PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean we could take the seats oot?

RIP
14-03-2013, 02:26 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/217366-requirement-for-seated-stadiums-to-be-scrapped-under-league-reconstruction/

Wonder if any clubs with all-seated stadia would apply for a standing area off the back of this rule change?

At the Derby we had about 3 sections (1.500 to 2,000 supporters?) standing for the entire 90 minutes

To take the seats out completely reduces the flexibility of the stadium and may require the installation of crush barriers

Never say never though!

DH1875
14-03-2013, 02:46 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/217366-requirement-for-seated-stadiums-to-be-scrapped-under-league-reconstruction/

Wonder if any clubs with all-seated stadia would apply for a standing area off the back of this rule change?

At the Derby we had about 3 sections (1.500 to 2,000 supporters?) standing for the entire 90 minutes

To take the seats out completely reduces the flexibility of the stadium and may require the installation of crush barriers

Never say never though!

Wouldn't work in the east as it's too steep. Bottom of the FF could be a goer though.

Alex Trager
14-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Hopefully.
Recently taken a real shining to Dortmund and after studying their stadia I've realised that they reason they have an incomparable atmosphere is they have eighty thousand inside the ground that seated holds just over sixty thousand.

Standing is a must

Monts
14-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Sorry for going slightly off topic already but the last bit intrigued me

SFL teams are yet to decide when they will hold their vote, although STV understands it will also be held in April. 22 of 29 member clubs, excluding Rangers, must vote in favour for the plans to be approved.

Why are The Rangers excluded?

adhibs
14-03-2013, 03:00 PM
curva nord

Ryan91
14-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Not been there long enough?

:confused:

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't work in the east as it's too steep. Bottom of the FF could be a goer though.

:agree: Perhaps section 43 would like to move there too? :timebomb:

Mikey
14-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Standing areas could be introduced in the lower sections of the FF, west and south without too much difficulty. Although there would be an initial cost to do this, many would see it as much more worthwhile than the money spent on building the east stand and building/running East Mains!

These areas would be really popular and I'm sure would help entice people back.

green glory
14-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Standing areas could be introduced in the lower sections of the FF, west and south without too much difficulty. Although there would be an initial cost to do this, many would see it as much more worthwhile than the money spent on building the east stand and building/running East Mains!

In the main stand it would just be like standing in the old enclosures albeit with the option of chicken burgers and pizza now. And without the water from the knackered guttering pissing down on you like in the old north enclosure. Down at the corner was NOT the place to be on a rainy day.

adhibs
14-03-2013, 03:31 PM

Might not be popular with some but the increased revenue from having standing in the bottom tier of south could be a bonus. The revenue from that would probably soon pay for they uefa compliant removeable seats thry use in germany

PatHead
14-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Although the press would have you believe otherwise they are not full members of the Scottish Football League and as such have no voting rights. I have a feeling they will be full member once they meet the criteria below.

(as they are a new company without 3 years accounts.)

jgl07
14-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Hibs could take out 15,000 seats and reduce the capacity to 5,000!

Standing is not coming back. The police will see to that.

Hermit Crab
14-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Hibs could take out 15,000 seats and reduce the capacity to 5,000!

Standing is not coming back. The police will see to that.

What have the police got to do with it? Lots of fans stand at the moment in the east in particular and the police don't give a Donald Duck.

Keith_M
14-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I know I'm gonna get it in the neck for saying this but the requirement for all seated stadia was a knee jerk reaction to one event that nearly bankrupted a lot of clubs.

I have mixed feelings about it, though, as I firmly believe if this hadn't happened, we would neve have seen the modern stadia we have now.

Hermit Crab
14-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Whenever we don't sell out its a boycott.

ScottB
14-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Would it though? Are there large numbers currently refusing to go that would if they could stand, or is it more likely people will move from their current seats into the presumably cheaper standing sections?

It's a fair enough idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it caused a drop in revenue!

barcahibs
14-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Would it though? Are there large numbers currently refusing to go that would if they could stand, or is it more likely people will move from their current seats into the presumably cheaper standing sections?

It's a fair enough idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it caused a drop in revenue!

Why would the standing sections be cheaper? If its going to cost Hibs money to remove seats, install crash barriers etc (even more money if adaptable seating has to be installed to remain compliant for European games) then I'd expect the standing sections to be more expensive than the seated ones.

In fact if there really is a huge 'missing' support base who aren't turning up because they can't stand then logically they should expect to pay more in order to guarantee a space in a limited standing section?

Would those in favour of standing be prepared to pay a premium in order to do so?

(I'm not particularly bothered by standing either way, I don't want to stand at the football but I've got sympathy with those who do. if Hibs can accommodate this they should - but it shouldn't come at a cost to either the playing budget or be funded out of the gate money of people who don't want to stand IMO.)

StevieT
14-03-2013, 04:50 PM
I visited the Hillsborough memorial last week. I stood at the gates and looked through to the tunnels the supporters went down. Anyone who has stood on a terracing where there has been any sort of a crush would feel what I felt last week. In my opinion we should not have standing at football. It may have been overkill to introduce all seated stadia, but we cannot deny that they are safer.

RIP
14-03-2013, 05:22 PM
I visited the Hillsborough memorial last week. I stood at the gates and looked through to the tunnels the supporters went down. Anyone who has stood on a terracing where there has been any sort of a crush would feel what I felt last week. In my opinion we should not have standing at football. It may have been overkill to introduce all seated stadia, but we cannot deny that they are safer.

The laddie was reading out of the programme recently that Hibs played Celtic in 1971 in front of a crowd of 106,000. I was the same age as my laddie then - 14

I was describing what happened in those situations when a goal or near miss. A huge wave of bodies that swept you off your feet. Imagine 135,000 in old Hampden in a ground that now holds 52,000!!!

Hibeesforever
14-03-2013, 05:41 PM

Certainly would. A great idea and there should be active lobbying. The FF standing area would never be allowed to hold that many but it would a great area for people to congregate and focus upon singing and helping to generate an atmosphere.

Can a surveyor provide an estimated cost for conversion. Is £500k too high or not realistic ?

Hibeesforever
14-03-2013, 05:52 PM

That's not a factually correct statement.
I have stood in the exact location at Hillsborough.
Two things "caused" the fatalities, poor policing/ stewarding and the imposition of fences that stopped the overspill being allowed onto the pitch safely.

A high seated area does not seem or feel "safer" to me. Ask the Hearts fan that nose-dived at the New Year derby!

cabbageandribs1875
14-03-2013, 06:04 PM

far too steep imo :agree:

Mikey
14-03-2013, 06:05 PM
It really doesn't have to be complicated. The standing areas I refer to would be all ticket to ensure they weren't over populated. Keep the price the same. Erm...... that's it!!

Too much emphasis is put on getting families along to matches. This would appeal to a different demographic and would undoubtedly be popular.

If this kicks in for next season then we should have standing areas in place for the beginning of season 14/15.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2013, 06:06 PM
It really doesn't have to be complicated. The standing areas I refer to would be all ticket to ensure they weren't over populated. Keep the price the same. Erm...... that's it!!

Too much emphasis is put on getting families along to matches. This would appeal to a different demographic and would undoubtedly be popular.

If this kicks in for next season then we should have standing areas in place for the beginning of season 14/15.

:agree: There is no need to complicate this.

DC_Hibs
14-03-2013, 11:46 PM
incomparable atmosphere

What are you comparing it with SPL??

I'd say it's nothing special and that's comparing their atmosphere with plenty German stadiums and a lot of other games outside Germany.

Stadium's a cracker mind.

RIP
15-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Although in principle a standing area in the Famous Five would seem logical it would need a thorough poll of Hibs Supporters first and a strong business case.

Are there any examples in the SPL where a club's home singing support congregates behind a goal?

Hibs away days at St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Ayr, Motherwell and Kille had a fantastic atmosphere with 2, 3 or 4 thousand Hibbies standing for 90 minutes at one end of the ground. But we are only there because we get allocated an end, as do the away support at Easter Road.

Easter Road is different. Given a choice, most supporters prefer the view from the sides of a ground. You can see all the action, even more so if you are high up. In my own personal opinion, my family and mates would prefer that superior view of the game to standing at one end. The atmosphere in the East has been building season on season and on a few occasions the majority of the stand rose to it's feet to sing in unison. An awesome sight that has a tremendous impact upon the players.

So although it may be possible to create supply, I'm not convinced there would be any demand

lucky
15-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Hibs have spent a fortune to make ER a fantastic mordern stadium. It would be a backward step to rip out seats to allow 2000-3000 fans to stand in the FF. It has been claimed it would created extra revenue by increasing the capacity but we can't sell out ER now. Do we really want to create more room for Hearts, Celtic and one day the Huns? For me football stadia should be all seated. We can never forget how 96 fans died because of a ramshackle stadium.

Keith_M
15-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Although in principle a standing area in the Famous Five would seem logical it would need a thorough poll of Hibs Supporters first and a strong business case.

Are there any examples in the SPL where a club's home singing support congregates behind a goal?

Hibs away days at St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Ayr, Motherwell and Kille had a fantastic atmosphere with 2, 3 or 4 thousand Hibbies standing for 90 minutes at one end of the ground. But we are only there because we get allocated an end, as do the away support at Easter Road.

Easter Road is different. Given a choice, most supporters prefer the view from the sides of a ground. You can see all the action, even more so if you are high up. In my own personal opinion, my family and mates would prefer that superior view of the game to standing at one end. The atmosphere in the East has been building season on season and on a few occasions the majority of the stand rose to it's feet to sing in unison. An awesome sight that has a tremendous impact upon the players.

So although it may be possible to create supply, I'm not convinced there would be any demand

So, we knock down the new East Stand and build a covered terrace that isn't so steep. A bit like, well, the old East Terrace :greengrin

dp00
15-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Why bother with the hassle of ripping out the seats.... You can already pretty much stand in the east if you wanna

Problem solved

Hainan Hibs
15-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Agree with all of that, especially appealing to other demographics than families.

marinello59
15-03-2013, 09:17 AM

I would disagree that too much emphasis is out on attracting families. The way we spend our leisure time and money now has changed radically over the past couple of decades so attracting family groups is vital for the long term good of the game as a spectator sport.
As for standing areas attracting another demographic I am not so sure that is true. Surely we will just see the crazy gang move from one are to another. Are there really that many people out there who are not going to football because there are no standing areas in top flight grounds? Crowds were still poor in the late 70s and early 80s when terracing was the norm.
In saying that reintroducing standing areas would be popular and I would love to see an area set aside for this. That's where I would be tempted to watch Hibs from no matter which stand was used.

Sylar
15-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Pretty sure that following Heysel to Hillsborough, the authorities will ensure standing at football in the UK never happens (apart from lower league grounds where there's no option).

It's a shame because when done properly, the standing section is a great sight to behold.

I don't think it would work in Scotland though as we don't experience anything near to capacity so would look pretty pitiful against the backdrop of a "spacious" stadium.

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Two things "caused" the fatalities, poor policing/ stewarding and the imposition of fences that stopped the overspill being allowed onto the pitch safely.

A high seated area does not seem or feel "safer" to me. Ask the Hearts fan that nose-dived at the New Year derby!

We could go on and on but lets not forget the pens of the Lepping Lane terrace which prevented the crowd dispersing throughout the terracing. And just as important from my own experience was the level of crushing in those very same pens the previous year. I don't want to see a return to terracing/standing but fully understand those who do.

Heedersnvolleys
15-03-2013, 10:15 AM

For me standing with floppy, tightly packed plastic seats in the rode is much more dangerous!

Steve-O
15-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Hibs have spent a fortune to make ER a fantastic mordern stadium. It would be a backward step to rip out seats to allow 2000-3000 fans to stand in the FF. It has been claimed it would created extra revenue by increasing the capacity but we can't sell out ER now. Do we really want to create more room for Hearts, Celtic and one day the Huns? For me football stadia should be all seated. We can never forget how 96 fans died because of a ramshackle stadium.

Get a hold of yourself. Lessons have clearly been learned since 1989 and no safe standing section would lead to anything like Hillsborough. Total and utter risk-averse nonsense to suggest otherwise.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Get a hold of yourself. Lessons have clearly been learned since 1989 and no safe standing section would lead to anything like Hillsborough. Total and utter risk-averse nonsense to suggest otherwise.

:agree: Everything from borrowing money to taking seats out always has one or two taking it to the extreme, i'm surprised they can cross the road on their own? :rolleyes:

MrSmith
15-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I would like to see the use the corners for standing. Build up a concrete slope and cover, house style! Would be great!

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I would like to see the use the corners for standing. Build up a concrete slope and cover, house style! Would be great!

It would look a bit silly with the corners jammed to the rafters and the stands empty would it not!

MrSmith
15-03-2013, 12:59 PM
It would look a bit silly with the corners jammed to the rafters and the stands empty would it not!

Yep! :greengrin

DH1875
15-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Pretty sure that following Heysel to Hillsborough, the authorities will ensure standing at football in the UK never happens (apart from lower league grounds where there's no option).

It's a shame because when done properly, the standing section is a great sight to behold.

I don't think it would work in Scotland though as we don't experience anything near to capacity so would look pretty pitiful against the backdrop of a "spacious" stadium.

What if we vote for independance next year???

Eyrie
15-03-2013, 05:51 PM
What if we vote for independance next year???

Then expect the Yams to get a Scottish Government grant to clear their debts (assuming they haven't gone Sevco before then).