PDA

View Full Version : Football Ticket Prices - What is going on?.....

HH81
16-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Just been reading that Leeds are charging £36.00 for their home game v Huddersfield today. The match is on at 12.30 to stop trouble as well.

What kind of a joke price is that for Championship football. I watched a game on sky other night and it was awful.

There was talk at work yesterday by some Leeds fans that they may get under 20,000 at that price.

Black Kyle
16-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Took my lad down there two seasons ago to see Forest - game also early ko and on TV - £35 each. Last season went to Sunderland, Newcastle and Wigan - ticket prices were around £28 for me and £12 for kids.

HH81
16-03-2013, 08:11 AM
It is a joke, i went to watch Huddersfield v Palace for 10 quid a few months ago.

Whats wrong with 20 & 10 at that level. Hibs should be that too for all games.

green&left
16-03-2013, 08:43 AM
It is a joke, i went to watch Huddersfield v Palace for 10 quid a few months ago.

Whats wrong with 20 & 10 at that level. Hibs should be that too for all games.

No 'cos according to some on here a reduced ticket price would mean lower income, resulting in sub-standard players and performances. Infact naw we've had that for the last 5 years anyway... :cb

Mate went to Upton Park last season for the Darlington match and the cheapeast ticket was £46.

Rip-off prices have happened because we've allowed it to happen. Wasn't it Dortmund fans who boycotted because Schalke tried charging them 17,eur last season! Meanwhile in the UK we just moan in pubs and on forums. Slowly seems to be an anti-modern-football movement happening though.

marinello59
16-03-2013, 08:49 AM
No 'cos according to some on here a reduced ticket price would mean lower income, resulting in sub-standard players and performances. Infact naw we've had that for the last 5 years anyway... :cb

Mate went to Upton Park last season for the Darlington match and the cheapeast ticket was £46.

Rip-off prices have happened because we've allowed it to happen. Wasn't it Dortmund fans who boycotted because Schalke tried charging them 17,eur last season! Meanwhile in the UK we just moan in pubs and on forums. Slowly seems to be an anti-modern-football movement happening though.

How often do we see fans demanding that the board pay players what they want? We can't have it all ways. Cheaper ticket prices will mean an even poorer product on the park than we have now.

green&left
16-03-2013, 09:00 AM
How often do we see fans demanding that the board pay players what they want? We can't have it all ways. Cheaper ticket prices will mean an even poorer product on the park than we have now.

Hmmm it's a tricky one. Our turnover will be easily double Motherwell's, Ross County, ICT etc and they seem to be managing just fine. Maybe more wise with cash due to lower income instead of throwing cash at duds like Robertson, Deegan, Kuqi, Done etc.

Talking to Maribor fans across there a few years back, they turn over 1,000,000,eur yet took the piss in every department (or near enough). So money doesn't always appear to mean better players/performances...

pontius pilate
16-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm not of the mind that by charging more you get a better product on the park. As Scott B said already we have had push for the last 5 years whilst charging what we have for tickets. Why not lower prices for a season for two reasons.

1, determine wether the footfall would increase so therefore covering some loses by having higher attendances.

2, If as some suggest lower prices = worse quality maybe just maybe we bring through the youth in Harris,Stanton,Caldwell Etc and get rid if the Dones,Kujabi's Etc and replace what we can with better quality on 2-3 key areas to bring on the youngsters.
Just my thoughts of course

LancashireHibby
16-03-2013, 10:12 AM
It's £33.50 at Ipswich today for Bolton fans so I'm going to TNS vs Bangor City instead. As you do.

Cheapest tickets at the Reebok vary by category, but lowest category games are £22 and the most expensive £28, which is lower tier behind the goal and actually the same as was charged in the Premier League.

Sylar
16-03-2013, 10:19 AM

How do you know the proportion of people being driven away by exorbitant prices wouldn't be tempted to go more regularly if the prices were in the realms of affordability, thus offsetting the reduced income from higher ticket prices?

Ell_Chrisso
16-03-2013, 10:40 AM
A couple of seasons ago I went to Stamford Bridge fot the champions league to see Chelsea take on Porto, and had main stand tickets for £23. The week after I was paying £26 to see Hibs in a league match...

SmashinGlass
16-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Just been reading that Leeds are charging £36.00 for their home game v Huddersfield today. The match is on at 12.30 to stop trouble as well.

What kind of a joke price is that for Championship football. I watched a game on sky other night and it was awful.

There was talk at work yesterday by some Leeds fans that they may get under 20,000 at that price.

In a nutshell, what is going on is that money has ruined the game. Football is no longer a sport, but a global capitalist corporation. It is no longer a sport dedicated to fairness and played out for the entertainment of the fans. The increase in wealthy investors looking to play real life football manager has had a significant negative impact on the sport as a fan's spectacle. In my view, the game as we used to know it is gone. It's an incredibly sad state of affairs, as the legacy for our children in terms of the sport is bleak, very bleak indeed.

Incidentally, I am normally a very positive person :greengrin

hibsbollah
16-03-2013, 11:03 AM
How do you know the proportion of people being driven away by exorbitant prices wouldn't be tempted to go more regularly if the prices were in the realms of affordability, thus offsetting the reduced income from higher ticket prices?

Exactly :agree:

The 'Keep prices high' argument relies on the dodgy premise that when its been tried before (at Motherwell or Blackburn for example), we havent seen an immediate upturn in attendances the following weeks. Unfortunately it doesnt work like that. Its a gradual thing, like any consumer decision.

marinello59
16-03-2013, 11:10 AM

How big a discount do you think would be required to make a significant difference in attendance. (And it will need to be a massive increase to pay for itself.)

Sylar
16-03-2013, 11:24 AM
How big a discount do you think would be required to make a significant difference in attendance. (And it will need to be a massive increase to pay for itself.)

I'll answer your question if you'll answer mine?

marinello59
16-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I'll answer your question if you'll answer mine?

Previous experience suggests price cutting may make a small difference for a short period of time but in the long term it fails. And once prices have been cut it is very hard to persuade people to pay more if they are then put back to their true level. In my ever so humble opinion the over riding thing in increasing attendance is success on the park. I am not convinced that price is the major reason why large numbers of people are staying away. Quality, kick off times and so many televised games all play a bigger part.

Sylar
16-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Previous experience suggests price cutting may make a small difference for a short period of time but in the long term it fails. And once prices have been cut it is very hard to persuade people to pay more if they are then put back to their true level. In my ever so humble opinion the over riding thing in increasing attendance is success on the park. I am not convinced that price is the major reason why large numbers of people are staying away. Quality, kick off times and so many televised games all play a bigger part.

The pricing is a very valid question but there's no getting away from the fact that there is a balance between declining crowds and cost, particularly in light of the current economic situation. People simply can't afford to stump up for some of the PATG prices on a weekly basis and certainly would struggle with the lump sum cost of a ST. I know Hibs (and many other clubs) have taken strides to address this by offering a monthly subscription for the ST.

I don't know where the balance would be for reducing cost enough to entice people which would balance the losses from reduced ticket prices. It would be mathematically possible to calculate it but it's Saturday :) Do the club break even or run at a profit with their current income from tickets?

bingo70
16-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Imo walk up prices are what they need to be to cover costs but there should be a far bigger saving for getting a season ticket

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I believe it was about £60 for away fans at Stamford Bridge when The Hammers last visited there, ouch!!

Miguel
16-03-2013, 01:42 PM
I go to Old Trafford a couple of times a season with one of my sons. For me, over last five seasons, tickets for me have ranged from £38 to £50, and for him from £10-15. Just for information and comparison really.

lucky
16-03-2013, 01:49 PM
The argument is that football at every level is too exspensive. Clubs should not be reducing prices as a trial but because its overpriced. If Scottish football does not change it will die. I've bought my ST again for next season but £405 is a joke. £10 a game is more realistic

eastterrace
16-03-2013, 04:19 PM
The argument is that football at every level is too exspensive. Clubs should not be reducing prices as a trial but because its overpriced. If Scottish football does not change it will die. I've bought my ST again for next season but £405 is a joke. £10 a game is more realistic
how was your season ticket that price when i paid £380 .:confused:

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2013, 05:02 PM
how was your season ticket that price when i paid £380 .:confused:

Mine was £380 + £25 Cup top up = £405

Hermit Crab
16-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Cost me £20 to get in to Starks park today. Albeit that was me and my step daughter and it was the parent and child gate. I thought that was reasonable.

West hamBERNIAN
16-03-2013, 05:58 PM
the 1st west ham game i attended was at home to tottenham a couple of years ago when they ended up being relegated, £80 ticket. won 1 nil though :greengrin

marinello59
16-03-2013, 05:59 PM

Really?

Steve-O
17-03-2013, 07:33 AM
To put it in some perspective, my season ticket for the A-League was $175 (NZD) for 13 games.

A Hibs ticket in the SPL costs just shy of $700 NZD for 18/19 games.

There is no danger that the standard is THAT much different, if any different at all in general.

The main sport here also, rugby union, is about $200 NZD for a season ticket, or around $30 NZD for a walk up ticket - that's just under 17 quid. And that's for Super Rugby, i.e. the highest standard of 'domestic' rugby (NZ / South Africa / Aussie teams in it).

Additionally, wages and cost of living are higher here than in the UK, so it's even cheaper relatively speaking.

Football prices in Scotland and the UK are seriously out of kilter with reality IMO.

Thecat23
17-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Germany have got it right. Cheap prices and the crowds are decent. Scotland must drop prices of games in future because its far to pricey. Folk saying the standard of player will drop with lower prices are talking crap. Look at the standard just now! The poorest in years and its the dearest we have ever had. The way forward is max £15 adults £10 or five for kids depending the category of the game. Until then crowds will continue to drop mark my words.

Thecat23
17-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Really?

I would say so, why do you think £10 isn't out of interest? Not having a go just wondering why some people don't think cheaper pricing would benifit clubs!

bingo70
17-03-2013, 08:08 AM
I would say so, why do you think £10 isn't out of interest? Not having a go just wondering why some people don't think cheaper pricing would benifit clubs!

Roughly speaking to generate the same income as we currently do but charge a tenner our crowds would have to more than double and our stadium isn't big enough for that.

Tenner isn't a realistic price for football if.we are to try and attract decent players, twenty quid is a more realistic target.

Steve-O
17-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Germany have got it right. Cheap prices and the crowds are decent. Scotland must drop prices of games in future because its far to pricey. Folk saying the standard of player will drop with lower prices are talking crap. Look at the standard just now! The poorest in years and its the dearest we have ever had. The way forward is max £15 adults £10 or five for kids depending the category of the game. Until then crowds will continue to drop mark my words.

Exactly - where are the dross in the SPL now going to go exactly if wages drop?? League 2 or something? Good luck to them if that's the case.

The public need to get engaged again and high ticket prices for watching pish is not the way to do it. Everything is the wrong way round. Keeping prices high so we can pay 'quality players'? Give me a break.

adhibs
17-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Football is expensive but it's not the only thing. Compare it to going to a club with a decent line up on and you can easily pay 20 to get in. Same with bands your reguarly paying 20-30 and even double that at times. It seems a bit better when looking at it that way

Thecat23
17-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Roughly speaking to generate the same income as we currently do but charge a tenner our crowds would have to more than double and our stadium isn't big enough for that.

Tenner isn't a realistic price for football if.we are to try and attract decent players, twenty quid is a more realistic target.

£20 isn't over the top but that's still to pricey if you ask me. I don't believe in this "better" standard of player either mate. If all clubs reduced the pricing to £10 in Scotland we would all be in the same boat. It would defo bring in loads more walk up fans. Even £15 max. The players we are attracting aren't great anyway so I fail to see what dropping the price will do. Bigger crowds, better atmosphere! Football is dying all over the UK because of it being to dear. Something has to change and soon.

