PDA

View Full Version : Guernsey FC

LancsHibs
25-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Anybody see the feature on Guernsy FC on skysports news? play in green with white sleeves, looked like he Hibees:greengrin Now that would be a great friendly for his summer, sort it out Rod! They pay in some tin pot league but the stadium looked tidy and packed, seems they have the backing of the whole island. Good luck to them :flag:

lapsedhibee
25-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Anybody see the feature on Guernsy FC on skysports news? play in green with white sleeves, looked like he Hibees:greengrin Now that would be a great friendly for his summer, sort it out Rod! They play in some tin pot league but the stadium looked tidy and packed, seems they have the backing of the whole island. Good luck to them

We'd be well matched then!

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-03-2013, 01:34 PM
http://www.guernseyfc.com/uploads/images/GFC-1010.jpg

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I played for a team that entered that cup for a few years, and we never did very well at all. Arsley town won it from our league the Spartans south midlands league. We won the league and beat them 3 times that season iirc. I remember being very jealous, they got to play at Wembley.

EdinMike
25-03-2013, 01:42 PM
I like the sound of a "Green n' White Island" trip.. :agree:

HH81
25-03-2013, 04:47 PM
I would much rather Jersey for a pre season game :agree:

Been to their ground one stand but was quite tidy.

iwasthere1972
25-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Lived and worked in Guernsey for 25 years and a great place to be. Remember reading that they paid for the flights and accommodation of the visiting English teams that they played on the island. Matt Le Tissier a local legend and was lucky to have bumped into him on a sailing from Weymouth to Guernsey many moons ago and got his autograph.

Good luck Guernsey..........my second home.

Hibercelona
25-03-2013, 05:43 PM
We'd be well matched then!

I reckon a few in the starting squad would struggle in that match tbh.

soupy
25-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Lived and worked in Guernsey for 25 years and a great place to be. Remember reading that they paid for the flights and accommodation of the visiting English teams that they played on the island. Matt Le Tissier a local legend and was lucky to have bumped into him on a sailing from Weymouth to Guyernsey many moons ago and got his autograph.

Good luck Guernsey..........my second home.

Matt le Tissier brother helps run the club, not sure in what capacity tho, but from what I seen on ssn this morning they still pay for the visiting teams expenses, their players play for free (just like oor kev) and they need 250k per year to run the club..

Ps smart strip also :-)

Sir David Gray
25-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Matt le Tissier brother helps run the club, not sure in what capacity tho, but from what I seen on ssn this morning they still pay for the visiting teams expenses, their players play for free (just like oor kev) and they need 250k per year to run the club..

He's the club secretary.

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2013, 06:51 PM

I lived in Guernsey for a short time in the 80's, and played against one of MLT's brothers.... Carl, IIRC. I say "played", but I never got close enough to him :greengrin

The local English team is Plymouth Argyle, who had a run that year to the FA Cup semis. They also play in green. :agree:

Sir David Gray
25-03-2013, 06:53 PM
I lived in Guernsey for a short time in the 80's, and played against one of MLT's brothers.... Carl, IIRC. I say "played", but I never got close enough to him :greengrin

The local English team is Plymouth Argyle, who had a run that year to the FA Cup semis. They also play in green. :agree:

A just a couple of hours away is Yeovil Town.

Who also play in green! :greengrin

J-C
25-03-2013, 06:57 PM
My daughters over there just now with her friend visiting her mats mum, will get a report when she's back.

tamig
25-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Anybody see the feature on Guernsy FC on skysports news? play in green with white sleeves, looked like he Hibees:greengrin Now that would be a great friendly for his summer, sort it out Rod! They pay in some tin pot league but the stadium looked tidy and packed, seems they have the backing of the whole island. Good luck to them :flag:

There was a guy on 606 on Saturday and he said a helicopter was brought in to dry out their pitch at the weekend :agree:

tamig
25-03-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.guernseyfc.com/uploads/images/GFC-1010.jpg

Is that no Callum Milne on the far right of the bottom row?? :wink:

Hibernia Na Eir
25-03-2013, 08:05 PM
a Stu Lovell lookalikey front row too!

iwasthere1972
25-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Did you ever play 5 a side fitba at Beau Sejour or drink at The Fermain Tavern? I may have played against you or thrashed you at darts or pool.

Radar67
25-03-2013, 08:31 PM
A just a couple of hours away is Yeovil Town.

Who also play in green! :greengrin

Pre season friendly against Yeovil would be good, only about 40 miles away for me!

macca70
25-03-2013, 11:26 PM
There was a guy on 606 on Saturday and he said a helicopter was brought in to dry out their pitch at the weekend :agree:

They've had a nightmare with there pitch at Footes Lane. Almost every home league games through November, December and January was off due to waterlogged pitch or postponed due to there cup games.

I tried to go to a couple of games when over at Chrimbo/New Year but the games were called off.

They have loads of games in hand over other teams in there league.

When they decided to join the English leagues in 2011, they had to start from the very bottom and are currently working there way up through the leagues, just like The Rangers..

There only semi-pro, like our Junior/Senior teams. Players get their expenses, maybe a little extra but the club covers cost of flights to away games and pays for flights for all teams to fly over to guernsey.

They get about 1000 at there home games, much more than the teams in the rest of there league. Not bad for an island with a population of 65,500.

Team P Pts
1 Egham Town 28 69
2 Epsom & Ewel 32 63
3 Cove 29 57
4 Windsor 34 57
5 Badshot Lea 29 52
6 Guernsey 21 51
7 South Park 28 51
8 Molesey 31 48
9 Horley Town 29 47
10 Croydon 33 46
11 Raynes Park Vale 30 45