PDA

View Full Version : Should Doyle Have Done Better?

Sas_The_Hibby
10-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Whilst Griffith's goal obviously should have been awarded, I thought Doyle was also seriously at fault for making no effort to follow up and bundle the ball into the net, but stopping and claiming for the goal instead.

Surely a striker should stick the ball in the net, if he gets the chance, and ask questions later.

Doyle may have been beaten to the ball by the defender but he didn't even try.

This annoyed me almost more than the refereeing decision, which was presumably a genuine mistake, whereas Doyle just wasn't thinking.

hibee_girl
10-03-2013, 08:43 PM
To be fair he probably thought it would be given as a goal so wasn't thinking about needing to get the rebound.

BoltonHibee
10-03-2013, 08:43 PM
With the ball that far over the line it was probably more natural to claim for the goal that to try and get it back in. I wouldn't blame him really.

He is ***** though

Peevemor
10-03-2013, 08:46 PM
With the ball that far over the line it was probably more natural to claim for the goal that to try and get it back in. I wouldn't blame him really.

He is ***** though

I thought he did well enough when he came on.

hibee_girl
10-03-2013, 08:47 PM

He is ***** though

Hardly!

He's not been performing well lately which is why he's been benched but I still say he's one of our most intelligent football players, he did very well today when he came on.

coco22
10-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Whilst Griffith's goal obviously should have been awarded, I thought Doyle was also seriously at fault for making no effort to follow up and bundle the ball into the net, but stopping and claiming for the goal instead.

Surely a striker should stick the ball in the net, if he gets the chance, and ask questions later.

This annoyed me almost more than the refereeing decision, which was presumably a genuine mistake, whereas Doyle just wasn't thinking.

I would say that the natural reaction is to celebrate / claim the goal - especially if you have clearly seen the ball cross the line. I get what you are saying but the guy was probably so shocked that the goal hadn't been given. The only ones to blame here are the officials.

Vault Boy
10-03-2013, 08:48 PM

:agree: Agreed. Good feet at times, kept the ball, put in a decent cross and won a couple of corners. Better than recent weeks.

The ball always looked to be Webster's, he's a big lump too, so Doyler wouldn't have had much of a chance if he was closer, so no she shouldn't have done better in my opinion. The linesman should have.

BoltonHibee
10-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Hardly!

He's not been performing well lately which is why he's been benched but I still say he's one of our most intelligent football players, he did very well today when he came on.

I think he is *****, would be gobsmacked if he was offered another contract.

Pretty Boy
10-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Agree.

We got a few corners and throw ins from his work rate and directness when he came on.

God Petrie
10-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Embarrassing thread

Bleeds green
10-03-2013, 08:52 PM

He is ***** though

Are you being serious??

He's maybe no superstar and griffiths is head and shoulder above him but my no means is he ***** Doyle has been a good signing and been one of the reasons the team has steadily improved

JimBHibees
10-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I agree with the OP as thought the same at the time Robertson also could have tried to score.

BoltonHibee
10-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Are you being serious??

He's maybe no superstar and griffiths is head and shoulder above him but my no means is he ***** Doyle has been a good signing and been one of the reasons the team has steadily improved

Yes I'm being completely serious. I would prefer the youngsters were played prior to that talentless lad.

Sas_The_Hibby
10-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Embarrassing thread

Why?

HibeeN
10-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Hardly!

Agreed. :agree: I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that his form since around Christmas hasn't been good enough, but he has still scored 8 goals this season and got a few assists too - clear signs that there is a decent player in him. He hasn't been helped by the fact that Cairney and Spoony have gone off the boil - it's meant he's not seen as much of the ball when he has played and has been unable to link up as well. In comparison, there are large spells of the game where Griffiths is completely uninvolved and isolated - but Griffiths has that ability to create something from nothing and still get goals. Doyle relies on more support from his teammates, which he hadn't been getting prior to him being dropped.

I think he did well enough when he came on today. If Spoony were to drop out for Friday's game, I'd imagine it will be between Doyle and Cairney for that right-midfield spot. If he could grab a goal I'm sure it would be great for his confidence.

danhibees1875
10-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Only replay I've seen didn't show enough for me to decide - it looked like the ball was about to take a large bounce over Doyle's head - and at the time I was half celebrating/half looking at the linesman/half confused (Aye, all 1.5 of me). It'd be great to say 'aye, always put it in' but I guess it doesn't always work like that. Didn't seem to stop Hearts from playing though...

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Webster was switched on enough to follow in and look to clear. I don't expect to see Doyle at ER next season,

500miles
10-03-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm a fan of Doyle's. For his first full season, in which he's been in and out of the team, and played as much as a winger as a striker of late, 8 goals is a decent return so far. I would have him in the team ahead of Wotherspoon right now.

For me, the ball was that far over the line, I would imagine that he thought it was a clear goal. He's suffered
after a good start to the season. Like Cairney, his form has dipped, but I think we have looked better when he's come on, against Killie at ER and today. He's direct, not afraid to run at players and his movement is good. Will be a big player for us next season, especially with Leigh gone.

Sudds_1
10-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Agree.

We got a few corners and throw ins from his work rate and directness when he came on.

did more than spoony for the time he was on. Thought he looked ok.

IberianHibernian
10-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Thought Doyle did well when he came on and in Killie league game and in both matches it`s a pity he wasn`t on sooner . His goal record was good before dip in LG`s form and change in team set up before Christmas and even then Doyle has done well in non - striking position like against Celtic . Certainly hope he`s with us next season . As for OP I`d assume Doyle assumed goal would be given .

Fergus52
10-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Yes I'm being completely serious. I would prefer the youngsters were played prior to that talentless lad.

pffft. thank **** you're no a scout

Tricla
10-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Glad you're no the manager then.

Springbank
10-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Sorry, I don't agree with you (though I'll not join in the name calling)

On the Thread topic, I'm not convinced it's a "natural" reaction for a goalscorer to be second to any ball in the 6 yard box. I'd compare with Griffiths for his 2nd at Killie…I'll bang it in the pokey and let's ask questions later, while I'm off celebrating with my fans etc. That's instinct.

Also, regarding the specific point raised in this topic that the young lads might be better, I thought Harris was one of the most positive players on the park when he came on. Let's hope those good habits don't get coached out of him, he looked fantastic I thought.

The_Sauz
10-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I think he is *****, would be gobsmacked if he was offered another contract.
This coming from the guy who came on here and told us that Vas Te was never a footballer :confused:

Hibercelona
10-03-2013, 10:19 PM

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

He hasn't been the most prolific, but he has scored important goals for us this season while providing plenty of assistance to Griffiths.

He has very good positional sense and is sometimes guilty of being ahead of the game.

Nomeancity
10-03-2013, 10:24 PM

Yes he should have done better. Compare the hearts defence today at the free kick - Webster first to it. And our defence at the kille goal last week. Rebound from keeper beardie boy to it first.

doyle should have been first to it. That said happy to keep Doyle for next season - he has done ok.

spoony or Doyle - Doyle every time. Spoony is as bad as I have seen for a long time.

Crossgates Hibs
10-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Thought he had a decent game and looks good out wide where I believe was his position prior to Hibs and should maybe stay there rather than an out and out striker

LaMotta
10-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Having just watched it again, several times, there is NO CHANCE that any Hibs player could get to the ball before before Webster. To have a go at Doyle for that is not fair.

tamig
10-03-2013, 11:08 PM
For those slagging off Doyle, just think back to that Celtic game just before new year. He played wide on the right that day, worked his socks off and looked the business. I'd be more than happy to see him play there if PF sticks with the 4-5-1 - which seems to be the preferred formation for the players we have.

