PDA

View Full Version : Norris and Whyte

Crab apple
16-03-2013, 12:09 PM
http://videocelts.com/2013/03/blogs/spl-dump-blundering-norris

I've been out of the country since Monday and so apologies if this or something similar has been posted. I hope both don't return toofficiating at top flight games for some time.

The Green Goblin
16-03-2013, 12:30 PM
It will be interesting to see where they are both put over the next few weeks. Demoting them for one game means hee haw if they are back to their bungling ways 2 or 3 games later. Still can't believe that goal wasn't given....

grunt
16-03-2013, 12:46 PM
This was in today's Scotsman

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sport/football/glenn-gibbons-hold-shoddy-spl-refs-to-account-1-2840843

Glenn Gibbons: Hold shoddy SPL refs to account

As a consequence of Leigh Griffiths’ disallowed goal in the Edinburgh derby last Sunday, the rush to revisit the debate over goal-line technology was as predictable as it was irrelevant.
Those who immediately sought a juicy headline from football’s besieged legislators seemed to overlook the point that the Hibernian striker’s ferocious drive past Hearts goalkeeper (http://www.hibs.net/#) Jamie MacDonald had no place in any discussion. The ball was so far over the line that confirmation of the goal should have been as routine for referee Euan Norris and linesman Raymond Whyte as tossing the coin.

The most irritating aspect of such incidents is not that the authorities are about as fast-moving as sloths – that is their accustomed pace – but that the refereeing community remain so steadfast in their refusal to concede that any of their number could have exhibited the kind of incompetence which, in other workplaces, would have warranted at least a written warning.

In the wake of such colossal clangers, all manner of “extenuating”, but actually intelligence-insulting, possibilities are offered by official apologists. These usually take the form of an obstructed view, or a momentary distraction at the very instant of the incident.

This brand of unconditional defence recently brought the preposterous revelation from John Fleming, the Scottish FA’s refereeing head honcho, that all four officials – referee, two linesmen and fourth official – missed the assault by Motherwell goalkeeper (http://www.hibs.net/#) Darren Randolph on Hearts forward Callum Paterson. The “unsighted” argument rather collapsed with the realisation that Randolph was at least five feet up in the air when he kicked Paterson high on the chest.

Nor does the insistence that a referee “must be 100 per cent sure” before he can give a decision convince when set beside the action of regular blunderer Willie Collum, who famously awarded Rangers a penalty kick in a match against Celtic over an alleged foul which, television cameras confirmed, occurred behind his back.

None of these notorious examples of shoddy work has ever been followed by an admission of guilt and an apology from anyone in authority. There have been, of course, innumerable others from which every team in the land will have suffered. And it is one of the game’s great travesties that, when such an offence is committed, it is the victim, never the perpetrator, who is penalised.

Alfred E Newman
16-03-2013, 09:02 PM
I see Norris gave Cowdenbeath a corner today that seemingly was an obvious goal kick. You guessed it, they scored from it.

Geo_1875
17-03-2013, 12:09 AM
My favourite excuse was Kenny Clark claiming that they couldn't make the decision unless they were 100% sure. He did not go on to explain why Dundee United were awarded a penalty against Hibs. I assume the linesman was 110% positive that the foul was in the box.

Hibercelona
17-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Fuds like Thomson and Norris make the Freelands and Richmonds seem like refereeing legends.

The next batch is always worse than the last batch.

I dread to think where we'll be in another 5 years or so down the line.

hibby rae
17-03-2013, 10:53 AM
My favourite excuse was Kenny Clark claiming that they couldn't make the decision unless they were 100% sure. He did not go on to explain why Dundee United were awarded a penalty against Hibs. I assume the linesman was 110% positive that the foul was in the box.

Was there not an incident recently ( maybe Dundee derby) where a ref first decided against awarding a penalty and then changed his mind? Can't be 100% sure in those circumstances.