PDA

View Full Version : Dear pat

aussie_hibee
15-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Just incase you haven't noticed, young Alex Harris has more talent in his curly locks than matt done.
p.s. you might wanna give Thomson some game time as he really can't do much worse than some of the others out there.

bingo70
15-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Harris is only 18 and currently being eased into first team football. His time will come but to start off with like any 18 year old starting out, the chances are it'll be coming off the bench.

Elephant Stone
15-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I think he probably has noticed, hence why he's being played.

Nice condescending, knee jerk thread though.

GoldenEagle
15-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Harris is only 18 and currently being eased into first team football. His time will come but to start off with like any 18 year old starting out, the chances are it'll be coming off the bench.

Doesn't seem to prevent other teams playing their youth players, we're hardly going to burn him out

Scooter
He was the only one tonight who ran at pace and took them on

aussie_hibee
And in the meantime we persist with somebody that's nowhere near as good as him? If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Hibercelona
15-03-2013, 08:39 PM

If he can cause more problems for the opposition than the likes of Robertson and Done, then he should be starting. He's young and will be bursting with energy.

He showed more in those 20 minutes than Robertson and Done have combined in their total game time for us so far.

Hibercelona
15-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Doesn't seem to prevent other teams playing their youth players, we're hardly going to burn him out

What does it mean to "burn" a player out anyway?

It's a total nonsense.

khib70
15-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Yeah..look what happened when we played Brown, Riordan, Kenny Miller et al as teenagers. Ruined their careers, eh? :rolleyes:

Up The Bracket
15-03-2013, 08:41 PM
To be fair my granny's better than Matt Done. I said it the night of his debut, he's not good enough.

Alex Harris was the only positive from tonight, was unlucky to score. Why we are persisting with Done, god only knows.

TornadoHibby
15-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I think he probably has noticed, hence why he's being played.

Nice condescending, knee jerk thread though.

Knee jerk aye!!??

1 win in ten games (St Mirren away on 16 Feb), 6 draws in that and the last win before that was Celtic at ER on 29 Dec 2012!!!

Little wonder we may miss top 6 again with ICT and Celtic to play yet before the split, home and away respectively!

Motherwell were good tho tonight, McFadden was superb. They deserved to win the game with the first three goals unstoppable!

Harris is a player undoubtedly whereas Done is sadly not!!

Also, I'd play Thommo instead of Robertson any day of the week as the latter is doing very little for us right now IMO!

bingo70
15-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Like who? It's not just about playing him It's about making sure we get the best out of him for years to come, not rushing him in, risking burn out, lack of confidence or injury.

Think Aberdeen had a really good youngster did they not that they rushed in and ended up getting a bad injury which he's struggled to recover from

Emerald
15-03-2013, 08:46 PM
We have a young player in Harris who looks quick, positive and exciting and we have Matt Done who looks like he's on that reality show trying to convince others that he is actually a football player or whatever it was. But if you dare rate one of our own young players more than this impostor that Pat signed you get dogs abuse, WHY :confused:

GoldenEagle
15-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Like who? It's not just about playing him It's about making sure we get the best out of him for years to come, not rushing him in, risking burn out, lack of confidence or injury.

Think Aberdeen had a really good youngster did they not that they rushed in and ended up getting a bad injury which he's struggled to recover from

You mean Ryan Fraser who was absolutely outstanding at beginning of season, so much so that he got a move down south.

Holding players back can do as much damage as letting them play football

bingo70
15-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah..look what happened when we played Brown, Riordan, Kenny Miller et al as teenagers. Ruined their careers, eh? :rolleyes:

No need for the sarcy tone to your post.

Most youngsters start off by coming off the bench, Kenny miller certainly did, riordan is washed up at 28, Scott brown seems to be doing ok but who's to say he wouldn't be plagued by injuries like he is now if he wasn't needed to play so much football when he was 18. Even then I remember brown coming off the bench at the start of his career so despite your eye rolling its you that's talking pish.

Alex Ferguson also criticized Liverpool recently for playing Owen too much when he was 18 which has lead to him having a pisher career than he should have done

R'Albin
15-03-2013, 08:51 PM
What does it mean to "burn" a player out anyway?

It's a total nonsense.

Tell that to Wotherspoon and Booth.

stoneyburn hibs
15-03-2013, 08:53 PM

He has shown great potential, a shining light in a very average team. Hopefully he gets a start from now until the end of the season. we are not good enough to not let a potential player be wrapped up . Let him do it without any pressure .

R'Albin
15-03-2013, 08:54 PM
No need for the sarcy tone to your post.

Most youngsters start off by coming off the bench, Kenny miller certainly did, riordan is washed up at 28, Scott brown seems to be doing ok but who's to say he wouldn't be plagued by injuries like he is now if he wasn't needed to play so much football when he was 18. Even then I remember brown coming off the bench at the start of his career so despite your eye rolling its you that's talking pish.

Alex Ferguson also criticized Liverpool recently for playing Owen too much when he was 18 which has lead to him having a pisher career than he should have done

Did Ferguson not also say he ruined Eric Black's career by playing him too much when he was young? Don't understand why posters are responding in such a patronising tone, your point is completely fair.

Peevemor
15-03-2013, 08:55 PM

and Lewis Stevenson.

hihohibby
15-03-2013, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=bingo70;3537772]It's not just about playing him It's about making sure we get the best out of him for years to come, not rushing him in, risking burn out, lack of confidence or injury.QUOTE]
I take your point, but when we are struggling to make an impact, and the season (league wise) is petering out into mid table obscurity, I say get the youngsters blooded. Top 6 is neither here nor there - money wise. The cup is our only hope of salvaging something from an average campaign, with as many highs as lows. Who knows what difference a fresh legged, enthusiastic youngster could make if given the chance of a regular run out. At worst he can mimic a few of our regular duds. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Emerald
15-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Did Ferguson not also say he ruined Eric Black's career by playing him too much when he was young? Don't understand why posters are responding in such a patronising tone, your point is completely fair.

Who was responsible for ruining Matt Done's career at an early age then? :greengrin

bingo70
He has shown great potential, a shining light in a very average team. Hopefully he gets a start from now until the end of the season. we are not good enough to not let a potential player be wrapped up . Let him do it without any pressure .

Expectations are already massive for this lad now which is great but we need to calm down, he had a good half hour against hearts and maybe 20 minutes tonight? Different ball game altogether starting games.

I'm quite happy for him to be a 2nd half sub for the rest of this season, hopefully come next season he'll get the benefit of that and we'll have a hell of a player on our hands.

Hibbyradge

We burnt Wotherspoon out.

stoneyburn hibs

Only patronising if you really take exception to it .

IberianHibernian
15-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Beaten by a better team with better players and a real team spirit and who seemed to know what to do all the time . Hard to find positives other than Harris but thought Doyle did enough again when he came on to suggest he`d be really useful again if given more time ( if we don`t make top 6 may benefit in end of season games ) . Rest of team was well below best even Williams who looked shaky a few times though not at fault with goals . Ironic that Taiwo should score after great pass from Wotherspoon in a game in which neither did much ( likewise Robertson and Claros though Jorge still looked class at times ) after failing to score in many impressive games . Undeserved first half lead maybe made players and manager complacent at half time - if we hadn`t been winning at half time Pat might have introduced Deegan for Robertson or Done to add a bit of steel to midfield . Anyway , ICT game is still important to have chance of top 6 ( though Europe now will have to be from cup ) and get some confidence before cup semi .

GoldenEagle
15-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Bingo, I agree we cannot ask for a full season out of an 18 yo, no one is as far as I can see but at the same time in the blink of an eye Caldwell, Handling and Harris will be 20 yo men with less than 10 starts to their name and their chance in the game is gone.

Not playing Harris tonight instead of a pathetic Matt Done was a criminal decision tonight. Done is the type of player that I thought we'd seen the end of at ER, ie a *****y loanee from a reserve team in England.

I'm angry tonight, realistic but angry at the team selection.

R'Albin
15-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Who was responsible for ruining Matt Done's career at an early age then? :greengrin

:tsk tsk: :greengrin

GoldenEagle
15-03-2013, 09:03 PM

The quote was around playing an 18 yo from now until end of the season.

Spoony, there's burn out and not being good enough.

Hibercelona
15-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Wotherspoon isn't playing any worse than most of the so called "experienced" players in the squad at the moment.

So I would hardly say he was "burnt out". (Whatever that actually means)

carnoustiehibee
15-03-2013, 09:04 PM

no we didnt hes just *****

Hibercelona
15-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Wotherspoon didn't look "burnt out" at the beginning of the season when the entire team was playing well.

He actually looked quite the part and scored a few cracking goals in the process. But people seem to have short memories.

bingo70
15-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Wotherspoon isn't playing any worse than most of the so called "experienced" players in the squad at the moment.

So I would hardly say he was "burnt out". (Whatever that actually means)

It means they pick up niggling injuries, lose their confidence and not as effective as they could be if they'd been brought into the team with a bit patience.

Hiber-nation
15-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm assuming he played Done ahead of Harris to help out Stevenson against McFadden. Failed miserably. I want to see Harris starting from now on. Nothing to lose.

Hibercelona
15-03-2013, 09:17 PM
It means they pick up niggling injuries, lose their confidence and not as effective as they could be if they'd been brought into the team with a bit patience.

Picking up a serious knock can dent a players confidence at any age. So I really don't see the point you're trying to make.

stoneyburn hibs
15-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Picking up a serious knock can dent a players confidence at any age. So I really don't see the point you're trying to make.

Indeed , give the boy games and give us something different and maybe exciting for the remaining games.

Hibby 2005
15-03-2013, 09:30 PM
no we didnt hes just *****

Agreed, Wotherspoon, the one cross expert, flying into tackles etc but manages to stay on the pitch while Harris and Thomson sit on the bench. Fenlon has no plan B, although it's been said before.

bingo70
15-03-2013, 09:43 PM

When they're young though they need to be treated with kid gloves a bit though, every manager does it, especially the best ones, you obviously don't think young players can get burnt out, maybe you should get on the blower to fergie to give him the benefit of your experience as well as turns out he thinks young players get burnt out as well.

Wotherspoons name has come up on this thread and the truth is we'll never know if playing too much has effected him or not as you only get one chance to introduce a youngster to first team football, if you blow it then that's it done, chances are you'll end up wondering "what if".

Worth remembering though that before tonight Harris had a good half an hour against a young hearts second choice full back so there was no need for the tone of the op, obviously fenlon will know more about Harris now and he may agree with you and not me but I can fully understand why fenlon didn't start with him tonight.

eastterrace
15-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Agreed, Wotherspoon, the one cross expert, flying into tackles etc but manages to stay on the pitch while Harris and Thomson sit on the bench. Fenlon has no plan B, although it's been said before.
keep hearing about this plan b canyou maybe tell me what it is

Hibeesforever
15-03-2013, 09:52 PM
And in the meantime we persist with somebody that's nowhere near as good as him? If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Yes, for me, that lad is starting next week. 5 in midfield or whatever but he was definitely the Hibs threat in the last 30 mins.

bingo70
15-03-2013, 09:57 PM
All this demanding of a youngster to start takes me back to Danny galbraiths early days.....

eastterrace
15-03-2013, 10:09 PM
keep hearing about this plan b canyou maybe tell me what it is

thought that no idea what plan b is , all this piss talk