PDA

View Full Version : Tennents Sixes (merged)

Sylar
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/292461-tennents-sixes-1993-video-highlights-part-one/

Anyone remember this?

The Sea-gull
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/292461-tennents-sixes-1993-video-highlights-part-one/

Anyone remember this?

I remember it. It was superb. Did not realise it ran annually from 1984 and that there were 10 tournaments. Would have guessed that there had been about four or five tournanments max maybe from 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993. Unless only the later ones were televised/publicised.

Hibs won it in 89 or 90ish? Goram playing in it? Think Hearts won it at some point too around then.

I can't remember the exact format but was it played on a Saturday and Sunday in November/December/January/February time? I'm assuming they suspended SPL fixtures for a weekend?

Seem to remember they stopped it because insuring the players was too costly and clubs did not want to risk injury.

I know the game has changed but I think something like this would be a good thing to reintroduce to get a bit of money and interest back into the game.

I know they have the masters tournanments with the old boys but that is not the same as using current players.

Sherlock Jones
05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Some info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennents%27_Sixes

Mister P
05-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Bill Crombie referee the Jambo tw@t, penalising Hibs for retaining too much possession and awarding Celtic a free kick which ultimately led to a goal
Celtic go through by a GD of 1 goal..the goal that came from that free kick:faf:

JPrinty
05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Bill Crombie referee the Jambo tw@t, penalising Hibs for retaining too much possession and awarding Celtic a free kick which ultimately led to a goal
Celtic go through by a GD of 1 goal..the goal that came from that free kick:faf:

Remember that well! Penalised for unsporting behaviour because we wouldn't let Celtic have the ball!

Mister P
05-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Remember that well! Penalised for unsporting behaviour because we wouldn't let Celtic have the ball!

he was always a Jambo twat IIRC. I went to school wi his laddie Greg (RIP)

Stantons Angel
05-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I remember taking my son to Falkirk in 1984 to watch the first tournament which he really enjoyed along with a great number of Hibs supporters.

We took him to the other tournaments when they came along as the atmosphere was electric and the wee squeeky voices of the young children were heard all day. This was a great day out for families and often involved taking picnic lunches and my son's friends too. Great memories.

The 1990 tourney at the SSEC when Hibs went on to win the tournament was a great day for all the Hibbies there to support the team. My friend and I took a group of our sons' friends through for the day. We were all on a high after watching the Hibs lift the trophy, so much so that when we went to collect the car in that huge carpark we couldnt find it!! How we laugh about this now but at the time it managed to bring us all down to earth.

On TV that night the highlights were shown along with glimpses of the crowd which panned on our group showing us eating our sandwiches and looking like the family Grimm on a day out. The final credits showed my son sitting with his Hibs scarf on watching the games intently.

The masters tournament was also a crowd puller which we also attended giving the younger members of the family a look at players they only know by name.

It would be a good thing to bring back pushing the "family" theme Hibs' are always promoting and giving other families these memories too.

GreenCastle
05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Anyone remember this?

Awesome! Thanks for that!

Great memories and would love to have some of those type of players at the club now :agree:

Can't see them ever bringing it back but a great idea at the time :thumbsup:

Captain Trips
05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
In Germany they are playing indoor football now you can watch on Bet365, looks good.

PhoenixHibee
05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
What was wrong with Celtic trying to get the ball with more than 1 player? They were clearly happy to sit back and make sure Hibs didn't score and they would be out on goal difference.

Hibernia Na Eir
05-01-2012, 07:57 PM
anyone remember the Skol 5 a side tournament from Meadowbank late 70s/early 80s? enjoyed it, fast moving tourney, Hibs always involved. seem to remember Celtic and the likes of Dundee utd, dunfermline, hearts etc....

Mister P
05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
anyone want to start a "bring it back" campaign on Facebook?

:greengrin

weedgiehibbie
05-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Ah yeah i went to it in 93 so its great to see the highlights from it :greengrin

was great fun, all the fans mixed in with each other with no problems, was just good fun watching other teams play each other as well as cheering on Hibs even though i was disapointed when we were playing St Johnstone and the tannoy guy said during the game everyone in the crowd towards Andy rhodes' (i tihnk) goal was to get behind St Johnstone which i was - boooo haha

PaulSmith
05-01-2012, 10:13 PM
What was wrong with Celtic trying to get the ball with more than 1 player? They were clearly happy to sit back and make sure Hibs didn't score and they would be out on goal difference.

There was a rule which prevented so many players at one time in an area of the park.
Hibs 'exploited' the rules when they went 2 up, ref didn't like it although there wasn't actually a rule against it.

Jonnyboy
05-01-2012, 10:35 PM

Crombie worked in Chesser House when I worked there and the day after that 'decision' I gave him pelters in front of about twenty folk as they arrived in the building. One guy called him a few names and then whispered to me that he had no idea why I was having a go but that he couldnae stand Crombie and just joined in the abuse for the fun of it :greengrin

fat freddy
05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
i was still getting angry about the injustice of it all several years after the event...hibs were playing within the rules yet were penalised for having the ability to keep the ball...it could only happen against one of the old firm.

better days were to be had in the late seventies at meadowbank when the edinburgh evening news ran a tourney every season which featured many of turnbulls tornadoes...hibs seemed to win it every year and we always seemed to beat hearts...well, thats how my faded memory recalls it.

iwasthere1972
06-01-2012, 01:11 AM
I only watched the first four minutes. No surprise that they only showed two of our goals from the first two games from the nine we scored yet they appeared to be showing all the Celtic goals.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

stevenhibs
06-01-2012, 05:26 AM
anyone want to start a "bring it back" campaign on Facebook?

:greengrin

"Anyone want to start"........ Or join? ;-)

Winston Ingram
13-01-2012, 11:07 PM
If ever the credibility of Scottish Football could be summed up in one incident it's this one. Hibs leading 2-0 going through and keeping possession. Celtic couldn't get it back so referee Bill Crombie invents a rule saying this wasn't in the spirit of the game, give Celtic a free-kick, they score and Hibs go out watch from 9mins 55

...the SFA backed Crombie afterwards:cb

Pedantic_Hibee
13-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Hahaha, I remember this. It was possibly the first time in my life I've actually lost the plot and wanted to kill the nearest person next to me. Even at the young age of 11, I knew it was a horrible decision.

stanton_4
13-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I remember the same thing happening at Darkheid once too.
Must have been round about the same time.
Certainly during Millar and Murdo's time.

oldbutdim
13-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I'd forgotten about that.

Quite incredible decision by Crombie.

He should have sent Jackson and Miller off for scoring against the Mhanks. Clearly not in the spirit of the game.

Pedantic_Hibee
13-01-2012, 11:18 PM
For the first time in 18 years, I've now watched the sorry episode again.

The mother-in-law's funeral will be held on Thursday.

HNA4
13-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Funnily enough, it was being discussed here last week too :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?224704-(SHC)-Tennents-Sixes-SECC

greenginger
13-01-2012, 11:26 PM
I remember the same thing happening at Darkheid once too.
Must have been round about the same time.
Certainly during Millar and Murdo's time.

Also 1973 at Parkhead, Hibs beating Celtic 2 - 0 with 3 mins to go and the ref abandons the game cos of mist. We would have gone top of the league with that win. :grr::grr:

frazeHFC
13-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Funnily enough, it was being discussed here last week too :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?224704-(SHC)-Tennents-Sixes-SECC

And also in chatbox last week too which may have led to TSSF starting the thread. :greengrin

fat freddy
13-01-2012, 11:34 PM
i recall that there was 10 minutes to go when it was abandoned...still no excuse.

we drew the replay 1-1 with erich schaedler scoring a 45 yard rocket / looping miskicked cross.

NYHibby
14-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I loved indoor soccer growing up. Check out this video I found:

http://youtu.be/aH_GHr8cVEU

HibsNZ
14-01-2012, 04:00 AM
If ever the credibility of Scottish Football could be summed up in one incident it's this one. Hibs leading 2-0 going through and keeping possession. Celtic couldn't get it back so referee Bill Crombie invents a rule saying this wasn't in the spirit of the game, give Celtic a free-kick, they score and Hibs go out watch from 9mins 55

...the SFA backed Crombie afterwards:cb

I imagine that if the roles had been reversed and Hibs got the free kick and scored to knock Celtic out, the final sentence would read,

...the SFA sacked Crombie afterwards!

Hibs07p
14-01-2012, 06:04 AM
Bill Crombie the Jambo ref. Still, he wasn't all bad, I remember he had a cracking game at Dens park at the end of '85 / '86 season. :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Ridiculous that Crombie was allowed to ref Hibs games at all, from memory he was a member of Centurion Yams club in Corstorphine and was well known for it at the SFA, he reffed the game at crumblingcastle when Archibald scored in the 2-1 win, still going on to this day of course.

allezsauzee
14-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Bill Crombie the Jambo ref. Still, he wasn't all bad, I remember he had a cracking game at Dens park at the end of '85 / '86 season. :greengrin

I was prepared to forgive him for just about anything after he turned down a pretty decent penalty shout for the yams prior to Sir Albert's intervention :greengrin

RoxburghHibs
19-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Was chatting with a couple guys in the office about how good the Tennents Sixes tournament was.

We managed to find some video's on Youtube but nothing from 1990 when we won it.

Does anyone know where there is any footage of this tournament online?

Thanks

Barman Stanton
19-02-2013, 04:11 PM
I remember when we were robbed against Celtic. Ref gave a free kick against us for passing too much. Yes really! They scored and we went out if I remember rightly.

RoxburghHibs
19-02-2013, 04:19 PM
I remember when we were robbed against Celtic. Ref gave a free kick against us for passing too much. Yes really! They scored and we went out if I remember rightly.

There is highlights of this from the STV page (google 1993 tennents sixes). Hibs were 2-0 up against Celtic and that "free kick" resulted in a goal to Celtic and Celtic won the group knocking us out! And the highlights also mention the SFA backed the decision!!! LOL

micka_weer
19-02-2013, 04:31 PM
It was the sixes that brought on my love for Hibs.

Since90+2
19-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Am I right in thinking there wasnt segregation for fans? If so im surprised there wasnt more bother especially considering it was played on a Friday night if I remember right?

Part/Time Supporter
19-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Am I right in thinking there wasnt segregation for fans? If so im surprised there wasnt more bother especially considering it was played on a Friday night if I remember right?

IIRC the matches were pretty short so they were sold as sessions of 3 or 4 matches at a time. Therefore you would have several teams playing in the same session. The majority of fans at any one game wouldn't be supporters of one of the teams that were playing at any given time. Plus I guess it attracted more kids and women than would normally be the case.

micka_weer
19-02-2013, 05:57 PM
It was very much a family atmosphere, teams split into two leagues of 4 teams being played over two nights with the final being held on a third night IIRC? Man city plated one year in the absence of oldco

RoxburghHibs
02-03-2013, 11:57 PM
I was chatting in the office with a few guys about the Tennents sixes recently and it got me thinking is there any video footage of the tournament we won?

So I emailed STV and they have footage off the semi-final and final.

However they want £75 for a copy!

this is a bit steep for me to shell out but if we all chucked in a few quid then we (hibs.net) could maybe purchase this video!?

unless someone already has a copy of this tournament :)

007 Mickey Weir
03-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Or u could buy. Make copies and sell at £5 a go? I would buy one.

Last Minute
03-03-2013, 09:05 AM
I'll take one for a fiver

G-Reg
03-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I think my uncle has all the footage converted onto dvd as well as what he refers to as "Rangers" dvd's, always wondered why all the Hibs fans in the family would borrow these? But I have recently found out that they where not much to do with football and was just guy code for the "blue" content...and no not the band

anyway I will see him tomorrow and ask if he can get the footage online as a download or the the discs to someone who can

RoxburghHibs
03-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I think my uncle has all the footage converted onto dvd as well as what he refers to as "Rangers" dvd's, always wondered why all the Hibs fans in the family would borrow these? But I have recently found out that they where not much to do with football and was just guy code for the "blue" content...and no not the band

anyway I will see him tomorrow and ask if he can get the footage online as a download or the the discs to someone who can

That would be fantastic. Let me know if I can help?

G-Reg
04-03-2013, 07:11 PM
He has made a disc with it on and I will pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday, does anyone have the relevant skills to pop it online

Deeklipse
04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Would love to see this too!

Andy74
04-03-2013, 07:34 PM
He has made a disc with it on and I will pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday, does anyone have the relevant skills to pop it online

We are talking about the 'Blue' stuff, yeah?

G-Reg
04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
We are talking about the 'Blue' stuff, yeah?

Yeah he said its called 9 in a row....that sounds messy

RoxburghHibs
04-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Fantastic stuff!

Would you be able to make a copy and mail it to me? I will work out how to get it online or at least make a few more copies for you?

G-Reg
04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Fantastic stuff!

Would you be able to make a copy and mail it to me? I will work out how to get it online or at least make a few more copies for you?

As soon as I get it I shall PM you

RoxburghHibs
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
As soon as I get it I shall PM you

Nice one.

I should be able to upload to Youtube once I receive it.

HibeeSince82
05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Really hope you guys are able to get this onto youtube.My Dad took my and my cousin to see Hibs a couple of times at the tennents sixes. Wish we could do something like that again.What ever happened to the one that was on Sky sports?

G-Reg
08-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I am picking up the DVD tomorrow I will give it the once over to make sure it's of a decent standard. If it is okay I could give it to someone on Sunday pre/post match and they could do the internet upload magic??

G-Reg
09-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Nice one.

I should be able to upload to Youtube once I receive it.

That's me got the disc I've sent you a pm. Paul Kane loved a goal to himself in the tournament eh?

sleeping giant
09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
That's me got the disc I've sent you a pm. Paul Kane loved a goal to himself in the tournament eh?

Still remember Crombie giving Celtic a fee kick against us for keeping the ball when we were winning. Celtic scored.:blah:

NOLA
10-03-2013, 02:00 AM
why did the sixes ever stop? i loved watching it :agree: i heard it was down to insurance purposes but im probably wrong on that, anyone know different?

neilmartinrocks
10-03-2013, 02:12 AM
why did the sixes ever stop? i loved watching it :agree: i heard it was down to insurance purposes but im probably wrong on that, anyone know different?

recall it had something to do with that.

G-Reg
10-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Probably something to do with the old firm not winning it every year

CRAZYHIBBY
10-03-2013, 11:07 AM
I remember us getting disqualified after beating celtic....was it not something to do with us keeping the ball in our own half and not letting celtic play?

EuanH78
10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
I remember us getting disqualified after beating celtic....was it not something to do with us keeping the ball in our own half and not letting celtic play?

We were playing keep ball when the scoreline was certain we would go through. Referee gave Celtc a free kick because 'we werent playing in the spirit of the game' or some made up bollocks. Celtc scored and we went out.

just_joe
10-03-2013, 06:49 PM
We were playing keep ball when the scoreline was certain we would go through. Referee gave Celtc a free kick because 'we werent playing in the spirit of the game' or some made up bollocks. Celtc scored and we went out.

Any update on this being online mate? Would love this. would even be willing to pay for a copy on DVD.

RoxburghHibs
10-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Any update on this being online mate? Would love this. would even be willing to pay for a copy on DVD.

I have the DVD - it includes the 5-1 win over Dundee Utd in the group as well as the semi-final and final. Will try and get it uplaoded to Youtube tonight. If not I will make a copy and mail it to you.

Thanks loads G-Reg!!!

007 Mickey Weir
10-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I will take a copy if it doesn't upload.

Last Minute
10-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Please can I buy a copy

Tricla
10-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I'd love to see it again. Fond memories. Wasnt Kano the only person to score with a header?

G-Reg
10-03-2013, 09:04 PM
No problem if you need any other footage of old Hibs games I should be able to get my hands on most things

007 Mickey Weir
10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
No problem if you need any other footage of old Hibs games I should be able to get my hands on most things

If you can you should get on You tube or get Roxburghhibs to!

Mister P
11-03-2013, 09:44 AM

What about the skol cup 91 game??

A copy of the 6s game please :-)

hibby rae
11-03-2013, 02:11 PM
What about the skol cup 91 game??

