PDA

View Full Version : NHC How can Regan and Doncaster justify their positions anymore?

Northernhibee
26-03-2013, 08:25 PM
The national team regularly getting humped
A lack of talented youngsters coming through in enough numbers
Attendances down
Fans getting a raw deal
Less 3pm Saturday kick offs
Potential cut of TV money next year
The handling of the Sevco situation which gave Dundee no time to prepare and cost their manager their job
The idea of this 12-12-18 league setup that nobody wants

It's staggering how quickly the state of our national game has declined.

We need to copy the Swiss way of doing things; a ten team top league with a rule that a certain amount of home grown talent and talent trained by that certain club must be played within each team. Find a way to get fans back through more exciting fitba and 3pm Saturday kick offs and actually grow a pair to say no to TV looking at ridiculous kick off times. Fairer prize money distribution.

Doncaster and Regan must go, and I've never even been that bothered about our national team. For the sake of Hibs improvements must be made in our national game.

Alfred E Newman
26-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Add to that no sponsor as yet for next season.

Jack Hackett
26-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Does anyone actually have the power to sack them, because otherwise it's academic? It's patently obvious they ain't gonna walk

Viva_Palmeiras
26-03-2013, 09:00 PM
When Scotland got beaten by Portugal 5-0 the alarm bells rang. There was time but opportunities missed now the rate of decline appears to have increased.

Regan and Flat top probably just got caught when the music stopped and no chairs were left. They've had to oversee the most tumultuous period few if any could have predicted.

Whilst they are the chair/spokespersons they surely merely represent the views and take the hit on behalf of others no? They are like buffers absorbing the flack for the members. Some daft things have been said tho' and that cannot be spun away. I do wonder how much of what has and is still going on ("social unrest", "OF colt teams", 12-12-18) are simply posturing, jockeying for position - a phoney war if you like. Chuckie is in on it too so why not?

I've also heard and believe that chairmen are capable of saying one thing in private and another in front of the cameras/public. Hardly surprising they get the rug pulled from under them if public opinion goes against them. Why still in position? Becauseat this stage few would take it on and there will probably be no change of guard until the new format has settled.

What I would say tho is careful what u wish for - would replacements not be more favourable to the OF? As the financial problems worsten and the biggest show in town yearn to be togevva?

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Does anyone actually have the power to sack them, because otherwise it's academic? It's patently obvious they ain't gonna walk

Their respective Boards. :wink:

Hibby Kay-Yay
26-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Attendances down
Fans getting a raw deal
The handling of the Sevco situation which gave Dundee no time to prepare and cost their manager their job

We need to copy the Swiss way of doing things; a ten team top league with a rule that a certain amount of home grown talent and talent trained by that certain club must be played within each team. Find a way to get fans back through more exciting fitba and 3pm Saturday kick offs and actually grow a pair to say no to TV looking at ridiculous kick off times. Fairer prize money distribution.

Doncaster and Regan must go, and I've never even been that bothered about our national team. For the sake of Hibs improvements must be made in our national game.

Doncaster got a payrise too and is on 200k per year.

monktonharp
26-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Attendances down
Fans getting a raw deal

Doncaster and Regan must go, and I've never even been that bothered about our national team. For the sake of Hibs improvements must be made in our national game.Appreciate your concerns, but this pair are not entirely responsible for the whole of scotland. the spl = spokesman (alledged cheif exec.)= doncaster, is a clown acting on behalf of spl chairmen alledgedly. the other gadge, dont know exactly where he fits in but the lower leagues have little or no say as to what is going on with scottish fitba'. for what seems 100 years, people , and mainly fans have been crying out for some sort of leadership that can grab the bull by the horns and totally revamp our football set-up. one body, to govern our modern game. pyramid system, similar to the english. get rid of the deadwood and have someone that can take our game forward before it dissapears doon the pan!they appointed that guy henry whatsisname (ex-msp) and former footballer with east fife, who drew up loads of ideas but I am struggling to remember any!.Henry McLeish, knew I had it somewhere at the back of my mind! scottish proffesional football = 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday. that is the mindset of scottish football fans, and I cant see it changing in the future, unless they were to let us in for nowt. doubt if that would entice some folk, if it's 12:30 on a sunday, or even 1:45 on a saturday. if it's on tv, in a pub.no brainer!

barcahibs
26-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Wasn't the issue of Neil Doncaster and his worth to the SPL raised with Rod Petrie at the AGM? If memory serves, Rod backed him fully. I can't remember his words exactly, but he seemed to think Doncaster was misunderstood and doing a great job. Maybe only said for public consumption of course, but as I presume Rod is one of the people who would have a say in Doncaster's future then he may be pretty safe.

Northernhibee
26-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Appreciate your concerns, but this pair are not entirely responsible for the whole of scotland. the spl = spokesman (alledged cheif exec.)= doncaster, is a clown acting on behalf of spl chairmen alledgedly. the other gadge, dont know exactly where he fits in but the lower leagues have little or no say as to what is going on with scottish fitba'. for what seems 100 years, people , and mainly fans have been crying out for some sort of leadership that can grab the bull by the horns and totally revamp our football set-up. one body, to govern our modern game. pyramid system, similar to the english. get rid of the deadwood and have someone that can take our game forward before it dissapears doon the pan!they appointed that guy henry whatsisname (ex-msp) and former footballer with east fife, who drew up loads of ideas but I am struggling to remember any!.Henry McLeish, knew I had it somewhere at the back of my mind! scottish proffesional football = 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday. that is the mindset of scottish football fans, and I cant see it changing in the future, unless they were to let us in for nowt. doubt if that would entice some folk, if it's 12:30 on a sunday, or even 1:45 on a saturday. if it's on tv, in a pub.no brainer!

What you then need to do is offer something extra at the stadiums that you wouldn't get in the pub. For your £20-25 what you get is ninety minutes of more often than not eye bleeding fitba and nothing else. If you have the sense that you're getting to watch the next generation of great Scottish footballers and a product that is good to watch with stadiums that have enough people to create a real atmosphere then you're getting there.

It's a chicken and egg scenario but the numpties at the top of our game are not the men to lead it, something I think we're all agreed on really.

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Wasn't the issue of Neil Doncaster and his worth to the SPL raised with Rod Petrie at the AGM? If memory serves, Rod backed him fully. I can't remember his words exactly, but he seemed to think Doncaster was misunderstood and doing a great job. Maybe only said for public consumption of course, but as I presume Rod is one of the people who would have a say in Doncaster's future then he may be pretty safe.

That was my memory. RP spoke very highly of him.

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2013, 09:36 PM
What you then need to do is offer something extra at the stadiums that you wouldn't get in the pub. For your £20-25 what you get is ninety minutes of more often than not eye bleeding fitba and nothing else. If you have the sense that you're getting to watch the next generation of great Scottish footballers and a product that is good to watch with stadiums that have enough people to create a real atmosphere then you're getting there.

It's a chicken and egg scenario but the numpties at the top of our game are not the men to lead it, something I think we're all agreed on really.

Not sure you're right there.

Those "numpties at the top of our game" are the clubs, and their chairs. It is they who employ Regan and Doncaster, not the other way round.

Northernhibee
26-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Not sure you're right there.

Those "numpties at the top of our game" are the clubs, and their chairs. It is they who employ Regan and Doncaster, not the other way round.

Out of interest, do you think that the system there is working properly out of sheer interest, the way that our clubs are playing their part (or not)?

We need a serious, serious change throughout Scottish football. It's not going to happen either.

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Do you think that the system there is working properly?

We need a serious, serious change throughout Scottish football. It's not going to happen either.

What changes would you propose?

Northernhibee
26-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Ten team league, at least six players named in the team must either be trained up by that club or eligible for the national team in some way. Make it necessary for clubs to train up youngsters and get them playing to a high level rather than take a punt on an old has been or journeymen footballers.

After that I have no idea, quite honestly.

Thecat23
26-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Until there is a major shake up from top to grass roots we will be a nation who won't be able to compete at a good level. For that reason I have no interest in Scotland. Win or lose 10-0 I don't give a ****. Watching Scotland these days is eye bleeding.

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Ten team league, at least six players named in the team must either be trained up by that club or eligible for the national team in some way. Make it necessary for clubs to train up youngsters and get them playing to a high level rather than take a punt on an old has been or journeymen footballers.

After that I have no idea, quite honestly.

Even if Regan and Doncaster came up with those ideas, the clubs might reject them....perhaps on the highlighted issue. What I am saying is that not all of our ills are the fault of those two.

hibsbollah
26-03-2013, 10:04 PM
We've been substandard for fifteen years. At least. None of this is exactly surprising, is it :dunno:

monktonharp
26-03-2013, 10:10 PM

It's a chicken and egg scenario but the numpties at the top of our game are not the men to lead it, something I think we're all agreed on really.ok, how's about a quick **** wi' the tea lady before kick-off? we've been through all this stuff re-quality on the park etc. we all know that the english game has creamed off our best players for years. footballers are merceneries. eg: broony,and dare I have the temerity to mention it, Katie!. we brought on loads of young players, but they opted /demanded more dosh! thereby thumbing there noses to the scottish clubs and scottish game. the agents have a lot to answer for imho, but the heirarchy are a group of selfcentred clowns in blazers.we need back to some basics, and make the game watchable at decent times, not changing to kick off times just days before the match! how many times have we had eg: lancashire hibs, saying bollocks, I am booked in to a hotel the night before the game but now cant go because the last train is at blah blah and they have changed the kick of time to sunday 12:45? that, imho is definately something extra! let's keep it simple, it is a simple game and you dont have to be a simpleton to see what I mean.we have had some crap football over the season, but some prety good stuff to at times. Motherwell fans would certainly admit that their team's last outing was enjoyable stuff:wink: the highland derbies (in a sparsely populated region of scotland,) have been exiting of late, but the attendances are obviously reduced further when on tv.

barcahibs
26-03-2013, 10:44 PM

One organisations running the professional game - not necessarily the SFA who could stick to international football - game is run for the benefit of the league as a whole not any individual clubs.

16 team top league playing each other home and away - 15 guaranteed home games

16 team second league (if there's enough viable clubs, colts teams from top division clubs to fill out places if not - not just celgers colts though! In fact if theres' interest you could even include colts teams from Ireland/North England)

1 team automatic relegation/promotion, 3-4 teams in play offs (colts teams can't be promoted).

Regional pyramid system below allowing promotion and relegation to second division if certain conditions met.

Revamped league cup with a seeded league element for the first round - 8 groups of 4 teams playing each other home and away. (to make up for the shortfall in league games - everyone now gets 18 home games, plus the second division clubs get two guaranteed games against top flight opponents). Euro qualification for winning it (though see below)

Switch to summer football and market us to SKY as an alternative to bloody cricket and golf. Less competition should mean a better TV deal, plus much less messing about with kick off times. At a minimum all fixture times agreed at the start of a season and no moving them for TV subsequently.

All sponsorship money pooled and distributed via the leagues fairly to all clubs.

All gate monies split between the two teams playing (not necessarily 50/50 though).

Wage Cap - still allow bigger teams to pay bigger wages but not to the extent they do at the moment. Maybe some sort of sliding scale based on average club turnover or average gate. (could even have a system where you get a boost to your wage cap depending on how poorly you did the previous year - ie the team that finishes bottom gets to spend a bit more the next year to level the playing field?) This should all ultimately be aimed at keeping ticket prices down.

Pro clubs must run academies, top flight teams must have minimum number of home grown players (9/10 in match day squad), system in place to compensate smaller teams when their players move on to larger Scottish clubs.

Ditch mainstream European football. Trying to keep up with the English/Spanish/Italian leagues is the reason we're in the state we are. Instead organise a European Summer Cup, competed in by all the leagues playing Summer football (this'll be the hardest part! :greengrin) Market this to SKY instead of more bloody cricket and golf. If celtc and sevco leave over this then so be it. Could leave scheduled weeks in the late season for 'glamour' friendlies with English/European clubs warming up for their own winter leagues.

Summer/Euro cup qualifying places for winning both domestic cups and for top league finishers - maybe throw in a wildcard for highest scoring league team or fair play winners or even team voted to have the best fans by the players (or simply team in Edinburgh with the greenest strip?).

Arguably the 'quality' of player will go down but there'll be a much more level playing field so I'd argue the quality/excitement factor of games will go up.

Just off the top of my head, sure there's many holes in it :greengrin

marinello59
27-03-2013, 07:04 AM

Sorry to single out this comment but that's simply not true. The game in Scotland has been in a slow decline for nearly twenty years now.
Doncaster and Regan are the wrong targets here. Blame their employers, the clubs, who took a collective (and gutless) decision to stop competing properly for the top prize in Scotland. Without ambition and drive to reach the top standards could only go one way.

lyonhibs
27-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Attendances down
Fans getting a raw deal

Agree with most of that. However, we do not need to copy the Swiss model of doing things. Mental ticket prices - entry level tickets at my local team cost upwards of £40, more than twice that of the - arguably - more popular ice hockey team. Half empty stadiums except for big games and it was only a couple of years ago that several teams from the French speaking part got demoted/banned from Europe for financial irregularities.

Part/Time Supporter
27-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Attendances down
Fans getting a raw deal

Doncaster proposed that two years ago, but the fans (in their infinite wisdom) protested enough for the idea to be dropped.

chrisski33
27-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Im sure they spoke about the swiss model on radio not long back and that it made swiss football worse and that the creater said it wouldnt work in scotland.

Gatecrasher
27-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Doncaster proposed that two years ago, but the fans (in their infinite wisdom) protested enough for the idea to be dropped.
So they pick and choose when to listen to the supporters? Why is our opinion good enough for something like that but not for the league set up the majority of people want?

I'm suprised about the easy time these two get to be be honest, yes the decline in Scottish foorball started before they entered their posts however I can't think of anything they have done to improve the game we have. Maybe someone will point out something but on the face of it the apathy and decline in our game is on the increase rather than decrease and thats before we even start thinking about the embarrassment of the Rangers situation and Donkey's pay rise :faf:.

Bighoose
27-03-2013, 11:47 AM
SFA/SPL dont help but lets face it this needs to get sorted out in the schools.

Kids should get introduced to the full range of sports at an early age by coaches that know what they are doing.

Mark Wotte, the dutch bloke, who is in charge of youth football is making a difference but we are still looking at 10 years to see the results.

allezsauzee
27-03-2013, 11:56 AM
While I do think they are a pair of clowns, I think the problem stems from a lack of long term thinking at grass roots level. The coaching has to start from kids level, where they are taught that instant control and maintaining possesion are more important than hoofing it up the park to get some territorial advantage.

bighairyfaeleith
27-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Im sure they spoke about the swiss model on radio not long back and that it made swiss football worse and that the creater said it wouldnt work in scotland.

Yes but that was the model before the one the swiss use now. The one before is the one we are about to adopt. The one the earlier poster suggested is what the swiss moved to when they realized what they had done.

Part/Time Supporter
27-03-2013, 01:12 PM
So they pick and choose when to listen to the supporters? Why is our opinion good enough for something like that but not for the league set up the majority of people want?

I'm suprised about the easy time these two get to be be honest, yes the decline in Scottish foorball started before they entered their posts however I can't think of anything they have done to improve the game we have. Maybe someone will point out something but on the face of it the apathy and decline in our game is on the increase rather than decrease and thats before we even start thinking about the embarrassment of the Rangers situation and Donkey's pay rise :faf:.

Doncaster can only implement a league structure change if he has 11 of the 12 clubs willing to vote for it. The fan protests meant that this was impossible.

Gatecrasher
27-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Doncaster can only implement a league structure change if he has 11 of the 12 clubs willing to vote for it. The fan protests meant that this was impossible.
But he dismisses the league structure openly as an option not even being considered by the clubs. They keep telling us the way we have to have it and nothing else. The sooner he's gone the better.

RIP
27-03-2013, 04:38 PM
The impact of TV on Scottish Football was never going to be a quick death. More like a death by a thousand cuts

In 2005/06 There were no lunchtime kickoffs. This season already there have been 8. There have been 9 or 10 DIFFERENT kickoff times

Adjusting kick off times for TV is disrupting family life, messing about the most important people (the supporters) and effectively killing the Scottish Game

Supporters need to unite and wrest power back from the authorities that are destroying Scottish Football

ancient hibee
28-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Everyone wants academies and youngsters getting extra special coaching.That has taken off under Regan at the SFA but nobody gives him any credit.That's football I suppose.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2013, 07:16 AM
After last summers shambles with sevco, Doncaster and Regan have no credibility left.

It wouldn't matter now if everything they did worked and they brought in a £500m 1 year sponsorship deal for an 18 club premier division with one home game and one away game, nobody trusts them, nobody believes a word thats comes from their mouths.

They need to go, there is no way forward with these men at the helm.