PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths Wolves contract

Winston Ingram
09-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Anyone know how long it is?

I thought he signed a 2 1/2 yr deal in Jan 2011 yet Dean Saunders is saying “I hope he keeps banging them in because I have told him to come back in pre-season ready to try and get into my team. There’s no release clause. It is window to window.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-saunders-stands-decision-leigh-1730437?

By my maths he won't be going anywhere near them in pre-season as he is out of contract:confused:

Hermit Crab
09-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Free agent as of the summer, can talk to clubs now I think.

East Coast Hibe
09-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Anyone know how long it is?

I thought he signed a 2 1/2 yr deal in Jan 2011 yet Dean Saunders is saying “I hope he keeps banging them in because I have told him to come back in pre-season ready to try and get into my team. There’s no release clause. It is window to window.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-saunders-stands-decision-leigh-1730437?

By my maths he won't be going anywhere near them in pre-season as he is out of contract:confused:

They have a one year option on him - I think they have to offer him increased terms though

See quote from this mornings Scotsman (and Record) -
Hibs dealt Griffiths blow
It has emerged that Hibs striker Griffiths will not be at the club next pre-season. Pat Fenlon had hoped to tie up the club’s top scorer on a permanent deal, but Wolves boss Dean Saunders now wants the striker back in the Black Country for pre-season training.
Saunders said: “Leigh is scoring for fun at the moment. When I came to the club I’d only seen him in one training session.
“We said we would monitor him and I hope he keeps banging the goals in because I’ve told him to come back here for pre-season training, ready to try to get a place in my team.” (Daily Record)

FromTheCapital
09-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Hopefully with Leigh being a diehard Hibs fan he would prefer to stay here?
If you take Griffiths's goals out of the team this season then we could well have been in a relegation fight again.
In the end, it all comes down to if Leigh wants to play for Wolves or Hibs...

Andy74
09-03-2013, 11:20 AM
If you take Griffiths's goals out of the team this season then we could well have been in a relegation fight again.
Not really as he will have a contract at Wolves to stick to.

East Coast Hibe
09-03-2013, 11:22 AM

I don't think it's quite as simple as that mate. Wolves have an option of a one year extension, and if they decide to take up that option, then he is a Wolves player for another year - whether he wants to go somewhere else or not.

Makes you wonder why we did not pay Wolves the £100K they wanted in January :confused:

(edited to say that they would have possibly negotiated down to £75K ??)

Mon Dieu4
09-03-2013, 11:24 AM
He is too good for the old 3rd division because that's where they are headed

Hibbyradge
09-03-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't think it's quite as simple as that mate. Wolves have an option of a one year extension, and if they decide to take up that option, then he is a Wolves player for another year - whether he wants to go somewhere else or not.

Makes you wonder why we did not pay Wolves the £100K they wanted in January :confused:

Where was this reported?

FromTheCapital
09-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Not really as he will have a contract at Wolves to stick to.
I thought it ran out at the end of the season? :confused:

FromTheCapital
09-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Oh I see... Completely agree that he should have been signed long term in January.

Fergus52
09-03-2013, 11:37 AM

If you take Griffiths out the team we would have had a different striker on a relatively decent wage.

This statement is becoming so over-used and it doesn't even mean anything.

Take away the goals from any teams main striker and they will be in a far worse position.

FromTheCapital
09-03-2013, 11:40 AM
If you take Griffiths out the team we would have had a different striker on a relatively decent wage.

This statement is becoming so over-used and it doesn't even mean anything.

Take away the goals from any teams main striker and they will be in a far worse position.
Name a striker who Hibs could have got on a decent wage that would have scored the goals Griffiths has... :confused:

StevieC
09-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Oh I see... Completely agree that he should have been signed long term in January.

That's making the assumption that a deal could have been struck that suited both parties. We still have players on the books that would need to be moved on to free up wages for a deal.

Who's to say that the statements from Wolves are not just bluffs to get some cash in the summer? It would be a risk for them to increase wages for a player that hasn't kicked a ball for them for a season.

Jack Hackett
09-03-2013, 11:49 AM

Considering that Saunders had only just started at Wolves, and had Leigh down at Molineux for a few days during our break, likely for an assessment and to get Leighs views on where his future lay, I'm doubtful that he was on offer to Hibs or anyone else at the time.

Winston Ingram
09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
So is it definite they have a 1 yr option?

Fergus52
09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Name a striker who Hibs could have got on a decent wage that would have scored the goals Griffiths has... :confused:

If you read my post properly, I never said we could have. However Billy Mackay and Niall McGinn are in our price range and have both scored about the same amount of goals. I'd still rather have Griffiths.

Read my post again though, because you've missed my point.

Macaroon
09-03-2013, 11:53 AM

Are you actually claiming that there is no-one out there, that we can afford, who could do the same job Griffiths has done? He's good but he's not van Nistelrooy.

Barely a few years ago we had a front line of Anthony Stokes and Derek Riordan.

If Griffiths had left we would have found someone to do a job, he is on a good wage and we could have attracted good strikers with that money. By no means would we be fighting for relegation..

Fergus52
09-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Are you actually claiming that there is no-one out there, that we can afford, who could do the same job Griffiths has done? He's good but he's not van Nistelrooy.

Barely a few years ago we had a front line of Anthony Stokes and Derek Riordan.

If Griffiths had left we would have found someone to do a job, he is on a good wage and we could have attracted good strikers with that money. By no means would we be fighting for relegation..

:agree:.

Take away the contribution of any team's main attacker and they'll seem far worse.

Motherwell with Higdon. ICT with Billy Mackay. Aberdeen with McGinn. Man Utd with RVP. Barca and Real and Messi and Ronaldo.

Jack Hackett
09-03-2013, 12:01 PM

His contract ends in the summer, so if they are planning to have him back for pre-season training, the answer to that would have to be 'yes'

cam75
09-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Pat was ready to make moves in January regards a striker,I can't see how this changes if LG leaves a half decent player will get goals up here and look good !

hibsmad
09-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Where do people think we should be hoping Wolves finish this season? Will we have more or less chance of keeping him if they are relegated?

My feeling is that if they are relegated then surely Griffiths won't want to go back to a club where he has not enjoyed the best of experiences so far and who's fans don't think much of him, to play in League 1. I know he still has a contract but it is only for a year and we have seen countless times how much of a part player power can influence these types of situations.

However on the flip side, maybe if Wolves do stay in the Championship then they will still feel that Leigh is not up to the job.

Off course we then have the problem that if Wolves do decide to sell (after taking up the option of a further year) then there will no doubt be other clubs who are willing to pay more.

Ah **** it, he'll probably be away so let's just enjoy watching him for the remainder of this season.

Winston Ingram
09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
His contract ends in the summer, so if they are planning to have him back for pre-season training, the answer to that would have to be 'yes'

I get the fact that Dean Saunders expects him back but I'm assuming that because he's just in the door he may not know

Jack Hackett
09-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I get the fact that Dean Saunders expects him back but I'm assuming that because he's just in the door he may not know

Saunders had him down at Molinieux in January, so he'll be fully aware of the contract situation

Kiddo
09-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Even with them having a one year option he can still turn it dow surely?:confused:

Jack Hackett
09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Even with them having a one year option he can still turn it dow surely?:confused:

No mate. It will be a contractual obligation.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM

If we lose him because of this then Petrie really does have questions to answered by the fans..

West hamBERNIAN
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Was thinking the same thing, not often these days the clubs hold a player if he wants away, if he does want away.

jdships
09-03-2013, 12:27 PM

This was just a rumour no one/body ever confirmed it and the players I spoke to laughed it off :confused:

Jack Hackett
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Was thinking the same thing, not often these days the clubs hold a player if he wants away, if he does want away.

Everybody seems to be missing the point that Leigh had a face to face with Saunders just a few weeks ago, after which Leigh's loan with us was extended. I think that it's highly likely Leigh was happy to come back here on the understanding that the situation would be reviewed in the summer. This is exactly what is happening

East Coast Hibe
09-03-2013, 12:38 PM
This was just a rumour no one/body ever confirmed it and the players I spoke to laughed it off :confused:

I think it was more than a rumour, however only Hibs and Wolves will know the facts. I think if we had offered £100K (or close enough), then a deal would have been done (That was possibly before Saunders arrived right enough)

Jack Hackett
09-03-2013, 12:45 PM
I think it was more than a rumour, however only Hibs and Wolves will know the facts. I think if we had offered £100K (or close enough), then a deal would have been done (That was possibly before Saunders arrived right enough)

:agree:

It was. There was bad blood between Leigh and Solbakken, who stated that he wouldn't have Leigh back. The whole situation changed when Saunders took over

Dan Sarf
09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
It's not all over yet. All it would take is Saunders to be sacked and the Suarez Of The North could be playing for us again next season.

:flag:

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-03-2013, 01:36 PM
If you take him out of the team we would have struggled to score. Fair enough. But injuries and suspension would equally mean that we would be without him. We would still be short of decent cover?

down-the-slope
09-03-2013, 01:55 PM
not that I really want to remind folks - but his time back at Wolves was blackened in Jan with that Tweet...which may have been a crucial factor in them letting him stay to seasons end.

He has knuckled down and again hit form....things get forgotten quickly when a player is on form.....Saunders in overseeing a potential double relegation...of course he is not going to miss an opportunity to improve things..

Balls in Wolves court...

Leishy1995
09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
If he doesn't sign with us, we should simply be grateful to have seen him in such form.

If he does, I'll be happier than any living man.

Winston Ingram
09-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Saunders had him down at Molinieux in January, so he'll be fully aware of the contract situation

He doesn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the box. When questioned about why he didn't keep him his response was that he only saw him in 1 training session. Who's fault is that?

If he wanted to see him more he could of 1. Make him stay for more training sessions, 2. Watch him in a game or 3. Watch a DVD of a game.

That level of cluelessness suggests to me that he could very well not know

Nevi_SOL
09-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Enoch Showunmi :na na:

.Sean.
09-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Gut-feeling is he'll sign with us permanently in the summer.

madabouthibs
09-03-2013, 02:28 PM
To be honest, to have a player like him on his form and wages for a season and a half is a pretty good bit of business from Hibs. Yes, we might have been able to sign him in January, or before, but I think we should be grateful we've had him this season regardless of what happens next.
There's a good chance that if we'd signed him on a 2 or 3 year deal back in the beginning, he'd be on his way to bigger things soon anyway, albeit with a bit of cash our way.
Either way, he has the opportunity to become a Hibs Legend in May. :agree:

J-C
09-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I know there's this year option thing but surely it also needs the player to agree to the extra year addition, if the original contract was 2.5 years( with 1 year option ) surely it needs both parties to agree to the extra year. :confused:

lord bunberry
09-03-2013, 03:13 PM
It's not all over yet. All it would take is Saunders to be sacked and the Suarez Of The North could be playing for us again next season.

:flag:

I prefer to describe suarez as the griffiths of the south

Sanger
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I prefer to describe suarez as the griffiths of the south

Leigh been telling folk in the Bell that he's signed for Celtic

sahib
09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I can't see Hibs hanging on to Leigh. I would be expecting him to go, even if we had him on a five year contract, never mind a loan. I wish I shared the, Micawber like, optimism of the posters, that think he will be easily replaced. We struggled when Stokes left and we may do again this time.

East Coast Hibe
09-03-2013, 04:22 PM

What's the Bell ? (is it a pub ??)

SteveHFC
09-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I can't see Hibs hanging on to Leigh. I would be expecting him to go, even if we had him on a five year contract, never mind a loan. I wish I shared the, Micawber like, optimism of the posters, that think he will be easily replaced. We struggled when Stokes left and we may do again this time.

We will replace Leigh with Amadou Konte :cb

Sanger
09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
What's the Bell ? (is it a pub ??)

A pub in Causewayside. His pal's ma told my wife!

HibeeN
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
If he still has a year's option on his contract at Wolves then there's no way he could have signed for Celtic though.

Aldo
09-03-2013, 04:35 PM
We'll see come the summer. Just because a team wants him doesn't mean to say he will go.

I still think he'll sign a 2 or 3 year deal with us in the summer.

East Coast Hibe
09-03-2013, 04:40 PM
A pub in Causewayside. His pal's ma told my wife!

So does Griffiths go into the pub or his pals ma ??

Sanger
09-03-2013, 04:42 PM
So does Griffiths go into the pub or his pals ma ??

Both!

East Coast Hibe
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Both!

Ah Okay

I would have thought he was more of a George Street man myself !