PDA

View Full Version : NHC Lee Hendrie, Bankrupt

theonlywayisup
16-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Why would you want your wee boy playing football, when he could end up like a Hendrie, Gazza or a Best. It is great to be loved, but there is a downside!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21790728 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21790728)

hibsbollah
16-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I listened to that on You and Yours on Friday and i was struck what a humble, generous guy Hendrie sounded. I know some will find it hard to have sympathy for someone on 30k a week over 10 years blowing it all...but i did.

Wotherspiniesta
16-03-2013, 10:44 PM
The only downside of being a professional footballer should be the unwanted attention by the press, folk in the street etc.

I've got absolutely no sympathy for a guy that is making £30,000 a week and ends up with nothing.

Just how stupid have you got to be to waste that kind of money?

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2013, 10:57 PM
The only downside of being a professional footballer should be the unwanted attention by the press, folk in the street etc.

I've got absolutely no sympathy for a guy that is making £30,000 a week and ends up with nothing.

The majority of guys who make it as pro footballers are from backgrounds where money is scarce. To suddenly be put into a lifestyle where money is no object can be very daunting.

Lottery winners have the option of counselling. IMO, young guys earning more than most of us should have the same support.

rcarter1
16-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Harsh!

Taken (slightly edited) from the link to the story -

'Hendrie, according to sporting charity XPro, is just one of a number of footballers facing serious financial problems. The group claims as many as three in five Premier League footballers face bankruptcy within five years of retiring from the game.'

:confused:

hibsbollah
16-03-2013, 11:00 PM
The majority of guys who make it as pro footballers are from backgrounds where money is scarce. To suddenly be put into a lifestyle where money is no object can be very daunting.

Lottery winners have the option of counselling. IMO, young guys earning more than most of us should have the same support.

:agree:

rcarter1
16-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Never liked the money system of life, you've also got x hundreds of thousands unemployed who could do with counselling (or just a job would be nice!).

Wotherspiniesta
16-03-2013, 11:04 PM

That's true. Even little Oliver wanted more. The greedy little toerag :greengrin

Still, badly advised, drinking/gambling problems... I cannot for the life of me wonder why these guys don't save some of their money. 30 GRAND A WEEK.

Silly.

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2013, 11:05 PM
That's true. Even little Oliver wanted more. The greedy little toerag :greengrin

Still, badly advised, drinking/gambling problems... I cannot for the life of me wonder why these guys don't save some of their money. 30 GRAND A WEEK.

Silly.

Because they have never been taught how to.

And, I think you misunderstood my point. It's not about wanting more.... it's actually about having too much, money and responsibility.

Wotherspiniesta
16-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Because they have never been taught how to.

And, I think you misunderstood my point. It's not about wanting more.... it's actually about having too much, money and responsibility.

Having too much money. It sounds like a terrible problem :rolleyes: Have they ever heard of a bank account?

I mean interest rates are quite pish right now but a couple of months wages into a fixed rate ISA and by the time they have to leave the game, they'll have more than enough money to live well.

I just can't understand it. Sounds ridiculous to me.

PatHead
16-03-2013, 11:16 PM

Silly.

To be fair on Henry he did invest money, just badly. He didn't go on drink, gambling or drug binges.

CropleyWasGod
16-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Having too much money. It sounds like a terrible problem :rolleyes: Have they ever heard of a bank account?

I mean interest rates are quite pish right now but a couple of months wages into a fixed rate ISA and by the time they have to leave the game, they'll have more than enough money to live well.

I just can't understand it. Sounds ridiculous to me.

It sounds like you have had a decent upbringing, with a sensible and balanced attitude to money. However, sadly, not everyone has that experience.

rcarter1
16-03-2013, 11:23 PM
To be fair on Henry he did invest money, just badly. He didn't go on drink, gambling or drug binges.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were some pretty cynical guys 'advising' their investments. It boggles the mind, but tragic too.

LaMotta
16-03-2013, 11:31 PM

I've got a lot of sympathy for a guy that tried to take his own life twice. No amount of money can guarantee sound mental health - you sound like John Gregory.

Geo_1875
16-03-2013, 11:52 PM
The lifestyle these guys follow is a result of too much money and aspirations of modern times. If you earn £50k every week you have a lifestyle to match. When your house costs 6 months wages and your car costs 2 weeks wages you've then got a lot of money left to look after. Many people spend what they have and if that means gambling or drinking they're on a slippery slope.

pacorosssco
17-03-2013, 12:33 AM
Harsh!

Taken (slightly edited) from the link to the story -

'Hendrie, according to sporting charity XPro, is just one of a number of footballers facing serious financial problems. The group claims as many as three in five Premier League footballers face bankruptcy within five years of retiring from the game.'

:confused:

agree three in five of uk population strugle to meet a months costs without ever making thirty k a week nice guy or not

booshsutton
17-03-2013, 12:50 AM

Did you actually read the article or just garner the fact that he was on a peak of £30k per week?

He seems to understand that he was in a privileged position on a rediculous wage. Tried to provide for his families future by investing the cash in property, which was a wise thing to do prior to the recession kicking in, didn't 'waste' the cash gambling etc but seems to have taken bad advice and lost out by buying property which he couldn't sell. Then divorce compounded the issue and resulted in him filing for bankruptcy then attempting to take his own life twice.

He's not the only person to have lost out through property due to the recession, take a drive down to Ocean Terminal and look a the half finished flats or the blocks that sit empty. The construction industry has been hit harder than most in this recession, the amount of companies that were around when I came into the industry 10 years ago that are no longer here is quite staggering.

Hibercelona
17-03-2013, 01:02 AM
It's not just ex-footballers. It happens all the time to people who have so much money, but so much freetime on their hands as well.

The problem with many ex-football players is that when they leave the professional game, they end up doing nothing else afterwards.

That kind of boredom after being in the limelight for so long can overwhelm a man completely.

Wotherspiniesta
17-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Did you actually read the article or just garner the fact that he was on a peak of £30k per week?

He seems to understand that he was in a privileged position on a rediculous wage. Tried to provide for his families future by investing the cash in property, which was a wise thing to do prior to the recession kicking in, didn't 'waste' the cash gambling etc but seems to have taken bad advice and lost out by buying property which he couldn't sell. Then divorce compounded the issue and resulted in him filing for bankruptcy then attempting to take his own life twice.

He's not the only person to have lost out through property due to the recession, take a drive down to Ocean Terminal and look a the half finished flats or the blocks that sit empty. The construction industry has been hit harder than most in this recession, the amount of companies that were around when I came into the industry 10 years ago that are no longer here is quite staggering.

Well, that's good. Obviously he's done a lot of growing up; and of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't making investments in housing a type of gambling? For me, he's wasted his money. With regards to how low he felt, trying to kill himself etc, That's a sad state of affairs of course. But in terms of how he's wasted (yes wasted) that kind of money, I don't see why he should be gaining sympathisers. Footballers are in such a priveledged position on society with regards to their income. Especially premier league footballers and the fact that he's become bankrupt is just something I can't comprehend.

VickMackie
17-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Tell him to get a Wonga.

oregonhibby
17-03-2013, 08:24 AM
He was explaining how he got into this position not looking for sympathy.

As to investing in property it was and is still a good investment vehicle. You will find most pension funds still invest in the sector. It all comes down to when you need to sell it. He could have put it into Northern Rock and ended up with £50k. Bankruptcy is more and more prevalent today and can happen to anyone.

I hope he gets his life in order. It will take time and hard work but it is not how you fall it is about how you get back up.

Good luck to him....and everyone in the same position.

grunt
17-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't making investments in housing a type of gambling? Well, to an extent, any form of investment is a type of gambling. You buy something and hope it increases in value, but you personally can't influence the outcome of the investment. I read this story too, and my initial reaction was the same as many on here. But Hendrie's story does seem to be a bit different - he at least tried to provide for himself and his future. He seems to have been very badly advised.

IndieHibby
17-03-2013, 09:34 AM
When you are young, and life hasn't happened to you yet it is easy to criticise people as the choices you have had to make so far have been fairly straight forward and life is black-and-white.
There are some young people, regardless of this, who have the wisdom to realise this before life happens to them. They have my respect.
To criticise Lee Hendrie, when it is clear that he has been considerably unfortunate, badly advised, whatever, smacks of the former.
I hope those who criticise him, publicly in this manner, learn that life is rarely as simple as they see it now - without too much pain in the process.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-03-2013, 10:34 AM
He was on Talksport last week doing a wee about playing for a team in the Blue Square League and basically just doing it for the love of the game. The money stuff doesn't appear to be a new story though and the interviewer never brought it up. I am not sure that there is any real positive in putting yourself in someone else's shoes and then applying your own values like it is some sort of equation.

jdships
17-03-2013, 10:42 AM

:agree::top marks

Think I am correct in that Hibs run classes ( at EM's ?) in business management for the young lads ( My two have attended and found them
excellent )

Ryan69
17-03-2013, 11:02 AM
It happens more than you think. I live in Netherlands. Glen Helder(ex Arsenal) used to work where I am....He gambled all his money away.

SMAXXA
17-03-2013, 11:40 AM
And then there's Wayne Foster shouting his mouth of at the barmaid the other night about how he got 3 drinks in then left them on the bar when him and his 2 mates went to the bookies for an hour, yes an hour and came back to find his drinks had gone and was giving the barmaid pelters for it.

Every pennys a prisoner, tube.