PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon

SkintHibby
15-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Nice guy but looks like he's the latest to take Hibs absolutely nowhere at all.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Yer like a pair of curtains man.

chrisski33
15-03-2013, 09:46 PM
knee jerk reaction yaaaaawn!

Springbank
Keen to play a minimum of 12 defensive midfielders and 1 attacker

Wotherspiniesta
You mean apart from Hampden (x3)?

Nah, you're probably right. Lets sack another manager.

Piqué
Be nice its his birthday

AberdreamHibee
15-03-2013, 09:48 PM
This hibs team would have beaten last seasons 3-0 still...

Up The Bracket
15-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Aye great idea! Lets sack a manager who changed our team from a relegation candidate to a team chasing top 6.

We were completely ***** tonight and I'm extremely pissed off but why on earth should we sack the manager? We played worse against St Johnstone, we were lucky St Johnstone are ***** that is was only 3-1. How they are 5th is a mystery. A ***** performance against a good team and we'll get hammered.

East Coast Hibe
15-03-2013, 09:50 PM
1 win in 10 is simply not good enough. No plan B - one man up front even when we are 2 goals behind. I'm afraid he is a damage limitation manager and he is out od his depth

* edited to say that I'm not suggesting that he is sacked !!

Captain Trips
15-03-2013, 09:51 PM
This hibs team would have beaten last seasons 3-0 still...

Probably would but not with Pat managing it I think.

Wotherspiniesta
15-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Probably would but not with Pat managing it I think.

:fenlon

Springbank
15-03-2013, 09:54 PM

Fergus52
15-03-2013, 09:55 PM

:rolleyes:

:taxi

Hibercelona
15-03-2013, 09:55 PM

I don't think the referee would allow this to be honest.

Purehibee_MYB
15-03-2013, 09:59 PM

Hampden for two consecutive seasons

A team battling for top 6

A team that ordinarily has a bit of dig

I'm sorry but it can't be a quick fix from where we where 2 seasons ago, Paddy is doing a decent job and sacking him is only going to disrupt the continuity that we have been lacking for far too long now.

SkintHibby
15-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Not asking for the guy to be sacked but not expecting anything under him other than the mostly rubbish I've seen for the last umpteen years.

Maybe I'm asking too much for Hibs to rise above the mediocre.

Northernhibee
15-03-2013, 10:05 PM
This thread is utterly bonkers. I'm as pissed off with the result as anybody, but this is just beyond belief really.

Skinthibby is just the newest poster to take the analysis of PF nowhere.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2013, 10:10 PM
The trouble .... if you can call it that .... with Pat Fenlon's Hibs is that they are mediocre. They every now and again pull off good results in the manner of the 1 - 0 cup win over the Yams or the 1 - 0 win against celtic.

But overall they seem incapable of a consistent run of good form. We can point to two rank awful decisions over the last few games that have cost us 4 points .... but on the other hand you can look at some shocking results against Motherwell, Aberdeen and ICT at ER which have cost us more points than that.

Every team in the SPL outside of celtic is utterly skint and as the only reasonably solvent club in the league outside of them we should be ideally placed to take advantage, but for some reason we just cant .... we currently trail Ross County by 5 points and they have a game in hand. No offense to them ..... but is that acceptable?

I just dont know any more :bitchy:

Bobo
15-03-2013, 10:14 PM

I'm sorry but it can't be a quick fix from where we where 2 seasons ago, Paddy is doing a decent job and sacking him is only going to disrupt the continuity that we have been lacking for far too long now.

That's where the problem lies, Hibs should comfortably finish in the top six in this piss poor SPL, no excuse, that is the bare minimum.

Perpetual underachievement has been too readily accepted for far too long!

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Worse league record than Mixu whom we emptied for not being good enough!

sesoim
15-03-2013, 10:20 PM
knee jerk reaction yaaaaawn!

Our run of 3 wins in 18 Leagu games started a few months ago. When are we meant to start taking notice?

Purehibee_MYB
15-03-2013, 10:22 PM
That's where the problem lies, Hibs should comfortably finish in the top six in this piss poor SPL, no excuse, that is the bare minimum.

I'm not saying that Hibs shouldn't be higher, but what I am saying is that it's not a quick fix and saying there is no improvement like the OP has said, isn't true. We can't honestly expect to go from a team finishing 11th to a team finishing 3rd or 4th in one season.

Peevemor

Was he emptied? Where did you read that?

lucky
This season is being to mirror last. Poor league form but saved by a cup run. But let's be fair if he wins the cup he is a god

R'Albin
15-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I often wonder how folk on here respond when something genuinely bad happens in their life. Calling for the manager's head after a loss to the 2nd best team in Scotland, seriously?

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Was he emptied? Where did you read that?
So the Hibs board wanted to keep him, right you are. So what happened then?

Golden Bear
15-03-2013, 10:25 PM
This season is being to mirror last. Poor league form but saved by a cup run. But let's be fair if he wins the cup he is a god

I wonder if Fenlon's tactics will be any different against Falkirk? I wouldn't bet on it.

Peevemor
15-03-2013, 10:25 PM
So the Hibs board wanted to keep him, right you are. So what happened then?

I don't know. Do you?

Gus Fring
15-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Give the guy his jotters! He deserves them. There's been no improvement on last season at all. We're fighting relegation, we're out of the Scottish Cup and Hearts have beaten us every time we've played them this season. We've no even had a good performance against Celtic FFS.

So aye, sack pat and give him his pay off and use up some of that spare money we've got lying about and get in another manager. A good one like Colin Calderwood maybe? Or how about an ex player? They always do really well.

Whilst we're at it, why don't we tear down the east? It's never full so what's the point in having it?

East mains is clearly a waste of money as well, we've no had any promising young players for years.

Or wait.

Why don't we just stick by Pat cause the exact opposite of the above is true and he's the best manager we've had in the last few years?

rcarter1
15-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I think we are mostly on the same page here. We all know we are limited. We have no plan B, because we start off with plan B (ie lump it to Griffiths and hope that 90 minutes of poor possession wont lead to the inevitable). Pat probably knows this. He has a summer now to go back and use his experience of this season to get some people good enough to compete with the Highland league double act, Perths finest, and tonights runaway winners. How he does this Ive not a scooby, but Im willing to give him the chance for at least another season or two. We will however have made progress from last year, and that for now is good enough for me. If we make a Final, then it will be an oportunity to end on a real high (or low..)

Purehibee_MYB
15-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Give the guy his jotters! He deserves them. There's been no improvement on last season at all. We're fighting relegation, we're out of the Scottish Cup and Hearts have beaten us every time we've played them this season. We've no even had a good performance against Celtic FFS.

So aye, sack pat and give him his pay off and use up some of that spare money we've got lying about and get in another manager. A good one like Colin Calderwood maybe? Or how about an ex player? They always do really well.

Whilst we're at it, why don't we tear down the east? It's never full so what's the point in having it?

East mains is clearly a waste of money as well, we've no had any promising young players for years.

Or wait.

Why don't we just stick by Pat cause the exact opposite of the above is true and he's the best manager we've had in the last few years?

Totally agree.

Was worried I was outnumbered for a bit just then!

#FromTheCapital
Fenlon out SkintHibby in

Kaff

Agree with this.

I have said, and still believe, that PF is learning too. We are improving, albeit slowly, and if we can win the semifinal then i think the club will get another lift. Its not in the Mowbray speed of improvement but hopefully as we keep improving (and PF keeps learning) then with the right platform in place we're set for a good period of strength within the league.

I have felt for a while that the main difference between TM and PF's teams are the fullbacks. With TM he had arguably our two best attcking players there, whereas PF is definitely more concerned with stopping the opposition. I did support Maybury signing because i thought he would be a good professional and i still believe that

sesoim
15-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Aye great idea! Lets sack a manager who changed our team from a relegation candidate to a team chasing top 6.

We were completely ***** tonight and I'm extremely pissed off but why on earth should we sack the manager? We played worse against St Johnstone, we were lucky St Johnstone are ***** that is was only 3-1. How they are 5th is a mystery. A ***** performance against a good team and we'll get hammered.

I think the fact that Rangers aren't in the League, Hearts have lost most of their players, and most of the other SPL teams have had to cut their budget might have helped. Oh, and the fact that Fenlon has been able to sign 14 or 15 players and spend more on wages than every almost every other SPL team.

We've won 3 in 18, and if we keep that form going we will finish pretty close to 11th again, so unless we pick up soon, I don't see why Fenlon deserves to keep his job (barring, of course, a miracle in the Cup).

If Griffiths hadn't stayed this season, we'd be battling it out with Dundee at the bottom at the moment.

rcarter1
15-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Agree with this.

I have said, and still believe, that PF is learning too. We are improving, albeit slowly, and if we can win the semifinal then i think the club will get another lift. Its not in the Mowbray speed of improvement but hopefully as we keep improving (and PF keeps learning) then with the right platform in place we're set for a good period of strength within the league.

I have felt for a while that the main difference between TM and PF's teams are the fullbacks. With TM he had arguably our two best attcking players there, whereas PF is definitely more concerned with stopping the opposition. I did support Maybury signing because i thought he would be a good professional and i still believe that

Agree with all of this, particularly about PF is learning. He has made a step up, operating with a difficult signing policy compared to what he was used to and he has few connections to the type of player we really need. For what it is worth, I think Mowbray was one our luckiest ever managers. He was the right kind of guy at just the right time to exploit our youth players - albeit bringing in D. Murphy was top drawer. If Mowbray had been brought in when Pat Fenlon was, how would we be doing I wonder?

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-03-2013, 10:34 PM
I don't know. Do you?
Yes, he got emptied for not being good enough.

Mikey_1875
15-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Sacking fenlon would be a disaster, , we are best weve been in two seasons sad reality but re

Emerald
15-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Agree with this.

There is no comparison between the Mowbray team and this side. Different circumstances have a lot to do with it but TM tried to play quick attacking football with plenty movement. Pat Fenlon tries to strangle games and get a sneaky goal, mostly from Griffiths creating it on his own. We are so far away from the TM philosophy its not true.

Fife-Hibee
15-03-2013, 10:40 PM
The trouble .... if you can call it that .... with Pat Fenlon's Hibs is that they are mediocre. They every now and again pull off good results in the manner of the 1 - 0 cup win over the Yams or the 1 - 0 win against celtic.

But overall they seem incapable of a consistent run of good form. We can point to two rank awful decisions over the last few games that have cost us 4 points .... but on the other hand you can look at some shocking results against Motherwell, Aberdeen and ICT at ER which have cost us more points than that.

Every team in the SPL outside of celtic is utterly skint and as the only reasonably solvent club in the league outside of them we should be ideally placed to take advantage, but for some reason we just cant .... we currently trail Ross County by 5 points and they have a game in hand. No offense to them ..... but is that acceptable?

I just dont know any more :bitchy:

Spot on !

Purehibee_MYB
15-03-2013, 10:40 PM
I think the fact that Rangers aren't in the League, Hearts have lost most of their players, and most of the other SPL teams have had to cut their budget might have helped. Oh, and the fact that Fenlon has been able to sign 14 or 15 players and spend more on wages than every almost every other SPL team.

We've won 3 in 18, and if we keep that form going we will finish pretty close to 11th again, so unless we pick up soon, I don't see why Fenlon deserves to keep his job (barring, of course, a miracle in the Cup).

If Griffiths hadn't stayed this season, we'd be battling it out with Dundee at the bottom at the moment.

We can make all those arguments but ultimately, we are in a much better position than last season, even if it is because of circumstances around us. That said, you watch Hibs this season compared to last and there is at the very least improvement in performance, even if it is dull football. We have 4 points out of 6 against celtic compared to 0 last season. We were terrible in derbies and now we are getting a foothold once again. Yes there are bad performances this season and we are terribly inconsistent but the performances are there to show improvement, slowly but surely.

Kaff
15-03-2013, 10:48 PM
There is no comparison between the Mowbray team and this side. Different circumstances have a lot to do with it but TM tried to play quick attacking football with plenty movement. Pat Fenlon tries to strangle games and get a sneaky goal, mostly from Griffiths creating it on his own. We are so far away from the TM philosophy its not true.

Don't make out i'm saying PF's team style is 'similar' to TM's. I'm saying the 'main difference' is the fullbacks, you say PF strangles the game whereas i said he tries to cancel out the opposition first.

Bobo
15-03-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm not saying that Hibs shouldn't be higher, but what I am saying is that it's not a quick fix and saying there is no improvement like the OP has said, isn't true. We can't honestly expect to go from a team finishing 11th to a team finishing 3rd or 4th in one season.

Ross County have never been in the SPL before and they seem to have managed it so last seasons' league position has nothing to do with it IMO.

Facts are the league table doesn't lie and will show us, yet again, as one of the poorer teams in one of the poorest leagues in Europe.

Emerald
15-03-2013, 10:51 PM
We can make all those arguments but ultimately, we are in a much better position than last season, even if it is because of circumstances around us. That said, you watch Hibs this season compared to last and there is at the very least improvement in performance, even if it is dull football. We have 4 points out of 6 against celtic compared to 0 last season. We were terrible in derbies and now we are getting a foothold once again. Yes there are bad performances this season and we are terribly inconsistent but the performances are there to show improvement, slowly but surely.

Well done for being positive, really. I wish I was 21 again and had all that hope for the future. All I can see is pish performances but I'm maybe too old and biased. I'm wanting to see my team, a team the size of Hibs, in one of the worst Scottish top divisions ever to perform at their level. How many players does Pat need to sign before some of the blame lies at his door?

Emerald
15-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Don't make out i'm saying PF's team style is 'similar' to TM's. I'm saying the 'main difference' is the fullbacks, you say PF strangles the game whereas i said he tries to cancel out the opposition first.

You said the main difference was the full backs, I'm not having a go but for what ever reason the main difference was not just the full backs. I wish we had the full backs from then though. :aok:

Kato
15-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Why do people get embroiled in threads started and populated by clowns?

Just LTYFs.

Purehibee_MYB
15-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Well done for being positive, really. I wish I was 21 again and had all that hope for the future. All I can see is pish performances but I'm maybe too old and biased. I'm wanting to see my team, a team the size of Hibs, in one of the worst Scottish top divisions ever to perform at their level. How many players does Pat need to sign before some of the blame lies at his door?

I would say by the end of next season, if the quality and position are still the same then we should start considering a new manager, but as I say its a gradual rebuilding process. Not easy to convince good players to play for a team who were 11th and 10th in the SPL for the past two seasons, but now he has been here for a while he might be able to convince them. Time will tell I guess and I hope he gets the time.

Kaff
15-03-2013, 11:01 PM
You said the main difference was the full backs, I'm not having a go but for what ever reason the main difference was not just the full backs. I wish we had the full backs from then though. :aok:

Yes there's no point us having a go, i think i agree with you though. in my mind the fullbacks forward movement was key to what you said about our style under TM.

SW was, for all his defensive frailties, my favourite player of that time. DM was probably better all round but i loved the way SW could glide past opponents with the ball:top marks

Emerald
15-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Yes there's no point us having a go, i think i agree with you though. in my mind the fullbacks forward movement was key to what you said about our style under TM.

SW was, for all his defensive frailties, my favourite player of that time. DM was probably better all round but i loved the way SW could glide past opponents with the ball:top marks

Agree, we can dream of seeing the likes again. :thumbsup:

Heisenberg
16-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Before tonight we had won 10, drawn 10 and lost 10. We had conceded the same as we'd scored. This shows just how average we have been this season. At times we've been good and at times we've played like we did tonight, to suggest that Fenlon should get the sack after improving the team is ridiculous. We're certainly nothing special and bottom six again will be disappointing, if we're still in this position in a years time then fair play paddy should go but at the minute ill still very much be backing him.

Gatecrasher
16-03-2013, 12:21 AM
says this guy 3 weeks before a semi final :coffee:

SteveHFC
16-03-2013, 12:22 AM
says this guy 3 weeks before a semi final :coffee:

Well 4 weeks :wink:

Gatecrasher
16-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Well 4 weeks :wink:
I couldn't be arsed counting to be honest :greengrin

Captain Trips
16-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Before tonight we had won 10, drawn 10 and lost 10. We had conceded the same as we'd scored. This shows just how average we have been this season. At times we've been good and at times we've played like we did tonight, to suggest that Fenlon should get the sack after improving the team is ridiculous. We're certainly nothing special and bottom six again will be disappointing, if we're still in this position in a years time then fair play paddy should go but at the minute ill still very much be backing him.

Yes the stats there do show how average we have been, you not think its a concern that 7 of the wins occured in first 15 games which was pretty decent form tbh now 15 games beyond that we have slipped to only 3 wins in 2nd half of season. Something appears to be going wrong again and if we are to be happy and rightfully so at progress early on there now rightfully should be concern that over an also fair period of time we have been poor.

MWHIBBIES
16-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Pathetic, ignorant thread

Emerald
16-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Yes the stats there do show how average we have been, you not think its a concern that 7 of the wins occured in first 15 games which was pretty decent form tbh now 15 games beyond that we have slipped to only 3 wins in 2nd half of season. Something appears to be going wrong again and if we are to be happy and rightfully so at progress early on there now rightfully should be concern that over an also fair period of time we have been poor.

I've been concerned for a while, I watch them every week after all. But, you are NOT allowed to question the progress under Pat, don't you know that? I'm not a fan of his tactics and style of play and I don't know where we're headed, He would become a hero if we lift the SC, and rightly so but I don't wan't this type of football to continue much longer. I've nothing against the man but he needs to get Hibs playing to the level our club deserves. He has had time and changed an entire team, so no more excuses.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2013, 02:06 AM

Sums it up perfectly for me. Bearing in mind OldCo arnae there it means there's basically an extra place available in the top 6 that wouldnae normally be there, but, we are still likely to fall short.

greenlex
16-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Most of the pathetic ****wits are nowhere to be seen until a reverse result then the usual suspects appear like flies round *****.

Pete
16-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Just mince. Where are these people when we win?

JMac
16-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Managers always deserve, some more than others, Fenlon inherited a terrible terrible team so needs a minimum of 3 seasons to turn it around, next season if we're not in the top 6 (or top 8 depending on the league structure) then yes perhaps get rid of fenlon, but he's done well so far, 3 hamden trips in 1 and a half years is good for me

Alfred E Newman
16-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Managers always deserve, some more than others, Fenlon inherited a terrible terrible team so needs a minimum of 3 seasons to turn it around, next season if we're not in the top 6 (or top 8 depending on the league structure) then yes perhaps get rid of fenlon, but he's done well so far, 3 hamden trips in 1 and a half years is good for me
Fenlon has improved the side. If you think back to what he inherited he has done well. We might be struggling in the league but we have beaten three SPL teams to reach the semi, and who knows we still have a chance of ending the cup drought. Fenlons big test is next season. He is gradually trying to improve the squad and the appearance o9t5f Harris and Handling is encouraging . Liam Craig will improve the midfield and hopefully Thomson may be here next season as well. I doubt Griffiths will be here and replacing him will be difficult. If results and performances are similar and we are still persisting with the same defensive stuff next season then Fenlon will find it difficult to survive.

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2013, 08:09 AM

When Mixu came in, where did his team finish the season before? You should be booked for being daft. :rolleyes:

Gala Foxes
16-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Just listened to Fenlon's post match interview on the BBC website, he was totally honest in his assessment that Hibs were not good enough last night and that Motherwell worked harder throughout the game.

It was clear from the way he was talking that he was hurting from the result and that he has much work to do.

There still needs to be major rebuilding in the Summer, to probably (sadly) replace McGivern + Griffiths and also replace the likes of Done, who it doesn't look to date like he is likely to win a longer contract. Its clear as well that we need inventive midfielders that will go forward positively (and hopefully quicker pace than at present) with the ball and create opportunities - Harris is doing that just now as would a fit Cairney

I am getting tired of Hibs midfielders taking a pass, stopping, going backwards and then turning to face the opposition after they have had plenty time to regroup - it is getting boring & predictable, thats why Harris is such a breath of fresh air with his willingness to get the ball down and push forward

J-C
16-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Mediocrity has been suggested and I'd kinda agree with that. Pat stopped the rot to a certain extent but due to the severe lack of cash, we are still digging around the dregs of mediocrity when it comes to players.

Young lads like Harris and Handling are champing at the door and need to be given time on the field, players like Done offer very little and should be off the wage bill, we have Craig coming in the summer.

I also think Pat's scared to open the team up and allow them some freedom to play, continually playing with 2 DM's in a 4-5-1 formation, particularly at home is not good enough. early in the season we played 2 up front and we sat 2nd in the league, suddenly we've went all negative and it seems to show in our performances and results.

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2013, 08:32 AM
I think Fenlon has been very unlucky this season, he's NEVER had a settled back 4, and having to constantly play Maybury AND Stevenson at the same time has been something none of us would have seen.

These players are squad players, most people know this, and both should be filling in every now and again, not both playing every week at the same time.

McPake out for ages, now Hanlon too has been a big part in how we have had to set the team up.

We all cried out for mediocrity last season and thats what we have now, with a very good chance of making another final.

I think we would all agree Motherwell are the 2nd best team in this league, and they showed us that last night. Most of their players would walk into our team, but its a team we have beaten this season, and with the right additions in maybe 3 places, we'd compete better with them.

We are not that far away, but we are mediocre but have progressed. Fenlon is already planning for next season, and i cant believe we have folk wanting rid?

There have been enough signs this season to say to me we are on the right track, maybe not quick enough for some, but lets not sack another manager please.

Just_Jimmy
16-03-2013, 08:42 AM
People mentioned murphy and whittaker earlier in this thread. I remember talking to a coach around that time, of the now defunct rangers, who said everyone in the league hated playing that hibs team due to the fullbacks. Basically the success bombing forward was in a huge part down to how willing murphy and whittaker were willing to press. They played huge rolls in the attacking side of the game.

This team has absolutely piss poor fullbacks in maybury and stevenson. Sure lewis is a team first guy buy hes never a top left back in a million years ad maybury is absolutely ****.

Its no coincidence that we were better when we had clancy and mcgivern at fullback with mcpake and hanlon in the middle. However neither of these guys are murphy or whittaker. We also miss browns industry in midfield. We have a boozy in claros in terms of composure and being able to pick a pass but we have no real drive.

I like fenlon and I do not want him sacked but he's just so negative. 1 striker at home is criminal.

Beefster
16-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry but it can't be a quick fix from where we where 2 seasons ago

Two seasons ago, Ross County finished 8th in the First Division. We finished 10th in the SPL. They're now 5 points ahead of us with a game in hand and practically guaranteed top six football post-split. Our average attendance is about 2.5 times theirs and their squad includes several players deemed not good enough for us.

But aye, suitable improvement can't be done in as little as two seasons.

Golden Bear
16-03-2013, 08:54 AM
I think Fenlon has been very unlucky this season, he's NEVER had a settled back 4, and having to constantly play Maybury AND Stevenson at the same time has been something none of us would have seen.

These players are squad players, most people know this, and both should be filling in every now and again, not both playing every week at the same time.

McPake out for ages, now Hanlon too has been a big part in how we have had to set the team up.

We all cried out for mediocrity last season and thats what we have now, with a very good chance of making another final.

I think we would all agree Motherwell are the 2nd best team in this league, and they showed us that last night. Most of their players would walk into our team, but its a team we have beaten this season, and with the right additions in maybe 3 places, we'd compete better with them.

We are not that far away, but we are mediocre but have progressed. Fenlon is already planning for next season, and i cant believe we have folk wanting rid?

There have been enough signs this season to say to me we are on the right track, maybe not quick enough for some, but lets not sack another manager please.

That may be so Blackpool but every team will have suffered from their fair share of injuries and suspensions. I also agree that we're not in a position to get rid of Fenlon but that's only because finances won't allow it so we'll have to endure distinct mediocrity and the tedium of his tactics for a considerable time yet I'm afraid.

Let's just say I remain to be convinced that Fenlon will turn out to be a good Manager.

marinello59
16-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Two seasons ago, Ross County finished 8th in the First Division. We finished 10th in the SPL. They're now 5 points ahead of us with a game in hand and practically guaranteed top six football post-split. Our average attendance is about 2.5 times theirs and their squad includes several players deemed not good enough for us.

But aye, suitable improvement can't be done in as little as two seasons.

:top marks
Pat Fenlon did have a major rebuilding job on his hands but it was no larger a task then that faced every year by the promoted team. I am sick to death of being in a transitional phase season after season.

green&left
16-03-2013, 09:07 AM

You kidding? A deflected fluke is deemed getting a foothold? Bear in mind this is one of the worst Hearts sides in seasons.

Bar Celtic home and away, Aberdeen at home when we lost one nil, Dundee Utd then Killie away in recent weeks from the top of my head, we've been *** dreadful.

His tactics are pish. Style of football even worse and signings extremely debatable. Luckily for Pat the Cup run has helped paper over the cracks.

Hard to be overly bothered about our results/performances because I've seen it coming for months.

Hibby 2005
16-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Fenlon has steadied the ship slightly but he has often shown poor tactical awareness alongside the lack of adventurous playing style. Yes, we may get to another Cup Final but the true worth of any decent Manager is form in the league and for me the jury is still very much out. Next season may see us improve further if Fenlon can lose some of his negativity and put more faith in the young talent waiting in the wings. It'll be interesting, for instance, to see if Harris will be given a free reign by Fenlon to showcase his obvious talent.

Alfred E Newman
16-03-2013, 10:01 AM
People mentioned murphy and whittaker earlier in this thread. I remember talking to a coach around that time, of the now defunct rangers, who said everyone in the league hated playing that hibs team due to the fullbacks. Basically the success bombing forward was in a huge part down to how willing murphy and whittaker were willing to press. They played huge rolls in the attacking side of the game.

This team has absolutely piss poor fullbacks in maybury and stevenson. Sure lewis is a team first guy buy hes never a top left back in a million years ad maybury is absolutely ****.

Its no coincidence that we were better when we had clancy and mcgivern at fullback with mcpake and hanlon in the middle. However neither of these guys are murphy or whittaker. We also miss browns industry in midfield. We have a boozy in claros in terms of composure and being able to pick a pass but we have no real drive.

I like fenlon and I do not want him sacked but he's just so negative. 1 striker at home is criminal.

It is wrong to critisise Maybury and Stevenson. They are not our 1st choice full backs, Clancy and McGivern are. Last night they both struggled against a team that plays with width and an in form McFadden but they were not alone.

Purehibee_MYB
16-03-2013, 10:40 AM
You kidding? A deflected fluke is deemed getting a foothold? Bear in mind this is one of the worst Hearts sides in seasons.

Bar Celtic home and away, Aberdeen at home when we lost one nil, Dundee Utd then Killie away in recent weeks from the top of my head, we've been *** dreadful.

His tactics are pish. Style of football even worse and signings extremely debatable. Luckily for Pat the Cup run has helped paper over the cracks.

Hard to be overly bothered about our results/performances because I've seen it coming for months.

It's better than being humped 5-1, or even losing.

But you're right yeah we can't be happy with the football and Fenlon should go, we'll get in, hmm let me think, well Rafa Benitez is out of a job at the end of the season, how about him with our fantastic budget we will be unstoppable.

Tyler Durden
16-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Fenlon is just far too negative.

His comments after the derby summed him up. Happy to remain unbeaten which is obvious but where was the urgency to win the game? Watching the derby coverage afterwards, Mixu offered an objective analysis which highlighted how poor/negative our midfield were. 3 centre midfielders who are all most effective when opposition have the ball.

Of course we're harder to beat when we basically swamp midfield with the most negative full backs I can remember in 20+ years.

But progress? We were about 8th when he took over..........not stranded at the bottom as some would have you believe. We'll now likely finish about 8th and hang our hopes on battling for 2 SC wins. We'll struggle to win many fans back with this brand of football, which is the worst thing for me.

BoltonHibee
16-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Pat Fenlon did have a major rebuilding job on his hands but it was no larger a task then that faced every year by the promoted team. I am sick to death of being in a transitional phase season after season.

We are always going to be in a "transitional phase" that's Scottish football now, get used to it. With 1 and 2 year contracts the norm it can't be anything else

marinello59
16-03-2013, 10:58 AM
We are always going to be in a "transitional phase" that's Scottish football now, get used to it. With 1 and 2 year contracts the norm it can't be anything else

Agreed. So perhaps time we stopped using it as an excuse.

Last Minute
16-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Fenlon has steadied the ship slightly but he has often shown poor tactical awareness alongside the lack of adventurous playing style. Yes, we may get to another Cup Final but the true worth of any decent Manager is form in the league and for me the jury is still very much out. Next season may see us improve further if Fenlon can lose some of his negativity and put more faith in the young talent waiting in the wings. It'll be interesting, for instance, to see if Harris will be given a free reign by Fenlon to showcase his obvious talent.

we're all having a laugh here, Falkirk will pump us. every team knows now that just put 2 or 3 on Griffths and hibs are out the game. Fenlon has not got a glue how to change a game. where is Ross Cauldwell ? how does he not get a game ahead of doyle is beyond me. harris should start every week until the end of season, burn them out they say? what 90 minutes of football once a week and your burned out, what a joke.

sick and tired of hearing this crap from hibs everyweek. and Done, well don't get me started, he'll get the fans of their seats, aye to leave and go home. the guy has not got a clue.

Rant over

Beefster
16-03-2013, 11:00 AM

That would be true if every player moved on at the end of a contract. Players sometimes renew contracts. You just have to sign the right players in the first place.

BoltonHibee
16-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Agreed. So perhaps time we stopped using it as an excuse.

Spot on, it's not an excuse. It's more important for our manager to be able to spot an affordable talent (s) and gel them into a side with immediate effect. Otherwise we will continue to be treated to junk football for ever. That's the reality of the SPL today.

whiskyhibby
16-03-2013, 11:02 AM
This thread is utterly bonkers. I'm as pissed off with the result as anybody, but this is just beyond belief really.

Skinthibby is just the newest poster to take the analysis of PF nowhere.

Spot on, absolutely bonkers thread, we don't want to turn ourselves into the Yams, changing managers at least once every season

matty_f
16-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Shows how fine the margins are in football. But for two disgusting bits of refereeing (pen at tannadice, no goal in the derby) we would have been going into the game last night on the back of 3 great results.

Heisenberg
16-03-2013, 11:35 AM
we're all having a laugh here, Falkirk will pump us. every team knows now that just put 2 or 3 on Griffths and hibs are out the game. Fenlon has not got a glue how to change a game. where is Ross Cauldwell ? how does he not get a game ahead of doyle is beyond me. harris should start every week until the end of season, burn them out they say? what 90 minutes of football once a week and your burned out, what a joke.

sick and tired of hearing this crap from hibs everyweek. and Done, well don't get me started, he'll get the fans of their seats, aye to leave and go home. the guy has not got a clue.

Rant over

Falkirk will pump us? They've got Darren ****ing Dods still getting a game. We're a better team than them, we play with the right attitude and no one making stupid mistakes then we'll win the game and of that ive got no doubt. They can stick two or three on Sparky all they like, it'll leave plenty space for our other players to get forward.

Gala Foxes
16-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Falkirk will pump us? They've got Darren ****ing Dods still getting a game. We're a better team than them, we play with the right attitude and no one making stupid mistakes then we'll win the game and of that ive got no doubt. They can stick two or three on Sparky all they like, it'll leave plenty space for our other players to get forward.

there haven't been many instances of other Hibs players getting forward and scoring this season

Fergus52
16-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Clueless Fuds :blah:

LALthehibeeGAL
16-03-2013, 12:03 PM

:agree:top marks

guys get behind the team and manager eh!!!

LAL:wink:

Last Minute
16-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Like last night? Who are you kidding, fenlons tactics are a joke, and every team knows how to play us, we have been **** all season and just been lucky on the days other teams have been poor. No fight at all in this team, even when Motherwell scored there first do you see all the heads go down, even our captain has no rally around the players to get them going again. We are a joke of a team, the young players must been thinking why they can't get a start in this team

hibeedonald
16-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Thought 4-1 was a flattering scoreline, but Motherwell have by far a better team. That's there 4th win a row? including Celtic who couldn't muster a shot on target in the first half. Hanlon is badly needed back, Done did look awful though and Robertson not much better. Next week I would start Kev T and Harris. Don't think Thomson could do much worse so hardly a gamble while Harris has looked confident and like a player when he's come on.

Heisenberg
16-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Like last night? Who are you kidding, fenlons tactics are a joke, and every team knows how to play us, we have been **** all season and just been lucky on the days other teams have been poor. No fight at all in this team, even when Motherwell scored there first do you see all the heads go down, even our captain has no rally around the players to get them going again. We are a joke of a team, the young players must been thinking why they can't get a start in this team

Last night we played a far better team than us and a much better team than what we'll face when we play Falkirk. Definitely just been lucky when we've won? Give me a break. You strike me as the kind who won't give the team any credit when it's due but are more than happy to stick the boot in when things don't go so well.

I really don't know what folk have expected after last season. I would've been happy with mid table and another hampden trip tbh. We are where we are because we keep having to up root the team and management every season or so and no improvement is noted. Granted we've not played we'll in a lot of games in the second half of the season but maybe that's down to us having a team full of average players who were punching above their weight at the start of the season? We sometimes play well. Sometimes we're dreadful. If we get rid of another manager and another group of players now we'll not improve any time soon, people need to realise there is no quick fix for the position we've found ourselves in.

Sudds_1
16-03-2013, 12:50 PM
]Not asking for the guy to be sacked [/B]but not expecting anything under him other than the mostly rubbish I've seen for the last umpteen years.

Maybe I'm asking too much for Hibs to rise above the mediocre.

So what ARE you asking for??????? :confused:

AK86
16-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Pat Fenlon is another dud in a long line of Hibs managers the club needs changing from the totop maybury Robertson done Kuqi Doyle It's his team now and they are rank

Baldy Foghorn
16-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Pat Fenlon is another dud in a long line of Hibs managers the club needs changing from the totop maybury Robertson done Kuqi Doyle It's his team now and they are rank

OK then:faf::faf:

hibs4thecup1988
16-03-2013, 01:04 PM
I am stunned at some people's views on Fenlon.

I am not happy about last night, but lets be real. Motherwell were 2nd best in Scotland last season, and appear to be again this season. Yes it is frustrating because at the end of the day we should be competing with these teams.

I wish we could go 3 or 4 years with the same guy in charge. The productivity of the young guys would improve, we would have a settled team. I saw on another thread only 3 players last night were here longer than a year. That is saying something. We need to create a spine of a team and we have one. Williams, Mcpake, Thomson, Griffiths. If we can keep the latter two for next year then I really feel we can go places.

In my view it is still a transitional period for the club. Fenlon was never going to work wonders this year. Yes people can say without Griffiths we would be here there or over there. But guess what, we DO have him.

We are unbeaten against that lot over by, and yes who cares if its 3 draws and 1 win with a flukey goal, THEY HAVE NOT BEATEN US!

I am enjoying this season, and I have a sneaky feeling it is going to get better. As for United having a better run in, they are playing a Dundee team tomorrow that is playing well. As long as Celtic get the expected 3 points today then we will still be top 6 by tomorrow night I hope. If we can muster 3 points against Inverness then who knows what we can do against Celtic.

HOWEVER having said all that I don't mind if we are bottom 6, get the youngsters in more, get some of the squad a rest, and if we do get to the final then we can go into it fresh!

Rant over...

LeighLoyal
16-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Him giving Stevenson a new two year deal is a bit concerning. Utility man, I.E, sh**e in every position. :no way:

BoltonHibee
16-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Why are we not 2nd or at least giving it a good challenge?

Sudds_1
16-03-2013, 01:09 PM

What he said :top marks
Let’s stop the merry go round and give the guy achance. I've said before, thedestruction of the team by previous managerial appointments (and especially thelast) means a great deal of work is required to put back the kind of culture wehad - and lost. Doing that may take acouple of seasons. Fenlon is doingthat..........
............Or we could ask Pep Guardiola to come and fix itfor us. On our budget of course. He'd give us the instant success weapparently need :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
16-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Him giving Stevenson a new two year deal is a bit concerning. Utility man, I.E, sh**e in every position. :no way:

Really????

Leithenhibby
16-03-2013, 01:13 PM

YAWN, ******g YAWN :rolleyes:

hibs4thecup1988
16-03-2013, 01:20 PM

Clearly not been at Easter Road recently. Think before opening your mouth.

Load of pish

Swedish hibee
16-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Clearly not been at Easter Road recently. Think before opening your mouth.

Load of pish

Alfred E Newman
16-03-2013, 01:41 PM

Deary me.

ekhibee
16-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Although sometimes he seems to be slow to make some substitutions, I think Fenlon has done a good job at Hibs so far. Contrary to some others on this thread I don't regard Motherwell as standouts for 2nd place. They're an erratic team, capable of some great stuff (as they showed last night) but also just as capable of absolute pish (against Rangers in the cup and when we beat them 4-0 at Fir Park earlier for example). Never thought I'd say this a while back, but nowadays I definitely think we miss Hanlon who has improved no end as a player, and sadly Doyle doesn't look that he's really adding anything to us going forward, even though he works hard. 2 of the goals Motherwell scored yesterday were just really good goals, I wouldn't have blamed anybody in particular for either of them. If we were able to keep Griffiths, and it is a big if, we will definitely need to invest in a stronger striker than Doyle, because 1 up front can only work so much of the time. Otherwise I would definitely give Caldwell a chance to work with Griffiths on a more regular basis. Just my opinion though.

bigwheel
16-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Possibly one of the worsts posts ever on this site...

AK86
16-03-2013, 02:49 PM
OK then:faf::faf:

I am stunned at some people's views on Fenlon.

I am not happy about last night, but lets be real. Motherwell were 2nd best in Scotland last season, and appear to be again this season. Yes it is frustrating because at the end of the day we should be competing with these teams.

I wish we could go 3 or 4 years with the same guy in charge. The productivity of the young guys would improve, we would have a settled team. I saw on another thread only 3 players last night were here longer than a year. That is saying something. We need to create a spine of a team and we have one. Williams, Mcpake, Thomson, Griffiths. If we can keep the latter two for next year then I really feel we can go places.

In my view it is still a transitional period for the club. Fenlon was never going to work wonders this year. Yes people can say without Griffiths we would be here there or over there. But guess what, we DO have him.

We are unbeaten against that lot over by, and yes who cares if its 3 draws and 1 win with a flukey goal, THEY HAVE NOT BEATEN US!

I am enjoying this season, and I have a sneaky feeling it is going to get better. As for United having a better run in, they are playing a Dundee team tomorrow that is playing well. As long as Celtic get the expected 3 points today then we will still be top 6 by tomorrow night I hope. If we can muster 3 points against Inverness then who knows what we can do against Celtic.

HOWEVER having said all that I don't mind if we are bottom 6, get the youngsters in more, get some of the squad a rest, and if we do get to the final then we can go into it fresh!

Rant over...
Last night was not a one off
dundee ICT Ross county and Motherwell have all ripped us a new one this season we have won two league games in half a season. The football makes your eyes bleed. No movement not great fitness, old journeymen players played instead of promising youngsters .lvan replaced by Done????

if we exist just to not lose to that dross over the city , then count me out. One up front , big hoofs, very little support for Sparky. Players played out of position. It's poor poor stuff
Motherwell are no great team. Pass and move, that's all they had to do to make us look,like amatuers ,while Hibs play 10 behind the ball and still,lose 4 goals. Going to football is meant to be entertaining , watching Fenlons teams is torture
its his team , his tactics, his training. It's horrible and if you can't see it then your on cuckoo land

Fergus52
16-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Why do people get embroiled in threads started and populated by clowns?

Just LTYFs.

:agree:

Kato
16-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Pat Fenlon did have a major rebuilding job on his hands but it was no larger a task then that faced every year by the promoted team.

A promoted team has a winning habit. No one would say Hibs had that in the seasons leading up PF's arrival.

marinello59
16-03-2013, 04:03 PM
A promoted team has a winning habit. No one would say Hibs had that in the seasons leading up PF's arrival.

And we still don't.

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Fenlon has improved the side this season, and hopefully will again next term. I think to change the manager and expect somebody else to come in and do better is unrealistic.

We are short on quality in the middle and down the flanks, and yes, it's frustrating when smaller clubs like Motherwell and Dundee United continually seem to be able to pick up players for next to nothing who can perform decently in those areas.

But to ship Fenlon right now would be adding to the general instability which has attached itself to the club since 2007.

Beefster
16-03-2013, 04:22 PM

A winning habit and first division players. Your argument falls down with the fact that most promoted teams struggle in their first season up.

Ross County have improved as the season has progressed. We've gotten worse.

AK86
16-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Fenlon has improved the side this season, and hopefully will again next term. I think to change the manager and expect somebody else to come in and do better is unrealistic.

We are short on quality in the middle and down the flanks, and yes, it's frustrating when smaller clubs like Motherwell and Dundee United continually seem to be able to pick up players for next to nothing who can perform decently in those areas.

But to ship Fenlon right now would be adding to the general instability which has attached itself to the club since 2007.
Well folk obviously see things in Pat that I dont. All I see is

AK86
16-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Well folk obviously see things in Pat that I dont. All I see is hoof, 1 up front, 10 behind the ball, unfit players with a bad touch, Maybury , Done, Kuqi. No decent movement , no creativity, they don't even know what to do at throw inns.

Collins and Mixu should have been given longer. Yogi , the clown and now Fenlon just aren't up to the job. Sad but true

weonlywon6-2
16-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I often wonder how folk on here respond when something genuinely bad happens in their life. Calling for the manager's head after a loss to the 2nd best team in Scotland, seriously?

We won in paisley,should have beat Dundee it'd,had a great win at killie,should have beat the jumbos and yes a bad day at the office and all of a sudden the manager should go!!!!! . Hopefully we will get a result next week and build up to the semi v falkirk

Last Minute
16-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Last night was not a one off
dundee ICT Ross county and Motherwell have all ripped us a new one this season we have won two league games in half a season. The football makes your eyes bleed. No movement not great fitness, old journeymen players played instead of promising youngsters .lvan replaced by Done????

if we exist just to not lose to that dross over the city , then count me out. One up front , big hoofs, very little support for Sparky. Players played out of position. It's poor poor stuff
Motherwell are no great team. Pass and move, that's all they had to do to make us look,like amatuers ,while Hibs play 10 behind the ball and still,lose 4 goals. Going to football is meant to be entertaining , watching Fenlons teams is torture
its his team , his tactics, his training. It's horrible and if you can't see it then your on cuckoo land

Spot on

JimBHibees
16-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Most of the pathetic ****wits are nowhere to be seen until a reverse result then the usual suspects appear like flies round *****.

Completely agree you can just imagine them jumping about their living rooms with their Yam strips on as the goals flew in last night.

Big Sexy Dave
16-03-2013, 07:42 PM
I like him but sometimes hes too defensive.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2013, 08:02 PM

Aye okay then :rolleyes:

J-C
16-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I think unfortunately we have a squad of players who are fairly mediocre apart from 1 or 2, occasionally play very well but in general are average at best, hence why we are sitting bang in the middle of the table ATM.

We have a captain and leader who on a good day is just average at best and is found wanting on many an occasion, like last night when Daly had him in his back pocket. We lack pace on both wings and at FB, our midfield is so slow and laborious and we only have 1 striker of note, who we'll struggle to keep after the summer.

PF needs at least another window to try and eradicate these problems but if after this summer we still keep with these players or only add similar, then I fear it'll be another season on what could be and another manager.

OsloHibs
16-03-2013, 10:12 PM

This post and the England score today :faf:

Kato
16-03-2013, 11:33 PM
A winning habit and first division players. Your argument falls down with the fact that most promoted teams struggle in their first season up.

Ross County have improved as the season has progressed. We've gotten worse.

My argument is that it is hard to instill a winning habit.