PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal still in it

heretoday
13-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Arsenal are making a pretty good fight of staying in the CL. 1-0 up but it's end to end stuff and there will be more goals for sure.

Lots of careless mistakes on both sides.

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2013, 09:28 PM
2-0 squeaky bum time.

Scottie
13-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Game on Bayern 0 Arsenal 2
5 mins to go

ronaldo7
13-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Game over Arsene is seek

Scouse Hibee
13-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Out

hibbymick
13-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Arsene out Butcher in.

heretoday
13-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I really don't see how Wenger gets to stay at Arsenal. He must have the board hypnotised or something. For a club that size to win nothing in seven years is extraordinary.

And I'm an Everton fan!

Scouse Hibee
13-03-2013, 09:39 PM
I really don't see how Wenger gets to stay at Arsenal. He must have the board hypnotised or something. For a club that size to win nothing in seven years is extraordinary.

And I'm an Everton fan!

Well if anyone knows about winning **** all it's you :greengrin

heretoday
13-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Well if anyone knows about winning **** all it's you :greengrin

Ha Ha! How dare you! You were pretty fortunate against the Totts the other day I must say. Suarez cheating his way through the match as per.

Everton look like proudly occupying seventh place for another year.

Scottie
13-03-2013, 09:47 PM
He's on a shoogly peg now surely
If the 1.5 billion takeover goes through Petrie might be getting a call for Paddy's services

Scouse Hibee
13-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Ha Ha! How dare you! You were pretty fortunate against the Totts the other day I must say. Suarez cheating his way through the match as per.

:tee hee: Watching through blue tinted glasses again I see.

PatHead
13-03-2013, 10:26 PM
So all the teams from the self appointed "best league in the world" are out by the same time as all the Scottish teams. They must be pretty gash as well.

Stevie Reid
13-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere and didn't want to start a new thread but in another of tonight's games, Blackburn and Millwall were playing each other at Ewood Park for a place in the FA Cup Semi Final to play Wigan - they were watched by 8,635 fans.

I find that unbelievable.

Scouse Hibee
13-03-2013, 10:36 PM
So all the teams from the self appointed "best league in the world" are out by the same time as all the Scottish teams. They must be pretty gash as well.

Hmmmmm that's right they would never hack it in the SPL would they? AC would struggle for top six. :rolleyes:

frazeHFC
13-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Watched the game and thought Liverpool played some cracking stuff at times, mainly helped by the skill of Suarez and Coutinho. Team to watch next year if they sign a couple more players. :agree:

ballengeich
13-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere and didn't want to start a new thread but in another of tonight's games, Blackburn and Millwall were playing each other at Ewood Park for a place in the FA Cup Semi Final to play Wigan - they were watched by 8,635 fans.

I find that unbelievable.

It is. Wasn't it a crowd of 9,000 at Hampden for our game against Dunfermline that prompted the SFA to abandon semi-final replays?

lapsedhibee
13-03-2013, 10:43 PM
I really don't see how Wenger gets to stay at Arsenal. He must have the board hypnotised or something.

Arsene makes a profit every year for the Arsenal board.

hibsbollah
13-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Hmmmmm that's right they would never hack it in the SPL would they? AC would struggle for top six. :rolleyes:

Thats not his point and you know it. If you listen to the sports media in England and Scotland, you'd think the 'Premier League' (any chance of calling it Division One again, anyone?) represents the ultimate in world football, and the SPL is an irrelevant embarrassment. Which isnt the case if you look at performances on the Champions League pitches. And i cant stand Celtc either, by the way :greengrin

heretoday
13-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Eh?

Scouse Hibee
14-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Thats not his point and you know it. If you listen to the sports media in England and Scotland, you'd think the 'Premier League' (any chance of calling it Division One again, anyone?) represents the ultimate in world football, and the SPL is an irrelevant embarrassment. Which isnt the case if you look at performances on the Champions League pitches. And i cant stand Celtc either, by the way :greengrin

The overall performances of English clubs since the inception of the Champions League has been pretty impressive though.

Iggy Pope
14-03-2013, 08:39 PM
The overall performances of English clubs since the inception of the Champions League has been pretty impressive though.

Have to agree with this.
Even pre CL, English sides had a good record in the old European Cup.
Until they got kicked out for a few years of course......

jacomo
14-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Arsene makes a profit every year for the Arsenal board.

There's that, and the fact that Wenger has transformed the club. If they don't qualify for the CL then he will be under more pressure, but it's the fans rather than the board who will ask him to go.

hibsbollah
14-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Have to agree with this.
Even pre CL, English sides had a good record in the old European Cup.
Until they got kicked out for a few years of course......

I'd question that. The 1970s Liverpool team(s) assaults on the European Cup*were an exception*but compared to every other big European country England underachieved.

Scottie
14-03-2013, 11:41 PM
I'd question that. The 1970s Liverpool team(s) assaults on the European Cup*were an exception*but compared to every other big European country England underachieved.

Got to disagree Bollah

What about Aston Villa and Notts Forest both European Champions :rolleyes:

heretoday
14-03-2013, 11:52 PM

Balls.

hibsbollah
14-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Got to disagree Bollah

What about Aston Villa and Notts Forest both European Champions :rolleyes:

I know they both won it, i was alive both times:greengrin

My point is if you compare with the likes of Real Madrid, AC Milan, Bayern, Barca, Juve, Inter and even wee Ajax and the big two Portuguese teams, you'd expect English clubs to do better.

Scottie
15-03-2013, 12:14 AM
I know they both won it, i was alive both times:greengrin

My point is if you compare with the likes of Real Madrid, AC Milan, Bayern, Barca, Juve, Inter and even wee Ajax and the big two Portuguese teams, you'd expect English clubs to do better.

Not convinced
Since 1980 - Winners

Spain x 7, Italy x 8, Germany x 3, Holland x 2, Portugal x 2, Romania-Yugoslavia x 1 each
Compared with 7 English winning teams since 1980

Pretty even when taken how bias the ref's have been against all British teams in european competition for decades :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Not convinced
Since 1980 - Winners

Spain x 7, Italy x 8, Germany x 3, Holland x 2, Portugal x 2, Romania-Yugoslavia x 1 each
Compared with 7 English winning teams since 1980

Pretty even when taken how bias the ref's have been against all British teams in european competition for decades :rolleyes:

As well as the winners the progression to varous stages is also pretty impressive.

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Balls.

Stop dreaming of what Everton might have done and face facts :wink:

DH1875
15-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Watched the game and thought Liverpool played some cracking stuff at times, mainly helped by the skill of Suarez and Coutinho. Team to watch next year if they sign a couple more players. :agree:

They need to keep Suarez to have any chance of doing anything.

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2013, 02:52 PM
They need to keep Suarez to have any chance of doing anything.

I don't agree. There was a similar mindset with Torres and then signed Suarez. I would like to see him stay but if not someone else will come along.

heretoday
15-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Stop dreaming of what Everton might have done and face facts :wink:

How dare you - again!

Liverpool is my favourite city. Everton is my team.

Best wishes.

hibsbollah
25-03-2013, 02:21 PM
As well as the winners the progression to varous stages is also pretty impressive.

Just chucking some stats into the mix here :greengrin

In 2007, 2008 and 2009 England had 3 of the 4 Champions League semifinalists. The last 4 seasons theyve had zero, one, one, and zero again this season. Its more than a blip to me, and if you consider the wealth advantage over the competition theres no question they are underachieving at the top level.

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Just chucking some stats into the mix here :greengrin

In 2007, 2008 and 2009 England had 3 of the 4 Champions League semifinalists. The last 4 seasons theyve had zero, one, one, and zero again this season. Its more than a blip to me, and if you consider the wealth advantage over the competition theres no question they are underachieving at the top level.

I read an article on the net (don't know how accurate it is) using some sort of scoring system for every round clubs get through from the start of the CL up to this season, Spain are the top performing country followed by England. The system used doesn't account for wealth though so you have a point.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1113021-champions-league-

hibsbollah
25-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Thats a good read :agree: although theres never going to be much surprise as to who the top nations are. With seeding at the group stages as well the chances of getting a Red Star or Steaua or Marseille coming through and winning the trophy is getting smaller and smaller.

I hate to say it but Celtc deserve more credit than theyre getting for getting out of their group, it doesnt happen to 'wee' teams much anymore.

jacomo
25-03-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't agree. There was a similar mindset with Torres and then signed Suarez. I would like to see him stay but if not someone else will come along.

Liverpool are becoming a mid-table team. They have a talismanic striker but without him they'd be doing a lot worse... and while he might stay for one more season, I can't see him staying beyond that.

They remind me of mid-90s Spurs with Klinnsman or Ginola adding the goals and flair to an otherwise average side, but with a more glamorous history. Who knows if they can ever get back to those heights - it looks like a tall order at the moment.

Bostonhibby
25-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Liverpool are becoming a mid-table team. They have a talismanic striker but without him they'd be doing a lot worse... and while he might stay for one more season, I can't see him staying beyond that.

They remind me of mid-90s Spurs with Klinnsman or Ginola adding the goals and flair to an otherwise average side, but with a more glamorous history. Who knows if they can ever get back to those heights - it looks like a tall order at the moment.

Agree, not comfortable saying it but I feel Liverpool are going down the Newcastle route, Loads of loyal fans dining out on past achievements albeit bigger and more recent than Newcastles better times. Liverpool used to have the luxury of being so far ahead of the rest that even if they did have a dip it was never a huge problem, now the top group are their well funded target I think the best they can do for the next few seasons is focus on maybe catching Arsenal for 4th or 5th.

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Agree, not comfortable saying it but I feel Liverpool are going down the Newcastle route, Loads of loyal fans dining out on past achievements albeit bigger and more recent than Newcastles better times. Liverpool used to have the luxury of being so far ahead of the rest that even if they did have a dip it was never a huge problem, now the top group are their well funded target I think the best they can do for the next few seasons is focus on maybe catching Arsenal for 4th or 5th.

I find it hard to compare Newcastle's past sucess with Liverpool's to be honest simply because I can't really remember it as it was that far back! Liverpool won the CL in 2005 and League and FA cup more recently when did Newcastle last win anything? Is it a bad thing that that both clubs can still attract a huge fanbase and in Newcastle's case with no recent success at all? I don't see a problem as a fan in basking in past glories, why not? Do we not still celebrate past glories at Hibs?

I was lucky enough to experience and have personally witnessed the good old days when Liverpool were so far ahead it was easy. I will never forget and I will always reflect on that era why not?

I agree Liverpool wil struggle for top six in the near future. It's good to dream though :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
25-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Thats a good read :agree: although theres never going to be much surprise as to who the top nations are. With seeding at the group stages as well the chances of getting a Red Star or Steaua or Marseille coming through and winning the trophy is getting smaller and smaller.

I hate to say it but Celtc deserve more credit than theyre getting for getting out of their group, it doesnt happen to 'wee' teams much anymore.

I think that's true, but I'd say that resources-wise, Dortmund deserve the most credit for pissing their group. Granted, they are hardly paupers, but it's certainly not a squad that has been assembled by brute force of the wallet (Marco 'Rolls' Reus being the only big money signing that I can think of).

hibsbollah
25-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I think that's true, but I'd say that resources-wise, Dortmund deserve the most credit for pissing their group. Granted, they are hardly paupers, but it's certainly not a squad that has been assembled by brute force of the wallet (Marco 'Rolls' Reus being the only big money signing that I can think of).

What Dortmund have done is amazing. Just shows what you can achieve with a decent youth set up.