PDA

View Full Version : Car Thread

Gatecrasher
25-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Is there anyone else on here with a general interest in cars?

Whats your dream car?
What do you currently have?
what production cars do you find beautiful or fugly?
Do you take it to the car wash or do it yourself?

My dream car is an Aston Martin DB9.
I currently own a Corsa but just bought a Citroen DS3.
I think the vw scirocco is a thing of beuty
I clean my own car

Any cars coming out in the future you like the look of?

This will either go well or really badly :greengrin

Jack
25-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Whats your dream car?
What production cars do you find beautiful or fugly?

In the interest of your sanity. :greengrin

BMW 7 series B12, or a BMW 840/850/860

Not sure they did a 860, I think they did, but I’d want one.

These are all older cars so I’d have to find a good one then give it to Derin to restore.

Don’t have a car just now, don’t need one, use my wifes car if I have to. Gave up a BMW 735.

Most production cars these days are fulgy.

I washed my own car, car shampoo much more expensive than I use on my hair, carnauba wax all that sort of stuff. I still have a lot of my cleaning stuff, the ‘cloths’ I used were soooooo sss ooo ffff tttt :rolleyes:

I take my wifes car to the soapy wash.

Hibrandenburg
25-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Ford Capri Mk2 was what I drooled over as a kid. Would love to own one just for fun. Got an S-Max because it's convenient for long journeys with the nipper and am quite happy with it, so much so that the next one's already on order and should be delivered next month.

Have never owned an open top car but quite fancy one for the hot city summers we get here. Funny thing is that even though I live in Germany, German cars just don't do it for me.

Gatecrasher
25-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Whats your dream car?
What production cars do you find beautiful or fugly?

In the interest of your sanity. :greengrin

BMW 7 series B12, or a BMW 840/850/860

Not sure they did a 860, I think they did, but I’d want one.

These are all older cars so I’d have to find a good one then give it to Derin to restore.

Don’t have a car just now, don’t need one, use my wifes car if I have to. Gave up a BMW 735.

Most production cars these days are fulgy.

I washed my own car, car shampoo much more expensive than I use on my hair, carnauba wax all that sort of stuff. I still have a lot of my cleaning stuff, the ‘cloths’ I used were soooooo sss ooo ffff tttt :rolleyes:

I take my wifes car to the soapy wash.

I can never keep up with the BMW range, too many numbers flying about. Just had a quick google, those are some nice cars you mentioned, I also spend more on car shampoo than I do for myself, its a vicious cycle :greengrin

Ford Capri Mk2 was what I drooled over as a kid. Would love to own one just for fun. Got an S-Max because it's convenient for long journeys with the nipper and am quite happy with it, so much so that the next one's already on order and should be delivered next month.

Have never owned an open top car but quite fancy one for the hot city summers we get here. Funny thing is that even though I live in Germany, German cars just don't do it for me.

Capri is mean looking motor :agree:. I have no kids etc to consider when buying a car so it must be a bit difficult when considering family practicallity as well as something nice to own/drive. I bet your car has some nice winter tyers though :greengrin.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-03-2013, 01:37 PM
When I was a bairn the de tomaso pantera was a thing of beauty. Never learned to drive, so, the other questions are n/a!

blaikie
25-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Whats your dream car?

My dream car is an Aston Martin DB9.
I currently own a Corsa but just bought a Citroen DS3.
I think the vw scirocco is a thing of beuty
I clean my own car

Any cars coming out in the future you like the look of?

This will either go well or really badly :greengrin
My dream car is the Ford Focus RS mk2
I have a Ford Focus Zetec in Hibee Green!
Really like the Abrath 500 but the new Vauxhall Adam is hideous!
I clean it twice a week in the winter just a good old jet wash and foam!

Sylar
25-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I have a few dream cars - I quite like some of the American muscle cars and I'd love either a Mustang (new or classic), Camero (the new one) or a classic Dodge charger. My father-in-law used to drive a Bentley Continental GT Coupe - stunning car to drive (after declining several offers to do so in fear of damaging it) and tapping the accelerator felt like sitting in a jet engine rampaging along the runway. The Ferrari F430 is on my shopping list when I eventually come into a ton of money...

Right now I "drive" (it doesn't move much right now) a Seat Ibiza SC which I bought prior to starting my PhD and I'd never buy another Seat - it's been horrendous. About to move down to Surrey so I'll probably get rid of it and go to 2 wheels (minus the engine!).

I think the Peugot RZ is beautiful and I'd kill to be able to consider buying one!

I wash my own car when the weather is nice enough but otherwise, the drive-through foam/jet washes do the trick when it's colder :agree:

Gatecrasher
28-03-2013, 11:47 AM
When I was a bairn the de tomaso pantera was a thing of beauty. Never learned to drive, so, the other questions are n/a!

My dream car is the Ford Focus RS mk2
I have a Ford Focus Zetec in Hibee Green!
Really like the Abrath 500 but the new Vauxhall Adam is hideous!
I clean it twice a week in the winter just a good old jet wash and foam!
Agree about the Adam, I kept getting leaflets through from Vauxhall advertising it and didn't like it at all.

I have a few dream cars - I quite like some of the American muscle cars and I'd love either a Mustang (new or classic), Camero (the new one) or a classic Dodge charger. My father-in-law used to drive a Bentley Continental GT Coupe - stunning car to drive (after declining several offers to do so in fear of damaging it) and tapping the accelerator felt like sitting in a jet engine rampaging along the runway. The Ferrari F430 is on my shopping list when I eventually come into a ton of money...

Right now I "drive" (it doesn't move much right now) a Seat Ibiza SC which I bought prior to starting my PhD and I'd never buy another Seat - it's been horrendous. About to move down to Surrey so I'll probably get rid of it and go to 2 wheels (minus the engine!).

I think the Peugot RZ is beautiful and I'd kill to be able to consider buying one!

I wash my own car when the weather is nice enough but otherwise, the drive-through foam/jet washes do the trick when it's colder :agree:
The American cars would be brilliant just to hire for a couple of weeks and see why these cars are so popular. The Shelby Mustang looks a beast of a car.

marinello59
28-03-2013, 01:52 PM
I always liked SAABs prior to their ownership by GM. They always had something just a little bit different to offer and did a lot to make turbo charged engines reliable and affordable. Even after GM started sticking them on Vectra frames there was something about them...... Or maybe I just loved the aircraft style dash.
Current baby, Golf R32..... 3.2 litres, no turbo, gives a lovely blast of linear power with a superb soundtrack to match. Hand wash only.

CB_NO3
28-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I hate driving. I do have a license. I used to have a wee red Renault Clio. I currently cycle to work and I own a Vespa scooter. If I came into millions of pounds it would be a Jaguar or a Rolls Royce for me.

calumhibee1
28-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Drive a 1 series
Don't wash it myself
Would love a Ferrari 458 or an old (late 60s) Shelby Mustang if money was no object
Like somebody else said earlier, think the VW Scirocco is a beautiful car

Pete
29-03-2013, 03:01 AM
Dream car is a Ferrari California.

I sometimes drive a vauxhall meriva

There aren't that many ugly cars nowadays. However, I still get annoyed by these "Lucida estima" vans with the mirrors on the back pointing down so the driver can see the bumper.

The original XK8 is an image of beauty from every angle. In time it will be mentioned in the same breath as the e-type. The Alfa Romeo Brera comes second.

Peevemor
29-03-2013, 05:55 AM
My dream car would also be an Aston Martin of some sort - DB7 maybe? If you'd asked when I was younger I would have said either an e-type or a Triumph Stag - still wouldn't say no to either in fact.

Currently drive a Toyota Corolla Verso.

In terms of production cars, I find the new beetles pretty smart and would like to shoot the person/people that designed the Fiat Multipla - WTF is that all about?

Stirctly car wash or jet wash for me.

Caversham Green
29-03-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm a classic car fan - I drove a Triumph TR6 as my only car for about eight years - still got it but it's been off the road for about 12 years now, I never got round to restoring it.

Dream car is either a Jaguar XK120 or an Austin Healey 3000 - any old Ferrari would be ok as well.

My current car is an Alfa Spider - the roofless Brera style - which I love, but in truth it looks better than it goes (to be fair it looks absolutely gorgeous IMO). I always hand-wash it and I'm going to try to keep it until it achieves classic status.

Can't think of any really ugly modern cars (the 2CVs were hideous, but I can understand people loving them) but there's a lot of clumsy, slabby looking one around and the others tend to all look the same with different badges.

VickMackie
29-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Ford GT 40 or a Lamborghini merchilago or however you spell it.

An affordable dream car, Toyota mr2, rev 3 in mint condition would do me fine. 2 seats just isn't practice for me anymore.

hibsbollah
29-03-2013, 09:37 AM

I had a mark 1 capri when i was a daft laddie. It was great fun to drive, especially with a nice Spax lowered suspension :cool the owners club is/was called Capri Ecosse.

The prettiest car i know is the VW Karmann Ghia.

StevesFamau5
29-03-2013, 10:44 AM

Whats your dream car?

Hmmm. Dream car has to be a toss up between Shelby Mustang gt500 (elanor) or the Holden Monaro VXR.
I own a..... wait for it... Suzuki Liana GLX. Which is dieing slowly. Looking at a Ford Mondeo Titanium x next.
Currently the best looking production car IMO volkswagon sirocco or the kia sportage. The new vauxhall adam is honking.
And I wash my cars myself unless its a hire car. [/SIZE]

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Godsahibby
29-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I do enjoy driving and a love great looking cars, i'm the first to admit I have got no idea about what goes on under the bonnet for me its all about the looks.

I drive a Mercedes CLC which I love, always been a fan of Mercedes so was nice to be able to get one last year. First time I've also ever had an automatic and I can't believe it's taken me so long, I can't see myself ever going back to a manual gearbox!

As for my ream car it changes a lot, I'm a big fan of the Mclaren SLR and now the SLS but also love the old classic styling of the Jag E Type. I think my dream car would have to be something that was a bit of both. Something like he Eagle Speedster that was featured on Top Gear a couple of seasons ago!

sleeping giant
29-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Dream Car has to be the Bugatti Veyron :not worth
Current Car is a Hyundai I40 :greengrin Its actually quite good and saves me a fortune on BIK tax.
I find the New Mazda 6 or Mazda 3 very nice looking.
I feel the hyundi i30 is fugly but the estate verison is passable but i wouldn't buy either.
I never wash it myself :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
30-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Dream car, Maserati Quatroporte, nearly had one last year until the missus saw the MPG. Scuppered.
Current car, Audi Q5
Hate the look of these big Chryslers.
Me, wash a car? :faf: :greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
30-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Audi R8

Judas Iscariot
30-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Dream car - Lotus carlton
Current car - New Vauxhall Corsa Vxr & 1.2 Corsa Sxi
Fugly - New Fiesta
Beautiful - Mokka in boracay blue
Hand wash the Vxr, would never ever take a new car to a jet/car/brush wash and will never use a sponge on one either....

KB1
31-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Dream car, Maserati Quatroporte

Am the same as you, would love one, bug my old boss had one and he said he spent over £3k per year on servicing and repairs so wife said no

Currently drive a Porsche cayenne which I like, never clean it though

degenerated
31-03-2013, 09:44 PM
My dream car is more of a scooter - lambretta sx 200
Currently have BMW 320 ED
only wash it myself when I can be bothered, more often car wash
Fugly - Nissan qashqai

Barney McGrew
01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Had a blast in one of these things a few weeks back. Awesome.

Hibbyradge
01-04-2013, 11:38 PM
What's your dream car?

Ferarri Dino

http://www.skyoftech.com/demo/joomla1.7/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ferrari_dino_concept_2007_01_1024x768.jpg

BMW 320D M Sport Coupe

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=128995949

Both. Tesco Corstorphine's wash is safe.

Judas Iscariot
03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
What's your dream car?

Ferarri Dino

http://www.skyoftech.com/demo/joomla1.7/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ferrari_dino_concept_2007_01_1024x768.jpg

BMW 320D M Sport Coupe

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=128995949

Both. Tesco Corstorphine's wash is safe.

If you use the brush your car will be swirled something rotten

yeezus.
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I have no interest in cars and I don't drive. I do however like the Fiat Multipla :agree:

Just Alf
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I have no interest in cars and I don't drive. I do however like the Fiat Multipla :agree:

Oh hell... Nooooo!

