PDA

View Full Version : If Hibs were bought over..................

Skanko79
13-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Have read in the past some interesting views on here regarding clubs like Man City etc etc "buying" thier way to success. Some people seem to think its killing our game, some think its a good thing.

Personally, in my opinion the likes of Man United, Tottenham and Liverpool have been doing the same, because they dont have "arab" owners they dont fall under the same category.

What im getting at is, with Hibs being probably one of the most desirable and financially sound teams (in scotland), Grade A training facilities, great new stadium. If any one was wanting to buy a club in scotland we would probably be looked at.

Would your opinion on these super clubs change? Would you still support Hibs? Would the challenge of being a Hibs fan die? How would you feel?

Diclonius
13-03-2013, 05:52 PM
If it got us a 6-1 win away at our rival, I wouldn't be complaining.

yekimevol
13-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Have read in the past some interesting views on here regarding clubs like Man City etc etc "buying" thier way to success. Some people seem to think its killing our game, some think its a good thing.

Personally, in my opinion the likes of Man United, Tottenham and Liverpool have been doing the same, because they dont have "arab" owners they dont fall under the same category.

What im getting at is, with Hibs being probably one of the most desirable and financially sound teams (in scotland), Grade A training facilities, great new stadium. If any one was wanting to buy a club in scotland we would probably be looked at.

Would your opinion on these super clubs change? Would you still support Hibs? Would the challenge of being a Hibs fan die? How would you feel?

Nothing would stop me supporting hibs, the self same as nothing has stopped me supporting city for the last 15 years. But citys finances bought the the title just like every other team e.g. man utd spending lots of money on the likes of rooney, robin van persie, Berbatov, Valencia, nani, Anderson .... is no different to city liverpool are doing the same carrol, allen, Suárez ....

Skanko79
13-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Nothing would stop me supporting hibs, the self same as nothing has stopped me supporting city for the last 15 years. But citys finances bought the the title just like every other team e.g. man utd spending lots of money on the likes of rooney, robin van persie, Berbatov, Valencia, nani, Anderson .... is no different to city liverpool are doing the same carrol, allen, Suárez ....

couldnt agree more, went to my first city game when they were in div 2 and i cant think of a bunch of fans that deserve it more after the loyalty they showed during that spell, im sure i read somewhere as well last year when city won the title man uniteds team cost more than citys, maybe it was the season before but regardless, if they dont spend more they arent a kick in the arse off it.

bingo70
13-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I think although I'd obviously enjoy the success it'd be tarnished by worrying about when it was going to go tits up.

I know this isn't what you asked but hypothetically speaking I'd rather win the Scottish cup once playing a team we can afford than win the SPL five times in a row due to spending way more than we can afford.

rcarter1
13-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Great question.

It would depend of course who it was that bought the club, what finances they would put in - and what they were looking for in return.

Scenario 1: Mental Uber rich billionaire Dude wanting to spend his life making a club super successful so he can boast to his mates/rivals how cool he is.

Anyone with the ambition to grow Hibs as a genuine consistent challenge to the Old firm, would need to establish the following:

£50,000,000 annual investment (not as loans, straight up cash).
Committment to continue this level of investment for at least 10, and more like 25 years.
Accept almost complete losses of their investment for at least the first 10 and more like 25 years.

IF that were to happen (and Im assuming there is less than 0% chance that it would), it would most definitely be exciting - but this wouldnt be the Hibs I know, and I suspect that by the end of it Id have mutated into a Glory hunting moron..

Scenario 2: Wealthy Investors with a desire to run the club in a steady fashion but with the aim of being a '3rd force' type of thing.

These guys would need to invest a bit - but maybe only like £1,000,000 a year to help build a strong squad of players of similar or slightly better quality to what we have. They would be looking for season tickets to build slowly to maybe 12,000 whereupon their investment might just start paying off. But why would they do it? Do we change our name, stadium, strip, etc Are we an advertising vehicle?

Not really a fan of either - I really like being independent pay as you go kind of guys. Would rather play in a league without Old Firm and be part of more fair contest :agree:

Skanko79
13-03-2013, 06:18 PM
I think although I'd obviously enjoy the success it'd be tarnished by worrying about when it was going to go tits up.

I know this isn't what you asked but hypothetically speaking I'd rather win the Scottish cup once playing a team we can afford than win the SPL five times in a row due to spending way more than we can afford.

technically speaking though we would have won the spl 5 times with a team we COULD afford as we would be minted :wink:

Seveno
13-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I hope that STF will eventually hand the club over to a trust that will ensure that it is always 'our' club and never a rich man's plaything.

ancient hibee
13-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Great question.

It would depend of course who it was that bought the club, what finances they would put in - and what they were looking for in return.

Scenario 1: Mental Uber rich billionaire Dude wanting to spend his life making a club super successful so he can boast to his mates/rivals how cool he is.

Anyone with the ambition to grow Hibs as a genuine consistent challenge to the Old firm, would need to establish the following:

Committment to continue this level of investment for at least 10, and more like 25 years.
Accept almost complete losses of their investment for at least the first 10 and more like 25 years.

IF that were to happen (and Im assuming there is less than 0% chance that it would), it would most definitely be exciting - but this wouldnt be the Hibs I know, and I suspect that by the end of it Id have mutated into a Glory hunting moron..

Scenario 2: Wealthy Investors with a desire to run the club in a steady fashion but with the aim of being a '3rd force' type of thing.

These guys would need to invest a bit - but maybe only like £1,000,000 a year to help build a strong squad of players of similar or slightly better quality to what we have. They would be looking for season tickets to build slowly to maybe 12,000 whereupon their investment might just start paying off. But why would they do it? Do we change our name, stadium, strip, etc Are we an advertising vehicle?

Not really a fan of either - I really like being independent pay as you go kind of guys. Would rather play in a league without Old Firm and be part of more fair contest :agree:

Anyone putting in a million quid a year wouldn't even cover our current annual loss.

ancient hibee
13-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Great question.

A million quid wouldn't cover our existing annual loss.

GlenrothesHibee
13-03-2013, 06:37 PM
I think it would take something away. If for instance we won the Scottish cup after somebody ploughed 200m in to us it wouldnt feel as good as it would if we were to win it this season.

In my opinion money has ruined football. Chelsea winning the Champions League says it all. I had a lot more respect for Man City when they were in the lower leagues playing infront of huge crowds at Main Road than i do for then "buying" the premiership title.

I would always be a hibs fan no matter what happened but id get a lot more out of a hard fought victory than a money induced tainted win.

Skanko79
13-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I think it would take something away. If for instance we won the Scottish cup after somebody ploughed 200m in to us it wouldnt feel as good as it would if we were to win it this season.

In my opinion money has ruined football. Chelsea winning the Champions League says it all. I had a lot more respect for Man City when they were in the lower leagues playing infront of huge crowds at Main Road than i do for then "buying" the premiership title.

I would always be a hibs fan no matter what happened but id get a lot more out of a hard fought victory than a money induced tainted win.

Fair enough i understand why you would think city "bought" the title. but for many a year leading up to that its been bought by the likes of man united, arsenal and chelsea.

rcarter1
13-03-2013, 06:54 PM
A million quid wouldn't cover our existing annual loss.

Fair enough, however a 'positive' take over of this type could stimulate season ticket interest, and £1,000,000 on top a few more seasons would give us enough lee way to bolster our squad to a useful extent. I agree it wouldnt guarentee third spot every year or whatever, but would make us that bit more competitive.

FWIW Im not a supporter of this type of model. Id rather a fan owned system.

Hibrandenburg
13-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Great question.

Scenario 3. Ex Russian submarine captain who needs a high turnover business to launder mafia money and cause us to go down the the plughole after his schemes go tits up.

lyonhibs
13-03-2013, 07:31 PM
If the person in question had serious money that they were actually willing to invest, then I'd be all for it.

If they had tuppence ha'penny (in reality) and planned to gain control of the majority of Hibs by saddling us with a massive wedge of debt, then they could - politely - get tae ****.

rcarter1
13-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Scenario 3. Ex Russian submarine captain who needs a high turnover business to launder mafia money and cause us to go down the the plughole after his schemes go tits up.

Scenario 4: Hibs fans start a collection for the view of saving up enough green to buy the club at some time in the future (has been discussed before?).

Love the Green
13-03-2013, 07:39 PM

It would certainly feel better than no winniong it for over 110 years especially as the jambo dogs have won it so often recently..

Tell me a successful team anywhere who have not had major financial input to help them win numerous trophies?

"keep the faith":agree:

The_Todd
13-03-2013, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't count Spurs in that list, they only made a loss of £4m odd last year, a drop in the ocean on EPL terms. When they're back in the CL next year I'd expect them to make a profit. Daniel Levy by no means throws cash around.

VickMackie
13-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Scenario 4: Hibs fans start a collection for the view of saving up enough green to buy the club at some time in the future (has been discussed before?).

Do you know what, that is an excellent idea.

If a trust were set up and hibs fans started to put money in now, even a few quid a month in 5, 10, 15 years or whatever the trust could build up millions to buy the club if we ever ended up like the yams.

We'd also have a much greater chance of saving the club if any future owner ****ed us up. Fair play to the yams for raising a million now to try and save their club but that's never going to be enough and it's probably similar to what we'd raise if we were in the ****.

heretoday
13-03-2013, 08:34 PM
They say no pain no gain. Well I've been supporting Hibs since 1963 and I've had enough pain thank you very much.

If some potentate was daft enough to buy Hibs I'd loov it. Sitting at my window watching all the open top processions would just sooth my old age fine!

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2013, 09:08 PM
technically speaking though we would have won the spl 5 times with a team we COULD afford as we would be minted :wink:

Actually, as I understand the FIFA financial fair play rules, we wouldn't be able to afford them.

Our wages:salary ratio would be well over the top, and we would be making massive trading losses, even if we could sell out ER every week.

It's this kind of scenario that the FFPR are trying to prevent.