PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon

AugustaHibs
10-03-2013, 03:29 PM
most incompetent "winger" ive ever seen, why cant he run at people? swap him for harris Paddy please.

tragic.

Wotherspiniesta
10-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Thought he was quite tidy, but wasn't very penetrating. Think we should have got the ball out to him more, as when he did have a run at McHattie, he had the beating of him. Still cannot believe Maybury never passed the ball to him when he was in acres of space inside the box.

Hardly a "tragic" performance.

BoltonHibee
10-03-2013, 03:34 PM
He was poor today

West hamBERNIAN
10-03-2013, 03:35 PM
most incompetent "winger" ive ever seen, why cant he run at people? swap him for harris Paddy please.

tragic.

Didn't impress today at all, when Doyle came on he instantly looked more direct and dangerous, getting to the by line and won a couple of corners. Know who I'd pick next week. Though Harris did look quality when he came on.

Piqué
10-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Disappointing to see him play like that after last weeks much improved performance. Really needs to add some consistency to his game. Would need to be sometime very soon if he wants a new contract.

hibee_girl
10-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Thought he was quite tidy, but wasn't very penetrating. Think we should have got the ball out to him more, as when he did have a run at McHattie, he had the beating of him. Still cannot believe Maybury never passed the ball to him when he was in acres of space inside the box.

:agree:

I think the main word to describe him today was frustrating. He had plenty of chances to run at them but didn't. His defending was good today but he does look like he's panicking at times.

adhibs
10-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Waste of a jersey. Sooner his contracts up the better

West hamBERNIAN
10-03-2013, 03:37 PM

But not far off it, he looked good in the cup last week but definitely was not good today.

Hainan Hibs
10-03-2013, 03:37 PM
When Hearts play such ***** fullbacks we needed to be exploiting it instead of thumping it down the throat of Webster. The one time Wotherspoon had a run at McHattie he was brought down, won a free kick, and got the yam booked.

Didn't happen enough and it was a frustrating performance.

Pretty Boy
10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
He is either the least confident person ever or just totally disinterested. Not sure how he stayed on the park as long as he did today.

Very poor, looks so slow and the cutting inside every time is so frustrating because th one timehe ran at McHattie, who's murder by the way, he won a free kick and got him booked.

Doyle won about 4 corners after coming on, not by doing anything special but simply by putting the full back under pressure.

DrewDogg1875
10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Still have a feeling in my bones that he's worth retaining but he wasn't great today. Must add confidence & consistency!

Brightside
10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I can put up with a lack of skill - but i cannot have players who dont put in the effort. Lazy player

HibernianJK
10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
The single most frustrating footballer i've ever seen

CallumHibs07

tragic.

That would be Matt Done.. abysmal player

Hibercelona
When he runs at players, he looks dangerious.

But he only seems to do this once in a blue moon. :confused:

givescotlandfreedom
10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
When he runs at players, he looks dangerious.

But he only seems to do this once in a blue moon. :confused:

The only time he did a merrick to a booking to stop him. Very frustrating.

Scottie
10-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Poor player imo
Fails to achieve any kind of consistency
Can't even say he tries 100% as most games he dosent even look interested.
Surely trying Alex Harris in the next few games is a must.

hibeemikey21
10-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Oh wow.

Beefster
10-03-2013, 03:45 PM
He is either the least confident person ever or just totally disinterested. Not sure how he stayed on the park as long as he did today.

Very poor, looks so slow and the cutting inside every time is so frustrating because th one timehe ran at McHattie, who's murder by the way, he won a free kick and got him booked.

Doyle won about 4 corners after coming on, not by doing anything special but simply by putting the full back under pressure.

Wotherspoon has the heart of a mouse. Constantly terrified to try anything.

CallumHibs07
10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Oh wow.

you disagree? Tell me one good thing he did today.. didn't once even attempt to beat a man, just crossed it (badly) and won the occasional throw or corner. He is keeping Cairney out the team ffs:confused:

Pretty Boy
10-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Wotherspoon has the heart of a mouse. Constantly terrified to try anything.

That's my gut instinct.

Not got the thick skin/arrogant streak needed to be a really decent player.

hibeemikey21
10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
you disagree? Tell me one good thing he did today.. didn't once even attempt to beat a man, just crossed it (badly) and won the occasional throw or corner. He is keeping Cairney out the team ffs:confused:

I will be the first to admit that I am yet to be convinced by him, however, "the most abysmal winger I have ever seen" he is not.

That accolade i reserve for myself.

hibs4thecup1988
10-03-2013, 04:00 PM
People who say done is the worst wiger obviously have not saw alan obtien...sheesh. Not to worry...

truehibernian
10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Never really steps up in a derby - was utterly fed up today at his lack of awareness and want to take the ball up the pitch. He's lapsed into 'cut inside' mode.

Stevenson and Maybury were my men of the match - goal saving tackles both halves (although Maybs should have been penalised for a pen in my opinion).

Pat - at half an hour to go you should have gone for it !!

Heisenberg
10-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Really disappointed with him today. Did nothing and still looks scared of putting in a meaningful tackle. Paddy would be able to sign better in the summer IMO.

hibs4thecup1988
10-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Been told it ws never a pen. I thought it might have been at the time but defo was not

The_Sauz
10-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Every time he got the ball today, he had two players close him down, but at least he got to the byeline, weres DW would just pass it back to AM rather turn and run at a player. DW would be better playing in the 1st division as that will be his level in the future.

hfc rd
10-03-2013, 04:10 PM
He just looks so disinterested. At times I forgot, he was even on the pitch.

Wotherspiniesta
10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Never really steps up in a derby - was utterly fed up today at his lack of awareness and want to take the ball up the pitch. He's lapsed into 'cut inside' mode.

Stevenson and Maybury were my men of the match - goal saving tackles both halves (although Maybs should have been penalised for a pen in my opinion).

Last player to score a Derby winner, no?

Judas Iscariot
10-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Was awful today..

Made that McShattie look like a decent player!

Utter waste of a shirt again

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Todays performance by him is exactly why folk are fed up with him. He looked a different player last week, one we all want to see, but today. :rolleyes:

AK86
10-03-2013, 04:21 PM
I like Spoony He has something about him, but he does frustrate a lot
i wonder how much it is team orders that keeps him from being more attack minded I think he will be away at the end of the season and the player in him will come out
but we will probably let him go and keep Maybury. That will please me :confused:

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I like Spoony He has something about him, but he does frustrate a lot
i wonder how much it is team orders that keeps him from being more attack minded I think he will be away at the end of the season and the player in him will come out
but we will probably let him go and keep Maybury. That will please me :confused:

You want Wotherspoon to play right back?

the_ginger_hibee
10-03-2013, 04:25 PM
I wonder why certain people become more loyal to players than the team? Especially when said players performance is to the detriment of the team.Bizarre.

Anyway, shocker today. So slow and easy going, at times a bit of urgency could have kept a move or progressed play but instead a lazy Wotherspoon killed it.

Not bad every week, good on odd occasion but undeniably poor today. Not consistent/good enough for extention.

Elephant Stone
10-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Woeful.

Hibi
10-03-2013, 04:30 PM
I think when maybury plays he tends to cover for him an awful lot, his first thought tends to be to protect him.

Brightside
10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
It not orders than make you bottle tackles, or never shout for the ball. He was hiding today and what i dont understand is why the manager and coaches arent screaming at him to extract the digit and but a shift in. Him and Doyle are very similar and i wouldnt have either in a hibs shirt.

The Voice Of Reason
10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Waste of a jersey. Sooner his contracts up the better

I agree with this.

He was actually not as bad today as he normally is (and today I would describe his performance as insipid and ineffective at best!) That shows you how bad he normally is !

Anyone who describes his performance today as "tidy" is clearly as deluded as the hearts fans !!!!!:aok:

HibeeN
10-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Todays performance by him is exactly why folk are fed up with him. He looked a different player last week, one we all want to see, but today. :rolleyes:

:agree: I like Spoony, I really do, but a manager needs players he can rely on so he knows that if they pick him, they'll give him a good performance. When Spoony is on form he is very good and offers us some really nice attacking play, but on days like today he is frustrating to watch. We know he has it in him, but he just didn't seem to have the confidence or determination to make it happen today - the fact that he was up against the inexperienced McHattie makes it worse - he could have put him under more pressure.

I'm not one of those saying "get rid" - I think he does have something to offer us - but I don't think his performances (in terms of consistency) merit a place in the starting eleven just now. I actually said in another thread I'd be happy to see him start today after his performance last week, but sadly it seems he can't produce to that level week-in, week-out.

easty
10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
For me, Wotherspoon was not great today, but nor was Done on the opposite side. We played far too many balls on top of Wotherspoon. Are we expecting him to hold off the defender, take it down then run on with it? That's clearly not his game. Play it to his feet or through for him.

He wasn't our least effective player today.

Franck Stanton
10-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Really ? IMO Claros was outstanding today, best Hibs midfielder by the proverbal mile. Always tried to put his foot on the ball, calm things down and if memory correct only made one bad pass all game. As for Maybury's goal - saving tackle, never a penalty. Spoony - so frustrating a player, in past two games he has made a marked differance, not set the heather alight admittedly but made telling contributions all the same. The ONLY thing he did right today was go off at half-time and he even managed to phutt that up by coming back out for the second half.

Hibi
10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Really ? IMO Claros was outstanding today, best Hibs midfielder by the proverbal mile. Always tried to put his foot on the ball, calm things down and if memory correct only made one bad pass all game. As for Maybury's goal - saving tackle, never a penalty. Spoony - so frustrating a player, in past two games he has made a marked differance, not set the heather alight admittedly but made telling contributions all the same. The ONLY thing he did right today was go off at half-time and he even managed to phutt that up by coming back out for the second half.

Football's a funny game. I was once again disappointed by Claros in a derby. I felt he should have been running the show today due to us having an extra man in midfield but didn't show often enough. Still his best performance against them to date though.

Brightside
10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
For me, Wotherspoon was not great today, but nor was Done on the opposite side. We played far too many balls on top of Wotherspoon. Are we expecting him to hold off the defender, take it down then run on with it? That's clearly not his game. Play it to his feet or through for him.

He wasn't our least effective player today.

I cant think of a player who was less effective.

easty
10-03-2013, 04:46 PM

what did Robertson do today? nowt. He'll be a good player for us, but today he was nowhere to be seen.

Elephant Stone
10-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Neither can I. He was playing against a 19 year old who's being playing at this level for about ten minutes and he never threatened once.

Wotherspiniesta
10-03-2013, 04:51 PM
what did Robertson do today? nowt. He'll be a good player for us, but today he was nowhere to be seen.

Spot on.

Think our midfield has been good in the couple of games prior to today. A lot of that has been how we've pushed up higher and Robertson has been a big part of that. For me today, Robertson wasn't getting close enough to Griffiths and in doing so must have touched the ball about two times in 93 minutes.

HibeeN
10-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Really ? IMO Claros was outstanding today, best Hibs midfielder by the proverbal mile. Always tried to put his foot on the ball, calm things down and if memory correct only made one bad pass all game.

He made several really slack passes in midfield today, which I noticed because it's not usually like him.

Football's a funny game. I was once again disappointed by Claros in a derby. I felt he should have been running the show today due to us having an extra man in midfield but didn't show often enough. Still his best performance against them to date though.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed with him - it just looked like he was two different players in different spells in the game. I thought defensively he was good, always running down and making a few good tackles. In fact, in the opening part of the game he seemed really composed and in control, I thought he'd easily be MOTM. But like I said above, there were quite a few slack passes as well which gifted possession back to Hearts when we were under no pressure. Still a good performance though.

Leith Green
10-03-2013, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=HibeeN;3532234]:agree: I like Spoony, I really do, but a manager needs players he can rely on so he knows that if they pick him, they'll give him a good performance. When Spoony is on form he is very good and offers us some really nice attacking play, but on days like today he is frustrating to watch. We know he has it in him, but he just didn't seem to have the confidence or determination to make it happen today - the fact that he was up against the inexperienced McHattie makes it worse - he could have put him under more pressure.

I'm not one of those saying "get rid" - I think he does have something to offer us - but I don't think his performances (in terms of consistency) merit a place in the starting eleven just now. I actually said in another thread I'd be happy to see him start today after his performance last week, but sadFigures ly it seems he can't produce to that level week-in, week-out.

I dont think we can afford to have players who dont give 100 per cent commitment when they arent playing well,He isnt good enough for our first team and he isnt equipped with the attributes required to be a squad player. I think he has been below average in about 70 per cent of his appearances, the rest is made up of some decent and average games and one or two brilliant matches.. Is that enough?? No chance

Hibi
10-03-2013, 04:55 PM
He made several really slack passes in midfield today, which I noticed because it's not usually like him.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed with him - it just looked like he was two different players in different spells in the game. I thought defensively he was good, always running down and making a few good tackles. In fact, in the opening part of the game he seemed really composed and in control, I thought he'd easily be MOTM. But like I said above, there were quite a few slack passes as well which gifted possession back to Hearts when we were under no pressure. Still a good performance though.

I'd agree with that as well, as for the free kicks he dropped into the hearts goalie....

AK86
10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
You want Wotherspoon to play right back?
He has done it in the past. And if it was a straight choice between him and AM then yes

easty
10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I'd agree with that as well, as for the free kicks he dropped into the hearts goalie....

how annoying was that!!

the first one, I thought the ball hung in the air long enough that someone should have been in the space challenging the keeper. the second time was terrible.

bigwheel
10-03-2013, 05:04 PM
He has done it in the past. And if it was a straight choice between him and AM then yes

Can't agree with that...Wotherspoon is not a strong defender...and Maybury had a good game today...defended well...

Beefster
10-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Clancy is way better at RB than both of them. I'd rather sign a better back-up for him.

AK86
10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Can't agree with that...Wotherspoon is not a strong defender...and Maybury had a good game today...defended well...
Yeah he was inspirational against the craft and guile of that fantastic forward line it's his distribution and youthful athleticism that really stands out though

1two
10-03-2013, 05:11 PM
For the sake of his career he should move

He did have a good game in the quarter final I thought

Eyrie
10-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Another frustrating performance. He lacks consistency and pace, and I don't think he's worth keeping for the squad next year.

bigwheel
10-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Claros was my MOM today....endeavour, bit of flair and good in possession...couldn't really fault him....Maybury close second....the sponsors must have been on the beer to give McGivern it...he had a decent second half, but struggled in the first in my opinion...Wotherspoon had a poor shift. he doesn't look particularly fit to me, don't know if he was carrying a knock ??

Franck Stanton
10-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Lets just forget all the positive things he did in the game then shall we ? Claros was a stand-out in our midfield today, cool , composed, had quality written all over him. There were times even two/three yam players around him and still couldn't get the ball off him. Yes a couple of his free kicks were over-cooked but, just goes to show he is human, was BY FAR Man of the Match today.

.Sean.
10-03-2013, 05:53 PM
He must have pictures of Fenlon with another woman or something and be bribing a start, i'd have him nowhere near my first 11 and the sooner his deal is up the better. Confidence player? Imagine him having a stinker at Ibrox when he's playing for Rangers. He'd disintegrate.

martin63
10-03-2013, 05:56 PM
OK not his best game by a long shot but does not deserve the abuse some people give hin throughout the game.)n the players ratings thread he gets slated yet Stevenson gets pass marks. What's that all about? I will say it on here as I said at the game today get off his back he has more assists than any other hibs player but gets slated at every opportunity. I am sorry but I am a Hibs fan and have been all my life and never have I or will I abuse a player the way he has been,

Danderhall Hibs
10-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Keeps running straight into boys like they're going to step to the side to let him through. I'd get Cairney or Harris on from the start next week. Or Doyle. In fact could Taiwo go out there and get KT in the middle?

Heedthebaw
10-03-2013, 06:20 PM
OK not his best game by a long shot but does not deserve the abuse some people give hin throughout the game.)n the players ratings thread he gets slated yet Stevenson gets pass marks. What's that all about? I will say it on here as I said at the game today get off his back he has more assists than any other hibs player but gets slated at every opportunity. I am sorry but I am a Hibs fan and have been all my life and never have I or will I abuse a player the way he has been,

Here here, how's he supposed to gain confidence when his own fans are on his back. One small mistake is made and people are on his back. Yes not his best game but other players didn't perform yet nothing is said. So,e people need to get behind the team more and stop criticising at every opportunity

Fergus52
10-03-2013, 06:22 PM

He beat his man on the outside on multiple occasions, won us a few corners and had an excellent piece of skill that beat two hearts players and allowed him to drive into the box.

You keep up your selective viewing if it makes you feel better though :aok:

HibeeN
10-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Except Cairney :wink: Who will definitely be looking to get back into the team after today.

Harris on the left, Cairney on the right for Motherwell?

andy1875
10-03-2013, 06:30 PM
At times I really do wonder if he's in mid 50s, no a young fit lad in his early 20s. Drives me mad with how slow he is at times. Will not be fussed in the slightest if he leaves in the summer. Not being overally critical but he hasn't progressed enough since he broke into the team.

Winston Ingram
10-03-2013, 06:32 PM
The boy clearly has talent. He was superb last week:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
10-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Except Cairney :wink: Who will definitely be looking to get back into the team after today.

Harris on the left, Cairney on the right for Motherwell?

Would love to see the stats, but I'm sure Spoony has had more assists and scored more goals than Cairney.

How long before Cairney gets a thread slating his performance every 2nd week? :rolleyes:

Both useful players who helped us into our lofty position earlier this season. Something that gets overlooked by most on here.

HibeeN
10-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Would love to see the stats, but I'm sure Spoony has had more assists and scored more goals than Cairney.

How long before Cairney gets a thread slating his performance every 2nd week? :rolleyes:

Both useful players who helped us into our lofty position earlier this season. Something that gets overlooked by most on here.

Spoony has 5 assists and 3 goals (4 including SC)
Cairney has 6 assists and 2 goals

Not much between them in terms of stats. Cairney has (rightfully) been dropped/benched because of poor performances lately, and it's just in my opinion when he is on form he offers more than Spoony. Right now, they've both been putting in disappointing performances so there isn't much to go between. If Spoony has a bad game and Cairney has been training well, then he should be replaced and vice versa.

hugo boss
10-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Thought he was slow and lethargic today,am not slating the boy but no consistent enough for me!!!!:flag:

Bishop Hibee
10-03-2013, 07:10 PM

It was like playing with 10 men with him in the team. Played ok v Killie but anonymous today. Needs to get up to speed quickly.

Thought Spoony should have been given more of the ball esp 2nd half. Not much support from Maybury mind you. If he does go at the end of the season it wont be a great loss.

Beefster
10-03-2013, 07:17 PM

Cairney's been here for about 3/4 of a season and under-performed for less than half of that. Wotherspoon has been under-performing for 3/4 of a season for the last three seasons.

Cameron1875
10-03-2013, 07:20 PM

Why are you obsessed with Wotherspoon?! I understand people can have favourite players but your constant defending of mostly shocking performances makes you look a bit daft.

Considering Spoony had Mchattie turned inside out in last derby at ER then there's no logic as to why he didn't just run at him.

truehibernian
10-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Spoony has 5 assists and 3 goals (4 including SC)
Cairney has 6 assists and 2 goals

Not much between them in terms of stats. Cairney has (rightfully) been dropped/benched because of poor performances lately, and it's just in my opinion when he is on form he offers more than Spoony. Right now, they've both been putting in disappointing performances so there isn't much to go between. If Spoony has a bad game and Cairney has been training well, then he should be replaced and vice versa.

D was terrible today - as he is most derby games. He is without doubt a 'confidence' player - he ends up being a passenger. If he's signed for The Rangers, good - he's simply a player who you'd never remember other than his deflected winner v Hearts. Sorry to be so blunt, but other young players will easily fill the gap.

Lovely guy, but his level is without doubt below SPL. Three seasons, very little impression

TAHibby
10-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I don't understand what it is with spoony tbh, he's shown lots of times this season what he can do and is capable of but he's very inconsistent. I think he loses confidence very easily especially at home when support can be less forgiving. Something will go wrong and his performance drops till he gets subbed off...

Wotherspiniesta
10-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Why are you obsessed with Wotherspoon?! I understand people can have favourite players but your constant defending of mostly shocking performances makes you look a bit daft.

Considering Spoony had Mchattie turned inside out in last derby at ER then there's no logic as to why he didn't just run at him.

If you have a look through my posts, I always give my opinion on his performance on a game-by-game basis. Some weeks he plays well, which I comment on, some games he plays poorly, which I agree with after the game, then games like today he plays so-so and, as I did already on this thread, make a remark on that.

Wotherspoon's not my favouite player. Griffiths is.

But when I see folk having a go at him after just about every match he plays I feel I should defend him as most of it is unwarranted. If you have a look on this forum, you'll probably find more threads slating Wotherspoon than any other player this season. And all that from a guy who, as stated earlier, has contributed quite a fair bit this season in terms of goals and assists.

Even after a game like today when albeit he wasn't at his best, but retained possesion quite neatly on a few occasions, you STILL get 2 threads started hammering the guy. He's become a bit of a scapegoat for when things go wrong on here IMO, and he deserves to be defended at times.

If that makes me daft then so be it.

3pm
10-03-2013, 07:35 PM
His best spell was just before he went off.

hibsbollah
10-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Spoony started the season well, but hes finished it the same as his previous two seasons; ie-playing like our weak link.

I think he'll join Deegan, Maybury, Kujabi and Kuqi out the door in the summer. Lewis deserves a new deal but the midfield needs some new blood.

Since90+2
10-03-2013, 07:38 PM
The problem with Wotherspoon is he lacks the physical attributes to be a top professional player.

He is very neat and tidy on the ball and has a good touch but he lacks the pace or upper body strength to be a top level player.

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2013, 07:38 PM
He's just very inconsistent, we need less of those types of players, he's not the only one we have. Fenlon has us defending much better than we have in years, its only a matter of time before we go on and improve again. :top marks:pfgwa

3pm
10-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Tin hat time here.

While I believe he should move on for his own good, the system we play does not help him. I don't believe there is a real attacking midfielder in the centre 3 so he lacks support when it comes to the business end of the pitch. Yep, Robertson has done OK getting forward but he's not a McGinlay type.

I am astounded that Griffiths has scored 22 goals in that team but because of his talent and self belief he gets on with it.

Wotherspoon doesn't have that self belief. He needs to be much more agressive as well.

lord bunberry
10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't understand why there is always a thread slating spoony every other week. He was no worse than many of his team mates today. For some reason he seems to be an easy target when we don't win. Personally I thought he was half decent in spells but not great overall but his display doesn't deserve to be singled out

Brightside
10-03-2013, 08:23 PM
He put no effort into that game today. I will support every single player that gives his best. He simply did not try a leg and did his best to hide through the game. In those circumstances I'd ask that he be hooked.

