PDA

View Full Version : BBC commentary

givescotlandfreedom
17-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Aside from the hilarity just how bad was McLeod today? Neither one supports the Saviles but that's so me of the most woefully biased commentary I've ever heard. I reckon McLeod must be £1 for every time he mentions the day last May too, every time he's on TV he's endlessly slavering on about it with the most tedious links. Even when the Merricks were getting their losers' medals. Rancid

PerfectlyFranck
17-03-2013, 08:46 PM
You just re-posted a thread to bump it to the top? :bitchy:

Argylehibby
17-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Aside from the hilarity just how bad was McLeod today? Neither one supports the Saviles but that's so me of the most woefully biased commentary I've ever heard. I reckon McLeod must be £1 for every time he mentions the day last May too, every time he's on TV he's endlessly slavering on about it with the most tedious links. Even when the Merricks were getting their losers' medals. Rancid

:agree: At least 4 times before the game was even 2 minutes old.

Hibercelona
17-03-2013, 08:52 PM
When it was 3-1, all they could talk about was how "harsh" it was on Hearts and how they were going to claw their way back into it.

Nothing to do with St Mirren just having more experience....

Sir David Gray
17-03-2013, 08:54 PM
It's so obvious now that it's really quite sad, he's the same each and every time that he does a live commentary.

Very unprofessional from a BBC employee.

He could barely contain his excitement when Stevenson made it 3-2 with a few minutes left.

Just a pity that's as good as it got Liam, eh!?

Tube. :giruy:

Jonnyboy
17-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Liam McLeod is and always will be a 5hite commentator. End of :agree:

Eyemouth Hibby
17-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Have to agree, I was on the verge of throwing my glass of red cola at the Television if he mentioned last May one more time.

Alfred E Newman
17-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Heard early on when they were 1-0 up thanks to that "fluke" as McGlynn would call it, the commentator saying " They are desperate for another trophy to put beside the Scottish Cup in the trophy cabinet " . And here was me thinking they were knocked oot by a wee team in the 1st round.

eastterrace
17-03-2013, 09:05 PM
yes comentator was getting om my tits , he must be a jambo , kept going on how hard done by they were also mentiones last may a few times

DH1875
17-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Have you heard him do one of our games? If you think he was bad today, he's a ducking joke :agree:.

EdinMike
17-03-2013, 09:07 PM
The more important question is when will the Highlights be up, so I can re watch them on mute and play 500 Miles over the footage !!

:agree:

Pretty Boy
17-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Don't even get his 'hard done by' chat.

From what I watched it looked like Hearts caught St Mirren cold/nervy for the first 20 minutes or so. After that thought Sts passed the ball about really well, looked in control and deserved their lead. Hearts threw the kitchen sink at them after Stevensons second, as you would expect, but didn't really look like scoring.

Sylar
17-03-2013, 09:12 PM
It's been discussed in the past but it's pretty well known that he's a Dandy :agree:

Golden Bear
17-03-2013, 09:13 PM
The plooky faced wee freak is supposed to be a Dons fan but I find that hard to believe.

Treadstone
17-03-2013, 09:14 PM
The more important question is when will the Highlights be up, so I can re watch them on mute and play 500 Miles over the footage !!

:agree:

A more important question than that is why is Gordon Strachan in fitba if he bid £1.7m for Gary Locke ? :dunno:

Iggy Pope
17-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Constant references to 'the Jambos' too.
Sounds like a sparryheed no question.

17-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Commentary was very biased towards the maroon morons, any opportunity he got to slip in a comment about the cup final last year he took !

Depor Hibs
17-03-2013, 09:24 PM
He didn't need an opportunity!

The_Sauz
17-03-2013, 09:54 PM
They failed to mention Gary McCocks last visit to Hampden in 2007:greengrin

12AlbionPlace
17-03-2013, 10:06 PM
His description of Mad Vlad as a "colourful character" was astounding.

The new definition of a colourful character is obviously, a crook who has brought a football club to it's knees:greengrin

Cropley10
17-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Liam Macleod has got to be a puddle drinker. He was DESPERATE for Hertz to win.

Treadstone
17-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Potter on Sportscene. Before his punditry I predict he will talk about formations and tactical changes to try and fool the viewer that he knows about fitba.

cleanyman
17-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Paul Mitchell is a Jambo but he was always neutral.

Bring him back.

Also, Macleod's accent is too distinct.

cabbageandribs1875
17-03-2013, 10:35 PM
recording sportscene so no telling the score please

http://bostoncatholicinsider.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/man-with-fingers-in-ears.jpg

jdships
17-03-2013, 11:11 PM
After ten minutes of the game I turned the commentary down until St M were 3-1 up .
Then lo and behold they were still spouting about hearts terrible ' luck'
( Even had their 'own' Ref and couldn't manage it )

Sportscene needs a revamp and new faces ASAP - tired and boring

Rivers Cuomo
17-03-2013, 11:24 PM
As usual was cringing every time McLeod spoke. Such a clear Jambo its unreal, he was desperate for them to do it today.

Hates us too it seems.

iwasthere1972
17-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Ngoo. What a huddy. Worse than Nade and slower.

Stantons Angel
17-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Commentary was very biased towards the maroon morons, any opportunity he got to slip in a comment about the cup final last year he took !

I thought it was just me thinking that the commentator was so biased against St Mirren?

He was prattling on about how small a club St Mirren are and how Hearts must up their game and take the ball to them.

This is all when they were getting beaten 3-1 too. He thought it was a shame that they hadnt put the ball in the net cause St Mirren were not in the game!

POPPYCOCK! id always thought it was the team who put the ball in the net more than the other were usually winners?

I dont know who was more excited when that third goal went in, me or my son who was running around the living room in celebration.

Wonder who paid for Romanov to get over, i thought id read he was skint? Hope he paid for the ticket and his TAXI fare from the airport.

Well done St Mirren and thanks for making my day!!!

SurferRosa
17-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Apart from his constant references to last May, which he mentions ad nauseum whenever he`s doing a Hibs or Hertz game, he also came away with this classic.. " listen to that atmosphere ".

I dont know about anybody else, but i`ve never " heard " an atmosphere..

The worst Scottish commentator by far.....and a complete tool.

KWJ
18-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Knew Liam a few years ago and he's definitely an Aberdeen fan, worked hard to get where he is but it is like he's the only one they use now and Paul Mitchell is very good and Alexander?

SkintHibby
18-03-2013, 06:23 AM
And if we make the cup final, he'll spend the whole game telling everyone how crap Hibs were last May.:rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
18-03-2013, 06:27 AM
And if we make the cup final, he'll spend the whole game telling everyone how crap Hibs were last May.:rolleyes:

He'll be doing that all through the Falkirk game, as that'll be the first time we've been at Hampden since blablabla.

SkintHibby
18-03-2013, 06:28 AM
http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=23599

twiceinathens
18-03-2013, 10:02 AM
We are all a a bit paranoid about what we see as unfair bias in the media against us/ for our opposition but this made the normal butt-licking towards the Bigot brothers look like clinical analysis. This would have been just as reprehensible whoever the team was, but the fact it was Hearts makes it particularly unpalatable for us.

18-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Apart from his constant references to last May, which he mentions ad nauseum whenever he`s doing a Hibs or Hertz game, he also came away with this classic.. " listen to that atmosphere ".

I dont know about anybody else, but i`ve never " heard " an atmosphere..

The worst Scottish commentator by far.....and a complete tool.

Totally agree, absolute pish atmosphere for a cup final! The yams were silent, occasionally coming in now and then with a hibs related song or HHGH which lasted all of 20 seconds but other than that they were crap!

The Sea-gull
19-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Don't think there is any dispute that he is a Dons fan but he doesn't seem to half hate us for some reason.

Even before last season's final he seemed to have a bit of a downer about us. I have always thought it might have been because he, like Richard Gordon, Paw Broon and many others of an Aberdeen persuasion, are really bitter about losing the semi final to us last season. Paw Broon brought it up in an interview on the radio last weeken FFS. They saw us as p$shy wee bottom of the table Hibs who they should have turned up and walked all over. Remember Aberdeen haven't been in a final even since 2000 and they are absolutely choking on getting to one.

They feel they played better than us on the day and that our winner was off-side. That is possibly why they seemed to have taken an unhealthy amount of pleasure from our cup final defeat and like to mention it as often as possible. Will be killing them even more that they have been put out the cup two seasons on the bounce by us now.

Remember McLeod's "are you watching Hibernian" comment as Dunfermline were clawing back points on us in the relegation battle during last season's post split fixtures? The irony is, I think that came during a game where Dunfermline were humping Aberdeen. He seemed to be getting a wee bit excited about the prospect of us being relegated.

Other than the Aberdeen cup thing, no idea why him and Richard Gordon seem hate us so much. Very strange.

Sir David Gray
19-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Don't think there is any dispute that he is a Dons fan but he doesn't seem to half hate us for some reason.

Even before last season's final he seemed to have a bit of a downer about us. I have always thought it might have been because he, like Richard Gordon, Paw Broon and many others of an Aberdeen persuasion, are really bitter about losing the semi final to us last season. Paw Broon brought it up in an interview on the radio last weeken FFS. They saw us as p$shy wee bottom of the table Hibs who they should have turned up and walked all over. Remember Aberdeen haven't been in a final even since 2000 and they are absolutely choking on getting to one.

They feel they played better than us on the day and that our winner was off-side. That is possibly why they seemed to have taken an unhealthy amount of pleasure from our cup final defeat and like to mention it as often as possible. Will be killing them even more that they have been put out the cup two seasons on the bounce by us now.

Remember McLeod's "are you watching Hibernian" comment as Dunfermline were clawing back points on us in the relegation battle during last season's post split fixtures? The irony is, I think that came during a game where Dunfermline were humping Aberdeen. He seemed to be getting a wee bit excited about the prospect of us being relegated.

Other than the Aberdeen cup thing, no idea why him and Richard Gordon seem hate us so much. Very strange.

The difference between Craig Brown and that fud McLeod is that Brown is actually employed by Aberdeen and is entitled to talk about things from an Aberdeen perspective and be quite biased towards them. You expect that kind of thing from players and managers.

McLeod, on the other hand, is a BBC employee and as such is supposed to be completely neutral, professional and unbiased.

Any commentaries I've ever heard him do, certainly in the past year or so, are completely the opposite from all of those standards and it's about time that his bosses had a word with him about it.

He simply cannot deny what he's doing, it's been so obvious for such a long time and it's really beyond a joke now.

Golden Bear
19-03-2013, 04:53 PM
The difference between Craig Brown and that fud McLeod is that Brown is actually employed by Aberdeen and is entitled to talk about things from an Aberdeen perspective and be quite biased towards them. You expect that kind of thing from players and managers.

McLeod, on the other hand, is a BBC employee and as such is supposed to be completely neutral, professional and unbiased.

Any commentaries I've ever heard him do, certainly in the past year or so, are completely the opposite from all of those standards and it's about time that his bosses had a word with him about it.

He simply cannot deny what he's doing, it's been so obvious for such a long time and it's really beyond a joke now.

I think Liam attended the same Beeb induction course as Preston, Robertson,etc etc.

It's all a big wind up I know but it doesn't make it any less annoying.l

JimBHibees
19-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Any notion of BBC impartiality surely has been put to bed when you have Blobbo/Preston etc on BBC Sportsound screaming with delight when someone scores against Hibs. Can you imagine if they were Rangers fans (well Preston is of course) and they were acting like that whenever Celtc lost a goal? It just wouldn't be allowed to happen. Maybe McLeod being relatively a new kid on the block has picked up this apparent anti Hibs mood at Auntie.

truehibernian
19-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Paul Mitchell, huge Hearts fan, really nice bloke, still tries to play football ;-) , superb unbiased commentator ..........Liam McLeod shouts into the microphone and gets his metaphors wrong, and hates Hibs - I'm serious when I say that we should campaign to get Paul back into the top commentator slot. A country mile better than Liam even if he is a Jambo - you'd simply never tell from his commentaries which is the sign of a great match commentary.

Saying that, Dons fans hate Scott Davie way more than our dislike of McLeod - Scott's commentary in the Aberdeen defeat to East Fife was simply brilliant that night.

Golden Bear
19-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Paul Mitchell, huge Hearts fan, really nice bloke, still tries to play football ;-) , superb unbiased commentator ..........Liam McLeod shouts into the microphone and gets his metaphors wrong, and hates Hibs - I'm serious when I say that we should campaign to get Paul back into the top commentator slot. A country mile better than Liam even if he is a Jambo - you'd simply never tell from his commentaries which is the sign of a great match commentary.

Saying that, Dons fans hate Scott Davie way more than our dislike of McLeod - Scott's commentary in the Aberdeen defeat to East Fife was simply brilliant that night.

I totally agree with that.

He comes across as being sensible and balanced which are very unusual traits in a person of the maroon persuasion.

s.a.m
19-03-2013, 05:28 PM

:agree: I don't mind Paul Mitchell at all. Hearts fans commentating on Hibs matches doesn't bother me so long as they cover the match as a football commentator, and not as a Hearts fan down the pub with his mates.

jabis
19-03-2013, 05:34 PM

he dosn't "hate us",he usually bigs-up hibs WHEN he can.

and yes I do like "open all mikes" great laugh,even if I could strangle preston and robbo at times.

Dan Sarf
19-03-2013, 07:08 PM
he dosn't "hate us",he usually bigs-up hibs WHEN he can.

and yes I do like "open all mikes" great laugh,even if I could strangle preston and robbo at times.

Only if you couldn't care less what is happening at the game. :grr:

ekhibee
19-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Paul Mitchell is a Jambo but he was always neutral.

Bring him back.

Also, Macleod's accent is too distinct.

Sorry mate can't agree with that, Mitchell has been biased loads of times in plenty of games. one's as bad as the other.

Sir David Gray
19-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Any notion of BBC impartiality surely has been put to bed when you have Blobbo/Preston etc on BBC Sportsound screaming with delight when someone scores against Hibs. Can you imagine if they were Rangers fans (well Preston is of course) and they were acting like that whenever Celtc lost a goal? It just wouldn't be allowed to happen. Maybe McLeod being relatively a new kid on the block has picked up this apparent anti Hibs mood at Auntie.

Yep, totally agree with that.

The comments from people like Preston towards Hibs would not be allowed to be broadcast if it was a Rangers or Celtic fan making a comment about the other one.

JimBHibees
20-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Yep, totally agree with that.

The comments from people like Preston towards Hibs would not be allowed to be broadcast if it was a Rangers or Celtic fan making a comment about the other one.

Yep but because its Hibs and the club tend to not make a big deal out of these things then they think it is a laugh and that they can get away with it. I know the Open all mikes is meant to be a banter type programme however there still needs to be some sort of level of professionalism and impartiality involved. I can remember when Ross County scored the equaliser in the cup game at ER a few years back and the screeching and general euphoria from Preston and Robertson was pathetic.

GlenrothesHibee
20-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Shame David Begg retired. Best commentator in my lifetime. Should really have got the TV gig

The Green Goblin
20-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Shame David Begg retired. Best commentator in my lifetime. Should really have got the TV gig

I remember listening to David Begg on the radio rather than watching a game on the telly- it was that good. Amazing commentator