PDA

View Full Version : Peter Lorimer

CropleyWasGod
23-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Cracking interview with him by Aidan Smith.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/peter-lorimer-recalls-revie-s-leeds-and-world-cup-high-jinks-1-2853895

However, and this is where my memory might fail me, I disagree with his comments about the game against us in 73.

1. he says that Leeds sent up a team full of reserves. IIRC, they had some injuries, but it was still a great team. Bremner, Reaney, Lorimer, Cherry, Yorath all played.

2. he mentions a "young Scottish keeper". That's shecht. It was Glen Leatheren, who is the father of the guy at Killie.

Or has Alzheimers caught up with me? :confused:

PeeJay
23-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Shaw
Reaney Cherry
Bremner - Ellam - Yorath
Lorimer - Clark- Jordan - Bates, F. Gray

Full of reserves?

We really should have sent them home al la Naploli that night - five goal-line clearances, one shot hit the post, one goal disallowed (although the referee initially gave it...!, several fantastic saves by an excellent keeper on the evening - then we blew the penalty shoot-out...

...Lorimer should have told it like it was: the better team lost..

CropleyWasGod
23-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Shaw
Reaney Cherry
Bremner - Ellam - Yorath

Full of reserves?

We really should have sent them home al la Naploli that night - five goal-line clearances, one shot hit the post, one goal disallowed (although the referee initially gave it...!, several fantastic saves by an excellent keeper on the evening - then we blew the penalty shoot-out...

Still think it was Leatheren :greengrin

PeeJay
23-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Still think it was Leatheren :greengrin

You are indeed correct sir - had another check, seems the 17 year old Leatheren replaced the injured Shaw and had a "brilliant" game too....:greengrin

eastterrace
23-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Shaw
Reaney Cherry
Bremner - Ellam - Yorath

Full of reserves?

we should have beat them down there as well , big tony missed three good chances .:flag:

CropleyWasGod
23-03-2013, 02:01 PM
You are indeed correct sir - had another check, seems the 17 year old Leatheren replaced the injured Shaw and had a "brilliant" game too....:greengrin

As I remember, David Harvey was first choice. Dave Stewart (from Ayr) was second, and they were both injured. I thought Leatheren was 3rd choice, and I don't remember Shaw at all......it sounds like Leatheren was 4th choice.

johnrebus
23-03-2013, 03:35 PM
As I remember, David Harvey was first choice. Dave Stewart (from Ayr) was second, and they were both injured. I thought Leatheren was 3rd choice, and I don't remember Shaw at all......it sounds like Leatheren was 4th choice.

Seem to remember Letheren came on as a substitute for Shaw who was injured?

The rest of the side wasn't far off full strength, but I read in a book about Revie that they were not bothered about going out anyway and wanted to concentrate on the league...

Mind you, at the end of the game I seem to remember Revie dancing about as if they just won the European Cup.

:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
23-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Seem to remember Letheren came on as a substitute for Shaw who was injured?

The rest of the side wasn't far off full strength, but I read in a book about Revie that they were not bothered about going out anyway and wanted to concentrate on the league...

Mind you, at the end of the game I seem to remember Revie dancing about as if they just won the European Cup.

:rolleyes:

Got to be said that second leg for me was the best individual performance I have ever seen by Billy Bremner who absolutely held them together under the constant Hibs onslaught. He was simply amazing and then scored the winning penalty.

brog
23-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Got to be said that second leg for me was the best individual performance I have ever seen by Billy Bremner who absolutely held them together under the constant Hibs onslaught. He was simply amazing and then scored the winning penalty.

Bremner said same thing to me as Lorimer after Gordon Hunter testimonial dinner. To be fair to him he said it was maybe why he played so well, took loads of chances but they all came off. As he played without pressure.

greenginger
23-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Scored the winning penalty with Don Revie on the pitch coaching the penalty takers !

ancient hibee
23-03-2013, 05:34 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/peter-lorimer-recalls-revie-s-leeds-and-world-cup-high-jinks-1-2853895

However, and this is where my memory might fail me, I disagree with his comments about the game against us in 73.

