PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton,Pat Fenlon,Rod Petrie attending Founding Fathers Plaque unveiling

GORDONSMITH7
11-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Dear members and friends,

As per our previous updates, hopefully you are by now aware of our lengthy and detailed discussion with the Archdiocese, Trustees and Parish of St Patrick’s to present the commemorative plaque within St Patrick’s parish, the first ever acknowledgement of the Birth place of the Hi-Bees.

Its therefore with added pride we can also now announce we have confirmation from Hibernian that both Rod Petrie and Pat Fenlon, along with other representatives from the club, will attend our unveiling. We will also be joined by representation from the Hibernian Supporters Association, and proudest of all, that our Branch Patron and legend Pat Stanton will do the honours at St Patricks, Cowgate, on Sunday 17th March.

The Parish of St Patrick’s has extend their invitation to all our members and friends to attend and I am sure, ‘if you know your history’ you will be extremely proud that your Branch is making a little bit of history next Sunday, I would therefore ask that all our members attend to see that history being made.

The detailed plan is to unveil the plaque, located at the back of the church after 11am mass, and although this gives the opportunity to attend both the ( St Patrick’s Day) mass and the unveiling, where seating for the mass will be reserved for as many branch members as possible, the parish is aware our Branch is made up from all faiths and those of no faith, and therefore the welcome is to attend whatever is preferred by individuals, the unveiling itself will be around 12 noon and for those only attending the unveiling ceremony I would advise being at back of the church for 11.45.

All Hibees very welcome

Best Regards

Douglas McLeod

Branch Chair

GGTTH

The Harp Awakes
11-03-2013, 05:12 PM

As per our previous updates, hopefully you are by now aware of our lengthy and detailed discussion with the Archdiocese, Trustees and Parish of St Patrick’s to present the commemorative plaque within St Patrick’s parish, the first ever acknowledgement of the Birth place of the Hi-Bees.

Its therefore with added pride we can also now announce we have confirmation from Hibernian that both Rod Petrie and Pat Fenlon, along with other representatives from the club, will attend our unveiling. We will also be joined by representation from the Hibernian Supporters Association, and proudest of all, that our Branch Patron and legend Pat Stanton will do the honours at St Patricks, Cowgate, on Sunday 17th March.

The Parish of St Patrick’s has extend their invitation to all our members and friends to attend and I am sure, ‘if you know your history’ you will be extremely proud that your Branch is making a little bit of history next Sunday, I would therefore ask that all our members attend to see that history being made.

The detailed plan is to unveil the plaque, located at the back of the church after 11am mass, and although this gives the opportunity to attend both the ( St Patrick’s Day) mass and the unveiling, where seating for the mass will be reserved for as many branch members as possible, the parish is aware our Branch is made up from all faiths and those of no faith, and therefore the welcome is to attend whatever is preferred by individuals, the unveiling itself will be around 12 noon and for those only attending the unveiling ceremony I would advise being at back of the church for 11.45.

All Hibees very welcome

Best Regards

Douglas McLeod

Branch Chair

GGTTH

Great to hear officially that the Club will be represented. Well done to all involved. Looking forward to witnessing a piece of history:thumbsup:

IberianHibernian
12-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Great work by those who organised plaque .

marinello59
13-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Excellent. Well done to all involved in making this happen. :thumbsup:

spike220
13-03-2013, 08:25 AM

All Hibees very welcome

Best Regards

Douglas McLeod

Branch Chair

GGTTH

Great stuff!!! I cant be there, I live in Auckland now, but I grew up going to St Pats Church.

This is a very proud day. I will be thinking of you all!

big-mo
13-03-2013, 10:15 AM
On a related issue, many of you will have noted that a bust of Cannon Hannan was commissioned and handed over to the Football Club a couple of years ago, it is still on display in the reception foyer of the West Stand at the stadium. (there is also a copy in the Supporters club in Sunnyside)
A second bust, this one of co-founder Michael Whelahan (Pat Stanton's great, great uncle), is in the process of being sculpted and will be cast when sufficient funds have been raised. Some of you may have already donated to this project. St Pat's branch and other have been and will be holding fund raising events and I am sure that they will be advertised in the near future.
( I am aware that there has been some comments, especially on the Bounce, about what happened to the money that has already been donated, some of you may know, the cost of sculpting and casting in bronze does not come cheap, so until the full amount has been raised we can not proceed to handing over the sculpture to the foundry, hopefully by the end of the season).

http://hfpa.org.uk/images/DSC00308small.jpg

Pretty Boy
13-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Will try to get along to this.

Well done to all involved.

Iggy Pope
13-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Will be there
St Pats born, bred and educated (although it would be my first time at Mass in a long while)
Cannot wait Dougie and well done on a most worthwhile initiative.

SY

spike220
14-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Any chance of getting this on the Hibs FC website?

JohnStephens91
17-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Bump

Hibrandenburg
17-03-2013, 06:41 AM
Well done to all involved, hope someone can get some photos up later.

Would have liked to attend this if I was in the Burgh but will definitely make a pilgrimage (at the risk of being struck down by lightening) when I'm back.

Iggy Pope
17-03-2013, 02:06 PM
That was quite an emotional occassion this morning.
Lovely words from Rod who has been reading up on his Lugton. Also Sir Pat and a few jumbled up ones from Dougie McLeod!

HGSP Dear Saint of our Isle!
:flag:

trev the hat
17-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Fantastic turn out & club well represented. Well done to all involved & great to be part of a bit of history. Pity my camera battery was flat & will return again for pics. Few good words from RP :aok: Glory Glory

FranckSuzy
17-03-2013, 03:07 PM
These were posted by Jamie from Hibees Bounce. I'm sure he won't mind :wink:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFjzJkkCQAADRZF.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFkUtZTCQAAdulw.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFj2HdWCYAA5WF0.jpg:large

trev the hat
17-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Fantastic pic :top marks

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFkUtZTCQAAdulw.jpg:large

Iggy Pope
17-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Amazingly, only 14 posts and not a lot of interest in this thread, significant to the club, while there are close to 5 times this banging their gums together on another thread about a bunch of fans that have **** all to do with us and come from the other side of the country.
How sad is that, seriously?

marinello59
17-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Amazingly, only 14 posts and not a lot of interest in this thread, significant to the club, while there are close to 5 times this banging their gums together on another thread about a bunch of fans that have **** all to do with us and come from the other side of the country.
How sad is that, seriously?

It is disappointing.
This is something we can all take pride in, I will certainly make a trip down to see the plaque for myself as soon as I can. Well done again to all involved.

Brizo
17-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Fantastic occassion. A packed out church and a real coming together of all parts of the Hibs family to formally acknowledge the birth place of our club with the unveiling of a magnificent plaque.

Congratulations to all concerned including the Board who attended en masse :wink: and the fashionably late Pat Fenlon :greengrin. Also Fr Joe and the regular parishoners of St Pats who made us all very welcome.

Finally, tremendous credit to the St Pats branch boys and girls for their vision and fund raising activities which brought all this to fruition. I know that while fund raising for the plaque they have also found time to support various charities. Commemorating our founding fathers and also actively continuing their charitable ethos.

Miguel
17-03-2013, 05:38 PM
It was a great occasion on a great day! God bless Hibernian.

I'm_cabbaged
17-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Absolutely superb, well done to all involved!!

Pretty Boy
17-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Well done to all involved.

Was hoping to make it down but managed to sleep in after a night drinking.

Pretty much why I stopped going to mass years ago! Will definitely pop in and see the plaque though.

Vini1875
17-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Well done all concerned.

DaveF
17-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Good to read this. Can you pop in at any time? Would love to take the kids along to see it over the Easter break.

The Harp
17-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Knew a plaque was being planned by the St Pat's branch but didn't know when it was being unveiled. So glad I was there this morning. Lovely atmosphere in the church and great to see so many Hibees in attendance. The speeches were top drawer too - even enjoyed the wee slip-ups.:wink:
Well done to all concerned - haste ye back.

Carheenlea
17-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Some pictures from the unveiling this morning.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102100932128616983363/StPatrickSChurchCommemorativePlaqueUnveiledSun17th March2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK_stYLgs6m51AE&feat=directlink

It really was a terrific occasion, carried out with great dignity which did Hibernian FC proud. Congratulations to everyone involved for making this happen, and a lasting tribute that will be there for years to come for all Hibs supporters to visit. (Apologies to Pat Fenlon for my infant daughter continually kicking him during the unveiling., but after Friday night her frustrations were understandable)

3pm
17-03-2013, 08:08 PM
It would appear the score from Hampden has come through in picture 9.

St Pats Branch
17-03-2013, 08:16 PM

https://picasaweb.google.com/102100932128616983363/StPatrickSChurchCommemorativePlaqueUnveiledSun17th March2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCK_stYLgs6m51AE&feat=directlink

It really was a terrific occasion, carried out with great dignity which did Hibernian FC proud. Congratulations to everyone involved for making this happen, and a lasting tribute that will be there for years to come for all Hibs supporters to visit. (Apologies to Pat Fenlon for my infant daughter continually kicking him during the unveiling., but after Friday night her frustrations were understandable)

Would you mind if we use your pictures on our website?

St Pats Branch
17-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys, it was a great day. Good to see a strong turn out by the club too, especially "Fat Penlon" :greengrin

Pretty Boy
17-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Good to read this. Can you pop in at any time? Would love to take the kids along to see it over the Easter break.

Most Catholic churches are open throughout the day for anyone to enter. Even if it's locked a knock on the Priests door will usually see you allowed in without too much bother.

Carheenlea
17-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Would you mind if we use your pictures on our website?

Not at all, you are more than welcome :aok:

Alfred E Newman
17-03-2013, 08:47 PM

I`ll be expecting a print of the Great Man from you for the hoose! :aok:

spike220
17-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Great moment for Hibs FC. Well done to all who organized this proud day. I cant wait to go to St Pats next time I am in Edinburgh and see it myself. A fitting way to acknowledge the birth place of Hibs FC and what a great history we have as a club. We should really make sure we continue to celebrate our history and remember those who have gone before us.

I wonder if Hibs FC would allow a corresponding plaque at Eater Road to acknowledge this place Hibs place of birth?

GGTTH

Baldy Foghorn
17-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Great pictures:aok:

The Harp Awakes
17-03-2013, 09:23 PM
That was a really emotional occasion and great to see the church full with Hibs colours everywhere. Thanks to all for making it such a memorable experience and to Father Joe who made us very welcome:thumbsup:

EdinMike
17-03-2013, 09:53 PM
My Auld man was there, sadly I couldn't make it. Will go down to see it soon though.

Happy to be part of the St Pats branch and all we're doing and planning to do !

Jonnyboy
17-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Was unable to attend but a big well done from me to the guys and gals of the St Pat's branch

TomTheHibbyBev
18-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Good to hear so many attended well done:thumbsup:Another proud moment in the history of Hibernian.
keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Albanian Hibs
18-03-2013, 07:40 AM
It would appear the score from Hampden has come through in picture 9.

and in picture 20. Pleasing.

Good pictures and it sounded like an emotional occasion. I will have to pop in sometime with my dad to see the plaque. Well done to all involved.

Backto my roots
18-03-2013, 09:33 AM
A huge well done to all involved in this and great to see the club recognising and being proud of it's roots. Sorry I missed it but will be taking my mum to mass next Sunday so will check out the plaque and get some photo's!

GORDONSMITH7
18-03-2013, 09:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVuzBmofNgE&feature=youtu.be

BIG G

EdinMike
18-03-2013, 09:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVuzBmofNgE&feature=youtu.be

BIG G

Cheers G sorry I couldn't be there, hope my Auld Man Paddy behaved ! :greengrin

GORDONSMITH7
18-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Cheers G sorry I couldn't be there, hope my Auld Man Paddy behaved ! :greengrin

To be honest Michael he looked a little erm..........tired after our fantastic sell out St Pat's Party in the Hibs Club the previous night.

BIG G

matty_f
18-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Was hearing about this earlier today, sounded brilliant. Well done.

GORDONSMITH7
19-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Smashing photy in yesterday's Scotsman of Pat Stanton next to the Plaque. Just the wordy bit and nae photy on the Scotsman's website.

BIG G

Dashing Bob S
19-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Well done to all involved in this.

JohnStephens91
19-03-2013, 01:53 AM
I didn't attend mass as I would have been bored due to me not believing in any religion and felt it would have been disrespectful to all the Catholics in the church. The unveiling was fantastic and I got a chance to meet one of my granddad's favourite Hibs players which was a great moment for myself and my dad as well. We both had a brief walk around the church to reflect on the day in which another piece of history happened and to reflect on August 6th 1875. I will be stopping back in some day soon to have a proper feel of the church and to get a decent look at the plaque.

JohnStephens91
19-03-2013, 01:55 AM
and in picture 20. Pleasing.

Good pictures and it sounded like an emotional occasion. I will have to pop in sometime with my dad to see the plaque. Well done to all involved.

You're Pat Fenlon? :greengrin

Green_one
19-03-2013, 10:09 AM
I didn't attend mass as I would have been bored due to me not believing in any religion and felt it would have been disrespectful to all the Catholics in the church. The unveiling was fantastic and I got a chance to meet one of my granddad's favourite Hibs players which was a great moment for myself and my dad as well. We both had a brief walk around the church to reflect on the day in which another piece of history happened and to reflect on August 6th 1875. I will be stopping back in some day soon to have a proper feel of the church and to get a decent look at the plaque.

The mass seemed to go on forever. Nice ending with the Hymn to St Partick.

I got a picture with Paddy Stanton, so I am totally made up.:not worth:not worth

Great event. Good speeches. Well done my supporters club. :hibees

Well done too to the Hibs officials turning up. A great day all through.

GORDONSMITH7
19-03-2013, 04:19 PM
The mass seemed to go on forever. Nice ending with the Hymn to St Partick.

I got a picture with Paddy Stanton, so I am totally made up.:not worth:not worth

Great event. Good speeches. Well done my supporters club. :hibees

Well done too to the Hibs officials turning up. A great day all through.

There were many who attended the unveiling who were not at the Mass, including myself who is St Patrick's Branch Secretary and neither was our Branch Treasurer. As Dougie the Branch Chairperson said at the unveiling, our Branch membership consists of folk with links to the Grassmarket, Cowgate, Southside and St. Patrick's and those who have none at all, of all faiths and none whatsoever.

BIG G

The Harp
19-03-2013, 04:36 PM
There were many who attended the unveiling who were not at the Mass, including myself who is St Patrick's Branch Secretary and neither was our Branch Treasurer. As Dougie the Branch Chairperson said at the unveiling, our Branch membership consists of folk with links to the Grassmarket, Cowgate, Southside and St. Patrick's and those who have none at all, of all faiths and none whatsoever.

BIG G

I hope all St Pat's branch members felt welcome on Sunday irrespective of their religion (or no religion).
It was the busiest I've seen the 11am Mass at St Pat's in a long time and great to see so many kids wearing the colours. The hymn to St Patrick at the end, followed by the unveiling finished it off nicely.
I've been meaning to join the branch for a while now so this will hopefully give me the shove I've been needing.
Well done folks, you're a credit to the Club.

Hibernia Na Eir
19-03-2013, 06:50 PM
thoroughly enjoyed Sunday at St Pats. was a tremendous occasion. Gonna nip back up to get proper look at plaque as Sunday was incredibly busy it was difficult to move!

St Pats is THE branch!

Iggy Pope
19-03-2013, 06:56 PM

BIG G

G, you have a PM

lyonhibs
19-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Were there any current players there?

GORDONSMITH7
19-03-2013, 11:36 PM
G, you have a PM

Great stuff S.

BIG G

spike220
20-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks for posting the Video, great to see PF & Rod there flying the flag for Hibs!

GGTTH

GORDONSMITH7
02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Excellent coverage in the Edinburgh Reporter.

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2013/03/hibs-fans-present-plaque-to-st-patricks-parish-church/

BIG G

Tom Hart RIP
02-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Good speech from Rod, particularly the bit about Sepp Blatter's knowledge of Hibs.

Swedish hibee
02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Great stuff :thumbsup:

Braids Hibby
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Well done to all involved. We should always be so proud of our founding fathers and remember why we are here today.

mcgoogy
10-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Sent a PM to the St Patrick's branch email address a week ago, but haven't had a response.

There is currently significant work ongoing within St Pat's, with mass recently involving the sight of scaffolding and the smell of fresh paint.

Fundraising has been ongoing for some time, with the expected cost of repainting the ceiling and other parts of the interior costing in excess of £30k.

One of the initiatives is to sponsor a square, where a metre section of the ceiling can be purchased for £10.

Given the goodwill there appears to have been at the time of the unveiling of the plaque within the church, and the large number of members who attended that Sunday morning, would some form of fundraising activity be something the members of the St Pats branch would be willing to undertake to support birthplace of the Hibs at a time it needs it most?

I'm sure Fr Desmond and the congregation as a whole would greatly appreciate any support that may be available.

DaveF
10-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Try their website for contact details.

http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/