PDA

View Full Version : Progress by Points and Places

rcarter1
16-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Just thought Id describe each teams progress (or otherwise) in terms of current points or place relative to last years total. :nerd:

By Current League Position........By Points

Ross County...........+8...............N/A
ICT.......................+7...............+8
Hibs......................+5...............+7
Motherwell.............+1...............-12
St Johnstone..........+1...............-6
Celtic....................0.................-28
Aberdeen...............0.................-3
Kilmarnock..............-1...............-9
DundeeUtd.............-3...............-20
St Mirren...............-3................-10
Hearts..................-5.................-18
Rangers................-28............... N/A

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Just thought Id describe each teams progress (or otherwise) in terms of current points or place relative to last years total. :nerd:

By Current League Position........By Points

Ross County...........+8...............N/A
ICT.......................+7...............+8
Hibs......................+5...............+7
Motherwell.............+1...............-12
St Johnstone..........+1...............-6
Celtic....................0.................-28
Aberdeen...............0.................-3
Kilmarnock..............-1...............-9
DundeeUtd.............-3...............-20
St Mirren...............-3................-10
Hearts..................-5.................-18
Rangers................-28............... N/A

Well done Pat we are moving in the right direction :thumbsup:

rcarter1
16-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Well done Pat we are moving in the right direction :thumbsup:

I was dithering whether to post this, until I realised that Rangers had dropped 28 places.:greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
16-03-2013, 08:21 PM
So without dodgy linesmen we'd be +11 which would be the best in the league. Hopefully things will 'even themselves out' but even if they do its annoying as we could miss out on the top 6.

I'm actually surprised its only +7. Last year we seemed to be getting turned over every week where this season, while we're by no means brilliant, it feels a lot better. We've had some good results in the scottish cup as well. Hopefully that number will go up and more of the same next year.

Worrying that Celtic can be -28 and still walking the league.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 08:52 PM
That's quite misleading as you're calculating each team's current total and comparing it with their final total of last season when they had played 7 more games.

A more accurate statistic would be to state how teams are faring in comparison with the same stage last season.

Celtic: Position: 0 Points: -10
Motherwell: Position: +1 Points: -4
Inverness: Position: +7 Points: +16
St Johnstone: Position: -1 Points: -5
Hibernian: Position: +5 Points: +17
Dundee Utd: Position: -3 Points: -4
Kilmarnock: Position: -1 Points: +4
Aberdeen: Position: -1 Points: +5
Hearts: Position: -4 Points: -8
St Mirren: Position: -2 Points: +2

I haven't included Rangers, Dunfermline, Ross County or Dundee in the statistics as three of those clubs are in entirely different leagues from last season and the other one no longer exists so I don't see the sense in mentioning them in this particular league table.

Heisenberg
16-03-2013, 09:05 PM
So we've actually gained more points at this point in the season than we had last season at the same point? Actually, it looks like we've gained more than any other team in the league. This sort of improvement will not do. Petrie out. Fenlon out. Farmer out. McCourt out. Butcher in. Murray on for Miller. Butcher out. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2013, 09:09 PM
That's quite misleading as you're calculating each team's current total and comparing it with their final total of last season when they had played 7 more games.

A more accurate statistic would be to state how teams are faring in comparison with the same stage last season.

Celtic: Position: 0 Points: -10
Motherwell: Position: +1 Points: -4
Inverness: Position: +7 Points: +16
St Johnstone: Position: -1 Points: -5
Hibernian: Position: +5 Points: +17
Dundee Utd: Position: -3 Points: -4
Kilmarnock: Position: -1 Points: +4
Aberdeen: Position: -1 Points: +5
Hearts: Position: -4 Points: -8
St Mirren: Position: -2 Points: +2

I haven't included Rangers, Dunfermline, Ross County or Dundee in the statistics as three of those clubs are in entirely different leagues from last season and the other one no longer exists so I don't see the sense in mentioning them in this particular league table.

rcarter1 OUT Falkirk Hibee IN

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 09:24 PM
So we've actually gained more points at this point in the season than we had last season at the same point? Actually, it looks like we've gained more than any other team in the league. This sort of improvement will not do. Petrie out. Fenlon out. Farmer out. McCourt out. Butcher in. Murray on for Miller. Butcher out. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We have, yes. But I don't think we should be patting ourselves on the back too much for any comparisons to last year's performance. If we hadn't improved on last year, we would have been relegated.

We have progressed, there's no doubts about it, but let's see how much progress is made next season, off the back of an average season like this year, instead of using an unbelievably bad season like last year as a benchmark.

If we have more progress next season then I'll be very happy. Although if we win the Scottish Cup in May then I may not be around to see next season! :greengrin

Heisenberg
16-03-2013, 09:38 PM
We have, yes. But I don't think we should be patting ourselves on the back too much for any comparisons to last year's performance. If we hadn't improved on last year, we would have been relegated.

We have progressed, there's no doubts about it, but let's see how much progress is made next season, off the back of an average season like this year, instead of using an unbelievably bad season like last year as a benchmark.

If we have more progress next season then I'll be very happy. Although if we win the Scottish Cup in May then I may not be around to see next season! :greengrin

Agreed, we havent been brilliant and dont deserve much credit for having an average season. However, I think it would also be fair if some could actually acknowledge that we've moved forward as a team this season. The way some people are going on you would think we were in another relegation fight again this season and that there has been absolutley no progress. The form hasnt been good in the second half of the season and everyone knows it. Maybe this set of players have found their place in the league for the season. Slap bang in the middle. Not pish. Not great. Just meh.

Next season is the key one in my eyes too. Top six/Euro Places are an absolute must.

rcarter1
16-03-2013, 09:42 PM
rcarter1 OUT Falkirk Hibee IN

Hey!! :greengrin

To be fair to Falkirk Hibee his version is much more thoroughly researched. :top marks

HibeeMG
16-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I was dithering whether to post this, until I realised that Rangers had dropped 28 places.:greengrin

Rangers N/A N/A

The Rangers N/A N/A

:wink:

monktonharp
16-03-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm reasonably happy this season so far, with our performances. unbeaten by the gorgie mob, higher up the league but thought we'd have clinched top 6 at least. however, if we can get into the scottish cup final back to back then that is progress. If you get to finals on a regular basis, sometimes you win the cup.

jeffers
16-03-2013, 10:02 PM
All I am doing here is asking the question, but what is going to improve from this season to next that will see us make further progress ?

rcarter1
16-03-2013, 10:16 PM
All I am doing here is asking the question, but what is going to improve from this season to next that will see us make further progress ?

For me its still down to developing a more forward thinking midfield. We need some signings that help put motherwell, ICT etc on the backfoot for longer periods. Griffiths staying with a mobile battering ram up front would also do wonders.

WestEndHibee
16-03-2013, 10:20 PM

That's a very pointless question IMO. How does a club inprove any season? How did we improve from last season?

We did it by (amongst other things) putting together a team that cared more for the jersey. A team that was better organised and much more solid at the back. We signed Big Ben and we've begun to bring a few more youngsters into the team. On top of it all, the fans have been excellent this year spurring on the team whatever the score.

Surely the answer to your question is obvious? More of the same! It's begun already with craig coming and Stevenson signing on.

down-the-slope
16-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Defenders that can play out from the back as well as defend - particularly at Full back

Wide players with pace but also able to track back

Craig Brewster / Mixu type

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 10:32 PM

Finishing in the top 3 or 4 would be a good start.

jeffers
16-03-2013, 10:42 PM
That's a very pointless question IMO. How does a club inprove any season? How did we improve from last season?

We did it by (amongst other things) putting together a team that cared more for the jersey. A team that was better organised and much more solid at the back. We signed Big Ben and we've begun to bring a few more youngsters into the team. On top of it all, the fans have been excellent this year spurring on the team whatever the score.

Surely the answer to your question is obvious? More of the same! It's begun already with craig coming and Stevenson signing on.

Pointless question ? I don't think so. I agree we've made progress I'm just asking what others think will happen to take us on further. Personally I think as a team we are too slow, too negative and rely far too much on one player. You say more of the same but our league form since the turn of the year has been woeful, more of that and we will be down near the bottom of the table. I agree Craig looks a good signing and while Stevenson does deserve a new contract he's not a player that is going to help us to progress.

WestEndHibee
16-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Pointless question ? I don't think so. I agree we've made progress I'm just asking what others think will happen to take us on further. Personally I think as a team we are too slow, too negative and rely far too much on one player. You say more of the same but our league form since the turn of the year has been woeful, more of that and we will be down near the bottom of the table. I agree Craig looks a good signing and while Stevenson does deserve a new contract he's not a player that is going to help us to progress.

Yeh I apologise, I've misread the implications behind the question. I read it as a negative "How can we improve?" as in "I can't see a way that we can improve". As opposed to which aspects can we improve on. WHich is definitely not a pointless question :greengrin.

I agree, we don't have the killer instinct at all (bar Griffiths). After watching the derby the other week it was painfully obvious that Hearts were there for the taking and there to be run at, yet we backed off and leaned towards the long ball which really shouldn't be our style. I liked the directness that motherwell had last night and I feel that Hibs need to learn a lot from that, while our midfield is stronger, it's not nearly strong enough in attack.

Still, even when we lose I leave Easter Road with a much more positive feeling this season than last. I am an optimist still (maybe due to a shorter experience of Hibs) and I believe that development will only be sustainable if it is done carefully and slower than we would like. One thing is that PF seems to care a lot more about Hibs than CC did and hopefully he has some gems ready to be signed at the close season.

jeffers
16-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeh I apologise, I've misread the implications behind the question. I read it as a negative "How can we improve?" as in "I can't see a way that we can improve". As opposed to which aspects can we improve on. WHich is definitely not a pointless question :greengrin.

I agree, we don't have the killer instinct at all (bar Griffiths). After watching the derby the other week it was painfully obvious that Hearts were there for the taking and there to be run at, yet we backed off and leaned towards the long ball which really shouldn't be our style. I liked the directness that motherwell had last night and I feel that Hibs need to learn a lot from that, while our midfield is stronger, it's not nearly strong enough in attack.

Still, even when we lose I leave Easter Road with a much more positive feeling this season than last. I am an optimist still (maybe due to a shorter experience of Hibs) and I believe that development will only be sustainable if it is done carefully and slower than we would like. One thing is that PF seems to care a lot more about Hibs than CC did and hopefully he has some gems ready to be signed at the close season.

No problem, I probably should have been clearer in my original post. I pretty much agree with all of your post above.