1. he says that Leeds sent up a team full of reserves. IIRC, they had some injuries, but it was still a great team. Bremner, Reaney, Lorimer, Cherry, Yorath all played.

2. he mentions a "young Scottish keeper". That's shecht. It was Glen Leatheren, who is the father of the guy at Killie.

They changed the goalie at half time.

JimBHibees
23-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Scored the winning penalty with Don Revie on the pitch coaching the penalty takers !

Always thought Hibs were a bit petty complaining about that to be honest.

Feed McGraw
23-03-2013, 07:07 PM

I suppose it was a bit petty, I think Hibs felt aggrieved after playing them off the park not only at ER but down there too. What a night that was down there ! A bit of the usual 70`s " Bovver " at times on the street, but a great trip on the old " Football special ".

BTW, a couple of names missing, but that was no reserve team.

greenginger
23-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Don't agree, the game was decided on a fraction of an inch with Stanton's penalty. Revie had no business being on the pitch influencing the shoot-out.

Replays have been ordered for a lot less ( Celtic Vs Vienna ). All Leeds got was a crappy fine.

JimBHibees
23-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Don't agree, the game was decided on a fraction of an inch with Stanton's penalty. Revie had no business being on the pitch influencing the shoot-out.

Replays have been ordered for a lot less ( Celtic Vs Vienna ). All Leeds got was a crappy fine.

Really it is players that take the pens cant imagine a coach being on the pitch would have had any influence on it to be honest.

Jonnyboy
23-03-2013, 07:49 PM

No

Lorimer was a quality player but his memory is playing tricks on him. Maybe he headed the ball too often :greengrin

Jonnyboy
23-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Shaw
Reaney Cherry
Bremner - Ellam - Yorath

Full of reserves?

Mick Bates and Frank Gray were regulars too.

greenginger
23-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Really it is players that take the pens cant imagine a coach being on the pitch would have had any influence on it to be honest.

Then why was Revie on the pitch? With all his experience in management and coaching I'm sure he would know if he could assist his team, especially the young goalkeeper.

Revie obviously thought he could influence the result with his presence.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Then why was Revie on the pitch? With all his experience in management and coaching I'm sure he would know if he could assist his team, especially the young goalkeeper.

IIRC Revie was notorious for "coaching from the touchline", which was an offence in those days. The FA had dealt with him on at least one occasion. There was no technical area then, and Revie was level with the penalty spot.

That said, I'd have thought a manager's presence would hinder rather than help players.

Anyway - what about Tony Higgins' miss at Elland Road? It might never have gone to penalties if he'd scored that.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-03-2013, 12:31 PM
IIRC Revie was notorious for "coaching from the touchline", which was an offence in those days. The FA had dealt with him on at least one occasion. There was no technical area then, and Revie was level with the penalty spot.

That said, I'd have thought a manager's presence would hinder rather than help players.

Anyway - what about Tony Higgins' miss at Elland Road? It might never have gone to penalties if he'd scored that.

Revie was with his players in the center circle IIRC

JimBHibees
24-03-2013, 12:34 PM

I have no doubt that is what he thought was the case however really are we talking about a replay for the coach being on the pitch in a penalty shoot out. Not for me, we lost fair and square on penalties after not being able to score in two games we pretty much dominated.

Hibs07p
24-03-2013, 12:54 PM

The galling thing about it was he got in front of Alan Gordon at the back post and headed it over. Was there any TV coverage of the game?

brog
24-03-2013, 03:29 PM
The galling thing about it was he got in front of Alan Gordon at the back post and headed it over. Was there any TV coverage of the game?

There was definitely TV coverage & fairly lengthy as well I believe. From memory big Tony headed ball right into keeper's hands rather than over bar. Still, was a great performance from Hibs in Leeds.

Lucius Apuleius
24-03-2013, 03:47 PM
I defo remember Jock Shaw playing in goals. A Stirling man, more in particular, a Causewayhead man.

Iggy Pope
24-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I defo remember Jock Shaw playing in goals. A Stirling man, more in particular, a Causewayhead man.

Eh? Was that a 10 halftime 21 the winner?????

eastterrace
24-03-2013, 06:30 PM
There was definitely TV coverage & fairly lengthy as well I believe. From memory big Tony headed ball right into keeper's hands rather than over bar. Still, was a great performance from Hibs in Leeds.

no he definetly headed over the bar at the flea pit end were we all were , mind being in a pub across from the ground full of hibbies standing on the tables singing, it was a great night, but not for one fan im sure he got killed , knocked over i think.

Lucius Apuleius
24-03-2013, 09:19 PM

Lost me with that mate.

Hibs07p
25-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Mick Bates and Frank Gray were regulars too.

I can't remember Mick Bates, was it not Mick Jones that was a regular?

I would like to see the highlights of that again.

Ah back in the day, when a kick about and take ons were what school holidays were all about. Football up the park all day every day, playing with your mates, or arranging games with other "streets". Plenty 5/11s, 7/15s or the big one 10/21s, depending on how much time was available.

I'm going to a Sportsmans Dinner on 6th April, Peter lorimer is supposed to be attending. I say supposed to be, PL seems a bit high profile for Bilston Miners club. John O'Neil is also speaking, anyone know how good JO is?

lapsedhibee
25-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Ah back in the day, when a kick about and take ons were what school holidays were all about. Football up the park all day every day, playing with your mates, or arranging games with other "streets". Plenty 5/11s, 7/15s or the big one 10/21s, depending on how much time was available.

I never got the logic of adding an extra goal on to the second half. Why not 10/20? :doh:

Like a child's non-corrupt, pointless version of Fergie time.

Hibs07p
25-03-2013, 03:47 PM
I never got the logic of adding an extra goal on to the second half. Why not 10/20? :doh:

Like a child's non-corrupt, pointless version of Fergie time.

Never ever thought about it myself, just the way it always was I suppose. Is it any different now or do kids only play organised football or FIFA on their consoles?

Iggy Pope
25-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Never ever thought about it myself, just the way it always was I suppose. Is it any different now or do kids only play organised football or FIFA on their consoles?

5 - 11 if it looked like getting dark!

Hibs07p
25-03-2013, 05:43 PM
5 - 11 if it looked like getting dark!

Next goal the winner. :flag::flag::flag:

Feed McGraw
25-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Made me smile and gives me a warm nostalgic glow on these freezing nights. Thanks HH. :thumbsup:

snooky
25-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Also, for picking two late comers ......
Cock or Hen - alternatively, Pug or Engine.

Hibs07p
25-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Also, for picking two late comers ......
Cock or Hen - alternatively, Pug or Engine.

If only one late comer, they would join the losing team to even things up a bit.

Jonnyboy
25-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I can't remember Mick Bates, was it not Mick Jones that was a regular?

I would like to see the highlights of that again.

I'm going to a Sportsmans Dinner on 6th April, Peter lorimer is supposed to be attending. I say supposed to be, PL seems a bit high profile for Bilston Miners club. John O'Neil is also speaking, anyone know how good JO is?

Master Bates (:greengrin) played close to 200 times for Leeds under Don Revie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Bates_%28footballer%29

--------
25-03-2013, 10:02 PM

Totally disagree, Jim - that was the second time that pond-life cheated us out of a place in the next round of that competition. Revie was one of the biggest crooks in English football.

Kato
25-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Totally disagree, Jim - that was the second time that pond-life cheated us out of a place in the next round of that competition. Revie was one of the biggest crooks in English football.

If Gary Sprake is to be believed most of them were crooked. Clough sussed them out imho.

snooky
25-03-2013, 10:54 PM

Like moving the halfway line 1 or 2 yards off centre (longitudinally).
The tried every trick in the book apparently.

stu in nottingham
25-03-2013, 11:20 PM
If Gary Sprake is to be believed most of them were crooked. Clough sussed them out imho.

Clough to the assembled Leeds players he had just taken over at Elland Road:

'Well, I might as well tell you now. You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Don Revie. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest ****ing dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.'

He was right as well.

Hibs07p
26-03-2013, 04:01 AM
Master Bates (:greengrin) played close to 200 times for Leeds under Don Revie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Bates_%28footballer%29

Must have been before my time then! :tin hat:
I really can't remember him, but I remember this player a lot better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jones_(Leeds_United_footballer)