Wife and brat both like it as well, 3 seats across the front ..... I think it's one of the ugliest things driving around!

About to get a new car and I think I'm out numbered tho :-(

hibsbollah
04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh hell... Nooooo!

Wife and brat both like it as well, 3 seats across the front ..... I think it's one of the ugliest things driving around!

The Multipla is ugly as sin. If youre after the 3 seats across the front thing, id recommend my car, the Honda FRV. They stopped making them in 2010 but ive been very happy with it.

Gatecrasher
05-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Oh hell... Nooooo!

:agree:
Fugly

Jones28
24-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Hyundai Getz is my current car, outstanding wee car! It's my first so cut me some slack ;) but fun to drive, cheap to insure, good for long journeys and room for friends and dogs!

Future car: some sort of vxr/hot hatch/my uncles golf when he sells it!

Dream car: Mercedes slr black. Love it. Raw power and growly as ****

I wash my own car!

sleeping giant
25-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Hyundai Getz is my current car, outstanding wee car! It's my first so cut me some slack ;) but fun to drive, cheap to insure, good for long journeys and room for friends and dogs!

Future car: some sort of vxr/hot hatch/my uncles golf when he sells it!

Dream car: Mercedes slr black. Love it. Raw power and growly as ****

I wash my own car!

I hired a Getz a year or so ago and was surprised how roomy it was. It's like a bloody tardis:-)

Hibrandenburg
25-04-2013, 08:38 PM
New S-max coming in the morning. I'm obviously not a petrol head but I really did like the last one.

Jones28
25-04-2013, 11:56 PM
I hired a Getz a year or so ago and was surprised how roomy it was. It's like a bloody tardis:-)

It'll do! For another wee while at least

Jones28
25-04-2013, 11:57 PM
New S-max coming in the morning. I'm obviously not a petrol head but I really did like the last one.

Enjoy!

Hibrandenburg
26-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Enjoy!

:greengrin:

matty_f
26-04-2013, 10:40 AM

What's the S-Max like - has it got a back row of seats?

I got a new Nissan Qashqai+2 last Monday, I think it's a little bit bigger than the S-MAX, and it's great. It's only a 1.6 that I got though, so it's a little underpowered but I didn't really need the 2 litre version as I don't go that far or fast anyway. Great spec on it (I got the 360 model) and drives really well, with enough room for the family. The back 2 seats would be a tight squeeze for adults, unless the adult is Ronnie Corbett, and that Hearts b**^&rd wouldn't be allowed in my car anyway.:greengrin

Hibrandenburg
26-04-2013, 12:31 PM
What's the S-Max like - has it got a back row of seats?

I got a new Nissan Qashqai+2 last Monday, I think it's a little bit bigger than the S-MAX, and it's great. It's only a 1.6 that I got though, so it's a little underpowered but I didn't really need the 2 litre version as I don't go that far or fast anyway. Great spec on it (I got the 360 model) and drives really well, with enough room for the family. The back 2 seats would be a tight squeeze for adults, unless the adult is Ronnie Corbett, and that Hearts b**^&rd wouldn't be allowed in my car anyway.:greengrin

Just been delivered and I must say it looks ****ing sexy! :greengrin

Arctic white metallic with black rear windows and silver trimming. 2.2 TDCi engine so it's off like Schmidt's cat and the gadgetry is gonna confuse an old git like me for weeks.

I chose the slide out boot table instead of the back row of seats for storage space and it also has the advantage of then giving a 2m x 1.5m even surface when the rear seats are clapped forward, which is great for sleeping when on camping holidays or long journeys. Looking forward to giving it a wee run out on the Autobahn.

Just Alf
26-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Got my new Toyota Prius hybrid last night.... Dead weird .... Last time I had a car that the engine cut out when I stopped I normally needed some friendly passers by to give me a push start!

Hibrandenburg
26-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Got my new Toyota Prius hybrid last night.... Dead weird .... Last time I had a car that the engine cut out when I stopped I normally needed some friendly passers by to give me a push start!

Lol, had one of them as a hire car semi final weekend and nearly shat myself when it cut out the first time.