Steve-O
17-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Football is expensive but it's not the only thing. Compare it to going to a club with a decent line up on and you can easily pay 20 to get in. Same with bands your reguarly paying 20-30 and even double that at times. It seems a bit better when looking at it that way

Yeah but if you went to the same club every week and didn't know what kind of show was going to be put on (i.e. utter guff half the time), what would you do then?

Football cannot be compared to concerts / clubs etc. The chances of you not getting your money's worth is FAR less at a concert or club IMO.

Thecat23
17-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Exactly - where are the dross in the SPL now going to go exactly if wages drop?? League 2 or something? Good luck to them if that's the case.

The public need to get engaged again and high ticket prices for watching pish is not the way to do it. Everything is the wrong way round. Keeping prices high so we can pay 'quality players'? Give me a break.

100% agree, it's time clubs involved fans in what they think is a reasonable pricing structure. Then try work from there. I know many Hibs fans with a couple of kids who just can't afford it. Yet they would defo come if the price was dropped. Lets be honest here football is a game to be enjoyed, to go and watch your team on a sat! Ridiculous prices and poor players are driving the fans away. Sooner clubs see this and address it in the proper manner the better off we all will be.

adhibs
17-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Yeah but if you went to the same club every week and didn't know what kind of show was going to be put on (i.e. utter guff half the time), what would you do then?.

Thats a fair point I suppose. Only time hibs have been that bad ive stopped going was under calderwood. Iv still paid in plenty times knowing my chances of being entertained are slim and will continue to do so. Lile signing up for a season ticket again next year

Hermit Crab
17-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Season 03/04 it was £17 for an adult ticket in the east for a derby. Ten years later its an astonishing £11 more. £28 is shocking for cat A games most of which are live on tv. Hibs are not the only team guilty of high overpriced tickets. We need a cap of say £20 for an adult ticket. £10 for kids/oap.

marinello59
17-03-2013, 09:40 AM
£20 isn't over the top but that's still to pricey if you ask me. I don't believe in this "better" standard of player either mate. If all clubs reduced the pricing to £10 in Scotland we would all be in the same boat. It would defo bring in loads more walk up fans. Even £15 max. The players we are attracting aren't great anyway so I fail to see what dropping the price will do. Bigger crowds, better atmosphere! Football is dying all over the UK because of it being to dear. Something has to change and soon.

If all clubs in Scotland dropped their prices to £10 at the same time then we will all have a poorer standard of player at our clubs. Currently we are competing against the second and third tiers of English football for players. We'd be looking at 4th tier players if we cut income to that extent. How on earth would lowering standards attract fans back even at a tenner a head? And keeping the best young Scottish players in our league will become even harder.
You can't look at pricing in isolation as a cure for all of Scottish footballs problems. It is only a part of what is wrong. Much more radical surgery is required, Summer Football giving us our own niche TV market for instance.

degenerated
17-03-2013, 09:42 AM

You would have to be able to understand the profile of our floating support and how sensitive they are to price before either argument carries any gravitas.
Guys like yourself are the core support and as such you are insensitive to price, in economic terms. It's outside that core group that elasticity of price in relation to demand comes into play and currently we have no idea what reducing prices would mean in relation to attendances. Perhaps hibs would do well to have an economist on the board rather than just accountants :greengrin

bingo70
17-03-2013, 10:22 AM
If all clubs in Scotland dropped their prices to £10 at the same time then we will all have a poorer standard of player at our clubs. Currently we are competing against the second and third tiers of English football for players. We'd be looking at 4th tier players if we cut income to that extent. How on earth would lowering standards attract fans back even at a tenner a head? And keeping the best young Scottish players in our league will become even harder.
You can't look at pricing in isolation as a cure for all of Scottish footballs problems. It is only a part of what is wrong. Much more radical surgery is required, Summer Football giving us our own niche TV market for instance.

Clubs would also have no chance of paying back existing debts with prices at that figure so clubs would be going to the wall left, right and centre.

I think a more realistic target is for a dramatic reduction in st prices so there's a clear financial benefit to getting one, if they were around 250 quid o think significantly more people would sign up

DH1875
17-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Imo walk up prices are what they need to be to cover costs but there should be a far bigger saving for getting a season ticket

:top marks:agree: