PDA

View Full Version : Matt Done

Pray4Marc
11-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Thought this lad was excellent in the 1st half, very direct, something we have been crying out for all season in the wider areas. Gave that Boris Johnson look a like a torrid time and how he never got booked beggars belief.

:pfgwa

lucky
11-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Got to disagree. He has been poor in every game since he arrived. Poor man's Ivan.

pontius pilate
11-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Got to disagree. He has been poor in every game since he arrived. Poor man's Ivan.

I've got to disagree iirc he was played on the wrong side in his first couple of games in the green and white. Last week against killie he got forward and drive at the defence and scored. This week I don't think anyone wanted to push up and help sparky maybe that was the tactics I don't know but I mentioned this on another thread there wasn't much in support of sparky at all.

Speedway
11-03-2013, 08:08 AM
I've got to disagree.

nonshinyfinish
11-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Do we have to disagree?

Heisenberg
11-03-2013, 08:09 AM
I certainly don't think he was as bad as some had said after the game. Pretty average performance from him I'd say. Alex Harris could merit a start on Friday though.

Just_Jimmy
11-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Rarely takes a man on
No pace
Crossing is woeful
Tackling is poor.

Piss poor player.

LaMotta
11-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Do we have to disagree?

I don't disagree with you but i'm certainly not going to agree.

Shrekko
11-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm in the disagree camp.

Seen worse but we need much more if we are going to continue always going wide to attack. Cairney back on form would be ideal but that's not going to happen overnight I'd guess.

Tonez
11-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Yes he ran the ball down the line a few times in the first half but he still didn't beat his man. He kicked the ball off him and got a corner cause he didn't have any other ideas on how to get past his marker.

School report card - room for a lot of improvement.

Pray4Marc
11-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Ivan was very poor for us this season. Didn't merit his hefty wage on what he shown this season. Wasn't given a chance from the start tho and look what he is doing at County. What I like about Done is his workrate and his directness.

There are certainly better wingers out their but ATM they are out of our price range. Harris also done well when coming on, persistently being fouled.

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Playing wide is not all about getting to the bye line and getting crosses in these days, its about taking the ball forward and getting the team up the park as a unit too.

And i see folk saying he never gets a cross in, but when only playing one up front its difficult to pick that one player out.

I have seen a lot worse than Done at easter road, and he puts a real shift in and does give us pace and width. He also keeps the ball better than most, even if it means turning back and giving the ball to someone in green, rather than pushing the ball past a defender and losing it.

HibeeN
11-03-2013, 09:00 AM
I thought he started the game well. Won a couple of corners and DID beat his man once or twice - delivery into the box could be better, but having more people in and around the box to attack the ball or pick up the scraps would help too.

Remember he did take a sore one from Mullen and was limping for quite a bit afterwards...maybe the knock affected his game a bit because he was quieter after that.

Having said that, Harris made a difference when he came on, very direct, and I think he did enough to merit a starting place on Friday. Whether that's replacing Done on the left or Spoony on the right, we will have to wait and see. (I know he can play on either side, but is he actually left or right footed?)

Pray4Marc
11-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Currently spoilt for choice in the midfield. I would keep Done and Spoony out wide. Harris on for whoever isnt performing or Handling. Even try Cairney thro the middle supporting Leigh.

We have plenty options, must get the 3 points against Motherwell.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Thought this lad was excellent in the 1st half, very direct, something we have been crying out for all season in the wider areas. Gave that Boris Johnson look a like a torrid time and how he never got booked beggars belief.

:pfgwa

Is that you Matt?

If so, firstly can I congratulate you on finally beating a player. It may be your 7th game for us but it's still a decent achievement.

Now that you've managed that I have a few other areas you should work on.

1. Striking the ball properly when crossing. It seems that you are kicking the ground first or perhaps a little too high up the ball.
2. Change direction. At the moment just seem to be running in a straight line. As a winger you need to change direction occasionally to confuse the defender. This is why at the end of each run the defender is still with you.
3. Vary the speed of your runs. This is another reason the defender is still with when you feel the need to cross it. Doing this means that it will be less easy for the full back to just jog along side you.

