PDA

View Full Version : If you could turn back time

Scouse Hibee
21-03-2013, 07:01 PM
If you could go back and change/reinstate 3 rule/law or other changes that have occurred in football during the last 30 years what would they be?

I would like to see fouls interpreted consistently regardless of where they occur on the pitch.
Such as:
Defenders not being allowed to bear hug attackers when defending set pieces.
Shielding (obstruction) the ball out of play 15 yards from the byeline.
Goalkeepers not getting every decision when they are challenged.

Bristolhibby
21-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Hearts to be held to task ages ago for financial doping.

J

ronaldo7
21-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Only 1.

The Drybrough cup used to be played with the 18 yard box extended to the touchline and you couldn't be offside up to the line. A licence for the Tornadoes to run riot.

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.com/drybroughcup.htm

Feed McGraw
21-03-2013, 07:21 PM
I`d get the Dryburgh cup rules back, we were good at that ! :greengrin

Keith_M
21-03-2013, 07:24 PM
The offisde rule, I think it's now far too complicated. If a player is in an offside position, a free kick should be given. Never mind this 'not interfering with play' or whatever technical term they come up with (inactive?). In the words of the late, great Bill Nicholson, ‘If he’s not interfering with play, what’s he doing on the pitch?’

Referees being allowed to wear a colour other than black. It's just so wrong.

All seated stadia (well, you did ask :wink:)

Peevemor
21-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Bosman. Among other things, the turnover of players at most clubs makes it difficult for supporters to identify with their teams as much as they did in the past.

ronaldo7
21-03-2013, 07:25 PM
I`d get the Dryburgh cup rules back, we were good at that ! :greengrin

:aok:

The beer was pish though.

Keith_M
21-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Only 1.

The Drybrough cup used to be played with the 18 yard box extended to the touchline and you couldn't be offside up to the line. A licence for the Tornadoes to run riot.

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.com/drybroughcup.htm

I think that might have been more than 30 years ago :dunno:

ronaldo7
21-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Aye....Time flys.:greengrin

Last Final took place in 80-81

Billy Whizz
21-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Early 70's if I can remember. Did it not used to be a group format to lick the season off with?

Billy Whizz
21-03-2013, 07:35 PM
If you could go back and change/reinstate 3 rule/law or other changes that have occurred in football during the last 30 years what would they be?

I think there's been a number of positive changes including back pass to the goalie etc. The one in Scotland that gets me is a players getting booked, for running into the crowd after scoring!
Stupid stupid mandatory booking in my opinion!

frazeHFC
21-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I never even experienced them but terracing, beer in the stadium and......well that'll do. :greengrin

SteveHFC
21-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Bring Back the old Uefa Cup System

Bring Back the old European Cup System.

YehButNoBut
21-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Sending a player/goalie off when awarding a penalty as well, seems like a double bonus for the other side, should just be a pen.

eastterrace
21-03-2013, 08:08 PM
the pass back rule been the best thing, wonder how sandy jardine and henry smith would have got on without it back then, boring bunch they were back then as well.:flag:

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-03-2013, 08:17 PM
I would bring back tackling, bring back shirt numbers of one through eleven and the subbies twelve to fifteen and I would bring back standing at games especially in the winter.

Treadstone
21-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Sending a player/goalie off when awarding a penalty as well, seems like a double bonus for the other side, should just be a pen.

Imagine a rule going that wee bit further and asking sinned against team for their choice: player sent off or the penalty. Very interesting.

kentao
21-03-2013, 08:28 PM
1) An equal share of all the revenue incoming into the Scottish leagues and split evenly between each team in each division to provide a more interesting league with competition.
2) Financial fair play rules
3) Goal line Technology

Scouse Hibee
21-03-2013, 08:35 PM
1) An equal share of all the revenue incoming into the Scottish leagues and split evenly between each team in each division to provide a more interesting league with competition.
2) Financial fair play rules
3) Goal line Technology

Were these all in place in the last 30 years? :greengrin

macca70
21-03-2013, 08:46 PM
The Ref awarding a Goal when the ball crosses the Goalline :)

6 second rule for keepers holding onto the ball was introduced a few years ago, when it was 1st introduces I remember a few keepers being pulled up. Now, I'm not even sure if the refs realise it is still a rule as not seen a keeper pulled up for it for years or maybe I'm just not aware that the rule was scrapped.

kentao
21-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Were these all in place in the last 30 years? :greengrin
Lol what a tube, Shoulda read the question properly :D.

But if they were instated 30 years ago we would have had some exciting seasons to look back on instead of the Rangers and Celtic Eras :D

Pretty Boy
21-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Bring back the Cup Winners Cup.

Was always a really enjoyable tournaments when I was younger. Especially watching Seaman sat on his erse gutted after ****ing up a shot from about 60 yards.

eastterrace
21-03-2013, 08:53 PM
penalty kicks after drawn game in the final, so we might have won the cup back in 1979

allezsauzee
21-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd bring in a law disallowing anyone called Craig Thomson from refereeing

snooky
21-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Easy call ...
1) Rebuild the old west stand (esp. the north end of it)
2) Re-install the slope
3) Knock down the flats and rebuild the mound (with the big step)
4) Stop playing in strips that look like an advertisement flyer
5) Play the WM formation.
6) Get referees who are not showmen/pseudo headmasters
7) Make a pie and bovril affordable
8) Sell cheap decent programmes
9) Re-print the Pink and Green
10) Home and away alt Saturdays with 3pm KO
11) Bring back Arthur Montford

Better still buy me a retro time machine :flying:

Dan Sarf
21-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Easy call ...
1) Rebuild the old west stand (esp. the north end of it)
2) Re-install the slope
3) Knock down the flats and rebuild the mound
4) Stop playing in strips that look like an advertisement flyer
5) Play the WM formation.
6) Get referees who are not showmen/pseudo headmasters
7) Make a pie and bovril affordable
8) Sell cheap decent programmes
9) Re-print the Pink and Green
10) Home and away alt Saturdays with 3pm KO
11) Bring back Arthur Montford

Better still buy me a retro time machine :flying:

Oh yes please! What a wonderful list :flag:

PeeJay
22-03-2013, 06:20 AM

I would like to see fouls interpreted consistently regardless of where they occur on the pitch.
Such as:
Defenders not being allowed to bear hug attackers when defending set pieces.
Shielding (obstruction) the ball out of play 15 yards from the byeline.
Goalkeepers not getting every decision when they are challenged.

1 - I'd reintroduce standing terraces at football grounds in Scotland...
2 - I'd have all games played on Saturdays at 3:00 and Wednesdays at 7:30
3 - I'd like more than 30 years please - January 1968 - I want to ban the 4-step rule so that we beat Leeds United and Charlton doesn't score ...

Just_Jimmy
22-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Elbowing a player in the face in the first 5 mins of a game is still a red card.

A foul outside the box is not a penalty.

When the ball crosses the line, it's a goal.

These are all rules that must have been done away with in recent season?

southsider
22-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Top league of 16 play home and away. New cup with "Dryburgh Cup" rules. Revamped league cup with sections then winners and runners up go into home and away draw. one-off semis. Final, played to a finish. Scottish cup as it. Plenty of games and chance of upsets in cups. Thoughts ?

Bad Martini
22-03-2013, 12:00 PM
1) Get rid of offside? Cause it clearly helps the game, stopping play every few nanoseconds for a forward daring to be a baw hair past the last defender? Whats the ****ing point anyway....we want to SEE goals!!! Both teams can "poach" so where is the ****ing issue?? It doesnt spoil the game seeing lots of goals and if we resorted to hoofball, nobody would go...so, ditch offside, completely please and ****ing thank you. Less stops in the play, more goals and more joy.

2) Get a linesman to stand in line with the goals at ALL ****ing times. Then we'll know if it's over the line. Sorted.

3) I'll have another 2 wishes please :greengrin
Extra Wish 1) the huns to implode beyond division 3 (churches league, nae nets, its a ****ing kickaboot)
Extra Wish 2) the yams to take rangers place, then implode into nothingness after a season of being humped by Elgin, Clyde and Peterheid :fenlon

BOYACKASHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :jmcp:

AYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :fenlon

ENDOF :na na:

Andy74
22-03-2013, 12:27 PM
The old system of European competitions when it was all about the competition and not just keeping the same clubs in the money.

That and whatever happened to finances that allowed the Old Firm to be even more dominant than they used to be.

Surely there were still glory hunters and bigots back in the days where the other teams used to win things regularly?

Jones28
22-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I would like to see the old League Cup system back :agree:

marinello59
22-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I would like to see the old League Cup system back :agree:

Just stick a coat of emulsion on your living room wall and watch it dry. That should fully recreate the excitement that the old group system generated. :greengrin

jacomo
22-03-2013, 03:10 PM

I really do not understand the time-travelling aspect to this thread. :confused:

Why not simply ask, 'What rules would you like to change or go back to?'

grunt
22-03-2013, 03:52 PM
I really do not understand the time-travelling aspect to this thread. :confused:

Someone's been listening to too much Cher.

Scouse Hibee
22-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Because I wanted to limit it to thirty years :na na:

Newry Hibs
23-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Make goalkeepers wear the same socks and shorts as the rest of the team. Prevents goalies looking like bicycle messengers / clowns.

snooky
23-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Like when we had managers of the calibre of Dalek McLeish and Dalek Miller? :wink:

"Who?" I hear you say

Correctamundo :aok:

heretoday
23-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Make it that we lost to Aberdeen in the Cup semi last season.