derby or county v caley as the highland derby.
Asked an Arab that on Friday and he doesn't think of St Johnstone as a derby at all. Strictly Dundee for him.

31-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Morton for me, Nearest team to me now. Greenock aint as bad as it used to be. Lots of nice houses on the waterfront now where the yards used to be. The pub on the corner and chippy still there too. :aok:

31-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Partick for me, mainly because my friend plays in defence for them. Nothing against Morton though and both seem like good clubs.

31-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Bit like the Real vs Barca game. Never a derby.

31-03-2013, 07:11 PM
I watched Morton pump my beloved Stranraer 8-0 and 8-1 and they brought plenty of fans with them so I hope they come up. They seem like a decent club with good supporters.

Also, I've seen Partick Thistle in the SPL before it would be nice to welcome a team I haven't seen play in the SPL.

31-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Got ex Hibees in each team, Scott Taggert at Morton, Sean Welsh at Thistle. May the best team win!

01-04-2013, 05:08 AM
I watched Morton pump my beloved Stranraer 8-0 and 8-1 and they brought plenty of fans with them so I hope they come up. They seem like a decent club with good supporters.

Also, I've seen Partick Thistle in the SPL before it would be nice to welcome a team I haven't seen play in the SPL.

Last time I was at Cappielowe was one of the biggest fights I have seen at a game, and late 70s early 80s there were plenty. Bunch of friggin idiots if I remember correctly.

Should add it is also the only town that I know of that sold Four Crown and Lanliq by the glass, probably do it with Buckfast now.

01-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Last time I was at Cappielowe was one of the biggest fights I have seen at a game, and late 70s early 80s there were plenty. Bunch of friggin idiots if I remember correctly.

Should add it is also the only town that I know of that sold Four Crown and Lanliq by the glass, probably do it with Buckfast now.

Obviously those fans didn't make the trip to Stranraer then! :rolleyes:

01-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Obviously those fans didn't make the trip to Stranraer then! :rolleyes:

Don't know why it would be obvious to me but hey ho. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Don't know why it would be obvious to me but hey ho. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

01-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Thank God you are smiling for a change. :greengrin

01-04-2013, 09:03 AM

There always used to be fights at Morton in the 70s, it just seemed to be one of those places with more than the normal amount of bother, before during and after the games? :agree: Partick though in my opinion was quite friendly considering you were in Glasgow, in fact some of the banter was always funny.

Its Partick for me.

01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
We played at Morton in a Scottish cup replay when McLeish was in charge. Think we won 3-0, but for some reason I don't think it was Morton we were playing, was it possibly Dumbarton?????

Renfrew_Hibby
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Morton because my mate follows them home and away and has taken me to thier games a few times. Nowt against Partick tho, wish both could be promoted.

Is your mate Kenny from the Morton club? I work in Greenock and hes always going on about a Hibs guy he works with, is that you?

Although it looks like Thistle now Morton would also have been a really good addition to the SPL IMO. Yes Cappielow is run down but they have a very enthusiastic bunch of fans who travel in good numbers and their rivalry with St.Mirren is as fierce as ours with the yams although on a smaller scale!
Greenock isn't a dump as some of yous seem to think! Its a hard hard town, but slums are being cleared as we speak and i have found the people to be the warmest on the planet!

01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Is your mate Kenny from the Morton club? I work in Greenock and hes always going on about a Hibs guy he works with, is that you?

Although it looks like Thistle now Morton would also have been a really good addition to the SPL IMO. Yes Cappielow is run down but they have a very enthusiastic bunch of fans who travel in good numbers and their rivalry with St.Mirren is as fierce as ours with the yams although on a smaller scale!
Greenock isn't a dump as some of yous seem to think! Its a hard hard town, but slums are being cleared as we speak and i have found the people to be the warmest on the planet!

No my mate is Robert Culbert. I have always been made very welcome at cappielow and even went to paisley in supporters bus one new year when hibs were in Trinidad. Paul Hartley was on loan at Morton and scored a cracking free kick.

01-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Thank God you are smiling for a change. :greengrin

Don't worry, it didn't last for long!

04-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Morton have agreed to play at St Mirren apparently if upgrading Cappielow isn't feasible so for that reason alone I hope partick go up. Hate St Mirrens ground.

04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Sean, hate all the new grounds, St Mirren, Inverness and St Johnstone, Airdrie etc. The stands have no height unless your in the back row. Hamilton is far better, as the front row is about 15 feet or so above ground

Barman Stanton
04-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Thistle for me. Got respect for Thistle fans when it would be easier to support the ugly two. Also good memories of the penalty shoot out and a game where we had snowball fights with the ballboys in the early 90s.

04-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I would like Thistle to be promoted as i have never been to Maryhill. Been to Morton once when we were in Div 1, think Lavety scored the only goal right at the death in the pouring rain :confused:

04-04-2013, 08:17 PM
I would like Thistle to be promoted as i have never been to Maryhill. Been to Morton once when we were in Div 1, think Lavety scored the only goal right at the death in the pouring rain :confused:

IIRC that was the opening game in first division....We also won the division at Maryhill........

04-04-2013, 08:24 PM
We played at Morton in a Scottish cup replay when McLeish was in charge. Think we won 3-0, but for some reason I don't think it was Morton we were playing, was it possibly Dumbarton?????

We did.

Also can't remember the opponents.

Only reason I remember the game is my Dad got in for an OAP price, he didn't ask it was assumed. He was only 40ish at the time. Still rip him about it now and then.

anon1875
04-04-2013, 10:27 PM
morton because i live in greenock