A copy of the 6s game please :-)

The team that would not die and that was the team that was are both on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXs2JokGScE Budgie!:thumbsup:

RoxburghHibs
11-03-2013, 06:14 PM
TENNENTS SIXES 1990

http://youtu.be/xNTlIMei-xs

hibby rae
11-03-2013, 06:20 PM
TENNENTS SIXES 1990

Brilliant!:thumbsup: Can I just say thank you to all for doing this:not worth

GGTTH.

RoxburghHibs
11-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Brilliant!:thumbsup: Can I just say thank you to all for doing this:not worth

GGTTH.

I take it you can view the video? If G-Reg has any other old video footage I'm more than happy to do the same and upload to Youtube?

hibby rae
11-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I take it you can view the video? If G-Reg has any other old video footage I'm more than happy to do the same and upload to Youtube?

Yeah seems to work a treat.

RoxburghHibs
11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Yeah seems to work a treat.

Good stuff!!!

:thumbsup:

Glorious
11-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Brilliant - thanks for posting this - can't believe how nervous I got watching the pens against Them :wink:

007 Mickey Weir
11-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Brilliant.

DaveF
11-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Was Kano's opener against Dundee United over the line? :greengrin

greenlex
11-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Magic. just watched that start to finish. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Well done and thanks for taking the time to do that lads.

Baldy Foghorn
11-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Some cracking hair do's on show.....

Goram joking that we were in Cup Winners Cup after picking up trophy......Magic, Kano looked like some finisher in these pictures, he was moaning at JC at the end of Final for not squaring ball to him, even though we had won....:greengrin

greenlex
11-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Goram joking that we were in Cup Winners Cup after picking up trophy......Magic, Kano looked like some finisher in these pictures, he was moaning at JC at the end of Final for not squaring ball to him, even though we had won....:greengrin
Rangers getting two dodgy penalties. Stevie Fulton still till ugly as ****.Somethings never change. :greengrin:greengrin

LaMotta
11-03-2013, 09:14 PM

He was a goal machine, no idea why Lexo played him at right back :greengrin

Jonnyboy
11-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Brilliant memories and a trophy won with a sole striker up front :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
11-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Do you think people would want to go and watch something like this if it was organised again in a similar kind of way?

G-Reg
11-03-2013, 09:38 PM

I will speak to my uncle I think he has a few hundred dvds. I will ask what's all there and get back to you

Mister P
11-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Tennents sixes should be brought back, u19s or reserve squads could compete, give them exposure to the fans etc.

am I correct in thinking the reserves don't have a league anymore, just meaningless friendlies?

jabis
11-03-2013, 10:47 PM
:top marks nice one guys,enjoyed that.

leithsansiro
11-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Happy memories! I totally miss the Sixes and would love it to be brought back. It's just not the same standing down at the Pitz with a video camera...:wink:

From what I recall, insurance for the players taking part in the competition was funded by Tennents and when they withdrew sponsorship in 1993, the SFA couldn't get another sponsor who would back a similar deal and therefore the competition folded. I personally blame Sky and the rise of the EPL for the Sixes downfall.

EdinMike
12-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Do you think people would want to go and watch something like this if it was organised again in a similar kind of way?

I think people would, but whether clubs and players agents would allow it these days... :cb

H13BYM
12-03-2013, 06:41 AM
CLASS! :flag:

RoxburghHibs
12-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I will speak to my uncle I think he has a few hundred dvds. I will ask what's all there and get back to you

Absolutely! Would be good to get some rare Hibs footage online :flag:

Baker9
12-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Off topic but can anyone help with where I would get a new copy of the Killie v Hibs CIS cup final DVD? Not in the shop not on Amazon.

dave62
12-03-2013, 05:02 PM
TENNENTS SIXES 1990

Thanks for posting this. Getting all misty eyed.

hfc rd
12-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Off topic but can anyone help with where I would get a new copy of the Killie v Hibs CIS cup final DVD? Not in the shop not on Amazon.

eBay?

Hibs90
18-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Just stumbled across this on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNTlIMei-xs

Bring it back I say. Looks fantastic :agree: