PDA

View Full Version : Goal Line Technology

hfc rd
10-03-2013, 01:22 PM
The sooner it's implemented, the better!

Northernhibee
10-03-2013, 01:27 PM
The sooner it's implemented, the better!

The sooner that referees are made responsible and accountable for their actions, the better.

If we miss out on a higher placing in the league and lose hundreds of thousands of pounds as a result, what happens to the ref? Nothing.

KWJ
10-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Can it please be retrospectively introduced!

Pretty Boy
10-03-2013, 01:53 PM
That didn't need goal line technology, that needed eyes.

Disgusting decision.

heidtheba
10-03-2013, 01:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFAJeMTCcAAgzm0.jpg

JoeTortolanoFanClub
10-03-2013, 01:54 PM

Embarrassing.

CraigHibee
10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Shocking decision, how the ref/linesman missed that? God only knows!

Westie1875
10-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Disgusting decision.

Spot on, if you need goal line technology for that you should never be officiating any game

PopsicleManTony
10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Im absolutely gutted.

hibee_girl
10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
In the last 3 games we've had 2 penalties given against us that were never penalties and now this awful decision.

Newry Hibs
10-03-2013, 01:58 PM
It was funny when it was Lampard.

Koom
10-03-2013, 02:03 PM
The sooner it's implemented, the better!should not have needed it in this case..a shocking decision, whats the linesman thinking about??

Hibeesforever
10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
It was funny when it was Lampard.

Wow, that isn't a camera trick either!
Can we write to FIFA ?

HibernianJK
10-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Football shouldn't need technology for decisions like these. It's just so ****ing obvious.

God Petrie
10-03-2013, 02:06 PM
As opposed to technology how about officials who haven't been out on the piss the night before rendering them incapable of making the most blatantly obvious decisions.

Pretty Boy
10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
One thing I notice about tennis is that since hawkeye was introduced you actually see how good the officials are. They rarely get it wrong and almost never when it's obvious.

Could football say the same? Thats part of the reason goal line technology continues to take so long, it would show up just how bad refereesare.

cleanyman
10-03-2013, 02:17 PM
It's not even a hard decision, we didn't need technology for that one.

It's a terrible, terrible piece of officiating from the Assistant.

NOLA
10-03-2013, 02:17 PM
In this day and age when the technology is available its NEGLIGENCE not to have it.

blindsummit
10-03-2013, 02:18 PM
The SFA don't want it as it will prevent their "officials" from making convenient mistakes to favour certain teams.....

danhibees1875
10-03-2013, 02:20 PM
We just need competent officials.

iwasthere1972
10-03-2013, 02:22 PM
The SFA don't want it as it will prevent their "officials" from making convenient mistakes to favour certain teams.....

Were you the guilty lineman today? Your username gave you away.

blindsummit
10-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Were you the guilty lineman today? Your username gave you away.

That would have been tricky as I'm in Canada! Though I could see it was a goal even from over here! :greengrin

wookie70
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
No need for technology. There were thousands in the ground in a worse position than the lino and ref could see it was over. As the shot didnt come from open play you would have thought it was an even easier decision for the officials. We are due a few good decisions

plhibs
10-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Agree 100% with all the above but i wished that Doyle had charged into the goal to follow up instead of stopping and jumping with his hand in the air. Dont know if he would get to it before Webster but ?
Still cant get over how decisions are going against us so often .

The_Todd
10-03-2013, 02:38 PM
That would have been tricky as I'm in Canada! Though I could see it was a goal even from over here! :greengrin

You were still closer to the action than the lino, then.

sauzee's-socks
10-03-2013, 02:39 PM
One thing I notice about tennis is that since hawkeye was introduced you actually see how good the officials are. They rarely get it wrong and almost never when it's obvious.

Could football say the same? Thats part of the reason goal line technology continues to take so long, it would show up just how bad refereesare.

I agree with the thing about the tennis. But they only have to watch one thing...the lines.

The speed that shot was going, from about 40 yards, trying to watch for offside at the same time, it's a near impossible task.

Thought Leigh was very dignified in his interview with Sky, it's hard to believe some of the stuff he gets accused of when he speaks with such poise. What a player he could be if he kept his mind on the job.

sauzee's-socks
10-03-2013, 02:44 PM

I agree with the thing about the tennis. But they only have to watch one thing...the lines.

The speed that shot was going, from about 40 yards, trying to watch for offside at the same time, it's a near impossible task.

Thought Leigh was very dignified in his interview with Sky, it's hard to believe some of the stuff he gets accused of when he speaks with such poise. What a player he could be if he kept his mind on the job.

10-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Absolutely unbelievable! The linesman MUST have seen that, its not even ****ing close!!!!!

Cheating absolute blatant cheating and I hope he is punished for it!

How many times are these incompetent ********s gonna screw us out of 3 points! Just a few weeks back we were robbed of 3 points at tannadice because of an absolutly ridiculous penalty decision and now this!

Goal line technology has to come into the game now. In this day and age i cant believe we don't already have it in football. Far too many incompetent clowns calling the big decisions wrong and costing teams points etc.

10-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Disgusting decision.

True! Wasn't even close!

He saw it perfectly well, but the cheating ******* just chose to not give it!

Hibercelona
10-03-2013, 03:17 PM
We don't need goal line "technology".

All we need is someone watching the reply to give a quick thumbs up or thumbs down to the officials.

It's that ****ing simple!

MWHIBBIES
10-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Disgusting decision.Decisions are usually at least up for debate though, it still utterly beyond me how he ******ed it up, there wasn't even a decision to make.

GGTH1-0
10-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Can't understand how the referee didn't see it. Simply not good enough...

One o the worst decisions I have ever seen.

CropleyWasGod
10-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Decisions are usually at least up for debate though, it still utterly beyond me how he ******ed it up, there wasn't even a decision to make.

Yes, there was.

He was at ground level, whereas most of us were at an elevated position. He didn't have the view that most of us had.

DoonTheSlope
10-03-2013, 03:30 PM
One of the greatest goals ever scored in a derby (40 yard free kick) deleted from history by incompetent officials. Pathetic refereeing

MWHIBBIES
10-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes, there was.

He was at ground level, whereas most of us were at an elevated position. He didn't have the view that most of us had.Fair enough but he should be looking right along the line, few Hibs fans will have had a better view than that, I didn't from upper FF and I knew instantly it was in.

CropleyWasGod
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Fair enough but he should be looking right along the line, few Hibs fans will have had a better view than that, I didn't from upper FF and I knew instantly it was in.

He wasn't though, and that was his mistake in hindsight. He wasn't near the goal-line..... presumably, and perhaps correctly, he was watching for offsides. He can't do that on the goal-line.

HoboHarry
10-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Fair enough but he should be looking right along the line, few Hibs fans will have had a better view than that, I didn't from upper FF and I knew instantly it was in.
He was not not meant to be looking along the line. He was where he was meant to be - in line with the second last defender. To have a set of eyes on the goal line would involve an additional official which, if I remember correctly, they had at the World Cup and they still got the Lampard decision wrong.

Craig_in_Prague
10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
I know goal line technology is coming, but IMHO I dont understand for situations like today, why there is not an official in the stands that is watching on a screen & is hooked up to the ref. and can instantly communicate to him.
I understand games need to flow and all, but how difficult is it to just use the cameras and get things like this right.
Football is so frustrating.

IndieHibby
10-03-2013, 03:56 PM
If the linesmans job is to check for offsides, then it's the ref's job to check for everthing else - including goals. How can the ref claim that there is a good reason for missing this goal? I mean, what possible chain of events led to him missing that goal?!!!

If the ref's can't do it, then GLT it is.

CropleyWasGod
10-03-2013, 04:08 PM
If the linesmans job is to check for offsides, then it's the ref's job to check for everthing else - including goals. How can the ref claim that there is a good reason for missing this goal? I mean, what possible chain of events led to him missing that goal?!!!

If the ref's can't do it, then GLT it is.

He was at ground level. He didn't have the view that most of us had.

I would challenge anyone to make a call on that, from the ref's position.

Eyrie
10-03-2013, 04:11 PM

I agree that there were probably players in the line of the ref's sight, but what was the linesman's excuse? Was he standing in the way of his guide dog?

CropleyWasGod
10-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I agree that there were probably players in the line of the ref's sight, but what was the linesman's excuse? Was he standing in the way of his guide dog?

As has been said, he was in line with the second-last defender, checking for offside. That's where he is supposed to be. Again, though, he is at ground level.

bigwheel
10-03-2013, 04:15 PM

It was a direct free kick...surely the ref should take a position that gives him a decent view of the goal....

CropleyWasGod
10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
It was a direct free kick...surely the ref should take a position that gives him a decent view of the goal....

No matter his position, unless it is 5 yards away from the goal, I think it would be very difficult to make a call from ground level.

Eyrie
10-03-2013, 04:27 PM
As has been said, he was in line with the second-last defender, checking for offside. That's where he is supposed to be. Again, though, he is at ground level.

Unlike some, I agree that the linesman was in the correct position on the touchline. But there was no-one in his line of sight to the goal so the ground level argument that excuses the referee doesn't let the linesman off the hook.

Pretty Boy
10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Unlike some, I agree that the linesman was in the correct position on the touchline. But there was no-one in his line of sight to the goal so the ground level argument that excuses the referee doesn't let the linesman off the hook.

This.

It wasn't his positioning that was wrong, it was just a shocking decision.

Even at ground level, the ball was so far beyond the post and because of the backspin almost paused there for half a second, he simply HAS to see that is a goal.

CropleyWasGod
10-03-2013, 04:32 PM

I am maybe not explaining myself well enough here. :greengrin It's not about line-of-sight, it's about elevation.

For most of us in an elevated position, the call was easier to make. However, I don't think that it would be as easy to make, in real-time, when you're 20 yards away with an elevation of only 6 feet.

I know I wasn't convinced in real-time, and I think I would struggle to decide from the lino's position.

I'm old and blind, though.

Sir David Gray
10-03-2013, 04:35 PM
It's simply unacceptable that the authorities are continuing to prevent moves to implement goal line technology in football.

It just has to be brought in, not just for goal line decisions but also for things like the incident at Tannadice for whether an incident occurred inside or outside the box.

There's just no excuse for not bringing it in.

Treadstone
10-03-2013, 04:36 PM
For most of us in an elevated position, the call was easier to make. However, I don't think that it would be as easy to make, in real-time, when you're 20 yards away with an elevation of only 6 feet.

Think you're being a bit generous this was not an especially difficult decision rather an official that was just not up to the job.

Eyrie
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I am maybe not explaining myself well enough here. :greengrin It's not about line-of-sight, it's about elevation.

I know I wasn't convinced in real-time, and I think I would struggle to decide from the lino's position.

I'm old and blind, though.

I have faith that you'd still have got that decision right :aok:

Onion
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
We just need competent officials.

Technology solutions to goal lines, offside etc will happen - only a matter of time. The sooner we take incompetent humans out of the loop the better.

Onion
10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
One of the greatest goals ever scored in a derby (40 yard free kick) deleted from history by incompetent officials. Pathetic refereeing

Exactly what I'm thinking. Tragic that such a great goal was disallowed by sheer incompetence.

The ref and assistant should have be ready for LG's strike and realised there was a good chance it would be on target. They are a disgrace to refereeing.

10-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Exactly what I'm thinking. Tragic that such a great goal was disallowed by sheer incompetence.

The ref and assistant should have be ready for LG's strike and realised there was a good chance it would be on target. They are a disgrace to refereeing.

:agree: pair of bloody idiots! hope they watched the replay after the game and felt utterly mortified that they made such an unbelievably ridiculous decision! mind you having said that they proberly don't give a toss and will quite happily collect their wages and be gone.

Its clowns like them that ruin scottish football even more!

hibbybrian
10-03-2013, 04:52 PM

Direct free kick - where should the ref be positioned

not sure what he's expecting to see from there :confused:

HibeesLA
10-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Direct free kick - where should the ref be positioned

not sure what he's expecting to see from there :confused:

Unfortunately, he's in the correct position at the start of the free kick. He's looking for offside. However, he is supposed to follow the ball to the goal line if there I a direct attempt in goal.

Mr White
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I suppose its the inverse of Paul hanlons "goal" last season against the pars that was nowhere near over the line, just a shame that that one didn't make a bit of difference to us really but todays one should have won us a derby and helped our chances of finishing in the top six. Amazing amount of spin on the ball for it to be that far behind the line and not bounce up into the net or even back onto the bar.

hibbybrian
10-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, he's in the correct position at the start of the free kick. He's looking for offside. However, he is supposed to follow the ball to the goal line if there I a direct attempt in goal.

I reckon you're talking about the assistant ref watching for offside - my question was regarding the position of the ref :wink: