PDA

View Full Version : Hibs players who lost it

Steviie
26-03-2013, 12:38 AM
This thread is going to be about players we had at youth level who were expected to be good footballers but never quiet made it at hibs; go

frazeHFC
26-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Yvan Tomatula and that South American kid spring to mind. I dunno if i just got excited cos they were foreign but where the hell did they end up!? Same with Keegan Ayre and Elias Wagner, the latter that went to them lot.

Steviie
26-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Yvan Tomatula and that South American kid spring to mind. I dunno if i just got excited cos they were foreign but where the hell did they end up!? Same with Keegan Ayre and Elias Wagner, the latter that went to them lot.

Jamie mcklusky , would that be fair to say?

KWJ
26-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Mark Dempsie and Jonathan Baillie. Think it was injuries that got both of them.

What happened to Allan Dempsie? Mind him playing one game against St. J and his short sleeve top looked like long sleeves but he channelled his wee man syndrome well!

Scott Bannerman, lovely wee flick for a Latapy goal v Clydebank, was smaller than Latas too!

Emilio Bottiligieri, great name.

Hakan Sar-Temsoury

Damon Gray

Ross Campbell

David Grof

That'll do for noo! Agree mostly with McCluskey, had you excited.

Wheat Hound
26-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Damon Gray (goal on his debut at Pittodrie, Graeme Donald (3 goals in his first 4 games then turned into a right back by Mogadon), Jason Gardiner (touted as a future Scotland goalie but don't think he even made one competitive first team game for us).

Hibercelona
26-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Jamie mcklusky , would that be fair to say?

Jamie was a brilliant wee player on his day, but just didn't perform consistently enough.

Sure he signed for St Johnstone after leaving Hibs.

Doesn't seem to be getting much time at Dundee.

Hibercelona
26-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Damon Gray (goal on his debut at Pittodrie, Graeme Donald (3 goals in his first 4 games then turned into a right back by Mogadon), Jason Gardiner (touted as a future Scotland goalie but don't think he even made one competitive first team game for us).

At Hibs for over 8 years and never played a competitive game.

Went to Stirling after leaving us and played regularly for them for a season, then just disappeared off the radar completely.

hibs supporter
26-03-2013, 01:10 AM
kevin mcann kurtis byrne

West Upper
26-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Kurtis Byrne i was really surprised he didn't make it in the first team. He is now playing for Dundalk.

Auckland Hibs
26-03-2013, 02:02 AM

Lasting memory of him was being smashed in the back of the head with a pie whilst warming up at the original PBS - thrown by a Hibee (not sure if it was accidential or not). The pie exploded through his nice quiff, think we got beat 2-0.

Also, wasn't he also outed as being one of the "top boys" with the Hibs Casuals a few years back?

KeithTheHibby
26-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Graeme Donald arrived on the scene and scored a few goals in his first few games for Hibs but disappeared pretty soon after! Must have been mid 90's?

The Sea-gull
26-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Graeme Donald arrived on the scene and scored a few goals in his first few games for Hibs but disappeared pretty soon after! Must have been mid 90's?

You might be surprised at how long he was actually at Hibs. Think he "burst" on the scene and scored maybe 3 goals in 4 games as a young striker, maybe round about 1992/1993.

Sure he was still at Hibs around 96/97 having spent a few years as a squad player being sporadically played all over the midfield and defence by Miller who decided he wasn't a striker for some reason.

Sure he scored in a derby at ER and also against Oldco round about the same time. Mid 90s maybe.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2013, 08:55 AM
At Hibs for over 8 years and never played a competitive game.

Went to Stirling after leaving us and played regularly for them for a season, then just disappeared off the radar completely.

Sadly knee injuries took their toll done his cruciate/other ligaments twice that I know of, once when playing and again away from the game whilst at work. Now a joiner and doing okay for himself. I still keep in touch with Jason.

McD
26-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Sean welsh, looked like he had the world at his feet at u19s level, then got a string of bad injuries, and was probably a bit unlucky that he came through at a time when we had a few managers under pressure for results.

jonathan baillie had Larsson in his back pocket at 18 during the cup match, another lost to catastrophic injury.

alan Reid looked a decent player when he broke through, but never seemed to push on.

jay shields.

kevin McCann.

blackpoolhibs
26-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Bobby Thompson.

McD
26-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Saw this lad playing for the yams in an u19 derby, looked pretty average to be fair.he spent the whole second half (our touch line) getting berated by the yam coach for not tracking back, then getting berated for not being high up the pitch for long clearances when he had tracked back. Took great pleasure with my old man winding up the coach about his contradictory instructions, and generally getting on his nerves taking the piss right in his ear :greengrin

Jones28
26-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Most of the under 19's league/cup double team, where are they all?

Stevie Reid
26-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I always felt sorry for Chris Reid - watched him in a few reserve games growing up and he was always impressive. Served his apprenticeship by waiting patiently for a number of years for a chance which that pr!ck Duffy said he would get after Leighton left - only for JD to then sign Gottskalsson. By the time Reid was given his chance that season he came into a team that was on a horrendous run, with a defence that had changed numerous times and the whole team bereft of any confidence - he didn't stand a chance. Was a good age for a keeper to come into the first team, too.

Think he went to Hamilton and made a great start before doing his cruciate just a few games in IIRC. Real shame.

Hibrandenburg
26-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Tam McManus! Can remember watching him on a pre season tour in Germany and thinking this lad could go all the way.

Stevie Reid
26-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Tam McManus! Can remember watching him on a pre season tour in Germany and thinking this lad could go all the way.

I remember when Gordon Strachan sold Darren Huckerby when he was at Coventry, he said "Darren was a scorer of great goals - I'm now looking for a great goal scorer."

Tam was a scorer of great goals.

hibee_girl
26-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Jamie was a brilliant wee player on his day, but just didn't perform consistently enough.

Sure he signed for St Johnstone after leaving Hibs.

Doesn't seem to be getting much time at Dundee.

He's been injured for ages

Ray_
26-03-2013, 09:58 AM
A few of the older ones. Kenny Davidson, Billy McEwan, john Murphy, Alex Pringle, Derek Spalding & John Hazel. John Hazel played a fair few games & got the first goal in the 1971 cup win at Tynie, he was also immense, playing up front in the 72 semi against Rangers, took dogs abuse from the fans though.

I was going to say Jim Blair, but for the fear of being sectioned I decided to retract that one :greengrin

EVENTUALLY
26-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Pat Carroll, John Murphy, Willie Murray, ...? McGhee (v.fast striker) Derek Rodier

Andy74
26-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I think most of these never had it to lose.

sambajustice
26-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Mark McGraw

Derek Riordan

Garry O'Connor

Zazu62
26-03-2013, 12:12 PM
How many decent centre halfs have we produced in the last 10 years.. Hanlon?? Baillie although his career was cut short

--------
26-03-2013, 12:15 PM
A few of the older ones. Kenny Davidson, Billy McEwan, john Murphy, Alex Pringle, Derek Spalding & John Hazel. John Hazel played a fair few games & got the first goal in the 1971 cup win at Tynie, he was also immense, playing up front in the 72 semi against Rangers, took dogs abuse from the fans though.

I was going to say Jim Blair, but for the fear of being sectioned I decided to retract that one :greengrin

Good call, Ray. Good call. :devil:

LeighLoyal
26-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I thought Ross Campbell looked a good prospect, just didn't develop. Who was the wee guy that came in at right back for Whittaker tail end of 04? Had two blinders vs Hearts and Celtic and then faded away?

It's a wierd combination why some players fail. Ability, attitude, the physical side, or a mixture of all three. I think you need all three.

lapsedhibee
26-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I thought Ross Campbell looked a good prospect, just didn't develop. Who was the wee guy that came in at right back for Whittaker tail end of 04? Had two blinders vs Hearts and Celtic and then faded away?

It's a wierd combination why some players fail. Ability, attitude, the physical side, or a mixture of all three. I think you need all three.

Jay Shields

Stevie Reid
26-03-2013, 12:30 PM
How many decent centre halfs have we produced in the last 10 years.. Hanlon?? Baillie although his career was cut short

As was mentioned before, Mark Dempsie looked a real prospect when he came through - he took over in defence for our remaining few games of the First Division season when Yogi had an operation, and whilst the league was already won, he looked like a naturally composed defender in what was a very physical league. He actually reminded me of Paul Ritchie when he looked like he would develop into a quality player when he first came through at Hearts.

I remember De Vries gave him a torrid time in the 5-1 at Tynecastle in a game where Williamson (inexplicably, given his aerial prowess) left Paul Fenwick on the bench. Didn't recover from that.

Danderhall Hibs
26-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Scott Brown.

The_Exile
26-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Scott Brown.

Took the words out of my mouth, for whatever reason he didn't want to leave Scotland, he could've easily played at the top 4 level of the Premiership.

Every time he laced his boots he stuck out like a sore thumb up here.

Also, Jay Shields, hard as nails, about 4 foot 8 though, will always remember that crunching tackle on Hartley before the goal, taking ball and man in one savage move, Hibs class.

patlowe
26-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Took the words out of my mouth, for whatever reason he didn't want to leave Scotland, he could've easily played at the top 4 level of the Premiership.

Also, Jay Shields, hard as nails, about 4 foot 8 though, will always remember that crunching tackle on Hartley before the goal, taking ball and man in one savage move, Hibs class.

I actually thought Brown had quite long periods of inconsistency for us but it was his huge performances at Ibrox and Parkhead that really showed what a player he is/was.

The_Exile
26-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I actually thought Brown had quite long periods of inconsistency for us but it was his huge performances at Ibrox and Parkhead that really showed what a player he is/was.

Any player that young will have periods of inconsistency, he had more talent/drive/determination etc in his pinkie than most of the players he faced up against every week though, although I hold no grudges with him going to Celtic, I can't help but think he could've been one of the very best box to box midfielders this country has ever produced if he'd went to a world class set up like Man Utd (weren't they rumoured to be interested in him?).

sambajustice
26-03-2013, 12:58 PM
So some people here are trying to tell others that the captain of Celtic and Scotland has infact "lost it"???

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Billy Findlay.

NOLA
26-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Kurtis Byrne - maybe he believed what his dad said? Done nothing of note after that.

Eyemouth Hibby
26-03-2013, 01:22 PM
You might be surprised at how long he was actually at Hibs. Think he "burst" on the scene and scored maybe 3 goals in 4 games as a young striker, maybe round about 1992/1993.

Sure he was still at Hibs around 96/97 having spent a few years as a squad player being sporadically played all over the midfield and defence by Miller who decided he wasn't a striker for some reason.

Sure he scored in a derby at ER and also against Oldco round about the same time. Mid 90s maybe.

Alex Miller ruined this guy for me. 3 goals in 4 top level games as a 17 year old said it all. Miller inexplicably transformed him into a right back the following season yet he still managed to score against Rangers at ER. One of the most natural goalscorers I have seen at ER, albeit briefly. A better/more positive coach than Miller would have identified this and the lad would have went on to be a striker for Scotland I'm sure. Miller's negativity drove people away in their barrowloads. Perhaps it was his nepotism that finished Graeme Donald picking his abysmal sons in front of him. Anybody having a pop at Fenlon should remember just how bad this guy was, skol cup or no skol cup. Okay maybe not quite In Calderwood's class but at Easter Road way too long in my opinion.

Since90+2
26-03-2013, 01:39 PM

I think you have taken that abit far :greengrin

Stevie Reid
26-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Alex Miller ruined this guy for me. 3 goals in 4 top level games as a 17 year old said it all. Miller inexplicably transformed him into a right back the following season yet he still managed to score against Rangers at ER. One of the most natural goalscorers I have seen at ER, albeit briefly. A better/more positive coach than Miller would have identified this and the lad would have went on to be a striker for Scotland I'm sure. Miller's negativity drove people away in their barrowloads. Perhaps it was his nepotism that finished Graeme Donald picking his abysmal sons in front of him. Anybody having a pop at Fenlon should remember just how bad this guy was, skol cup or no skol cup. Okay maybe not quite In Calderwood's class but at Easter Road way too long in my opinion.

Not quite in Calderwood's class?! There's light years between Miller and Calderwood.

Future17
26-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I think you have taken that abit far :greengrin

There are worse players than Brown in the midfield ranks of the Premiership's top 4 teams.

cam75
26-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Jay Shields

Did he not go through Roy kean at Easter road(no fear)?:-)

The_Exile
26-03-2013, 03:48 PM
So some people here are trying to tell others that the captain of Celtic and Scotland has infact "lost it"???

I wouldn't say he's "lost it", but can you seriously say he's the same player that left us to what he is now? If he'd went somewhere better than Celtic we'd be looking at one of the best midfielders in Europe, he had so much potential. He was probably the best one of the golden generation in terms of all round complete player, he lacked a goal threat but that could've been coached.

I'm sure we've all got mates of various allegencies, a few jambo mates of mine were gutted he went there. All my own personal opinion of course.

Up The Bracket
26-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Damon Gray
Elias Wagner
Kurtis Byrne
Ross Campbell
Sean Welsh
Darran Thomson
Jamie McCluskey
Jay Shields
Kevin McCann
Darren McCormack
David Grof

Danderhall Hibs
26-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Certainly hasn't improved. Maybe even gone backwards.

PatHead
26-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Damon Gray
Elias Wagner
Kurtis Byrne
Ross Campbell
Sean Welsh
Darran Thomson
Jamie McCluskey
Jay Shields
Kevin McCann
Darren McCormack
David Grof

Think David Grof was freed by Walsall a couple of weeks ago. Always thought Kevin Harper never achieved what he could have in the game. Looked like he would be a regular Scotland player with his speed.

Malthibby
26-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Jonathon Baillie has been mentioned a couple of times - was absolutely convinced he was a future captain & the best home-grown CH in years.
Such a damn shame.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Is it because of us thinking he was better than he actually was because he shone in a Hibs team? I certainly thought he had the potential to become a far better player.

Phil MaGlass
26-03-2013, 04:52 PM

to be fair to him he has had a big share of injuries, I still think he is a really good player that could go on to bigger things than sellik. Absolutely wasted at sellik.

fat freddy
26-03-2013, 05:19 PM
danny lennon...i thought he was going to be a top player for us but he just never got the chance / was too lightweight (delete as appropriate)...had a decent career elsewhere but i always felt we should have stuck with him.

coco mcdonald...outstanding for the youth team in 90/91 when they won the youth cup...alex miller thought he was too small and falkirk reaped the benefits...scored a lovely winner at ibrox for the bairns when he played up front with mo johnstone..he scored a few against us as well...a 2-2 draw at e.r. stands out...crunchie was on fire for us and he needed to be.

Holmesdale Hibs
26-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Paul Fenwick he was amasing for the 2001 season then disappeared.

hfc rd
26-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Derek Riordan? Never really flourished elsewhere.

bruno
26-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Sadly knee injuries took their toll done his cruciate/other ligaments twice that I know of, once when playing and again away from the game whilst at work. Now a joiner and doing okay for himself. I still keep in touch with Jason.
Still helping mark cairns doing the goalie school and watching his laddie score goals for fun for fernieside. Really nice guy too.

ChooseLife
26-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Humphrey Rudge

GoldenEagle
26-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Still helping mark cairns doing the goalie school and watching his laddie score goals for fun for fernieside. Really nice guy too.

Sure he's just had a wee girl as well.

Pity he didn't make it, he was there or there abouts around time of Reid and glad to hear that he's doing well for himself.

hfc rd
26-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Ross Chisholm.

You might say David Wotherspoon as well?

DAVE1875
26-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Remember hearing the about brilliant talent we'd secured from Everton in Tom McCready then not a cheep after that

Billy Whizz
26-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Always thought Kevin Harper was going to be a superstar when he broke through as a teenager. Never quite hit the heights for whatever reason

Hibeesmad
26-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Where is thicot these days?

StevieC
26-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Bobby Thompson.

:greengrin

That's the one that sprung to my mind as well when I read the thread title.

shades
26-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Jordan Cropley!! used to watch him when we played reserve matches at Almondvale, thought his attitude Stunk/Stank

McD
26-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Jordan Cropley!! used to watch him when we played reserve matches at Almondvale, thought his attitude Stunk/Stank

Completely agree, had skill but was a lazy sod and a prima Donna.

McD
26-03-2013, 06:19 PM

I felt brown could have been a Gerrard type player. He had the great running power, the gallusness, the tackling ability, and the appetite. As a young player, Gerrard didn't have the same passing range and goal scoring ability he does now, he worked to add them to his game. Brown had the potential to become something akin to that, but strachan and Lennon turned him into a sitting player, tasked with little more than breāking up play, they both like to have their wide midfielders attack, and the central ones sit. Didn't Newcastle offer 9 million after he'd played just a couple do friendlies for Celtic?

a greāt shame, and waste of talent. He won't lack for money when he retires, and probably have few regrets, but he could have played at the top end if the premiership, and at a decent level in European competition. A career that promised more than has been delivered.

Hiber-nation
26-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Stevie Brown
Willie Temperley

Up The Bracket
26-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Remember hearing the about brilliant talent we'd secured from Everton in Tom McCready then not a cheep after that

Anyone know what happened?

jdships
26-03-2013, 06:59 PM
MALCOLM BOGIE

The original ' Have ball will travel' merchant - superb ball control BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
We used to shout ' Open the gates and he'll run right out '

Kevin Harper was my biggest disappointment - really thought he was going right to the top !!

18/03/07
26-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Louis Horner
Scott Taggart
Ollie Russel

Ray_
26-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Two came from Leeds in the late seventies, was supposed to have been top prospects, I don't think either played a game. I'm think their names were White [Whyte] & Reid, couldn't be certain though.

PatHead
26-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Mark Caughy

Jonnyboy
26-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Two came from Leeds in the late seventies, was supposed to have been top prospects, I don't think either played a game. I'm think their names were White [Whyte] & Reid, couldn't be certain though.

Correct Ray and both named David

eastterrace
26-03-2013, 09:21 PM
im sure we were going to sign a player called ricky hill but one look of our weather he was back home , he came from the Caribbean i think

Hiber-nation
26-03-2013, 09:53 PM
im sure we were going to sign a player called ricky hill but one look of our weather he was back home , he came from the Caribbean i think

I'm sure I've got a programme with him on the front page in the snow...looks like he headed back on the first flight!

eastterrace
26-03-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm sure I've got a programme with him on the front page in the snow...looks like he headed back on the first flight!

yes i seem to remember him with a photo in the snow , and that was enough, he was off back home.:top marks

.Sean.
26-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Now plays for Haddington Athletic, as does Jack Wilson.

Blair Tolmie, either signed from or left us for Celtic, now plays for Nitten Star.

Haymaker
26-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Anyone knowe what happened?

My friend from Uni knows him well (from everton youth) and it just didnt work out. Tom had quick feet but played in a role that many others did/do. Hasnt made it elsewhere so I dont think we have missed one here.

Peevemor
27-03-2013, 12:26 AM

We signed him from the Bermuda hotels league. He was at ER for a few months (I went to see him play for the reserves against hearts one very cold Friday night) but I think he was eventually mutually consented - the climate reason was given but Hibs didn't try that hard to keep him either.

Ray_
27-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Correct Ray and both named David

Thanks Jonnyboy. Here's another for you, I'm sure it was after Onions injury, i know Des Bremner took over the right back role in the next game against Dundee Utd [1-3] and held that role in to the next season & Onions sort of recovery. Somewhere in the remaining 72/3 season's games a kid, may have been called Young, played at RB in one of the home game. I remember his picture in the Evening News & there was this laddie with a full mop of light brown hair, but when he took the field the next afternoon, he was as bald as a coot.

I didn't remember him from the reserves at the time and I don't think I ever saw him play again & I can't remember the opposition.

Jones28
27-03-2013, 12:30 AM

I think it's more that he never reached anything like his potential

KWJ
27-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Scott Brown would probably disagree. His winners medals and European exploits would not have been achieved had he gone to Newcastle.

Hiber-nation
27-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy. Here's another for you, I'm sure it was after Onions injury, i know Des Bremner took over the right back role in the next game against Dundee Utd [1-3] and held that role in to the next season & Onions sort of recovery. Somewhere in the remaining 72/3 season's games a kid, may have been called Young, played at RB in one of the home game. I remember his picture in the Evening News & there was this laddie with a full mop of light brown hair, but when he took the field the next afternoon, he was as bald as a coot.

I didn't remember him from the reserves at the time and I don't think I ever saw him play again & I can't remember the opposition.

That was Tommy Stevens I think, went on to manage Berwick.

H18Y GW
27-03-2013, 04:45 AM

I don't think he is anywhere near as influential in games as he was at ER , if he had progressed he would be playing down south , he hasn't so he isn't , he doesn't stick out even for the runaway leaders in a poor SPL ,.

Still a good player but not what he should be , look where Charlie Adams has went on to play .. Says it all

Kaiser1962
27-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Hazel is the first guy I remember getting that sort of abuse as, at times, it appeared he could do nothing right in some folks eyes.

Since90+2
27-03-2013, 08:04 AM
I don't think he is anywhere near as influential in games as he was at ER , if he had progressed he would be playing down south , he hasn't so he isn't , he doesn't stick out even for the runaway leaders in a poor SPL ,.

Still a good player but not what he should be , look where Charlie Adams has went on to play .. Says it all

You could argue that Brown has has a more successful career than Adam thus far, for instance I dont think Adam has ever played in the Champions League?

Cod Boy
27-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Ray Wilkins

Aubenas
27-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Phil Gordon, Jas Brown, Ian Hendrie, Mark McGraw

Edinburgh Green
27-03-2013, 08:33 AM
There are worse players than Brown in the midfield ranks of the Premiership's top 4 teams.

Name them. Scott Brown wouldn't get a sniff at a top 4 team.

Treadstone
27-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Name them. Scott Brown wouldn't get a sniff at a top 4 team.

John Obi Mikel and Scott Parker.

Since90+2
27-03-2013, 08:58 AM
John Obi Mikel and Scott Parker.

Both better players than Brown IMO.

Treadstone
27-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Both better players than Brown IMO.

Yet to see JOM make a forward pass and Parkers lack of left foot would make an SPL player blush. The game is all about opinions.

Ray_
27-03-2013, 10:06 AM
That was Tommy Stevens I think, went on to manage Berwick.

Thanks for that, your spot on. He played in the home game against Motherwell on the 14/4/73, his only senior game and left for Hamilton in 1974. Also in that young Hibs team that day was Jim McArthur, Bobby Smith, Tony Higgins & John Hazel. A very poor attendance for the disappointing end to 72/3.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=3282

silverhibee
27-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Scott Brown would probably disagree. His winners medals and European exploits would not have been achieved had he gone to Newcastle.

Beat me to it. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
27-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I personally thought Scott Brown could have gone to England and had a great career as an attacking midfielder, but he went to the smellies and they changed him into a holding midfield thug.

He always had that nasty streak in him, but there was a lot more to his game than he's showing now. He will still have earnt decent money and played European football against some of the best, but for me he's not fulfilled his potential.

Speedway
27-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Davie Fellinger - who always got in and around the squad but looked knackered as soon as he came on.

Scott Brunton - Who no-one remembers

Graeme Love - Had one game at L/B where he looked great and rarely got a look in beyond that.

Stevie Reid
27-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Davie Fellinger - who always got in and around the squad but looked knackered as soon as he came on.

Graeme Love - Had one game at L/B where he looked great and rarely got a look in beyond that.

Scored against us to bring an end to our 13 game winning streak in the First Division.

Iceman1875
27-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Jay Shields and Torben Joneleit, what about the french striker Collins signed on loan, think he's playing in Italy now??

LeighLoyal
27-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Joneleit was subject to a Ģ1.5m transfer recently so hardly a flop.

Cauld Bovril
27-03-2013, 12:34 PM

I thought Fellinger would`ve went on to be a great player. I played against him at youth level and he was unstoppable. The sort of kid who scored 3 or 4 in every game.
Stevie Raynes was another cracking player who never quite made it at Hibs.

The_Exile
27-03-2013, 12:45 PM

You could argue that Brown has has a more successful career than Adam thus far, for instance I dont think Adam has ever played in the Champions League?

Alen Ormen played in the Champions League, just sayin' :greengrin

H18Y GW
27-03-2013, 02:01 PM

I cant see playing in the CL as a gauge , so has Gary Caldwell and probably as captain the same as Brown ..

I prefer Scott to Adams every day but its about playing every week at the highest level you can..

Adams plays above his station, Brown sits tight on 15k , it's opinions , I'd rather play EPL than SPL ..

H18Y GW
27-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Scott Brunton skips for Slateford first 16 in the water of leith and is a **** ...good lad though

Drem
27-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Isack Refvick and Sven Matthieson, both Norwegians.
Arrived in time to give Morton a right thumping in The League Cup.
Whole load of grief after that with The Government regards full caps for country etc and headed of home.

PatHead
27-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Whole load of grief after that with The Government regards full caps for country etc and headed of home.

Sure one of them went on to play for Rangers.

DH1875
27-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Defo Graham Love and Chris Reid :agree:.

Eyemouth Hibby
27-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Not quite in Calderwood's class?! There's light years between Miller and Calderwood.

Class of crapness Stevie I meant if crapness is a word.

Ray_
27-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Sure one of them went on to play for Rangers.

Isack Refvick was on trial for them a few years later but didn't sign up.

Ray_
27-03-2013, 06:32 PM

The problem was with Isack Refvick, he wasn't the full cap where as Sven Matthieson was, both went back to their original clubs, with Isack Refvick playing seven games to Sven Matthieson's three.

Tom Hart wanted to take on the home office, citing Scottish football was a different case to England's then 1st division, who could afford full Internationalists.

PS Isack Refvick scored the two Hibs goals in the second leg of the league cup quarter final against Morton, hours after signing. Hibs went through 2-1 and that was the only goals he scored for the club.

ancient hibee
27-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Another from the Malcolm Bogie era was Davy Hogg.

Players used to stay at Hibs for years and only play a handful of games which meant that when they got in the team they were desperate to do well.Jock Buchanan was the prime example-understudy to Smith AND Reilly-what a job-always booed by the crowd when his name was announced because it meant one of them wasn't playing.First British player to score a home goal in a European competition.The year Baker(who was the next player to keep him out-along with McLeod)was scoring 40 odd goals Buchanan was scoring over 60 for the reserves.Faded out of the game after leaving Hibs having been here 7/8 years and lucky if he played a couple of dozen times.

Hiber-nation
27-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Jim McKay - 2 goals in his first 2 games on loan from Brora, looked decent but he only played another 3 games for us then Hibs and Brora couldn't agree a fee and he went back North and was never heard of again ...never worked that one.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=800

heidtheba
27-03-2013, 08:31 PM
In my time, ones I'd heard lots about but who then never fulfilled that hype, or who just didn't do as well as I expected or even hoped for...

Scott Bannerman (who was he the nephew of?)
Emilio Bottiglieri
Kevin Harper -how he never got a full cap I don't know - didn't he get 3 in one game for Scotland B?
Hakim Sar Temsour
Jamie Mcluskey
Paul Lovering - loved watching him
Michael Renwick
Graham Love
Greame Donald
Chris Jackson - had Gazza in his pocket in one game at ER I remember

I second the comments about Danny Lennon, thought he was outstanding in a home game against Aberdeen in 93/94 but didn't do much after it.

and sorry to say this, one I loved watching for us as a winger who, sadly, didn't do too badly elsewhere...Paul Hartley

Jonnyboy
27-03-2013, 08:53 PM

T'was Tam Stevens, Ray. Suffered from alopecia hence that bald head. More on him here http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=779

Edit: I see I was beaten too it :greengrin

Treadstone
27-03-2013, 09:04 PM
The problem was with Isack Refvick, he wasn't the full cap where as Sven Matthieson was, both went back to their original clubs, with Isack Refvick playing seven games to Sven Matthieson's three.

Tom Hart wanted to take on the home office, citing Scottish football was a different case to England's then 1st division, who could afford full Internationalists.

Still a problem now, any EU player can come no questions asked whereas Lionel Messi would have to apply for a work permit (he would get it) but non-EU players would have to satisfy criteria.

Danderhall Hibs
27-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Scott Bannerman (who was he the nephew of?)

John Robertson.

Aubenas
27-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Pat McCurdy John Salton Pat McGlinchey Derek Spalding Paul McGovern Derek McWilliams Lawrence Tierney Peter Welsh Pat Carroll

Jonnyboy
27-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Pat McCurdy John Salton Pat McGlinchey Derek Spalding Paul McGovern Derek McWilliams Lawrence Tierney Peter Welsh Pat Carroll

Paul :wink: :greengrin

Aubenas
27-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Paul

You must be a lot older than me to have that clarity .....:greengrin:agree::wink::na na:

oops :doh:

Jonnyboy
27-03-2013, 10:25 PM
You must be a lot older than me to have that clarity .....:greengrin:agree::wink::na na:

oops :doh:

GoldenEagle
27-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Stevie Raynes.

Ray_
27-03-2013, 10:41 PM
T'was Tam Stevens, Ray. Suffered from alopecia hence that bald head. More on him here http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=779

Edit: I see I was beaten too it :greengrin

Oh yes, we've been to Norway since then, keep up. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
27-03-2013, 10:47 PM
[/B]

Oh yes, we've been to Norway since then, keep up. :greengrin

A great wee story re Refvik and Mathisen. Tom Hart told them the club would fly them over to Edinburgh to sign but the players, who were aware of each other but had never met, chose instead to come over by boat, landing in Leith!

Ray_
27-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Ian Wilkinson from the late sixties to the start of the seventies. Played in Sloop's position, like Pringle & Spalding when we really needed somebody big and ugly as they were never going to shift JB.

Ray_
27-03-2013, 10:59 PM

A great wee story re Refvik and Mathisen. Tom Hart told them the club would fly them over to Edinburgh to sign but the players, who were aware of each other but had never met, chose instead to come over by boat, landing in Leith!

Is that why they never arrived until the day of the Morton game :greengrin It worked as well, with Refvik's double, against a very good Morton team, Andy Ritchie got the player of the year award and he was their talisman much in the same way McLeod was ours.

They also had Bobby Thompson, McNeil, Tolmie and Roy Baines in goal.

I suppose we should include Roy Baines & Thomson Allen, who both had fine careers after leaving Hibs, Baines ended up at Celtic, [as did Gordon Marshall, who was a much much more experienced youngster and who made his Hibs debut against Hearts at ER [0-0] so he didn't concede] & Allen was capped while at Dundee.

matty_f
27-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Anyone mentioned Maka yet? Where is he now?

Squealing pig
28-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Stevie Brown
Willie Temperley

Willie stays in my street he's a labourer for a brickie now. Good memory before my time but know he only had a handful of games

Squealing pig
28-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Dave Farrell , Graeme love , Jason gardiner, Chris Reid, Darren McCormack , emilo bottigleri, was a guy in the reserve/under 19's team in the 90's who scored every game hat tricks for fun all the time, couldn't wait for him to step up but he never did, can any1 remember his name? He was prolific to say the least.

Hibeesmad
28-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Colin Nish.

lord bunberry
28-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Willie Irvine the 2nd one. He started great then was never seen again

MGmick
28-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Pat McCurdy John Salton Paul McGlinchey Derek Spalding Paul McGovern Derek McWilliams Lawrence Tierney Peter Welsh Pat Carroll

Paul was my pal when we were bairns at St John Vianney's, I lost touch after we moved to Thurso in 72. The next I heard of him was sometime in 83, I was cleaning a cooker getting ready to move out of a married quarter in the Shetlands and he was playing for Hibs in a radio commentary game against Celtic. Looking back at the time, while I couldn't have dreamed of doing what I was doing that day, what he was up to didn't surprise me too much as he was the best player, by miles, in my early childhood.

So, does anyone know what, why, where it didn't work out?

Hiber-nation
28-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Paul was my pal when we were bairns at St John Vianney's, I lost touch after we moved to Thurso in 72. The next I heard of him was sometime in 83, I was cleaning a cooker getting ready to move out of a married quarter in the Shetlands and he was playing for Hibs in a radio commentary game against Celtic. Looking back at the time, while I couldn't have dreamed of doing what I was doing that day, what he was up to didn't surprise me too much as he was the best player, by miles, in my early childhood.

So, does anyone know what, why, where it didn't work out?

Use to watch Paul in the reserves and he was different class and a really sound guy. Maybe lack of height ruled him out as a central defender.

GoldenEagle
28-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Paul's a coach now with Hibs

Danderhall Hibs
28-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Anyone mentioned Maka yet? Where is he now?

:hilarious Sure he was destined for Real Madrid? Certainly "a higher level than Hibs" was banded about as a certainty.

Beefster
28-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Dave Farrell , Graeme love , Jason gardiner, Chris Reid, Darren McCormack , emilo bottigleri, was a guy in the reserve/under 19's team in the 90's who scored every game hat tricks for fun all the time, couldn't wait for him to step up but he never did, can any1 remember his name? He was prolific to say the least.

Outrageous. One of my favourite ever Hibs players.

Peevemor
28-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Outrageous. One of my favourite ever Hibs players.

Farrell & Fellinger - 2 'F' words in the same team.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-03-2013, 11:08 AM
:hilarious Sure he was destined for Real Madrid? Certainly "a higher level than Hibs" was banded about as a certainty.

This could be fun, who is his agent on here again?

Up The Bracket
28-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Andy McNeil? :dunno:

Always thought he was a decent enough keeper and was quite dissappointed when we let him go. He's at Livi now IIRC.

Danderhall Hibs
28-03-2013, 12:01 PM
This could be fun, who is his agent on here again?

Various. Mainly led by Hibs Spain.

.Sean.
28-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Enoch Showunmi had sadly list it by the time we signed him

Danderhall Hibs
28-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Has Callum Booth been mentioned? He looked like a star in the making.

Skanko79
28-03-2013, 12:57 PM
played in the same school team as scott bannerman.

he was a smashing player.

Big Sexy Dave
28-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Tam Mcmanus, I thought he looked a better player than Riordan, last I heard he was at Ayr, Sean Lynch was always high-rated, think he's at Airdrie.

Haymaker
28-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Tam Mcmanus, I thought he looked a better player than Riordan, last I heard he was at Ayr, Sean Lynch was always high-rated, think he's at Airdrie.

Tam was over in the states iirc playimg for a second teir team outside NYC.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Never knew that. He was good enough to get the whole team to autograph my 1979 Cup Final programme (1st game).

MGmick
28-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Use to watch Paul in the reserves and he was different class and a really sound guy. Maybe lack of height ruled him out as a central defender.

Thanks for that chaps. Didn't realise Paul had become a central defender. When we were bairns I was much better than him at seeing over walls. :greengrin