I think that'll do for now. Once you've mastered that we'll move on to adding a trick or 2 to your game. I feel that's a little far down the line at the moment for you so we'll get you to work on the basics first. One thing I would say is that you are excellent at passing the ball backwards to Lewis. Top marks on that:agree:

p.s. Can you give me the number of the guy that scouted you as i would like to be a professional footballer as well? Thanks in advance

Fergus52
11-03-2013, 09:16 AM
who do all you experts think we could have signed thats better?

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 09:24 AM

Louis Spence?

Treadstone
11-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Alan O'Brien.

Pray4Marc
11-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Is that you Matt?

If so, firstly can I congratulate you on finally beating a player. It may be your 7th game for us but it's still a decent achievement.

1. Striking the ball properly when crossing. It seems that you are kicking the ground first or perhaps a little too high up the ball.
2. Change direction. At the moment just seem to be running in a straight light. As a winger you need to change direction occasionally to confuse the defender. This is why at the end of each run the defender is still with you.
3. Vary the speed of your runs. This is another reason the defender is still with when you feel the need to cross it. Doing this means that it will be less easy for the full back to just jog along side you.

I think that'll do for now. Once you've mastered that we'll move on to adding a trick or 2 to your game. I feel that's a little far down the line at the moment for you so we'll get you to work on the basics first. One thing I would say is that you are excellent at passing the ball backwards to Lewis. Top marks on that:agree:

p.s. Can you give me the number of the guy that scouted you as i would like to be a professional footballer as well? Thanks in advance

So much negativity, post compiled of nonsense.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 09:36 AM
So much negativity, post compiled of nonsense.

Sorry Matt. I was just trying to provide some constructive feedback.

#FromTheCapital
11-03-2013, 09:38 AM

:agree:

Speedway
11-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Rarely takes a man on
No pace
Crossing is woeful
Tackling is poor.

Piss poor player.

I thought you were writing a Hibs Haiku then.

Man on wing
Imposter of truth
Presents nae assists
Gets to ****et

Got to disagree.

JimBHibees
11-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Playing wide is not all about getting to the bye line and getting crosses in these days, its about taking the ball forward and getting the team up the park as a unit too.

And i see folk saying he never gets a cross in, but when only playing one up front its difficult to pick that one player out.

I have seen a lot worse than Done at easter road, and he puts a real shift in and does give us pace and width. He also keeps the ball better than most, even if it means turning back and giving the ball to someone in green, rather than pushing the ball past a defender and losing it.

Agree with that actually thought he did ok and he gives the team more pace than we have and also is left sided so helps the balance.

The Voice Of Reason
11-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Agree with that actually thought he did ok and he gives the team more pace than we have and also is left sided so helps the balance.

Agreed !

Beefster
11-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Ah, the old "if you don't think a player is up to much, who would you sign instead?" argument. Give me the resources of Hibs' scouting department and I'll give you an answer within two months.

Speedy
11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Is his name pronounced Dunn or Dohn?

All the Hibees I've heard have been calling him Dunn but the TV commentators have called him Dohn in a couple of games.

clerriehibs
11-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Sarcasm, winston ingram. Funny as, eh, has us all cracking up. I hope you can do your job as well as you think Matt should; but then, if you were, why would you be posting on a forum?

The boy tried; your sarcasm doesn't take that away from him. Your sarcasm does you no favours, though.

MB62
11-03-2013, 01:46 PM
I didn't think Done was as bad as some are making him out to be and he gets himself in to the middle of the box at times too. As Blackpool points out, hitting the cross ball in to box for Griffiths on his own is a thankless task and is doing Done no favours.

After saying that though, I thought that Harris was more effective when he came on, maybe against a tiring defender.

Weir7
11-03-2013, 01:47 PM

The players fenlon wanted - swanson and wylde.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Sarcasm, winston ingram. Funny as, eh, has us all cracking up. I hope you can do your job as well as you think Matt should; but then, if you were, why would you be posting on a forum?

The boy tried; your sarcasm doesn't take that away from him. Your sarcasm does you no favours, though.

So are you saying people that post on internet forums (like you)are **** at their jobs?

Storar
11-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Poor player.

RIP
11-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Slow start to his Hibs career. Now playing on the correct wing. Gets in the penalty box.

Scored last week and came close yesterday

If he was a Arab, Jambo, Well or Killie player he would have 3 or 4 choices when cutting the ball back. With us he has only Leigh

No-one moved off the ball yesterday so when he picked up a pass he was facing off to 2 or 3 defenders

With our ultra defensive style we need more players running into the box

Up The Bracket
11-03-2013, 04:54 PM
I think he's complete *****.

Harris did more in his 20 minute cameo than he's done since he signed. Scored an open goal v Killie and that's it. I'm not one to slate players but this guy is awful.

marinello59
11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
I think he's complete *****.

Harris did more in his 20 minute cameo than he's done since he signed. Scored an open goal v Killie and that's it. I'm not one to slate players but this guy is awful.

Obviously you are. :greengrin

flash
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
I think with friends like some of you lot who needs enemies.

Fergus52
11-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Ah, the old "if you don't think a player is up to much, who would you sign instead?" argument. Give me the resources of Hibs' scouting department and I'll give you an answer within two months.

Everyone's being overly critical of his performances and calling him a Pish signing.

Just over 6 months ago Barnsley rejected a 500k bid for him.

Fergus52
11-03-2013, 05:41 PM
The players fenlon wanted - swanson and wylde.

We did our best to sign wylde, but Bolton messed us about over the percentage of his wage we were to pay and in the end asked for too much. Nothing we could have done about that unless you want to end up like hearts.

JimBHibees
11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
I think with friends like some of you lot who needs enemies.

Tend to agree with that incredibly critical of a guy who has played 2 or 3 times and no coincidence IMO we havent lost in a game he has played. He has some pace and gives us balance.

Pray4Marc
11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Tend to agree with that incredibly critical of a guy who has played 2 or 3 times and no coincidence IMO we havent lost in a game he has played. He has some pace and gives us balance.

The tremendous work rate helps defensively also. The negativity towards him is completely ridiculous.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2013, 06:12 PM

:agree: Looks a decent player with possibly more to come, definitely gives us a different option.

clerriehibs
11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
So are you saying people that post on internet forums (like you)are **** at their jobs?

No, I'm not. Just make it up as you go along, eh.

hibs4thecup1988
11-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Is that you Matt?

2. Change direction. At the moment just seem to be running in a straight line. As a winger you need to change direction occasionally to confuse the defender. This is why at the end of each run the defender is still with you.

Load. Of. Pish.

hibs4thecup1988
11-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Slow start to his Hibs career. Now playing on the correct wing. Gets in the penalty box.

Scored last week and came close yesterday

If he was a Arab, Jambo, Well or Killie player he would have 3 or 4 choices when cutting the ball back. With us he has only Leigh

No-one moved off the ball yesterday so when he picked up a pass he was facing off to 2 or 3 defenders

With our ultra defensive style we need more players running into the box

Agreed. 100%

Up The Bracket
11-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Obviously you are. :greengrin

I rarely slate players, I hate the way the likes of Wotherspoon and Maybury are treated at Easter Road. Obviously I get behind him 100% but he's just not good enough I'm afraid.

Get Harris and Cairney/Doyle on the wings for Friday night :agree:

eastterrace
11-03-2013, 07:36 PM
he does give the team a better balance but we were told he is a tricky winger beating full backs and getting good crosses in, well i just aint seen much of that:flag:

Beefster
11-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Everyone's being overly critical of his performances and calling him a Pish signing.

Just over 6 months ago Barnsley rejected a 500k bid for him.

I agree with you about Done. I don't think he's been great but he's been far from the worst lately. He's also battling against our midfield and their complete lack of mobility.

I can't believe that Barnsley rejected a big bid for him only to punt him out on loan not long afterwards.

Fergus52
11-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I agree with you about Done. I don't think he's been great but he's been far from the worst lately. He's also battling against our midfield and their complete lack of mobility.

I can't believe that Barnsley rejected a big bid for him only to punt him out on loan not long afterwards.

I know, whilst I think he's an allright player that does seem a bit far fetched. But the Barnsley fans who posted on here said it pretty confidently and when I looked on their forums most posters were moaning that they didn't accept it when they could have. A few papers reported it to I think

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 09:02 PM

He's played 7 times

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 09:03 PM
No, I'm not. Just make it up as you go along, eh.

You need to speak English mate

hibs4thecup1988
11-03-2013, 09:13 PM
He's played 7 times

All starts?

I'm guessing 3 starts and 4 appearances from the bench after ?c.80 minutes?

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 09:19 PM
All starts?

I'm guessing 3 starts and 4 appearances from the bench after ?c.80 minutes?

Came on for 20 mins v Aberdeen in the cup and has started the other 6

hibs4thecup1988
11-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Fair enough.

Even still its incredible after 7 appearances some fans think a player is gash. Yes its frustrating he doesn't beat a man. But neither have any of ours so called wingers this season. Still find it incredible he let sproule go. But neever mind.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Fair enough.

Even still its incredible after 7 appearances some fans think a player is gash. Yes its frustrating he doesn't beat a man. But neither have any of ours so called wingers this season. Still find it incredible he let sproule go. But neever mind.

Hardly incredible. How many would you say you'd need? I could tell within minutes of watching Alex Harris he had ability. I've seen every minute of his performances with the exception of the St Mirren game and i've not seen an ounce. The man is a winger which is a position at this level requires pace & skill or at least one of those abilities.

As for neither of our so called wingers not beating players, Spoony for the 1st couple of months consistently did and Cairney had been up until his recent drop in form.

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Came on for 20 mins v Aberdeen in the cup and has started the other 6

And we have won 3 drawn 3 and lost 1. Compare the previous 7 games where we won 1 drew 4 and lost 2, i'd say he's made a difference along with Robertson.

Jonnyboy
11-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Poor player.

Hibs.net in a nutshell. First post since January and it's to slag of a guy who plays for the team he supports

hibsbollah
11-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Im baffled by this criticism :dunno: He did well against StJohnstone and has been average ever since. Not bad, just average. In seven games. Give the lad a chance.

Bostonhibby
11-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Im baffled by this criticism :dunno: He did well against StJohnstone and has been average ever since. Not bad, just average. In seven games. Give the lad a chance.

:agree: Don't think that Claros got off to a flyer either, knocking this guy too early?

hibsbollah
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
:agree: Don't think that Claros got off to a flyer either, knocking this guy too early?

Griffiths started slow when he first arrived as well, he'd played more than seven games and i remember quite a few posts on here writing him off.

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 10:02 PM
And we have won 3 drawn 3 and lost 1. Compare the previous 7 games where we won 1 drew 4 and lost 2, i'd say he's made a difference along with Robertson.

He's 1 player in a whole team so i don't think that's really a measure of a players quality.

I'd agree with Robertson who has showed bucket loads of ability

blackpoolhibs
11-03-2013, 10:05 PM
He's 1 player in a whole team so i don't think that's really a measure of a players quality.

I'd agree with Robertson who has showed bucket loads of ability

Robertson has not shown ability in buckets, he's been average in some and better in others, much like Done. But since both have arrived our results HAVE picked up, i wonder why? :rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 10:10 PM

I'd agree he's been average at best but 7 games is alot of games and i'd a least of expected to see even a flash of ability in that time but he hasn't shown anything. He's an attacking wide player and pace and ability is primary requirement for that position. You can usually tell a player within a couple of touches like Harris as i said earlier. Here we are 7 games down the line and we're still waiting

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Robertson has not shown ability in buckets, he's been average in some and better in others, much like Done. But since both have arrived our results HAVE picked up, i wonder why? :rolleyes:

I never said Robertson had been consistent. He's been better in some games than in others but has clearly got a lot of talent. Results have picked up but i'd put that down to the fact we're harder to beat as we've stuck an extra man in midfield.

If you want to put that down all down to Matt Done then that's up to you

Winston Ingram
11-03-2013, 10:18 PM

He didn't but you could see he had talent. He was a lightweight but at least he had to something to work with

gegs70
12-03-2013, 01:09 AM
I thought Harris did much better than Done. But to be honest a lot of the game was lost by the constant high balls out of defence...panic fitba.

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I never said Robertson had been consistent. He's been better in some games than in others but has clearly got a lot of talent. Results have picked up but i'd put that down to the fact we're harder to beat as we've stuck an extra man in midfield.

If you want to put that down all down to Matt Done then that's up to you

I never said that either, i said since both of them arrived, our results have improved. Yet rather than see that, you'd rather pull a player apart, one who along with Robertson have helped do this?

Maybe you'd prefer if we didn't improve? :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
12-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Yep knee jerk nonsense as usual. Our results have improved since he and Robertson started playing yet some seem determined to right him off. Way too early.

Bostonhibby
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
He didn't but you could see he had talent. He was a lightweight but at least he had to something to work with

Like many I had never heard of Claros before he arrived and you could hardly say we scouted him! thankfully he worked out well and he is also a great character but he got some stick early on, many like me gave him a fair bit of time, same as I am doing with Done.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Like many I had never heard of Claros before he arrived and you could hardly say we scouted him! thankfully he worked out well and he is also a great character but he got some stick early on, many like me gave him a fair bit of time, same as I am doing with Done.

Who said we scouted him?

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I never said that either, i said since both of them arrived, our results have improved. Yet rather than see that, you'd rather pull a player apart, one who along with Robertson have helped do this?

Maybe you'd prefer if we didn't improve? :rolleyes:

The only thing that is happened is that we have been harder to beat and as i've said it's far more likely that it's down to us going to 5 in midfield rather than 4. Yet with little or no evidence you are trying to pass off the fact that cos we now have a one paced winger who can't perform the primary functions of a winger of beating a man and crossing a ball we are now a better team. Then to top it all off you finish with an incredibly amateur statement that i'd 'prefer if we didn't improve'.

Like many others on this thread i've noticed over a sustained period of matches he's shown absolutely nothing

hibsbollah
12-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Yep knee jerk nonsense as usual. Our results have improved since he and Robertson started playing yet some seem determined to right him off. Way too early.

I accept there comes a point when you cut your losses. Theres a middle ground for when its appropriate that you give up on someone. Sauzee as manager 69 days? Too short a time. Alan O'Brien, 2 years and a week and 47 appearances without a goal or assist? Too long.

I think after 7 games Done falls into the first category...

Golden Bear
12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
With the present system of play, ANY winger will have his work cut out to make an effective contribution due to the lack of support players. There have been numerous occasions recently when the wide players has been left isolated with 2 or 3 defenders around them and not a teammate within 30 yards. And if they did happen to cross the ball into the box inevitably we have only one attacking player there to meet it.

It all boils down to a lack of support from midfield and although as a team we are difficult to break down, we are still failing miserably to create goalscoring opportunities.

The_Sauz
12-03-2013, 12:43 PM
@Winston Ingram
As you are not a qualified coach, I will leave team picking to PF! If he thinks Done is good enough to play in the first team, then I'm happy with that!:agree: The same goes for all the players that get shot down on .Net!
(btw I'm not a fan of DW, but if he gets picked...he get my support)

Bostonhibby
12-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Who said we scouted him?
Okay, replace scouted with however it was we decided he was worth signing, over and out.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 12:56 PM
@Winston Ingram
As you are not a qualified coach, I will leave team picking to PF! If he thinks Done is good enough to play in the first team, then I'm happy with that!:agree: The same goes for all the players that get shot down on .Net!
(btw I'm not a fan of DW, but if he gets picked...he get my support)

So i take it we now can't comment on a player unless we are qualified coaches? Might as well shut down the forum then. I've not once said he doesn't get my support, I've just noticed over a sustained period he's *****

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Okay, replace scouted with however it was we decided he was worth signing, over and out.

What you've just said is scouting. When i said 'you could see he had talent' I was talking about his first game in his 1st few touches.

clerriehibs
12-03-2013, 01:03 PM
You need to speak English mate

Sorry; too many syllables for you? Mate.

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 01:05 PM
The only thing that is happened is that we have been harder to beat and as i've said it's far more likely that it's down to us going to 5 in midfield rather than 4. Yet with little or no evidence you are trying to pass off the fact that cos we now have a one paced winger who can't perform the primary functions of a winger of beating a man and crossing a ball we are now a better team. Then to top it all off you finish with an incredibly amateur statement that i'd 'prefer if we didn't improve'.

Like many others on this thread i've noticed over a sustained period of matches he's shown absolutely nothing

Only if you ignored the results? The 7 games previous to him signing were 1 win 4 draws and 2 defeats. The 7 games since he signed are 3 wins 3 draws and 1 defeat. So yes apart from being completely wrong, you are spot on.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Only if you ignored the results? The 7 games previous to him signing were 1 win 4 draws and 2 defeats. The 7 games since he signed are 3 wins 3 draws and 1 defeat. So yes apart from being completely wrong, you are spot on.

So our upturn in form is all down to Matt Done?

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Sorry; too many syllables for you? Mate.

I think you need to go back to yer English classes. That sentence alone is superb.

clerriehibs
12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
I think you need to go back to yer English classes. That sentence alone is superb.

Aye, whatever, sonny.

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
So our upturn in form is all down to Matt Done?

Who said that? Our results are better with him than without, wouldn't you agree?

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Who said that? Our results are better with him than without, wouldn't you agree?

They are so back to my question, are you implying our better results are solely down to him?

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 01:25 PM
They are so back to my question, are you implying our better results are solely down to him?

Well I'm no Winston Ingram, but id say hes helped.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Well I'm no Winston Ingram, but id say hes helped.

I'm sure everyone who appeared on the pitch for us in all those games has 'helped' in some way. Doesn't make them good players.

clerriehibs
12-03-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm sure everyone who appeared on the pitch for us in all those games has 'helped' in some way. Doesn't make them good players.

You'd have to have been there to know.

The_Sauz
12-03-2013, 01:46 PM
So i take it we now can't comment on a player unless we are qualified coaches? Might as well shut down the forum then. I've not once said he doesn't get my support, I've just noticed over a sustained period he's *****

Well this is what you want Matt Done to do, then whats the point in having Pat Fenlon? If you don't like the guy, then fair enough! But to come out with this crap is just mind blowing!
Like I said! you are not a coach, nor do you have any input into the tactics that both team & players receive pre-match, and that's why I prefer Pat Fenlon to pick the team and tactics.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Well this is what you want Matt Done to do, then whats the point in having Pat Fenlon? If you don't like the guy, then fair enough! But to come out with this crap is just mind blowing!
Like I said! you are not a coach, nor do you have any input into the tactics that both team & players receive pre-match, and that's why I prefer Pat Fenlon to pick the team and tactics.

We're on an internet forum that's full of threads about players. Are we only to sit here and blow smoke up their arse?

I think i've seen enough football over the years to work out the basics of what winger does. Just simple comparisons to other wingers and seeing what they do and what he does is dead easy.

Sorry if that's a bit difficult for you to understand, but then again if you found the previous comments 'mind-blowing' i'd understand why you'd find that difficult:agree:

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Well since we signed him our team has been better, this is down to the manager bringing in a player you don't rate, its just not on Pat.

The_Sauz
12-03-2013, 02:16 PM
We're on an internet forum that's full of threads about players. Are we only to sit here and blow smoke up their arse?

I think i've seen enough football over the years to work out the basics of what winger does. Just simple comparisons to other wingers and seeing what they do and what he does is dead easy.

Sorry if that's a bit difficult for you to understand, but then again if you found the previous comments 'mind-blowing' i'd understand why you'd find that difficult:agree:
Have you ever thought that what you want and expect from a player, is not the same as what a qualified coach/managers wants or expects a player to do during a game, or do you think that as fan who has watched football many years, you know better?

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 02:21 PM
To be honest, we all have different opinions on players, but to completely ignore what's happened since he's arrived is just stupid. And to make things up to justify that point is ridiculous.

The_Sauz
12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
After all those years of playing for my primary/High school and not to mention Boy Club & Junior football you would have thought I would have picked that up....wow I wished I had you as a coach :rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 07:04 PM
To be honest, we all have different opinions on players, but to completely ignore what's happened since he's arrived is just stupid. And to make things up to justify that point is ridiculous.

what have i made up?

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 07:27 PM
what have i made up?

Having Done in the team and changing to 5 in midfield only made us harder to beat? First off we were playing 4-5-1 before he came, and since he arrived we have turned more games from draws into wins and have less defeats.

I know those facts don't suite your argument, but you did ask.

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Having Done in the team and changing to 5 in midfield only made us harder to beat? First off we were playing 4-5-1 before he came, and since he arrived we have turned more games from draws into wins and have less defeats.

I know those facts don't suite your argument, but you did ask.

Now who's making stuff up?

In the prev 3 games we played 4-3-3 at Ross County with Handling behind the front 2, 442 at Aberdeen & at home to Dundee. We played 4-5-1 at against Celtic & Hearts to make us harder to beat and of course didn't get beat. The only game I believe we've lost all season playing 4-5-1 was the 1st game of the season at Dundee Utd 7 months ago.

Bostonhibby
12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
What you've just said is scouting. When i said 'you could see he had talent' I was talking about his first game in his 1st few touches.

You got me there on the scouting point:thumbsup: its one way to spot a player, but not exclusive. For the sake of this debate you seem to have spotted Claros after his last minute signing but in his first game. I don't know any Hibbies who had heard of him 24 hours before he couldn't sign for oldhun where he was headed before their demise.

What I was hoping to get across in relation to the comparison with Done was simply that its probably better not to crucify anyone early on - for example it might well have been possible for you to see the excellent player Claros was going to become in the first game you mention but he had games early on where he struggled for whatever reason - that horrible cup final for example.

Players can take time to show their true ability, I am prepared to give everyone that we select the same chance. I don't feel Done has been so good or bad as to incur such wrath this early on especially when I look back over the last couple of seasons. Any recent new signing who cost nothing, is 7 games in, and scores a goal but isn't called Griffiths has to be a stand out!

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Now who's making stuff up?

In the prev 3 games we played 4-3-3 at Ross County with Handling behind the front 2, 442 at Aberdeen & at home to Dundee. We played 4-5-1 at against Celtic & Hearts to make us harder to beat and of course didn't get beat. The only game I believe we've lost all season playing 4-5-1 was the 1st game of the season at Dundee Utd 7 months ago.

It was a flexible 4-5-1 and never 4-4-3 before Done signed, with us playing the odd game as a 4-4-2 which never seemed to work well, which i commented on after the St Johnstone game.

Its funny how all season nearly everyone has been complaining about us only playing Griffiths up front on his own, and you have us playing 3 up front? :faf:

Where i have made things up is not mentioning mostly? :rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 09:53 PM
It was a flexible 4-5-1 and never 4-4-3 before Done signed, with us playing the odd game as a 4-4-2 which never seemed to work well, which i commented on after the St Johnstone game.

Its funny how all season nearly everyone has been complaining about us only playing Griffiths up front on his own, and you have us playing 3 up front? :faf:

Where i have made things up is not mentioning mostly? :rolleyes:

Are you winding me up? We've been mostly 442 all season with Doyle up top with Griffiths. We've only started regularly deploying a 451 since the start of Feb. Prior to that we only started with it against Utd 1st game, Celtic at home & Hearts at Tynecastle

As for me having us playing us 4-3-3, nowt to do with me. We had a front 2 with Doyle & Griffiths up top with Handling playing in behind. I suppose that could be described as 442 with Handling at the top of the diamond but one thing it certainly wasn't was a 451.

I think you just categorically proved who is making stuff up and it's no me.

451 nearly all season:thumbsup::top marks

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Are you winding me up? We've been mostly 442 all season with Doyle up top with Griffiths. We've only started regularly deploying a 451 since the start of Feb. Prior to that we only started with it against Utd 1st game, Celtic at home & Hearts at Tynecastle

As for me having us playing us 4-3-3, nowt to do with me. We had a front 2 with Doyle & Griffiths up top with Handling playing in behind. I suppose that could be described as 442 with Handling at the top of the diamond but one thing it certainly wasn't was a 451.

We watch a different game. :rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
12-03-2013, 10:03 PM

By the sounds of things you don't watch many at all:agree:

Jonnyboy
12-03-2013, 10:04 PM

By the sounds of things you don't watch many at all:agree:

Get a room you pair :wink:

stoneyburn hibs
12-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Still far too early to decide if he is any good and when he has played enough games , he will be away back home .

Pray4Marc
13-03-2013, 09:00 AM

"As for me having us playing us 4-3-3, nowt to do with me. We had a front 2 with Doyle & Griffiths up top with Handling playing in behind. I suppose that could be described as 442 with Handling at the top of the diamond but one thing it certainly wasn't was a 451."

This is utter s****. You have not put forward a valid point in this entire thread, lies, ignorance & negativity.

SMAXXA
13-03-2013, 09:12 AM

At no point have we played a 443.

If anything we have played a 4411, with Cairney as an example playing in the hole, motherwell game away as example.

Let's also not forget when Doyle played he has been utilised out wide aswell so not a 442.

Agree we had played with the 442 a few times this season but feel the 451 has been the more chosen formation by Fenlon.

Heisenberg
13-03-2013, 09:22 AM
We started the season off as a 442, was very effective for the first round of games, teams found out how to stop us playing in that formation so we had to change it up to the 451 effort we are seeing now.

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2013, 09:30 AM
We started the season off as a 442, was very effective for the first round of games, teams found out how to stop us playing in that formation so we had to change it up to the 451 effort we are seeing now.

We did, but while i agree with what you say Doyle who was mostly Griffiths partner was utilised during a lot of those games as an extra midfielder when required. He was the player who dropped back to help out, leaving 1 up at times even in those early games.

We did start as a 4-4-2, but it changed during these games to 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 and even back to 4-4-2. Yet getting back to Done, Our results have improved since he arrived, of that their is no doubt.

Heisenberg
13-03-2013, 09:34 AM
We did, but while i agree with what you say Doyle who was mostly Griffiths partner was utilised during a lot of those games as an extra midfielder when required. He was the player who dropped back to help out, leaving 1 up at times even in those early games.

We did start as a 4-4-2, but it changed during these games to 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 and even back to 4-4-2. Yet getting back to Done, Our results have improved since he arrived, of that their is no doubt.

Think Done has been ok, nowhere near as bad as made out to be. Tin hat on but he's actually contributed more out wide than Cairney has recently, the latter has looked completely wasted wide left since the turn of the year.

blackpoolhibs
13-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Think Done has been ok, nowhere near as bad as made out to be. Tin hat on but he's actually contributed more out wide than Cairney has recently, the latter has looked completely wasted wide left since the turn of the year.

I agree. :agree:

The_Sauz
13-03-2013, 01:13 PM
General question......How many games has mat Done played this season? I know he had a bad injury at the start of the season, but how many game did he play for Barnsley (12/13) before he came here :confused:

Speedway
13-03-2013, 10:08 PM
The most scything criticism I have of our wide options, is that having watched 90 minute re-runs of a lot of the McLeish era matches recently, Alen Orman would stroll into our current side on either flank.

Scouse Hibee
13-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Has Matt Done lived up to my expectations?............No

Where my expectations too high?........................Probably

I sincerely hope there's more to him than what I have seen so far.

sahib
13-03-2013, 10:22 PM

Where my expectations to high?........................Probably

Let's not rush to judgement. Claros was written off by many last season. I try to keep my expectations low. I maybe cynical, at times, about our signings, but once they take to the pitch I try to be fair.

Scouse Hibee
13-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Let's not rush to judgement. Claros was written off by many last season. I try to keep my expectations low. I maybe cynical, at times, about our signings, but once they take to the pitch I try to be fair.

I am not rushing to judgement, but 7 games in and I am disappointed.

jodjam
13-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Where my expectations to high?........................Probably

Pretty much sums it up for me

Allant1981
15-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Sorry but the guy just doesnt have it, harris done more when he came on last week and more tonight. Easy swap imo for next time out

GoldenEagle
15-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Matt Done, looks like a player the manager has never seen before signing him.. Oh wait a minute...

Harris has done more in 15 mins than Done since signing btw

LaMotta
15-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Sorry but the guy just doesnt have it, harris done more when he came on last week and more tonight. Easy swap imo for next time out

Done is absolutely ****** terrible. Has no right foot, powderpuff in the tackle, gives away posession constantly and canny beat a man.

Offers nothing. A fat cairney is a far better option.

Gala Foxes
15-03-2013, 10:54 PM
His surname is maybe Done but has he ever "done" a full back ?

Guy looks like he lacks belief confidence & more sadly commitment