PDA

View Full Version : Signing players

GreenArmy1875
16-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Why is it we dont seem to find the right players we so desperately need? Other teams seem to be able to attract better players with less budget? Or do we find them and they simply dont want to come to hibs? Just wondered this for a while. Not even this season but for years its been happening?

Ringothedog
16-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Why is it we dont seem to find the right players we so desperately need? Other teams seem to be able to attract better players with less budget? Or do we find them and they simply dont want to come to hibs? Just wondered this for a while. Not even this season but for years its been happening?

Just out of curiosity who are those players we probably didn't want that we missed out on ?

J-C
16-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Just out of curiosity who are those players we probably didn't want that we missed out on ?

I think he probably means the players signed by other teams that are better than what we have and why can they attract them and we can't.

Last night just look at Daly, Law and Oujama....all better than what we have and non ever associated to coming to ER, WHY??

Heisenberg
16-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I think he probably means the players signed by other teams that are better than what we have and why can they attract them and we can't.

Last night just look at Daly, Law and Oujama....all better than what we have and non ever associated to coming to ER, WHY??

Because we haven't had anything resembling a decent scouting set up for years?

J-C
16-03-2013, 11:18 AM

I've been saying this for the past 3-4 years. :agree:

danhibees1875
16-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Extending Griffiths, McGivern and Claros deals while bringing in Robertson, KT and Craig for next year is pretty good going for an SPL team these days.

Why this hasn't been reflected in our onfield performance however is another question.

Odds are against us for the top 6 now but anything could happen. I still have faith in PF and his plan. :agree:

GreenArmy1875
16-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I totally have faith but we need to be spotting/attracting these players. How many scouts do we have for the first team?

gegs70
16-03-2013, 11:56 AM
I was listening to the motherwell game on the radio and everytime our midfielders got into good positions to take a shot they passed the ball off to the wing. Is this a confidence thing? I always thouggt Robertson ws an attacking midfielder?

gegs70
16-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Forgot to add did motherwell cut off supply to griffiths as he really is our only goal threat....I think the decision not to bring in another forward may be a poor decision!! positive is harris played well...

fat freddy
16-03-2013, 12:07 PM
deigan, claros, thomson, robertson, wotherspoon, cairney, stevenson, taiwo, done, harris, handling ---- midfield options

griffiths, doyle ----- attacking options

its obvious we have concentrated on strengthening the midfield while our attcking choices have remained limited...with griffiths off in the summer two new strikers are a priority

gegs70
16-03-2013, 12:26 PM
We have so many midfielders but still dont seem to have the midfield sorted. Altho Liam Craig will make a great difference.

J-C
16-03-2013, 01:20 PM
deigan, claros, thomson, robertson, wotherspoon, cairney, stevenson, taiwo, done, harris, handling ---- midfield options

griffiths, doyle ----- attacking options

its obvious we have concentrated on strengthening the midfield while our attcking choices have remained limited...with griffiths off in the summer two new strikers are a priority

Thought Handling was a striker

Bobo
16-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Most important signing for me has been the acquisition of Ben Williams. He's a good solid keeper which is something we've been lacking since the departure of Daniel Anderson. It's incredible that five previous managers failed to addressed this problem.

Fenlon now needs to address his defence as, like the goal keeper, it's been ***** over the same period where again previous managers have failed to improve it. Currently our best defender is a loanee who we'll be lucky to hold on to next season. We have two very poor fullbacks and another who appears to be injury prone. Our two centre halves aren't much better, one ageing, past his best and injury prone and the other's too soft and hasn't lived up to the promise he showed as a youngster.

IMO we need two no-nonsense centre halves and a couple of pacey fullbacks. I'd also like to see us get an intelligent sweeper and start playing 3-5-2 so we can take the game to the opposition instead of sitting in and surrendering possession. Our midfield and forwards would be far more effective in every formation with a solid defence behind them.

Performances this season show we are still badly under-achieving and while I know Rome wasn't built in a day and change takes time, I'm getting tired of waiting for a decent Hibs team to turn up at Easter Road. With a product as poor as the SPL and one half of the bigots missing, we should be doing MUCH better.

Love the Green
16-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Most important signing for me has been the acquisition of Ben Williams. He's a good solid keeper which is something we've been lacking since the departure of Daniel Anderson. It's incredible that five previous managers failed to addressed this problem.

Fenlon now needs to address his defence as, like the goal keeper, it's been ***** over the same period where again previous managers have failed to improve it. Currently our best defender is a loanee who we'll be lucky to hold on to next season. We have two very poor fullbacks and another who appears to be injury prone. Our two centre halves aren't much better, one ageing, past his best and injury prone and the other's too soft and hasn't lived up to the promise he showed as a youngster.

IMO we need two no-nonsense centre halves and a couple of pacey fullbacks. I'd also like to see us get an intelligent sweeper and start playing 3-5-2 so we can take the game to the opposition instead of sitting in and surrendering possession. Our midfield and forwards would be far more effective in every formation with a solid defence behind them.

Performances this season show we are still badly under-achieving and while I know Rome wasn't built in a day and change takes time, I'm getting tired of waiting for a decent Hibs team to turn up at Easter Road. With a product as poor as the SPL and one half of the bigots missing, we should be doing MUCH better.

:top marks
"keep the faith"

neil7908
16-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Its a difficult one. On one hand we have attracted decent players to ER like Griffiths, Williams, Claros, Taiwo, Craig etc but I do think you have a point.

I have no idea about exact budgets for SPL clubs but I would think that with Rangers out the picture and Hearts finally having to cut costs we will surely have the 2nd-4th biggest in the league.

Given that over the years we have had one of the biggest (and certainly significantly higher than ICT or Ross County) we have seen a lot of players join other SPL clubs and look brilliant against us whilst we have whittled away our money on poor to average journeymen who are gone and forgotten in a year.

I have no knowledge about what goes on at ER so cant comment on the quality of coaching but I do think that in all honesty we have had poor managers going back to Mowbray who have not used their resources well enough. There may be other issues as well but for me ultimately the manager is responsible for identifying players, scouts may make suggestions but I doubt many managers would be bringing in players without having a good look themselves.

sesoim
16-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Pretty much since John Park left.

sesoim
16-03-2013, 03:52 PM
We have so many midfielders but still dont seem to have the midfield sorted. Altho Liam Craig will make a great difference.

A sure sign Fenlon doesn't know what he is doing. Why blow the budget signing so many midfielders who are all pretty similar, when we desperately needed a couple of good attacking options, whether that be a target man, a goalscoring wide player or an Eremenko type who can link the midfield to Griffiths?

What was/is Fenlon's plan if Griffiths gets injured? Imagine if we get to the Final and Griffths picks up an injury. And if we don't have Griffiths next season, what will Fenlon do next, because we'd need to spend a couple of million to get someone who does the job Griffiths does.

Beefster
16-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I've been saying this for the past 3-4 years. :agree:

The scouting operation suffered when John Park left and then took even more of a nosedive when Lindsay started looking after it (and employing unqualified folk to supervise it).

A club like Hibs should be pumping most of their money into scouting and youth development but don't.

West hamBERNIAN
16-03-2013, 04:27 PM

It has been happening for years, As far back as i can remember in fact, Good hibs teams or bad its always been like that. We normally always have a good attacking team and were crying out for a quality defender, this season is the opposite. budget just always cant stretch to what we need, we never find enough quality at cheap rate which is frustrating. other teams seem to get players like this quite consistently. bad scouting?

Bobby's Cinema
16-03-2013, 04:32 PM
what an absolute nonsense thread. And It's a point that people seem to like to raise. Thomson, Robertson, Griffiths, Mcpake.

These are the sort of names that, had they been associated with other teams, you would be making the same comment about.

Why can't we sign players like Griffiths? Why can't we sign players like Thomson?

The main problem as I see it:

Pat, Long balls up to Leigh are ineffective. There's been small evidence of tactics on any kind of consistent basis for too long.

Lets get behind the team in going for the split and for the Scottish Cup. You can just feel this forum drifting ever so slightly back towards the dark days of the last few years again. And to be honest I cannae be bothered with that

hibsbollah
16-03-2013, 04:46 PM
what an absolute nonsense thread. And It's a point that people seem to like to raise. Thomson, Robertson, Griffiths, Mcpake.

These are the sort of names that, had they been associated with other teams, you would be making the same comment about.

Why can't we sign players like Griffiths? Why can't we sign players like Thomson?

Pat, Long balls up to Leigh are ineffective. There's been small evidence of tactics on any kind of consistent basis for too long.

Lets get behind the team in going for the split and for the Scottish Cup. You can just feel this forum drifting ever so slightly back towards the dark days of the last few years again. And to be honest I cannae be bothered with that

:agree:

Theres more and more joke threads these days. Whether its yams sick of being undercover or hibbys lost their prozac prescription i have no idea.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2013, 08:06 PM
A sure sign Fenlon doesn't know what he is doing. Why blow the budget signing so many midfielders who are all pretty similar, when we desperately needed a couple of good attacking options, whether that be a target man, a goalscoring wide player or an Eremenko type who can link the midfield to Griffiths?

What was/is Fenlon's plan if Griffiths gets injured? Imagine if we get to the Final and Griffths picks up an injury. And if we don't have Griffiths next season, what will Fenlon do next, because we'd need to spend a couple of million to get someone who does the job Griffiths does.

Yes that's right because we had to spend a couple of million to get Griffiths in the first place eh! I really don't know how a doom and gloom merchant like yourself manages to leave the house. Or maybe you don't actually leave the house!

West hamBERNIAN
16-03-2013, 09:13 PM

been quite effective, he's top scorer playing by these tactics so i doubt he's complaining. though it is poor entertainment.

Bobby's Cinema
16-03-2013, 10:03 PM
been quite effective, he's top scorer playing by these tactics so i doubt he's complaining. though it is poor entertainment.
I would tend to argue that he's scored his goals in spite of this, which makes it all the more impressive. I think when we get the ball down and pass it, as we did at tannadice recently, and Kilmarnock, we are a better team for it

gegs70
17-03-2013, 06:25 AM
We will possibly see a few players exit in the summer. We will see what goes and what comes in....