PDA

View Full Version : Should Hibs give Riordan another chance? (merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Last Minute
12-03-2013, 12:47 PM
I wonder if deek would like to train with us then play for free ? as a thank you to the club and for all Hibs have done for him in the past.

Thoughts please :dunno:

Dashing Bob S
12-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I wonder if deek would like to train with us then play for free ? as a thank you to the club and for all Hibs have done for him in the past.

I think that we should get him and Garry O'C back, and then be pitching a reality TV sports show at some companies. 'Hibernian Rehab,' filmed on location by the treatment table at the training centre, and in George Street. It could be a money-spinner for the club.

Northernhibee
12-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Not a chance.

He's finished.

EdinMike
12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Was prowling George St. at the weekend so things haven't changed.

He's kinda turning into a modern day George Best, with half the talent.

12-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I thought I read on here a wee while ago that he has quite the game for good now?

I love Riordan, he was a great servant for the club and gave us some great memories but I think we have come to the end of the road with Deek i'm afraid. He's had two spells with us now so I don't think we should be going chasing him for a third time.

If Derek himself approached the club and asked to join in the training in order to try get himself back to a fit state again then I wouldn't turn him away and maybe if he really impressed Fenlon then fine but like I said I don't think we should be chasing after him for a third spell.

Wotherspiniesta
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RmDtQ1uc8B0/UQdDXHlBrKI/AAAAAAAAFtg/9HGx9CoV2rU/s400/facepalmhomer.jpg

Treadstone
12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Its over. Get over it.

Weir7
12-03-2013, 12:57 PM

I understand he asked and was told no. Big Gaz was told no to training facilities.

12-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Thats the reason I wouldn't even consider taking O'Conner back again. The lad clearly wont take a telling and grow up. Made the front pages more than the back and we don't need a troublemaker and someone with an over inflated ego in the dressing room, we have seen too many of them over the years!

Last Minute
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Not a chance.

He's finished.

Shame he's only 30, if he could just get himself fit and off the drink. was good what thomson has done, helps him and helps us. I know some fans are still angry with the way thomson left but we did get 2 million for him, where deek left us twice for nowt or next to nowt.

Don't understand why deek can't train now and through pre season and get fit ? what a waste

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
I think that we should get him and Garry O'C back, and then be pitching a reality TV sports show at some companies. 'Hibernian Rehab,' filmed on location by the treatment table at the training centre, and in George Street. It could be a money-spinner for the club.

:greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
12-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Thats the reason I wouldn't even consider taking O'Conner back again. The lad clearly wont take a telling and grow up. Made the front pages more than the back and we don't need a troublemaker and someone with an over inflated ego in the dressing room, we have seen too many of them over the years!

I think he was referring to Riordan.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Shame he's only 30, if he could just get himself fit and off the drink. was good what thomson has done, helps him and helps us. I know some fans are still angry with the way thomson left but we did get 2 million for him, where deek left us twice for nowt or next to nowt.

Don't understand why deek can't train now and through pre season and get fit ? what a waste

He's been refused training facilities by us so the club obviously have their reasons.

Though I accept he has ability in abundance he's not put in a performance for years. Since he's left us he's been binned by the Chinese lot, St Johnstone & league 2 Bristol Rovers. His career's over i think.

Phil D. Rolls
12-03-2013, 01:04 PM
He left Hibs because his salary was to be cut from 9k a week. He felt he had already done us a favour by dropping his salary when he came from Celtic. I don't think he'll play for free.

.Sean.
12-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Really sad how things have turned out for Riordan. My favourite player I've seen for Hibs

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:07 PM
He left Hibs because his salary was to be cut from 9k a week. He felt he had already done us a favour by dropping his salary when he came from Celtic. I don't think he'll play for free.

To be fair to Hibs his performances had dropped well below meriting £9k a week.

I'm not even sure we'd take him even if he was playing for free

12-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Really sad how things have turned out for Riordan. My favourite player I've seen for Hibs

:agree: Should of had a better career than he did.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:09 PM

In his first spell he was unbelievable. I'd never felt as confident in a derby since that spell. You always knew he was going to pull something out the bag for us:agree:

clerriehibs
12-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Blame mowbray for no money for riordan. Riordan would've signed a contract that would either have resulted in him staying or moving on for decent money. But no, that blether mowbray took the contract off the table so's he could have a longer look at the player. His right to do so, but his f#@k up.

Time For Heroes
12-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Please tell me you are kidding....
:confused:

Phil D. Rolls
12-03-2013, 01:20 PM
To be fair to Hibs his performances had dropped well below meriting £9k a week.

I'm not even sure we'd take him even if he was playing for free

I agree, and he hadn't been getting a game for Celtic, so Hibs paid him pretty decently. I don't think Rod would have him back.

Pretty Boy
12-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Just no.

Hibs and Riordan are over as a couple and rightly so.

Enjoy the memories but that's all they should be.

Phil D. Rolls
12-03-2013, 01:22 PM

Modern day Derek Johnstone more like.

silverhibee
12-03-2013, 01:33 PM

You sure about that. ?

Niffy
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Keith Houchen on a bonus deal only I heard.

lapsedhibee
12-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Keith Houchen on a bonus deal only I heard.

No thanks - he's 52!

EdinMike
12-03-2013, 01:43 PM
You sure about that. ?

Yup, work on G. Street. Was turned away.

Niffy
12-03-2013, 01:46 PM
No thanks - he's 52!

Is Kuki no' about that an aw ?

Broken Gnome
12-03-2013, 01:49 PM

The Green Goblin
12-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Personally, I wish him well - he gave me some of my best ever moments as a Hibs fan, but we should just leave it and him alone.

silverhibee
12-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Yup, work on G. Street. Was turned away.

What night was this.

silverhibee
12-03-2013, 02:15 PM

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Was anyone else prowling about the town at the weekend?

Keith_M
12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I take it this thread was meant as a joke.

If I'm wrong and it was meant to be serious.... I really do despair

Hainan Hibs
12-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Maybe we could get Justin Lee Collins to do one of his reunion shows and get the whole "golden generation" squad back together?

Broken Gnome
12-03-2013, 02:25 PM
:agree:

I'm still :confused: Really?!

Wow.

Phil D. Rolls
12-03-2013, 02:32 PM

Why you confused?

Phil D. Rolls
12-03-2013, 02:44 PM

Wow.

Impeccable source.

HibeeN
12-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Wow.

Me too! Not doubting anybody's word, just seems incredible that we'd be paying £9k a week on wages. Is this the norm for our top earners or was Riordan just a one-off special case?

Broken Gnome
12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Why you confused?

Because I could only have previously imagined Hibs paying anywhere near £9k a week for only one or maybe, at a stretch, two specific players. And both of those were over a decade ago.

Didn't even consider they'd offer that sort of money.

silverhibee
12-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Wow.

I was agreeing with you being confused about the figure being shown. :greengrin

.Sean.
12-03-2013, 02:56 PM
No way was he on anywhere near that.

Broken Gnome
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Ah.

Not sure whether I'm confused or no any more now :greengrin

silverhibee
12-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Ah.

Not sure whether I'm confused or no any more now :greengrin

I'm still confused. :agree: :greengrin

SlickShoes
12-03-2013, 03:24 PM

More wink wink nudge nudge ***** about your nephew as usual, popping up in threads giving no information and just actively trolling your fellow hibs fans, the sooner derek is done with football the better so we don't have to deal with this pish.

SteveHFC
12-03-2013, 03:25 PM
More wink wink nudge nudge ***** about your nephew as usual, popping up in threads giving no information and just actively trolling your fellow hibs fans, the sooner derek is done with football the better so we don't have to deal with this pish.

:rolleyes:

SlickShoes
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Naw, he was dire at the end of his last spell and seems to have got worse since then. Someone will take a risk on him but I hope it is not hibs.

The Modfather
12-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Questionable attitude, maturity, desire and profesionalisim. New Hibs, New Attitude we were told, no thanks!

yekimevol
12-03-2013, 03:51 PM
dont want him near a hibs team, wrong attitude. Could have been playing at top 10 EPL team if he had the right head on his shoulders.

weonlywon6-2
12-03-2013, 03:59 PM

He was never on nine grand a week,maybe a month,tops.Hibs have never paid that sort of money.hes not for hibs anymore.

Heisenberg
12-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Was a fantastic player for us, my favourite of recent times in fact. There's no chance we should even consider taking him back though, his time has been and gone.

Beefster
12-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Impeccable source.

If he really was on £9k a week (or even near it), which I find incredibly hard to believe, I would have been even more unhappy with his performances in his last season.

MWHIBBIES
12-03-2013, 04:06 PM
I'd be surprised if Riordan was on half of that.

The Sea-gull
12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Always amazes me how people come on and quote what players earn or did earn. Unless you are the player himself, know the player, an agent or are a relevant current or former club employee then how does anyone know.

I doubt many people who know the player actually know how much he earns. How many of us go around telling our family (outside maybe the wife and even then that is never fully disclosed!!!) and friends how much we earn?

Totally based on absolutely no insider knowledge, I doubt DR or any other Hibs player has ever earned £9k per week whilst at Hibs. He was maybe on £4 or 5k tops and even then that might be stretching it a bit.

As for the hints about two Hibs players getting around £9k a week in the past, I'm assuming this is Latapy and Sauzee. Again, all based on rumour and no concrete source, I seem to remember the figure of £7 or £8k getting banded about re Sauzee and there was a story that Latapy turned down £10k a week from Hibs circa 2000/2001 but not sure what he was on at the time. If the £10k a week stuff was true then thank christ he never accepted it or we'd be in an even worse state than we are now.

Anthony Stokes was reportedly on a high wage but rumours were that Hibs only paid a fraction of it with the rest being paid by sponsors. This makes his supposed money problems whilst at Hibs all the more baffling.

Broken Gnome
12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
As for the hints about two Hibs players getting around £9k a week in the past, I'm assuming this is Latapy and Sauzee. Again, all based on rumour and no concrete source, I seem to remember the figure of £7 or £8k getting banded about re Sauzee and there was a story that Latapy turned down £10k a week from Hibs circa 2000/2001 but not sure what he was on at the time. If the £10k a week stuff was true then thank christ he never accepted it or we'd be in an even worse state than we are now.

Yeah, that's the two I meant. And only on assumption.

Hibercelona
12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Am I the only one that gets the joke that Filled Rolls was making? :dunno:

It seems to have gone over everybody elses head.

Iceman1875
12-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Was DR even getting 9k a week at Celtic nevermind us? I reckon £2500 per week is more realistic with us in the second spell.

LeighLoyal
12-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Nowt wrong with training facilities surely. Is he a better forward than what we have except Griffiths, defo.

truehibernian
12-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Mmmm probably goes against the grain with some people here :rolleyes:, however can I post a positive Derek 'up the town' story - my 'nudge nudge' sources say Derek was out on derby day, having a enjoyable day with his brother, and there was a stramash for want of a better word near to where he was drinking - in Canonmillsshire no less - anyway, my 'nudger' tells me Derek was very much peacemaker, stayed out of any potential bother, was sober, and indeed, was a model citizen compared to other 'fans'.

Pretty Boy
12-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Was it not rumoured that Celtic were paying a decent wedge of DRs wage? At least in his 1st season back.

500miles
12-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I think Derek Riordan is so far past it, he would have to pay us to get a game.

HibeeN
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Am I the only one that gets the joke that Filled Rolls was making? :dunno:

It seems to have gone over everybody elses head.

It would seem so :greengrin What was the joke?

Pete
12-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Mmmm probably goes against the grain with some people here :rolleyes:, however can I post a positive Derek 'up the town' story - my 'nudge nudge' sources say Derek was out on derby day, having a enjoyable day with his brother, and there was a stramash for want of a better word near to where he was drinking - in Canonmillsshire no less - anyway, my 'nudger' tells me Derek was very much peacemaker, stayed out of any potential bother, was sober, and indeed, was a model citizen compared to other 'fans'.

All that baseless posts like this do is ruin the man's reputation. Delete please.

truehibernian
12-03-2013, 05:47 PM
All that baseless posts like this do is ruin the man's reputation. Delete please.

Eh no - Derek was not 'turned away' from George Street as was pointed out according to those I know - far from it, he was well behaved, not near there, and commended by someone I know for his mature attitude. Baseless - have a word eh :confused:

Was actually sticking up for Derek mate, so there :na na:

Saorsa
12-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Eh no - Derek was not 'turned away' from George Street as was pointed out according to those I know - far from it, he was well behaved, not near there, and commended by someone I know for his mature attitude. Baseless - have a word eh :confused:

Was actually sticking up for Derek mate, so there :na na:Bit of a whoosh moment?

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies/whooshg.gif

Pete
12-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Was actually sticking up for Derek mate, so there :na na:

We really need a sarcasm smiley. it's time! :-)

PopsicleManTony
12-03-2013, 05:56 PM
My favourite player of all time, would love him back, can score from anywhere. Although i think hes finished and wont play football for another team again.

truehibernian
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM

:greengrin:aok: I'll happily take the 'Homer Simpson Award' - sorry bud :hug:

Saorsa
12-03-2013, 06:00 PM

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r623/JDPH1875/smilies%202/sarcasm_zps560cbc62.gif

Hibrandenburg
12-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Riorden out, Sparky in.

WeAreHibs
12-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Please tell me you are kidding....

I hope he is joking, nowhere near half the talent!

Hibernia&Alba
12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Such a shame his demons prevented his reaching his potential. It's a kind of 'George Best lite' story. So much talent and goalscoring ability, he could have played at a much higher level and was the most naturally gifted Hibs player I've seen thus far. I'm sure he'll look back with regret at wasted time in his older years.

silverhibee
12-03-2013, 07:08 PM

What are you slavering about. :aok:

EdinMike
12-03-2013, 07:13 PM
What night was this.

Sorry for the late reply I wanna say Friday. Most nights kinda merge into one when you work weekends.

EdinMike
12-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I hope he is joking, nowhere near half the talent!

Are we seriously gonna argue over fractions or turn of phrases here ?!

A quarter !? Is that more accurate ? Point being he is still the idiot he was years ago, and hasn't matured.

lord bunberry
12-03-2013, 09:17 PM
It always amazes me how so many people love to stick the boot in were deeks is concerned but its considered not hibs class if anyone has a go at any of our other former players. The guy lived the dream of playing for the team he supported and he gave us so many happy memories, that's how I remember him

Jonnyboy
12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
It always amazes me how so many people love to stick the boot in were deeks is concerned but its considered not hibs class if anyone has a go at any of our other former players. The guy lived the dream of playing for the team he supported and he gave us so many happy memories, that's how I remember him

This

heretoday
12-03-2013, 10:15 PM
I take it he didn't set Bristol alight then?

It really is a shame how he's wasted himself. Could have done anything but chose to do nothing.

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I take it he didn't set Bristol alight then?

It really is a shame how he's wasted himself. Could have done anything but chose to do nothing.

Scoring over 100 goals for Hibs is certainly not nothing in my book, cant see the problem with him not playing football now? And he certainly does not deserve abuse for not playing, he's not hurting anyone is he? :confused:

Scottie
12-03-2013, 10:33 PM

:agree: :top marks

Dr Jimmy
12-03-2013, 10:45 PM

Couldn't agree more. People should never forget he could actually do brilliant Things in games. He is one of the few players in recent years that can have you leaping out of your seat with a flash of brilliance.
Let's remember the player we had, who is a die hard hibby, forget all the pantomime around him and respect his legacy.

cocopops1875
12-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Derek Riordan ate my hamster :agree:

Dashing Bob S
12-03-2013, 11:17 PM
I think Derek Riordan is so far past it, he would have to pay us to get a game.

He's lost none of his ability to generate a multi page thread every couple of months, full of the same *****. Apart from that...

Aldo
13-03-2013, 12:07 AM
A LEGEND if you ask me however it saddens me to say it but Deek will never play 1st team football for Hibernian again.

Beefster
13-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Scoring over 100 goals for Hibs is certainly not nothing in my book, cant see the problem with him not playing football now? And he certainly does not deserve abuse for not playing, he's not hurting anyone is he? :confused:

You can't see the problem with possibly the most naturally gifted Scottish player of his generation effectively giving up the game at 28 for non-injury reasons?

Kris1875
13-03-2013, 06:56 AM
When I met him he was a top bloke was more than happy to listen to me going on and on about Hibs to him . Came across a really nice guy , shame things ended as they did and things haven't quite worked out for him since .

Will never forget the moments of brilliance I had the pleasure of seeing , hope he gets himself a club soon .

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2013, 08:44 AM
You can't see the problem with possibly the most naturally gifted Scottish player of his generation effectively giving up the game at 28 for non-injury reasons?

It has nothing to do with me, he can do whatever he wants with his life. I remember his goals with fondness, he played he scored he contributed to one of our best recent teams. 100 goals scored is a great record to have, and it will take a very special player to get anywhere near that again.

Do you hear him moaning he's not playing, does he claim he's not getting a chance at any club? No the only folk who are moaning are folk who have never had the ability he had, and folk who claim he could have had it all, played for a top team in England.

And this is part of the reason there are threads like this, he was never good enough for top English clubs, they would have eaten him up. Far too slow, far too slight, and he never was the bravest. He'd have been a passenger in the EPL, and found out very quickly.

He was a very good SPL player, who did a terrific job for the best part of 10 years in that league. We have a habit of elevating some players to a level they are nowhere near, then when they dont hit the heights of these unreasonable expectations they are suddenly wasters or wasted their talent. In Riordans case imo he was never at any level much better than the SPL,and certainly NEVER an EPL player.

If he never kicks another ball again it wouldn't bother me one bit, as once he moved on he was not a Hibs player, but i will still remember his goals with fondness.

WellingtonHibby
13-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Poor man's Sparky. Fact. Etc ..

silverhibee
13-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Sorry for the late reply I wanna say Friday. Most nights kinda merge into one when you work weekends.

Sorry for the late reply but you never seen him at the weekend, as he was no where near George Street at the weekend, especially Friday. :aok:

steakbake
13-03-2013, 12:32 PM
He's lost none of his ability to generate a multi page thread every couple of months, full of the same *****. Apart from that...

Probably the most accurate comment on the whole thread...

Leishy1995
13-03-2013, 12:44 PM
If he returned again I'd feel let down. He's not going to take the opponents to the sword like sparky. I'd question if he'd put effort in this time round.

The Modfather
13-03-2013, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE He was a very good SPL player, who did a terrific job for the best part of 10 years in that league. We have a habit of elevating some players to a level they are nowhere near, then when they dont hit the heights of these unreasonable expectations they are suddenly wasters or wasted their talent. In Riordans case imo he was never at any level much better than the SPL,and certainly NEVER an EPL player.QUOTE]

In his career he has scored just over 100 SPL goals, on the list alongside a certain Colin Nish. Won 1 league title, with 16 appearances and four goals, and one Scottish cup as an unused substitute, and 3 Scotland caps.

By far more than I could ever achieve, but not sure I would class that as a "terrific job for the best part of 10 years".

Sean Maloney is of a similiar build to Riordan. He's clearly worked on his strength and fitness and is now an important player for Wigan. Riordan could definitely have played, and done quite well, in the bottom half of the Premiership if he'd been prepared to put in the work.

--------
13-03-2013, 12:54 PM

This

Yup - in his first spell with us DR was a wonderful player who gave us all sorts of good memories to treasure. His second spell started promisingly, but fell away sadly.

FWIW I will hold certain memories of both Deek and Garry O for as long as I have a memory, but the idea of having them back as our main strikers? No chance. Deek it seems (sadly) is no longer anything like the player he once was, and Garry O is carrying the sort of baggage that frankly I don't wish to see at Easter Road - besides, that baggage makes it extremely unlikely that he would be in a fit state to be effective throughout a season, and that's providing he managed to stay out of serious trouble with the law.

There are times when we complain about some of our players not demonstrating an appetite for the game and criticise their lack of a real 'work ethic'. I cannot see how the presence of O'Connor and Riordan at East Mains would help PF and his staff to address those issues.

Leishy1995
13-03-2013, 12:57 PM
The Colin Nish reference above, Stokes has overtaken Nish now.

Edit, would seem nish has overtaken someone. With his what one goal this year?

Paisley Hibby
13-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Those as old as me will remember when Alex Miller took a chance on Jim Leighton. Prior to that he was all washed up but became a brillant player again with us. Given Riorden's age I can't help wondering if he could do the same. But then I remember that Leighton was a model professional and the same could never be said of Deek. A brilliant player but inadequate in almost all other respects. What a waste!

Oh and for those suggesting we give GOC another chance, whatever else he has done, he totally burnt his bridges by going out on the lash after last seasons cup final.

--------
13-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Those as old as me will remember when Alex Miller took a chance on Jim Leighton. Prior to that he was all washed up but became a brillant player again with us. Given Riorden's age I can't help wondering if he could do the same. But then I remember that Leighton was a model professional and the same could never be said of Deek. A brilliant player but inadequate in almost all other respects. What a waste!

Oh and for those suggesting we give GOC another chance, whatever else he has done, he totally burnt his bridges by going out on the lash after last seasons cup final.

I remember Alex being asked about the Leighton signing in exactly those terms - why was he taking a chance on a goalie whose career had taken such a downturn. IIRC his response was that Leighton's ability wasn't in doubt, and that he was certain JL would be worth at least 15 points to Hibs in the coming season. (That was in the days of 2 points for a win.) If anything 15 points was a decided underestimate.

As you say, Jim was a model professional - not something I would accuse Deek of being, ever - and his main problem was that having been treated very badly by Alex Ferguson he had had the misfortune to find himself at Dundee under the "management" of Duff Jimmy. it was his confidence that was the problem, not his fitness, ability or attitude.

That said, if Deek were to get himself match-fit, and screw the nut the way Griffiths is doing - work in progress, true, but definitely progress - I would be a lot more prepared to give him another chance than O'Connor. I don't ever want to GOC back at ER - not ever.

jacomo
13-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Sean Maloney is of a similiar build to Riordan. He's clearly worked on his strength and fitness and is now an important player for Wigan. Riordan could definitely have played, and done quite well, in the bottom half of the Premiership if he'd been prepared to put in the work.

That's a decent comparison. I think Riordan could have gone further in the game if he had applied himself better. At the time everyone blamed Strachan for his failure at Celtic, but I am not sure this holds true.

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2013, 05:28 PM
That's a decent comparison. I think Riordan could have gone further in the game if he had applied himself better. At the time everyone blamed Strachan for his failure at Celtic, but I am not sure this holds true.

I disagree, Maloney is a busy player always on the move who uses a trick and a bit of pace to beat players and score. Riordan never had any pace, used his positional sense to get in the right positions and had a lethal shot with either foot.

jacomo
13-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I disagree, Maloney is a busy player always on the move who uses a trick and a bit of pace to beat players and score. Riordan never had any pace, used his positional sense to get in the right positions and had a lethal shot with either foot.

They are not exactly the same player, but both have slight builds and good technical ability. One has proved themselves capable of English Premiership football, I think the other one could have too. That is the point I was making.

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2013, 05:51 PM
They are not exactly the same player, but both have slight builds and good technical ability. One has proved themselves capable of English Premiership football, I think the other one could have too. That is the point I was making.

I have never had the opinion that Deek could play EPL football.

147lothian
13-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Deek was an unbelievable tallent before he went west, I dont think he will be able to capture the same form, but then, I never thought sproule could do it so maybe its worth taking a chance on him, if he can produce anything like he did in the past, it can only benefit the team,

clerriehibs
13-03-2013, 07:30 PM

I went out on the lash too ... sorry about that.

Steve-O
13-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Pretty sure he did have pace at one time - go watch the highlights of that 2-0 'unbeatable' game v Hearts, he's running around everywhere pretty quickly for someone with no pace!

Agree that it's now gone though.

The Green Goblin
13-03-2013, 09:28 PM

My reaction too. Just let it go. He was one of the best ever for us in his day - but there's no need to flog this particular horse any more: it's well and truly dead.

sahib
13-03-2013, 10:27 PM
My reaction too. Just let it go. He was one of the best ever for us in his day - but there's no need to flog this particular horse any more: it's well and truly dead.

If Deek returns I will eat a plate of beans on toast in tribute.

Pete
14-03-2013, 02:39 AM
I went out on the lash too ... sorry about that.

I bet your disrespect even stretched as far as smiling once or twice. Disgraceful!
People forget that everyone is different and they have their own way of dealing with bad situations and it also takes varying amounts of time for things to sink in.

It's not going to happen but I would take a fit Garry back right now. Forget everything else and think of the goals we need from now until the end of the season...and Leigh would benefit big time!

IWasThere2016
14-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Fit I'd take both back. I like Doyle but he's no Deeks or GO'C. I worry about Sparky getting an injury..

Since90+2
14-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Derek Riordan is finished.

He will never play top level football again. Time to move on.

LeighLoyal
14-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Derek Riordan is finished.

He will never play top level football again. Time to move on.

I don't know that and you certainly don't.

Since90+2
14-03-2013, 09:10 AM
I don't know that and you certainly don't.

I think if you look at the facts instead of some nostalgic rubbish then its quite obvious.

He has scored 1 goal in his last 24 matches and that was in the Chinese League. He has failed to score in his last 15 matches playing in the SPL and League 2.

Shaanxi ended his contract after 4 months , St Johnstone never extended his deal after 2 months and Bristol Rovers (who finished 13th in League 2 last year) released his after 3 months.

The guy is finished as a top level player and the facts support that.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2013, 09:34 AM
I think if you look at the facts instead of some nostalgic rubbish then its quite obvious.

He has scored 1 goal in his last 24 matches and that was in the Chinese League. He has failed to score in his last 15 matches playing in the SPL and League 2.

Shaanxi ended his contract after 4 months , St Johnstone never extended his deal after 2 months and Bristol Rovers (who finished 13th in League 2 last year) released his after 3 months.

The guy is finished as a top level player and the facts support that.

I love it that so many folk seem to love telling us he's finished? :rolleyes:

Iain G
14-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I love it that so many folk seem to love telling us he's finished? :rolleyes:

Pretty much looks that way though doesn't it? Would take a miraculous change in fortune and a huge shift in attitude and a real desire to prove everyone wrong by Riordan to change that opinion now :agree:

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Pretty much looks that way though doesn't it? Would take a miraculous change in fortune and a huge shift in attitude and a real desire to prove everyone wrong by Riordan to change that opinion now :agree:

Why are we so worried about it, Derek does not seem that bothered? If he never kicks another ball he will still have scored over 100 goals for HibS, I will remember him for what he's done, not what he hasnt done.

TrinityHibs
14-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I bet your disrespect even stretched as far as smiling once or twice. Disgraceful!
People forget that everyone is different and they have their own way of dealing with bad situations and it also takes varying amounts of time for things to sink in.

It's not going to happen but I would take a fit Garry back right now. Forget everything else and think of the goals we need from now until the end of the season...and Leigh would benefit big time!

Derek Riordan and Leigh Griffiths are quite similar. Both have low key off field issues and both are blessed with a footbal talent that gets you off your seat. At the age of 22 their scoring statistics are very similar in games/goal. Deeks was playing in one of the best Hibs teams we have seen in recent years and Leigh was playing in one of the worst. Both players are never happier than when they are moaning. However Leigh Griffith's work ethic is dramatically better than Derek's. Right now I would say that Sparky has the potential to be a better player than Derek but time will tell. Wouldnt mind if DR turned up at East Mains but I do think that ship has sailed. Deeks scored a goal in every 2.5 games Sparky is currently scoring a goal in every 2.06 games.

GOC scored a few memorable goals for Hibs and his best season was in 2004/5 when he scored 20 goals in 45 games. (Deeks scored 23 goals in 44 games the same season) O'Connor has a host of real off field issues which I think impacted on the second half of last season. You cannot compare GOC with the other two as his goal scoring stats sit at 1 goal in every 3.5 games. The nearest comparison I found on Wikipedia was Eoin Doyle who is sitting at 1 goal in every 3.6!!!!! Not sure that the facts match the green tinted nostalgia of Garry's proficiency in front of goal. I wouldnt let him near the squad.

LeighLoyal
14-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Why are we so worried about it, Derek does not seem that bothered? If he never kicks another ball he will still have scored over 100 goals for HibS, I will remember him for what he's done, not what he hasnt done.

If Kuqi can get a contract so should Deek. One of our own after all and has never failed at us to score a goal.

lucky
14-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Deeks has had time at ER. Time for both parties to move on.

Sudds_1
14-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Deeks has had time at ER. Time for both parties to move on.sums it up nicely.

Captain Trips
14-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Thomson out, deeks in :)

SMAXXA
14-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I can't believe there is another thread on this, its all been said before.......move on.

clerriehibs
14-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Derek Riordan and Leigh Griffiths are quite similar. Both have low key off field issues and both are blessed with a footbal talent that gets you off your seat. At the age of 22 their scoring statistics are very similar in games/goal. Deeks was playing in one of the best Hibs teams we have seen in recent years and Leigh was playing in one of the worst. Both players are never happier than when they are moaning. However Leigh Griffith's work ethic is dramatically better than Derek's. Right now I would say that Sparky has the potential to be a better player than Derek but time will tell. Wouldnt mind if DR turned up at East Mains but I do think that ship has sailed. Deeks scored a goal in every 2.5 games Sparky is currently scoring a goal in every 2.06 games.

GOC scored a few memorable goals for Hibs and his best season was in 2004/5 when he scored 20 goals in 45 games. (Deeks scored 23 goals in 44 games the same season) O'Connor has a host of real off field issues which I think impacted on the second half of last season. You cannot compare GOC with the other two as his goal scoring stats sit at 1 goal in every 3.5 games. The nearest comparison I found on Wikipedia was Eoin Doyle who is sitting at 1 goal in every 3.6!!!!! Not sure that the facts match the green tinted nostalgia of Garry's proficiency in front of goal. I wouldnt let him near the squad.

Forget the stats - rugby's scott johnson has a good analogy about stats and bikinis.

GOC has issuea, and prob shouldn't be back playing with us, ever. But to compare his ratio with doyle's is pointless. GOC could terrorise defences, and that gives the fans a buzz which feeds back to the team ... Doyle never will.

CraigHibee
14-03-2013, 01:40 PM
i thank derek for his time at easter road, he was amazing the first time around, not as good the second time around, not sure if he would have anything to offer us this time.

i wish him well and hope that he manages to get his career back on track.

jacomo
14-03-2013, 01:44 PM
I have never had the opinion that Deek could play EPL football.

Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion - and this one is impossible to prove wrong now!

Leishy1995
14-03-2013, 01:52 PM
You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.

Derek doesn't need to become the villain.

Sauzee92
14-03-2013, 05:06 PM
You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.

Derek doesn't need to become the villain.

Easy Batman

LeighLoyal
30-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Thought I'd bump this thread because after watching us today I'm pretty sure Riordan could have made a difference there vs ICT in a vital game that went away from us. Why the eff we haven't taken back Riordan I don't know. Has contributed to costing us top six.

Andy74
30-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Thought I'd bump this thread because after watching us today I'm pretty sure Riordan could have made a difference there vs ICT in a vital game that went away from us. Why the eff we haven't taken back Riordan I don't know. Has contributed to costing us top six.

Eh?

MSK
30-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Thought I'd bump this thread because after watching us today I'm pretty sure Riordan could have made a difference there vs ICT in a vital game that went away from us. Why the eff we haven't taken back Riordan I don't know. Has contributed to costing us top six.Wtf are you slavering aboot !!!!! :confused:

Big Sexy Dave
30-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Remind me what he did at St Johnstone or why Killie or Ross County never signed him when he was on trial at both? sadly he's more interested in the ale than the fitba.

SteveHFC
30-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Get Riordan back for the rest of the season :agree:

LeighLoyal
30-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Wtf are you slavering aboot !!!!! :confused:

I'm saying Riordan should be back at Hibs and we're the lesser for his absence.

WTF is hard to understand about that? :confused: Numpties are slaughtering Doyle, well there is a guy better than Doyle.

MSK
30-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Get Riordan back for the rest of the season :agree:You been on the glug Stevie ?

SteveHFC
30-03-2013, 07:02 PM
You been on the glug Stevie ?

Maybe :wink: :greengrin

MSK
30-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm saying Riordan should be back at Hibs and we're the lesser for his absence.

WTF is hard to understand about that? :confused: Numpties are slaughtering Doyle, well there is a guy better than Doyle.Naw you are at the wind up ..Riordan has done what in the last 3 seasons ?...

patch1875
30-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Man the panic stations:idiot:

Alfred E Newman
30-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Even if he had been out on the lash last night he would have been no worse than some of those on show today.

MSK
30-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Man the panic stations:idiot:Riordan will help us oot ...gonna get in & spread fear throughout Scottish football defences when he unleashes his talent ..:agree:

gillythehibby
30-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Here's the thing. Half the threads on this site over the last few seasons are always the same thing. "players not working hard enough" "Not enough effort" "attitude of players stinks" "I would rather have a player who gave 100%" blah blah blah and same old crap like that. Tell you what. I couldn't give 2 hoots if DR or GOC or whoever was up George St every ****in night. A winning team on the pitch is about talent and they've got things we could do with right now. forget about headless ****in chickens who are willing to run all day go to bed early and behave. Question is Have they got the raw ability to make a difference on the pitch? If not then Get THEM to fk. Yer man Doyle for example is a good guy and a trier, but he's not good enough for Hibs and that sticks out a mile. I'd rather have Derek any day. It's about how you manage him. Quality is what wins matches, not goody 2 shoes triers with a good attitude.

LeighLoyal
30-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Even if he had been out on the lash last night he would have been no worse than some of those on show today.

Exactly. Please bring back Derek. I don't care about his short stints in China, St Johnstone, or Bristol bloody Rovers. He's a Hibs legend, only 30, and still has something to offer. Fenlon, sort it xxxxing out. Kuqi FFS! :confused: We're bottom six AGAIN.

MSK
30-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Exactly. Please bring back Derek. I don't care about his short stints in China, St Johnstone, or Bristol bloody Rovers. He's a Hibs legend, only 30, and still has something to offer. Fenlon, sort it xxxxing out. Kuqi FFS! :confused: We're bottom six AGAIN.Which he done the square route of **** all !!!! so all of a sudden he will be a world beater ...put the drink doon man ffs ...:faf:

gillythehibby
30-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Which he done the square route of **** all !!!! so all of a sudden he will be a world beater ...put the drink doon man ffs ...:faf:

Is he better than some we have at the moment tho ??

Wilson
30-03-2013, 07:19 PM

No?

LeighLoyal
30-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Which he done the square route of **** all !!!! so all of a sudden he will be a world beater ...put the drink doon man ffs ...:faf:

He has never failed in a Hibs shirt and another two guys have agreed with me, so maybe you are oan the bevvy?! :agree: I need a bevvy after watching Eoin, touch like a Samoan bricklayer, Doyle.

Forza Fred
30-03-2013, 07:20 PM
It has nothing to do with me, he can do whatever he wants with his life. I remember his goals with fondness, he played he scored he contributed to one of our best recent teams. 100 goals scored is a great record to have, and it will take a very special player to get anywhere near that again.

Do you hear him moaning he's not playing, does he claim he's not getting a chance at any club? No the only folk who are moaning are folk who have never had the ability he had, and folk who claim he could have had it all, played for a top team in England.

And this is part of the reason there are threads like this, he was never good enough for top English clubs, they would have eaten him up. Far too slow, far too slight, and he never was the bravest. He'd have been a passenger in the EPL, and found out very quickly.

He was a very good SPL player, who did a terrific job for the best part of 10 years in that league. We have a habit of elevating some players to a level they are nowhere near, then when they dont hit the heights of these unreasonable expectations they are suddenly wasters or wasted their talent. In Riordans case imo he was never at any level much better than the SPL,and certainly NEVER an EPL player.

If he never kicks another ball again it wouldn't bother me one bit, as once he moved on he was not a Hibs player, but i will still remember his goals with fondness.

Agree with most of this.

Deeks was a fine HIbs and SPL player, and I am thankful for his contribution to the team I support.

I met him once and he was a top bloke.

He is no longer a player - and as such can get about whatever business he now likes, without me criticising him for what he currently does...its his life.

He is an ex player now - and deserves the respect I believe an ex players should get.

Thanks for the happy memories Deeks.

Jones28
30-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Again? Really? Ffs

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2013, 07:23 PM

No disrespect to Deek who I have nothing but admiration for his contribution to Hibs, but if you think he's the answer and better than what we currently have then we are in serious trouble.

MSK
30-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Is he better than some we have at the moment tho ??If he was he would have a club wouldnt he ..?...

Beefster
30-03-2013, 07:38 PM
An unfit Riordan lumbering about in that team would just add insult to injury.

Onceinawhile
30-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Apparently signing for boness united according to the rumour mill...

Hibernia Na Eir
30-03-2013, 08:55 PM

I presume 'bump' is the new buzz word?!!

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2013, 08:58 PM
He has never failed in a Hibs shirt and another two guys have agreed with me, so maybe you are oan the bevvy?! :agree: I need a bevvy after watching Eoin, touch like a Samoan bricklayer, Doyle.

Sadly you're wrong!

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Remind me what he did at St Johnstone or why Killie or Ross County never signed him when he was on trial at both? sadly he's more interested in the ale than the fitba.

Spends a lot of time in Kilmarnock alehouses does he? Or maybe you spend a lot of time in Edinburgh alehouses as you are clearly aware of Derek's drinking habits :bitchy:

Why Samoan?

MSK
30-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Spends a lot of time in Kilmarnock alehouses does he? Or maybe you spend a lot of time in Edinburgh alehouses as you are clearly aware of Derek's drinking habits :bitchy:

Why Samoan?Have you ever seen a Samoan brickie playing football ? ...:greengrin

silverhibee
30-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Why Samoan?

Starting to wonder how many Derek Riordan's there is J.

Supposedly prowling George Street a couple of weeks ago when infact he was sitting in his house.

Now causing chaos in Kilmarnock pubs.

No doubt he will be spotted tonight throwing bouncers about the place up town.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Have you ever seen a Samoan brickie playing football ? ...:greengrin

Nope, have you ever seen a footballer laying bricks in Samoa? :na na: :greengrin

MSK
30-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Supposedly prowling George Street a couple of weeks ago when infact he was sitting in his house.

No doubt he will be spotted tonight throwing bouncers about the place up town.Too far Silv ...:greengrin

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 09:19 PM

:greengrin

DaveF
30-03-2013, 09:20 PM

The canadian version seems to be a fruitcake as well :wink: :greengrin

http://www.derekriordan.com/Home

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 09:23 PM

:faf:

ChooseLife
30-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Sadly you're wrong!
I wouldn't say he was wrong, Riordan has had a good scoring ratio anytime he's played for us, much better than Doyle, he's failed anywhere he's gone besides Hibs imo.

LeighLoyal
30-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Why Samoan?

Do I need to add words, too? Okay, these guys might look big and scary but they're actually quite dainty with a bag of cement.

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Samoans.jpg

silverhibee
30-03-2013, 09:32 PM

:faf:

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't say he was wrong, Riordan has had a good scoring ratio anytime he's played for us, much better than Doyle, he's failed anywhere he's gone besides Hibs imo.

I'm well aware of what Deek has contributed to Hibs and was in no way slagging him off. I was referring to the fact that Deek was a shadow of his former self before he left and didn't do himself justice in a Hibs shirt. To suggest he could turn back the clock now is ridiculous IMO.

Jonnyboy
30-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Do I need to add words, too? Okay, these guys might look big and scary but they're actually quite dainty with a bag of cement.

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Samoans.jpg

I understood the words just fine thanks. It's why you used them that left me puzzled. Is there an international league table of bricklayers I can study so as to see where the Samoans sit and whether they're Hibs class? :greengrin

lenny leith
30-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't know Derek but there was a very good 2 page article on Derek in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago.
Derek explained that he is desperate to get back into football and would love to come back to Hibs.
He was offered a chance with Ian Murray at Dumbarton but decided against it.
He talked about the problems he has had in the past with bouncers etc and was very truthfull when it came to explaining the problems he has had. The lad sounds like he is now settled with a young family and is keen to get back into the game. I only ever spoke with him briefly after a game and he came across as a very decent lad. Perhaps we judge too easily and believe what the papers say without ever really knowing the other side of the story.

After watching that rubbish today, I'd take an unfit Riordan supporting Griffiths up front as opposed to Doyle any day of the week.
Riordan back as a squad player may not be as mad as some think.

Just my thoughts.

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't know Derek but there was a very good 2 page article on Derek in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago.
Derek explained that he is desperate to get back into football and would love to come back to Hibs.
He was offered a chance with Ian Murray at Dumbarton but decided against it.
He talked about the problems he has had in the past with bouncers etc and was very truthfull when it came to explaining the problems he has had. The lad sounds like he is now settled with a young family and is keen to get back into the game. I only ever spoke with him briefly after a game and he came across as a very decent lad. Perhaps we judge too easily and believe what the papers say without ever really knowing the other side of the story.

After watching that rubbish today, I'd take an unfit Riordan supporting Griffiths up front as opposed to Doyle any day of the week.
Riordan back as a squad player may not be as mad as some think.

Just my thoughts.

Smacks of desperation on your part and not the way forward IMO

cabbageandribs1875
30-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Why Samoan?

maybe because he thinks they live in slums just like us poor west lothian slum-dwellers :boo hoo: :wink:

hibs4thecup1988
31-03-2013, 12:10 AM
REmember Riordan didn't try...he didn't pass...so what if he scored goals... :rolleyes:

The thought of a fit Riordan alongside Griffiths makes me go weak at the knees

Beefster
31-03-2013, 12:18 AM
REmember Riordan didn't try...he didn't pass...so what if he scored goals... :rolleyes:

The thought of a fit Riordan alongside Griffiths makes me go weak at the knees

The thought of a young Pat Stanton playing beside a young Franck Sauzee makes me weak at the knees. Isn't going to happen though.

hibs4thecup1988
31-03-2013, 12:54 AM
The thought of a young Pat Stanton playing beside a young Franck Sauzee makes me weak at the knees. Isn't going to happen though.

Bit different, your two are unrealistic...my two are realistic.

I agree with your last sentence however, sad, but true

weecounty hibby
31-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Bit different, your two are unrealistic...my two are realistic.

I agree with your last sentence however, sad, but true

It's not realistic though really is it. He has completely failed at two SPL clubs, an English div 2 side and a Chinese club since his time here. It would be a Hibs strip he would be wearing not a Superman cape so why would he suddenly become the young Deek again?
The only knee jerk reaction that could be bigger than this stupid suggestion would be one calling for the managers head

Eyrie
31-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Too many posters have misty eyed memories of when Riordan was scoring regularly for us and forget that he has struggled in the last couple of years. Thanks for the memories, but I only want to see him back at Easter Road as a fan.

SMAXXA
31-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Too many posters have misty eyed memories of when Riordan was scoring regularly for us and forget that he has struggled in the last couple of years. Thanks for the memories, but I only want to see him back at Easter Road as a fan.

Yep

The constant regurgitating of this thread is embarrassing, its finished, move on. Definitely not coming back and neither should he.

Stantons Angel
31-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Why are we spending so much time on this thread with this notion that Riordan will ever return in a Hibs strip?

Yes he was a hero in both his stints here, each time Hibs reared him and he gave the goods in terms of goals. He had the supporters in raptures and equally frustrated in his laziness on the field.

Both times Hibs offered him new contracts and both times he refused, he knew better and thought he was better and left Hibs BOTH times!

He left for the money each time! Did he better himself any where he was ? NO!!!

His influence on the younger players in the dressing room and his reputation off field where not what Hibs needed or wanted.

He went off to the far east when we all knew he wouldnt settle. It took him all his time to find his way to Princes Street without his minders, how was he going to find his way in a foreign country?

In MY opinion he had his chance and Hibs cant do any more for him. Doesnt it tell you something when they wont even give him training facilities?

Lets put this post to bed now and concentrate on supporting the team we have towards that top 6 place and the SCOTTISH CUP FINAL

Northernhibee
31-03-2013, 11:31 AM
A failed league two reject is the last thing we need in our team right now.

Big Sexy Dave
31-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Spends a lot of time in Kilmarnock alehouses does he? Or maybe you spend a lot of time in Edinburgh alehouses as you are clearly aware of Derek's drinking habits

Would you like me to post more than one link from the papers about Deeks getting into trouble when he's drunk?

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Would you like me to post more than one link from the papers about Deeks getting into trouble when he's drunk?

Yes I would, go ahead let's see them.

Big Sexy Dave
31-03-2013, 05:40 PM

I never said he was causing chaos in Kilmarnock pubs, if you read my post you'll see I said he was on trial at Kilmarnock and Ross County.

Big Sexy Dave
31-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Yes I would, go ahead let's see them.

http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/ex-hibs-star-derek-riordan-fined-800-for-homophobic-abuse-1-2653655 (http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/ex-hibs-star-derek-riordan-fined-800-for-homophobic-abuse-1-2653655http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/derek-riordan-i-want-to-move-somewhere-1107259http://www.scotsman.com/news/hibs-star-derek-riordan-knocked-back-from-nightclub-for-the-third-time-1-1277499) http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/derek-riordan-i-want-to-move-somewhere-1107259 http://www.scotsman.com/news/hibs-star-derek-riordan-knocked-back-from-nightclub-for-the-third-time-1-1277499 (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/derek-riordan-i-want-to-move-somewhere-1107259) as well as the in-famous Skacel video, I'd love nothing better than Deeks to come back an rip the SPL a new ********.Sadly it won't happen.

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2013, 05:47 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/ex-hibs-star-derek-riordan-fined-800-for-homophobic-abuse-1-2653655 (http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-evening-news/latest-news/ex-hibs-star-derek-riordan-fined-800-for-homophobic-abuse-1-2653655http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/derek-riordan-i-want-to-move-somewhere-1107259http://www.scotsman.com/news/hibs-star-derek-riordan-knocked-back-from-nightclub-for-the-third-time-1-1277499) http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/derek-riordan-i-want-to-move-somewhere-1107259 http://www.scotsman.com/news/hibs-star-derek-riordan-knocked-back-from-nightclub-for-the-third-time-1-1277499 (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/derek-riordan-i-want-to-move-somewhere-1107259) as well as the in-famous Skacel video, I'd love nothing better than Deeks to come back an rip the SPL a new ********.Sadly it won't happen.

Oh FFS I thought you were going to come up with something new in Kilmarnock!

Scouse Hibee
31-03-2013, 06:16 PM
I take it that's a no then?

essexhibee
31-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Why did he turn down the chance to play at Dumbarton? Very strange.

LeighLoyal
31-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Why did he turn down the chance to play at Dumbarton? Very strange.

Can't believe it either. Why would a twenty goal a season spl man not want to strut his stuff at the Bet Butler stadia. Strange indeed.

Wotherspiniesta
31-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Can't believe it either. Why would a twenty goal a season spl man not want to strut his stuff at the Bet Butler stadia. Strange indeed.

When was the last time Derek Riordan scored 20 goals in the SPL in a season?

Seriously pal, let it go.

Wotherspiniesta
01-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Dumbarton would be a great place for someone like Riordan to get the best out of himself and get back into the game. Playing with a team full of confidence, scoring loads of goals and he'd be playing under a guy he knows very well and at a lower standard than he's played at. He could get fit, and if he started scoring goals who knows? Maybe an SPL team might have a look. Unfortunately I don't think Deek has the mentality or dedication to do this.

Great servant for the cabbage, but for a footballer with his talent to be washed up at 30 speaks volumes about his dedication to the sport.

Beefster
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Someone who has failed twice in the SPL and once in League Two in the last year or two has pretty much lost the right to strut his stuff anywhere else except the likes of the Bet Butler stadium.

Hibeesmad
01-04-2013, 07:49 AM
He should never have left hibs after his second spell

silverhibee
25-05-2013, 12:03 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/derek-riordan-plots-return-via-golf-and-five-a-side-1-2944412

Speaks well of Sparky.

Jones28
25-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Good read!

Hibeesmad
25-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Would love to see him back at the club just for one more season

blaikie
25-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Would love to see him back at the club just for one more season

Cheap short term option if we don't keep Sparky!

Cameron1875
25-05-2013, 12:41 AM
He loves the club but lets be honest he's not worth the hassle. He needed to ditch those hanger on 'mates' of his and focus totally on the football but he still seems to struggle with that. I wouldn't have him back at ER in a playing capacity again.

lEXO
25-05-2013, 01:22 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/derek-riordan-plots-return-via-golf-and-five-a-side-1-2944412

Speaks well of Sparky.Good read mate. Cheers for that:thumbsup:

Bad Martini
25-05-2013, 02:41 AM
I Never did give a **** what else Deek does APART fae playing fitba for the cabbage.

He can score goals. Lots of goals. Spectacular goals. Braw goals. Goals. fae **** all. Goals, that defy belief.

THAT, ladies and genitals, can never be lost. Never. Its like tying yer laces and riding a bike...ye dont forget it.

Deek. Ditch the pish and tell Rod again you'll play for **** all.................if the masses accepted Thomshun, they'll accept you son....

GLORY GLORY

ENDOF

Mon Dieu4
25-05-2013, 05:06 AM
What a brilliant article, really enjoyed reading that

Col2
25-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Sounds like he had his head straight. To be honest with sparky likely to go I wonder if he would be a good risk to take to pre season training even for a few weeks as a trial.

He is settled in Edinburgh, loves the club, only 30 and surely in an average SPL is good for a few goals.

All about fitness and attitude. Wonder if Pat is wary about players with an off field risk or perceived risk?

col02
25-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Very well written article and a good interview with Riordan without any sensationalist pish! If we do not keep Griffiths next season could do worse than Riordan imho.

Beefster
25-05-2013, 06:56 AM
He was magic in his first spell and good for some of his second spell but I'm not sure I could stand another season of daily Riordan debates. There has to be some reason that he's not been at a club for more than a couple of months since he left us too.

Hibs have moved on and shouldn't go back to Riordan or O'Connor.

MyJo
25-05-2013, 07:02 AM
If only he had the courage to take up one of those overseas offers rather than going to celtic he could have been one of the best scottish strikers weve produced, hope he ges fixed up for next season

Cabbage East
25-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Good read.

Deek - Hibs legend.

steve75
25-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Surely worth a few weeks training just to see? Ultimately up to Pat though.

However the number 10 shirt will be free...

Saturdays Hero
25-05-2013, 07:41 AM
All ifs & butts with Deek,but I've no doubt a fit Riordan would still be one of the best forwards in the SPL :-) again could say the same as O'Connor but wether Derek's professional enough to knuckle down & just play footy ?? Who knows !!

#FromTheCapital
25-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Great read and good to hear his side of the story.

NorthNorfolkHFC
25-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Can't accept that drinking and falling out of nightclubs was detrimental?

Not sure if he has his head screwed on!

Saturdays Hero
25-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Can't disagree with that :) but reading that article I get the impression he'd really bust a gut for Hibs if ever given the opportunity & I hope he's given that opportunity :-)

brog
25-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Speaks well of Sparky.
Superb! Thanks Silver!

Wilson
25-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Not for me. We really need to move on.

Billychaotic182
25-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Good read. Two things I took out this though. Did anyone else worry about the GOC bit? 2nd for a footballer to get a club tattooed on him really shows a new kind of love for that team :top marks

SeanWilson
25-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Good enough read and I loved him first and second time round, however not another return to hibs though please (other than the stands).

Onceinawhile
25-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Think the boat has sailed to be honest, it seems like fenlon isn't interested and that's good enough for me. He's still comfortably in the top 3 players I've seen pull on the green and white with Frank and latas though, so thanks but no thanks.

J-C
25-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Riordan himself is a good honest quiet lad, unfortunately his so called mates aren't, so he's tarnished with their brush.

clerriehibs
25-05-2013, 08:25 AM
He loves the club but lets be honest he's not worth the hassle. He needed to ditch those hanger on 'mates' of his and focus totally on the football but he still seems to struggle with that. I wouldn't have him back at ER in a playing capacity again.

I'm still not clear what trouble he got into because of these "hangers on' - nothing on his record until the recent fine for BoP, getting into trouble over that bang out of order ban. Seems like his hangers-on were the other players we idolised.
Unless you know different?

Devilstorment
25-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Pat made no secrets in saying that part of what he needed to do when he came in to Easter Road was signed footballing professionals

.... would Deek fit in to that mentality?

Dont get me wrong he is class but I think Pat might not want the (potential) trouble

However we are seriously looking like we will be without Leigh next season and with Doyle already england bound, I think if he is offering to play for free then to turn down a proved SPL goal scorer would be a bad move

calumhibee1
25-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Absolutely no chance would I have him back at Hibs, even if it was for free and we had lost Sparky.

green day
25-05-2013, 09:05 AM
If we lose sparky and have a potential matchwinner available and ignore that - we would be insane.

For anyone worried about past indiscretions, well - I was a wee bit daft as a youngster, many things done then I would do differently now. Who is to say Derek has not grown up a wee bit?

Also, I am pretty sure we could do a pay as you play deal for deek and if it wasnt working out, well we all part company on good terms?

Cant see a downside - just google derek riordan goals, some great stuff on youtube lest we ever forget - he is a magical finisher

Eyrie
25-05-2013, 10:09 AM
I'll thank him for his past with us and wish him well for his future elsewhere, but he won't be back as a player. For whatever reason, Fenlon doesn't see Riordan as part of his plans -

... but after Bristol he offered to play for the Hibees for nothing. “Pat Fenlon said he had enough strikers,” adds Riordan, but maybe there’s another reason. The manager is much preoccupied with persuading Leigh Griffiths of the benefits of a having a long career free from waywardness. Perhaps he thinks Riordan and Griffiths’ strike partner last season, the also currently clubless O’Connor, can’t help in this regard. “I know,” he shrugs, “and if I’m being held up as a bad example I’m no’ happy.”

Hainan Hibs
25-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Had to close the article when he recalled his time in China. Embarassing.

Bobby's Cinema
25-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Great interview.

WestEndHibee
25-05-2013, 10:34 AM
top notch interview. Was my footballing hero for many years. Just a shame he wasn't surrounded by better people that might have given him more of a chance at making it.

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Don't see why ppl have a problem with him coming back, even if he hasn't got what it takes to be a regular starter anymore and ends up playing as often as kuqi I'm sure he would have a lot more advice and tips that would help the current youngsters at a much lower wage than kuqi I would imagine. On top of that, there's a good chance he could come in and things would work out. :agree:

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I Never did give a **** what else Deek does APART fae playing fitba for the cabbage.

He can score goals. Lots of goals. Spectacular goals. Braw goals. Goals. fae **** all. Goals, that defy belief.

THAT, ladies and genitals, can never be lost. Never. Its like tying yer laces and riding a bike...ye dont forget it.

Deek. Ditch the pish and tell Rod again you'll play for **** all.................if the masses accepted Thomshun, they'll accept you son....

GLORY GLORY

ENDOF
Except what Thomson could do on the park was never in doubt, what Riordan can do now is.

Better off without and I hope Fenlon thinks similar. I will always love Riordan and what he done for the club but his unprofessionalism and lazy attitude isn't what is needed at Easter Road.

Its strange because nobody enjoyed last season when we had guys like Stack, O'Conner and Doherty whos attitude and unprofessionalism were massive parts of our problem yet people still think Riordan can do a job for us.

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Expect what Thomson could do on the park was never in doubt, what Riordan can do now is.

Better off without and I hope Fenlon thinks similar. I will always love Riordan and what he done for the club but his unprofessionalism and lazy attitude isn't what is needed at Easter Road.

Its strange because nobody enjoyed last season when we had guys like Stack, O'Conner and Doherty whos attitude and unprofessionalism were massive parts of our problem yet people still think Riordan can do a job for us.

Nobody enjoyed last season because we were rank Rotten. When Garry was banging them in and he was playing well we were all loving it.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Nobody enjoyed last season because we were rank Rotten. When Garry was banging them in and he was playing well we were all loving it.Yeah but he got unfit missed loads of games and was a big part of how poor we were. If he had stayed fit and continued his early form it would have been a much better season.

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah but he got unfit missed loads of games and was a big part of how poor we were. If he had stayed fit and continued his early form it would have been a much better season.

That's true, but Deek would be on much lower wages than Garry was and would be signed as a squad player. If he wasn't to make it we would have other options I would imagine. I'd like to anyway. :agree:

Sammy7nil
25-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I loved Deek as a Hibs player 2nd to none at his best.
He may not have regrets now but he will in another 10 years, I just found the article kinda sad.

It wont happen but I would love to see Deek pinch another winner against them before he calls it a day.

Best of luck Deek

seven nowt
25-05-2013, 12:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQ3ihnxWNU&feature=player_detailpage

:thumbsup:

Fergus52
25-05-2013, 01:51 PM
I can't believe posters are seriously wanting him back.

Jonnyboy
25-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I can't believe posters are seriously wanting him back.

I know. Having watched that youtube video surely they can see how pish he was :wink:

Sorry, I'll always have time for Deek so I'm being a tad sarcastic :greengrin

Betty Boop
25-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Speaks well of Sparky.

Sob ! Fantastic interview :agree:

scotiaf
25-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Watching that video makes you think, give him another bash :)

could be worse forwards to put on if looking for a goal with 20 mins to go

Fergus52
25-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Don't see why ppl have a problem with him coming back, even if he hasn't got what it takes to be a regular starter anymore and ends up playing as often as kuqi I'm sure he would have a lot more advice and tips that would help the current youngsters at a much lower wage than kuqi I would imagine. On top of that, there's a good chance he could come in and things would work out. :agree:

A 34 year old model professional who spent most of his career playing in the championship and bottom half of the prem will be better at helping the youngsters than a 30 year old with an attitude problem who's career peaked sitting on the bench of an spl side.

whereswallace?
25-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Interested to know what qualifies you to class people as "hanger on mates" then? I'm assuming you know none of Derek's mates or indeed derek as you would know that is wide of the mark but simply choose to talk absolute pish based on what you may have read somewhere.

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 03:26 PM
A 34 year old model professional who spent most of his career playing in the championship and bottom half of the prem will be better at helping the youngsters than a 30 year old with an attitude problem who's career peaked sitting on the bench of an spl side.

Im sorry I forgot how much better the championship was than the spl especially 5 years ago when he played most of his games. Don't think deeks will teach them an attitude problem. I'm fairly sure Deek could teach kuqi a thing or two about striking the ball never mind the kids. The main point was I'm sure he'd offer a lot more coming off the bench than an overpaid immobile waste. Surely you can grasp that??:confused:

HibeeN
25-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Im sorry I forgot how much better the championship was than the spl especially 5 years ago when he played most of his games. Don't think deeks will teach them an attitude problem. I'm fairly sure Deek could teach kuqi a thing or two about striking the ball never mind the kids. The main point was I'm sure he'd offer a lot more coming off the bench than an overpaid immobile waste. Surely you can grasp that??:confused:

Outside Celtic, most of the Championship IS better than the SPL. Kuqi, despite not being a great signing on the pitch, has done a lot of work off it, and I've read interviews with several young players saying how he has helped them - he seems to be liked and respected and a good influence. I have no idea what goes on during training or behind the scenes, but who's to say the presence and coaching of Kuqi hasn't helped youngsters like Caldwell progress into the first team? He's got much more experience than Riordan and from the sounds of it, a much more professional attitude towards the game.

Of course I'm not denying that Riordan would offer more on the pitch than Kuqi. But I don't think he'll be back at Hibs because Fenlon would rather surround his (young) players with other players who have the right attitude.

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Outside Celtic, most of the Championship IS better than the SPL. Kuqi, despite not being a great signing on the pitch, has done a lot of work off it, and I've read interviews with several young players saying how he has helped them - he seems to be liked and respected and a good influence. I have no idea what goes on during training or behind the scenes, but who's to say the presence and coaching of Kuqi hasn't helped youngsters like Caldwell progress into the first team? He's got much more experience than Riordan and from the sounds of it, a much more professional attitude towards the game.

Of course I'm not denying that Riordan would offer more on the pitch than Kuqi. But I don't think he'll be back at Hibs because Fenlon would rather surround his (young) players with other players who have the right attitude.

Your probably right, fenlon doesn't want players with a bad attitude, though his marquee signing last year was Garry o. He won't want the likes of riordan, he probably wouldn't want a young latapy either with his attitude. Lets face it, he'll bring in players that will do the job, if he thinks riordan will score goals and the price is right then he'll do it, end of. Like I said, riordan wouldn't teach a bad attitude, you either have a bad attitude or you don't, there isn't a lesson for it.

heidtheba
25-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Your probably right, fenlon doesn't want players with a bad attitude, though his marquee signing last year was Garry o. He won't want the likes of riordan, he probably wouldn't want a young latapy either with his attitude. Lets face it, he'll bring in players that will do the job, if he thinks riordan will score goals and the price is right then he'll do it, end of. Like I said, riordan wouldn't teach a bad attitude, you either have a bad attitude or you don't, there isn't a lesson for it.

I'd love to see him back at ER and I actually think the well documented attitude problems of the past would be a plus. Deek would be coming back very much on the manager's terms, not as a marquee signing. If he didn't work hard in training then he would be out on his ear, this would surely serve as a good lesson to younger players...if one with such popularity as Riordan can end up in a position like this then its a stark warning. If he plays well, gets goals, gets back into the way of things then here is a lesson that turning things round is a positive and that knuckling down works.

Beefster
25-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Calderwood signed O'Connor.

Fenlon knocked Riordan back when he was offering to play for free, there's very little chance of him then paying him to play for us.

lord bunberry
25-05-2013, 04:38 PM
I'd love to see deek back he's the most naturally gifted player I've seen at er

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Calderwood signed O'Connor.

Fenlon knocked Riordan back when he was offering to play for free, there's very little chance of him then paying him to play for us.

he would only have been offering to play for free until the seasons end. and in that case i suppose KT definitely get signed next year as he shouldn't expect to get paid?? you were right about calderwood though. congrats. :greengrin

Keith_M
25-05-2013, 04:58 PM
I read the article as well and, while I feel exactly the same about his previous talent, I have to say I wasn't impressed with what he said.

Firstly he disputes that his career hasn't gone well (when was the last time he played for a club consistently) then blames a lot of things on 'bad luck'. Everyone can see that his career hasn't been anything like as successful as it should have been and to blame that on luck is a bit pathetic.

We need to start looking forwad, not to the past. If there was a bad player culture at the club and Riordan was part of that, then we need to leave it with happy memories and move on.

LeighLoyal
25-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Why are people dismissing a guy of 30 whose scored more goals for us than anybody else in recent memory, or would you rather Fenlon blew another 100k in wages on a geriatric duffer like Kuqi?

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 05:13 PM
I read the article as well and, while I feel exactly the same about his previous talent, I have to say I wasn't impressed with what he said.

Firstly he disputes that his career hasn't gone well (when was the last time he played for a club consistently) then blames a lot of things on 'bad luck'. Everyone can see that his career hasn't been anything like as successful as it should have been and to blame that on luck is a bit pathetic.

We need to start looking forwad, not to the past. If there was a bad player culture at the club and Riordan was part of that, then we need to leave it with happy memories and move on.

some good points, though to a certain degree he has been unfortunate. he always said he wanted to play up top and i believe thats where he was best. 2nd time round at hibs he got abuse constantly for not defending enough when out wide even though he admitted that wasnt his preferred/best position. if we want to start looking forward as you say then a strong squad is as good a start as you can have.

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Why are people dismissing a guy of 30 whose scored more goals for us than anybody else in recent memory, or would you rather Fenlon blew another 100k in wages on a geriatric duffer like Kuqi?

this is looking forward apparently :wink:

Humo
25-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Except what Thomson could do on the park was never in doubt, what Riordan can do now is.

What was stack's problem?

Hibbyradge
25-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Wilson
25-05-2013, 05:26 PM

Because he is 30. Because most of these goals are from earlier in his career. He flattered to deceive in his second spell and has done hee haw since he left.

People assume that we'll lose Griffiths and that Riordan should be our default position. Don't forget we took Griffiths even though Riordan WAS an option. He was raw and a bit of a loose cannon but still preferred. Why?

Deek is finished at the top level. Even if he would play for free I wouldn't want him haunting the place or keeping a prospect off the bench. His time has passed.

just_joe
25-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Riordan himself is a good honest quiet lad, unfortunately his so called mates aren't, so he's tarnished with their brush.

Sorry mate but the guys 30. hes not a teenager anymore. Wouldnt want him back at Hibs , his 2nd spell he looked lazy & non interested. Time to move on. We have a good youth set up so lets take advantage of it.

West hamBERNIAN
25-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Because he is 30. Because most of these goals are from earlier in his career. He flattered to deceive in his second spell and has done hee haw since he left.

People assume that we'll lose Griffiths and that Riordan should be our default position. Don't forget we took Griffiths even though Riordan WAS an option. He was raw and a bit of a loose cannon but still preferred. Why?

Deek is finished at the top level. Even if he would play for free I wouldn't want him haunting the place or keeping a prospect off the bench. His time has passed.

shmeh

silverhibee
25-05-2013, 06:02 PM

Did he.

1st season top goal scorer as a striker.

2nd season 17 goals from left midfield.

3rd season top goal scorer as a striker.

And pretty sure there was plenty of assists in there too.

Vault Boy
25-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Did he.

1st season top goal scorer as a striker.

2nd season 17 goals from left midfield.

3rd season top goal scorer as a striker.

And pretty sure there was plenty of assists in there too.

The team was depreciating season upon season during Riordan's second spell, and although he might have done a bit more in terms of work load, he was always (one of) our most dangerous forward player. We've improved a bit since the end of his homecoming and if he has kept a decent level of fitness, he could definitely add something to the squad. However, I'm not too fussed either way and I don't think it's likely to happen anyway. (Whether he has changed his ways or not, his previous doesn't help him.)

Hiber-nation
25-05-2013, 06:15 PM

Spot on. I loved Deek, he would be in my all time Hibs team but that interview told us absolutely nothing. He has never given a proper explanation as to why he failed at the likes of Bristol Rovers and St Johnstone and it would be nice for him to actually admit it's all down to fitness.