TheFamous1875
10-03-2013, 11:11 PM
I'd like the idea of Doyle as an all round wide-midfielder who can defend AND attack. He can do both and, from recall, he can do it on both sides. Maybe Left would be even better as he could cut in and shoot with his right peg? Regardless, this is where I can see him being best utilised within the squad. He's not Sparky (wrong to compare the two) he's Eoin Doyle, winger extraordinaire - who can also play up front.
The obvious main gripe with the boy is his bottle in front of goal - I think with game time/experience his confidence will improve and this (fingers crossed) will be less of an issue. I remember his first touch being horrific at Killie last week, and he laughed it off with the crowd - he should be raging at himself and work on it at training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TheFamous1875
10-03-2013, 11:15 PM
For those slagging off Doyle, just think back to that Celtic game just before new year. He played wide on the right that day, worked his socks off and looked the business. I'd be more than happy to see him play there if PF sticks with the 4-5-1 - which seems to be the preferred formation for the players we have.

He was ****in BANG ON for the Celtic game, my man of the match. Again though, if he had that extra killer instinct in front of goal, it could've been 3/4 nil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Nae need. You disagree so just say "I disagree" and dinnae resort to childish name calling

To be fair the guys not far off the mark John. :wink:

Sir David Gray
10-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Having watched it again on Sportscene a wee while ago, there is no chance that Doyle could have got to that ball ahead of Webster, even if he hadn't been claiming for the goal.

To blame him is very harsh.

madabouthibs
10-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Doyle was much more effective than Spoony today, there's no way he could get to that rebound before Webster, who incidentally I thought was immense today. Dealt with everything we hoofed up the park today.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 11:26 PM
To be fair the guys not far off the mark John. :wink:

Shut it ya clown :faf:

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Having watched it again on Sportscene a wee while ago, there is no chance that Doyle could have got to that ball ahead of Webster, even if he hadn't been claiming for the goal.

To blame him is very harsh.

This.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Shut it ya clown :faf:

I mean it John, i have had to put up with his texts and phone calls all day, he's running out of his medication. :greengrin

The_Sauz
10-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Having just watched it again, several times, there is NO CHANCE that any Hibs player could get to the ball before before Webster. To have a go at Doyle for that is not fair.

:top marks Doyle was on the far side of the "D" compared to Webster, who had a straight run at the ball and was about a yard in front of Doyle when the ball came out:agree:

Jim44
10-03-2013, 11:38 PM
We have to have a whipping boy ; perm anyone from Wotherspoon, Doyle, Maybury and now maybe Thomson. Give it a break and support all our players.

Heisenberg
10-03-2013, 11:41 PM
The linesman should've done better IMO.

Heedersnvolleys
10-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Definitely

BoltonHibee
11-03-2013, 05:47 AM
This coming from the guy who came on here and told us that Vas Te was never a footballer :confused:

I think you should probably check what I actually said about Vaz Te. Nothing I said about him was incorrect. Glad he has his carrier back on track. A lot of hard work from a lot of people around him.

BoltonHibee
11-03-2013, 05:47 AM
pffft. thank **** you're no a scout

LoL

BoltonHibee
11-03-2013, 05:49 AM
I mean it John, i have had to put up with his texts and phone calls all day, he's running out of his medication. :greengrin

:)

I presume those that think he has talent at this level would be quite happy for him to sign a new contract?

Hainan Hibs
11-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Would be easy for me to say he should be knocking it over the line but when it is THAT far over the natural reaction has to be to celebrate/claim the goal.

Pray4Marc
11-03-2013, 07:47 AM

I understand what you are saying "Too make sure" but lets be honest, everyone in the ground except the officials seen that was a goal. Its just natural for him to celebrate IMO.

I thought he done well when he came on, offers much more defensively than Spoony does, his positioning at times is shocking. Showed glimpses of magic today but its all to inconsistent. Will be interesting to see if Doyle gets a new contract, surely worth a punt as he will currently be on sweetie money.