PDA

View Full Version : Is Pat being unfair to Griffiths?

Cameron1875
16-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Asking Griffiths to play on his own up top against bruisers of defenders every week must be taking its toll on the lad. I thought he was quite poor tonight but surely his game isn't suited to holding the ball up and bringing others into the game.

Think Paddy missed a trick not signing a decent target man in the summer and/or January. The tactic in the SPL seems to be to hoof it to a big man e.g Daly, Higdon and have the smaller, trickier players play off them e.g. Russell and Ojamma. Kuqi was a shocking signing and i think has stopped us being a top 4 team especially since Doyle isn't cutting it either.

Thoughts?

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2013, 12:20 AM
No

monktonharp
16-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Asking Griffiths to play on his own up top against bruisers of defenders every week must be taking its toll on the lad. I thought he was quite poor tonight but surely his game isn't suited to holding the ball up and bringing others into the game.

Think Paddy missed a trick not signing a decent target man in the summer and/or January. The tactic in the SPL seems to be to hoof it to a big man e.g Daly, Higdon and have the smaller, trickier players play off them e.g. Russell and Ojamma. Kuqi was a shocking signing and i think has stopped us being a top 4 team especially since Doyle isn't cutting it either.

Thoughts?:agree:hoof ball, up to a lonely figure aka Leigh Griffiths. he sometimes turns defenders outside in but cant do it all the time. we should have other options eg target man to lay it off to Leigh the predator.

Wotherspiniesta
16-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Imagine what we could do with him playing beside a target man like Higdon.

Would score more goals and would take pressure off our defence.

Captain Trips
16-03-2013, 12:51 AM
I believe in our 10 SPL wins Doyle played in 9, now I am not suggesting he is difference what I am saying is having A N Other up front also means opposition defence have to look after someone other than Leigh, IMO PF has made an error in changing things.

PISTOL1875
16-03-2013, 11:14 AM
You better believe he is , how can he expect him to challenge for headers when defenders are towering over him so much ? The option of somebody playing off him to link up the midfield and stop him seeming so isolated would be an option..

hibsbollah
16-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Motherwell fans dont seem to like Higdon much though. Often gives away possession, although gets himself in good positions in the box which is why he has a good scoring record. I bet if we signed him he'd be as popular as Colin Nish was.

Griffiths isolation is down to Doyle's form going through the floor and him being dropped into midfield and laterally to the bench. If we had an invigorated Doyle again either in a 442 or out wide in a 451, we'd start getting results like we did at the start of the season again.

Fergus52
16-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Motherwell fans dont seem to like Higdon much though. Often gives away possession, although gets himself in good positions in the box which is why he has a good scoring record. I bet if we signed him he'd be as popular as Colin Nish was.

Griffiths isolation is down to Doyle's form going through the floor and him being dropped into midfield and laterally to the bench. If we had an invigorated Doyle again either in a 442 or out wide, we'd start getting results like we did at the start of the season again.

Good post, pretty much my thoughts too.