PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells Masters

Sir David Gray
14-03-2013, 10:18 PM
The first Masters event of the year is taking place just now in California and most of the top players are all still in there.

Tomas Berdych is the first player into the semi finals after he beat Kevin Anderson earlier tonight, 6-4 6-4.

He will now play the winner of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer who are playing in a few hours' time.

It's the earliest that the two of them have met in a tournament since their first ever meeting in 2004 at the Miami Masters when they met in the last 32.

Nadal has the edge against Federer, winning 18 of their 28 matches but he faces undoubtedly his biggest test since returning from his long term injury and Federer will be the overwhelming favourite to progress.

Tomorrow, the other two quarter finals take place and Novak Djokovic faces Jo Wilfried Tsonga before Andy Murray plays Juan Martin Del Potro.

PatHead
15-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Looks like Nadal is back in a big way. Won convincingly over Federer even allowing for Feds bad back.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Quite surprised by the margin of victory for Nadal last night to be honest. I know he's more than capable of producing those kind of performances, he's one of the greatest players in the history of the sport after all, but he hadn't played anyone as good as Federer for about 9 or 10 months since his injury problems. He's certainly answered a lot of questions with that win.

I certainly expect him to beat Berdych in the semis tomorrow.

Novak Djokovic had another brilliant performance against Jo Wilfried Tsonga, winning 6-3 6-1.

Murray v Del Potro has just started and Murray has just recovered from being two break points down and held his opening service game. He leads 1-0.

Live coverage on Sky Sports 4.

PatHead
15-03-2013, 09:54 PM
I always think of Murray coming through about the same time as Del Potro. It shows how well Murray has done since then to maintain his top 4 positions with players of his quality around. Has never pushed on since he won the US.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I always think of Murray coming through about the same time as Del Potro. It shows how well Murray has done since then to maintain his top 4 positions with players of his quality around. Has never pushed on since he won the US.

To be fair to him, he won the US Open at the end of the 2009 season and then picked up a serious wrist injury a few months later at the start of the 2010 season and was out for a long time. That probably set him back quite a bit as he was just finding his way as a top 5 or 6 player.

I know Murray has had his injury problems as well, funnily enough also with a wrist injury on a couple of occasions but I think Murray is just a better all round player than Del Potro.

The tennis he is playing nowadays, on a consistent basis, is up there with the other top three players and although Novak Djokovic is still undoubtedly the best in the world, Murray is certainly not far behind.

Del Potro is serving just now at 4-5.

PatHead
15-03-2013, 10:42 PM
To be fair to him, he won the US Open at the end of the 2009 season and then picked up a serious wrist injury a few months later at the start of the 2010 season and was out for a long time. That probably set him back quite a bit as he was just finding his way as a top 5 or 6 player.

I know Murray has had his injury problems as well, funnily enough also with a wrist injury on a couple of occasions but I think Murray is just a better all round player than Del Potro.

The tennis he is playing nowadays, on a consistent basis, is up there with the other top three players and although Novak Djokovic is still undoubtedly the best in the world, Murray is certainly not far behind.

Del Potro is serving just now at 4-5.

Wasn't aware until the commentator said Murray would go no 2 if he reaches final. Wobble from Murray

PatHead
15-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Thought Murray was going to blow the tie break but some rally and he gets home.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Terrible performance in this final set from Murray, although Del Potro has played well.

Del Potro is definitely going to be the deserved winner, he's barely missed a shot in the past hour or so.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Rafael Nadal is through to his biggest final since last year's French Open and his first hard court final since last year's Australian Open, after beating Tomas Berdych 6-4 7-5.

He'll now play either Novak Djokovic or Juan Martin Del Potro in tomorrow's final.

They start their match very shortly.

PatHead
16-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Couldn't bring myself to watch the tennis tonight after last night's disappointment. What a weekend, Hibs up at half time, lose. Murray wins first set, loses and now Scotland winning at half time, lose. Surely it must change tomorrow. BTW you got Wimbledon tickets this year?

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Couldn't bring myself to watch the tennis tonight after last night's disappointment. What a weekend, Hibs up at half time, lose. Murray wins first set, loses and now Scotland winning at half time, lose. Surely it must change tomorrow. BTW you got Wimbledon tickets this year?

Not yet, although I am planning to go down to London again this year and I am planning on going to Wimbledon for at least one day.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Djokovic and Del Potro going to a deciding set.

Djokovic took the first set 6-4 but Del Potro has just levelled things up by taking the second set by the same scoreline.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Del Potro wins 4-6 6-4 6-4.

Great match and good comeback from Del Potro, considering he was 3-0 down in the third set.

Nadal v Del Potro in the final tomorrow.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Nadal v Del Potro about to start in a few minutes.

Really hope Rafa does it tonight.

It would be the perfect way to announce his comeback.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2013, 09:10 PM
What a set of tennis!

Del Potro takes the opener 6-4.

Came back from 0-3 and 15-40 down.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Nadal wins 4-6 6-3 6-4.

Great match and a brilliant win for Rafa!

He's certainly back! :agree: