PDA

View Full Version : Another down side to Sparky's goal.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 08:00 AM
What with all the media coverage on all channels and the fact that this was probably the goal of the season that never was, it's probably alerted all the big guns as to what a wee gem we've got. Will make it even harder to hold on to him after the end of this season. Get it sorted Rod please.

pontius pilate
11-03-2013, 08:02 AM
This

PeeJay
11-03-2013, 08:09 AM
What with all the media coverage on all channels and the fact that this was probably the goal of the season that never was, it's probably alerted all the big guns as to what a wee gem we've got. Will make it even harder to hold on to him after the end of this season. Get it sorted Rod please.

Good point - I'm sure I read on the BBC site (or was it the Scotsman?) on Saturday that the Wolves manager has ruled out any chance of Griffiths staying at ER, and he has been told to report to Wolves for pre-season training- to show what he can do down there - considering his form with us, it's won't be any surprise if they want to have another look at him... then again, maybe it's just another one of those rumours - we really should be pulling out all the stops to get him signed up for us!

Speedway
11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Do you think other team's scouting is so poor that they watch Sky news to see if any decent players come on?

Griffiths isn't our wee secret you know.

Baker9
11-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Leigh is in the shop window for a big deal in the summer. The 'goal' was shown on Sky news themed as goal line technology. It was actually one of the best dead ball strikes from distance in the history of football anywhere. :agree:

PerfectlyFranck
11-03-2013, 08:16 AM
The goal has already been plastered over wherever it can be and so it should be!

I wouldn't let this lie and hats-off to Griffiths for his reaction during the game and afterwards. Fenlon should also be praised for jumping off the fence and rightly pointing out some horrible decisions against us, not least of all in yesterday's wonder-goal.

Everyone should be able to see this screamer, if not for the decision, then for the fact that it is an unbelievable goal. Leigh has every right to be all over the news, for the right reasons. One of the best free-kicks I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB7_hI3eU4k

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Do you think other team's scouting is so poor that they watch Sky news to see if any decent players come on?

Of course not. But it sure as hell puts him in the shop window and raised his price tag to which we have no claim.

Also the fact that the goal yesterday was not just good but world class will have put him on the radar of teams that usually do their shopping outside of tescos.

Heisenberg
11-03-2013, 08:23 AM
It's still really annoying me that the officials could be that incompetent. I just don't understand how the guy has missed it from where he was standing. Cheated out of a win and the Jambos get off with yet another massive decision going their way.

CB_NO3
11-03-2013, 08:26 AM
His deal with Wolves ends in May so he wont be at pre season training with them unless they offer him a new deal. Am sure he wont be short of offers anyway. Would love to have in and Claros next season.

Leithenhibby
11-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Of course not. But it sure as hell puts him in the shop window and raised his price tag to which we have no claim.

Also the fact that the goal yesterday was not just good but world class will have put him on the radar of teams that usually do their shopping outside of tescos.

This was always going to be the case.

Two points, first, He was always in the window and secondly, we were never going to get money for him.

Me, I'm just enjoying having him around ER :wink: and long may that continue.

PerfectlyFranck
11-03-2013, 08:28 AM

You can't hide a player from professional football clubs, especially considering his form in the media! He should deservedly be all over the news for this. He deserves every bit of publicity for a goal like that.

Heisenberg
11-03-2013, 08:29 AM
His deal with Wolves ends in May so he wont be at pre season training with them unless they offer him a new deal. Am sure he wont be short of offers anyway. Would love to have in and Claros next season.

They've got this reported one year option on his contract though. I've no idea of the ins and outs of it but if he's taken up the option then he won't be at hibs next year unfortunately.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 08:41 AM
This was always going to be the case.

Two points, first, He was always in the window and secondly, we were never going to get money for him.

Me, I'm just enjoying having him around ER :wink: and long may that continue.

Correct, but before he was in the local newsagents, now he's the show piece at Harrods.

To say that this doesn't make a difference is just wishful thinking.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 08:44 AM
You can't hide a player from professional football clubs, especially considering his form in the media! He should deservedly be all over the news for this. He deserves every bit of publicity for a goal like that.

Agree, but you can draw even more attention to him and that is certainly the case here.

Gatecrasher
11-03-2013, 09:11 AM

was thinking the same, everyone knows who he is, he's the top scorer in the league ffs.

greenlex
11-03-2013, 09:15 AM
What we need is a huge controversy on twitter followed by a pagger up the toon. A couple of more burds pregnant and maybe a drunk driving thrown in for good measure.:greengrin

lord bunberry
11-03-2013, 09:21 AM
What we need is a huge controversy on twitter followed by a pagger up the toon. A couple of more burds pregnant and maybe a drunk driving thrown in for good measure.:greengrin

Maybe some rumours about massive gambling debts as well

greenlex
11-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Coke. Hw could I forget coke.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 09:25 AM
was thinking the same, everyone knows who he is, he's the top scorer in the league ffs.

I did start to write a reply to this but decided on this :rolleyes: instead.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 09:27 AM

:tee hee:

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 09:28 AM

:wink:

Gatecrasher
11-03-2013, 09:30 AM
I did start to write a reply to this but decided on this :rolleyes: instead.
Why? Any team looking for a striker will know who he is. The free kick yesterday changes nothing in that respect. He's in the headlines nearly every other week.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Why? Any team looking for a striker will know who he is. The free kick yesterday changes nothing in that respect. He's in the headlines nearly every other week.

Why do Coca Cola spend so much money on adverts, everyone knows what it tastes like. Very few outside of our borders had even heard of Leigh Griffiths until yesterday. Up until yesterday Leigh Griffiths was barely worth a few lines in the UK national papers and now football fans world wide will have seen the controversial goal on their TVs making him an international talking point. You must think the world ends at the bypass if you can't see that.

Gatecrasher
11-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Why do Coca Cola spend so much money on adverts, everyone knows what it tastes like. Very few outside of our borders had even heard of Leigh Griffiths until yesterday. Up until yesterday Leigh Griffiths was barely worth a few lines in the UK national papers and now football fans world wide will have seen the controversial goal on their TVs making him an international talking point. You must think the world ends at the bypass if you can't see that.

I think your kidding yourself, there will be plenty of English clubs with a bigger budget than ours who know who he is and what he is capable of. how do you think half the decent Scottish based players end up down there?

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 09:58 AM
I think your kidding yourself, there will be plenty of English clubs with a bigger budget than ours who know who he is and what he is capable of. how do you think half the decent Scottish based players end up down there?

So you believe that all the coverage from yesterday's incident won't have raised his profile and price tag?

RoscoHibby
11-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Would be good to know the ins and outs of his deal at wolves, if it is techincally expired in the summer, cant we offer a pre-contract? Or they have first say on this?

Anyway, just hope they go down to league 1, would certainly give us a better shot of keeping the lad! Just looked at their fixtures and it is not outwith the realms of possibility, the 3 teams in the relegation spots have all been playing well and picking up points recently, while think they are something like 1 win 10 and some hard games in the run in. Their next 2 at home are massive games. Wish them all the very worst of luck anyway (never really liked them, prolly mick mccarthy's fault!)

Gatecrasher
11-03-2013, 10:02 AM
So you believe that all the coverage from yesterday's incident won't have raised his profile and price tag?

Maybe raised his profile a bit but even a complete dud of a player can score a screamer from time to time. I don't think this will affect our chances of getting him in the summer (as thin as that chance may be). I just think anyone within reason looking for a striker will already have considered him.

weonlywon6-2
11-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Leigh is in the shop window for a big deal in the summer. The 'goal' was shown on Sky news themed as goal line technology. It was actually one of the best dead ball strikes from distance in the history of football anywhere. :agree:

Completely agree.This was one for the history books,however due to crap refereeing it wont:rolleyes:

Had they made it count it would have been arguably the best ever goal in a derby

SlickShoes
11-03-2013, 10:14 AM
His form was already fantastic before yesterday, any club that actively scouts for players at SPL level would be well aware of him.

I think the only way we will get to keep him is if he goes and does something mental in his personal life and other clubs think he is some sort of troublemaker.

Even then, it's just march and hes got over 20 goals already, championship clubs will be looking at him and they will be able to pay a lot more than us, but all we can hope is that he enjoys playing for hibs that much that he will want to play his football here for a year or two more.

Let's just enjoy him while he is banging in the goals and hope he can produce some Scottish Cup magic that we have been sorely lacking since forever.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Maybe raised his profile a bit but even a complete dud of a player can score a screamer from time to time. I don't think this will affect our chances of getting him in the summer (as thin as that chance may be). I just think anyone within reason looking for a striker will already have considered him.

A bit?

Think you might just be underestimating the power of the Media. Leigh is certainly not a dud, I've been watching Hibs for many a year and he's up there with the best we've ever had. Yesterday will prompt those who already have him on the radar to have a closer look and they'll see he's banging them in from all over the shop with very little service, imagine what he could do with improved support. Other clubs who've not yet been alerted will now be at least considering having a scan and some of them may well be from outside the UK.

My hope is that his experience at Wolves was negative enough for him to appreciate the creature comforts of home enough to sway any decision he makes.

SlickShoes
11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
A bit?

Think you might just be underestimating the power of the Media. Leigh is certainly not a dud, I've been watching Hibs for many a year and he's up there with the best we've ever had. Yesterday will prompt those who already have him on the radar to have a closer look and they'll see he's banging them in from all over the shop with very little service, imagine what he could do with improved support. Other clubs who've not yet been alerted will now be at least considering having a scan and some of them may well be from outside the UK.

My hope is that his experience at Wolves was negative enough for him to appreciate the creature comforts of home enough to sway any decision he makes.

Agree with the bit in bold, aside from a little extra money is it worth his time to go play in the championship/league 1 for a team he has no connection to? Fletcher moved from Hibs straight to the premiership, I don't see why Leigh couldn't do that too after another season with hibs.

Gatecrasher
11-03-2013, 10:27 AM
A bit?

I personally think you are underestimating how many English clubs keep an eye on the SPL for a good cheap player. Anyway this is starting to go round in circles so I respect your view whilst disagreeing with it.

Northernhibee
11-03-2013, 10:33 AM
If Leigh has the right players around him, the right coaches and manager guiding him and he continues to improve at the pace he has he could play for any UK club he wanted in the future.

Another twelve months at Hibs with Pat, Liam and a good captain in James McPake to keep him sensible would do him good, he's a young lad with time on his side.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I personally think you are underestimating how many English clubs keep an eye on the SPL for a good cheap player. Anyway this is starting to go round in circles so I respect your view whilst disagreeing with it.

Can't say fairer than that. Fair doos.

Hibrandenburg
11-03-2013, 10:44 AM
If Leigh has the right players around him, the right coaches and manager guiding him and he continues to improve at the pace he has he could play for any UK club he wanted in the future.

Another twelve months at Hibs with Pat, Liam and a good captain in James McPake to keep him sensible would do him good, he's a young lad with time on his side.

:agree:

NOLA
11-03-2013, 10:55 AM
I think the fact he has 26 kids to feed with another 7 due, he will be looking for a good wage, and probably doesn't want to be too far away from them so I can see celtic buying him if hooper goes.

Scottie
11-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I think the fact he has 26 kids to feed with another 7 due, he will be looking for a good wage, and probably doesn't want to be too far away from them so I can see celtic buying him if hooper goes.

:greengrin

Leishy1995
11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
As I have said before, if he leaves us for England I will not be down hearted.

Because I got to watch him play for Hibs despite his talent being greater than any striker I had seen before with us. Thanks for the memories. Forever one of our own.

hibby rae
11-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I had a look on the Wolves forum earlier on and I have to say they're an odd bunch. At least half of them still don't want him back because they don't rate the spl and a lot of the ones that do want him back are quite happy to call him a ****bag and such like. Even if he wasn't one of us I think he'd probably still want to remain here and not go back down south.

steakbake
11-03-2013, 02:21 PM

That would be an interesting one for the Lets Work Together folks to have a look at - can we pull a few strings and arrange this?

Come on, LWT, Lets Get It Sorted.

Andy74
11-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Within football, no.

A few more fans round the country might have heard of him now but that makes no odds.

silverhibee
11-03-2013, 02:53 PM

He is well known around the UK, he made national news after twitter gate, and i am pretty sure most managers around the UK are will be well aware of the SPLs top goal scorer.

HiBremian
11-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Spot on, mate. Just arrived down in Newcastle, and they already knew about here. (Maybe on MOTD in England last night?)

Anyway, that was my second 0-0 after fling over to the Leith San Siro, but at least this time I saw a goal!!

Fumin' at the officials. People all around were getting texts within seconds of the goal saying the replay showed it clearly in.

PS the wife was totally empathetic - 1966 world cup final n all that.

Stewboy
11-03-2013, 05:04 PM
He's not that good

A good player would've hit it an inch lower ;-)

Northernhibee
11-03-2013, 05:22 PM
He's not that good

A good player would've hit it an inch lower ;-)

According to the Daily Fail it was actually nearly an own-goal.

It had to be Griffiths, of course. No one else on the pitch could have struck a free kick of such power and deceptive brilliance in an otherwise awful match. It soared over a flat-footed Ben Williams and bounced downwards off the underside of the bar with some emphasis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2291090/Hibernian-ghost-goal-Leigh-Griffiths-denied-Edinburgh-derby-Hearts.html#ixzz2NFkGICXK

He should definately stay at Hibs to protect other clubs from a striker who doesn't even know which way he's shooting. Simply awful.

Danderhall Hibs
11-03-2013, 06:20 PM
A positive is that we're going to get at least one big decision before the season's out. Just hope it actually makes a difference and isn't just the 4th goal in an easy win.

The semi or the bottom 6 derby (if we don't top 6) or even better than that on 26/5...