PDA

View Full Version : TV rights dispute

Gatecrasher
26-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Does anyone else remember a lady in England who took sky to court over TV rights as she was using a foreign tv box?
well now a former Celtic player is taking the SPL to court for the same reason.
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/tv-and-radio/former-celtic-player-seeks-1-8m-over-tv-dispute-1-2856632

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

McD
26-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Sky took her to court, as she was allegedly in breach of their exclusive rights to show live premiership football

blackpoolhibs
26-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Sky are pissing against the wind, nearly every club and pub here in Blackpool have these dodgy boxes, and they are that cheap (£130 for a year) folk are getting them in their homes now. :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
26-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Sky are pissing against the wind, nearly every club and pub here in Blackpool have these dodgy boxes, and they are that cheap (£130 for a year) folk are getting them in their homes now. :greengrin

Link! Source! Help! :o)

neilmartinrocks
26-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Link! Source! Help! :o)

Mate of mine gets his from a dutch\belgian sat. cost a fraction of what sky charge.

Gatecrasher
26-03-2013, 12:09 PM
If this catches on is it enough to burst the TV bubble?

Hibee87
26-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I vagualy remeber this, a woman in portsmouth was threatend by sky with court or somthing, so she called them on it and won the right to keep using this box.

I also know my local boozer had one (before the lady in portsmouths court win) and were fined well into the thousands for using it to broadcast games live. Think it was aljazzeera tv or somthing.

I dont see how using a different satalite box that has been legit paid for can be against the law :confused:

and would it work the other way i.e could some spanish tv satalite company sue users who have sky boxes in pubs abroad? surley it smacks of double standards on sky's part?

also my neighebours who are polish have a polish box in their house and can get some live games from the epl/spl is this illegal?

as someone pointed out, if this dude wins then whats to stop everyone geting a different sat box for their home, bursting the t.v's bubble

blackpoolhibs
26-03-2013, 12:16 PM
If this catches on is it enough to burst the TV bubble?

:dunno: but i'd bet it cant be helping, its all down to card sharing and a sky engineer I spoke to knew all about these boxes but couldn't see a way to beat them without recalling all the boxes and cards?

I'd imagine sky will find a way to stop it eventually, but then someone will find a way round the new security.

wee 162
26-03-2013, 01:12 PM
If it becomes a huge issue for Sky the Premiership will simply stop selling rights to anywhere else other than the UK where you could get a satellite connection (ie pretty much all EU countries). They'd still be able to sell rights to Asia and North America which is where most of their money comes from for overseas rights.

Personally I just stream the games I'm interested in if they're on Sky anyway because I refuse to put a penny in Rupert Murdochs pocket.

heretoday
27-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Harry Hood was good at spotting chances and it sounds like his skills haven't left him.