Green Fish
10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
DW has some beautiful skills and cuts inside really well but its as if defenders know what he is goin to do. A the moment he doesnt seem to hsve the confidence to take a man on and beat him. Folk were screaming at him to make for the byline but it never happened.

Just wonder if his hearts still in it and if he wants pastures new.

What has happened to Cairney?

Since90+2
10-03-2013, 08:32 PM
He put no effort into that game today. I will support every single player that gives his best. He simply did not try a leg and did his best to hide through the game. In those circumstances I'd ask that he be hooked.

Well that is just absolute nonsense.

Brightside
10-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Thats my opinion based on the 90 mins today. He tackles with a soft leg (something that will end up wrecking him), he turned his back on many occasions, he had multiple chances to push up and support the attack - which he jogged for. Now there is either an injury being carried or he is not trying. No young player in that position can be that slow and have so little stamina.

Greenblood70
10-03-2013, 08:39 PM

Perfectly sums up his lack of performance today...he needs a rocket up his erchie...was so poor it was infuriating today and lost posession almost every time he received the ball. i used to have high hopes for him but mentally he just doesn't have it and seems scared of his own shadow. You can accurately predict the quality of performance from Spoony based on his first touch in a game. If it's **** he usually is...and more often than not that is the case.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 09:09 PM
If you have a look through my posts, I always give my opinion on his performance on a game-by-game basis. Some weeks he plays well, which I comment on, some games he plays poorly, which I agree with after the game, then games like today he plays so-so and, as I did already on this thread, make a remark on that.

Wotherspoon's not my favouite player. Griffiths is.

But when I see folk having a go at him after just about every match he plays I feel I should defend him as most of it is unwarranted. If you have a look on this forum, you'll probably find more threads slating Wotherspoon than any other player this season. And all that from a guy who, as stated earlier, has contributed quite a fair bit this season in terms of goals and assists.

Even after a game like today when albeit he wasn't at his best, but retained possesion quite neatly on a few occasions, you STILL get 2 threads started hammering the guy. He's become a bit of a scapegoat for when things go wrong on here IMO, and he deserves to be defended at times.

If that makes me daft then so be it.

He's the new Stevenson

bigwheel
10-03-2013, 09:09 PM

This is useless analysis...he ha a bad game , probably could have upped his effort, but to say he didn't try at all is simply nonsense....

hibsbollah
10-03-2013, 09:22 PM
He's the new Stevenson

How did you rate his performance today Jonny? I dont think the comments on here are ott.

Greenblood70
10-03-2013, 09:22 PM
He's the new Stevenson

I don't think people ever question Stevenson's commitment and application, not so with Wotherspoon, who too often gives the impression he has not put 100% in. He's shown in flashes he has ability but I question his mentality, too often his contribution can be predicted by his first touch/pass in a game. He simply does not have it at this level imo.

sahib
10-03-2013, 09:27 PM
How did you rate his performance today Jonny? I dont think the comments on here are ott.

I do.
Decent player, good skills.

Jonnyboy
10-03-2013, 09:30 PM

He wasn't great but accusing him of not trying is just nonsense IMO.

J-C
10-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Out of pure interest is Wotherspoon, left or right footed.

I ask because he's constantly played on the right but continually cuts inside onto his left foot, very frustrating considering we need a wide player and not an inside forward.

hibsbollah
10-03-2013, 09:42 PM
He wasn't great but accusing him of not trying is just nonsense IMO.

Granted.

Pete
10-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I thought he started out OK then fell apart when a few things didn't come off and he heard the crowd get on his back. His confidence just seems to drain too easily at times and he turns from a cog in the machine to the weak link. Even his "gee up" to the East looked unconvincing and it was as if he was trying to pick himself up.

He should look at Doyle who plays like he is playing his last ever game of football every chance he gets. If Spoony had his drive, determination and self-confidence he would probably be playing at a higher level.